Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 2 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 2 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


above referred to drain it naturally and afford an outlet to the
countless ditches now being put in. The timber of this town-
ship at one time must have been grand, as there are yet stand-
ing some fine specimens of oak. The demand for walnut,
poplar and cherry has about exhausted this once buiintiful
supply. The pioneers of this township had this to contend
with in making their farms. Some of the finest timber was
burned up and destroyed. There was no demand for lumber
at that time. No doubt there has been enough timber burnt
and destroyed to pay for the land at fifty dollars per acre.
Amortg the early settlers of this part of the county we mention
Jas. H. Sample, Geo. Fall, Henry L Bennett, Robert Stephen-
son, A. B. Clark, Hoza Aldridge, Resin V. Garrett, Thos.
Abernathy, Wra. West, David Evans, John Tucker, Jesse
Scott, Hiram Roberts, Jesse Perkins, John Caldwell, Wm. I.
Bennett, Xewton Cassaday, John M. Burns, Hiram Brenton,
Alexander Caldwell, (jeo. Mognett, Jas. Downing, Hugh



BOON E COUNT Y, 1 N DI A N A . 15

AViley, Abner Knotts, J. A. McDaniel, W. II. Evans, John
Evtms, Obid Hardesty, Robert Perkins, F. C. Phillips, Hugh
Sample, John M.Wiley, Frank Downing, Hiram Powell, Jos.
Stephenson, Hugh McDonald, Ozias Robinson, Samuel
Downey, John R. McDonald, E. Swope, Matthew McLear,
Marian Evans and Andrew Burns. Among the early minis-
ters were John Reynolds (Presbyterian), John Bonner, "Wm.
Turner, Wm. Hall, Carson Buckhalter (Christian), and Henry
I. Bennett, who yet resides in the township. The following
Avere among the early school teachers : Jas. H. Sample, Hiram
J. Roberts, Henry I. Bennett, Jas. Mulligan and John Foley.
Mr, Mulligan is yet living in the township and has served as
County Surveyor several years. Clinton Township was first
settled in the year 1834. The first election was held in 1835,
at the house of ]Scwton Cassaday, when a man by the name of
Maxwell was elected the first Justice of the Peace. It is said
that Hugh Sample, son of Jas. H. Sample, was the first child
to see the light of day in this township. He is yet living two
miles west of Elizavilie, on the Thorntown road. This event
occurred In 1837. Among the first marriages were John
Stephenson to Miss Adams, Eris Stephenson to IMargaret
AYylie and John M. Burns to Miss Wylie. The first religious
meeting was held at the house of A. B. Clark; this was in the
year 1835. There was nothing like a permanent society or-
ganized till a year or two later, when the old school Presby-
terian formed a society and held meetings at private houses.
Houses of worship were erected in due course of time. There
are now five churches in the township, viz : Hopewell (Pres-
byterian), in the southwest part of the township on tiie Thorn-
town and Strawtown road, in section 31 ; Mud Creek, or
Salem, is situated on Mud Creek in section 27; there is here,
as well as at Hopewell, a cemetery where many of the pioneers
are buried. The Baptists have a church at Elizavilie, as also
have the Christians. The Presbyterians have a brick church
in the same town. The number of school children in the
township in 1885 was 527; number of school houses, 10.



16 £ARLY IJFE AND TIMES IN

The TliorntowM and Strawtown Roacl passes through this
township from east to west. This lias beon a road or " trail "
for sixty years. The number of voters in 1S86 was 359; the
number of school children in 1884 was oi'T ; number of school
houses, 10; population in 1870 Avas 1,220; in 1880 it was
1,487. The following persons have served as Township
Trustees: JoliU Caldwell, "Wm. AVylic, John M. Burns,
Ephraim Davis, lieuben Eaton, Wm. Brenton, A. C Kern,
J. C. Tomlinson. Mr. A. C. Kern was elected the second time
in 1886 and is now actiufr.



EAGLE TOAVXSHir.

This township occupies the southeast corner of the county.
It contains twenty-six sections, and is drained by Big and
Little Eagle Creeks. They unite near Zionsviile and from
there Big Eagle flows southwest and leaves tlie county near
where the old Sheets mill site was in section ten. Fishback
rises in Worth Township, flows in a southern direction through
Eagle, and leaves the township south of Ivoyalton in section
eight. The Long Branch comes in from Hamilton County on
the east, enters Big Eagle east of Zionsviile and below the old
*' Dye mill dam." Eagle is somewhat undulating along the
:above streams. There is comparatively little waste land how-
ever in the township. As a rule it is well cultivated, and the
soil responds well to the agriculturist. It is nearly sixty-dve
years since it was first settled, and it was here the first settle-
ment was made, possibly excepting Tliorntown, about the year
1823 (jr 1824. Among those who first came to Eagle Town-
ship are tl'.e following: Patrick H. Sullivan, Jacob Sheets,
John Sheets, David Hoover, Austin Davenport, Jesse Daven-
port, Xathan Carr, \Vm. Carr, James McCord, John McCord,
Frederick Lowe, George Dye, Jacob Stone King, John King,
Jas. Harmon, Wm. and John Harmon. Coming soon after
^ve find the names of Washington and Thos. P. Miller, Beuj.



I" . BOON K COUNTY, INDIANA. 17

Co?w, Peter Gregory, Vim. and Jas. Marsh, Daniel and Hugb
G. Larimore. Elijah Cross, the Duzans, Dodsons, Klinglers,
Robert Thomas, James McCoy, John and Xelson Shaw, Wm.
Smith, Daniel Lewis, Elias Bishop, John Ray, Xoah Burkit,.
\Vm. E. Lane, Joseph Bishop, Wm. Bishop, John Shelburne,
Jerry Washburn, L. Tansel, John Yv'olf and Hiram Wolf,
The first elcctien Avas held at the house of David Hoover,.
when Jacob Sheets was elected Justice of the Peace. He was^
succeeded by T. P. Miller, Vim. Smith and Wm. Farlin. Rev.
Jas. McCoy was the first preacher in the township. He was
a Baptist minister, and it was as early as 1825 when he first
preached in the township. His first meetings were held in
the house of David Hoover. The first probate court was held
at the house of David Hoover in November, 1830. David
Hoover was the first clerk and Austin Davenport the first
sheriff of the county. The first mill was built by Jacob Sheets
on Eagle Creek. Geo. Dye built a grist mill on Eagle Creek^
near where Zionsville now stands. There was a small mill
built on "Irishman's Run," near where Vv'm. S. Smith novr
lives. Duzan's mill on p]agle Creek may also be classed
among the early mills of the township, John Burton built a
sawmill on Little Eagle Creek in 1840.

The first marriage in the county was that of Elijah Cross
and Mary Hoover in December, 1831. Mrs. Cross is yet liv-
ing at Zionsville on a part of the farm entered by her father,
David Hoover, in 1824. Mr. Cross died in 18G9, and is buried
at Crown Hill, Indianapolis. Eagle Village for many years
was the voting place, and here it was where most of the bus-
iness was done of the Eagle Creek country, extending into
Hamilton County on the east and Marion County on tlie
'*outh. This continued until the completion of the ludiana-
|>olis & Lafayette Railroad in 1852, when Zionsville sprang
'•p one mile farther west. This was a death knell to Eosfle
\ lUage. It was here that the '* Eagle Tillage Liglit Infantry "
was wont to rally every month. Gapt. J. F. Daugherty was
2



18 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

in comraand. Amoug the early ministers were Jas. McC;oy,
Geo. Dodson, Isaac Cotton, Robert Tliomas, Geo. Dye, Geo.
Boroman, Geo. W. Duzan, Wm. Klingler and AYni. Gcuge,
all now deceased. The principal cemeteries of the township
are one at Eagle Village, one just south of Zionsville, formerly
called the Bishop graveyard, and the third one at Eagle Creek
Baptist Church. The fourth on the Michigan road, near where
the old Bethel Church formerly stood, known as tlie Bethel
graveyard. It is located on the land entered by Austin Dav-
enport. He as well as many other pioneers are buried there.
The first brick house was built on the Michigan road between
Glarksiov,-n and Eagle Village, in the year 1835, by Austin
Davenport. The population of Eagle in 1870 was 2,320, in
1880 it was 2/284, and in 1887 estimated ai 2.500. Number
•of school children in 1884vas 414; number of voters in 1886
was 542 ; number of school houses are 10, two of which are
brick and eight frame. Around the early history of Eagle
■cluster many interesting reminiscences, for it was here the first
cabin was built, the first marriage ceremony said, and the first
mill built. Most of the actors have been summoned to another
world. AYe can not afford to forget those names so dear to
lis all. Such men and women were needed at that time, and
they came and filled their places. It took courage to undergo
such privations and hardships. The young know compara-
tively little of the trials our early settlers underwent. The
following are the early doctors : William N. Duzan, H. G.
Larimore, Warner F. Sampson, S. Vv". Rodman, Jeremiah
Larimcre, N. Crosby, Geo, W. Duzan and Dr. Sellers. The
fi)llowing have served as trustees: W. W. Atchison, A. J.
Sanders, Manson Head, J. D. Swaim, S. M. White, Paul D.
Xieibhardt, T. J, Shelburn, and T. P. Mills, now acting.



\



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 19



HARRISON TOWNSHIP.



This township occupies a place in the south tier of towa-
filiips. It is bounded on the south by Hendricks County, on
the east by Perry Township, on the west by Jack»on Town-
ship, and on the north by Center Township. It contains
uearly twenty-four sections, about one section being taken off
ihe northwest corner. If this corner was full it would be
square, and would contain twenty- five sections. The surface
IS level to a great extent. The headwaters of Eel River have
their source here, flowing out of and through the extensive
prairie known as "Stoner's Prairie." It was thought at one
time that the above lands could not be cultivated, but that
idea has long since exploded and many acres are now profita-
bly tilled. An extensive system of drainage has been intro-
duced with good results. New Brunswick and Milledgeville
are both in Harrison. They each contain several business
houses, churches, postoffices, etc. The population of the
township in 1880 was 1,401; number of school houses, 9;
luimber of school children in 1884 was 414; number of brick
houses, 4 ; number of frames, 5. Harrison was settled about
the year 1834 by the following persons: James Dale,
George Johnson, William Butey, R. M. Cumels, Philip Sicks,
■Caleb Sherley, John Scott, A. Hillis, John ]N[cCormack,
William Abner, William Joseph, Nick. Yount, James Chit-
wood, William and James Edwards, Joseph and George Iveetli,
Fleming Dickerson, Beunet Cline, Jacob Huff, Geo. Walters,
Jos. Shepherd, Nathaniel Scott, G. W. Scott, Geo. Sheeks, J.
Ingram, Noah Chitwood, Seth Goodwin, Daniel Turner, Jacob
Dinsraore. J. B. Fear, Daniel Logan, W. II. Crose, Wm.
Britton, the Shirleys. The fir.st election was held at the cabin
of W. Logan in 1836, when Wm. Buttery was elected Justice
^)f the Peace. Among the early marriages were Wm. John-
son to Isabella Dale, G. T. Buttery to Barbara Soott, and
Jeremiah Craven to Miss James. The first land entered v/as



20 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IX

bv James S. Dale, who also built the first cabin. The fiisi
death was the wife of David James in March, 1837. The fijst
settlers of Harrison Township had many disadvantages to
contend with. The surface of the land was covered with
water, and where there was no prairie a heavy growth of tim-
ber and brush confronted them, and now and then a den of
rattlesnakes chimed in to make music for them. Here, as well
as in other townships, the first meetings were held in priv-
ate houses. The first meeting was held at the house of Geo.
H. Johnson in 1835, where a few pioneers gathered to hear a
Baptist minister preach. Early meetings were also held at
the house of Geo. Sheeks. Soon after a log house was built,
which saw its day and then gave way to a more modern struct-
ure. Harrison Township now contains several frame edifices
of different orders, where the citizens gather to hear the gos-
pel preached. The population of Harrison in 1870 was 1,209 ;
in 1880 it was 1,401. The number of voters in 1886 was 332.
The following have served as Trustees : J. M. Shaw, Samp-
son Sheeks, W. H. Clements, G. \V. Scott, Ora Knowlton^
Jas. H. Pinnell, M. P. Higgins, W. H. Ragsdale, H. C. Ulin,
J. S. Black, J. H. Acton, John Huffman, and Samuel Scott.
now acting, was elected April. 1886.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP.

This township occupies the southwest corner of the county.
It is bounded on the south by Hendricks County, on the west
by Montgomery County, on the north by Jefferson Township^
and on the east by Harrison and Center Townships. Itcontaius
a little less than forty-eight sections, being a little deficient at
the northeast corner, Jackson Township is drained by Eel
River and Raccoon Creek, the former leaving the county and
entering Hendricks County at the south line of section eleven,
a short distance southeast of Jamestown. Raccoon Creek
flows in a southwestern direction, leaving the township in



j BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 21

section thirty-one. near where the Indiana, Bloomingtou &
Western Railroad enters the county of Montgomery, The
above railroad enters Jackson Township at the south line on
section eleven, passing through Jamestown, bearing to the
north of west, and leaving rhe county and township in section
thirty-one. AYithout doubt, Jackson is one of the best town-
ships in the county. The land along the above streams can
be excelled in no place, much less in Boone County. Good
husbandry is noticeable in every direction, brought about by
}x well-directed system of drainage. Jackson originally was
the best timbered township in the county, if one may judge
from what is yet standing and from stumps of trees cut down —
timber of the most valuable kind — such as walnut, poplar,
■oak, etc. There is yet (in 188C) standing on the farm of Mrs.
Ashley, three miles northwest of Jamestown, one of the finest
poplar groves In the state. It is a grand sight to behold those
monarchs of the forest. But the ax is, or soon will be, whet-
ted that will lay them low, as well as others of the same kind.
A stump of a poplar tree, on the farm of \Y. H. Coombs,
measures nine ^eet. This tree, when standing, was said to be
one of the finest S2)ecimens of its kind in the township. The
proposed Anderson & St. Louis Railroad will, if ever finished,
pass through Jackson Township in a southwesterly direction,
entering at section eighteen, passing through Advance, and
leaving the county and township at section thirty. James-
town, one of the earliest settled places in the county, is, and
has been for years, the principal trading point in the town-
ship, as well as tlie voting precinct, a separate account of
which wiil be found in another part of this work, under the
head of '"' Sketch of Jamestown." Advance, mentioned as
being located on the Anderson & St. Louis Railroad, is a
voting place, and contains several business houses, postofiice,
■churcii, etc. Although a new place, it has quite a local trade,
and, on the com})letion of the railroad, will be a place of some
importance. It is located in the northern part of the town-
*{hip, midway between the east and west lines, and is six miles



22 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN '

due north of Jamestown. Jackson Township was settled
about the year 1828. Amonsr the first to arrive, we find tric
following: Young Hughs, Lewis Dewees, Jolin and Washing-
ton Gibson, William Farlow, Isaac Miller, David Bush, Johrt
Porter, Robert Davis, Andrew Hudson, Aiijah Brown, Sam^
uel Jessie, Andrew Long, George and William Walters, Wil-
liam White, Hiram Young, Jacob Johns, and John Whitley.
This pioneer band were joined a few years later by the follow'
ing persons : The Headys, Niceleys, Enimerts, John Mcl^ean^
John T. Hurt, John Crisman, John Cunningham, Mieken
Hurt, Thomas Caldwell, Samuel Miller, James Davis, Robert
Walker, Vv'ilJiam Duncan, Isaac M. Shelly, Anderson Trotter^
John Airhart, Henry Airhart, Isaac H. Smith, W. H. Coombs^
S. P. Dewees, W. B. Gibson, Dr. George L. Burke, Samuel
Penry, Samuel Cunningham, Elisha Jackson, Henry B. Myers,
W. W. Emmet, and the Galvins,

George Walker, one of the earliest ministers, held meeting^
at the house of John Porter, and it is said this was the first
religious meeting held in Jackson Township. Mr. Walker
was a Baptist. The first house erected was by the Methodists^
in 1832, called Brown's Chapel, named in honor of the late
Thomas Brown. There are now many neat and well-located
houses of worship throughout the township. The school-
houses are also good indicators of thrift and progression. Na
township has more advancement than this in every direction.
The vast forest has given way to well-cultivated fields. Ther
people now living in Jackson have every reason to be proud
of their homes. It has taken labor to bring about the above
results. The bauds that felled the trees and cleared the field*
are folded in rest. Their graves may be seen in ditTerent
parts of the township. A few remain among us.

The population of Jackson Township in 1870 was l,200r
In 1880 it was 1,162. The number of voters in 1880 wa*
757. Number of school children in 1884 was 726. The school
houses number fifteen, of which nine are brick and six frame.

The following have served as Trustees : Eli Miller, James



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 2J^

Saridliu, James H. Kerby, F. C. Galespie, John McLain^
Henry Airhart, J. P. Long, W. S. Laferty, W. H. Hostetter,
G. W. Shockly, F. C. Gilesby, and Marion Porter, now serv-
ing, elected April, 1886.

JEFFERSON TOVrNSHIP.

This township occupies a place in the west tier of town-
ships. It is bounded on the south by Jackson, on the west
by Montgomery County, on the north by Sugar Creek and
Washington Townships, and on the west by Center. A part
of it was originally embraced in the Indianreserve. Jefferson
contains about forty-six sections, two sections and a half out
of the northeast corner makes that much less than forty-eight
square sections. The township is drained by Wolf Creek and
Walnut fork of Sugar Creek. The former flows ia a north-
western direction entering Sugar Creek Township. The latter
flows west, leaving the township at section thirty, entering
Montgomery County near the town of Shannondale. Dover,
near the center, is now and has been for years the voting place
and trading point in Jefferson. The trade is, however, divided
between Lebanon, Thorntown and Shannondale. To say the
township as a rule is well cultivated would not be saying too
rauch. Naturally of good soil, assisted by good husbandry.
good crops are annually gathered, unless drouth or wet weather
preventing.

It was first settled about the year 1829, and in the fall of
that year James Scott entered the first land. Next came Wm.
Young. In 1830 Michael I). Campbell, Alle Lane, Ed. (Jox,
Wra. Hill, John G. Thompson, Lewis Denny, Wm. i\I. Mc-
Burrows, Abraham Utter, R. Cox, Clayburn Cain. A little
later came -the Cald wells, Taylors, John Hill, Adam Kern,
John Stephenson, Wm. Darrough, Thos. M. Burris, Sarnuei
Moore, Gid. Jackson, Rual Jackson, Sampson Bowen, Erskins,
Threilkelds, Jas. A. Thompson, James Davis, Irwins, Samuel
HoUingsworth. Later came Nathan Cory, Manial Heistand,



24 EAEI.Y LIFE AND TIMES IX

the Bowtnaiis, Styhes, Wm. Sanfoid, Jesse Jackson, Vs'.G.
Cory, La FoUatts, ^Matthew Harris, Elias Garner, J. II. Potts,
Georg(; F. Campbell, Madison Erskin, M. B, Porter, "\^^ W.
Alexander, David Caldwell, Elijah ]SI. Denny.

Clayburn Young conducted the first religious services at his
brother's house (\Ym. Young) in the year 1831. For many
years there was no church here, and the meetings were held at
tlie private houses of the early settlers. There are now many
good, commodious edifices located in various ])laces in tVie
township. A separate account vv'ill be given in another part
of this work.

William Young was the first justice elected in the town-
ship. The first election was held at the house of Michael D.
Campbell, in the spring of 1833, at which time William Mc-
Burrows was elected Justice of the Peace. The population of
the township in 1870 was 1,675, in 1880 it was 1,998. Num-
ber of school houses in 1884:, 13; number of school children
in 1884, l,09o; number of voters in 1886, o60. The Indian-
apolis, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad crosses t!ie northeast
corner of the township, or rather the corners, first on one
corner and tiien a short distance across the southwest corner
of Washington then across another corner of Jefferson, per-
haps not more than a mile in length in the townshij), entering
Sugar Creek at the extreme southeast corner.

The following persons have served as township trustees:
James H. P^tts, Manial Hustand, J. V.Young, J. M. Erskin,
Wm. A. Harvey, Josepli A. Campbell, F. M. La Follett, Lee
H. Miles, and George T. Young, elected April, 18SG.

MARIOX TOWNSHIP.

Marion Township occupies the north corner of the County.
It is bounded on the east by Hamilton County, on the south
by Union, on the west by Clinton Township and on the north
by Clinton County. It contains forty-six sections. It is
<lrained bv the headwaters of Big Eu<j;le flowing south,



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 25

leaving the township at section tsventy-three, wlsere it enters
Union Township. The Michigan road passes throngh the
•entire. township, bearing to the northwest, entering at the
south side midway of the township, leaving at the northwest
corner, where it enters Clinton County. The land is fully up
to the average of other sister townships, and in fact in any
■other improvements, such as ditching, buildings, roads, sch.ool
houses, etc. Big Springs, on the line between Marion and
Union, is the principal trading place and postoffice, and has
been for many years. The township originally was covered
•with the finest growth of timber, and that of the best and
most valuable kinds, such as poplar, oak, walnut and ash.
The Air Line Railroad cuts off a little corner at the extreme
northeast, and where Terhune, a new town, is located. It
is a trading place, also containing a postoffice and other
mechanical shops, stores, etc. Kimberlain and Slab Town
are both small villages. The latter on the Michigan Road, in
the south part of the townsliip. Among the first to move in
this township were Edward Jackson and Caleb Richardson,
who came in 1831, settled on Big Eagle, followed soon after
by William and John Parr. Alfred Srite, William Lane and
Lewis Harris settled in the south part of the township in
1833. In the spring of 1834 came Mr. Turpin, John Burns,
Milton Hickson. Settled in 1835, Joseph McCoy, .John
Runo. A little later came the Stephensons. Jacob Johns,
followed by Samuel Evans, Jesse_ _Ba.k&C? Joseph Kimbal,
Robert McNulty, John Wright, John Beard, John King,
Samuel Moore, John ]Moore, John ^^'right, James Moore,
Smith Castor, Robert Bell, Richard Cornell, Samuel Meyers.
Perhaps the first school taught in Marion was in the winter
•of 1833. In the year 1836 a log school house was built near
Big Springs, and from that time until this the school matters
have moved along, steadily progressing, until now beautiful
and well arranged houses dot the township, happy, well clad
children flocking to school in every direction, with books,
slates and other necessary school outfit. In 1833 a few strag-



26 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

ling urchins might have been seen trudging through the snow
to the little log house in the woods, a goose quill and a spelling-
book — a complete supply of the then needed equipments
Marion has made similar progress in other directions as well-
Good roads have taken the place of the blazed paths ; the wild
waters are confined to ditches ; the few truck patches have-
given way to well cultivated fields that spread out in every
direction.

The population of Marion in the year 1870, was 1,786 ; iiv
1880 it was 2,307. Number of voters in 1886 was 726; num-
ber of school children in 1885 was 899; number of school
houses thirteen. The following have served as Trustees:;
Richard Cornell, P. E. McNeal, James A. Richardson, Joseph
N. Sample, J. A. J. Sims, Robert Bell, William Bell, W. F.
Cobb and Joslah Stevenson, now acting, elected April, 1886,

PERRY TOWNSHIP.

This is the smallest township in the county. It contains^
less than twenty sections, being a little deficient at the north-
west corner to make it full twenty sections. It is bounded od
the west by Harrison Township, on the south by Hendricks
County, on the east by Eagle and Worth Townships, and on
the north by Center Township. The principal water course-



Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 2 of 38)