Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 90 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 90 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


attaining of his eighteenth year.

Soon afterwards, he left America to study in Europe; and in Paris he gave his
attention to the voice and the piano, becoming proficient as a singer and a pianist, and
earning a reputation for his own compositions. He attended the royal conservatories




^^^^^^i.^.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COL'XTY 797

at Munich and Leipsic for three years, and in 1905 was graduated from the Royal
Conservatory. Then he toured Italy, and spent much time in Florence.

About that time, he began to study marine art, and to perfect himself, he traveled
up and down the Mediterranean, even to Athens, and spent eleven years in Europe
studying and painting. During this time, in order to familiarize himself with the local
color of the North Sea, he spent six months on fishing smacks out from Hamburg
serving as a common seaman, just as Dana and others have done, but taking along
his sketch-book in order to profit by moments of leisure; and liking the experience so
well, he put in four months on a steam trawler, as a friend of the captain, through
which association he had the best of opportunities to study from nature and sketch.
He visited Helgoland before the fortifications were erected and the great guns mounted,
and that was an experience in itself.

Upon returning to America, Mr. Cuprien concluded that California must ofifer
much to the artist, and in 1912 he came to Los Angeles, intending to settle at Catalina.
and since then he has spent weeks at a time roaming over and and sketching the
scenery of the island. In 1913, however, Mr. Cuprien began his association with La-
guna; and in 1914, he erected there his studio to which, on account of his adventures
in the North Sea of Europe, he has given the name of "The Viking." It is one mile
south of the Laguna Beach Hotel, and overlooks the peaceful, beautiful Pacific; and
i'.s his own original creation, it attracts the attention of passersby,

Mr. Cuprien's style of painting as seen in his marines is intensely individualistic,
and one may get some idea of his ideals by his definition of the true artist: "Wliat a
man paints is what is in his mind — the expression of the inner man put upon canvas
liy himself." Mr. Cuprien received the gold medal at the Berliner Ausstellung; first
prize at the Cotton Carnival, Galveston, Tex., 1913; silver medals at San Diego in
lioth 1915 and 1916; honorable mention at the State Fair at Phoenix, 1916; and a bronze
medal at the State Fair at Sacramento, in 1919. He is a Republican in matters of
national political import, and humanitarian and philanthropic in his attitude toward
society and the problems of the day.

Mr. Cuprien is a member of the .\merican Federation of Arts, the Leipsic Art
-Association, the Fort Worth Art Association, the California Art Club, and the Laguna
Beach Art Association, being a charter metnber there, and one of the board of trustees.

KARL JENS. — A noted American painter who has contributed his efficient in-
fluence for the advancement of art in California and for the building up of an artistic
• atmosphere at Laguna Beach, is Mr. Jens, better known as Karl Yens, who was born
in Altona, on the Elbe, in nothern Germany, not far from Hamburg, on January 11.
1868, and grew up in a beautiful environment of gardens and villas, and with all the
educational advantages that the Old World could offer. He pursued high school and
college studies there, and took up and followed art in Hamburg, Berlin and Munich,
and later in England and Scotland. When nineteen years of age, he studied at the
Museum of Arts and Crafts at Berlin, under Professors Koch and Ewald, the latter the
director of the institute, and these studies he continued at the Academic Julien in
Paris, where he was under the guidance of the renowned Benjamin Constant and E.
Paul Laurens. There he entered into sharp competition for honors, and was one of
tlie few declared to have made much progress and been successful in 1900.

When Mr. Yens first came to America he traveled through the country as an
artist, desirous of seeing the best there was and for six years made his headquarters
in Cambridge, Mass. He exhibited in Boston and in Philadelphia, then moved tem-
porarily to Washington, D. C, where he made a specialty of mural decoration; in
New York, he later executed some mural work in theaters and private residences.

Mr. Yens had married in Germany, before coming to America, Miss Helene Grote
of Cambridge, Mass., who was on her first trip to that country. Mrs. Yens died at
their home in Cambridge while her husband was in Germany on a visit to his mother
and left three children, Anna, Otto and Elizabeth, all of whom are in the East com-
pleting their educations. In 1909. in New York, Mr. Yens was married a second time,
taking for his wife Miss Katherine Petry, a trained nurse who had been reared and
educated there, and with him she enjoys a wide popularity.

In 1910, Mr. Yens removed from the East to California and settled at Pasadena,
and soon after he had established a studio at South Pasadena, he became, in 1911, a
professor in the University of Southern California, and for nearly three years had
charge of their College of Fine Arts. From 1916 to 1918 Mr. Yens was an art instruc-
tor at the Los Angeles Polytechnic school.

While in the East, Mr. Yens made a specialty of portraiture, and is an expert in
all mediums; bein.g an etcher he owns his own etching press. He is particularly fond
of out-door painting — landscapes and studies from nature. He called his workshop at



798 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

South Pasadena, just beyond the Mineral Park, the Arroyo \'erde Studio, and the name
and the design and furnishing of the studio well bespeaks the man. Fond of roaming
here and there, Mr. Yens has often limned the beauties of Southern California, depict-
ing every feature with rare fidelity, and giving to all his work spontaneity and vitality.

Mr. Yens' aim to do the big and important things has been richly rewarded, for
he has exhibited at all the leading exhibitions in Los Angeles and his paintings are a
source of delight to the local art world. His larger works are shown in the leading
exhibits in the East — The National Academy of Design and the Architectural League
Club in New York; the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia; the Archi-
tectural League in Washington, D. C, and other places, for he keeps up a live con-
nection with the East. He took the silver and bronze medals at both the State Fairs
in California in 1915-1916; was also awarded the Clarence A. Black prize for excellence
in landscape painting as a result of his participation in the exhibits at Exposition
Park, Los Angeles. He is a member of the California Art Club and of the Laguna
Beach Art Association, and was secretary of the Los Angeles Modern Art Society.

Despite his pleasant associations with other art communities, Mr. Yens removed
to Laguna Beach on November 19, 1919; and here he has been an especially distin-
guished citizen ever since. An enthusiastic American, with rare confidence in our insti-
tutions for the future, Mr. Yens has been able, as few others are privileged to do, to
contribute much to advance the appreciation for art among a folk heretofore too busy
with founding a great commonwealth always to give time and attention to the finer
attractions in life. When, therefore, Laguna Beach will come to its own in the matter
of high art, the influence of this progressive exponent will be sure to be recognized and
acknowledged.

CHARLES A. KNUTH.— A conservative, yet decidedly enterprising leader in
business afifairs, who has sought to lead a Christian life through the application of the
Golden Rule, is Charles A. Knuth, of the Villa Park section of Orange County. He
was born in Germany on January 11, 1873, and came to America with his mother. His
foster father is William Knuth. who adopted the lad and he was reared as his son.
The family moved to Milwaukee, and it was there Charles A. Knuth attended school
for eight years, during which time he worked at his trades, continuing until 1887, when
he decided the Pacific Coast country held better inducements.

On March 17, 1887, the "boom" year, William Knuth brought his family to Cali-
fornia, and at Villa Park, in Orange County, he bought ten acres of land, gradually
increasing his holdings, with the aid of his children, until he owned sixty-eight acres.
Charles helped set out the trees and otherwise improve their holdings and in time the.
father gave to each of his children ten acres, retaining five acres upon which he and
his good wife now live. While Charles was working on the ranch he found time to
attend the Orange Business College, where he took a general commercial course.
From 1908 to 1915 he traveled over part of the state representing, at various times,
some of the best-known commission houses of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Since its organization in 1913. excepting one year, Mr. Knuth has been foreman
of the field work for the Villa Park Orchards Association, which serves over 150
growers and handles the product of more than 2,000 acres. This position has brought
him in close touch with the citrus industry of the state and occupies his time so that
he hires the work done on his ten-acre ranch.

On Tune 7, 1905. Charles A. Knuth and Marie Steffens were united in marriage
and they have two daughters. Norma Marie and Marie Charlotte, both now attending
school. The family belongs to the Lutheran Church at Orange. Mr. Knuth is a
Republican, has served on the election boards and is a member of the Farm Center.
During the war he served as a committeeman on the loan drives. He is one of the
best-known and well-liked men of his section of country.

MARTIN V. ALLEN.— A well-read, reflecting, self-made man. whose hard work
and honest methods have made him a sharer in all the good things of life, is Martin
V. Allen, a native of Bloomington, McLean County, 111., where he was born on Novem-
ber 10, 1874. His father was Patrick Allen, a stonemason employed for most of his
life by the Santa Fe, who died in 1918, at the ripe age of seventy-four. He had married
Miss Margaret Allen, and she passed to her eternal reward when our subject was a
mere youth. A sister of Martin died when he was twenty-four, and he is now the only
survivor of his once happy family.

Having always had to work hard for a living. Martin Allen enjoyed but a few
years of schooling, and so came to acquire that wide knowledge of agriculture for
which he is locally famed, when he was a boy. The rudiments of the three R's. were
obtained at the Church Street school in Galesburg, 111., and so thorough was that ele-
mentary training that when he came west to California in 1897 and cast his lot in with




(Q/l/c




HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 801

others who were rapidly developing Orange County, he was better equipped tlian many
to wrestle with work-a-day problems. He started to grow barley, potatoes and corn
on a ranch in Santiago Canyon, and securing his first crop of "spuds" in 1897, when
prices were very low, he sold them to wholesale houses in Los Angeles and realized
all that the market would allow. For eight years he followed cement contracting in
Orange County and since 1908 he has been the able superintendent of the thirty-eight
acres belonging to the Adolphus Busch estate in the Villa Park precinct. At one time
he knew nearly every family in Orange County, but now so many settlers have come in
he scarcely knows his nearest neighbors.

On July 31, 1901, Mr. Allen was married to Miss Anita Martin, a native daughter
of Orange County, whose parents came to California from Texas in an ox-team train.
Mrs. Martin, the mother, is still living at Villa Park, aged eighty-four. Two children
have blessed their union: Ernest L. and Carl L., both attending school in Villa Park.

Mr. .'Mien belongs to the Odd Fellows of Orange and served one term as noble
grand. Both Mr. and Mrs. Allen are members of the Rebekahs. He is a Democrat
in national politics, but holds himself free to vote for whom he chooses. And in busi-
ness, desiring to see California go forward by leaps and bounds, and to stabilize all
her development, he is an independent shipper of produce and fruit. Mr. Allen was a
member of Company L, Seventh Regiment U. S. \'olunteers for service in the Spanish-
American War.

LEONARD O. VAUGHAN.— A resident of California since 1892, Leonard O.
Vaughan of Orange County has been an eyewitness to the many marvelous changes
that have taken place in Southern California since that time. He is the representative
of a X'irginian family and was born at Upper Alton, III., on June 21, 1856, a son of
Cornelius B. Vaughan, born in Culpepper, Va., but a pioneer of the state of Illinois
where he became a farmer at .-^Iton. He was a member of one of the brave bands of
pioneers who crossed the plains from the East to California with ox teams in 1849
to mine for gold and he met with the success of the ordinary miner. He remained
here for five years and then returned to Illinois to claim his bride. When he went l)ack
he took with him several gold nuggets as souvenirs and one of these is now in the
possession of Leonard O., who had it mounted as a scarf pin. The mother of Leonard
O., was in maidenhood Frances M. Smith, a native of Alton, and a daughter of George
Smith, who is honored as the founder of Alton, where he erected the first cabin and ran
a store and established the town site on Pisaw Creek. That was at a time when
Indians were very numerous in that state, but he was on friendly terms with most of
them. He taught school, read law and specialized in land law, and served in the
state legislature with Abraham Lincoln. Later Mr. Smith, and Dr. Benjamin Shurtleff
of Boston, Mass., endowed the Baptist College at Alton, so that it became known as
Shurtlef? College. Cornelius B. \'aughan died in Idaho in 1904, his widow surviving
him until 1918, when she died at Long Beach, Cal.

In 1858, w'hen Leonard O. was a child of two years the family removed to Car-
rollton. Mo., but at the outbreak of the Civil War, being' a strong Union man, Mr.
Vaughan returned to Alton with his family and from there enlisted for service in an
Illinois regiment and served from 1861 to 1864, when he was honorably discharged from
service. He w'as prominent in Grand Army circles after its organization and his G.
A. R. button is one of the prized keepsakes of his son, Leonard O. After the war was
over the family moved back to their farm near Carrollton, Mo., and it was here that
the son attended the graded schools, after which he returned to Alton, entered Shurt-
leff College and was graduated therefrom in 1876, then joined his folks in Missouri.

In 1878, at Marshall, Mo., Mr. Vaughan was united in marriage with Miss Lenora
Herndon, a native of Saline County, that state, and in time they were blessed with
seven children, two of whom, L. O. jr., and Cornelius B. are now deceased. Charles
H. is an automobile dealer in Los Angeles and has two sons; Gertrude is Mrs. C. E.
Wagner of West Orange and the mother of one son; Edna became Mrs. Ned Cutting
and resides in Los Angeles; Russell T., is an oil-well driller in Granger, Texas, and he
has a son and a daughter; Howard S. conducts an oil station at Sixth and Main, and one
at the Central Auto Park in Santa Ana. He is the father of a daughter. The wife
and mother died in Los Angeles on August 14, 1913.

In 1886 Mr. Vaughan moved to Greeley County, Kans., and there preempted land
which he farmed. A natural merchanic, in 1887 he was induced to enter the service of
the Santa Fe railroad at Coolidge, Kans., as a repairer of locomotives, coming to Los
Angeles in 1892 in the service of that company. In 1895 he was in the employ of the
Southern Pacific at Dunsmuir as an engineer, and in 1905 he came to Long Beach and
was employed as engineer at the power plant of the water department of that cit\'.
In 1914 lie came to Orange County and has since resided on his twenty-one acre ranch



802 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

devoted to walnuts, and it is one of the best groves in the locality, rapidly being recog-
nized as a show place. It was in 1914, in Los Angeles, that the second marriage of
Mr. Vaughan took place when he married Mrs. Martha Shaffer. She died in December,
1917. Mr. \'aughan also owns a half block in Santa Ana upon which is located the
Temple Theatre, a half block where the Central Auto Park is situated and numerous
parcels of land in this county and in Los Angeles, so that he gives a great deal of his
time to looking after his varied interests. He is a believer in the future of Southern
California, Orange County in particular; is a supporter of all movements that tend to
build up and promote the welfare of the people and is highly esteemed as a successful
business man. In politics he is a Republican in national affairs, locally he votes for
the best men and measures and he finds recreation as a member of the Elks lodge.

MRS. MARTHA M. SHAFFER VAUGHAN.— A pioneer of Orange County be-
loved by all who knew her was Martha M. Shatter \aughan, who for many years lived
on a ranch on North Main Street between Santa Ana and Orange. A native of Rock
Island County, 111., she was born and christened Martha M. Cowles and was reared
amidst the pioneer environments of that state when it was known as the "far west."
Her marriage to Uriah Shaffer was solemnized in Decatur County, Iowa, in 1877. Mr.
Shaffer was a \'irginian by birth who descended from German stock and he was reared
on a plantation in Hampshire County, \'a. His birth occurred there on June 16, 182U.
and he attended the subscription schools in his native locality until he was twelve,
when he accompanied his parents to Lee County, Iowa, and there he became a pioneer
farmer on the frontier, continuing farming in Lee County for himself from 18j8 until
he left that vocation to come to California in 1850 to mine for gold. He was among
that hardy band of Argonauts that crossed the great plains with o.xen and prairie
schooners and arrived in Nevada County, Cal., September 7, 1850. He was not suc-
cessful in his search for the shining metal and he took up land in Plumas County and
engaged in ranching. After experimenting for several years he returned to Iowa and
farmed in Decatur Countv, and while so occupied he became the husband of Martha
M. Cowles.

That same year, 1877, they came to California and to Santa Ana, on the first
railroad train that ran into that town. Mr. and Mrs. Shaffer became very prominent
factors in the civic and commercial life of Los Angeles County, as Orange County had
not been partitioned off at that period. When the new county was formed they con-
tinued to ranch and increase their interest in the new county and did their part to make
it one of the best known and richest sections of this great state. They improved a ranch
of twenty-five acres of walnuts, besides doing general farming on other land they
owned. Both were stanch Republicans. Mr. Shaffer died May 20, 1902, after which
Mrs. Shaffer erected a large twenty-six room house on her property, after her own
plans. She also operated her walnut ranch and the 300-acre ranch besides, where she
raised fine cattle and alfalfa, and had si.xty acres of it set to walnuts. She was a good
business woman and was highly esteemed by all who knew her for her integrit}' and
public spirit.

Mrs. Shaffer became the wife of L. O. Vaughan on January 1. 1914, who took from
her shoulders the cares of business and administered the property with fine success.
She passed away on December 27, 1917, mourned by all who had known her for her
unselfish spirit and great helpfulness as a pioneer woman of Orange County. She was
a strong believer in Spiritualism and contributed much money towards that belief.

MRS. LAVINIA AVERY MAYFIELD.— A generous-hearted, hospitable woman,
esteemed and liked by all who know her, and known as a conservative and cautious
operator in business, is Mrs. Lavinia A. Mayfield, who was born an Avery and christened
Lavinia, the place of her birth being Rusk County, Texas. On her father's side her
ancestors came to .\merica from Scotland and were among the early Southern families
to settle on the Atlantic Coast. Her grandmother, Rachel (McDonald) Avery, was born
on the Atlantic Ocean. On her maternal side her grandparents came from France.
Her mother. Sarah Dumas (Halton) Avery, married a second time, choosing as her
husband William Henry Talley, a lineal descendant of Patrick Henry. Mr. Talley was
a successful orchardist who proved a kind and helpful stepfather. Her father, Rhoderic
McDonald Avery, was a pioneer in Rusk County, Texas, and died when she was a mere
babe. Lavina received her education in the common schools of the locality in which
she was brought up and also studied at Kidd-Key College at Sherman, Texas, after
which she taught school for two years. In 1889 Mr. Talley. her stepfather, removed
to California with his famil}'. and at Covina he purchased forty acres, which he in time
set out to oranges.

On March 3, 1889, Miss .\very became the wife of Dr. M. S. Jones, the eye, ear, nose
and throat specialist of Santa -\na. Dr. Jones was born in Clinton County, 111., his




^<r^^A %jS^ %C^^.<^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COL'XTY 805

parents being natives of Virginia. He was educated at McKendree College, at Lebanon,
III., completing his medical education at St. Louis, there having the privilege of special
courses under the celebrated specialist, Dr. William Niehaus, in opthalmology and aural
surgery, and with Dr. D. B. St. John Roosa of New York. Receiving his diploma in
1869 he entered into practice with Dr. Niehaus, but after a year his health failed and
he went to Shreveport, La. Here he practiced for two years, and his health being
improved he returned to his old practice at St. Louis, remaining there until January 26,
1874, when he came to California. After practicing for a year in Los Angeles he
located in Santa Ana, where he soon had a large general practice. Becoming an en-
thusiast over the possibilities of citrus culture in this locality, he purchased a tract of
sixty acres on East Seventeenth Street and Tustin Avenue, forty acres of which was
devoted tooranges, and while he continued his medical practice Mrs. Jones looked after
their horticultural interests, thus pioneering in an industry that has reached such vast
proportions in Orange County. Dr. Jones was also very active in farming and was
very successful in his undertakings in that line. Always enjoying a large and lucrative
practice, he stood high in the professional circles of Orange County. He was a Demo-
crat and took an active part in county politics, always working for the upbuilding of
the neighborhood, on which account his death, which occurred at Santa Ana in 1908,
w'as generally deplored. Mrs. Jones had also lost her mother, who passed away at
Santa Ana the year before. Inasmuch as Mr. Talley had passed away in 1895, Mrs.
Talley had disposed of the ranch property at Covina and bought residence property
in Santa Ana instead. Mrs. Jones kept the orange ranch and home on East Seventeenth
Street for some time after Dr. Jones' death, later disposing of it. By a former marriage
Dr. Jones had two children whom Mrs. Jones reared and educated: Essie L., the wife
of J. W. Jones of Boston, and George R., a rancher in Arizona. A sister, Mrs. M. R.
Hall, who had removed from Colorado to Tustin, died on May 8, 1898, leaving five
children in Mrs. Jones' care. The children are: Lavinia and Jennie Hall, now deceased;
Bess is the wife of Sam Hill, a prominent merchant of Santa Ana; Avery Hall lives at
San Pedro, and Lulu Hall is the wife of Charles F. Johnson, a postal employe of Santa
Ana. Three years after Dr. Jones' death Mrs. Jones married Dr. W. S. Mayfield.

Mrs. Mayfield is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Santa Ana, in whose
various activities she takes a prominent part. She also participated in various kinds of
war work, and in whatever way she can, she endeavors to live up to and practice the
Golden Rule. She is an enthusiastic supporter of every worthy project for the develop-
ment of Southern California and is particularly loyal to Orange County.

CHARLES E. BOWMAN. — A practical and scientific rancher, who draws upon
his own valuable experience, and who has the confidence of his associates, because of
his conservatively progressive methods, is Charles E. Bowman, who good-naturedly
boasts that he has been a booster for Tustin and Orange County since he was ten years
of age. He was born near Savannah, Andrew County, Mo., on April 28, 187L a son of



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 90 of 191)