Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 14 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 14 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


charter members. In the early history of the assembly it was
very difficult to get additions to its membership from various
causes, chief among which was the numerous strikes and
troubles arising between the employees and employers of the
the country. It vras believed the organization was founded
and instituted for the purpose of encouraging and supporting
strikers, notwithstanding the fact is the constitution and laws
•of the order teach men, who are disposed to be fliir minded,
that it was the object and purpose of the order to substitute
arbitration for strikes. Another reason was the opponent- of
the order would constantly assert that it was political and
intended and designed for political purposes. These and many
other false statements so prejudiced the people apiinst the
order, that for the first three years after the organization of
Assembly, Xo, 2,214, weakened by desertions from its ranks,
it was with ditliculty that the organization was kept up; but
by untiring zeal and determination on the part of a few of its
remaining members, unjust and uncalled for criticism has in a
great measure been silenced, and public opinion, heretofore
bitter and unrelenting in opposition, has been changed, if not
into actual advocates of the principles and methods of the
Knights of Labor, at least into a quiet submission and allow-
ance of the assembly to exist and to go on with its good deeds.
Jackson Assembly was organized February 6, 1886, with six-
teen charter members. She, too, has passed the critical period ;
her membership now runs up into the hundreds, and is com-
posed of the very best and most energetic citizens of Jackson
Township. Redemption Assembly was the next to fall into
line, being organized February 10, 1886, with seventeen char-
ter members, and has established herself in the affection of the
people of Sugar Creek Township so that applications for mem-
bership and initiations are too numerous to mention. Enter-
prise Assembly was organized February 1, 1886, with sixteen
charter members of the best mechanics and farmers of Whites-



BOONE COUJS'TY, INDIANA. 1G3

town. This assembly is very prosperous and rapidly increas-
ing in numbers. Advance Assembly was organized July 8,
1886, with nineteen charter members. The order in the
county is in a prosperous condition. When the ultimate
results of this order shall have been accomplished in the
world, then shall the sword be beaten into " plowshares " and
neither swords nor implements of death shall be used forever.

VARIETY CHAPTER.

In the following chapter will be found some incidents and
reminiscences not of sufficient importance to form separate
articles. We have concluded to group them in one chapter,
forming, as we hope, one that will be of interest :

The bear fight at " Dye's Mills" in the year 1847 was one
of the largest gatherings, up to that time, perhaps ever assem-
bled in the county. The Dye boys had a few mouths pre-
vious captured two cub bears out in Howard County, kept
them until about eighteen months old, when it was proposed
to have a shooting match bear nght. The time finally arrived
for it to take place. The result was a big crowd ; the people
came far and near — sporting men from Indianapolis and many
other places were there with their best guns and dogs. Xot
less than three thousand persons were present. The shooting
match came first, and you may guess there was some good
marksmen on hand with their pieces in the best possible trim.
The result was, first, second and third choices went in diiferent
directions. After which came the dog or bear fisrht. The
dogs of war was turned loose | it became apparent soon that
brain was on top every time, and one or two dogs were killed
outright. Notwithstanding this large, mixed crowd, there wa -
no serious trouble. The bears were dressed and awarded in
parcels, satisfactory to all as far as I know. The writer luui a
piece for dinner the next day, and it was the best bear meat he
ever ate, for it was the only.

When Thomas P. Miller kept the postoffice in Eagle Vil-



164 EARLY I.IFK AND TIMES IN

lage, back in the forties, a youno; man dropped a letter in the
ofEce without her name on the back — that is, his best girl that
"lived in Yander." Mr. jNIiller noticed it and called th'/
vouuo; crcut's attention to the fact, who, it seems, wanted to do
his correspondence on the sly. He was told it wa^' out of the
question to deliver the letter without her name on it. " Why,"
said he, '' I guess her name is on the inside."

Austin Davenport built the first brick house in Eagle
Township on the Michigan road in the year 1835.

George Stephenson was killed in Clinton Township in
1835 by the falling of a tree. This was the first tragic death
in Clinton Township. He was the son of Robert Stephenson,
one of the pioneers of this locality.

James M. Larimore was the first Odd Fellow in Boone
County, initiated at Indianapolis in 1846. He died in 1849
and is buried ft the cemetery in Eagle Village.

Noah Burkett, one of the pioneers of Eagle Creek, was
killed by the cars near Whitestown about the year 1865.

A son of John Wolf, aged eighteen years, was drowned in
Big Eagle just above the old Dye farm in 1848. He was
crossing a foot log. His body was found a day or two after
by his father.

A daughter of John King, aged ten years, was killed in
Eagle Creek Township, in the year 1828, by the falling of a
tree.

William Lane had a son killed by a log, in 1829, in Union
Township. He was six years of age.

Nancy Cruse, daughter of Benjamin Cruse, was killed by
lightning in 1830, on Eagle Creek and on the old John Johns
farm. She was about sixteen years of age.

In 1840, L. M. Oliphant and Alexander Miller shot and
captured a bald eagle near Eagle Village. It measured nine
feet from tip to tip. It M^as only crippled and was taken to
the Tippecanoe Battle Ground at the great meeting of 1840,
where it was the admiration of all.



)Wj



BOONE COUNTV, INDIANA. 165

William Duzau's dwelling was burned, in Clarkstowu, in
the year 1842. Also the house of Oel Thayers at the same
place.

The present court house Nvas built, at a cost of §40,000^ in

1856.

William Feely was frozen to death in Clinton Township,
about the year 1840. He Avas out hunting, became lost, tried
to make a fire, failing he became stupefied, and finally fell and
was frozen when found.

Mrs. Margaret Evans, wife of Jonathan Evans, was killed
with an ax in Union Township in 1883, on the farm now
owned by W. O. Gary. Her son was supposed to have done
it in an insane fit.

The records of the county were burned October 12, 1856.

Thomas J. Cason is the only resident of the county struck
by congressional lightning, having served two terras, repre-
senting the counties of Boone, Tippecanoe, Clinton, Carroli,
Benton, Warren, Fountain and Montgomery. The first time
his opponent was Gen. M. D. Mason. The second time, Hon.
Leander McClung was his opponent.

A son of David Ross was killed by the falling of a tree in
Washington Township, 1842, aged thirteen years.

A daughter of George Harness, aged fourteen years, was
killed near Thornto\vn in 1829, by falling off a fence.

A daughter of the widow BufQnger was killed in Wash-
ington Township in 1859, by falling of a tree. She was aged
about twelve years.

Ruben Crose was killed by falling of a tree in Sugar Creek
Township, aged forty-five years.
• George Groves was killed in Thorutowu by Wm. Weuship.

In 1864, Franklin Imler, of near Zionsville, found a pack-
age of greenbacks under the railroad bridge just south of town.
The owner never called for it.

The present jail was built in the year 1878. It is a good
structure, with residence attached, and all the modern prison



166 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

attachments, making it one not only ornamental to the city,
but durable and safe. The entire cost was near $20,000.
Located immediately north of the court house and where its
predecessors stood (log structures) in early times.

xCereamery was first started near Lebanon, on the Lafayette
pike, just in the edge of the city, in 1886. It is a stock
company.

Jacob Kernodle was among the first to build a brick dwell-
ing in the county on his farm, one and one-fourth miles east
of Lebanon, now the property of John H. Spahr. This was built
about the year 1846.

The opera house in Lebanon was built in 1885-6, by J. C.
Brown, Wm. Richey and Henry Brown ; cost, $20,000 ; located
on West Main street.

Harrison Raridon was thrown from his buggy on the night
of the 12th of April, 1875, and died on the 16th of same
month, at the age of forty-five years; supposed to have been
robbed and killed.

Levi Thompson was drowned in Sugar Creek, near Thorn-
town, in 1870.

In 1856 a daughter of Noah Chitwood was burned to
death in Harrison Township, aged six years.

A son of Wm. D. Lane, aged nine years, was killed by the
falling: of a tree, in 1842. He was killed in Harrison Town-
ship.

Able Lane was killed in Jefferson Township, in 1868, by
the falling of part of a tree top.

Joshua Hazelrigg was drowned in Sugar Creek, near
Thorntown, in 1856. He was the son of the late H. G.
Hazelrigg.

Commenced boring for gas March 10, 1887, at Lebanon.



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 167

THE PRESS OF BOONE COUNTY FROM THE
FIRST UP TO 1887.

BY JOHN W. KISE, ESQ., LEBANON.

Some one has said tliat the press was a mighty lever, the
truth of v.hich no one doubts; and when wielded in the right
direction certainly is a blessing to any country. Thirty or
forty years ago only an occasional paper could be found on the
tables of the people of this country. The times have changed
and the reverse is the truth — only a few can be found but have
on them the dailies or weeklies of the day. The press is cer-
tainly an educator ; its appearance in our homes weekly is
hailed with delight, especially our local papers, They come
laden with the news fresh from all parts of the county. No
well-regulaled family or county can dispense with those valua-
ble weekly visitations. Let us encourage them and try as
patrons and corre5i)ondents to raise higher yet the standard of
our papers. Boone County has kept pace with other parts of
our state in this enterprise, and all the time, from first to last,
has had weekly issues that will compare favorably with the best.
Following will be found a somewhat imperfect sketch of the
press, but it is the best that can be obtained at this writing:

THE PIONEER.

In 1851 The Boone County Pioneer was started at Lebanon,
with Henry Hill as editor and proprietor, which was the first
paper published in Boone County. The editor was a practical
printer, but like most printers of that day was not a practical
business man. He continued the publication of the above
paper as the organ of the Democracy for something like four
years, when his calls for financial aid upon the party leaders
became too numerous, and he was induced to sell out. He
was succeeded by the late Dr. James Mc Workman and Col.
W. C. Kise, who became editors and proprietors. Lender the
management of Messrs. McWorkman & Kise the paper pros-



168 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

pered, and in a short time (perliaps about the beginning of the-
memorable campaign of 1856) it was sold to a young man
who afterwards became famous as its editor — George Wash-
ington Buckingham, from Newark, Ohio. " Buck " contin-
ued as its editor and made it a '' red hot " Democratic ])a])er
until the close of the year 1860, when the party having re-
ceived a Waterloo in the nation and state, he retired, and was
succeeded by James Gogen, who continued the publication for
a short time, when the great war breaking out, and the publi-
cation of a Democratic paper in the county being attended
with a financial loss which he coidd not well stand, its farther
publication was discontinued.

After a sleep of seven years it was resuscitated by the party
under the management of the now notorious Jap. Tnrpin,
whose career as an editor was " short and sweet," and he was
succeeded by Lafe Woodard, " the terror," who al>o made but
a short stay with the people of Boone.

Gen. R. C. Kise then assumed the management of the
paper, and edited the same with distinguished ability and great
financial success, until the year 1869, when he was succeeded
by Henry S. Evans. This gentleman managed the paper un-
til the campaign of 1870 opened, when he was replaced by
that "prince of good fellows/' Ben. A. Smith. This gentle-
man surrounded himself with the best local writers of the
party, and made a good paper of the Pioneer until 1874, when
he disposed of the entire office to Dr. T. H. Harrison, its
present editor, who has continued the publication of tiie
Pioneer to the present, and has spared no pains to make it an
acceptable medium of news to the party and the people of tiie
county. Lone; mav it live.

In the year 1854 the Boone County Ledger was started in
Lebanon, as the organ of all voters opposed to the then tri-
umphant Democracy. The paper was published by a stock
company, with Volney B. Oden and David M. Burns as its-
first editors. They were afterwards succeeded by one Edward



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 169

Bell, a practical printer and a forcible writer. Mr. Bell ina<le
a satisfactory paper to his party, but managed the hu.-iness
department in such a way as to make himself a costly
''luxurv," and in a short time the entire office was sold to-
parties in Danville and removed to that place, where its pub-
lication was continued as the Hendricks County Ledger, also
publishing an edition known as the Boone County Ledger to
fill out the time of all subscriptions to the Boone County
concern.

The next paper published in Lebanon by the Republicans
was the J^.r/)o.si7o/-, which flourished for about three years, under
the manacrement, first of W. H. Smith, then of Asa P. Taft,
a scholarly gentleman.

About the year 1860, Joseph W. Jackson, who had been
publishing a paper at Thorntown (the Thorntown Evening
Mail), removed his office to Lebanon and published it as the
Lndiana Mail, which he continued to edit for some two or
three years, when, if the writer is not mistaken, what was left
of the defunct Expositor and Mr. Jackson's paper, were pur-
chased by John H. and James Hendricks, who adopted the
name of the Lebanon Patriot for the paper they published.

These gentlemen were succeeded by T. H. B. McCain, as
editor, whose entire office was destroyed by fire in March,
1886. Rising from the ashes, the Patriot was continued by
Mr. McCain for a short time, when he disposed of it to D. E.
Caldwell, who introduced many "city airs," such as a steam
press, etc., into the office of his valuable paper. The Patriot
has since been edited by various parties, prominent among
whom may be mentioned M. M. Manner and W. O. Darnall,
J. A. Abbott and S. L. Hamilton, J. A. Abbott and D. H.
Olive, AV. C. Gerard, Ciiaries E. Wilson, Jacob Keiser, and
its present thorough-going and aggressive editors and propri-
etors, Messrs. S. J. Thompson & Son. May it continue to
prosper and lend its influence toward building up the best of
Counties, glorious old Boone,



170 EARLY LIFE AND TIMF.S IN

OTHER PAPERS AT LEBANON.

Numerous other newspaper eiForts have been made at Leb-
anon, such LS the Jaio Breaker, Night Hawk, and Swamp Angel,
which each flourished for a time, by R. C. Kise, when he was
as a boy serving his time on the Pioneer ; also the Daily Times,
bv John C. Taylor, which he published for a short time while
he was engaged on one of the other leading papers. After
the Pioneer went to sleep, during the late, war, AV. A. Tipton
and some other parties started the Democrat and tried to make
it go, but it never succeeded beyond infancy. Ben. A. Sniith
returned to Lebanon in 1875 or '76 and started a paper called
the Democrat, but as the party refused to recognize any paper
as organ outside of the Pioneer, he was soon compelled to
remove his paper to another field.

About the year 1878, the "National," or "Greenback"
party started an organ in Lebanon, known as the Greenbaekcr,
which was successfully edited by C M. AVyncoop, H. H-
Hacker, Charles Xorris and Charles Calvert, the latter chang-
ing the name of the paper to the Lebanon Bee, and finally
removing the office and all-to Kansas.

Three years since, E. G. Darnall founded the Lebanon
Mercury, sm "independent" newspaper, with which he con-
tinued dosing this people for eighteen mouths, when he sold
out paper and good will to Rev. C. B. Mock who continues
gathering in the shekels from the same.

About the year 1858, Joseph W. Jackson started a weekly
paper, The Thorntown Evening Mail, at this place, which he
•continued for some two years, receiving a liberal support for
most of the time; but thinking there was a good opening at
Lebanon for his paper he removed his office to that place.

F. B. Rose started a paper, we think the Thorntown Coin-
wema?, about the year 1872, and continued its publication tor
a very short time. He was succeeded by L. B. Kramer, wu"
edited the Register until some time in 1873. His successor wa-
N. C. A. Rayhouser, who ran the Messenger for a season. 1' •



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. * 171

B. Rose edited the Independent, and was followed by Messrs.
Gault & Runyau, who made their paper, the Leader, an ac-
•ceptable medium of news to that enterprising people.

S. W. Fergusson edited the Argus, and being of a fiery na-
ture the paper soon partook of his disposition; it was dis-
posed of to Messrs. Darrough & Crouch, and they were soon
followed by C. W. Hazelrigg. Charlie published a good
paper while he was editor.

F. B. Rose succeeded Mr. Hazelrigg and continued the
Argus about two years, when he sold out the concern to Rev.
C B. Mock, who remained as editor nearly two years and then
-disposed of the oflice to F. B. Rose, who now has the Argus
established upon a solid business-like basis and is enjoying a
fine patronage.

The Zionsville Times has been edited by the following named
gentlemen : A. G. Alcott, who made it very newsy ; W. F.
Morgan, afterwards County Recorder ; John S. Grieves, a
young printer, who was well qualified for tlie position, but
could not content himself long in one place, and the present
enterprising editor, Cal. Gault, who is publishing one of the
best papers our county possesses.

John Messier and Will Eagle started the Commercial about
the year 1872, and made a very sprightly paper of it for a
short time, but were stranded on a chattel mortgage and com-
pelled to surrender the office to their sureties. F. B. Rose
followed them as editor for a short season, and then took the
office to Thorntown.

G. W. Corbin edited Nip and Tuck, tlie Northern World
and Temperance Tribune. A. S. Clements was editor of the
Tribune; also W. C. Brown made a newsy paper of the Trib-
une, but it remained for the present editor, that veteran jour-
nalist, G. W. Snyder, to bring order out of chaos, and make a
really first-class paper at Jamestown. Such is the Tribune of
to-day.



172 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

EARLY PHYSICIANS OF BOONE COUNTY.

BY DE. A. G. PORTER OF LEBANON.

Dr. William N. Duzan was born in the State of Tennessee^
iu 1809, where he read medicine, but did not practice there to
any extent. He came with his father, Rev. William Duzan,
to Clarkstown about the year 1836, and where his best days
were spent. Shortly after his arrival he commenced practice,
which steadily increased, extending through the east part of
Boone and the west part of Hamilton counties, his father's
farm being on the line just east of Clarkstown. Late in life
he married a lady in Indianapolis, and about the year 185(3,
removed there, wliere his home has mostly been ever since,
except, perhaps, a short stay in Arkansas and California. Dr.
Duzan was a peculiar man — a natural doctor, if there is auy
such a being. His extensive practice gave him large expe-
rience, which he was quick to learn. At one time no u:iau in
Boone County had a more extensive practice than Dr. Duzan.
Of quick, nervous temperment, rather high strung, he loved
a friend and hated an enemy as well. In person hi; was of
medium size, auburn hair, small piercing eyes, and an undinch-
ing Democrat. He died at Indianapolis, August, 1886 ; buried
at Crown Hill.

Dr. Jeremiah Larimore was born in Fayette County, Ind.,
about the year 1825. His father, H. G. Larimore, was also a
physician, who was his tutor. In 1834 Jeremiah, theu a lad
of nine years, came with his fatiier to Eagle Village, wherf
his education was mostly acquired in the common schools ot
the day. At the age of twenty-one he went to Missouri,
attended medical school and practiced three or four years and
where he married, in 1845. Soon after he returned to his for-
mer home. Eagle Village, where he at once obtained an ex-
tensive practice, in fact, beyond what he could do. This con-
tinued until the year 1849, when he went to California, wher^"
he remained three years. Returning to his old home he again



BOOXE Cf/UNTY, INDFAXA. 173

regained his lost }>ractice. When Eagle Village went down
he went to Zionsville, where he practiced several years; then
to Whitestown, where he again built up a fair practice. Dr.
Larimore was in many respects a splendid man and doctor.
The cup finally was his ruin, however. He died in Indianap-
olis in 1879 or 1880; is buried at jSIonnt Run Cemetery.
In person he was fine looking, fiiir complexion, auburn hair,
near six feet high.

Dr. Samuel K. Hardy, one of the early doctors of North-
field, was born in Virginia, married Miss Sarah Larimore, in
Fayette County, Ind. He commenced the practice of medicine
in Northfield, Boone County, in 1844, where he remained a
number of years, and where he built up an extensive practice,
subsequently removing to Zionsville where he continued in
practice. He died there a few years ago. In person Dr.
Hardy was tall, rawboned, of rather angular build, dark hair
-and complexion. He is the father of Dr. J. S. Hardy, of
Whitestown, this county.

Dr. Pressly was one of the pioneer doctors of Xorthfield,
coming away back in the thirties. I am unable to say where
he was born or died.

Dr. A. J. McLeod was also an early doctor of Xorthfield.
Am unable to say where he was born nor the time he first
came to Northfield. It was prior to 1850. He was a Baptist.
His whereabouts are to me unknown.

Dr. Rodman was born in Ohio about the year 1820; came
to Boone County when twenty-one years of age ; read medi-
cine with Dr. W. N. Duzan, of Clarkstown, Ind. In the year
1845 he commenced the practice of medicine at Eagle Village,
where he was married to Mariha Rose in 1847. He built up,
in the course of time, a fair practice in and about Eagle Vill-
age, and where he remained up to 1853, when he removed to
Zionsville. He practiced there ten or fifteen years, when his
wife died. He asraiu married Mrs. Beerner. He moved to
Washington Territory some ten years ago and resides there
now, 1887. Dr. Rodman was a noble-hearted man, full of



174 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

human kindness first, last and all the time ; was an uncom-
promising Democrat of the old Jacksonian school. He was a
well-informed doctor and had fair success in his practice,
which was at one time quite extensive. In person he was
well made, weighing one hundred and seventy-five pounds,
fair complexion, dark hair and blue eyes. At one time he wa.<
a partner of George W. Duzan, at Zionsville.

Dr. George ^Y. Duzan, Sen., was born in Tennessee in
1812; came with the Duzan family to this county in 1834.
He read medicine with his brother, W. N. Duzan, and prac-
ticed with him for years in and about Clarkstown, their early
home. About the year 1850 he was married to a lady near
Augusta, in Marion County, and there Removed and practiced
for several years. Finally he went to Indianapolis, at w^hich
place he did not practice to any extent. He died near that
city in May, 1886, and is buried at Crowai Hill Cer^etery..
Dr. Duzan was a strong Methodist, and at one time an able
preacher. In person he was rather under size in height,.
would w^eigh one hundred and sixty-five pounds, fair com-
plexion and auburn hair. During his study he overtaxed his
eyesight, from which he never fully recovered. He will long
be remembered by many to w^hom he has ministered physically
and spiritually. He leaves a family near the city of Indiana-
polis. He is an uncle of G. N. Duzan, of Zionville. Dr. W.
N. Duzan is also an uncle of G. X. Duzan, of Zionsville.

Dr. George L. Burk was born in Kentucky. His parents
moved to this county in 1836 or 1837, and settled in the wild



Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 14 of 38)