Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 13 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 13 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook



The receipts annually are enough to pay all current expenses
and sufficient left to pay the stockholders a handsome divi-

[ From the Pioneer, November, 1SS6.] ,

The stockholders of the Boone County Stock Agricultural
Society met in annual session in the Circuit Court room on
Saturday last. The meeting was called to order by President
J. M. Ball, when, on motion of S. L. Cason, John Higgins
was elected chairman. Treasurer B. F. Coombs submitted
the following report of receipts and exjjenditures for the year


Received from former treasurer $188 04

Gate money 3,505 99

Stands and shows 556 30

Stall rent 215 50

Amphitheater 133 60

Entry fees 30 00

Insurance on old floral hall 295 50

Proceeds of note 600 00

Rents by John Adair 13 10

Total $5,536 76


Premiums and expenses $5,275 03

Balance on hand 261 73

Total §5,536 76

Secretary John "W. Ivise submitted a report of the money
passing through his hands, as follows :


May 1,1886. Cash from treasurer $10 00

Aug. 2,1886. Cash from treasurer 8 fO

Aug.19,1886. Cash received at fair 30 00

Total $48 00



Postage, wrappers, etc $11 21

Advertising 10 25

Draying 75

Cash paid treasurer 30 00

Total $52 21

Balance due secretary 3 71

The secretary submitted verbal report of insurance now on
the society's buildings, and the president made report of pur-
chase of grounds, improvements, etc.

The certificate of the secretary of the State Board of Agri-
culture was submitted, showing that our society had been
properly represented at the annual meeting of that board,
and that the secretary had made all necessary reports to the
state board. This concluded the forenoon session.

At 1 p. ii. the society convened and proceeded to the elec-
tion of officers and directors, as follows :


John M. Ball, president. E. G. Darnall, secretary.

Riley Colgrove, vice-president. T. R. Cobb, superintendent.

S. Jj. Cason, treasurer.


C. C. Padgett, Marion. W. H. Dooley, Union.

William Brenton, Clinton. Jacob Jones, Eagle.

John Higgins, Washington. John B. Witt, Perry.

Joseph A. Campbell, Sugar Creek. S. L. Lane, Harrison.

W. B. Taylor, Jefferson. R. C. McCann, Jackson.

S. S. Heath and Jas. Nealis, Center. Benjamin Booher, Worth.

The society voted that the Executive Committee be selected
by the board of directors.

The railroad fare of John Higgins to attend the meeting
of the State Board of Agriculture wai ordered paid by the
society. On motion, the directors were authorized to appoint
the committee on revision of premium list for 1887, after
which the stockholders' meeting adjourned.

^50 eakly life and times ix

directors' meeting.

The board of directors-elect met immediately upon the
adjournment of .the .stockholders' meeting, and, on motion,
appointed the following committee on revision of premium
list: J. M. Ball, John Higgins, James Nealis and E. C.
McCann. The board selected as an exei^utive committee,
Benjamin Booher. William Brenton and S. S. Heath."


Somewhere in the Bible we find : " The poor ye always
have with you." This was true then, it is true now, and will
doubtless continue to the end of time. Since this is a settled
fact, how important it is that there has been for yeai'S an asy-
lum forthe poorand indigent throughout our country. Boone
County has not been behind other parts of the state in mak-
ing a move in this direction, for as early as 1854 a move was
made in selecting a piece of ground one and one-half miles
southeast of Lebanon, and soon thereafter built suitable and
commodious buildino;s thereon for the accommodation and care
of this unfortunate class of people. And at this writing
( 1887) the county has as well ordered a home for the poor as
her sister counties. The farm is now in charge of W. H.
Shoemaker, and has been for several years, to the general sat-
isfacti.' n of the people of the county. Previous to Mr. Shoe-
make; taking the farm, it was in charge of Washington
Howaid. There are at this writing, 1886, about sixty inmates.


The Probate Court was first held at the house of David

'Hoover, November 4, 1830. It was held there until 1833,

when it was held at the house of A. H. Longly, at Lebanon.

The following p<;r.sons have served as judges: Wm. Rodman,

Cornelius Westfall, Samuel McLean, Joseph S. Backels, Wm.


McDaniel; J. H. Rose and James A. Thompson. lu 1852
the court was abolished.

THE com:mon pleas court

Was organized in 1852. The following have served as
judges: L. C. Daugherty, John Coburn. Chas. A. Ray, Solo-
mon Blair, Thos. J. Cason and T. H. Palmer, who
held the office uutil 1873, when the court was abolished
and all the business transferred to the Circuit Court. The fol-
lowing attorneys have practiced as prosecutors before this
court from 1852 to 1873: A. V. Austin, Michael D. ^yhite,
Henry Shannon, O. S. Hamilton, C. C. Galvin, D. H. Hamil-
ton, John Morgan, John C. Budkin, W. W. "Wollen, Samuel
W. Doyle, James V. Kent, G. H. Goodwin. Some of the
above were non-residents of the county, at which time Boone
was attached to other adjoining counties for judicial purposes.


The first term was held at the house of John Galvin, in
Jamestown, April 19, 1832. The next term was held at the
house of Cornelius AVestfall, in Thorntown, October, 1832.
In 1833 it was held at the house of A. H. Longly, in Lebanon,
and in 1834 it was held in the log court house. The follow-
ing have served as judges of the Circuit Court:. B. F. Mor-
ris, W. ^y. Wick, F. M. Finch, W. J. Peasly, Isaac Xaylor,
W. P. Bryant, John M. Cowan, Thos. F. Davidson, T. H.
Palmer and Thos. J. Terhune. The following have served as
associate judges until 1852, when that office was discontinued:
AVm. Kenworthy, Samuel Cason, Jacob Johns, Samuel Dooley
and Nash L. Pitzer.



The followiug persons have served in the state senate :
Lewis Jesup, Hamilton, Clinton and Boone; Lewis Masters,
Hamilton, Clinton and Boone ; Biekwell Cole, who resided in
Hamilton County and represented that county and Boone
jointly; Jacob Angle represented Hamilton and Boone coun-
ties, Mark A. Duzan resided in Boone, represented Boone and
Hamilton counties, W. AV. Conner, of Hamilton County, rep-
resented Boone, Hamilton and Tipton counties, W. Garver
represented Boone, Hamilton and Tipton counties, Xewton
Jackson represented Boone, Hamilton and Tipton counties,
John Green represented Boone, Hamilton and Tipton coun-
ties, Solomon Blair resided in Hendricks County and repre-
sented Hendricks and Boone counties, Thos. J. Cason repre-
sented Hendricks and Boone counties, Thos. M. Hamilton
represented Boone and Clinton counties, A. J. Boone resided
in Boone County and represented Boone and Clinton counties,
Jas. V. Kent resided in Clinton County and represented
Boone and Clinton counties, H. M. Marvin also represented
Boone and Clinton counties, D. C. Bryant resided in Clinton
County and represented Boone and Clinton counties.


The following persons have served as sheriffs: Austin
Davenport, Jacob Tipton, Wra. Zion, John S. Forsythe, Sam- "^
uel Daily, Fielding Utterback, Wm. Staton, John Hazlette,
A. W. Larimore, J. H. Rodman, Riley Colgrove, John Ken-
worthy, L. B. Edwards, Wm. R. Simpkins, R. S. Camplin,
Edward Reynolds, J. H. Spahr, M. C. Moore, I. T. Davis,
Jacob S. Cobb and X. C. Titus, elected November, 18S6.



The following persons have served as recorders : James
McCann, Thos. P. Miller, Sauford Peters, John Thomas, F.
M. Davis, John W. Kise, Wm. F. Morgan, Sidney Pitzer,
Reese Garrett, D. W. Campbell, and F. M. Moody, elected
November, 1886.


The following persons have served as County Snrveyors :
Wm. Doolin, A. H. Longley, Jos. E. Hooker, H. Lapham, J.
M. Burns, Jas. Mulligan, Henry Taylor, ^ym. E. Ensminger,
Gaines Brock, T. W. Huckstep, C. F. S. Neal, M. F. Orear,
and A. K. Warren, elected November, 1886.


The following have served as County Treasurers: J. T.
McLaughlin, John G. Nesbit, John C. Daily, A. H. Shepperd,
David Kenworthy, F. M. Busby, John H. Dooly, S. S. Daily,
W. D. Hudson, Geo. Norwood, Geo. Essex, Eli Smith, and
J. H. Harrison, elected November, 1886. Prior to 1842 the
sheriff' collected the tax, hence no treasurer is reported. Be-
fore that time "coon skins" were legal tender.


The following have served as County Coroners : George
Walker, R. Beard, Henry Deever, Michael \yitt., J. R. Law-
rence, Wm. McLean, Adam Hendricks, Jas. Jackson, M. F.
Jones, Geo. Coombs, Milroy Lane, Henry Hicks, J. A. Thomp-
son, J. M. Adkius, Ratliff Baird, R. A. Williamson, E. W.
Hilligoss, J. L. Garrison, Dr. Coons, and Thos. E. Bounel,
elected November, 1886.



The following have served as County Clerks : David
Hoover, S. S. Brown, John Crisraan, Levi Lane, W. C. Kise,
S. A. Lee, A. O. Miller, Jesse Neff, L. M. Cox, George Hau-
ser, Israel Curry, and Dr. Jesse Reagan, elected November,
1886, who has not yet taken his office (1887).


The following have served as County Auditors: A. G.
Boone, S. A. Gilmore, Jas. A. Nunn, Jos. B. Pitzer, A. C.
Daily, R. W. Matthews, John M. Ball, J. W. Hedges, T. B.
AVillianjson, and J. H. Perkins, elected November, 1886. At
this writing Mr. Perkins has not taken his office.


Austin Davenport, Robert Haman, represented Boone and
Hamilton counties; A. H. Longly, Jos. E. Hocker, J. H.
Nelson, John Crisraan, J. H'. Rose, Benj. Boone, John Duzan,
H. G. Hazlerigg, Stephen Neal, Hiram Blackstone, L. C.
Daugherty, Henry M. Marvin, Wm. Staton, W. B. Beach, W.
P. Jones, V. M. Goodwin, N. Landers, Ed. D. Herod, Clark
Devol, O. S. Hamilton, Nelson Fordice, T. J. Cason, Sherman
Hostetter, F. M. Stringer, J. F. Burns, who represented
Boone and Hendricks; A. E. Goodwin, B. F. Thomas, of
Hendricks, represented Boone also ; John Higgins represented
Boone and Clinton counties; W. J. Devol, C. S. Wesner,
M. L. Martin, John Chowner, Jos. Davis, H. D. Sterrett, Jas.
B. Dab, and Jas. H. Kelly, elected November, 1886.


The following have served as County Commissioners:
Frederick Lowe, J. M. Hurt, Jas. Van Eaton, ^Stephen Crane,
tV^. M. Buroughs, Noah Chiiwood, Wm. Thompson, Solomon


Beck, Wm. Staton, J. A. Potts, F. C. Galspie, Samuel H.
Schenck, Stephen Gapen, Levi Lane, Manson Head, I. L.
Hickerson, A. Robinson, Geo. E. Conrad, Wm. Stephenson,
Nathan Perrill, Jesse Jackson, Jas. Coombs, G. W. Campbell,
Wm. Curry, Geo. Shomaker, W. C. Smith, W. C. Crump, B.
C. Booher, Jas. L. Taylor, and Jacob S. Miller.


The following have practiced at the Boone County Bar as
Prosecuting Attorneys from first to the present time. During
part of the time the county has been connected with several
other counties, and only a portion of the following ever lived
in the county ; but for the past few years Boone has been a
district of itstdf, and the prosecutors have been residents of
the county : Milton Gregg, William Herod, William Quarles,
Joseph E. Hocker, W^illiam J. Prisley, Hugh O'Neal, W. J.
Brown, A. A. Hammond, Josiah Mattock, W. B. Beach, J.
Lander, A. J. Boone, William Wallace, D. S. Gooding, Isaac
Naylor, D. W^. Yorhees, O. S. Hamilton, Henry Shannon, T.
N. Rice, R. W. Harrison, Samuel F. V/ood, B. F. Pierce, G.
H. Goodwin, AY. B. Wall.^, Henry C. Wills, Wm. R. Moore,
Frank Charlton, Bart. S. FL'ggins, C. M. Winecup, elected-
November, 1886; has not at this writing taken his office ('87).


The first court house built in Lebanon was a hewed log
structure. It stood immediately north of the public square
and just west of the jail. It was built in 1835.

The second one was of brick, built the year 1839 or 1840.
It stood where the present house now stands. It was a tvv'o-
story structure and served well its day, when it was taken down
in 1855, as it was not considered safe longer to occupy it. It
cost some four thousand dollars. After it was taken down.


the records were taken to a building on the northwest corner
of Main and Lebanon streets, where they were mostly destroyed
by fire November 26, 1856. In the meantime the present
house was commenced in 1855 and finished 1857. It is yet
standing and speaks for itself. It cost near forty thousand
dollars, and for the time and will be for years ample for the
county business. The next one we Avill let some one else write
about in the " sweet by and by."




The following is a list of resident lawyers at Lebanon from
the year 1843 to 1852 : Jacob Angle, Joseph E. Hooker, Silas
Wright, A. J. Boone, Stephen Neal, T. J. Cason, J. C. Hague,
L. C. Dougherty and W. B. Beach. Of these, Jacob Angle
emigrated to the state of Illinois in 1856, and died about fif-
teen years past ; Joseph E. Hocker moved to the state of Kan-
sas in the year 1853, and died about two years past at Seneca,
Kan. ; S. Wright moved to the southern part of Indiana in
the year 1815 ; A. J. Boone departed this life at his home near
Lebanon, July 12, 1875; L. C. Dougherty continued to reside
in Lebanon until he died, about October 29, 1876 ; William
B. Beach is now a resident of Providence, R. I.; J. C. Hague
is now residing on his farm near Thorntown ; Stephen Neal
and T. J. Cason both are yet residents in the city of Lebanon.

During said period of time, from 1813 to 1852, a few other
attorneys were located in Lebanon for a short time. During
those years, Hiram Brown, William Quarles, Hugh O'Neal, A.
A.. Hammond and Jacob Landis, of Indianapolis, were regular
attendants of the circuit courts of this county.

From the year 1852 to 1886, the resident lawyers at Leba-
non have been, T. J. Cason, A. J. Boone, R. W. Harrison, T.
H. Lockhart, J. W. Clements, T. J. Terhune, C. M. Zion, O.


P. Mahan, B. S. Higgins, C. S. Wesner, J. A. Abbott, I. M.
Kelsey, M. C. WillsrC. M. Wynkoop, J. S. Pierce, Ste}ihen
Neal, D. M. Burns, J. O. Pedigo and S. A. Falkner. All of
these except Messrs. Boone and Clements are still residents of
Lebanon. During said period several other attorneys have
been located in the city and practiced law for short periods.
Stephen Xeal is the oldest attorney in the county, having had
nearly a half century's experience in the legal profession.


Below will be found a brief history of the different orders
in the county, when located, names, etc. We would be glad
to give a more full account if we had it, but have been unable
to get the secretaries to write up the orders. We take even
this from the Lebanon Patriot, dated December 18, 1886.


"Lebanon Lodge K. of P. wrs organized April 16, 1874, with
B^. A. Smith, W. E. Crigler, Edward Reynolds, W. P. John-
son, W. H. Pennington, .J. W. Kise, T. J.' Powell, A. D. Mor-
ris, J. AV". Garner, J. W. Small, P. L. Herod, Milroy Lane,
J. W. Olive, J. H. Morgan, T. J. Shulse, J. W. Hammond,
R. S. Camplin, Isaac Morris, F. M. Busby and W. A. Ken-
worthy as charter members. Ben. A. Smith was made first
C C, James W. Garner, V. C. Milroy Lane had the honor
of being first Past Chancellor. The new lodge started off
with plenty of work in each of the ranks, and seemed to pros-
per until about 1876, when financial trouble overtook it, and
not until 1880 did it renew its former vis^or. Durinfr the years
1880-1, owing to the close application of several of the breth-
ren, including S. S. Dailey, Charles M. Harrison, I. T. Davis
and others, the lodge had a new boom, and from that time to
the present but few lodge meetings have been without work.
In February, 1882, the lodge moved to its present location.


Recently they have secured a new home in Neal's new block,
which is being fitted up at an expense of about $400. They
expect to occupy this elegant room about January 6, 1887.
The membership consists of 157, of whom all exce})t sixteen
are under thirty-five years of age. Of so large a number but
few lodges can boast of so many young men, which only add>
life and vigor. No. 45 has made no failure in public enter-
tainments, as the successful carrying on of the K. of P. fair.
in the winter of 1884, and the Fourth of July enterprise of
1885, speak for themselves. The financial aifairs of the lodge
at the present time is managed by trustees S. S. Dailey, I. T.
Davis and C. F. S. Neal. Their last report shows ten shares
of building and loan stock and other property and cash, mak-
in all over $2,000. In a charitable way, Lebanon Lodge No.
45^ since its organization, has expended over $3,000.

Thorntown Lodge No. 124, was organized April 27, 1885,
with about thirty-five charter members and has at the present
time over 100, in good standing, all young, live, active and
energetic fellows.


The Masonic Order is represented in Boone County by the
following Lodges : Boone, No. 9, Lebanon; Thorntown, No.
113, Thorntown ; Zion, No. 197, Zionsville ; Hazelrigg, No.
200, Jamestown; Celestial, No. 525, Whitestown; Rosston,
No. 528, Rosston ; Lebanon Chapter, No. 39 ; Boone Council,
No. 45. Boone Lodg*-, No. 9, was first chartered as Thorntown
Lodge. No. 9, and place of meeting was at Thorntown. The
charter was granted lSia.\- 20, 1845, to Harvey G. Hazelrigg,
W. M.; Silas M. White,' S. W.; and Joseph D. Davis, J. \V.;
and was continued there until 1849, when the place- of meet-
ing was changed to Lebanon and name to Boone Lodge, No.
9. The first meetins; of that lodge in Lebanon was in the
second story of a frame building situated on what is now
known as the Halfman corner, and continued there until Will-
iam Zion built the two-story frame building on the Zion cor-


ner, and in the upper story of this frame building was fitted
up one of tiie handsomest lodge rooms in the state at tliat
time. It was in fact a blue lodge, the walls being beautiiully
frescoed in blue, upon which were painted all the symbols of
the order, and with its starry, decked ceiling and light in the
east it truthfully represented a lodge (»f symbolic ^Masons.
Here they remained until this building was destroyed by fire,
in which most all the property of the lodge was lost. In the
spring of 1866, with a membership of worthy citizens, at this
time they determindd to build a lodge room, and accordingly
made arrangements with Silas A. Lee and David Kenworthy,
who were then proposing to build on the lot owned by them
on South Lebanon street, to add a second story, which was
done, and they have now one of the best arranged and fur-
nished lodge rooms in the state. Dr. John L. Smith is be-
lieved to be the only surviving charter member of this lodge
as instituted at Thorntown. James Coombs is the oldest con-
tinuous member of Boone Lodge, No. 9, being made a jNIason
January 5, 1855. Among its prominent members w"ere Har-
vey G. Hazelrigg, Wm. Zion, R. G. Dormire, L. C. Daugh-
erty, Alijah Robison, F. M. Busby, Chauncy King. Major
Hazelrigg was for nearly twenty years Worshipful Master of
the lodge and retired only when he refused to serve any longer.
In 1862 he was elected Senior Grand Warden of the Grand
Lodge. In 1863 and 18G4 he was elected Deputy Grand
Master, and in 1865, '66 and ^67 was elected Grand Master of
the Grand Lodge. He was also at one time Eminent Grand
Commander of the Knights Templar of the state. In the
work of the order he was very proficient, and few ever excelled
him. Tlis knowledge of the Masonic law was such that his
decisions were quoted in other jurisdictions as authority and
he occupied a very prominent position in the order. This
lodge has exj^eriencod a revival and now has a membership of
about 140, composed of active and prominent citizens. Tliorn-
town Lodge was chartered May 30, 1851, and now has a mem-
bership of about seventy. Zion Lodge was chartered May 28,



1846, and has at present about fifty members. The lodge has
lately had the misfortune to lose, by fire, their finely furnished
lodge room, but they are now making preparations to build a
room of their own. Hazelrigg Lodge was chartered May 26,
1857, and now has a membership of about fifty. Celestial
Lodge was chartered ]S[ay 23, 1876, and now has a member-
ship of about twenty-five. Rosston Lodge was chartered May
23, 1875, and has a membership of about thirty-five. Of
Koyal Arch Masons there is but one chapter in Boone County,
and that is at Lebanon. It has a membership of about sixty-
five, composed of prominent and influential citizens of the
county. They meet in the hall of Boone Lodge No. 9, and
have lately purchased an elegant outfit for its purposes. There
is also but one council of Cryptic Masonry in the county, and
it is located at Lebanon. Several residents of this county are
also Knights Templar and Scottish Rite Masons. Accord-
ing to an ancient and well-established rule of the order ladies
-can not become Masons, (although there is no objection to
their becoming wives of Masons) and for the good of the
brethren, their wives, mothers and daughters, the beautiful
order of the Eastern Star was organized, and of this there is a
chapter in this city, lately re-organized, and which is now in a
prosperous condition and is a source of profit and pleasure to
all who have obtained the privilege of looking upon the star
in the east.


There is a great lack of correct information concerning the
Improved Order of Red Men. The order is a confraternity
for the promulgation of principles of true benevolence and
charity, and for the establishment of friendly bonds among
men. The order had its origin, as is believed, in the days of
the revolution, but the written record begins from the year
1812-13, when it was organized by Lieut. "Williams, in Fort
Miflflin, on the Delaware River, and was intended and did suc-
ceed in rendering a divided garrison a unit for the Republic.
When the close of the war its original object of existence


•ceased, but a few years later, shorn of its political character,
it was revived, and to-day exists on the princi])les above stated.
It is now the oldest American society extant of the class known
as secret societies. The order is beneficial, protective and
reciprocal; it is pre-eminently moral, just and pure; it is
founded on principles of pure benevolence; it recognizes as a
principle the right of man to freedom of thought and con-
science. It believes in any proper means or bonds which will
establish between men, otherwise strangers and aliens to each
other, the faithful bond of reciprocal friendship. The order
is represented in every state and territory in the United States
and is extending to foreign nations.

Winnebago Tribe, No. 36, was organized in this city on the
night of May 15, 1873, with the following charter members:
L. V. B. Taylor, John M. Scott, W. O. Buryhill, W. O. Dar-
nall, C. S. Riley, W. P. Parr, S. S. Daily, E. W. Matthews,
W. A. Kenworthy, C. W. Scott and Ben. A. Smith. The mem-
bership at this time is over one hundred, and is increasing
rapidly. Two members of Winnebago Tribe have passed
through the offices of the Great Council of the state, E. G.
Darnall and T. W. Lockhart, the former having represented
the state at the sessions of the Great Council of the United
States held at Atlantic City, N. J., in 1883, and at Springfield,
111., in 1884, and the latter is now representative to the Uni-
ted States Great Councils to be held in 1887 and 1888. Since
the organization of Winnebago Tribe, the members have
expended over S3, 000 for sick and funeral benefits. The reg-
ular meeting night is Wednesday of each week. A new and
well arranged hall is being fitted up in Neal's building on
Lebanon street, where the weekly meetings will be held after
January 1st.


There are in Boone County the following organizations of
the Knights of Labor: Boone Assembly, Xo. 2,214, at Leb-
anon ; Jackson Assembly, at Jamestown ; Redemption Assera-


bly, Thorntowii; Enterprise Assembly, Advance. The Leb-
anon Assembly was organized September, 1882, with eighteen

Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 13 of 38)