Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 99 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 99 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sons, George H., William W. and Louis J.

These three brothers live on their respective ranches two and a half miles east
of Huntington Beach, each owning sixty acres of the original John B. Bushard estate.
The land, which is in a very fertile district near the ocean, is devoted to the growing,
principally, of lima beans and sugar beets, and also celery. Once it was covered with
willows and tules, and was very marshy; but the elder Bushard, with the aid of his
sons and good neighbors, W. D. Lamb, W. T. Newland and Casper Borchard, all early
settlers, drained the morass, transformed the "Swamp" into one of the most productive
and attractive parts of the county, and laid out the Talbert Road.

William W. Bushard resides on the old John B. Bushard home place, which he
has brought to a high state of cultivation, assisted by his devoted wife, who was Miss
Addie J. McGowan before her marriage. She was a native of Te.xas. and a daughter
of the John McGowan so well known in that state, where he was a doughty county
sherifif. Mr. and Mrs. Bushard have one child, William Winfred, Jr.

FERN S. BISHOP. — Noteworthy among the prominent contractors and builders
of Orange County is the name of Fern S. Bishop, who has the distinction of erecting
and equipping more walnut packing plants than any man in the state. Although a
native of Story County, Iowa, where he was born January 5, 1876, he has been a resi-
dent of Orange County since the age of five years. His parents were .\mos D. and
Anna (Knight) Bishop, natives of Michigan and Vermont, respectively. His father is
still living, his mother having passed away in 1905. The family migrated from Iowa
to Santa .\na in 1881.

Fern S. Bishop received his early education in the public schools of Orange and
while quite young started to assist his father on the home ranch. Later he learned the
trade of a carpenter with C. McNeil of Santa Ana, with whom he remained for five
years. Mr. Bishop is a natural mechanic, and his ingenuity has led to many clever
inventions now used in the walnut packing industry, among which is a labor-saving
device used in packing walnuts; he also invented and patented a vacuum culling machine
which eliminates the light weight nuts, or culls, through a blower system under high
pressure of air; also he has invented an all concrete walnut bleacher or washer. His
aim has been to invent such machines to be used in walnut packing houses that will
increase the capacity of a plant and lessen the expense. Another machine invented and
patented by Mr. Bishop is known as the cleaning machine for mouldy walnut meats and
all of his machines have been demonstrated a marked success. Mr. Bishop is con-
sidered an expert on matters pertaining to the packing of walnuts and is frequently
called into consultation when important questions are to be considered. While in the
employ of Mr. McNeil he was foreman of construction on the packing plant of the
Santa .\na Walnut Growers Association.

In September, 1914, Mr. Bishop entered the building and contracting business for
himself and has erected and equipped the following packing houses: the Guggenhime
packing house and the Gowen and Willard packing house of Santa .\na; the Anaheim
Walnut Growers .\ssociation packing house; the FuUerton Walnut packing house; the
Golden Belt house of FuUerton (now the Benchley Packing Company); the Walnut
packing house at Walnut. In Ventura County Mr. Bishop built and equipped the
Saticoy packing house and reequipped the Santa Paula plant. At Whittier, Los ."Angeles
County, he built and equipped the Whittier Walnut Growers .Association house. It
has a daily capacity of sixty tons. He also has to his credit the erecting and equipping
of the packing houses at Irvine, at San Juan Capistrano, the Cudahy plant at Hunting-
ton Park and the Chino Walnut house. In 1920 he completed the packing house for
the La Puente Valley Walnut Growers .\ssociation, the largest house of the kind in
the world, with a capacity of 150 tons in ten hours, and it is the consensus of opinion
that it is the most modern house for packing walnuts now in use, being fully equipped
with machinery and appliances invented and patented by Mr. Bishop. He is now build-
ing a plant for the California Walnut Growers at \'ernon for the manufacture of char-



882 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

coal from walnut shells. In addition to these buildings. Mr. Bishop has erected many
tine residences in Orange County, among which we mention those of John W. Hete-
brink, Fullerton; E. A. Bastian, Placentia; Mrs. C. W. Curry and Ray Bishop, in
Santa Ana.

In Santa Ana, on December 12, 1894, Mr. Bishop married Miss Nellie Deck, who
was born at Upper Alton, 111., a daughter of J. H. and Lavina (Short) Deck, who were
natives of that state. Her father served in the Civil War as a member of an Illinois
regiment. The Deck family came to California in 1882, locating at San Pedro, but soon
afterward moved to Santa Ana, where they improved a ranch and where Mr. Deck
still resides. His wife died here in March, 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Bishop are the parents
of two children: Clara, who is the wife of H. C. Hibbard of Santa Ana and the mother
of one son: Harold Bishop married Miss Lela West, and they are the parents of one
daughter. Harold Bishop is associated with his father in business, being his foreman
of construction. The successful career of Fern S. Bishop is a striking example of
what energy and resourcefulness, wisely directed, and centered on a definite goal, can
accomplish.

MRS. IDA J. HUGHES. — A most estimable woman of high ideals, pleasing per-
sonality and an interesting conversationalist is Mrs. Ida J. Hughes, the widow of the
late M. F. Hughes, .a progressive rancher who passed away in September, 1918. Mrs.
Hughes was born in 1856 in what was then the Territory of Kansas. She is the daughter
of Jehu and Sarah H. Wilson, natives of Ohio and North Carolina, respectively. Mrs.
Hughes was reared and educated in Kansas and attended the University of Kansas,
after which she conducted a millinery business for three years in Lawrence. Kansas.

On January 4, 1882, she was united in marriage with M. F. Hughes, a native of
Missouri, born in 1854, where he was reared and educated. He followed farming
throughout his life, and although always a busy farmer he never neglected his duties to
the state and nation, but always manifested the deepest interest in political matters,
in which he was an ardent supporter of the Republican party.

On December 1, 1911, Mr. and Mrs. Hughes located on their ranch in Orange
County, Cal. At that time the land was in a poor and unproductive condition and
the buildings were small, but with his usual enterprising spirit Mr. Hughes began to
improve and develop the place. He installed a splendid water system by sinking a
well to the depth of 315 feet, securing thereby sufficient water to irrigate 100 acres;
he also built a modern seven-room residence. Today the ranch is in a high state of
cultivation and is chiefly devoted to raising oranges, although some walnuts and lemons
are produced.

Mr. and Mrs. Hughes were the parents of three sons: Elmer J., the superin-
tendent of a large ranch near Seal Beach, married Miss Delia Mulvihill, and they have
a son, Paul V.; Charles F., also a rancher, married Miss Melba K. Allen; Everett V.
married Miss Catherine Reynen, and they are the parents of two children, Joseph E.
and Elizabeth A. Mrs. Hughes is affiliated with the Friends Church and the entire
family are greatly esteemed in the community.

MISS BLANCHE L. DOLPH.— A talented, public-spirited and generous lady,
who feels a fond interest for California, for here she regained her health, is Miss
Blanche L. Dolph, whose musical tastes and gifts have contributed toward the happi-
ness of others, and whose fortunate investments since she came here have enabled
her to assist others in their difficulties or distress. Miss Dolph was born at Scranton.
Pa., the daughter of Edward Dolph, one of an early French-American family, whose
name was originally De Wolf, later contracted to Dolph. His father was Alexander
Dolph, a farmer near Scranton. Becoming a coal operator at Scranton, Edward Dolph
became well posted on coal formation and thus discovered the outcropping on his
father's farm, which proved to be a rich vein of coal, which has been and is a source
of wealth to the family. In time, therefore, Mr. Dolph became a large and influential
coal operator in Scranton, and there, too, in earlier days he had married Miss Elizabeth
Wadhams, descended from an old English family. They had five children, two sons
and three daughters, and the youngest, Edward S., is manager of the Dolph's interests
at Scranton. Lewis Cass was the oldest son and third child of the family, and he died
when he was twelve years old. The eldest born is Miss Florence Dolph, who resides
at 2021 Ocean View Avenue, Los Angeles. Another sister, Mrs. Josette N. Robertson,
lives at Scranton. Mrs. Dolph outlived her husband eight years and died in 1898 at
Scranton. Senator Dolph of Oregon is a relative.

Miss Dolph attended the common schools of Scranton and later the University
at Lewisburg. Having a natural talent and love for music she studied the violin,
cornet and piano, and came to be in much demand, especially for churches and societies.




"^^X^^c^/LCL Jd^£^cC J^cr\dL



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 885

which she was always glad to help, and she also frequently favored communities of
other cities in that region. Thirty-four years ago, on her first visit to California, in
1886, she first saw the neighborhood of San Juan-by-the-Sea, where she now resides.
She had traveled extensively throughout the United States and Europe as well as the
Orient, and her experienced eye enabled her to pick the site of her home on account
of its beautiful view and natural beauty, commanding as it does a view of the broad
Pacific as well as the beautiful San Juan Valley, while in the background are the Tem-
escal Mountains in their grandeur. She still held, until two years ago, the old home
at Scranton, but six years ago she built her beautiful mansion near Serra or old San
Juan-by-the-Sea, one of the most picturesque mountain homes by the ocean in all
California. Then she wisely invested in ranch land near San Juan Capistrano, and
while she gives it the proper oversight, her main interests in life are humanitarian and
charitable. Miss Dolph is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and she participated
in Red Cross and other war activities. She has crossed the Continent sixty times, and
on her trips in 1902 and 1908 crossed via the Isthmus of Panama. Her friend and
companion. Miss Lucella McGaughey, who was pastor's assistant at the Second Pres-
byterian Church at Scranton for eighteen years, a well-posted Bible student, has joined
her in some of these transcontinental trips, and in 1917 they motored the entire dis-
tance from New York City to their home at San Juan-by-the-Sea. She has had other
places constructed for her, and among them a pretty residence at Arch Beach, nine
miles north from San Juan Capistrano, along the coast.

Aside from her musical ability Miss Dolph also displays much talent as an artist
and has a large circle of friends among the colony of artists who make their home
part of the time in Southern California. Thus her rooms are replete with beautiful
paintings from the hands of some of the best-known modern painters. Of a pleasing
personality and hospitable nature it is indeed a pleasure to know and share Miss Dolph's
friendship.

MRS. LAURA REED FORD.— .\ distinguished resident of East Villa Park is
Mrs. Laura Reed Ford, the widow of John Critenton Ford, whose handsome residence is
one of the attractions of Park Road. She is a native daughter, born near Downey, Cal.,
the daughter of Robb R. and Antonia (Troll) Reed. Her father came from Pennsyl-
vania to California in pioneer days, while her mother crossed the plains in an ox-team
train with her father in 1849 to San Francisco. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Reed
came to San Luis Obispo, then to Downey and later still tc Julian, San Diego County,
where they were engaged in merchandising until their death. Mrs. Ford is the second
oldest of three children born of this union. John Critenton Ford was born at Benton,
Franklin County. 111., on November 7, 1861, the son of John P. and Louise (Young)
Ford, old settlers of Illinois. Jno. P. Ford, who came to California in 1885, was a pros-
perous farmer, with a splendid tract of 160 acres in Illinois, and very expert in the
raising of corn, cattle and hogs. John Critenton attended both the grammar and the
high schools at Benton, 111., and lived on his father's farm until 1881, when he and his
brother Theodore pushed west to California and settled at Santa Ana. John Critenton
joined another brother, George W. Ford, and went into the nursery business. After a
while, John Critenton moved to the Julian Mountains in San Diego County and went
into the nursery and apple industry for himself.

Mr. and Mrs. R. R. Reed moved to Julian when Laura Reed was a child, and there
she attended the grammar school. There, also, she met Mr. Ford, and they were mar-
ried on May 11, 1892. Thereafter for eight years they lived in Julian, at which place
Mr. Ford continued to develop his well-known nursery.

In 1900. however, Mr. Ford sold out and removed to a place northeast of Garden
Grove, where he spent a year in raising beets. Then he moved onto a dairy farm on
Fifth Street, in Santa .Ana, and two years were spent in dairying on a ranch of fifteen
acres. In 1903, another change was made, and the family moved to Edinger Street, south
of Santa Ana. where Mr. Ford rented a ranch of 125 acres. He put in grain, and had a
dairy. In the four years that he was there, he kept twenty-four head of cattle and
seven head of horses.

In 1907 he sold out and bought the present Ford homesite on Park Road, in East
Villa Park. It co'mprises about eight and a half acres, one-third of which is set out to
Valencias and two-thirds to lemons. It is watered by the John T. Carpenter Water Com-
pany, in which the Fords have twenty-three shares. Under Mr. Ford's skillful hand, this
place was being nicely developed, when, on October 8, 1914, he was called upon to lay
aside the cares and responsibilities of earthly life. Mr. Ford took an active part in the
work of the Villa Park Congregational Church: and in this commendable work the
esteemed widow and her familv continue a live interest.



886 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Two sons and two daughters are a comfort and pride to Mrs. Ford. Homer F. is
living on the old homesite, and is married to Ruby L. Kreschal.* George C. Ford is an
electrician and machinist, who lives at Orange and is married to Alma Ziesnig of Illinois.
Annie L. is a graduate of the Orange high school; and Myrtle May is also a student
there. Both daughters are interested in the study of the piano, playing well, and Myrtle
also plays the cornet in the high school band, an organization of sixty pieces. Both
sons belong to the Orange Lodge of Redmen. Mrs. Ford is a member of the Central
Lemon Association of Villa Park and the Villa Park Orange Association.

Since Mr. Ford's death Mrs. Ford, with the aid of her children, has continued to
care for and develop the ranch according to the plans which they had laid out, and it is
now a full-bearing orchard. On March 23, 1918, she met a severe loss, her home being
destroyed by lire. She immediately rebuilt, erecting a modern bungalow, as stated
above, the pride of the community, and attracting the attention of the passers-by. Mr.
Ford always insisted on giving much of the credit of bringing their ranch to such a high
state of development to Mrs. Ford, for by her assistance and help, not only in the home,
encouraging him in his ambitions, but also in the starting of the orchard she worked by
his side in the care of the trees, whether in cultivating, irrigating or pruning of the
same. The citizens of Orange County can be proud to have a native daughter of Mrs.
Ford's capability, energy and progressive ideas as one of its citizens and boosters.

JOSEPH YOCH. — Recognized as one of the leaders in all forward movements
of the organization and early upbuilding of Orange County. Joseph Yoch is living
practically retired from active business cares. He was born May 17, 1844, near Berlin,
Germany, from which country his parents set sail to America in 1847. His father was
a stonemason by trade and a contractor after landing in the United States. He was
also engaged in agricultural pursuits which soon occupied all of the time of father
and sons. The mother was Katharine Glorius before her marriage, and she became the
mother of John. Joseph and Bernard. When the family left Germany, they brought
with them all of their household belongings as well as their wagon and farming imple-
ments and seeds. They landed at New Orleans and from there took a river boat up
the Mississippi River to St. Louis, Mo. For ten years the family farmed and then the
father sold out and engaged in coal mining, and so successful was he that he established
one of the largest individually owned fields in the coal region. His wife died in 1863,
and he lived until 1885, dying at Belleville, 111.

From the age of nineteen, Joseph Yoch controlled the business, allowing his
father to retire. Under the firm name of Joseph Yoch and Brothers the three sons
worked and were prosperous. While Joseph was the chief executive of the company,
he ascribes its great success to the invention by his brother Bernard of the road engine,
known as the B. Yoch engine, which is self-propelling. Joseph Yoch handled over
three and one-half million bushels of coal annually. On the line of the Indianapolis and
St. Louis Railway, near Litchfield, he had a coal field of 400 acres. The firm also had
coal mines on the Louisville and Nashville Railway, on the Southern Illinois, and in the
various counties and employed 300 to 400 men in the operation of their fifteen mines.
One of the many interests built up by this company was the building of a transfer boat
for the purpose of transporting coal from the east to the west side of the Mississippi
River. This ferry attracted the notice of the Jay Gould interests that in 1886 bought
out the company of Joseph Yoch and Bros., together with the Consolidated Coal
Company, in which Joseph Yoch was prominent, and which controlled the output of
coal in the zone for fifty miles about St. Louis. After the Jay Gould syndicate pur-
chased these coal properties, they' offered Joseph Yoch a position, but he remained
only one month to help the new managers to become acquainted with this field.

In 1886, after disposing of his interests in the Illinois coal business, Mr. Yoch
made a trip to California, returning with his family in 1887 to Santa Ana, where he
purchased the present home place at 1012 North Main Street. He had become finan-
cially interested in the Black Star Coal Mine of Santiago Canyon in 1887. Later he
invested in other mining property in the Santiago, and for a number of years worked
these two mines. The Black Star, however, has been inactive for more than twenty
years. In 1889, Mr. Yoch established a brick yard in Santa Ana. In 1895 he became
interested in ranching at EI Monte, Los Angeles County, and sunk the first successful
irrigating well in that vicinity; this property was disposed of some time ago and it
is now owned by J. S. Killian.

The Laguna Beach territory claimed Mr. Yoch's attention in 1895, when he bought
the hotel and store. Soon after he was appointed postmaster, which office he held
for ten years. Besides a large amount of real estate in the town of Laguna Beach,
which is under lease, Mr. Yoch also owns a fine ranch of 1,000 acres in Laguna Canyon,
some of which is now leased for oil. It is due to his enterprise that this section had its




p^M^^Z/^^z^^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 891

early water supply and its first telephone line, which Mr. James Irvine generously
allowed Mr. Yoch to construct over ten miles of the Irvine ranch.

On May 14. 1878, Mr. Yoch was united in marriage with Catharine Isch, whose
parents were natives of Lorraine, France. Her mother's family the Pfeiffers, came to
America from France in 1825, and were pioneers of Illinois. John Nicholas Isch, her
father, was a soldier of France in 1836, and on coming to Ameria, in 1840, located iii
St. Clair County, 111. There were then a number of Indians in the vicinity and he
established friendly relations with them, which always continued. Mrs. Yoch received
her education in the public schools of that neighborhood, with a two years' course at
the State Normal School at Normal, 111., afterwards teaching at the school at Center-
ville, which she had attended in her girlhood. Mr. and Mrs. Yoch are the parents of
six children: Josephine is a teacher of languages in the Los Angeles high school:
Bertha is the wife of Thomas Doyle, a stockraiser at Phoenix, Ariz., and they have six
children: Elizabeth is the wife of Captain Theodore Lewton, chief engineer of the Coast
Guard, U. S. N., and they have two children: Caroline is the wife of Redmond Barnett
of New York, and they have three children; Agnes is the wife of Eliot West, the owner
of a large confectionery manufacturing company at Norfolk, Va.; Florence, a graduate
of the University of Illinois, resides in Los Angeles, and is a landscape architect of
national fame.

Joseph Yoch was twice on the Santa Ana Board of Trustees, and was a supervisor
for one term, during which term was built the first bridge across the river on Fifth
Street, and the term when the present court house was located, serving as chairman
during the entire period. In politics he has always been a Democrat both "in and out
of season," but in local affairs adopts the wise measure of supporting the best men
regardless of party lines. Mr. Yoch was a director of the First National Bank of
Santa Ana for twenty years, and also its vice-president. In his character he is kind
and has always scorned to speak ill of any person he knew. He is one who has devoted
himself generously in public service to the land of his adoption.

RANCHO CAriON DE SANTA ANA.— One among the few remaining large
ranches in Orange County, is Rancho Canon de Santa Ana, well watered by the Santa
Ana River flowing through, and it is equally well served by the Santa Fe Railway, on its
route from San Bernardino to San Diego. There is a switch and signal station on the
ranch known as Gypsum from which the products of the farm are despatched, and
where the home imports arrive. There is also a station named Horseshoe Bend. The
farm is at the extreme eastern end of the Yorba precinct, in the northeastern part of
Orange County. Its manager is Mrs. S. B. Bryant, of Los Angeles — whose maiden
name was Bixby, explaining that the place was formerly known as one of the Bixby
ranches, the property of John Bixby, now deceased, at present owned by his two chil-
dren, Mrs. S. B. Bryant and Fred Bixby. "It still comprises 6,000 acres, beautifully
located in the caiion of the Santa Ana River, and running clear up to the mountains,
forming the boundary line between Orange and Riverside counties.

The principal product of the rancho is citrus fruit, of which there are 140 acres
in all, sixty-three acres being given up to Valencia oranges, thirty acres to Navels,
and forty-seven acres to lemons. The trees are, for the most part, seven years old,
and are just coming into profitable bearing. There are, besides, forty-five acres in
pears. During the season of 1919 a carload of Bartletts was shipped from this ranch,
bringing eighty-five dollars a ton. The ranch has also sixty acres of budded walnuts.
There are twenty acres of alfalfa, partly for ranch use and partly for sale: and 200
acres of barley for hay, and sixty acres of black-eye beans. There is a great deal of
pasture land. Forty-five head of horses and four mules are used for the work of the
farm, and a Sampson sieve-grip tractor is employed for plowing and cultivating. From
fifteen to twenty men are also employed on an average, and since January, 1916, Ernest
R. Johnson, superintendent, has had charge of these interests.

ARTHUR FRANK WALKER.— As an example of what may be accomplished
by persistent energy, the life of .\. F. Walker, known to a host of friends as Frank
Walker, presents lessons of encouragement to young men starting out for themselves
without the aid of means or influence, for starting without money, he is now the owner
of 160 acres of choice land in the Bolsa district. Born in Santa Barbara County.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 99 of 191)