Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 94 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 94 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his father, William D. Lamb, came to California in 1869 and a record of their lives will
be- found elsewhere in this volume.

Walter D. Lamb was born November 28, 1878. on his father's ranch in Fountain
Valley and grew up there, attending school in the Newhope school district and later
at Santa Ana. From his early youth he was gifted with unusual mechanical ability,
and has always been especially successful in operating farm machinery of all kinds, a
decided asset in these days when more and more of the farm work is being performed
mechanically. Under his father's supervision he early acquired a thorough knowledge
of agricultural processes and when quite young went into celery raising, operating on
an extensive scale when that industry was at its height. As his father always kept a
great many cattle, horses, mules and hogs on his large ranches, Walter Lamb became
accustomed to their care in his boyhood and thus became familiar with every detail of
the live stock business, especially in feeding and fattening steers on sugar beet tops.
He makes a practice of feeding a large drove of cattle for the market each fall and in
this he is expert and has few equals in judging beef cattle in Southern California.

In 1917 Mr. Lainb purchased his extensive stock ranch comprising 1,000 acres, 160
acres of which is leased to an oil company, located ten miles southwest of Chino, and



832 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

here he has a herd of high grade Whiteface cattle, headed with thoroughbred stock.
His first holdings consisted of a tract of twenty acres in Fountain \'alley, near one of
his father's ranches, and this he farms to alfalfa. He also cultivates a ranch of 144 acres
in this locality; this is still the property of his mother. Mrs. Elizabeth Lamb, but she
has given each of her children this amount of land for their use. On this ranch Mr.
Lamb raises large quantities of sugar beets, lima beans and barley, and in the produc-
tion of all of these crops he has had signal success.

On March 14, 1900, Mr. Lamb was married to Miss Gertrude DuBois. the daughter
of Valentine DuBois, one of Orange County's well-known and influential citizens. Mrs.
Lamb, who is a native of Indiana, came here in 1897, graduating later from the Santa
Ana high school. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lamb; Velda May
graduated from the Santa Ana high school in the class of 1919; Inez Loretta died at
the age of two years and five months; and Walter Kenneth. For a number of years
Mr. and Mrs. Lamb resided on their twenty-acre ranch in Fountain Valley, but since
October, 1916, they have made their home in Santa Ana, in the attractive residence
which Mr. Lamb purchased at 415 West Walnut Street.

HENR"y T. RUTHERFORD.— Prominent in banking circles of Orange County for
a number of years, at the time of his decease Henry T. Rutherford was cashier of the
Orange County Trust and Savings Bank at Santa Ana, having been connected with
banking circles for a number of years. His parents were Shelby T. and Mary J. (Bridg-
man) Rutherford, pioneer residents of Orange County. The father was born in Ken-
tucky in 1847, and when he was but a babe he was taken to Missouri by his father,
his mother having died in his infancy. Shelby was early thrown upon his own resources
and consequently had practically no opportunity to acquire an education. At the age of
twelve he went to work on a farm, near Fort Smith, Ark., continuing in that locality
for a number of years. He finally was able to purchase a tract of land for himself,
which he cleared and put in crops. He was fifty miles from a railroad, however, and
there were many other hardships in this new and undeveloped country, so, having
heard of California's better opportunities, he decided to locate here. He first went to
Westminster, but later located on the San Joaquin ranch, leasing land there on which
he farmed for many years, at one time operating 1,000 acres; on retiring from active
ranching life he moved to Santa Ana and there he still makes his home.

Shelby T. Rutherford was for many years keenly interested in the organization
of school districts, realizing his own lack of educational opportunities, and determined
that his children should not be handicapped in this way. For nineteen years he served
on the board of trustees of his home district in Washington County, Ark. On coming
to California, during the first years of the family's residence on the San Joaquin ranch,
the children had to go six miles to attend the Tustin school; Mr. Rutherford was
instrumental in the organization of a district in that locality, serving as a member of
the board as long as he resided on the ranch. Mr. Rutherford's marriage in Arkansas
had united him with Miss Mary J. Bridgman, a native of that state, and four children
were born to them: Henry T., the subject of this sketch; Myrtle, Harriet and Lillian.

Henry T. Rutherford was born at Fort Smith, Ark., August 28, 1877, spending his
boyhood days in that locality. In December, 1887. he came with his parents to Orange
County, and grew up on the San Joaquin ranch. He was educated in the public schools
and graduated from the Santa Ana Business College. He started out quite early in life
to make his own way in the world, his first employment being with the Santa Ana
Produce Company. Later he was with the W. F. Lutz Implement Company for some
time. At the time of the organization of the Farmers and Merchants Bank he started in
with this institution as teller, later advancing to assistant cashier. He was the prime
mover in the consolidation of this bank with the Commercial Bank, and he remained
there as assistant cashier until January, 1915, when he became connected with the
Orange County Trust and Savings Bank, becoming cashier of the latter, which posi-
tion he held at the time of his death, which occurred January 13, 1917.

Industrious and devoted to his business, Mr. Rutherford, although a comparatively
young man at the time of his passing away, had made a marked success and occupied
a place of high esteem in his large circle of friends. He was one of the organizers
and a director of the Chamber of Commerce; president of the Orange County Bankers'
Association; a member and director of the Orange County Country Club, and when
the Elks' Hall was erected he was a member of the building committee. Prominent
in fraternal circles, he was a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M.; Santa
Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Rutherford's marriage, on June 20, 1907, united him with Miss Susie M. Halla-
day, an adopted daughter of the late Daniel Halladay, a sketch of whose life is given
elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Rutherford is a member of the First Presbyterian Church
and is prominent in club circles, being secretary of the Ebell Club.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 8^5

DWIGHT E. MAGILL. — The owner of one of the trimmest ranches in all the
Buaro precinct — Section 34, a tract of ten acres, which he bought in 1911 — is Dwight
E. Magill, a native of Kansas, where he was born on August 9, 1886. He was four
years old when his father, Cyrus Newton Magill, and his mother, who had been
Matilda Brady before her marriage, settled in what is now the Buaro precinct, near
Garden Grove. Thus Dwight grew up in the Garden Grove district, where he attended
the grammar school. He put in a year also in the Orange high school, and then worked
on his father's farm until he was twenty-one. After that Mr. Magill worked for the
Brady Bros, on their hay press, and after learning the business, ran a hay press of
his own for six years. He gave general satisfaction in baling hay, and was successful
beyond that of the ordinary man.

When he was twenty-three years of age, on July 14, 1910, Mr. Magill was married
to Miss Edna Davis, of Los Angeles, the daughter of Frank M. Davis, the well-known
real estate operator of that city. Mrs. Davis, who was in maidenhood Augusta Hagg,
died in the fall of 1919, and since then her husband has lived in Ukiah, Cal., where he
formerly lived when he crossed the great plains in early, romantic days. Besides Mrs.
Magill there is a son, F. Clififord. By a former marriage there is a daughter, Mrs.
R. N. Lake of Los Angeles. In 1911 Mr. Magill bought his ten acres, and for three
years he farmed the land to beans. At the same time he raised hay on 400 acres of
land at Yorba Linda. Three successively dry years, however, made that industry
unprofitable, and since then he has set his ten acres out to walnuts, of late interplanted
with oranges and lemons. He has a deep well and a first-class pumping plant, and
abundant water for irrigation, as the result of which his farm is one of the most
promising of all the acreages roundabout.

Three children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Magill — Marjorie, Dwight E.
and George. Unhappy to relate, the second in the order of birth, on February 21 last,
was severely burned through the explosion of a can of gasoline ignited from a near-by
bonfire. At the time of the accident, the mother and the other two children were at
the home of Cyrus Newton Magill; but the response and subsequent devotion of Dr.
C. C. Violett saved the lad and alleviated much suffering. In days of prosperity, no
family has enjoyed a larger measure of hearty esteem; and in this trying hour, the
sympathy of the community could not fail to flow to the afflicted.

JAMES ALBERT TIMMONS.— A busy man of affairs, whose public services, on
account of both their immediate good and their far-reaching benefits to posterity, de-
serves the grateful remembrance of generations to come, is James Albert Timmons,
a native of Oakland, Coles County, 111., where he was born on June 22, 1864. His
parents were A. Jackson and Lydia Timmons, and they came as farmer-folk from
Indiana to Illinois in early days. Our subject was sent to the common schools of the
district, while he helped on the farm, and then continued his studies at the Gem City
Business College, Quincy, III. When his father embarked in the hardware business at
Oakland, he also helped in the new field. In 1888 he went to Kansas and in Winfield,
Cowley County, engaged for several years in the clothing trade. When he sold out, at
the beginning of the century, he moved from Kansas to California and came to Santa
Ana. He purchased a ranch of thirty acres southwest of the town, six acres of which
had a variety of fruit trees, and went in for general farming. In 1906. he disposed of
this property and moved into town.

Since 1906, Mr. Timmons has engaged in buying and selling ranch and town prop-
erty, and doubtless this experience led to his bringing about one of the greatest of all
local advancements. After repeated efforts had been made to organize for protection
to the land holders along the Santa Ana River in the Newport and Talbert districts,
Mr. Timmons took hold of the project and formed what was known as the Newbert
Protection District — a name derived from the "New" in Newport and the second
syllable in Talbert — called, in 1905, the First Street Land and Improvement Company.
Mr. Timmons was president, and W. T. Newland of Huntington Beach was vice-presi-
dent. This company threw up levees on both sides of the Santa Ana River for a dis-
tance of one and a half miles south from First Street, Santa Ana. On February 23,
1907, they succeeded in passing a bill in the California Legislature, permitting com-
munities to organize for the purpose of protecting land along rivers, washes and can-
yons, from the overflow of streams. At that time E. E. Keech was attorney for the
protection district. Clyde Bishop the assemblyman, and John W. Anderson, state senator
for the district. The old First Street Land and Improvement Company was disorgan-
ized, and the Newbert Protection District came into existence. On August 24, 1907, a
board of directors of the Newbert Protection District issued bonds to the extent of
$185,000, to aid in the district's development, and Mr. Timmons served as the head of
that organization for the first year, and during the ensuing year and a half was its



836 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

secretary; and only when it was thoroughly organized, did he resign. This organization
threw up levees for nine miles on both sides of the Santa Ana River, including the first
mile and a half of development of the First Street Land and Improvement Company,
which protects the ranches along the river, saving the crops against the flood waters.

On January 12. 1892. Mr. Timmons was married to Miss Lulu R. Cash, a native
of Oakland, 111., and the daughter of L. S. and Rowena (Sargent) Cash. She attended
the graded schools of Oakland and later attended the Wesleyan University at Bloom-
ington. III.; her father was a Virginian, while her mother came from Ohio. Two sons
blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Timmons: Howard C. is a teller in the First Na-
tional Bank of Santa Ana; and J. Herbert is associated with his father in the real estate
business. Both of these promising young men have military records of which they
may well be proud, having served in the same company during the late war. Mrs.
Timmons is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Ana. while Mr.
Timmons is a well known figure among the Elks. In national politics he is a Repub-
lican and has been a director in the Chamljer of Commerce, and always worked to
secure enterprises that would aid the building up of Santa Ana. Mr. Timmons' enter-
prise is not only directed to the development of Orange County, but extends into
other portions of California. Thus we find him an organizer of the Oak Ridge Orchards
Company, of which he is president. This company acquired nearly 1.000 acres adjoin-
ing Templeton, San Luis Obispo County, on the southwest, which they are improving
and developing to orchards of pears, prunes, apples and almonds.

MRS. LYDIA A. HEMENWAY.— A thoroughgoing business woman who is
making a splendid success in her ranching activities is Mrs. Lydia A. Hemenway.
who maintains a partnership with her brother, Aaron Buchheim. on the Santa Mar-
garita ranch, southeast of El Toro. Mrs. Hemenway was born near Melrose, Minn.,
the daughter of Frank S. and Carolina (Zymon) Buchheim. Her father was a native
of Germany, having come to the United States when he was but eleven years old. He
settled in Minnesota prior to the Civil War and had enlisted in the Union Army and
was ready to serve, when the war closed. The mother was born in the same part of
Germany as her husband, and came to America wdien she was seventeen years of age,
their marriage taking place in Minnesota.

The eldest of twelve children, seven of whom were born in Minnesota, Mrs.
Hemenway came to California with her parents when she was nine years old. The
family settled near Santa Ana. having purchased a twenty-acre ranch on Seventeenth
Street, which is still a part of the Buchheim estate. Frank S. Buchheim died in
1904, at the age of sixty-one, the mother passing away eleven j^ears later, being seventy-
one at the time of her decease. Mrs. Hemenway spent her girlhood days on the home
ranch, and received her education in the Santa Ana schools. Her first marriage
occurred in 1890, when she was united to John Rumbould, a native of England, three
children being born to them: Mabel is the wife of Hiram Whisler. a rancher on the
Irvine ranch, and they are the parents of two children — Irene and Elmer; Ralph Rum-
bould, a rancher near Westminster, married .\lice Skinner of Santa Ana, and they
have one son, Robert; Roy Rumbould married Adelle McDonald, and two children,
Margaret and Barbara, were born to them. The second marriage of our subject united
her with Rupert Hemenway, and one child was born to them, a daughter. Ruth.

In 1908 Mrs. Hemenway formed a partnership with her brother, Aaron Buch-
heim, and they now operate 1,300 acres of the Santa Margarita ranch. Together they
own their buildings, implements and work stock and equipment. In 1919 they had
250 acres in wheat and 800 acres in barley, 300 acres of which was cut for hay, the
remaining 500 acres being harvested for grain, and the year 1920 they harvested 13,465
sacks of grain. They have also been extensively engaged in raising beans. They find
the best results are obtained by summer fallowing, thus letting the ground rest a year
and materially increasing the yield. The motive power for operating the ranch is
furnished by five eight-horse and mule teams.

A woman of unusual energy and business acumen, w'ith the faculty of getting
on harmoniously with all her employees, Mrs. Hemenway is highly regarded in the
whole community, and her generous, kindly spirit leads her to take a public-spirited
interest in all the neighborhood affairs. She is endowed by nature with a strong intui-
tion and is a very accurate judge of human nature; thus she is able to select help that
she can depend on, and with the success that comes to her she is more and more enjoy-
ing the increasing business, and apparently does not mind the cares that big business
brings, but, on the other hand, she is not content unless she is actively at the helm
guiding and directing the operations. She is well read and well posted and is an
interesting conversationalist. Would we had many more women like Lydia Buch-
heim Hemenway!




"^^^^^^^c^ (^- r^^C-i'^.i.^.yi^Z'-c.^^OyY'



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 839

WILLIS F. MITCHELL.— A hard working, highly intelligent, successful young
ranchman, whose honors have been increased through a meretorious naval record in the
service of his country, is Willis F. Mitchell, son of Superintendent W. G. Mitchell.
in charge of the great Irvine or San Joaquin ranch. He is really best known by the
familiar name "Bud" Mitchell, and as such is about as welcome a native son, where-
ever he goes, as anyone in Orange County. He was born at Tustin, on August 11,
1896, one of three children, and enjoyed the most favorable home advantages under the
loving care of his mother, who was Emily Sarah Green before her marriage. His older
brother was Ralph John Mitchell, who served in the World War as a sergeant in the
the U. S. Army, in time honorably discharged; a sister, Florence Margaret, who is now
in the Orange high school, is the youngest of the family.

Willis Frederick, the second in order of birth, grew up on the San Joaquin
ranch, and helped his father farm when he was yet a youth, at the same time that he
attended the local public schools. In June, 1917, he was graduated from the Orange
high school, and in the following September he enlisted in the U. S. Navy at San
Pedro, and served as a seaman gunner on the Cruiser U. S. S. "Seattle," convoying
troops overseas and later on the oil tanker "Wico," crossing the Atlantic si.x times.
On their last trip over, they accompanied the Italian ship, "Silvia," and he was an eye-
witness to her being torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine, and beheld the Silvia,
which had a cargo of a million dollars worth of steel, plunge down to her watery
grave. He himself had the pleasure of firing six of the fifteen shots sent at the sub-
marine, 100 miles from the Straits of Gibraltar; and whether through expert handling
of their own vessel, or merely good luck, the United States steamer delivered its cargo
of gasoline safely at the various Mediterranean ports. He was seven months in actual
service, and finally landed at Philadelphia on November 10, 1918, and was honorably
discharged at the Brooklyn Navy Yard on January 2i, 1919. Arriving home, he lost
no time in doffing his naval uniform, cherished though that was, for the ranchman's
garb. Now he is an active member of the American Legion, at Orange. He has always
been interested in athletics, particularly baseball; was a member of the Orange high
school team that won the Southern California championship in 1914. He is now captain
of the Orange baseball team.

Mr. Mitchell is farming 180 acres in lima beans, and on seventy-five acres he is
raising barley hay, so that he is cultivating 255 acres in all. He operates as far as
possible according to the last word in science, and profits by careful observation and
comparison with previous experiences. It is likely to be only a question of time for
him to be among the leading ranchmen of his district.

FRED H. WEISEL. — .\ horticulturist of .\naheim who very worthily represents,
as the son of the late Peter Weisel, another citizen of prominence, one of the broad-
minded builders of the community, is Fred H. Weisel, who came to Orange County in
the early nineties, when he was one year old, and who has therefore been identified
with Southern California all his life. He was born at Milwaukee, Wis., in 1890, the
son of Peter Weisel, a native of Germany who came to Milwaukee when he was seven-
teen years old and there learned the machinist's trade. He followed the building of
steam engines until 1892, when he came out to California, bringing with him his family,
and soon after bought the old cannery. This he enlarged, and he was one of the first
here to make a success of canning fruits, managing it for several years.

When he came here, Peter Weisel bought twenty acres on Ball Road, now the
Royer ranch, which he improved with walnut trees, and where he made a home place;
later he bought more land and, after bringing that to a high state of development, sold
all that he had and in 1903 located in Anaheim. After a while, he took a trip back
to his old home in Germany; and there, in 1906, having fulfilled his mission as an
industrious mortal who had been permitted to enjoy some of the good things in life,
he passed away, in his seventieth year. His body was sent on to Anaheim for inter-
ment, and he was buried in the local cemetery. Mrs. Weisel, who long resided at Ana-
heim, died here in 1919, at the age of seventy-two.

Nine children blessed the mating of this worthy couple. Delia is Mrs. Larsen
of Hollywood; Josephine is Mrs. Krastle of Anaheim; P. J. Weisel lives at Santa Fe
Springs; Flora is the wife of Joseph Hiltschen of Anaheim; Elsa is Mrs. Schellens of
Olive; Hettie is the wife of Dr. Houck of .\naheini; Hans \". is the well known attorney
of the same city; Gretchen is the wife of Dr. Syer of Los .\ngeles; and Fred H. of this
review. Reared and educated in .Anaheim, he was duly graduated from the Anaheim
high school, in 1909, and began ranching with eleven acres of his own at the corner of
Olive and Sunkist, which he set out to \'alencia oranges; with others he sunk a well
and formed a water company, and in 1919 he sold what he had and bought twenty acres
on South Sunkist Avenue, already set out to Valencia oranges. He built his residence,
3:



840 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

sunk a well and then joined the Anaheim Orange and Lemon Association, in which he
lias always been especially interested.

On August IS, 1912, and at Anaheim, Mr. Weisel was married to Miss Margaret
Tedrick who was born near Hutchinson, Reno County, Kans., the daughter of George
and Belle (Duckworth) Tedrick, natives respectively of Ohio and Iowa. Her father
was engaged in educational work, teaching in Kansas, and in 1908 came with his family
to California, where he followed ranching. He then entered the civil service, and has
been so engaged ever since. The eldest of their three children, Mrs. Weisel was grad-
uated from the Anaheim Union high school in 1911. She belongs to the Methodist
Episcopal Church.

ROBERT B. JOHNSON.— A substantial citizen of Orange County who enjoys
good reading, is interested in local annals and takes pride in family ancestry, is Robert
B. Johnson, who was born in Stark County, 111., on a farm northwest of Peoria, on
July 12, 1870. His father was Andrew Jackson Johnson, a native of Illinois, who had
married Miss Margaret Campbell, a native of Pennsylvania. As a farmer, he had 240
acres of rich corn land, which he sold in 1888, when he went to Nebraska. Eight of
their children survived, and Robert is the youngest son.

He enjoyed a thorough, common school education in Illinois, and later graduated
from the Norfolk, Nebr., high school. In 1896, he entered the Rush Medital College,
from which he was graduated with honors as a member of the class of 1900. He spent
his vacation at home, and the same year, 1900, began practicing medicine at New
Salem, 111.

After a couple of years, however, Mr. Johnson decided that he preferred mer-
cantile life, and he became a partner in a dry goods business at Norfolk, Nebr. On
September 23, 1903, he was married to Miss Nelle F. Ingalsbe, a native of Illinois, who
was a teacher. One child, born in Nebraska on September 27, 1907, and christened



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 94 of 191)