Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 92 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 92 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for the same service being at Los Angeles. The Mack truck, which they represent,
may be had through them, in varying sizes from one to fifteen tons. Mr. Damewood
organized the Orange Merchants and Manufacturers Association, of which he is now
president, and he is the Orange representative of the Associated Chambers of Com-
merce of the county. He was also one of the originators of the Orange County Auto-
mobile Trades Association, and is today its vice-president.

At Canon City, Colo., Mr. Damewood was married to Mis Bertha R. Smith, a
native of that state; and by her he has had one daughter. Edith A. Damewood. He
belongs to the Woodmen of the World, and finds pleasure, with his good wife, in
responding to worthy appeals of all fraternal and other organizations seeking to better
the community and the county in which he lives and prospers.

WILLIAM H. HOLLOWAY.— Prominent among the thoroughly trained scien-
tists in the field of California horticulture who have made the most important con-
tributions to the development of that new and delicious fruit, the more than popular
avocado, should be mentioned William H. HoUoway, whose fame has extended far
beyond the vicinity of his handsome ranch at Yorba Linda. He was born near Severy,
Greenwood County, Kans., on May 31, 1873, and when nine years of age came to the
Northwest with his parents and settled in Washington. In 1891, he moved on further
and came south to California and Whittier, where he attended the public schools and
finished his studies at the Whittier Academy. These institutions have deserved their
reputation as the best places in which to train inquiring youth; and when his school
days were over our subject was ready to fill more than one position of responsibility.

His first venture was to buy a fourth interest in the Whittier Hardware Company,
and while he was active in that line, he learned the plumber's trade. In two years he
disposed of his hardware interest and started a business of his own, known as the
Whittier \'ariety Store. In 1907, however, he located in Long Beach, and there em-
barked in plumbing for himself. He made a specialty of installations of a superior
quality in fine houses and first-class apartments, and within six years handled over
$60,000 worth of business. In 1913, when Yorba Linda was just starting, he located
here, bought a lot and erected a store building, two stories high. It had apartments on ,
the second floor, and was an ornament and a convenience to the place. He conducted
a general merchandise business, and disposed of that only three years ago. He had
just completed another apartment house having four apartments, and on the adjoining
lot, he had also erected a modern bungalow .

On coming to Yorba Linda, Mr. Holloway had purchased a ten-acre tract on which
he planted lemons and avocados. He grew three varieties of the latter — Ganter, Har-
mon and Dickenson — and these are now in full bearing. The Ganter is green in color,
has a thin skin, and weighs from eight to twelve ounces each, and is altogether the
best bearer. It seems to give the most satisfaction to many and has become very
popular; and it is also cheaper than the thick-skin variety, selling from fifteen to
twenty-five cents each in the market. The Harmon also has a thin skin, while that of
the Dickenson is thicker and sells for seven dollars a dozen. The Ganters are especially
nice in salads, and they have been introduced more widely through the work of demon-
strators in grocery stores, who show patrons the different ways of preparing them, and
convince even the skeptical of the advantages in their regular use as food. One-half
of Mr. Holloway's crop goes to San Francisco, one-fourth is sold locally, and the



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 817

remainder is handled by the E. A. White Fruit Company, of Santa Ana, who send the
avocados to various cities in the county, and ship some to Arizona and even as far east
as Kansas City. Mr. Holloway has his own packing house on his ranch where the
selected avocados are packed in excelsior for shipment and each box labeled with his
purple and gold brand on a tri-colored lithograph with photo of two avocados. In
1920 he purchased eight acres in La Habra Heights tract at La Habra which he is
arranging to set to avocados. He has a nursery where he raises stock for his own use,
as well as for sale. He is a member of the California .Avocado Association.

In Whittier Mr. Holloway married Miss Donna J. Carter of Iowa, and they are
now the parents of four children — Louise, Helen, Paul and William. The family attend
the Friends Church at Yorba Linda, and Mr. and Mrs. Holloway, as honored, influential
pioneers of the town, never lose an opportunity to advance its material growth and
its development on lines needed for tomorrow.

CHARLES F. W. REUSCH.— .\n old-time rancher early resident in Orange
County who has many interesting and highly instructive stories to tell, is Charles
F. W. Reusch, whose well laid out and equally well-managed ranch is entered from
Placentia Avenue, south of Ball Road in .Anaheim. He was born near Sterling, in
Whiteside County, 111., .April 10, 1877, the son of Henry and .Antone Reusch, Illinois
farmer folks, who removed to Sanders County, Nebr., when our subject was two years
old. There the worthy parents purchased 120 acres of land, which they devoted to
general farming, and there also Charles attended the public school.

In 1889 the parents came out to California and purchased a ten-acre grove on
Collins Avenue, northwest of Orange; and Charles helped to set out the vacant land
to walnuts and oranges. He attended first the grammar school at Orange and then
the high school; and at sixteen years of age left home to care for himself. For a
couple of years he worked on the Adams ranch northwest of Orange, and then he
learned the miller's trade at Olive, and was with the Olive Milling Company for
eleven years, the last four years serving as head miller. While there, he pursued a
course of study with the Pnternational Correspondence School in steam engineering,
and when he had finished he went to work for the Santa Fe Railroad, and was with
them as engineer for four years.

In 1912 he purchased thirty-five acres on Placentia Avenue, southeast of Anaheim,
paying only thirty-five dollars an acre; it was considered waste land and was covered
with cactus and brush, but he had the same cleared; after which he ventured into
mining near Mojave, Cal., for a time. On his return he located on his farm and
engaged in ranching. His mother owns twenty acres 9f the original thirty-five, and
he has twelve; and his portion he has divided up so that he devotes two acres to
walnuts and ten to oranges, irrigated by their own private pumping plant. He belongs
to the .Anaheim Cooperative Orange .Association, and not only profits by their service,
but energetically supports their excellent work. When his people came to Orange,
there was 'only one house between Collins .Avenue and Olive Road, and only one
house on the avenue now called Taft, and so Mr. Reusch is able to compare the past
with the present. He picked the first oranges gathered on the Fletcher Place, and
received in payment one and one-half cents per box for his labor; and it cost him
twenty-five dollars an acre to have his thirty-five acres cleared and leveled. There
was considerable game on the land at that time, and he remembers to have killed
there two mountain lions, several wildcats and one brown bear.

On May 16, 1904, Mr. Reusch was married to Miss Anna Timken, daughter of
Jacob and Martha (Tinken) Timken, who was born in Kansas, and they have four
children: Paul, Ernest, Henry and Bertha, all of whom are at home and students
at the .Anaheim schools. Mrs. Reusch came to California with her parents in 1891,
and for a while lived at .Acton, Cal. Then the family moved to Paso Robles, and
in 1904 came to Southern California. On .April 19, 1911, to the sorrow of all who
knew her, she passed away. On June 16, 1916, Mr. Reusch married a second time,
choosing Miss W'ally NeuhofT for his companion, a native of Saxony, Germany. She
was the daughter of .Arthur and Minnie Neuhoff, and came to the United States in
1909; and ten years later, on July 20, 1919, she. too, passed to the Beyond.

On September 7, 1920, Mr. Reusch was again married, the ceremony taking
place in Anaheim, when he was united with Mrs. Frieda S. ( Kopfer) Swanson, a
daughter of .Adolph and Theodora (Stahl) Kopfer, farmers in DeKalb County, 111.,
until they passed away. Frieda Kopfer received a good education in the excellent
schools of northern Illinois, and there she, too. was married to Theodore Swanson.
a farmer in DeKalb County until his death, in January, 1919. leaving his wife and
four children: Catherine, Dorris. Edgar and Theodore. Having two sisters living
in .Anaheim, on being left on her own resources, Mrs. Swanson came hither, and thus



818 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

it came that she met Mr. Reusch, the acquaintance resulting in their marriage, a union
that is proving very happy and congenial to both. Mr. Reusch appreciates his wife's
encouragement and assistance in his ambition as an horticulturist and pronounces
her a most excellent helpmate. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, and marches
under the banners of the Republican party. From 1916 to 1918 he served as deputy
sheriff of Orange County, and no one who knows his geniality, his fearlessness and his
desire to do justice to all needs to be told that Charles Reusch was a very efficient
and impartial officer.

LEON C. HISERODT.— A rancher who has not only prospered in the Golden
West but who has the satisfaction of knowing that his long-honored parents contributed
their share to the development of this corner of the great American commonwealth, is
Leon C. Hiserodt of 423 North Claudina Street, Anaheim. He was born in Whiteside
County, 111., on June 25. 1869, the son of Edward D. Hiserodt, a farmer, who married
Miss Elizabeth Chatfield. He purchased 320 acres of land in Howard County, Nebr.,
and while his good wife and our subject, for the sake of the boy's schooling, removed
to Fulton, 111., Mr. Hiserodt took up his residence on the farm, and there lived alone
until, in 1884, his family joined him. Then St. Paul was the nearest railroad town;
but later the B. and M. came through that part of Nebraska, and the town of Gushing
was founded. As early as 1853, Edward Hiserodt crossed the great plains with an
ox-team, and when he returned East, he traveled by the Isthmian route. He died in
1910, at the age of eighty-six. His widow is still living in Fullerton, hale and
hearty at the still more advanced age of eighty-eight. A sister of Leon Hiserodt
in 1886 married L. C. Vanderburg, a Nebraskan farmer, and eight years later, Leon
traded his farm with him, the Vanderburg place having many improvements, while
there was only a sod house on the Hiserodt farm, and Mr. Vanderburg wished to come
out to California. In 1897, Mr. Hiserodt sold the Nebraska farm, and came out to
eastern Oregon, where he lived for a couple of years.

On October 2, 1890, Mr. Hiserodt married Miss Hattie M. Dickenson, a native of
Dakota, whose parents came to Iowa, so that she received her education in that state.
Mr. Hiserodt, by the way, studied first at the Northern Illinois College at Fulton, and
later at Northern Nebraska College at Central City. Two sons have blessed this for-
tunate union: Elmer Guy is on a ranch in Orangethorpe; and Earl Orlo is on a ranch
in the Magnolia school district. While in Oregon Mr. Hiserodt had some interesting
experiences, hauling lumber and logging in lumber camps. At Burns, he was in Harney
Valley, which is thirty miles wide, sixty miles long and 5,000 feet in elevation; and he
drove a four-horse team out of the Valley in 1899. When he came South to settle,
he purchased ten acres on West Orangethorpe, and set the same out to oranges; and
in 1905 he purchased another ten acres adjoining on the east, where he also planted
Valencias. This land is under the excellent service of the irrigating system of the
Anaheim Union Water Company, and the soil is very productive. The Hiserodt ranch
is, in fact, one of the best twenty-acre groves for miles around. In national politics
a Republican, in his support of local movements nonpartisan and generous, Mr.
Hiserodt is, in fraternal affairs, popular as a Woodman of the World.

ARTHUR R. MARSOM. — Prominent among the names of the successful men of
affairs of Orange County is that of Arthur R. Marsom, a resident of Fullerton since
1910. and one of the most progressive of the citizens of the growing city. A native of
Michigan, he was born at Detroit on July 14, 1871, the son of Henry and Susie (Mays)
Marsom. Of their family of five children Arthur R. is the third in order of birth and
he received a substantial education in the public schools of his native city. At an
early age he learned the trades of carriage painter and decorator and followed the former
in his home city until 1898.

In the above-named year Mr. Marsom came to California hoping to find a broader
field for his operations and in this he was not disappointed. He began contracting to
build houses in Los Angeles, taking them from basement and walls to a home com-
plete and ready to move into. As he succeeded he opened a store in 1903, wherein he
carried everything to be found in a well-ordered establishment carrying paint, artist
materials, draperies, tapestries, pottery, etc. His trade of decorator was of great assist-
ance to him in finishing houses ready for occupancy by furnishing hangings, rugs,
tapestries to make complete and cosy the homes he constructed. These homes varied
in prices from $2,200 to $35,000. and he did much to build up the western section of
Los Angeles with its fine homes. "' Besides doing a general contracting business, for
which purpose he kept from forty-five to seventy-five men on the payroll, Mr. Marsom
bought property and subdivided it into building lots and erected homes and sold at a
satisfactory advance in price. In the meantime he opened a branch at Long Beach
and thereby was enabled to demonstrate his ability in that beach city. He met with



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 821

more than ordinary success in his business ventures and in 1910 disposed of his inter-
ests in Los Angeles and came to Fullerton and cast in his lot with the embryo city.

That his coming to this place has meant much to the city is demonstrated by his
erecting the first apartment house "The Marwood," in the town and some of the first
bungalows. He invested his money in lots and buildings and entered into the life of
the community with his characteristic energy and in a very short time he was con-
sidered the leader in expansion and development. His investments today represent
over $200,000 in Fullerton, while he also owns a business block in Anaheim. Mr. Mar-
som is an extensive dealer in real estate and is a fine judge of values. His home, which
he built, at 441 East Commonwealth Avenue, is one of the finest to be found in northern
Orange County.

The marriage of Arthur R. Marsom with Miss Marie Warrington was celebrated
in 1893, in Detroit, Mich., where she was born. Of this union there have been born
three children — Earl John, Ivy F. and Blanche Marie, who with their parents have
an ever-widening circle of friends. Mr. Marsom is a stanch Republican in national
affairs but in local matters he is nonpartisan, believing it best for the greatest number
that the man and not the party be recognized. The family are members of the Catholic
Church and Mr. Marsom is a member of the Knights of Columbus, having taken the
third degree. He is a member of the Fullerton Board of Trade and is a hard worker
for all progressive measures for civic improvement and uplift of Fullerton. It is to
such men as Mr. Marsom that California owes a debt of gratitude for they have entered
heartily into all movements for the upbuilding of the greatest state of the union, know-
ing that when others profit they will garner their own share, and at the same time pave
the way for posterity to enjoy the fruits of their labors and thereby build a monument
that will last for all time.

JOHN McFADDEN. — Among the most prominent old-time merchants to whose
well-merited prosperity Santa Ana owes much of its steady progress must be mentioned
John McFadden, who died on June 23, 1915, leaving for his heirs and posterity a record
of honesty and industry such as is always of the highest credit to individuals or to
nations. He was born at Scotch Mountain, near Delhi, in Delaware County, N. Y., in
1843, the son of John McFadden, a native of Perthshire, Scotland, who migrated to
America and settled in New York. He was a farmer, and as an agriculturist, made his
mark in Delaware County. His wife was Effie Lamont before her marriage and she
was a native of the Isle of Wight. Of their eleven children, four sons and a daughter
came out to California: Mary (Mrs. Alvin Palmer) died at Redlands; James closed
his life at Altadena, to which place he had removed on account of Mrs. McFadden's
health: Archibald passed away in Santa Ana, and so did John McFadden, our subject;
while Robert McFadden, the only one surviving, still resides at Santa Ana.

John McFadden was educated in the public schools of Delaware County, N. Y.,
and later the academy at Delhi, N. Y., where he prepared for college, then entered
Union College at Schenectady, N. Y., from which he was graduated in 1867 with the
degree of B.A. In his senior year he was elected to the honorary scholarship society.
Phi Beta Kappa. Soon after that he came to California and engaged in teaching at
Vallejo, Solano County, and later in a military school at Oakland. Next he moved to
Santa Ana, then a small place, and with his brothers, James and Robert, embarked in
the lumber business at Newport. This satisfied him for only a few years, however, and
then he sold out and, in 1879 started in business in Santa Ana. He began on West
Fourth Street with M. J. Bundy and when their partnership was dissolved he moved
to 111 East Fourth Street, where he erected the John McFadden building. Later, for
six or seven years, he was located at 112 East Fifth Street, and then moved back to
113 East Fourth Street, in the John McFadden building. He established the oldest
and largest general hardware establishment in Orange County. At his death the estate
was incorporated as the John McFadden Company, and since that time the family have
carried on the business. Edwin McFadden is president; Clyde Walker, vice-president;
Lamont McFadden, treasurer; and Miss Mabel McFadden, secretary. Mr. McFadden
was one of the stockholders of the First National Bank of Santa Ana until his death,
and also for years a director of that institution.

At Santa Ana, on April 9, 1883, Mr. McFadden was married to Miss Elizabeth
Walker, a native of Oakdale, Washington County, 111., and the daughter of Thomas and
Sarah (McClurken) Walker, natives, respectively, of South Carolina and Illinois. The
father was a farmer in Illinois and early 'settled in Orange County. Soon after his
marriage Mr. McFadden erected the large, comfortable residence at 906 North Main
Street, where the family still make their home. Mr. and Mrs. McFadden were blessed
with five children: Mabel, Edwin and Lamont are giving their time to the success of
the hardware establishment of the John McFadden Company: Ada is a teacher at the



822 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Claremont high school; and Flora is a student at Pomona College, from which insti-
tution Mabel, Ada, Edwin and Lamont in turn graduated.

Mr. McFadden was a member of the United Presbyterian Church, one of the
earliest and most prominent of churches here, and for thirty-five years he served as
clerk of the congregation, and for many years of that time was also its treasurer. He
believed in aiding people in the most practical manner, in the great work of assisting
them to help themselves, and so was one of the founders, and for many years president
of the Home Mutual Building and Loan Association, which has made it possible for
many people to acquire property for themselves, and to get into the self-respecting
habit of saving. Intensely interested in civic matters, he was a prominent member of
the city council of Santa Ana, serving as its president for a number of years; he was
also active in the Chamber of Commerce and in the Merchants and Manufacturers
Association, serving as president of those bodies for several years. In connection with
the separation of Orange County from Los Angeles County, he took a prominent part.
He was fond of fishing and hunting and with his boon companions Messrs. M. M.
Crookshank, A. J. Crookshank, Clarence Crookshank, Z. B. West, Cubbon and Visel,
often went to the mountains for that recreation and sport found in the great wilds of
the Sierras. Mrs. McFadden, like her husband, was much interested in the growth and
development of her adopted city and has always favored and aided all movements that
have for their aim the building up of the city and county and enhancing the comfort
and happiness of its people. She is an active member of the Ebell Club as well as the
Ladies' Aid and Missionary societies of the L'nited Presbyterian Church of Santa .\na.
of which she has been a member since 1878.

JOHN E. SCOTT. — There is no better proof of a town's business prosperity and
progress than the kind of business men it attracts. The cashier of the Placentia
National Bank and the Placentia Savings Bank, John E. Scott, is a man who has had
much experience in banking business.. He is possessed of keen business ability, and
talent fitting him especially for the position he occupies. A Canadian by birth. Mr.
Scott was born in Dunnville, Ontario, January 20, 1885. He is the son of John E. and
Sophia (Galbraith) Scott. The father, who is deceased, was government overseer in
Canada, and in the paternal family of five children John E. is the youngest child. He
was educated in the public schools of his native country, attended high school two
years, and supplemented this with a three years' course at Saint Andrews College.
Toronto. He afterwards worked for the Bank of Hamilton, at Dunnville from 1903 to
1908, as chief teller. In 1908 he came to California, and in 1909 located on an orange
grove at Upland. In 1914 he disposed of his holdings and came to Placentia temporarily
to assist in the bank, but was induced to remain permanently, and on September 1.
1919, he was made cashier. He is also a director in both banks and is president of the
local Chamber of Commerce, is vice-president of Orange County Bankers .Association.-

Mr. Scott's marriage occurred December 2, 1908, uniting him with Miss Lillian
May Krick, also of Dunnville, and they are the parents of three children: John E..
3rd, William Winston and Lawrence Lauchlin. Mr. Scott is a member of the Epis-
copal Church and in his political views is a Republican, and lost no time after his
location in the land of the Stars and Stripes to become a citizen. Fraternally he was
made a Mason in Fullerton Lodge, No. 339. F. & A. M., and is a member of FuUerton
Chapter, R. A. M. Like most of his countrymen he is fond of outdoor sports, fishing
being one of the means of relaxation he enjoys from the cares of business life. .As a
live wire in the interests of Orange County he is a decided acquisition to the com-
munity, and is held in high esteem by his large circle of friends and acquaintances,
among whom he is a favorite socially.

GEORGE ESMAY.— The life of George Esmay. the efi^cient and popular assistant
cashier of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Fullerton is related in a very
interesting manner to those who could boast of pioneer experiences and pioneer deeds,
and reminds one how much of the progress of today is due to all that has gone before.
His great-grandfather, John Esmay, and his grandfather. Thomas Esmay, both moved
from Marathon, Cortland County. N. Y.. westward by team, and passed through Chi-
cago, 111., near Fort Dearborn, where they had to ford the river because there were
no bridges. They settled in Iowa on the western bank of the Mississippi River and
were pioneers of the eastern part of the Hawkeye State. .At Sabula, Jackson County,
Iowa, George Esmay was born on .April 30, 1859, the son of Francis Esmay, who
married Miss Nancy Seeber, both of Cortland County, N. Y.

Growing up in Sabula. George attended the country school of that period and
locality, learned the carpenter's trade and worked until 1879 in his father's sash, door
and blind factory. Then he became a railroad operator, and was cashier and ticket



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 92 of 191)