Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 91 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 91 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


W. D. and Ella (Galloway) Bowman, also natives of that great commonwealth. They
had six children and among them Charles was the second in the order of birth. In 1881
Mr. and Mrs. Bowman came west to California and settled at Tustin, where Mr. Bow-
man became a fruit grower.

Charles E. Bowman attended the common schools at Tustin and later took a
course at the Orange County Business College, being a member of the class of '88.
As a young man he became identified with fruit packing at Tustin; the season lasting
there only four months, the balance of the year he was in the employ of A. E. Bennett
of Tustin, engaged in fumigating, and during this time became interested and made
an exhausting study of citrus enemies and the best methods of getting rid of the pests,
for when he was not packing he carried on experiments in this line. In time he was
made foreman, first of the Fay Fruit Company at Whit"tier for two years and then for
Gowen and Willard of Santa Ana, which position he held for four and a half years.
Early in 1907 Mr. Bowman became a partner in a company styled Bowman and
Ritchey, whose business was fumigating; later the firm was changed to Bowman and
Wiley and in this partnership he continued until they owned eight different outfits,
employing as many as fifty-five men. In the spring of 1916 Mr. Bowman became sole
owner of the fumigating company and continued the business until 1918, when he sold
it to engage in ranching. Since then, three consecutive times, he has bought, improved
and sold properties in Tustin, and he has also become interested in oil production in
Orange County to the extent of dcsiral)le holdings in the Richfield district. In October,
1919, he purchased a walnut and Valencia orange grove of ten acres on Laguna Boule-
vard in Tustin and became a member of the Tustin Hills Orange Growers .\ssociation,
and also a member of the Santa .-Xna \'alley Irrigation Company.



806 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

On April 30, 1902, Mr. Bowman was married to Miss Anna L. Schillinger, a native
of Easton, Pa., and the daughter of William Schillinger of that city. Both her paternal
and maternal grandparents were pion'eers of that same place, and she thus comes from
a well-established family, whose folks have always been heavily interested in manu-
facturing and similar enterprises on the Delaware. A son and daughter blessed this
union: Charles Clarence, who attends the Santa Ana high school and Frances Schuler
is a pupil of the Tustin grammar school. The family attend the Presbyterian Church
in Tustin. and Mrs. Bowman is a member of the Parent-Teachers Association at Tustin.

A Republican in national politics, Mr. Bowman is a loyal American citizen,
especially and naturally proud of his record as a veteran of the Spanish-American war,
in which he served as a member of Company L, Seventh Regiment, California Infantry,
under Capt. S. H. Finley. He is also a member of the Tustin Lodge of Knights of
Pythias, Whittier Lodge of Odd Fellows and Santa Ana Lodge No. 784, B. P. O. E.,
and a member of the Spanish-American war veterans.

H. J. KOGLER. — A highly-respected citizen of Orange County who owes his
phenomenal success in part to his advocacy and practice of cooperative or team work,
in part to his own Christian character and the application of Christian principles to
everyday transactions, and quite as much, no doubt, to the intelligent, unselfish and
faithful help rendered him by his capable wife, is H. J. Kogler, who was born, with
his twin-brother, William J. Kogler, at Orange, on August 24, 1884, the son of Jacob
and Dora (Shulz) Kogler, the well-known pioneers. He attended the public grammar
and also the parochial school of the town, there being at that time no high school
for the district; and later he was graduated from the Orange County Business College,
where he was given an excellent practical training of just the kind that he soon needed.

At the age of eighteen, Mr. Kogler entered the employ of the Pixley Hardware
Company of Orange, and from that time until 1906, he spent most of his time as a
hardware clerk. In the latter year, with his older brother Paul, and his twin-brother,
William J., Mr. Kogler formed a copartnership, buying out the Pixley interest in the
hardware department of the Pixley Hardware and Furniture Company; and in 1914, the
Kogler Company erected a modern store building on the property bought, and are
at the present time carrying on the largest hardware business, with the most complete
line, of any house in the county. Indeed, their business has grown to such proportions
that they require two large floors and the entire basement, for among other commodi-
ties of real service, they handle bee-keeper's supplies, a kind of wares first provided
for in a department installed about five years ago. Such has been the response of the
agricultural public to this effort to meet the wants of a growing and prosperous class,
that the Koglers now have the only complete stock of bee-keeper's supplies in Southern
California outside of Los Angeles or San Diego.

At Orange, Mr. Kogler was married to Miss Eva Geiger, born at Kankakee, 111.;
daughter of Peter Geiger, whose good wife died while Eva was an infant. She was
reared in and attended school at Orange, and naturally supported, with her husband,
all the Red Cross and other war work. She has a brother Edwin who for two years
served as a mechanic at Rockwell Field, and now has hi-s honorable discharge. Five
children have been granted Mr. and Mrs. Kogler, and all promise to be as popular
as their parents. The oldest two, Inez and Elmer, attend school in Orange; and the
j'ounger ones are Ildha, Evelyn and Carolyn.

GALE S. BERGEY. — A wide-awake business man who has had much to with the
development of commercial affairs at Huntington Beach, is Gale S. Bergey, one of the
enterprising firm of T. B. Talbert and Company, dealers in real estate and authorized
agents for the Ford Automobile Company, covering the territory in particular of Hunt-
ington Beach. He was born at Los Angeles on June 26, 1888, and was educated in the
public schools of Long Beach and at the Fountain Valley school. He followed farming
in the Talbert district, in Orange County, and so naturally came to work for and be
associated with T. B. Talbert. After he had tried farming for himself for a couple ot
years, he went into partnership with Henry Talbert in the San Luis Rey district, in
San Diego County engaging in farming two years.

In 1913, he entered the employ of the T. B. Talbert Real Estate Company, and
later he was made a member of the firm. He gives most of his time to exploiting the
Ford motor interests, and there are few men in all Orange County who know the
local automobile trade better than does Mr. Bergey. He also knows the Ford auto-
mobile, and that is saying a good deal, despite the popular impression that the machine
is so simple one need not trouble to get acquainted with it. In 1917, Mr. Bergey was
appointed constable of Huntington Beach, in the fall of 1918 was elected to the office
for a four-year term, and it is safe to say that no one has ever given greater satisfaction
in that difficult office. He is efficient, alert, afifable and blessed with human sympathy



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 809

and common sense, two qualities of inestimable service in the administration of any
such public office.

When Mr. Bergey was married, he took for his wife .\dele H. Crockett of Los
Angeles, but a native of Iowa, and their fortunate union has been blessed with two
children, Frances .\dele and Gale Le Roy. Huntington Beach may well congratulate
itself on numbering among its expanding firms this one represented by Mr. Bergey, and
on being able, at the same time, to get such an honest and satisfactory public officer.

SAMUEL HUFF. — The experiences of the early settlers in any new country are
not appreciated by the younger generation for they know nothing of the dangers en-
countered nor the hardships endured by those who have blazed the way for our present
day civilization. When Samuel Hufif, now a prosperous and highly respected citizen of
the Anaheim district of Orange County came to California in the closing year of the
great boom, 1887, he first located in San Diego, where he remained for three years
getting on his feet in order to branch out in agricultural pursuits and establish himself
permanently. This he accomplished in 1901, when he purchased his present ranch of
twenty acres, to which he added as he prospered until he now owns thirty-three acres
of as fine ranch land as there is to be found in the county. This land was a barley
field and was bare of improvements, but by unceasing hard work and good manage-
ment he has seen the dawn of a better day and has prospered beyond his expectations,
considering the difficulties he overcame in putting his land in condition to yield satis-
factory returns. He now has ten acres of walnuts and eight acres of citrus fruits; all
his trees he set out himself and they are now producing increasingly large crops
year by year.

Samuel Huflf was born in Kosciusko County, Ind., March 5, 1849, the year of the
great rush to the gold fields of California. His father was Frederick Hufif, a California
gold seeker in the famed year of '49, when he left his home and family and crossed the
Isthmus to seek the golden lure. He was more successful than the ordinary miner
and after he had "made his pile" he returned to wife and babes in Indiana. He married
Eva Angel, by whom he had eight children. By two subsequent marriages he became
the parent of nine more. Of the first family, two are still living and residents of Cali-
fornia, Samuel of this review and his brother, Eli Huff, of the Sacramento Valley.

Samuel received a common school education and was inured to hard work from an
early age. When he left home he migrated to Kansas and there he owned a farm of
170 acres, which he devoted to stock raising and general farming. At the outbreak
of the Civil War he tried to enlist in the service of his country but was denied the
privilege on account of his youth. He bided his time, however, and later found a
friend in an officer who was able to vouch for his age and he became a member of the
Si.xteenth Kansas Cavalry and for the ensuing eighteen months he was on duty and
participated in many skirmishes and was on scouting duty until his honorable dis-
charge at the close of the war. Samuel Huff comes from fighting stock, for his great-
grandfather served in the War of the Revolution, thereby entitling our subject to mem-
bership in the Sons of the Revolution; his grandfather saw service in the War of
1812; his uncle, Peter Huff, was in the Mexican War; and himself and brother, Eli, were
in the Civil War. Nor does this patriotic spirit stop here, for the son of Samuel
Huff, Lewis Huff, served six months in the Spanish-.\merican War, and the youngest
son, Ralph E. Huff served for twenty months in the late World War, when he was
through the campaign in France with the Ninety-first Division of the Three Hundred
Sixty-fourth Infantry. This direct line of fighting stock is a rare occurrence in the
families of today and one in which any family may take a just pride.

In 1868 Samuel Huff was united in marriage with Miss Olive D. Smith, a native
of Illinois, and six children resulted from this union: Lewis N., now of Long Beach;
Ivy D., is deceased; William F., is also a resident of Long Beach; Effie G., is the widow
of William S. Lang and lives in Reedley, Cal.; D. Eyman, is a well-known authority
on citrus culture and is a resident of Orange County, as is Ralph E., who is living
at home and assisting his father with the cares of the ranch. Mr. and Mrs. Huff have
given their children the best advantages within their reach and they are proud of the
success that all have attained, due in large measure to their home training.

Mr. Huff is a member of Buena Park Lodge of Masons; a member of FuUerton
Post, G. A. R.. of which he has served as commander; and he is a member of the
Garden Grove Walnut .Association. His ability and integrity are recognized by his
friends and neighbors and he is beloved for his true worth to his family and the county.
He has always been found ready to aid by giving advice and in a more substantial
manner, those less fortunate than himself, and there are many who owe their success
in life to his wise counsel and patient assistance. In all his trials and joys his good
wife has ever been his companion and shares with him the esteem of all who have thf
pleasure of knowing them.



810 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

CHARLES A. BEMIS.— A wide-awake, helpful citizen of Yorba Linda who had
a valuable experience in responsible public office in Iowa before coming to California,
is Charles A. Bemis, the rancher of Ohio Street in Yorba Lane. He is a member of
the Friends Church, and has been a Republican all his life, and was a hundred per
cent supporter of the Red Cross and war loan drives during the recent World War.
Born in Vermont on January 20, 1854, the son of Benjamin S. Bemis, Charles grew
up on his father's farm, the eldest in a family of three children. His mother was Miss
Mary Whitney before her marriage, a descendant of New Englanders who settled in
America as early as 1635. He attended the public school of the district and a private
academy, and when he was twenty-one years of age, he began to teach school and so
instruct others.

On June 15, 1881, Mr. Bemis was married to Miss Ellen L. Perrin, a daughter of
Louis L. Perrin, a native of Mansfield, Mass., and an expert machinist. He was justice
of the peace and a member of the city council while he lived in Lowell, Mass., and
in 1853 came out to California, remaining two years. Miss Perrin was born at Lowell
on March 27, 1862, and in that city she attended public and high schools. She has a
twin brother, George B. Perrin, who is living in Howard, Kans. Her maternal grand-
parents were born on Cape Cod, Mass., and England, respectively.

Mr. Bemis took up machine shop work, and stuck at it for ten years. He lived
in Rhode Island for ten years; and in 1892, he moved west to Hawkeye, Fayette County,
Iowa. He clerked in a store, and later farmed there, raising grain and stock. In 1906,
he sold out and came to California. At first, he started ranching for himself; but
later on, he became foreman of the Murphy ranch of 400 acres, having charge especially
of the orchardist department, and was with them for five and a half years.

In 1911 Mr. Bemis with his son-in-law, O. W. Holland, purchased twenty acres,
barley fields and open country in Yorba Linda, which has been developed into a citrus
orchard. Mr. Bemis' land is now leased for oil. He is a member of the Yorba Linda
Citrus Association, and also of the Water Company. Three children blessed the mar-
riage of Mr. and Mrs. Bemis, two of whom are living. Mary E. is Mrs. George E.
Le Fever, and lives at La Habra; and Clara L. is Mrs. O. W. Holland of Santa Monica.
Mr. Bemis is a member of the Odd Fellows and with his wife is a member of the
American Yeomen.

FRED W. SCHMIDT. — A well-posted, enterprising business man who has done
much to advance agriculture in Southern California along scientific lines is Fred W.
Schmidt, the wide-awake and accommodating distributor for Orange County of the
Reo and Dort automobiles and the Fageol walking tractor. He is a native of Austria,
where he was born near Vienna on July 8, 1890, and with his parents, Moritz and
Marie Schmidt, he came to the United States when he was eleven years of age, locating
for a while in North Adams, Mass. He attended the Berkshire schools, and later
entered the employ of the Hallet and Davis Piano Company of Boston, learning in
their factory all the branches of piano-making. From Boston, he removed to New York
City, and there he was one of the reliable men of the Aeolian Piano Company. After
mastering all the branches of the piano business, Mr. Schmidt came a step or two West,
to Youngstown, Ohio, and was for two years in the employ of a retail piano house.

In January, 1914, Mr. Schmidt reached California and Anaheim and formed a part-
nership with C. T. Webber for the handling of all kinds of musical instruments; and,
later he bought out his partner and formed the Schmidt Music Company, which is so
well known to the residents of North Orange County. He carried on this business
alone until March, 1919, when he sold out and entered the automobile and tractor field.
He has been so successful with the celebrated Reo and Dort automobiles and the Fageol
tractors that he has recently erected a new garage at 234 South Los Angeles Street to
accommodate his rapidly growing business. He belongs to the Board of Trade, and
never misses an opportunity to advance all other commercial interests, for the welfare
of the community generally.

The Fageol walking tractor utilizes a distinct and radically different, yet practical
and efficient method of traction. Its grousers, or "legs," mate with the ground — acting
as a gear or cog — and give positive traction in every soil, and that, too. without surplus
weight, loss of power through slippage, and without packing the soil. These are
strong features of economy, and mean both less consumption of fuel and oil, and less
wear and tear on the tractor. The action of the tractor wheels — walking in and out of
the ground — allows the grousers to go just deep enough to reach ground solid enough
for positive traction. The Fageol tractor weighs less than three horses, is only half
as high as one, and does the work of six or eight. It has a short turning radius of
seven feet, made possible by the use of a separate clutch for each traction wheel — and
no differential. It is adaptable to a variety of work, being especially suited to the



• HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 813

orchard, where it walks in and out among the low-hanging trees, and it is also suited
to grain cultivation. Farmers, therefore, are using this light, economical-running trac-
tor for practically any work done with horses, Mr. Schmidt handles Reo motor cars
and speed wagons and Dort motor cars and has complete garage and service equip-
ment for the care of autos and tractors. In January, 1920, he associated G. P. Siemann
with him in business and formed a copartnership as the Anaheim Motor Company, so
now the two are giving all their time to the business.

When Mr. Schmidt married, he chose for his wife a most accomplished woman,
Miss Beatrice Reeks of Los Angeles, and now they have one daughter, Marjorie L.
Schmidt. He owned a five-acre orange grove of six-year-old trees, two miles west of
Anaheim on West Broadway, and there he erected a new home. This he recently sold
and purchased a ten-acre \'alencia orange grove seven years old, on Placentia Avenue
and there he makes his home. He is musically inclined, and an accomplished performer
on the violin, and while in the music trade often played the violin for church concert
work, and he also established the Schmidt orchestra. He belongs to Anaheim Lodge
No. 1345, Elks, and was made a Mason in ,\naheim Lodge, F. & A. M., and with his
wife is a member of Chispa Chapter, O. E. S., and both enjoy an enviable popularity.

HIRAM HELM HATHAWAY. — The prominent rancher and successful lima bean
grower at Wintersburg, Hiram Helm Hathaway, comes of good old Southern lineage.
He was born at El Monte, Cal., January 26, 1863, and has resided in Los Angeles, San
Bernardino and Orange counties all his life. His father, Jefferson M. Hathaway, a
native of Missouri, came to California from the northeastern part of Texas in 1853,
working his way by driving an ox team. When he arrived at his destination he had
only his blankets and one dollar and seventy-five cents in his pocket. In January,
1860, he was married at San Bernardino to Miss Martha Marzee Russell, a native of
Texas. They were farmers and became the parents of nine children, six boys and three
girls. The father, who was popularly called "Uncle Miner" Hathaway, held the office
of justice of the peace in San Bernardino County several years, being reelected several
times. He and his wife were members of the Baptist Church.

Hiram Helm, the second child in order of birth in the parental family, recalls the
time when the townsite of Santa Ana was first platted and the wiseacres predicted it
would never make a town. He was reared on the farm, educated in the common
grammar schools, and has followed the occupation of farming all his life. -His marriage
occurred at Azusa, Cal.. on December 17, 1885, and united him with Miss Ann Eliza-
beth Meredith, a native of Gainesville, Sumter County, Ala., daughter of R. A. Meredith,
a lawyer of Gainesville, and Ann Elizabeth (Harwood) Meredith, both natives of
Virginia who were married in Alabama. There were ten children in Mrs. Hathaway's
parental family, five boys and five girls. Three of her brothers served in the Civil
War. The oldest, Reuben A., was in the Confederate army, and came to California
after the war, in 1868. He died at Covina on September 27, 1920. Another brother,
Samuel H., a sister, Mary K., and Mrs. Hathaway came from Alabama to California
in 1884 to join their brother Reuben A. Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway lived two years at
Azusa, removing thence to Poinona, where they lived eighteen years. In 1906 they
came to Wintersburg and built a home which they moved into January 1, 1907. Mr.
Hathaway had purchased ten acres of land in October, 1906, which he improved and
sold, afterward purchasing another twenty acres at $500 per acre, which he still owns
and farms.

In their religious convictions Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway are members of the Baptist
Church at Huntington Beach. Politically Mr. Hathaway is a Democrat. He is an
ardent admirer of President Wilson and favors the League of Nations. He is a capable
business man and a hard and efficient worker, and their two-acre home place in Win-
tersburg is set to fruit trees, grapes, vegetable garden, etc. He and his good wife are
genial and hospitable, and highly respected among their friends and neighbors.

L. P. DAMEWOOD. — .A.n enterprising business man of Orange whose "hustling"
qualities alone would place him in the front rank of progressives, and whose strong
and pleasing personality makes him popular among a large circle of friends, is L. P.
Damewood, of the well-known firm of Damewood and Garroway, dealers in tires and
automobile supplies, and agents for the Mack truck. They are among the leading
dealers in both Goodyear and Goodrich tires, and in their various enterprises have done
much to forward the best interests of the motorists. Born at Kingman, Kans., Mr.
Damewood is the son of Powell Damewood, who moved from Iowa to McPherson,
Kans., in 1865, and there homesteaded 160 acres of land, coming in time to Kingman.
There he lived and worked as a farmer, and there he died. He had married Miss
Millie A. Brownell. and she still resides in Kansas. Their union was blessed with the
birth of one child, the subject of our interesting sketch.



814 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Brought up at Kingman until he was nine years of age. Mr. Damewood then
removed to Aspen, Colo., where he attended the public school, continuing his school
work at Canon City, in which town he graduated from the high school. When old
enough to get into business, he opened shop in Denver, and as the representative of
the Goodyear Rubber Company, sold tires on Sixteenth Street. After that he removed
to Fort Collins, Colo., and for a year was a tire agent at that place. In 1914 Mr. Dame-
wood came west to California and locating at Orange, entered the employ of Mr. Lush,
who had a garage and tire business. Soon afterwards, he bought of Mr. Lush an
interest in the business, and a year later bought out Mr. Lush altogether. When he
had managed the affair for a while alone, he took into partnership E. M. Chapman, and
the firm became Damewood and Chapman; and they soon started a branch at FuUerton,
and since then opened another branch at Santa Ana. Last year A. J. Garroway bought
out Mr. Chapman's share, and of late the firm has been styled Damewood and Garroway.

The headquarters of this enterprising firm are at the corner of North Glassell
and Maple streets. Orange, but in each establishment they carry a large supply of
tires and trucks. They have also installed a hydraulic press for mounting truck tires,
and in that particular enterprise were the pioneers in the county. Expensive as this
outfit has been, they have installed one at each of the branch stores, and are thus able
quickly and conveniently to put on tires for all kinds of trucks, the nearest other station



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 91 of 191)