Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 18 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 18 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


next day as the people viewed the ruins, such remarks as " this
ends Presbyterianism in Lebanon," were heard. It looked
like it. The pastor who had labored so energetically and effi-
ciently in the erection of the new building had resigned his
charge; the financial strength of the members of the church
\vas exhausted; the building in ruins and a debt on it of
'?1,500. A few days after the storm a meeting of the members
was called to determine what to do. Plan after plan was sug-
gessed but none adopted. Finally, when it seemed that noth-



■218 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

ing would be accomj)lished, one member suggested that the
pastor, I. M. Bishop, be requested to reconsider his resignation,
and that they make the attempt to rebuild. This they deter-
mined to do. By the little which the congregation and citi-
zens of Lebanon could give, with the very liberal foreign aid
from friends and the Board of Church Erection, the present
building was erected. About §13,000 was spent on the former
house and about §4,500 on tiie present building.

The following is a list of the names of the trustees: B. F.
Hammond H. L. Bynum, Henry YanNuys, R. W. Mathews.

CHRIS riAX CHURCH, LEBANON.

BY STEPHEN NEAL.

The above church is in a flourishing condition, or, rather,
a ' healthy state." Like almost every other church or society,
h has had seasons of prosperity and of lethargy. Here there
has been, and always will be, a ''faithful few," a "leaven," so
to speak. Come what will, they are, and will be, the beacon
licrht : a silver linino; to the dark clouds that necessarily come
over human organizations or societies. The history of this
churcli is also much like others here as well as elsewhere.
First a few members in accord with each other met at private
houses for worship, there being no church houses to worship
in. We find, about 1835, a few families in and near Lebanon
thus met, first, perhaps, at the house of James McCann. Thus
a nucleus was formed, around which the society of to-day has
grown. Among the early elders we find the late John Shulse
to have been one, and who has done much to strengthen and
encourage the few in their church relations, and to specially
advise them. Mr. James McCann, referred to above, at an
early day resided in Lebanon, where the meetings were held.
Afterward the society held its. meetings at the old seminary,
where Mrs. Bray now resides. Yet later, in the old court
house. Among the first members composing this little band



BOONE COUN'TY, INDIANA.



219



we find : James and Elizabeth McCann, Zachariah and Eliza-
beth Paul}', Mrs. Paiily's mother, James Forsyth, John Shultz,
Elizabeth Shultz, Thomas and Martha Kersy, Mrs. Dale. The
first elders were Bros. McCaun, Shultz and Pauly. Soon after
the society was fully organized they set about building a
church on West Washington street. This was in the year
1842 or 1843. The house was a frame, well adapted to the
use for which it was built; served its day, and in 1866 it was
-old to the Catholics and used by them for a place to worship.
Immediatelv after steps were taken to build a brick church.
The following members were chosen to act as .a building com-
mittee: George Combs, Stephen Neal, John Adair, William
McLean, Robert C. McCann, John M. Shulse. And in 1867
the house was completed, at a cost of $5,000. The hou'^e is
u-ell located, and is in every way a good building. Will seat
600 persons ; size 40x60 feet. It was dedicated in June, 1 867,
by the late Benjamin Franklin, of Anderson, Ind. The iol-
lowing elders have from time to time preached here : Adam
Harney, William Young, M. W. Council, Rev. Edmonson,
J. S. Bicknell, S. K. Hoshour, M. B. Hopkins, John M. Shulse,
Thomas Lockhart, John O'Cain, Lov. H. Jemison, E. O. Bur-
gess, A. J. Hobbs, Hiram St. John Vandake, Overman.
Elder H. R. Pritchard is now the regular elder. Present
vlders: J. T. McCann, J. S. Trowbridge, Henry Spencer.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH xVT ELIZAVILLE.

The above church was first organized in October, 1875,
with the following members, after a meeting was held prepar-
atory- to its organization, the Rev. John Howks preaching a
sermon, a committee reporting in favor of a church organiza-
tion. This was the home mission of Crawfordsville. Xames :
George A. Woods, May J. Woods, Dortha J. Woods, Hamil-
ton Carr, Elizabeth A. Carr, John F. Sims, Fidelia J. Sims,
Margaret A. Campbell, Robert E. Burns, Elizabeth J. Burns,
Martha Campbell, Margaret Wright, W. F. Bycrs, Lewis M.



220 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

Fitzpatriek, Xancy J. Fitzpatrick, Mary J. Carroll, A. J.
Clossin, Nancy Byers, B. L. Chalk. The following rnling
elders were eleoted : Hamilton Carr, George A. Woods and
J. F. Sims. After a sermon by the llev. E. Barr, the above
brethren were regularly inducted into office as deacons.
Rev. E. Wood acted as moderator, and John Howks as secre-
tary, at the above organization.

The following have served the above society or church
as ministers from time to time: A. K. Xaylor, Rev. J. F,
Sims, Rev. J. L. Willson, W. T. Allen, X. F. Tuck, J. Howks,
\V. P. Koontz, A. O. Smith ; present trustees : F. M. Ste-
phenson, B. L. Chalk and J. Stephenson. Total number of
members now (1887), 83. The church building, which is of
brick, is a very handsome, substantial house, erected in 188 1.
The following were the building committee: Bros. William
Maze, B. L. Chalk and J. F. Sims. The house was only ded-
icated in 1881, by Rev. S. . The cost of the

building was seventeen hundred dollars. It is well located in
Elizaville, and is in every way a credit to the society that
built it. It will seat some five hundred persons. Bro. J. R.
Chalk is the clerk, to whom we are indebted for the above
information.

HOPEWELL PRESBYTERIAX CHURCH.

BY F. C. PHILLIPS.

This church is located in Clinton Township, on the Thorn-
town and Strawtown road and nine miles northeast of Leb-
anon. Xo church in the county is more pleasantly situated or
better attended. The house is a frame, 35 x 45 feet, will seat
comfortably four hundred persons. It was built in 1852 at a
cost of twelve hundred dollars. In April, 1837, the church
was first organized here by the Presbytery at Crav/fordsvdle,
Ind. The committee consisted of Revs. Hall and Samuel
Lowrey, who met at the house of Robert Oliver, now known



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 221

:as the Haller Farm. This was on the 17th of June, 1837,
when Hopewell Church \\ as organized as a church (Kev. Hall
giving the name ). The following are among the first mem-
bers: James Adams, Jane Adams, Ephiaim Adams, Elizabeth
Adams, Robert Oliver, James Cam[)bell, Elizabeth Campbell,
.John AVilson, Jeremiah Cory, Mary Cory, David Vanclcve,
Rachael Vancleve, Mai-tha ^Maxwell, James S. Hamilton,
Elizabeth Hamilton. Mary Scott, Mary Oliver, James Strahn,
Lucinda A\'illson, John J]erry, Mary Berry and Silas ]M. Cory.
Rev. Mr. Hall was the first minister. The first elders were
J. S. Hamilton, Jeremiah Cory and Ephraim Adams. In 1839
Rev. \V. T. Ferguson was called, who succeeded Rev. Hall,
and who served the church as pastor for a period of eight
years. Mr. Ferguson was followed by C. K. Thompson, fol-
lowed by Rev. Evans. Rev. Mr. Hay, a Cumberland Presby-
terian minister, preached here three years. F. M. Syramcs, J..
M. Bishop and D. B. Banta ; the last named is the present
minister and by his labors the church has been greatly blessed.
Hopewell is now one of the strong churches of the county.
When first organized the members were few and comparatively
poor; first built a log house in which to worship and occupied
it until it was too small to hold the congregation^ which
necessitated the building of the pre-ent beautiful house. The
members contributed so liberally that only one hundred dol-
lars was unpaid when the house was completed. -^John L.
Bunton, so long a valued member, and who served as an elder,
over forty years, stands as a worthy monument to this church.
He was, at his own request, relieved as elder a few years ago,
but is yet an active member. The first trustees were John L.
Bunton-, Hamilton Carr and Alexander Caldwell. I have
given all the history I can get, as the records have not been
kept as well as they ought to have been. The society is in a
healthy condition at this writing. There is a cemetery adjoin-
ing on the east, where many of the former members are buried.
^Others have moved away.



222 EART.Y LIFE AND TIMES IX

SALEM U. PRESBYTERIAN' CHURCH, OR MUD
CREEK CHURCH IX CLIXTOX TOWXSHIP.

The above church was organized on Mud Creek, in Clinton
Township, on October 7, 1837, and soon after a log house was
built which served the society as a place of meeting up to the
building of the present house in 1854, costing about one thou-
sand dollars. The building is a very good frame; will seat
nearly five hundred persons. John H. Reynolds organized
the first church with the following members: Hugh Wylie,
Jacob Hopkins and wife, Robert Stephenson and wife, Isaac
Hopkins and wife, J. M. Burns and wife, Mary Wylie, ]Mary
Burns, Sarah Stephenson, A. B. Clark and wife, J. H. Sample
and wife, Isabelle Sample. J. H. Bonner was the first settled
minister here; the following were the first elders: J. M.
Burns, E. B. Clark and J. H. Sample. The above church is
in a healthy condition at this time (1886), and has for over
forty years been a popular place to church goers. The ceme-
tery adjoining is well located, and where many pioneers are
sleeping. The first burial here was ]SIr. Robert Stephenson,
who was killed by a falling tree in 1837. The following min-
isters have served this society : J. H. Bonner, R. R. Coon, J.
D. Glenn, J. R. Bell, J. P. Wright, James ^McCrea, Chancy
Murch, S. H. McDill, who is now the pastor. The present
membership is seventy-eight. Sessions clerk, ]Moses Turner;
church clerk, Robert Stephenson. Present elders are as fol-
lows : Hugh R. Wylie, Dr. Brand, William Stephenson.
James Mulligan, Joseph M. Sample, John F.Crawford, Trus-
tees, W. H. Wylie, R. S. Stephenson, James M. Turner.

LUTHERAN CJIURCH AT WHITESTOWX.

BY REV. J. C. BARB.

Among the religious denominations of Boone County, the
Evangelical Lutheran Church, at Whitestown, deserves special
mention. About the year 1834, Rev. E. S. Henkle organized



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 22S

a congregation of Lutherans east of Whitestown. This congre-
gation was composed of John Good, Sr., Adam Catron, John
Neese, Solomon Xeese, Daniel Buck, John Peters, Jacob Ditz-
enberger, John Miller, Peter Keslerig and their families.
This congregation first worshiped in the house of John Good,
Sr., next under a shed that stood on the ground where the
Lutheran Church now is. They also worshiped for a time in
a school house that stood on the same ground. About the
year 1840 they built a log house 30x24 feet, in wdiicli they
held religious services for many years. That log house at this
writing still stands, although it is in a very dilapidated condition.
Old settlers tell us that the congregations which assembled here
to worship God were often so large that they were necessitated
to hold services in the grove. The people came to this place
of worship from all parts of the surrounding county, some on
foot, some on horseback and some in farm wagons, for in that
day of mud roads, buggies and spring wagons were not in use.
The first person that was buried near this church was Daniel
Buck, about the year 1834. This denomination of christians,
by additions to the church, increased to such an extent that in
the year 1851, Revs. J. A. Rudisill and J. Good organized a
congregation in a log house that stood on the farm of Ambrose
Neese, in the southeast part of what is now known as Whites-
town. They worshiped in this house for a short time, then,
by permission granted them, worshiped in a log church house
in the northeast part of said town. Soon, however, they built
a laro:e frame buildino; which was known as the Lutheran
Church until the year 1868, when the present commodious,
substantial and comfortable brick building, known by the name
of St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church, was erected. This
church stands in a convenient part of the town, and its mem-
bership is composed of many of the leading citizens of Worth
Township. The early Lutheran ministers of this section of the
country were Revs. Henkle, Rudisill, Good, Grounds and
Livengood. Since their day the church has been served by
Revs. M. S. Stirewalt, Jacob Wesner, C. L. Laucr and J. G.



224 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

M. Hursh. The present pastor is Rev. J. C. Barb, who was
•called to the work in 1883. But few of the original members
are now living. The church is said to be in a prosperous con-
dition. The church roll contains one hundred and eighty-five
names.

PJ.EASANT VIEW CHURCH. (NEWLIGHT.)

The above church was first organized in Jefferson Town-
ship in 1836. The meetings at first were held at private
houses. It was at the house of Adam Kern where the meet-
ing was held looking towards an organization. A man by the
name of Myers, from Montgomery County, proposed to come
on the 6th of November, 1836, to take the initiatory steps to
that end. But it seems he did not come, but Benjamin
Beeman came in his stead. This good old man not only came,
but, it seems, remained, and from time to time prcaclied for
them for over twenty years. The following are the eight
names composing the first persons who became members at
that time : Adam Kern, James rlall, Jane Hall, Arice Pauly,
John Bowcn, John Pauly and Miles Hall, all of whom are
dead except Arice Pauly and James Kern, and who attended
the fiftieth anniversary of the church Nov. 6, 1886, on which
occasion a good time was had and over 1,000 persons attended.
Near 1,000 persons' names have been enrolled on the church
book here from first to last — hundreds have died, otheis have
moved away. There are now over 140 members enrolled,
and Pleasant View is in a flourishing condition, and has done
untold good in the neighborhood. Its work has gone out.
Many who first joined here have become useful members of
other churches, while the good work goes on here. The
pre-ent house Avas built in 1870, at a cost of $1,500. It is
40x60 feet, and will seat 500 persons. The following are the
trustees: Barton Hall, James Bowen and Cornelius Riggins.
The following have served as church clerks: Adam Kern,
A. H. Hill, A. D. Beck, Dreury Jackson, G. E. Bowen and



/






M^.^.






■f



\




'*^-«



//



'-y



DR. WILLIAM D. STARKEY.



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 225

Samuel H. Huckstep. Bros. Kern and Jackson are deceased.
The following have served as deacons : Bros. Adam Kern,
John Bowen, Arice Pauly, H. B. Kern, James Mount, Barton
Caldwell, C. M. Kiggins, A. D. Beck, Jacob Harlara ; the last
three are the present deacons (1886). There is also a flourish-
ing Sunday-school kept up a good part of the year at this
church. Also, a cemetery adjoins, where many of the former
members are buried. The first buried here was in the year
1841. This well-known house is on the road leading from
Lebanon to Dover, six miles from the former and three from
the latter place.

OLD UNION CHRISTIAN CHURCH.

BY F. M. TROTTER.

The above popular church is located in Jackson Township,
five miles northeast of Jamestown and nine miles southwest of
Lebanon, and one and one-half miles south of Ward, on Eel
River. The church was first o'-ganized 1838 by Benjamin
'' Beeman. The ceremonies took place in a barn. A log house
was soon built on the site where the present house now stands,
which served them long and well. The following members
belonged to the first organization as follows : Thomas Spencer,
Sarah Spencer, Squire Dale, Elizabeth Dale, James Myers,
Evalin Myers, .John H. Nelson, ^lary Nelson, Thomas Scott,
J. Dinsmore, Elizabeth Dinsmore. Thomas Spencer gave the
land on which the old and present houses were erected, and
also the beautiful cemetery just west, and where many of the
former members are buried. The following ministers have
labored here from time to time: Benjamin Beeman, Thomas
Quillen, Samuel Deinwoody, L. W. Bannon, Jonathan Mariin,
A. L. Carney. In 1860 the present house was built, a frame
40x60, but costing sixteen hundred dollars. It will seat six
hundred persons, and is in every way a credit to the society
that built it. It was dedicated on the fourth Sabbath in Octo-
15



226 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES.

ber, 1886, by Elder Thomas Carr. Since its dedication the
following ministers have served the chnrch as follows : Jona-
than Martin, A. L. Carney, Jesse Parey, Henry Kincaid, E.
D. Simmons, A. J. Akers and F. M. Trotter, who is now the
pastor in charge. Of the eleven pastors five have joined the
silent majority. The following are deacons : William AVilhite,
I. P. Heady, O. B. Pratt, Lewis Nicely and Wm. Reese. The
trustees are Elisha Jackson, William Reese. The church has
had on its rolls five hundred members since its organization;
present number of members one hundred and fifty. The society
is at this writing (1887) in a healthy condition under the pas-
torship of F. M. Trotter, who kindly furnished the above.



BIOGRAPHIES.



. JOHN AIRHART.

This old veteran Mas born in Virginia, August 24, 1814, and
was a son of Peter Airhart. John was married to Catharine
Loop the 7th day of January, 1841, in Jefferson Township,
Boone County. Mrs. Airhart was the daughter of Christian
and Eva Loop, who were also pioneers of Boone County, com-
ing as early as 1834. Mr. Loop died in 1879, aged ninety
years; Mrs. Loop died in 1866; both ara buried at the Provi-
dence Cemetery, in Jefferson Township. John Airhart's par-
ents are also buried at the same cemetery. John Airhart, the
subject of this sketch, was among the early citizens of Jefferson
Township. He came October 6, 1834. Has resided on his
present farm since 1842. He drove a team from Virginia, and
on arriving here found but little to encourage him. Their
neiglibors were few and far between, but those few were social
'in the extreme. Some of his happiest days were spent in his
"cabin" home in the woods. Mr. Airhart is a good citizen
and enjoys the confidence of his neighbors. His active days,
however, are over. He and his aged companion are quietly
living at home, having went through life in all its phases :'
have had their joys and sorrows like others who were pioneers.
There was born to them two children, Eva Elizabeth, born
10th of December, 1 841 ; she was married to Franklin Wheatly
November 7th, 1857. The other child died in infancy. Mrs.
Airhart belongs to the Christian Church. In person Mr. Air-
hart is tall, dark hair and complexion.



228 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IX



HENRY AIRHART.



Mr. A. was born in Augusta County, Va., October 5,
1825. He was the son of Peter and Elizabeth Airhart.
Henry came to Jackson Township, Boone County, in the fall
of 1834, where he has ever since resided, and where he owns
a fine farm and enjoys the confidence of the people he has so
long lived among. He has served three terms as Township
Trustee, to the entire satisfaction of the people. By trade he
is a carpenter, but by choice has spent most of his time on the
farm. Henry is one of fourteen children who came to tnis
county, seven of whom are now living, and seven have joined
the silent majority with their parents. Peter Airhart died
in February, 1857. Henry was married to Rhody M. Beck
in April, 1846. One child was born to them. Mrs. A. died
January 15, 1850, when he again married Miss Mary M.
Golliday in January, 1856. Seven children were born to
them, as follows : Rodelphia E., married to Z. M. McCarty ;
Luella M., married to John Dean; C. G, Airhart, married to
Adda Canine; V. G. Airhart, resides at home ; Adia R., mar-
ried to "Walter ^Y. Coones; Loretta A., married to J. C. Ashly ;
Lora, deceased. All the above children reside in Jackson
Township, except Mr. and Mrs. Dean, who reside in Jefferson
Township. Henry Airhart belongs to the Baptist Church,
and is a stanch Democrat, first, last, and all the time.

FREDERICK BREXDELL.

The subject of this sketch was born in Xorth Carolina at
the close of the last century. Was married, about the year
1820, to Catherine Miller. Came to and settled on Little
Eagle Creek when the county was new, and near the Boone
County line, where he owned a large tract of land, and one
pf the finest farms in that part of the country. About the
3'ear 1842 he built a brick residence-— one of the very first on



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA.



229



the creek. He was, as well as his first wife, members of the
Eagle Creek Eegular Baptist Church, and perhaps two of the
original members. He, many years ago, 1848, sold goods at
his home, and also was a blacksmith, both of which were great
conveniencies to the new county. He died about fifteen years
ago, in the highest esteem of all who knew him, and is buried
in the cemetery on his farm. He is the father of Permains
and Edward Brendell, two Xo. 1 men, and who live on or near
the old home farm. Both are members of the Christian
Church at Little Eagle Creek, near their homes. Permains
was first married to Miss King, the second time to Miss Stultz,
daughter of Thomas Stultz. Edward married Charity Stultz,
sister of M. P. Brendell's second wife. Edward lives in the
old house built by his father, and owns all, or a part of the old
homestead. M. P. Brendell lives a short distance east, where
he owns a fine farm. Both are engaged in stock-raising, as
well as being engaged in agricultural pursuits. They are just
in the prime of life, near fifty-five and fifty years, respectively.
Frederick Brendell, the subject of this sketch, was three times
married, but the names or dates we have not at our command.

BENJAMIN BOOHER.

The subject of this sketch is a German by lineage, but an
American by birth, education and life. His grandparents
came from Germany to this country in the latter part of the
seventeenth century, and settled first in the western part of
Pennsylvania, and afterward in Virginia. Their son Jacob,
the father of the subject of this sketch, married Elizabeth Bar -
net in the early part of the present century, and settled in
Sullivan County, East Tennessee. Jacob Booher was the
father of twelve children, of which Benjamin, the subject of
this sketch, is next to the youngest. He is also one of the
three surviving children.

Benjamin Booher was born in Sullivan County, East Ten-
nessee, September 5, 1821, and when he was thirteen years old



230 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

his father moved, with his family, to Montgomery County,
Indiana, and settled two miles east of the present site of Dar-
lington, where many of his descendants yet live, an honored
and well- to-do people.

Much credit is due the Booher families for making the
country in that immediate vicinity what it now is — productive,
beautiful, and possessing all the qualities of a good neighbor-
hood.

Benjamin Booher received his education when there were
not such facilities as we now have. The school building that
he attended was an open log cabin without any floor but the
earth. The benches were made of round logs split once, with
diverging pins in the ends for supports. The chimney occu-
pied cne entire end of the house. The writing desk was a
wide beard laid on sloping pins in a log on ona side of the
cabin: The pens used in writing were made from the la-ge
featheis of geese and buzzards. The teacher and the methods
of teaching were as novel as the house. Such is a brief de-
'script'cL of the school that Mr. Booher attended. Although
his education was limited, yet he so improved it that with
the g(. ^d native talents with which he is blessed he is fully
qualified for the transactions of the ordinary business of life.
He is a good reader, and keeps himself well informed on the
various subjects pertaining to the interest of the common citi-
zen. He is a pioneer, and one of the leading citizens ot
Boone County.

On the 20th day of October, 1842, Mr. Booher was united
in marriage to Miss Margaret Beeler, whose parents came
from East Tennessee to Indiana only a few weeks before Mr.
Booher arrived.

* Mrs. Booher was born in East Tennessee, January 11,
1823. Her grandparents on her father's side came irom
Switzerland ; on her mother's side from Ireland. Mrs. Boo-
her's advantages for an education were similar to those of
Mr. Booher, for they attended the same school. The result ot
their marriage is twelve children, in the following order:



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 231

Martha, Margaret E., William J., single and at home ; Al-
bert L., departed this life at the age of 4 months; Benjamin



Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 18 of 38)