Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 4 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 4 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


way olf was Prairie Creek ; thus the name was evolved in his
mind — he shouted " Lt^bauon." The name was fixed. Leb-
anon it has henceforth been.

In the year 18G2 Abner H. Longlev, the first settler, located
in Lebanon, and erected a one-room log cabin on lot No. 1,
block Xo. IG, where the marble front building now stands.
In the summer time, in front of his round-log cabin, he set
posts in the ground, and of the green leafy boughs of the trees
he constructed a portico, such only as it was. Such was I^eb-



BOONE COCXTY, INDIANA. 39

anon's beginning. Then railroads, gravel roads, telegraph?,
telephones, gas, and coal " ile " were uncivilized and uuthought-
of iristitutions. Then cities were not built by electricity nor
eas; in most instances their g-rowth was slow. To clear awav
the great forest which stood where Lebanon now " booms "
was no easy task. To drain the willow ponds, then within
the limits of the present city, was no small job of work ; yet
Lebanon did grow — or rather, it has evolved, or been made
to evolve. The v.-onder is, considering its adverse environ-
ments, that it has accomplished as much as it has: but it was
the county seat, and it had to become something. The county
could not exist without the county seat. It was the capitol of
the "State of Boone," and grow it must, otherwise it might
have become a "distressed" farm, with drain tile privileges.

In 1840, when the writer first visited Lebanon, the city
consisted of a few frame buildings, then mostly surrounding
the public square. In a wet time the streets were, in many
places, impassable. The sidewalks around the square were
made by blocks of wood sawed off and set upon end, and upon
these blocks planks were laid lengthwise of the walk, and in a
time* of high water these became afloat, and passing afoot was
not desirable; neither were swimming privileges very good —
the pedestrian could often float. The walls of the first brick
court-house were up in 1840, but the house then was not fin-
ished. It stood where the court-house now stands, the new
house being erected in 1856. To "outside barbarians" Leba-
non, even in 1856, had no great promise of being anything
more than a dull, unattractive town. The first railway (/. e.
the iron one) was completed tiirough the city in 1852. This,
for the city and county, v.-as a hopeful institution, for, in places,
it was above high tide. In grovvth Lebanon never has liad
any sensational "boom," though it has what might be called
a good and convenient court-house, also an excellent jail, sev-
eral convenient and substantial church edifices, and an excel-
lerit opera building, besides the usual number of good business
buildings for a city of its size, and quite a number of fine and



40 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN'

tasteful mansions, wliile the fri-eater number of dwellings are
common to verv humble. It also has two fiourintr mills —
one of these extra in finish and machinery. It has two lum-
ber dressing and planing factories, one plow-handle factory,
two common school buildings, and another one to be erected
In 1887. ]Many of the streets are either macadamized or
graveled. The sideways of the streets are average good. The
population now is estimated at 4,000; and, in brief, it is
now a business center for the whole county, and docs as much
trade and business as any city of its size in the state. This
fact is fairly conceded by strangers, as well as our own citizens.
It never has been much involved in debt and is mainly clear
from debt at this time. Hence its people may well commend
it as a city of promising and prospective growth and prosper-
ity, while its prospf^ct is only to have a healthful and steady
growth ; and while it boasts no ancient cedars, nor a rapid
Jordan, it can fairly boast of being surrounded by and occu-
pying the center of one of the most desirable counties of soil
for agricultural purposes in the state. Such is Lebanon and
its environments.

The ^lidland Railroad was finished to Lebanon in Janu-
ary, 1887. Amonor the earlv citizens of Lebanon were, A. H.
Longley, John Patterson, William Smith, David Hoover.
James Ricley was the first tailor, A. H. Shej)pard the second.
Joseph Hocker was the first attorney. Soon after Jacob Angle
■came; he was the second attorney, and Stephen Xeal the third.
The early pliyslcians were, McConnaha, Me Workman, ^y. X.
Simpkins, John J. Xesbitt, and soon after, Dr. A. J. Porter.
The first merchants were, William Zion, John J-^orsyth. The ^
first tavern keepers, John Patterson, William Smith, A. H,
Sheppard. Mr. Olive made hats in an early day.

Stephen X'eal.

Mr. Xeal has said so mucli about Lebanon, and said it so
■well, that we have little to add. Every citizen of the county
must be justly proud of the county seat. It now ranks among
the average county seats in the state, and is ra})idly advancing



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 41

in every way. At this writiu;; (18S7) preparations are being

made to bora for natural g'iS, and perhaps before this is in

print the fluracs from a well may light up the city. In

,• December, 18SG, the city was first lit by raanufacturod gas,

, and it is one of the many improvements made recently.

.' The town was incorporated in 1853, by an act of the Leg-

j islature the winter previous; but, as time advanced, its clothes
got too short for it, and in 1875 it was incorporated as a city,
with the followino officers servinc; as mavors, lor it was first
organized up to 1886 : Samuel L. Hamilton, T. W. Lockhart,
W. C. Gerrard, J. L. Pierce, J. C. Laughlin, J. M. Kelsy.
The following have served as clerks: W. A. Zion, Charles E. v
Willson, C. Copeland, C. P. Kern, W. O. Daruall. Treasur-
er^': W. H. Richey, J. M. Conyears. Marshals: Jesse Per-
kins, J. W. Herrod, O. C. Witt, W. A. Mellett, F. Laugher.
Assessors: Lysander Darnall, H. A. Shultz. The following
Lave served as Councilmen : From the first ward, from 187v5
to 1886— A. O. Miller, A. C. Daily, Jesse Perkins, J. L. Hall,
L. S. Lakin, H. C. Brush, Charles Daily, Jesse Neff, A. J.
Sanders, F. M. Kersy, J. P. McCorckle. From the second
ward — J. R. Ailsworth, James Males, F. M. Busby, Elias W.
Brown, J. W. Garner, Granville Hutch ings, James Combs,
James Weed, Peter Cox, Patrick Ryan, H. C. Ulin, Jasper J.
Cory, D. A. Rice. From the third ward — Sol. Witt, Jasper
Kelsy, John L. Crane, M. C. Kleiser, J. A. Alexand'.-r,
Wes. Lane, C. X. Kellogg, William L. Higgins, W. T. Hoo-
len, Jacob Byerly, J. A. Brown.

THOR^'TO^VN.

No one could write up the early events of the county and
forget the above town, for it is located on historic ground.
Not only was it here that the first settlement took place by
the whites, but it was the early home and scenes of the red
man and the French trader and trappers for perhaps near one
hundred years. Here the Indian built his hut; here tlie



42 EARI.Y LIFI AND TIM fS IN

braves wooed their dusky raatet', and the war dance and songs
were indnlgcd in for years before the whites carae to make a
settlement. Reader, let us go back sixty years. What dc
we find — here and there a cabin or a vacated wigwam, loft by
the retreating Indians. About this time a few hardy pioneers
settled on Sugar Creek, where the now thriving town stands.
Slowly but surely it has advanced — first the cabin, then the
hewed log house, then the frame and finally the brick mansion
has come to take the place of those rude structures. It has
taken time to bring about these changes. Many have fallen by
the way. But few if any now remain who Mere actors in the
first settlement of Thorntown. ^yhen the railroad was com-
pleted here it was the signal for general improvement, and its
future became a fixed fact. Up to that time it was the best
trading point in the county, outrivaling tlie county seat.
Beautifully located on Sugar Creek, on one of the best sites in
the state, amidst one of the finest countries in the state, it
could not be less than a good town. With its natural advan-
tages it at once and all the time takes rank among the towns
of the great State of Indiana. Thorntown is known far and
wide as one of the healthiest places, as well as the most desira-
ble to live in, to be found anywhere. From its tew cabins of
1829, it has grown to be a little city of 1,500 inhabitants —
industrious, intelligent, thorough-going citizens. The people
are justly proud of their place, with its bright past; its future
is no less prosperous. At this writing, February, 1 ;-<87, prepara-
tions are being made to dig for natural gas, which is now agitat-
ing the people in our state. Thorntown v.-as the first in our
county to move in this direction. J jet us hope her most sanguine
expectations may be more than realized, and that light may
soon come to them. Following- will be found a letter to the
Lebanon Patriot, written December, 1886, which will give
some very interesting facts in regard to Thorntown and
vicinity, which will account for this seeming short article.

'* This thriving little city is the oldest in Boone County. In
the year 1S'21 a settlement was commcmccd in this vicinity.



boo:ne cou^'TY, Indiana. 43

and in 1831 the town was surveyed and platted by one Cor-
nelius Westfall. As far back as 1719 there was an established
French and Indian trading post at this point. From the year
1840 to 1875 there was not a licensed liquor establishment in
the place, and spirits could only be had at the drug stores.

"The tirst church (Presbytpriau) was' organized in 1831^
with Clayborn Young as its minister. The first Sabbath-
school was organized in 1834. llufils A. Lockwood, of whom
the Indianapolis Ncics recently gave an interesting sketchy
was the first attorney at law in the town. Relatives of this
once famous aud eccentric lawyer are still living here. The
tirst school house was built in 1834, and was undoubtedly the
first school house in the county. To-day Thorntown has one
of the finest aud best arranged schools in the state, with 375-
pupils. Prof. Linnius Baldwin, of Hamilton County, is the
present principal, with the following corj)s of efficient teachers i
H. C. Heal, Xelson Hetherington, Frank Moore, Mrs. Mary
Gaddis, Miss Kate Beck, Miss Stella Horner aud Miss Mattio
Matthews. As above stated, the first church organized was
the Presbyterian. This church has a membership of about
200, with llev. Samuel Sawyer as its minister. The Method-
ist Episcopal Church has a membership of about 375. Its-
pastor is Rev. Isaac Dale, of La Porte. The Baptist Church
has nearly 100 members at present. This church has no regu-
lar minister. The Christian Church has a membership ot^
about 70. It also has no regular pastor. The secret societies
are also well represented : Thorntown Lodge No. 113, F. & A.
31., was organized in 1852, and to-day has a membership of 85.
Osceola Lodge Xo. 173, I. O. O. F., was organized in 185&
and at present has a membership of 85. This order has a
beautiful hall, which it erected in the year 1873, at a cost of
§5,000. Moriah Encampment No. 83 has 60 members. Eden.
Lodge No. 149, Degree of Rebecca, ha< 50 members. Less-
than two years ago, through the etlurts of a few of our young
men, a Knights of Pythias Lodge was instituted here, with a
membership of about 30. The growth of this order has been



44 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IX

phenomenal. To-day tlipy have over 100 members, nearly all
young men. This order has suffered a loss of one member
(Mr. Frank Morton) since its organization. They have a neat
and comfortable hall, recently fitted up, and are in an exceed-
ingly prosperous condition. The P. E. Q. Fraternity, com-
posed entirely of ladies, was organized in 1885. Nothing can
be learned regarding this society, as the members will not even
give the meaning of the mystic letters representing t'neir
order. The Grand Army of the Republic' also have a neat
hall and have about 50 members. The Knights of Labor
have an organization here, but we fail to get any particulars
regarding their order.

"The first merchant in Thorntown was C. H. Baidridge,
who opened up a small mercliandise store in the year 1832.
Of our present business interest we may mention the following :
Dry goods merchants — A. Mossier, Statesman tt Son, James
L. Sailors and Harris & Gamso. Grocers — Wm. Curry, W.
Matthews & Co., Charles Johnson, A. S. Stall, J. T. McKim,

Dunbar, Barker & Barker, Daniel Hutchings and ]Mrs.

Thomas Maiden. Hardware and agricultural implements —
O. B. Eons & Co., ^y. S. Hall and John Y. Young & Sou.
Druggists — W. C. Burk, James Hanna, T. E. Bradshaw and
Oeo. Coulson. Watchmakers and jewelers — Chas. E. Wasson,
Robert A. Stall and Sam Sohl. Boots and shoes — Hanna
Brothers, Charles Snyder and H. W. Henderson. Millinery —
Mrs. Allie Shilling and M. A. & L. E. Cheeks. Bankers-
John Xiven & Co. Our physicians are A. Dunnington, V/m.
F. Curryer, ^L H. Rose, s'. W. Hawke, J. A. Utter, D. B.
Davis and E. L. Brown. The legal profession is ably repre-
sented by the following gentlemen : P. H. Dutch, Samuel M.
Burk and Abner Y. Austin. Solomon Sharp, L. B. Moore
and M. ^I. McDowell are the gentlemen who dcjil out justice
to suit the occasion. Our meat markets are operated by Dan
B. Buser, Charles Buser and Albert Jaques. Witt & Kleiser
are proprietors of the steam roller flouring mills. The steam
iiawmills are owned by Moses Hardin. Photographers — M.



BOOXE COUNTY, INDIANA. 45

A. Keeler and Fred Hoifman. N. W. Weakly has for twenty-
five yearf - , and is still, managing the interests of the ''Big
Four" at this place. Our corporation affairs are managed by
the following gentlemen : City Board, A. C. Clark, M. C.
Moore and A. S. Stahl ; Clerk, T. E. Bradshaw ; Treasurer,
James Hanna; Marshal, Green McDaniel ; Township Trustee,
Isaac Wilson. In conclusion we will say that we have a
beautiful little city and by far the prettiest girls of any town
in the state." AVe must not forget the Argus, so long and ably
published by F. B. Rose. It speaks for itself every week, and
is hailed with delight every issue, by its hundreds of readers.
It is one of the fixed institutions of the lively little city of
Thorntown. Long may it live.

JAMESTOWN.

No town in Boone County is situated in a more beautiful
country than the above, located near the south line of Jackson
Township, also the county line adjoining Hendricks County,
on the Indiana, Bloomingcon & Western Railroad, also on the
State Road leading from Indianapolis to Crawfordsville, on the
west bank of Eel River. It is about twelve miles southwest of
Lebanon. Jamestown has an interesting history, for it was
here one of the first settlements was made, away back at least
to 1826 or 1827. The town was perhaps laid out in 1832, by
James Mattock and John Gibson, two worthy pioneers. It was
Mr. Gibson who first built his rude cabin here in 1829. From
that time to this Jamestown has survived, and is now one of
the principal trading points in the county, commanding a large
trade from the adjoining counties of Hendricks and Montgom-
ery. From this little humble cabin in the woods Jamestown
has grown to a thriving town of fifteen hundred inhabitants.
On the completion of the railroad here tlio town began to
grow rapidly; many substantial buildings have been erected;
a good M. E. Church of brick, which is a credit to the people
in Jamestown and vicinitv. The same might be said as to the



46 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

Ohristian Ciiurch here, also of brick, well loeated and of good
size. Martin's mill is one of theiixed institutions of the place.
We must not forget the school building, one of the tiuost as
well as best the located in county or state. There is ni)
better evidence of a people's industry and thrift than a good
school house. The Trotter's Grove adjoining the town on
the northeast is one of the loveliest to be found any-
where. Nature has lavished her gifts on this beautiful grove,
where annual gatherings are held. Good stores and many
tasteful residences adorn the town, which speak out in tones
not to be misunderstood by those visiting this ancient town.
Following will be found a sketch written for the Pioneer De-
cember 18, 18S6, which will be read with interest.

AVe must not forget the Jamesiowii Tribune, edited by the
old veteran, George Snyder, who so long and well has man-
aged it. It is well gotten up, issued weekly, and its appear-
ance every Thursday is hailed with delight. Long may this
good old man live to edit the Tribune. The Jamestown band
is a credit to the town. Its members are a wide-awake set of
young men, and the notes of their band are always received
well by the people hereabouts.

"The town of Jamestown was laid out about the year 1832,
by James Mallock and John Gibson — John Gibson was the
father of G. W. Gibson, one of the present business citizens.
The first store was opened by Samuel Hughes on the north
side of Main street. John Galvin, some few years after, sold
goods on the corner now occupied by J. H. Camplin & Son,
This place being located on the State Road was a town of great
importance during the day of stages. Having several hotels
and livery stables it was made a central point, and consequently
the changes of coach horses. It is now situated on the Indiana,
Bloomington & Western Railroad, twenty-seven miles west of
Indianapolis, this being built about 1870. Has improved
considerable since that time, reaching a population of nearly
1,100, but has labored under several difficulties and misfor-
tunes, there being three large fires, viz: September 5, 1876



BOONE County, Indiana. 47

which origiuated in a saloon, burning nearly all the princi}>al
business rooms and a large hotel, leaving the town in a rather
critical condition, but by some few determined citizens it'was
mostly rebuilt; on the morning of Xovcmber 10, 1880, another
fire started iu the wareroom of a drug store on South Main street
and l>urned seven of the best business rooms, and September
11, 1883, another o?ie, burning seven large rooms. Since then
seven have been erected. No doubt in a year or so all the
vacant lots will have as good or better rooms and be in a more
prosperous condition than heretofore. But labor under all these
fires has somewhat kept up the necessary buildings for
business occupancy.

The town is surrounded by as good country and as in-
telligent, industrious farmers as could be asked, and with all
this and our energetic citizens there is no reason why it shall
not rise to as good a point as any in the county. The place at
one time had a vei-y hard name, about the time of the building
of the Indiana, Bloomiugton & Western Railroad, one or two
men being murdered by the gang who worked on the road;
also at that time there were several places of disreputable char-
acter, several saloons, which most certainly was the cause.
But now we have as quiet and peacable a town as is any-
where to be found. Still the bad name hangs over us, by
parties who are not visitors here. We have two churches —
Christian Church, under the pastoral charge of Elder Pritch-
ard, and M. E. Church, under the pastoral charge of Rev. E.
W. Lawhon.

The high school, which building was erected in 1873, is
most certainly in a prosperous condition under the principal-
ship of Prof P. V. Voris ; the faculty are as follows : Academic
department, Prof. Voris; Preparatory, Prof Storm ; Interme-
diate, Miss Effie Gibson ; Primary, Mrs. Belle Emmons. Our
oldest settlers are G. W. Gibson, who has been a citizen for
fifty-eight years, and Dr. G. L. Burk, who has been here for
forty-six years. The gentlemen who look after the physical
welfare of our citizens are Dr. G. L. Burk, A. M. Finch, S. J.



48 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

Banta, W. S. Heady, G. M. Van Arsdeli and F. M. Austin.
The legal fraternity is ably represented by W. J. Darnall and
D. C. Brackney. We have four secret societies. I. O. O. F.^
No. 222, founded June 20, 1861, witli a membership of nearly
one hundred ; F. A. M., -with a good membership and in pros-
perous condition; G. A. R., No. 162, with a membership of
seventy-five; and Knights of Labor.

The amount of business done in Jamestown is exceedingly
large. Emmons & Richmond are doing a large business^
working about tifteeu hands at their sawmill and from live to
ten teams hauling logs; have the last year shipped tifteen cars
of walnut lumber, and for contract on railroad works bills
averaged at least five cars a week During the autumn months
they sawed about 75,000 feet of quartering out, which is used
as finisliiug lumber. This is done only by mills which stand
as first-class. This firm deserves great praise for their energy
and employment of so many laborers, which has been an aid to
many families. In the mercantile department are J. H. Camp-
lin & Sou, John H. Cline, W. T. Free, C. K. Slonnegar,
W. H. Orear & Co., Ihomas B. Williamson, J. H. Steele,
Thomas Porter, J. T. Burhop, S, B. Summerville and G.
W. McKeehan. The Eel River Mills are running night
and day in order to keep up with orders for flour and
feed. This mill is managed by Wesley Martin & Sons.
Mr. Martin, Senior, was our miller in an early day, re-
moving from this county to Minnesota, and returniug only a
short time since. Grose & Hendricks are our liverymen. John
Huber has been running a restaurant here for the last twenty
years. Peter Smith operates a tile factory. Besides supply-
ing the home market with his products he has shipped several
car loads to Illinois during the past summer. Our wagon
factory is conducted by Richard Miller, who also does carriage
painting and ironing."



#






w-




^"



'i-'-'%!§j0 ^^^^':i



'■-^^



m






SAMUEL RODEFER.



i



BOOXE COU^sTY, INDIANA. 49

ZIONSVILLE.

This is comparatively a new place, dating back only lo
1852, on the completion of the Indianapolis, Cincinnati &
Lafayette Railroad. It was laid out on the land of the late
Elijah Cross, just below and west of where Big and Little
Eagle Creeks unite. It M-as named after the late AYilliam v
Zion, of Lebanon. It is fourteen miles from Indianapolis
and about the same distance from Lebanon, and one mile from
the south line of Boone County, on the Indianapolis, Cincin-
nati & Lafayette Hailroad. Among the first merchants were
John Vaughn, John Smith, Daugherty & Nichols, B. M.
Gregory; followed soon after by William Yoh, Smith &
White, W. H. Neuhouse, B. F. Coldwolader, B. W. Harden,
shoe dealer; J. ]NL Bradly, drugs: C. H. Tingle and J. M.
Biggers, groceries; Croplen &: Mills, undertaker.-? ; ]\L S.
Anderson, wagon maker; Perrell <& Perrell, drugs; attorneys
— Jesse Smith, H. D. Sterrett, M. M. Riggins, John A. Pock
and C. N. Beamer (the last two now practicing) ; physicians —
Drs. S. W. Rodman, Samuel Hardy, Jones, N. Crosby, M. S.
Anderson, Jeremiah Larimore, F. Long, G. W. Duzan, H. T.
Cotton ; shoemakers — (have been) A.W. Larimore, H. Daven-
port, John Tull, B. W. Harden, John Martz ; dentist — J. O.
Hurst. The first hotel was kept by John Miller. John
Holmes built an extensive grist-mill here in 1851; it was
afterwards converted into a distillery, and operated as such u
short time, when it went down. Among the postmasters
have been S. W. Rodman, P. Anderson, Mary May, William
Thompson, James W. Blake, W. F. Morgan, G. F. Essex,
William McGuire, R. Beard. Monument dealer — Fronk
Alford; harness makers — A. W. Hopkins, William Harden;

bankers — P. Anderson, S. H. Hardy, Mark Simpson,

Alford. The old Dye mill was built hero at an early day, but
is now no more. M. S. Davenport operated a tan-yard here

4



50 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

soon after the town was started. An excellent school house
was built here about the year 1860; it is one of the finest in
the county, pleasantly located on the hill west, overlooking
the town, Ziousville contains many handsome residences and
business houses, and is the center of a good country, conse-
quently has a fine trade in all the various departments. The
Zionsville Times, now published by Col. Gait, is one of the
best papers in the county, recently enlarged to an eight-page
paper, wide-awake in its make up, has a good circulation and
is ably edited. Zionsville is the home of Mrs. Polly Cross,
the first bride in Boone County, in 1834. To the writer
Zionsville and vicinity has a peculiar interest. There he learned
to swim and fish in the classic waters of Eagle; first went to
mill and learned to wait his "turn ;" and, more than all, there
is an interest attached around the beautiful little cemetery, just



Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 4 of 38)