Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 82 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 82 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ana and went to work, making pipe for irrigation; January, 1911, he embarked in the
business for himself at Garden Grove, was very successful in the six years that he was
engaged in the occupation, built up a fine business and acquired a reputation as an
irrigation contractor. He laid 80,000 feet of pipe in Orange and Los Angeles counties,
and received $20,000 for one contract alone. In 1914, with Mr. Rogers, he added the
feed business to his cement business, under the firm name of Jentges and Rogers. Later



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 717

he purchased Mr. Rogers' interest, then sold the feed Inisiness to Dungan and Dungan,
continuing the cement business one year. He then purchased back the feed businss
and continued both lines of business from 1917 until December 12. 1919. In 1919
Mr. Jentges purchased a house on Fourth Street at Garden Grove, where he lives with
his family. He also owns property upon which in 1920 he erected an up-to-date,
reinforced concrete building, 50.xl20 feet in dimensions, for a first-class garage. The
building is strictly modern, with machine shop, rest rooms, display rooms, etc. Polit-
ically he makes a study of questions relating to government and votes his honest
convictions, regardless of party affiliations. Fraternally he is a member of the I. O. O. F.
at Westminster, and the Canton at Santa Ana. Mrs. Jentges is a member of the
Rebekahs at Westminster. Thoroughly reliable and enthusiastically enterprising, Mr.
Jentges is now engaged in the trucking business. He is a live wire in the development
and upbuilding of Orange County, and his sterling qualities of mind and heart make
him a man well liked and respected by all who know him.

MRS. FANNIE S. GREENLEAF.— Among the highly-esteemed landowners of
Orange County who have shown the most commendable foresight and the most ad-
mirable public-spiritedness in the handling of their properties, must be mentioned Mrs.
Fannie S. Greenleaf of Santa Ana. She is a native daughter of the Golden State and
was born near Sacramento in 1855, the daughter of Robert and Lucilla (Sproule) Moore,
who crossed the great plains in 1853, and stopped for a short time at the mining town
of Gold Hill and later made settlement on the American River near Sacramento, ^\'hen
their daughter was four years of age the family removed to Sonoma, and there, while
they managed a small fruit orchard, she attended the Sonoma Academy. She lived in
Sonoma for eleven years and then went with her parents to Hollister, where she lived
with her sister, Mrs. Lucilla A. Snyder, while her father carried on a sheep ranch
eighteen miles from that town. After that the family moved onto a sheep ranch in the
Panoche Valley.

At Hollister, on June 19, 1877, Miss Moore was married to Dr. Edward F. Green-
leaf, a native of Mississippi, born in Yazoo County, on November 22, 1841, the son of
Dr. Eli F. and Mary C. (Mclntyre) Greenleaf, who removed to Clark County, Mo.,
when Edward F. was a lad. There he received his schooling and then took up the
study of medicine and was graduated from Lind University — now the Northwestern
University — of Illinois. After his graduation in 1864 the young physician began his
practice at Leland, LaSalle County, 111. In 1867 he came to California and his first
location was at Millerton, in Fresno County, after which he located in San Benito
County, where he taught school at the New Idria mines and at the same time practiced
his profession. The Greenleafs lived there until 1882, when they moved into Los
Angeles County and settled at Santa .'\na. which was the scene of the doctor's opera-
tions until his death on October 22, 1906. Here he improved a fine ranch and pros-
pered, having the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. The original home
site of thirty-five acres on what is now Greenleaf Street was purchased in 1881, but
the family lived in the town until their ranch could be improved for a home. In 1883
they moved onto the tract and have since resided there, in the house that was erected
by the doctor. Dr. Eli Greenleaf had settled here as early as 1871 and had acquired
some good land and part of this is still owned by the Greenleaf family.

Three children blessed the union of Dr. and Mrs. Greenleaf:' Wa'lter Frank, born
at the New Idria quicksilver mines, on March 12. 1878, graduated from the Santa Ana
high school and on December 25, 1907, married Miss Nellie C. Coke, a native daughter,
whose parents were old settlers. They were J. H. and .\lice E. Coke, the former still
a resident of Downey. Frank is manager of his mother's ranch and one of the rising
young men of Santa Ana. The second son was Elvin J. and he was born in Santa Ana
on October 7. 1882. was educated in the public schools of his native citv and in May.
1909, was united in marriage with Miss Mary Agnes Finn, a native of Ireland. They
had one son, Charles Frank, the only grandchild of Mrs. Fannie Greenleaf. Elvin J.
d'ed in 1915 and his widow makes her home with Mrs. Greenleaf on Greenleaf Street.
The third son and youngest child is Clifford A., and he was born on March 31, 1891,
educated in the Santa .\na schools and married Nola R. Kennedy and they reside in Los
Angeles, where he is employed as a traveling salesman.

Mrs. Fannie S. Greenleaf is an interesting conversationalist and is a firm believer
in the preservation of California history. She is of an artistic temperament and many
products of her brush are to be seen in her home. Of a quiet disposition, she enjoys
the companionship of her children and grandchild and has always done lier part to make
Orange County, and Santa .\na in particular, a better place in which to live. She
belongs to the Eastern Star Chapter in Santa .Xna and is beloved by a wide circle of
stanch friends.



718 HISTORY OF ORANGE COLWTY

MRS. ANNA DERKSEN.— A resident of Anaheim and vicinity since 1889, Mrs.
Anna Derksen is so well posted on various local conditions, of recent years and the
immediate present, that she is among the most sanguine in her hopefulness for the
future of all Southern California, and especially in the matter of the development of
oil interests in this section. She was born in Westphalia, Germany, the daughter of
Christian Schlueter, a native of that country and a shoemaker, who died there, as did
also her mother, whose maiden name was Maria Deiter. They had seven children, and
Anna was the fourth in the order of birth.

She grew up in Westphalia, and in 1868 was married there to Henry Derksen, a
native of tlie picturesque Black Forest village of Muehlingen, on the Rhine. He was a
coal miner, and in 1881 they migrated to America and Pope County, .^rk., where they
bought a farm of eighty acres and followed agricultural pursuits. Seven years later,
Mr. Derksen died there. It had been their dream to come to California: hence, the
following year Mrs. Derksen removed to the Golden State.

She settled in Anaheim, then a very small place, and rented a ranch; she bought
cows, and poultry, and made butter and also sold eggs. She raised what feed was
needed on the ranch, and little by little so progressed that she was able to rent, and
then to buy the forty-eight acres she at present manages, and which she has since
improved. When she first took hold of the land, there was not a tree upon the place;
and she herself has set out everything. Now she has a walnut orchard of ten acres,
and sixteen acres of Valencia oranges; the whole, irrigated by the Anaheim Union
Water Company, forming one of the most desirable places of its size for miles around.

Mrs. Derksen, who has a son, Henry, in the service of the Santa Fe Railroad
Company at San Bernardino, is a devout member of the Catholic Church at Anaheim,
end finds pleasure in participating in any good work, religious, social or political, likely
to benefit the community. She is a good student of California affairs, and is especially
well-posted on oil conditions; her knowledge and her optimism leading her fellow
ranchers to fortify their faith in the glorious future in store for .-Knaheim and the
environing country.

CLAUDE EDGAR AND GUY SMITH.— The sons of one of La Habra's
esteemed pioneer settlers, and one whose early development work meant much to this
vicinity, Claude Edgar and Guy Smith, sons of Stephen M. Smith, are following in the
footsteps of their father and continuing the splendid work which he began. A native
of Kentucky, Stephen M. Smith was born in the vicinity of Lexington on August 6,
1859, and was a son of Xhomas and Lottie (Cordell) Smith, who were also natives of
that state, the father a stock raiser in that famous Blue Grass region. When but
fifteen years of age he left the home of his boyhood days and started out to earn his
living in Texas. There he spent a number of j'ears, and was active in the cattle
business in different parts of the state when that industry was at its height there. Com-
ing to California in 1884, Mr. Smith engaged in general farming before locating at
Rivera, Los Angeles County. Here he at once entered into the active development of
the town, becoming its first general merchant and it was not long until his business
assumed large proportions. He remained at Rivera for eleven years and during all
that time he occupied the position of postmaster there, to the entire satisfaction of the
Government and the citizens whom he so faithfully served.

In 1897 Mr. Smith came to La Habra Valley and purchased a tract of 104'/' acres
at the corner of Central and La Mirada avenues. The prospect was far from being an
attractive one as the land was in its raw state and covered with wild mustard, but Mr.
Smith at once applied himself energetically to the task of its cultivation and was
unusually successful in carrying out his plans. Practically all of the acreage was set
out to walnuts, from nursery stock which he himself raised. In later years Mr. Smith
disposed of some of the acreage and the Pacific Electric and Salt Lake Railroads both
came through the ranch, each taking oflf considerable portions of it, so that it now
consists of sixty-five acres.

While located at Rivera, Stephen M. Smith was united in marriage with Miss
Emma Montgomery, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Montgomery of that place.
Three children were born to them — Claude Edgar, Guy and Matilda. Claude Edgar
Smith was born at Rivera, January 16, 1887, and there his early school days were
spent. Later, when the family had taken up their residence on the La Habra
ranch, he attended the high school at Fullerton, supplementing this with a course
at ^Vhittier College. .Acceptin.g a position on the sales force of the Studebaker
Automobile Company of Whittier, he remained with them for five years, during
which time he became sales manager for the Whittier district. He then was with
the Hudson .'\ntomobile Company at Whittier for the next four years, after which
he spent a year driving racing cars. Leaving this hazardous field, Mr. Smith took
up publicity work for the Studebaker people, his territory covering all of Southern








^



c^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 721

California south of Santa Barbara. On April 21, 1906, Mr. Smith was married
to A'liss Lillian M. Kellani, a native of Illinois, who came to Rivera with her par-
ents in 1889. They are the parents of a son, Stephen E., who attends school at
La Habra. Mr. Smith is prominent in the ranks of the Elks, having been made a
member of the Whittier lodge. Guy Smith was born at Rivera on March 14, 1890, and
so was but seven j'ears old when his parents moved to La Habra. Here he grew up,
attending the public school at La Habra, and later the high school at Fullerton. He
then became interested in the garage and auto repair business and had two shops, one
at La Halira and one at Whittier. On May 30, 1916, at Bellingham. Wash., he was
married to Miss Ellen Alice Smith, the daughter of Albert G. and Ellen Alice Smith.
She was a native of California, having been born near Los Angeles; her father, who is
a railroad engineer, removed to Bellingham, Wash., with his family in 1906. Mr. and
Mrs. Guy Smith are the Rarents of one child, Lorraine.

Owing to the ill-health of their father, the Smith brothers took over the manage-
ment of the ranch at La Habra in 1917, and have since given their entire time to its
operation. The entire acreage is set out to walnuts, five acres being budded trees. For
many years one of the finest properties in the La Habra district, it is continuing to
thrive under the expert care given it. One of the best pumping plants in the vicinity
is on the ranch, producing 100 inches of water. Fortunately the father is rapidly
recovering his health and hopes to be able to take an active part in the ranch manage-
ment soon. A valued pioneer, he stands high in the esteem of the whole community.

MRS. MARY STODART.— With the courage and fortitude so characteristic of
woman, when new and untried responsibilities devolve upon her, Mrs. Mary Stodart.
ot the Buena Park district in Orange County, has shown her business acumen in
directing the management of her ranch affairs for many years. She has had the
cooperation of her sons in making the ranch what it is today and is deserving of the
highest praise for her work of development.

Mrs. Stodart was born in Washington Territory, on January 5, 1863. while the
great Civil War was in progress. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. John Condra. and
were born in Tennessee but removed to Washington Territory and became pioneers
of that part of the Northwest. Mr. Condra was a farmer and met with fair success
in his operations. He was a well-educated man and was a writer of some note on
political questions, as well as civic matters. After the death of his wife in Wash-
ington, who left two children, Mary and a son John, Jr., the father sold out his
interests there and removed to California, coming via steamer to San Francisco and
thence on a prospecting trip down to the southern part of the state and finally
located in Los Angeles County in 1868, settling at Los Nietos, near where the city
of Whittier now is located. Here he improved a ranch and followed diversified
farming up to the time of his death, when he was sixty-three years old. His son
died at the age of twenty-one and is buried by the side of his father at Whittier.

Mary Stodart was educated in the public and private schools and for a time after
their removal here attended the school at Los Nietos. Her first husband was the
father of her first-born, a son, Frank W. Davison, who is an electrician by trade and
resides at San Diego. He married Alice Clark of Los Angeles and they have a son.
Delbert Davison. On October 1. 1891, she married Archibald Stodart, a native of
Scotland, born there in 1846. He came to California in 1887, and settled near the
Condra homestead. By this marriage four children have been born: Mrs. Grace
Davis, who lives near the ranch operated by her mother. She has two children. Viola
and Donald: John Archibald, born February 2, 189S, is superintending the affairs of
the ranch and with his two brothers operates two trucks and does heavy hauling
in any part of Orange County and vicinity; Charles Edward, comes next and then
George .Adam. All three sons live at home and are interested in the conduct of the
ranch of twenty acres located southwest of Buena Park. This property is an inherit-
ance from her father and she has owned it for more than thirty years and all the
improvements on it have been made by herself and her sons. The children are all
natives of Orange County and have contributed toward? the development of their
home county and are highly respected by all who have the pleasure of knowing them.
For three years the family conducted a dairy ranch in the Cypress district and when
that place was sold they moved back to the old homestead. Mr. Stodart died in 1913,
at the age of sixty-seven years. He had been an invalid for seven years before his
death and the management of the ranch devolved upon his wife, who showed her
ability in directing the affairs of the ranch and at the same time rearing her family
to lives of usefulness.

Mrs. Stodart has in her possession a family tree of the Stodart family which
traces the name back to 1565 in Scotland, bringing the names down to tlie present
generation, a valuable heirloom for her descendants. She is an interesting talker



712 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and recounts the condition of Los Angeles as she remembers it at the time of their
removal here, when her father camped on Aliso Street, at a time when it was covered
with wild oats and mustard. She is a pioneer of Orange County and has watched
with interest the development of the ranches, towns and cities, also to see the wonder-
ful increase in property valuations all over the Southland. She takes great pride in
Ihe success her sons are making in their operations and enjoys the esteem of a wide
circle of friends. She is public spirited and gives her aid to all measures for the
betterment of her county, particularly the district where she has made her home for
so many years.

RUDOLPH M. FRICK.— .\ very progressive rancher, much ahead of his time in
agricultural pursuits, is Rudolph M. Frick, who resides on the corner of Tustin and
Fairhaven avenues, in Orange, where he has lived for the past eighteen years. He was
born in Austria on April 8, 1863, and is the son of John and Katherine (Zimmerman)
Frick, who died in their native land. They had eight children, two of whom emigrated
to the United States, one being the subject of our interesting review, and the other is
Joseph Frick. a farmer now in Canada.

Rudolph was reared and educated in Austria, and when twenty years of age left
for the United States in 1883, and located at St. Paul, Minn., where he worked for four
years. He removed to Glasston, Pembina County, N. D., in 1887, and there for four-
teen years grew steadily prosperous. He engaged in general farming and stock raising
and came to hold 480 acres devoted to raising grain. In November. 1898, Mr. Frick.
impressed with the greater resources of California, came West, and early pitched his
tent in Orange County, and from the beginning of his life here he easily established
himself in the good graces of his neighbors and friends, assisted by his excellent wife.
Miss Armilde Raedel before her marriage, to whom he was joined in wedlock in
Glasston on February 17, 1892. She was born at Denbig. Addington County, Ontario,
the daughter of Gotthard and Caroline (Pacholke) Raedel, natives of Germany, who
came when young folks to Ontario. Canada, where they met and were married, and
where they followed agricultural pursuits until they removed to Manitoba; six years
later they removed to and were among the early settlers of Glasston, Pembina
County, N. D.. and as pioneer homesteaders improved a farm. Mrs. Frick was the
youngest of their four children, and received a good education in the schools of
North Dakota. Their marriage has resulted in the birth of thirteen children, twelve
of whom are living. Louise C. is the wife of Clarence Boone of Long Beach; Armilde
P. is Mrs. George Leichtfuss of Helendale; Martha A. is Mrs. Herman Upahl of
Tustin; Rudolph A., Reinhard F., Eda C, Walter R., Cora M., Alfred R., Dorothea
E., Hilda W. M. and Lorenz W. R.

Mr. Prick's home ranch consists of fifteen acres devoted to oranges, lemons and
walnuts. It was raw land when he purchased it, and he first set out apricots, which
he found did not yield satisfactory returns, so he set out Valencia oranges, and
added a comfortable residence and modern improvements, all of which have made
the property more valuable. In addition he owns seven acres across the road from
his home place, as well as twelve acres, two miles northwest of Orange and ten
acres at McPherson, making his holdings total forty-four acres, principally in \'alencia
oranges, thus yielding a splendid income.

The family are members of the Lutheran Church at Orange, and while in North
Dakota Mr. Frick was a trustee of the congregation, as well as the school district.
He is a member of the McPherson Heights Citrus Association, as well as the Foot
Hill Orange Growers Association. A most patriotic American. Mr. Frick and his
family take pride and pleasure in fulfilling every civic duty, and thus hastening the
healthy development of the nation, the state and the county of his adoption and choice.

C. C. VIOLETT, M. D.— Prominent among the first citizens of Garden Grove,
Dr. C. C. Violett, the physician and surgeon, enjoys the distinction of exerting a
powerful and beneficent influence in favor of everything making for the healthy develop-
ment and permanent growth of the young town. He was born in Gallatin County. Ky.,
on December 7, 1863, the son of Dr. C. F. and Susan (Dean) Violett, both born and
reared in the Blue Grass State. The elder Violett was a well-known physician and
extensive landowner, who had 300 acres of improved farm land devoted to hay, grain,
corn and stock. They had eleven children — five boys and six girls— and among them
C. C. Violett was the youngest son and next to the youngest child.

.\Ithough born amid the roar and din of the great conflict proceeding between
the North and the South, Dr. Violett has no recollection of the Civil War." He does
recall an incident, however, and one none too pleasant, of the Reconstruction period.
His parents owned a fine country home, to which fifty or more Federal soldiers came




^2^^-^J^ ^ cSX-j<^



HISTORY OF ORAXGE CnVXTY 727

and ordered his mother to prepare a dinner for thcni. This she could not do, as she
was destitute of groceries and other food, and they were compelled to retire unsatisfied:
but their overbearing demeanor left an impression of horror indelibly stamped on the
child's mind. He attended the public school in his home district, and the high school
at Williamstown, Ky., and soon chose medicine as his future field of endeavor. This
choice was undoubtedly due to the exceptional association of his family with the
development of that science in Kentucky, two of his brothers, J. W. and J. D. Violett,
also being- physicians. He commenced his studies with his father and continued with
his brothers, and J. D. Violett became in particular his preceptor, and "as also the
organizer of the first medical society in northern Kentucky.

After graduating from the medical department of the Univer.sity of Louisville,
with the class of '92, where he was offered an Interneship by D. I'. Vandell. the
professor of surgery, he hung out his shingle in his home town. Napoleon, where his
father and mother lived, old and feeble. In 1899 he went to Texas, and on April 26,
married there Mrs. Elizabeth Wharton, a widow, who had been a schoolmate with
him at the Williamstown high school. She was in maidenhood Miss Elizabeth Bailey,
a native of Sussex County, \'a., where she was born and reared. As schoolmates they
were very fond of each other, but the young man did not feel prepared financially to
assume the responsibilities of the married state, and the twain who were destined for
each other, parted for different paths. Miss Bailey married M. F. Wharton, a lirother
of the Baptist evangelist, H. Marvin Wharton of \^irginia, but her husband died in
1895 in Texas, to which state he had gone for his health. After his death, Mrs.
Wharton, who had enjoyed superior educational advantages, having taught four years
m her Alma Mater at Taylorville, Ky., and also near Louisville and in Virginia, had
returned to her vocation and was teaching in the high school at Uvalde. Mrs. Wharton
had one child by her first marriage, Malcolm F. Wharton, Jr., who has been brought
up in the Violett home. While attending the State .\gricultural College in Oregon,
young Wharton, showing the patriotic spirit of his ancestors, enlisted in the U. S.
Navy, and after two years and eight months he came out a first class pharmacist's
mate from the naval hospital in Washington. D. C. He belongs to the Sons of the
American Revolution, through his great-grandfather. Malcolm Wharton, who lost l)Oth
hands while carrying messages for General Washington. After his discharge. Malcolm
F. Wharton returned to Corvallis, Ore., to complete his collegiate course. One child
has blessed the union of Dr. and Mrs. Violett — a daughter, Ruth, who graduated from
the Santa Ana high school and is now attending Redlands L'niversitj', where she is
pursuing a course in music and is majoring in the piano.

Returning to Kentucky with his bride. Dr. Violett continued his practice at
Napoleon until February, 1901, when he removed to Kansas, and for a year and a half
practiced at Lindsl'org. The persistent call of California, however, at length drew



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 82 of 191)