Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 95 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 95 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William B. Johnson, was born of this happy union.

In 1908 Mr. Johnson came to California and in the summer of the same year
bought eight and a half acres of oranges and apricots near Orange, Soon afterward.
he purchased eleven acres in the far-famed frostless belt at Villa Park. He erected
buildings there, and made other improvements. Now, with the help of a nephew,
Harlan S. Johnson, who lives with him, Mr. Johnson is operating forty-four acres.
He belongs to the Villa Park Orchards and the Central Lemon associations, contributes
what he can by a live, intelligent interest, in the advancement of the citrus and walnut
mdustries, and under the banners of the Republican party works hard for higher civic
standards — better citizenship.

DAVID OLIVER STEWART.— Among the native-born sons of California who
for years has occupied a place of prominence, particularly in the Huntington Beach
district, is David Oliver Stewart, who possesses in a large measure those qualities that
make for success in the upbuilding of a country, enterprise and determination, which
he no doubt inherited from his father. The latter, Oliver C. Stewart, a native of Utah,
came to the state as a pioneer in the early days, and farmed for many years in San
Bernardino County. In 1869 the family removed to Ft. Worth. Texas, where they
remained until 1879 when they returned to San Bernardino and in 1880 came to Orange
County and settling in the famous peat lands near Westminster, being among the first
settlers in that locality. Oliver C. Stewart died at the age of sixty-six. his wife, Martha
(Brush> Stewart, born in Illinois, also being deceased.

Of their four children, David Oliver was the eldest. He was born in San Ber-
nardino County on July 31, 1867, and when a babe of two years removed with his
parents to Ft. Worth. Texas, where they remained till 1879 and in 1880 they came to
Westminster, now Orange County, where he received his education in the public
schools. He began to learn the rudiments of farming at an early age. helping his
father on the home place. Until he was twenty years of age he continued to assist
his father, who was at that time extensively engaged in general farming. On the
land which the father had purchased was a tule swamp which was practically worthless.
They inaugurated a system of drainage, however, that was very successful and proved
to be the beginning of reclamation work in that district. The rich land thus made
available v.as found especially adapted to the raising of celery and they were very-
successful in its production.

In 1888, David Oliver Stewart began farming- for himself and on a tract of land
that he purchased he began raising potatoes, corn and barley. He was unusually suc-
cessful and never had a crop failure in the long term of years that he continued in this
field. For a time he gave up his active farming interests, going to Huntington Beach
to live. He was one of the tirst to recognize the value of beach property and bought



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 843

sixty acres at the low price of thirty dollars an acre, afterwards disposing of forty
acres of it for $300 an acre. For about ten years Mr. Stewart has been vice-president
of the First National Bank of Huntington Beach and he appraises practically all the
loans on lands made by that bank. His ability and many years of experience as a
rancher and his long and intimate knowledge of men and acres in Orange County make
his judgment authoritative in these matters, -and there is perhaps no man in this region
so well informed on land values as he. Mr. Stewart is also again actively engaged in
ranching, raising sugar beets and lima beans. Notwithstanding his responsible duties
in connection with his banking interests he is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and work
and he does practically all the cultivating and planting on his twenty-seven-acre ranch
in the Del Mar district, adjoining Huntington Beach.

In 1887 Mr. Stewart was married to Miss Alice Nixon, the ceremony being per-
formed at Westminster. She is a native of Cedar Vale, Kans., and came to California
with her parents when only two years old. She is the daughter of Andrew and Hannah
(Conklin) Nixon, natives of Kansas and Ohio, respectively. The father was drowned
on the coast where Huntington Beach now is. being probably the first victim. He
came here and took up land on the present site of Huntington Beach, but was dis-
possessed by the Stearns Rancho Company, the family being ousted soon after the
father's accidental drowning. There were three daughters in the Nixon family: Alice,
Mrs. David Oliver Stewart; Ella, Mrs. John Graham of Bolsa; and Lilly, the wife of
John Slayback of Hemet, Cal. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are the parents of four children:
Farl, who married Miss Gladys Abbott, died November 27, 1919; Sylvia is the wife of
Daye Compton of Monroe, Mich.; Maud is Mrs. Clarence Shermer of Pasadena; Rena
is the wife of Harry Lindsay of Ogden, Utah. Mr. Stewart has always been very
active in the municipal affairs of Huntington Beach, having helped to incorporate the
city; he was a member of its first board of trustees and has since served two addi-
tional terms. His opinion is always highly regarded for it is to such progressive and
far-seeing men as he that the city is indebted for its growth and development.

A. B. and L. S. HAVEN. — Prominent among the industries of California that have
proven of the greatest benefit to Santa Ana, and so have added greatly to the wealth,
prosperity and progress of Orange County, must be rated that of the Haven Seed
Company, which expends over $100,000 annually in the town for labor and supplies.
The business was organized and founded by E. M. Haven, an Ohioan and a member
of a family of English origin. The progenitor of the family in America was Richard
Haven, who came from the west of England and settled in Lynn. Mass., in 1644. He
sought neither the wealth of the Incas, nor did he hope to find mines of gold, nor did
he pant for the conquest of a new world, but as an humble artisan, a carpenter by trade,
he hoped to find here an opportunity to pursue his calling in the freedom of a sincere
Christian heart. The great-great-grandfather of A. B. Haven, Elisha Haven, married
at Warwick, Mass., in 1792, into the Goodell family, of French descent, members of
whom sailed from a port on the west coast of England to America on the ship "Eliza-
beth" in 1634. John Haven, great-grandfather, was a native of New Hampshire, but
had resided in Vermont, Eastern New York and Ohio. He married, in 1820, at Shalers-
ville, Ohio, into the noted English family of Sanford. Grandfather, G. W. Haven, was
born in Shalersville, Ohio, September 18, 1831; and at North Eaton, that state, in 1854,
married into the Wilmot family, also of English descent. He was a pioneer farmer in
the Buckej'e State. The Haven ancestors were numbered among those pioneers who
made farm homes by clearing forests and doing the hardest kinds of lal)or to accomplish
their objects. E. M. Haven grew up in Michigan, to which state his parents removed
in 1863, when he was a lad of eight years. There he married, on February 27, 1878,
Miss Ludema PeLong, a lady of French extraction, born on March 14. 1859, in South
Lyons, Oakland County, Mich. At Bloomingdale, Van Buren County, Mich., E. M.
Haven started the Haven Seed Company, in 1875.

The business grew and expanded, and in 1891 Mr. Haven moved to South Haven,
Mich., and there built up a wholesale trade, making a specialty of tomato, radish, beans,
cucumber, sweet corn and other vegetable seeds, the farmers growing them under con-
tract and Mr. Haven selling to seed dealers. In the autumn of 1903, the Haven family
moved out to California, and for a season settled in San Luis Obispo County. From
1905 to 1909, they operated in San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties, and in 1910 put
in their first year in Orange County at Tustin, where they conducted a seed farm.
In September, 1917, E. M. Haven died, mourned by all who knew him, esteemed his
winning personality and admired his extraordinary ability. Since then. Mrs. Haven
has resided in Santa Ana.

A. B. Haven, the president and manager of the Haven Seed Company represents
the ninth generation in America and was born at Bloomingdale, Mich., on .August 25,



844 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

1881. He bought forty acres, in 1917, adjoining the city limits of Santa Ana — a fine tract
since then increased to 100 acres — and there had built a large warehouse of hollow tile,
55 X 12 feet in size, three stories high. Together with another warehouse, the company
has some 13,000 feet of floor space; they also have finely-equipped offices, and have
laid no less than thirty miles of tiling for drainage purposes, the exact value of which
is being slowly tested and demonstrated. • The water from their wells is lifted by
pumps operated by electric power, furnishing an abundant and ample supply for irri-
gation. In 1918, also, a fine barn, 52 x 120 feet in size, was erected, to care for the
twenty-four head of horses and mules, with additional buildings for the Holt caterpillar
tractor, and other high-grade farming paraphernalia. This barn, erected after A. B.
Haven's own plans, with many novel features all ingeniously arranged, is said to be
the most up-to-date in all the county. In 1914, the Haven Seed Company was incorpo-
rated under the laws of the state of California.

Mr. Haven and his brother, L. S. Haven, who was born in South Haven, Mich.,
on July 8, 1895, and is secretary of the Haven Seed Company— with C. E. Utt of Tustin,
as treasurer — have spent their entire lives in the seed business, and are decidedly
practical men. They make a specialty of tomato seeds, and grow upwards of eighty
varieties, being in that respect the largest growers of tomato seeds in the world.
Two-thirds of their 600 acres are given up to tomatoes, and their seeds go to every
civilized country on the globe. Part of their success is undoubtedly due to the orig-
inality of their improved methods, one of which is the most approved means of sepa-
rating the seed — an invention that is the outgrowth of original ideas of members of
the corporation and perfected by A. B. Haven. Besides the eighty varieties of tomatoes
grown, the Haven Seed Company also produce several varieties each of eggplant,
pepper, cucumber and special crops of other vegetable seeds including lima beans.
Great care is taken that only the best seed is distributed to anyone.

A. B. Haven was married August 23, 1911, at Tustin, Cal., to Miss Lizzie H.
Brown, by w"hom he has had five children — Mary, Archibald B., Jr., Annie, Elizabeth
and Hilda L. In 1918 he built for himself and family a bungalow residence on the seed
farm. L. S. Haven was married at Santa Ana, his bride being Miss Cammie B. Mitchell,
with whom he now resides on Broadway, in Santa Ana. Two children have blessed their
union, Ralph L. and Earl M. The Havens attend the Christian Church at Santa Ana.

MRS. MAUDE H. CHASE.— A highly cultured lady whose interest in art, espec-
ially painting — in which she herself, blessed with exceptional talent, is very proficient —
has enabled her to contribute much for the edification and happiness of others, is Mrs.
Maude H. Chase, the widow of the esteemed Charles H. Chase, living at 1701 North
Bush Street, Santa Ana. She was born in West Side, Iowa, the daughter of LeRoy
and Lottie L. (Rowland) Hall, who took her, when she was a mere baby, to Crawford,
Nebr. There her father, a banker by profession, had the Commercial State Bank of
Crawford, and he lived there for tliirty-five years,

Maude Hall attended the public schools of Crawford, matriculating in time at the
Nebraska State University; and after a course of study in that thorough institution, she
later studied at the Armour Institute of Technology in Chicago. From time to time,
she also studied painting in water colors and on china, and attained to a pleasing fame
among her friends. In Chicago, Miss Hall was married to Charles H. Chase,, a native
of Akron. Ohio, where he was born on June 21, 1871, the son of a physician. Dr. Byron
Chase, who had married Miss Henrietta Sabin. He attended the schools of Akron,
and later graduated from the law school of the Western Reserve College.

After their happy marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Chase removed to Denver, Colo., where
Mr. Chase was associated for a year with the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company. Then
they removed to Crawford, Nebr., and there Mr. Chase was in the mercantile trade.
He was also elected and reelected the first mayor of Crawford, holding that responsible
office for two consecutive terms. He was also affiliated with the Commercial State
Bank of Crawford, and while in the bank was a member of the state legislature,
representing the sixth district. His business was wholesale fruit and produce; and he
was busy in that line, as one of the commercial leaders of the city, when he passed on,
June 21, 1914, a member of the Congregational Church.

Mr. Chase was a member of the Akron Lodge of B. P. O. Elks, and had just
taken his first steps in Masonry. Mrs. Chase is an active member of the Eastern Star,
and also a prominent member of the local Ebell Club, the Santa Ana Chapter, P. E. O.,
and the Laguna .A.rt Association. As a Christian Scientist, she belongs to the Mother
Church of that organization at Boston, Mass; and she takes an active part in public
welfare work, and was an active participant in all war work expected of women. Four
children have given joy to Mr. and Mrs. Chase: Henrietta H. is a student in the
Santa Ana high school; Charlotte E. attends the Intermediate school, as does also
Charles H.; and Bryon L. is in the second grade.




0^1^ -^ sk^^?^!^^.,^/^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 849

ALMON GOODWIN. — A successful rancher who never fails to interest, as an
experienced old settler, the traveler looking for early California stories, is Almon
Goodwin, whose uncle, Maj. C. M. Goodwin, was on the expedition with General Fre-
mont when he was putting down the Indian uprisings and clearing the country for the
white settlers. .A.s an old-timer, he has had much to do with the development of
Orange County, and few are assured of longer or more delightful remembrance by an
appreciative posterity. A native son naturally proud of his association with this Pacific
commonwealth, Mr. Goodwin was born near Stockton, in San Joaquin County, on June
24, 1854, the son of Almon D. Goodwin, a native of St. Lawrence County, N. Y., who
had married a daughter of Vermont, Miss Martha Brosee. ,\s far back as 1852 his
parents came to San Joaquin County, and Almon was sent to the San Joaquin district
schools and to the Stockton high school. One of his fellow students in those early,
rawer days was James H. Budd, popularly known as "Jim," who afterward went to
Congress and then became governor of California.

Almon Goodwin spent the early days with his father on a wheat ranch of 1,080
acres in the San Joaquin Valley, and in 1875 he and his brother George bought his
father's ranch, where he remained until the fall of 1880. He then sold his holdings,
came south and settled in Tustin; and there he purchased ten and one-quarter acres of
old Mr. Moorehead. which he set out to oranges. At the same time, he bought 552
acres in the Los Bolsa district, and also ninety-seven acres near Fairview, which he
leased out for a while and then managed for himself. He planted 200 acres to alfalfa
the first year he came South, and started a dairy farm, becoming in time sole owner,
and also raised horses, mules and hogs. He built the first cheese factory hereabouts,
five miles from Santa .\na, west of where the Bolsa store now stands on section No.
18; and he had his young stock on his farm at Fairview, all this time making his home
on his seven-acre grove on First Street, in Tustin. In January, 1886, he sold out his
seven-acre grove and moved into Santa .\na; and, while residing here, he ran the two
ranches at the same time. During the boom in IS-'iS, however, he sold his holdings in
Bolsa and Fairview.

While living in Santa Ana, Mr. Goodwin started orange grove development in
Orangthorpe, and in 1890 set out fifteen acres of oranges on Commonwealth Avenue
in Fullerton. In 1891 he planted fifteen acres of walnuts and five acres of oranges in
West Orangethorpe; moving up to Orangethorpe in 1898. He sold the fifteen acres at
Fullerton the second year after he set out the grove, and in 1907 disposed of the twenty
acres in West Orangethorpe. He lived in Fullerton, and in 1910 built a home on his
ranch on East Orangethorpe .\venue. At the present time he has eighteen acres in his
ranch, and this is devoted to the culture of oranges. He has a well of sixty-two inches
of water with a private pumping plant, where he installed a Lane and Boiler pump.

On February 14, 1874, Mr. Goodwin was married to Miss Katherine Vilinger, a
native of the same district in San Joaquin County m which he first saw the light of
day. She attended the San Joaquin County schools, and became the mother of four
children: Jesse is on the ranch adjoining his father at Orangethorpe; Pearl is Mrs.
Parker and lives on a ranch on East Orangethorpe Avenue; William A. is in Fullerton;
and Florence E. has become Mrs. Howard and resides in Shasta County. Mr. Goodwin
is a public-spirited man, as might be inferred from such a career affecting the destinies
of others beside himself; and he has served three terms on the city council of Santa
Ana — two terms for two years, and one for four. He is a member of Lodge No. 236,
I. O. O. F. of Santa Ana, and Mrs. Goodwin is a member of the Methodist Church in
Fullerton as well as of the Rebekahs.

MISS BERTHA D. PROCTOR.— Not everyone, perhaps, who enjoys the high
degree of popularity with which Miss Bertha D. Proctor, the very efficient librarian of
Huntington Beach, is favored, so well deserves the honor and good will of their fellows,
for she is both a young woman of exceptionable ability, and an indefatigable worker,
ever having the best and most permanent interests of the community at heart. She was
born at Janesville, Wis., the daughter of Joel Proctor, who had married Miss Delia
Scott; and with them she resides at 242 Fourteenth Street, Huntington Beach. .\
younger and only brother has the responsibility of the Saltville salt works near Rands-
burg, Cal.

Having graduated from the Janesville high school, and removed to the Pacific
Coast, Miss Proctor attended the Los Angeles Normal School and secured a certificate
to teach. For two years she was assistant principal, and for two years principal of the
Riverside grammar school; but believing that in still another field lay her true mission
in life, she went to Long Beach and there took the librarian's course under Miss Mun-
son, the cataloguer, of the State Library. On finishing this course, she came to Hunt-
ington Beach, and has been closely identified with the growth of the town ever since.



850 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

The library, one of the youngest but among the most promising in Orange County,
has been erected on six lots, at the corner of Eighth and Walnut streets, valued at
$2,350. It was established through the library association which was formed on
February 9, 1909. and which became a public library association on June 14, 1919. The
library is well patronized, as may be seen from the fact that in ninety days the circu-
lation was 9,360 volumes, taken out by 1,062 cardholders. Besides the collection of
books, the library has over 800 very attractive stereopticon views.

The basement of the library structure is used by the Chamber of Commerce, of
which Miss Proctor is the assistant secretary; and there a superb exhibit of the many
varieties of Huntington Beach products of the soil is maintained. At the last Orange
County Fair, Miss Proctor was in charge of the County Library exhibit, and a recent
issue of The Golden West describes what was seen there as follows:

"A large and artistically arranged booth, decorated with flowers and plants,
housed the exhibits of Santa Ana, Orange, Fullerton and Huntington Beach, each
of which was both creditable and interesting. Books, magazines, papers and pic-
tures told of the attractions and benefits of the various libraries, and Miss Bertha
Proctor explained to all questioners the system and many avenues of library work.
Miss Proctor is the librarian of Huntington Beach Carnegie Library, which is
strictly up-to-date as to equipment and furnishings, while the circulation is excep-
tionally good for the size of the city. Gardens of flowers, walks, a fountain, a
flagpole and ornamental lights surround the building, and adjacent lots have been
converted into croquet courts and quoit grounds, while Nature has provided the
sea beach only a block away for an outdoor reading room. The library is one of
the most valuable assets of Huntington Beach, and is the pride of the little city."
Miss Proctor has a well developed artistic sense very useful to her in her public
work: and this is shown in her displays as an amateur kodaker, and also a painter and
a decorator — a field in which she has taken rank among the best of local amateurs. Her
own popularity has contributed much to make the library a more popular and a more
serviceable institution — a good example of the value, in sociological work especially, of
character and the trained intellect.

HUNTINGTON BEACH CARNEGIE PUBLIC LIBRARY.— Among the live-
liest agencies long and most effectively working for the upbuilding of Huntington Beach
must be rated the Carnegie Public Library, since 1911 in charge of Miss Bertha D,
Proctor, librarian. In 1909, R. M. Blodgef and Mrs. R. H. Lindgren aroused the
interest of both the Board of Trade and the Woman's Club, and a library organization
was formed by Mrs. Lindgren, Mrs. Blodget. Mrs. Mary Manske, Mrs. C. D. Heart-
well, Mrs. Minnie Nutt and Mr. Blodget. One dollar was fixed as the membership
fee. a "drive" brought in many new supporters, and an entertainment by the Woman's
Club netted fifty dollars. Mr. Reed guaranteed fifty dollars for the purchase of an
old building that was being moved from the present site of the Collins Block to the
southwest corner of Walnut and Main streets; carpenters and painters donated services
to assist in making the affair, a mere shell, habitable; secondhand furniture was painted
up and varnished; Mr. H. Gibbs furnished the fuel for the first winter, and the Hunt-
ington Beach Company the electricity and water until the library moved to its present
building.

In 1909. the city agreed to provide for the lilirary, and the first board of trustees
was chosen with the appointment of A. W. Everett, Mrs. Lindgren, Mrs. S. L. Blodget,
Mrs. Manske and Mrs. Ida Vincent, all of whom served the community with rare
fidelity. So did the first librarian. Miss Edith Brown, whose highly-intelligent work
lives after her. In 1910, Miss Maude D. Andrus succeeded Miss Brown, who was
deceased, and then the library building was removed to the southwest corner of Third
and Walnut streets, and enlarged.

In February, 1911, Miss Proctor took charge of the librarj', which had now come
to be in greater demand, owing to the establishing here of the Holly Sugar Factory.
Soon after, four lots on the corner of Eighth and Walnuts steets were bought as a
site for future library purposes, and on February 13, 1913 — a red-letter day in the
history of Huntington Beach — the glad tidings was received from New York that the
Carnegie Corporation had given the city of Huntington Beach $10,000 for the erection
of a public library building. In November of the same year, fitting ceremonies
attended the laying of the cornerstone, and on May 7, 1914, the library was moved to
its new home, a dignified structure faced with red tapestry brick, trimmed with a
brick of light gray, and having a mission tile roof. It is 35 x 61 feet in size, and has a
basement ten feet deep. It contains a large lecture room, a reference room, a work-
room and a furnace room, while on the first floor is the general reading room, the
children's room and the librarian's room. The furnishings are steel, and battleship
linoleum carpets the floors. A tall grandfather's clock stands at the entrance, the gift
of the high school graduates in 1914.



p^




■■





Wj^


m9

Ml




^^1


H




i


' 1


^^^v


^


^ 3; -, "^^^M^


-rJ


^^^^^H,


t . 1


H^^K. I'/^'.'^^IH


j^.-£^





ri




n



'^z^tz^^/Z^'^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 853

Largely because of the broad and liberal spirit of the city fathers toward this



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 95 of 191)