Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 77 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 77 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Howard E. When Ralph was sixteen years old he entered the Glenn Martin Auto
Machine Shop, and later, when Martin began to make aeroplanes, he helped him with
the first plane ever constructed in Santa Ana. Martin went East after a few years, and
became famous. Then Ralph entered the employ of the William F. Lutz Company,
and he also worked for the Santa Ana Commercial Company, and it was while there
that he started his own shop, in 1915. A. C. and Ralph E. Williams, father and son,
became interested in the manufacture of "Silver Beam" spotlights, and they enlarged
their factory; soon, however, removing to Los Angeles, where they were afforded
greater facilities. Ralph is now secretary and manager, and A. C. is vice-president,
and the company is known as the Williams Manufacturing Company, and is incor-
porated under the laws of California. Ernest R.. the second son in the order of birth,
is foreman of the machine shop in the Williams Manufacturing Companj-, and is an
expert tool maker. He married Miss Marguerite Ruth Brown, of Princeton, N. J.
He enlisted in the recent war, and served his country from January 1 to December 3,
1918. -Albert G. is a graduate from the Tustin grammer school, class of 1920.

Mrs. Williams was active in Red Cross work during the World War, and the
whole family generously supported the various loan drives. Mr. and Mrs. Williams
are both members of the Fraternal Aid Union, in which Mr. Williams has gone
through the various chairs. They also belong to the Methodist Church. Mr. Wil-
liams is a Democrat, but not an office seeker, and believes in both trying to make
the world better, and in enjoj'ing the world as it is.

WILLIAM T. MITCHELL.— .\n aggressive and successful real estate operator
who has attained both influence and affluence despite the handicaps of early life, is
William T. Mitchell, a native of Cedar County. Mo., where he was born on a farm
on .August 9. 1866. His father was James C. Mitchell, a farmer, and he married Miss
Jane Fleeman, who shared tlie hard work of an agricultural life.

Because of the conditions at home. William enjoyed but very limited educational
advantages, and when the opportunity presented itself, he learned and followed the
carpenter's trade. In 1903 he came to Santa Ana, and for a while he worked as a
carpenter for A. C. Black. Then, with C. G. Ramsey he engaged in contracting, and
finally he undertook contracting and building for himself. He has erected many of
the better class residences in the city.

In 1918, on account of war conditions. Mr. Mitchell entered the real estate field,
and therein he has been very successful. His practical experience as a builder, and his
wide knowledge of realty and other matters -in California, together with his good
judgment and high sense of honor, have enabled him to be of much service to others
in advising them reliably as to purchase, sales, or investments.

On Christmas Day, 1889, Mr. Mitchell was married to Sarah Elizabeth Savage,
pnd three children have blessed their union. Cammie B. is Mrs. L. S. Haven; and
there are Philip T. and John B. The family attend the Christian Church, and Mr. and
Mrs. Mitchell have long been active workers in the cause of prohibition.

EDWARD A. LONG. — A worthy descendant of an honored pioneer family of
Orange County. Edward .\. Long, the successful truck farmer, residing southeast of
Stanton, was liorn at Santa .Ana on October 15, 1878, the son of Thomas Y. and
Melissa -A. fDeWitt) Long. In 1859 Thomas Y. Long crossed the plains from Texas
to California in an emigrant train of oxen and wagons. Without the fearless and
•courageous pioneers who endured the hardships and dangers and the discomforts of
pioneer life and modes of traveling, the great commonwealth of California would
still be a wilderness with barren plains. Those who have more recently come to
Cafifornia to enjoy the highly improved conditions existing today do not always
realize what a great debt of gratitude they owe to these early settlers, who laid the
foundations of a greater civilization and permanent prosperity.

Thomas Y. Long was born in Tennessee, and was eighteen years old when
-members of the Long family, consisting of his father and mother and his brothers
and sisters, as well as some of their friends, making up a train of some twenty-three
people, started on the long overland journey to California. The company invested



668 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

their money in cattle, buying them for five dollars per head, and accumulating about
3,000 head which they planned to drive across the plains and mountains into the
Golden State of which they had heard so much, and where they anticipated disposing:
of the entire band at a good profit. In crossing the Indian infested plains in Arizona
the company were many times attacked by the Apache Indians, who finally over-
powered them and succeeded in stampeding and capturing the entire herd of cattle,
leaving 'only the-wagcms and-oxen. A-fter a long, tiresome and hazardous journey of
five months the train reached California.

Arriving in this state the Long family located in San Bernardino County, where
Thomas Y. engaged in teaming to and from Anaheim Landing and onto the desert to
the mines and he also mined for a time. He was married in San Bernardino to Miss
Melissa A. De Witt, a native of Iowa but who had been brought across the plains
by her parents when she was a small child. She was reared and educated in San
Bernardino and they lived there for two years after their marriage and then Mr. Long
bought twenty acres of land south from Santa Ana. paying thirty-five dollars an
acre for it. That land is now, with improvements, easily worth thousands of dollars
per acre. He improved the ranch and lived there with his family until the fall
of 1888, then sold out and moved to the vicinity of Garden Grove and in that locality
members of the family have since lived and prospered. It was on their home place
there that both Mr. and Mrs. Long passed their last days. He died in 1905 at the
age of sixty-one, his widow surviving until April, 1919, when she passed away at the
age of sixty-nine. They became the parents of six children: Thomas is deceased;
Edward A. of this review; Lena became the wife of E. E. Miles; Jesse is a rancher
near Stanton; Ray is also living nearby; Nellie became the wife of Arthur Lindley
a rancher in this county.

Edward A. Long, the subject of this review, born at Santa Ana, was reared and
educated in Orange County. With the exception of fifteen years spent in the well-
drilling business, he has followed farming and now owns a twenty-acre ranch southeast
of Stanton, where he carries on truck farming.

In 1905 Mr. Long was united in marriage with Miss Winifred McKee. daughter
of Joseph and Mattie (Funk) McKee. Three children have been born to them, only
one of whom. Helen, is living. Mr. Long is held in high esteem in the community and
is rated as one of its substantial and progressive citizens.

FREDERICK H. TAYLOR.— The trite saying. "Tall oaks from little acorns
grow." in illustrating the magnitude that may be attained from very small beginnings,,
has an exemplification in the growth and importance that Taylor's factory, at Santa
.Ana. Cal., for preserving California fruits, has attained. Fred H. Taylor, president
of the company, was born at Freeport, 111., July 8, 1877, and is the son of Fred G.
and Elizabeth (Sharp) Taylor, who came to California from their Eastern home in
1886 and located at Santa Ana. The mother of the family, in common with other
.good housekeepers, looked after the interests of her family table by preserving fruit
for family use. Then, wishing her Eastern friends to taste of the toothsome dainties
that California produced, she sent some of it to old friends in the East. They were
so pleased that their appetites were whetted for more, and from a few pounds of pre-
serves prepared on the kitchen stove the birth of a new industry was heralded. Tons
of fruit are annually prepared and shipped to various places all over the United States.
The large plant occupies a commodious concrete building equipped with all necessary
mo'dern machinery to facilitate the preparation of the fruit for consumption. One
hundred and fifty people are employed in preparing it. and the pay roll amounts to
$50,000 per annum, while business amounting to over $300,000 annually is transacted.

Fred H. was a lad of seven years of age when he came with his parents to Cali-
fornia, and his education was acquired in the public schools and in the larger school
of experience. When the business began to expand, he with his brother J. E-, took
over the management of the business, the mother retaining her interest in the same.
In January, 1918. Fred H. took over the interest of his brother, and in March, 1918, he
incorporated the business as Taylor's, a close corporation, of which he is president
and manager; he has enlarged the plant, the new buildings all being constructed of
concrete and are fireproof. The large warehouse on East Fourth Street has sidings
from both the Southern Pacific and the Santa Fe railroads.

A very interesting feature of the business is the marketing of the product, for
all of the' goods are sold directly to the consumer, with a trade now reaching intc
nearly every state in the Union. After twenty-seven years the business has grown tc
such proportions that it is now the largest of its kind in the county, and the goods
are still prepared practically the same as when they started on the cook stove, only
on a larger scale. Mr. Taylor has personally made and invented appliances to facili



HISTORY oK ORANGE COL'XTY 671

tate the manufacture, which has increased from 100 cans to 20.000 cans, and each
can has the same care as when they started. The company built and own their twenty-
ton ice plant, as well as a commercial storage plant with a capacity of twelve cars.

Mr. Taylor's marriage occurred in Sacramento January 1, 1905, uniting his destiny
with Miss Rena Collins, a native of Iowa, whose father, the late W. H. Collins, one
of the early business men of Santa Ana, located here as early as 1887. Two children
have been born of this union: Phillip and Marguerite. Politically Mr, Taylor is a
strong. Republican, and fraternally is a member of the Elks.

Active in civic and business circles, Mr. Taylor is energetic and progressive,
giving his support to all measures that contribute to the general welfare, and taking
a deep interest in the growth and development of Orange County.

JOHN McMillan. — Prominent among the public officials in California of whom
the United States Government may well be proud is John McMillan, the experienced
and attentive postmaster at Newport. He was born at Campbelltown, Argyleshire.
Scotland, on February 5, 1862. and grew up in the land of Scott and Burns until he
was eighteen years of age. He learned the sailmaker's trade, and as a sailmaker
went to sea for ten years, making the journey from London to .Australia and return
several times. In January, 1881, he came to the Pacific Coast, and sailed north from
San Francisco to Eureka, and south to San Diego.

He visited Santa Ana, and after his marriage there, on December 13, 1884, to
Miss Annie Mills of that city, he traveled on the tow boats from San Pedro to and
from Catalina, meanwhile, until 1893, residing at San Pedro. In that year, he located
at Newport, which he had lirst visited in 1881. .He is therefore the oldest actual,
continuous resident of Newport, and well merits the position of responsibility in the
service of the municipality, being in charge of the water department. The water for
Newport is obtained from artesian wells about four miles northwest of the town, one
of the wells being 242 feet, and the other two each 264 feet deep, and is pumped into
a reservoir located on the Newport Heights, and thence by gravity it goes over to
Corona del Mar, Balboa and Newport. The system and supply are all that could
be desired, proving one of the important attractions to would-be settlers here.

On January 28. 1908. Mr. McMillan was appointed postmaster of the town, and
that dignified office he has held ever since. He has two deputy postmasters, or post-
mistresses — Mrs. A. E. Jasper of Newport Beach, and Mrs. Ida Durkee of the same
]ilace, who share his popularity with the discriminating folk of the community.

Five children have blessed the fortunate union of Mr. and Mrs. McMillan: Hugh
is the well-known real estate dealer at Newport Beach; Neil is employed near by;
John is a student at the Santa Ana high school; Sadie is the wife of W. A. Irwin,
the realty dealer of Newport Beach, and Agnes married Don Kelly, the rancher, of
Bnrbank. Mr. McMillan has an mterest in the Newport Syndicate. He is also inter-
ested, but in another manner, in the Knights of Pythias of Santa .Ana, being one of its
most popular members.

HENRY WEST. — .\ sturdy old pioneer whose devotion to home duties, to-
gether with an intensely patriotic interest in the world-events of recent, -exciting years
have undoubtedly contributed to keep him hale and hearty when nearly eighty years
of age, is Henry West, who was born on March 11, 1843, in the beautiful Wiltshire
country of England. His parents were Stephen and Eliza West, and his father was
a mechanic. The lad enjoyed a good common school education, and then learned the
carpenter's trade, at which he worked for ten years in London.

In the world's metropolis, too, on December 23, 1871, he was married to Miss
Sabina H. Austing, a native of London, where she was born on March 16, 1850. Her
parents were James and Sarah Austing, and her father was a Ijrass worker. She was
educated in a private school in London. On Maj' 1, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. West
migrated to America, and soon after the}- came west to the Pacific Coast, arriving in
San Francisco on May 13.

For a while Mr. West worked in a planing mill near the water front, but in
November, 1874, he came to Southern California, and traveling over San Gabriel.
El Monte and east as far as San Bernardino, returned to Los Angeles when he heard
of the land at Orange with the water, so he came down and bought twenty acres, and
then returned to San Francisco and made preparations to move. So. in June. 1875, he
brought his family here. Later he sold ten acres to his brother Arthur. He had three
acres of grapes, three of oranges, and three of olives; but the grapes having been
killed l)y blight, they were grubbed out, and so were the oranges, which had red scale.
He plowed up the entire ranch, in fact, and established the well-known Santiago
Jersey Farm. He had nine head of choice dairy, pedigreed cows, and he not only
made tlie choicest butter, but he sold young stock all over the state. On account of



672 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the tremendous amount of care, however, Mr. West began to sell off his stock in
January, 1902. Two years before that he had embarked in the orange industry, as
he found his place ideal for a nursery, and he therefore raised nursery stock between
the trees of his grove, supplying the vicinity with fine young orange trees. This
nursery he sold out in 1905.

In 1905 it was deemed necessary to make a change for the benefit of Mr. West's
health, and Mr. and Mrs. West removed to Los Angeles. He bought a home on Benton
Way, north of Temple Street, where he lived until February, 1917, by which time he
had regained his health. In 1917 Clarence H. West, the son, purchased the Benton
Way home, and Mrs. and Mrs. West came to Orange. They leased a home, where they
stayed for a year in 1918, and he bought a home on North Lemon Street, where they
at present reside.

Six children were granted this worthy couple. Amy W., the eldest, is married to
Henry Meier of McPherson; Walter L. married Pearl Stone, since deceased, and is
living on Prospect Avenue, Orange; he is the father of two children — Leo and Arietta;
Percy G. is the husband of Ethel Traynor; they live at Sacramento, and have one child,
Robert; Spencer A. is married to Bertha Hawthorne, and is the father of a daughter,
Carmelita; Clarence H. married Gertrude McCullah, and lives at the old home on
Benton Way, in Los .-Vngeles; A. Roy West is employed at the Merchants National
Bank of Los Angeles. Mr. and Mrs. West are members of the New Jerusalem
Church of Los Angeles; they are Republicans in national politics.

Two sons have enviable war records, both having volunteered for the United
States service. Both were with the One Hundred Forty-fourth Field Artillery, and both
were made corporals. .\. Roy West enlisted in August, 1917, and Clarence in Novem-
ber of the same year. Clarence served in the capacity of a clerk, and Roy was in
charge of a squad. They went with the Grizzlies to France, leaving Camp Kearny
on August 2. 1918, and sailed direct for Brest. From .\ugust, 1918, until January.
1919, they saw foreign service. Finally, at the Presidio, in San Francisco, they were
honorably discharged.

EDWARD ATHERTON. — Exceptionally interesting among the annals of pioneer
literature is the life story of Edward Atherton, the rancher and owner of the Fullerton
Ostrich Farm, who was born at Capetown, South Africa, on May 29, 1860, the son of
John .\therton, a native of Manchester, England, who became a pioneer at the Cape.
He was not only a merchant, but he owned 500 acres used for grain, stock and vine-
ya'rds; and on his farm he had two factories — one for scouring wool, the other for
distilling liquor. Edward's mother died when he was an infant; but in common with
the other five children, he enjoyed the best educational ad-vantages that the local
municipal schools afforded, and until he was twenty-six, he assisted his father on the
farm, and helped develop the natural resources of the place.

In 1886 Mr. Atherton came to the United States, being accompanied by a Mr.
Conning, with whom he associated himself to sell ostrich plumes. They came to Cali-
fornia, bringing with them a large stock of feathers Ijut did not find the ready sale they
expected and' soon abandoned their efforts. Mr. Conning remained in San Francisco
and later engaged in the banking Inisiness but Mr. Atherton decided to stay with the
ostrich business and in December, 1886, came to Anaheim and arranged to take charge
of the ostriches that had been shipped to California in 1881. which originally numbered
twenty-one birds, Init which had increased to forty-six. The first shipment was on
exhibition in San Francisco and was shipped to Anaheim in 1882, and was owned
by a corporation known as the California Ostrich Farming Company, of which R. J.
Northam was the manager. In 1887 the birds were moved to the ranch now owned by
Mr. Atherton and situated two and one-half miles northeast from Fullerton. In 1891
the company sold out to Northam and Atherton, and in 1899, after an auction had been
held to dispose of as many birds as possible. Mr. Atherton bought out Northam's
interest and became the owner of forty birds. In 1902 he bought sixty-eight acres of
land where he now lives, for ostrich farming and this he improved and eventually sold
off all but thirty-one acres. He now owns eight ostriches. The land has been set to
Valencia oranges and walnuts which are in fine bearing condition. He is a member of
the Placentia Mutual Orange Growers Association and a man of much public spirit.

In 1897, Mr. Atherton was married to Miss Carolina J. Sellinger. daughter of
John Sellinger, a pioneer vineyardist of Fullerton and Anaheim; and three children
have blessed their union. Malcolm is the eldest; then comes Miranda; while the young-
est is named Dalton. Mr. Atherton Ijelongs to the Independent Order of Foresters.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Atherton enjoy the friendship of a wide circle, and the fruits of
long years of earnest, straightforward endeavor.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 675

RICHARD SPENCER GREGORY.— A careful student of real estate in all its
phases, and of land and realty development. Richard Spencer Gregory, a native of the
tine old commonwealth of \irginia, has become well and favorably known in the insur-
ance and real estate fields of California, and has for some time been privileged \o
nifluence the trend of events making for a safer and sounder future, with more flourish-
ing conditions, for Orange County. He was born in Chesterfield County on March
30 of the eventful Centennial Year of 1876. the son of E. S. Gregory, a farmer and
merchant, who remained faithful to the Confederacy, fought with the Confederate
Army, and finally died with an honorable record of forty years as justice of the peace.
He married Miss Rosa H. Franklin, a charming Virginian, who is also dead. They
had ten children, eight of whom are still living.

Trained for the most part in the public schools of the locality, Richard Gregory
reached California at the age of seventeen, in 1893, and at the beginning located in
Placentia, Orange County, coming to Fullerton as early as 1896. For four years
he followed ranching, and then for another four years he engaged in the transfer
business. When he sold out, he began his present business of realtor. With Messrs.
Balcom. Fuller and Welton he purchased 100 acres just north of Chapman and east
of Spadra. and subdivided a part as the Central subdivision of Fullerton. afterwards
another addition, known as "Hill Crest." and the whole is now practically built up
with beautiful homes. TMie new high school, which occupies twenty acres of the
tract, is the pride of the people of northern Orange County. His residence on Hill
Crest is one of the most attractive homes in the city. Mr. Gregory also laid out the
following subdivisions to Fullerton: "Hermosa," "Jacaranda," "Ramona," "Orange
Grove," "Wilshire." "Gregory," "Glenwood Square," as well as subdividing several
ranches into smaller tracts. He has always engaged in citriculture. having improved
several orange groves, and still owns a splendid orchard in the culture of which he
takes much pleasure and pride. He has been very successful in all that he has under-
taken, despite, or perhaps because, he was "self-made."

At Fullerton, on August 2, 1899, Mr. Gregory married Miss Mabel B. Schultc.
a native daughter, born in Orangethorpe, and the daughter of Wm. and Mary
Schulte. pioneers of Orange County. She is now the mother of two children — Erma
and Merrill. The family are members of the Baptist Church of Fullerton, of which
Mr. Gregory is a trustee.

An Independent Democrat. Mr. Gregory was a member of the City Council for
six years, the last two of which he gave to the duties of mayor. During his service
as trustee and mayor was the era of the beginning of public improvements in Fuller-
ton. The streets were paved, the city sewer plant constructed, the city water plant
built, the fire apparatus bought and the fire department started. Not wishing to serve
longer, he was not a candidate for reelection, and retired from the board at the close
of his second term. During the late war he was a member of the Home Guards.

He is a director of the Home Mutual Building & Loan .\ssociation of Santa .^na,
and a director of the Farmers & Merchants National Bank of Fullerton. Public-
spirited and active in all the bond and war "drives," he is still a director of Orange
County Y. M. C. A. work. He belongs to the Fullerton Club and Newport Yacht
Club, and fraternally he was made a Mason in Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M.

FRED A. STOFFEL.— One of the most successful business men that ever
"struck" San Juan Capistrano is Fred A. Stoffel, who built up the Mission Inn Cafe and
is now erecting, at a cost of about $75,000, a new two-story hotel and store building.
His education, experience and industry have contributed to enable him to overcome keen
competition, while his genial, sympathetic personality, his disposition to please and
to accommodate, have made him so popular that everybody in San Juan Capistrano
is his friend, and thousands of the traveling public look back with satisfaction to hours
spent in his hostelry and restaurant. Indeed, from a patch of weeds and rubbish to
the picturesque, attractive San Juan Cafe, in the short space of five years, is the
transformation wrought by the energy of Mr. StofTel, who first came to San Juan
Capistrano in 1915.

Fred was born in Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, on January 1, 1885, the
son of John Stoffel, still living, who was a decorator of window glass, a fine art in
the industry of glass painting. He had married Miss Caroline Reuscher, who died
in 1919. They had six children, and Fred, who first saw the light on New Year's
Day, 1885, was the fourth in the order of birth.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 77 of 191)