Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 96 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 96 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


meritorious institution, much has been done to beautify the library grounds, from time
to time, and the library itself has been steadily augmented. When Miss Proctor took
charge, there were only 300 volumes, but now she and her assistant, Mrs. E. J. Harlow,
are responsible for over 6,500 well selected works in all fields of knowledge. Popular
magazines and the leading newspapers are also to be found here. The present board
of trustees consists of the president, H. T. Dunning; secretary, J. H.Eader, and A. M.
O'Brien, Mrs. Ed Manning and Mrs. S. A. Moore.

EMANUEL C. FRANZEN. — There is always something inspiring to the historian
in writing of a man who has made his own way in a successful battle with the world,
despite, too, the moments when the issues depended altogether on the pluck and tenacity
of the contestant. Emanuel C. Franzen, who owns a beautiful ranch and home site
at the corner of Fairhaven and Yorba avenues, is one of those whose intelligence and
hardihood have carried him through to the goal, and one with whom it is ever a pleas-
ure to come into close contact.

He was born near Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, November 13, 1867, and is the
son of Asnius Franzen, also born there of an old Danish family, who married one of
his countrywomen, Miss Dorothea Schmidt. In 1879 the family came to Sycamore,
DeKalb County, 111., and in 1880 to Columbus Junction, Louisa County, Iowa, where
he followed farming until 1889, when they came to Orange, Cal., and was engaged
in horticulture until he retired. He had served in the Schleswig-Holstein War in
1864-66, and also in the Franco-Prussian War. The mother died in March, 1913, while
the father died in 1916. They had four children, among whom our subject is the only
son. Besides Emanuel C. Franzen, who is the eldest, two are living: Mrs. Christine
Co.x of Santa Ana, and Mrs. Minnie Rohrs of Orange.

Emanuel C. Franzen was twelve years of age when he came to the United
States, and he attended the public schools in Illinois and Iowa, and during spare
time worked on his father's farm. In 1887 he came to Orange, arriving on November
7 of that year. He began work in orchards, so has been associated with citrus growing
since 1887. As was the custom, his wages went to his father until he was twenty-one
years of age, when he engaged in farming for himself. He worked on a farm nine
months, was employed for two years on a ranch in Villa Park, when he went to Los
Angeles and worked for Phil Hirschfeld and Company (now Zellerbach). While
there he attended the Los Angeles Business College at night after work was over.
After being employed for two years at Hirschfeld & Company he returned to Orange.
In 1890 he bought his present ten acres of land on Fairhaven and Yorba avenues.
He grubbed out the deciduous and eucalyptus tres and raised farm produce. In 1894 he
set five acres of apricots, but when they began bearing the price of apricots was so
low it did not pay, so he took them out and set out Valencia oranges, and now he
has a splendid bearing orange grove of ten acres under the Santa Ana Valley Irriga-
tion Company. He has built a large modern residence, as well as improved it with
other suitable farm buildings.

At, Orange on July 11, 1895, Mr. Franzen was united in marriage with Miss
Emilie Engelbert, a daughter of Rev. William P. and Catherine ( Deitz) Engelbert.
William P. Engelbert was a graduate of Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Ind.. and
was a minister in the German Lutheran Church, preaching in one congregation in Ohio
for eight years, then was called to Racine, Wis., where he founded St. John's Lutheran
Church, and under his guidance it became a power for good, and he continued as
their much loved pastor for seventeen years, until his death December 30, 1878. His
widow spent her last days in Los Angeles, and died September 26, 1890. They had
ten children, eight of whom grew up and three are still living. Besides Mrs. Franzen
there is a sister, Mrs. Pauline Eifler of Los Angeles, and a brother. Rev. Ferdinand
Engelbert, pastor of the Lutheran Church at Braddock, Pa. Mrs. Franzen was born
in Racine, Wis., and there received a good education, coming to Orange County, Cal.,
with her mother in 1887. and it was here she met Mr. Franzen, their acquaintance
resulting in their marriage, and of their union three children have been born, Lillian,
Alma and Herman.

Mr. Franzen has been a member of the McPherson Heights Citrus Association
from its organization, and being interested in the cause of education, has served as
a trustee of the El Modena school district for eight years. The family are members
of St. Peter's Lutheran Church at Santa .\na, Mr. Franzen being a member of its
board of trustees, while Mrs. Franzen is an active member and ex-secretary of the
Ladies' Aid Society and an active Sunday School worker, and their daughter. Mrs.
Alma Reusch, is the organist.



854 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

WILLIAM T. NEWLAND.— A pioneer settler of Orange County who has watched
and aided its growth from a primitive condition to its present state of perfection, is
William T. Newland, since 1882 a resident of California. A native of Adams County,
111., Mr. Newland was born at Camp Point, a short distance from Quincy. He is
descended from Revolutionary stock anjl his father, John Newland, a native of Penn-
sylvania, served in the Third Missouri Cavalry in the Civil War, and died during his
service. John Newland had married Mary Wortick, also a native of Pennsylvania, and
of the six children born to them, William T., the subject of this sketch, was the eldest.
He was only eleven years old when his father left home to enlist and his death a little
more than two years later left him the practical head of the little family and it became
necessary to assist his mother in caring for the younger children; but this seeming
handicap only developed his self-reliance and gave him the determination to succeed.
When Mr. Newland was seventeen years old he went to Morgan County, 111., and
began working on the farm of John M. DeLapp for thirteen dollars and a half a month,
sending this money home to his widowed mother until her death two years later.
When Mr. Newland was twenty-five years of age he was married to Mary Juanita
DeLapp. the daughter of his employer.

After Mr. Newland's marriage he continued to farm in Morgan County until 1882,
when he sold out his holdings there and removed to California. The first eight months
were spent at Half Moon Bay, and then he came to Los Angeles and bought an eighty-
acre farm one mile west of Compton. In 1886 he came to what is now Orange County
and leased land from James Irvine, where Mr. Newland cleared and broke the land
and put in the first large crop of barley raised on it. Afterwards he came up to his
present location near what is now Huntington Beach and bought a tract of 520 acres;
mostly tule land, and for the most part considered valueless. But with the native
perspicacity and foresight which has always insured his success, Mr. Newland saw its
possibilities and with his neighbors cut a ditch sytem, cleared and improved the land,
and for some time made a very profitable venture in the raising of celery. Later he
engaged extensively in the raising of sugar beets, in one year netting $35,000 from this
crop, and of late years he has devoted quite an acreage to raising lima beans.

Mr. Newland was at one time president of the First National Bank of Huntington
Beach. Always appreciating the necessity and importance of good roads, he has served
on the county highway commission, and it was during his tenure of office that the
county bond issue went through, appropriating the sum of $2,500,000 for 146 miles of
road in Orange County. He is a trustee of the Huntington Beach high school, .i^t
present he is a director and one of the largest stockholders of the Huntington Beach
Linoleum Company. In July, 1916, accompanied by Mrs. Newland, he made a trip to
.\stanchia Valley, N. M., and there bought a tract of 2,500 acres of land..

Mr. and Mrs. Newland are the parents of ten children: Clara is the wife of P. A.
Isenor, a rancher at Talbert; Wilmuth is the wife of Irving Thompon, who lives at El
Toro; Mary Frances resides with her parents; Idelpha is the wife of Colson McConahy,
a broker at Seattle, who served his country in the late war; John D. was in the U. S.
Army and served in Siberia until his discharge; Jessie is the wife of John W. Corbin,
and they reside on Mr. Newland's ranch at Astanchia, N. M.; William T., Jr., married
Miss Hazel Fox and rents a part of the home ranch; Clinton C. married Miss Annie
Hill and also rents a part of the home ranch, he also served during the war in the
Signal Corps; Helen H. and Bernice M. are attending the Huntington Beach high
school. Mr. Newland is prominent in I. O. O. F. circles, having been a member of
that fraternity for many years.

LARS TOBIAS EDWARDSON.— A worthy couple who have done their share
to develop the natural resources of the Placentia section of Orange County are Mr.
and Mrs. L. T. Edwardson, who now live retired from active business cares at their
comfortable home in a beautiful, well-kept Valencia orange grove, highly esteerned
for their enterprise, liberality and kindness of heart. The picturesque west coast ol
Norway was the birthplace of both Mr. and Mrs. Edwardson, Soggendal being their
native town. There on February 14. 1841, Mr. Edwardson was born, and six years
later, on April 1, 1847, was recorded the natal day of Mrs. Edwardson, who in maiden-
hood was Miss Anne Tolena Jacobsdatter. They were both reared and educated in
the neighborhood of their birth and on March 6. 1868, were united in marriage.

Reared to agricultural pursuits, Mr. Edwardson followed farming in his native
land until 1885, when they came to America. They stopped for the summer at
La Crosse Wis., and in the fall of that year came west to California, locating on a
farm in what is now Orange County. Two years later they came to Placentia and
purchased two and a half acres, which they improved and set out to oranges; later
they purchased twenty acres north of Placentia and this is set to walnuts, now bring-




'^^a.^^.X^ Kx^.£^6&U^



HISTORY OF OR.A.NGE COUNTY 857

ing in a splendid income. This place has been leased for oil and one well has already
been sunk on the property. They also own a home at East Newport, where they
frequently go for recreation. Always deeply interested in the progress of the com-
munity, Mr. Edwardson is a member of the Placentia Orange Growers Association
and the Fullerton Walnut Growers Association.

Six living children complete the happy family circle of Mr. and Mrs. Edwardson,
who have journeyed together along life's pathway for more than fifty years. Anna
Bergitte is the wife of John Lemke of Placentia: Carrie is Mrs. John Hetebrink of
Fullerton; Ludvig is a rancher at Placentia; Hanna is Mrs. William Kennedy of
Anaheim; Mary is Mrs. Frost of Boston. Mass.; Jacob is engaged in ranching at
Placentia. The two sons look after the ranches, giving them the best of attention,
and thus relieve their parents of all unnecessary responsibility and care, so that
they can enjoy the reward of their well-spent years. They spend many pleasant days
at their Newport Beach home, where Mr. Edwardson especially enjoys the fishing.
In the spring of 1920 they made an extended tour of three months, traveling east as
far as Boston, where they visited their daughter, Mrs. Frost, returning by way of
Wisconsin, where they visited old friends, and thence through British Columbia,
down to Seattle and home, taking in many points of interest all along the way.

Residents of Orange County for thirty-five years, Mr. and Mrs. Edwardson
can well take pride in the accomplishments of the past years and in the fact that
they have done their part in bringing them about. They have prospered because of
their industry and good management and are today well-to-do and in comfortable
circumstances, which they well deserve. They, in turn, are always ready to aid those
who have been less fortunate and show their hospitality in many ways. Reared in
the Lutheran faith of their forbears, they are still active in its good works; in political
matters they are firm believers in the principles of the Republican party.

PAUL TREYDTE. — Coming to America to seek success, feeling that the oppor-
tunities here were greater than in his native land, Paul Treydte was indeed successful
in reaching his goal, despite the short span of his earthly existence. He was born in
Eisleben, Germany, on August 22, 1879. His boyhood days were spent in the neighbor-
hood of his birthplace and he received his education in the public schools of that
locality where he learned the baker's trade. As the years went by he became desirous
for wider fields than the land of his birth seemed to afford so he accordingly set sail for
America, reaching New York June 26, 1904. For the succeeding two years Mr. Treydte
worked at his trade in and around New York City and at various places along the
Jersey Coast, and it was during that period that he took out his naturalization papers.
Feeling that the Pacific Coast presented a broader scope for his activities, Mr. Treydte
set sail in 1906 with San Francisco as his destination, coming by way of the Isthmus
of Panama, reaching there shortly after the disastrous earthquake of that year. He
first established himself in the baking business in St. Helena, continuing there about
eighteen months, and then going to Roseville, in Placer County. There he established
and operated a bakery with good success for two years and he is still the owner
of the buildings occupied by the bakery and drug store in that city. Seeing the benefits
of a good English education, Mr. Treydte spent much time studying at night and the
diligent effort put forth by him has since been of great service.

After leaving Roseville he engaged in the bakery business in San Francisco, at
141-147 Eddy Street, and from there removed to Whittier, in Los Angeles County and
ran the Whittier bakery for three years, making his manufactured product popular in
Los .\ngeles and Orange counties. In 1916 Mr. Treydte became the owner of sixteen
and a half acres of citrus land at Yorba Lirida and later acquired an additional tract of
nine and a half acres, making twenty-six acres in all, ten acres of the property being in
oranges and sixteen acres in lemons. After oil was struck in the vicinity he leased the
places to the General Petroleum Oil Company, who are now sinking a well on his
place, making the ranch more valuable than ever. Besides his ranch property in Yorlia
Linda, Mr. Treydte owned real estate in Riverbank, Stanislaus County, and at Lynwood,
Los Angeles County.

At St. Helena, Napa County, Mr. Treydte was married on December 24. 1907, to
Miss Emma Kuefifer, a daughter of G. and Margaret (Roming) Kueffer, who migrated
from Falls County, Texas, to Napa County, Cal., in 1895, and located at Calistoga,
where they were engaged in horticulture and viticulture. The father died in 1905. being
survived by his widow, who resided on the old home place until 1919, when she dis-
posed of it and now makes her home at Yorba Linda. Of their three children, Mrs.
Treydte is the youngest and was born in Falls County, Texas; coming to California,
she received a good education in the Calistoga schools. Five children were born to
Mr. and Mrs. Treydte. all of them native sons and daughters of the Golden State:



858 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Paul, Jr., Ella M., George S., Myrtle D., and Raymond. They all attend the school
at Yorba Linda.

A loyal citizen to the land of his adoption, Mr. Treydte was an enthusiastic sup-
porter of all progressive movements in Orange County. He vi'as a member of the
Yorba Linda Citrus Association and the Yorba Linda Water Company. With his family
he was a member of the Lutheran Church in Whittier. A self-made man, he made a
genuine success of all his undertakings after his arrival in this country and in all of
this he gave due credit to his wife, who was a real helpmate to him in all his enter-
prises. Mr. Treydte passed away December 2, 1920, deeply mourned by his family and
friends, who appreciated him for his many virtues.

LEWIS W. BLODGET.— Prominent among the rising young attorneys of the
state, is Lewis W. Blodget of the law firm of Blodget and Blodget of Los Angeles
and Huntington Beach. The family of Blodget is one of the old and honored Puritan
families of Massachusetts and has figured prominently in the history and development
of Massachusetts and America. The first representative of the Blodget family in
America was Thomas Blodget, who with his wife and two sons, came to Massachusetts
Bay Colony in 1635. He was born in England in 1605 and left Suffolk, England, with
his family, sailing from Plymouth on the ship "Increase" in 163S. He died in Cam-
bridge, Mass.. in 1641. The great grandfather of Lewis W., was Arba Blodget, who
was born in Massachusetts in 1789. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and in the
Indian Wars, and died in 1837. His father was Solomon Blodget, a soldier in the
Revolutionary War, who was born in 1756 and died in 1844. Solomon Blodget's grand-
father, Joseph Blodget, fought in the Indian and Colonial War in 1725. On his
father's side, Lewis W. represents the tenth generation in America and on his mother's
side the eleventh generation.

As progeny of the first Blodget, there are now 60,000 Blodgets in the United
States, according to the genealogy of the family from their personal investigation.
William Oren Blodget, the grandfather of Lewis W. was a first lieutenant in the One
Hundred Fifty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War, and fought
at Gettysburg, where he was severely wounded. His whole company was ambushed on
the first day of that battle and seventy-five per cent were annihilated within fifteen
minutes. He lived and died in Sugar Grove, Pa. The father of Lewis W., Spencer
Langdon Blodget. was for thirteen years an honored citizen of Huntington Beach,
where he came to take a position as cashier of the First National Bank in 1906, and
he later became associated with the Holly Sugar factory. He moved to Los Angeles in
September, 1919, and is now office manager of the Los Angeles office of the Motor
\'ehicle Department of the State of California. His first wife, whose maiden name was
Carra M. Belnap, was born in Warren, Pa., and was a descendant of a pioneer Pilgrim
family that also came to America in 1635. She died in 1893, the mother of eight chil-
dren, six of whom are living: Claude Raymond, in the real estate and insurance busi-
ness in Bakersfield, Cal.; Percy Langdon, a mining engineer in Darwin, Cal.; Rush Max-
well, now the city attorney of Venice, was the first city attorney of Huntington Beach;
Marian Bernice, wife of Cash C. Ramsey, oil man at Bakersfield; Ward Belnap, chief
geologist for the Santa Fe Railway; and Lewis William. The four brothers of Lewis
William are all graduates of Leland Stanford University. Spencer L. Blodget was
married a second time, to Miss Florence Langdon of Chautauqua County. N. Y.

Lewis William Blodget was born in Bakersfield November 27, 1893, and lived there
until he was twelve years of age. when he came to Huntington Beach, He was grad-
uated from the Huntington Beach union high school in 1911. and entered the College
of Law of the University of Southern California from which he was graduated in 1915
with the degree of LL.B. He opened a law office in Huntington Beach and when his
brother. Rush M., who was in Arizona at the time, returned to California, the two
brothers opened their law offices in Los Angeles and Huntington Beach. He enlisted
in the Reserve Officers' Training Camp at San Francisco in August, 1917. He was com-
missioned a second lieutenant on November 27. 1917, and first lieutenant August 1,
1918. He served thirteen months with the Thirteenth Infantry Regulars, and was under
overseas orders and ready to sail from Holjoken, N. J., when the armistice was signed.
Later he was assigned to special duty in Washington, D. C. and was honorably dis-
charged January 9, 1919, at Washington. He was elected city attorney while yet in
service and was notified by wire of his election, on the strength of which he secured
his discharge. He lost no time in getting back into practice.

Mr. Blodget was married September 3, 1919. to Miss May M. Ball of Morristown,
N. J. He is a member of the Delta Chi (legal) Fraternity of the University of South-
ern California Chapter; Sons of the American Revolution; is a Mason, being senior



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 861

warden of Huntington Beach Lodge No. 380. F. & A. M.; and is commander of the
Joseph Rodman Post, American Legion, at Huntington Beach. He is a member of the
Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Orange County Bar .Association and the
City .Attorneys' Association of Southern California. He is a member of the Republican
Central Committee of Orange County. Both Mr. and Mrs. Blodget are popular with
a wide circle of friends and take an active part in social afi[airs.

HARRY E. ZAISER, M. D.— Orange County takes pride in its County Hospital,
and looks with confidence and satisfaction upon the daily responsible and trying
work of the well-trained officials in charge. A leader among these is naturally Dr.
Harry E. Zaiser, the physician selected to superintend the institution, upon whose
e-xperience. foresight and common sense judgment, as well as sympathy and tact, so
much depends. A Hawkeye by birth, he first saw the light at Burlington in December
16, 1880, the son of John and Margaret Zaiser, the former since deceased, while the
mother is living at the fine old age of eighty. There were nine children in the family,
and Harry was the youngest of them all.

Having attended the grammar school, he was graduated in 1897 from the Bur-
lington high school, and then began a clerkship of two years in the iron mill in that
city. -After that he took a business college course, and was employed as clerk in a
wholesale office until 1898, when he went to St. Louis to study medicine. He matricu-
lated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, studied there for four years, and
was graduated in 1902. At the conclusion of his strenuous work in Missouri, he
went abroad for post-graduate work, and then practiced in Burlington until 1909.

Removing to California, Dr. Zaiser settled in Orange County and established
a practice at Santa Ana, which he continued until he was appointed to his present
position in 1914. His record as county physician in Burlington, Iowa, doubtless had
much to do with his being selected for one of the important posts of its kind in
California. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the Orange County
Medical Association and of the Southern California Medical Society. In national
politics a Republican, Dr. Zaiser adheres to party politics in local afifairs only when
they promote and do not hinder nor defeat the important goal to be attained.

Dr. Zaiser was married at Burlington, in 1909, to Miss Ida Thompson, a native
of that city and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Ihrer. They attend the First
Methodist Church. Since he has taken charge of the work. Dr. Zaiser has done
much to bring the County Hospital to the front, and while regarding his own part
in a very modest light, he is naturally proud of the good that has been accomplished
there. Not only are the sick cared for to the best of human ability and with every
scientific aid, but the poor proven indigent are also received, and enjoy equal
care. Thus the good name of Orange County, that has poured out so lavishly to
those in distress, is protected and enhanced by these faithful public servants. Dr.
Zaiser and his excellent stafif.



EVAN DAVIS. — -An admirable man who left behind him both a blessed memory
and an equally admirable woman, for years his devoted wife, was Evan Davis, who
first came to Orange towards the middle nineties. He was born at Edgerton. Wis., on
January 24, 1858. the son of Percival Ferdinand Davis, a native of Western New York,
who settled in Wisconsin in early days, and was a merchant at Edgerton. Evan was
reared in Edgerton, where he attended the public schools. He completed his studies
at Milton College and then engaged in manufacturing at Milton, Wis., making a punch
and die machine. After a while he engaged in real estate and fire insurance at the
same place, and at Emerald Grove, on December 12, 1883, married Miss Ida E. Ransom,
a native of that place and the daughter of Asa G. Ransom, who was born in Middle-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 96 of 191)