Samuel Harden.

Early life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... online

. (page 5 of 38)
Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 5 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


south. Here my parents, two sisters and a brother "quietly
sleep, their toils forever done."

Zionsville is also the home of B. M. Gregory, Manson
Head, Joseph B. Pitzer, Martin Conrad, Dr. W. D. Starkey,
Dr. H. T. Cotton, M. S. Davenport, Nathaniel Swairn and
Dr. G. W. Duzan, all more or less public men and well known
throughout the county.

Following will be found a sketch of Zionsville, written for
the Patriot, of Lebanon, dated December 18, 1886, which will
doubtless be read with interest by the people of Boone County :

" Zionsville ranks third in the county as to population and
commercial enterprise, and is situated in the southeastern cor-
ner of the county, one and a half miles from the Marion County
line and one mile from the Hamilton County line. The orig-
inal plat of the town was laid out in the year 1852 by William
Zion and Elijah Cross, and consisted in nine blocks containing
eighty-one lots. The name "Zionsville" was given to the
town in honor of William Zion, who was the principal founder.
The first dwelling house within the original plat was built by
John Miller, on lot number two, block number eight, aad was



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 51

occupied by hijnself and family as a boarding-house or hotel.
The same building still does service as a dwelling house, but
has been removed to the west end of the same lot, immediately
north, across the street from the Christian Church. The first
store was conducted by Vaughn & Wiley in a two-story frame
building situated on the same lot where the M. S. Anderson
wagon works are uov.' located. From the time these first
buildings were erected the town has steadily increased in en-
terprise and population until it has become one among the
best business points in the county aud has accumulated a ]>op-
ulation of about eleven liundred persons. There are but few
towns of the size in the state that can boast of better school
buildings and school facilities and none that have naturally a
more beautiful location for school buildings or town either.
There are four churches in the town, Methodist, Presbyterian,
■Christian and Christian Union, all of which support mini-ters,
and all are as well attended as churches usually are in towns
of this size. There are six secret orders in the town : Odd
Fellows, Masons, Knights of Honor, Secret League, Horse
Thief Detective Association aud Grand Array Post. All of
these orders are in flourishing condition both numerically aud
financially. The town supports two banks, two cornet bands,
a town hall, with seating capacity of six hundred, one of the
best weekly newspapers published in the state in a to\vn of
the same size, one large flouring mill, one sawmill, v.-agon
works, the Blue Grass Dairy farm, owned and managed by J.
M. Byers, and many other things which can not be mentimied
in deaitl. The town is well supj)lied with shade-trees, and
the streets and sidewalks are generally in good repair. Take
all in all Zionsville ranks above the average as to its beautiful
location, business enterprise and the social and moral character
of its inhabitants."



I



52 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IX



WHITESTOWN,



The above town is situated in Worth Township, on the
Indianapolis, Cincinnati Sc Lafayette Railroad, seven miles
southeast of Lebanon and about the same distance northwest
of Zionsville, surrounded by one of the best agricultural dis-
tricts in the county. It is the center of a large local trade and
where the township elections are held, and in fact all the elec-
tions when held in the county. It has been for years the cen-
tral point for Worth Township. Whitestown was laid out in
the year 1851, or about the time the railroad was built. The
first plat was on the land of Abram Nese. The first mer-
chant was Harrison Spencer, followed soon after by Henry
Lucus and ^^'illiam Laughner. The first grist mill Iniilt here
was by Isaac Dye and Alfred Osburn, which was in a few years
burned down ; rebuilt by Henry Lucus. Tlie present mill was
built by J. W. Bowser, who operated it successfully for years
and built up for it a good reputation at home and abroad. He
sold it in October, 1880, to Riley iSc Vaughn. It has all the
new nulling facilities for making the best ilour in the state.
It is valued at 312,000. Among those doing business in an
early day at Whitestown in the various capacities we might
mention the following merchants: W. J. Givens, Daniel Ech-
mao, Ceaser Echman, F. M. iSIoody, Xeese & Keefe, J. T.
Ross, Dr. I. T. Ross, Dr. Starkey, Dr. Lariraore, J. S. Hardy,
who is now practicing. Postmasters, Henry Lucus, Dr. Ro.-s,
Henry Walters, S. M. Trout, The present one is J. O. Barb.
Hotel, G. W. H. Roberts. The school house here is an excel-
lent one of brick, and fully up to the times in every respect,
as well as the churches and other buildings. The annual
business transactions here amount to thousands of dollars,,
including the railroad business, which alone is verv lar^re.



BOONE COU^'TY, INDIANA. 53



MECIIANICSBURG.

This thriving town, so beautifully located on a high piece
of ground near the junction of Brown's Wonder and Sugar
Creek, was laid out in the year 1835, by James Snow. It is
near the Clinton County lino and also near the line dividing
the townships of Clinton and "Washington, being, however, in
the latter, on the road leading from Lebanon to Frankfort,
about nine miles from the former and seven from the latter.
The town contains many handsome residences, three churches,
school house, etc., and is the center of a line local trade. This
is the home of Dr. Jesse Reagan, Dr. Walker, Nathan Gar-
rett, all well known and valuable citizens. Below will be
found a sketch of Mechanicsburg, written for the Lebanon
Patriot in December, 18SG, which will account for this short,
imperfect sketch :

'' Mechanicsburg is situated on the banks of Sugar Creek,
midway between Lebanon and Frankfort, and has a popula-
tion of about 200. It has been called "The Burg" longer
than the oldest inhabitant can recollect. The place is well
known throughout the country, as its flouring mill, at one
time owned by George Ryan, was patronized by farmers from
far and near, not only of this, but by those of the adjoining
county, Clinton.

"A. R. Garrett has a complete stock of groceries, dry goods,
glass and queensware, boots, shoes and notions. Jolm R.
Beach keeps groceries, dry goods, ready-made clothing, boots,
shoes and notions. E. E. Armstrong d-jals in drugs, patent
medicines, school books, stationery, paints, oils, cigars, tobacco
and notions. Dr. J. S. Reagan has been practicing medicine
here for thirty years, has accumulated considerable property,
and was elected to the office of countv clerk at the last elec-
tion. Dr. D. R. Walker has been practicing medicine liere
about ten years, has ^lice residence property and a farm one-
half mile north of town. Dr. C. D. Umberhine is a young



54 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

man, a graduate of Rush Medical College, and has been prac-
ticing medicine for the past two years in partnership with Dr.
Reagan. Dr. U. built a substantial house the past summer
and has come to stay. The blacksmiths arc Frank Moore and
W. H. Brown, both good workmen who have plenty to do the
year round. \Yilliam Keller is the justice of the peace and
works at shoemaking during odd spells. J. S. Moore has a
wagon shop, keeps the postotEce, and is probably the only
Republican postmaster now in the county. Frank ^Nlills,
familiarly known as "Handle," carries the mail to and from
Lebanon, hauls g-oods for the merchants and docs errands for
everybody. Hart Lodge Xo. 413, I. O. O. F., is the only
secret order in the town. It has a membership of about 24,.
owns its hall and seems to be in a fairly good condition. The
religious denominations are the United Brethren in Christ,
Methodist Episcopal, and Christian. The pastor of the United
Brethren Church is Rev. Perry Cooper; of the Methodist
Episcopal, Rev. Jesse Hill; and of the Christian, Rev. Howe,
of Irvington. All the churches are in good condition."

EAGLE VILLAGE.

Eagle Village, one of the oldest towns in Boone County-
was laid out in 1829. It is located on the Michigan Road, in
the southeast part of Eagle Township, about one mile cast of
Zionsville. Until 1852, when the Indianapolis, Cincinnati tt
Lafayette Railroad was built, the village was a place of some
importance. From the year 1850, when it was at its zenith^
it gradually went down, until now there are but few lupuses
left. Many of the buildings were removed from there to Zions-
ville in 1S52, when the latter place was laid out. xVmong the
early merchants and business men of Eagle Village, most of
whom are now deceased, we find the following: Daniel and
James M. Lariraore, Reuben Price, J. F. Daugherty, John
Harden, Adflison Nicholas, J. ]5. Pitzcr, John P. Welch, Ocl
Thayer, T. P. Miller and Fielding Utterback, all of whom



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 55

sold goods from 1^35 until 1851. Amon^ the physicians who
practiced here from time to time, were PL G. Larimore, S. W.
Rodman, Jeremiah Larimore, J. M. Gaston, Xathau Crosby
and Dr. Johnson. H. G. Larimore died in Fayette County,
Ind., in 1874, aged near ninety years. S. W. Rodman lives
in Washington Territory. J. M. Gaston, who did not remain
long in Eagle Village, lives in Indianapolis. Dr. Johnson's
whereabouts are unknown. Jeremiah Larimore died in
Indianapolis about the year 1880. He is buried at Mount's
Run, in this county. Nathan Crosby, quite an old man, lives
in Zionsville. He came from the East to Eagle Village in
1849. Of the early merchants we give the following: Daniel
Larimore came from Fayette County, Iml., in 183-, was
encaored in business onlv a few vears when he died. He died

CD ^ - •

in 1839; and is buried at Eagle Village. J. M., his son, suc-
ceeded him, and was engaged in active business until March,
1849, when he died of consumption'. He was a fine-looking
man, 'was never married, and is buried by the side of his
father. He was the first Odd Fellow in Boone County. J.
F. Daugherty came in 183G, and was in business a number of
years. He finally moved to Zionsville, where he sold goods a
number of years. He now resides in Indianapolis. John
Harden engaged in business in 1842. He died in Ohio, Feb-
ruary, 1877, and is buried at Zionsville, Boone County.
Fielding Utterback was engaged in business several years.
He was elected county sheriff in 1815. He went West and
died there ten or fifteen years ago. Oel Thayer came to Boone
County in 1839; was first a merchant in Clarkstown, then in
Eagle Village. Ho finally removed to Lebanon, where he
died February 4, 1877. John Welch engaged in business
with J. B. Pitzer (his brother-in-law), in 1846. He died in
September, 1850, and is buried on :^agle Creek, six miles
southwest of Zionsville. J. B. Pitzer was in business several
years. He was elected county auditoi in 1863. lie resides
in Zionsville, and is seventy-four yea.s old, T. P. Miller
was born in Tennessee. He came with his father to Eagle



56 EAIiLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

Creek in 1829. He was engaged several years at Eagle Vil-
lage as merchant, postmaster and jnstice of the peace. He
was the second Odd Fellow in the county. He resides in
Indianapolis, aged seventy-five years. James McCoy, Jesse
Essex, William Gouge, William Lakin and John Gates were
early blacksmiths. McCoy was married five times and then
said he was on his first legs. He lived to be ninety-five years
old. Mr. Gouge was a local preacher, and lived to be quite
old. Mr. Essex died a little past middle life. He was the
son of Jesse Essex, Sr., and the father of George Essex, of
Lebanon. James Handly was the tailor; he moved West,
and the last account of him he was still living. Andrew
Hopkins was about the first saddler. He was born in Ohio,
married a daugiiter of Austin Davenport, and died at Lafay-
ette, Ind., in 1852, in middle life. William Earlan, an attor-
ney, was born in New York. He resided in Eagle Village
many years, where lie taught school in early times. He went
to Wisconsin, where he died about 1865, aged seventy years.
Jesse Essex was the first tanner, followed by William Man-
teeth and M. S. Davenport. The carj)enters of that time
were Starling C. Rose, Luther M. Oliphant, Isaac L. Daven-
port and Thomas Olipliant. The shoemakers were Henry
Breedlove, A. W. Larimore, Henry Davenport and ]Mr. Dan-
forth. James Armstrong and Henry Gardner made saleratus
here at an early day. " The ashery," as we called it, was
started by J. M. Larimore and Mr. Bishop in LS46. Mrs. Polly
Larimore kept the tavern many years after her husband died.
T. P. Miller also kept the " Pavilion." The " Eagle Village
Hotel" was kept by Mrs. Larmac, Joseph Larimore, George
Craft and Mr. Hurd. It went down about the year 1852,
with Joseph Larimore at the helm. The Odd Fellows organ-
ized a lodge here about the year 1846 or 1847, with the fol-
lowing as first member?: J. M. Larimore, T. P. Miller, J. F.
Duugherty, Joseph La ■imore, James Handly, Oel Thayer, I.
L. Davenport, Jacob T;pton,T. ^V. Oliphant and L. Oliphant.
Among the early prea'-luTs were James McCoy, Jacob Myers,



BOONE COTTN'IY, INDIANA. 57

Robert H. Calvert, Madison Hume, Mr. ^yells, William
Gouge and George Dye. A man by the name of Wesley
George, from Indianapolis, started a tin shop, but did not
stay long. The following have served as postmasters : T. P.
Miller, Fielding Utterback. J. F. Daughcrty, Xatium Crosby.
A temperance society was organized here about the year
1845; flourished for several years, and about the year 1853
went down with the general crash of the village. Adjoin-
ing on the east is the cemetery, where lie buried many old
citizens, among whom are Daniel Larimore, J. M. Larimore,
William Miller, Mrs. Polly Larimore, Peter Gregory, and
Patrick H. Sullivan, the first settler in the county and who
helped to select the present site of Lebanon as the place for
the county seat. He died about the year 1879, when he must
have been ei^htv-five vears of aije.



DOVER.

BY LEVI DEXNY.

The above town was first laid out in 1850, by Aries Pauly.
It was first known as " Crackaway." It is situated in Jeffer-
son Township, eight miles west of Lebanon, in a fine part of
the county. In 1860 a postoffice was established here and
named Cason, in remembrance of Thomas J. Cason, of Leb-
anon. It has been for years the center or voting place for the
township. The first merchant was Wesley Adkins, who started
a store in 1860. The first postmaster was Wm. Goldsburgb ;
present one, Joseph S. Miller. In 1851 James Stephenson
built a sawmill here. The following doctors have practiced
here: Drs. Clair, Oxly, C. Smith, Hamilton, John S. Smith,
Finch, Grafton, and W. H. Ware, who is now in practice and
who is a clever gentleman and doctor as well. Tlie first wood
shop was by J. L. Pyles; first blacksmith, Wm. Goldsburgh.
The following are the names of the present merchants and
mechanics: McDaniel & Bro., general merchants; Lewis



05 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

Denny, blacksmitli ; Henry J. Frazier, carpenter; Hezekiah
Kerfart, shoemaker. Three churches, one school house and
fourteen families, in all about fifty inhabitants, Robt. Denuy.
carpenter; Lee Miles, workingman. Following will be fvjnd
a sketch written for the Patriot and published in that paper
December, 1886, by W. H. Ware:

" Perhaps before we begin with the history of our pleasant
little village it would bo prudent to inform the many readers
of the Patriot what part of the county it is situated in. Our
tpwn is located near the center of Jefferson Township, on the
Noblesville gravel road, and the Thorntown and Jamestown
road, surrounded by forests and tiie most fertile lands of
proud old Boone. The early history of Dover does not
appear of very ancient date, it being first honored with the
name about the year 1854. when some poetic genius sug-
gested the spirited title of " Crackaway," by which title it
was known far arid near during a period of several years. At
this date the little hamlet consisted of three families and a
school house within the limits of our now busy town. We
will first mention the name of Mr. i\.ris Pauly, now a resident
of Danville, Illinois; his residence was the same in which the
Denney heirs now live, with the [exception of some more sub-
stantial and modern improvements. Next in order of enroll-
ment comes Mr. James Stevenson, now a resident of Horse
Shoe, Col., who lived in a house of meager dimensions on the
site where the Presbyterian Church now stands. He owned a
sawmill which was situated a short distance north of where
the new school house stand.-. He sold his mill some time in
the year 1855 to a man by the name of Whit Dalzell and
moved to the wilds of the Rockies. The third inhabitant
spoken of was Mrs. Hall, who lived in an old log building
situated on the south side of the Noblesville road, about fif-
teen rods west of where the Baptist Church now stands, her
husband having died some years previous to this date. The
school house was a small structure situated a little north of
the cross roads. There were no business houses, those pio-



BOONE COUNTY, INDIANA. 69

neers all earning their living by the sweat of the brow, but in
the year 1S59 AVilliam and John Goldsburrough purchased
the saw mill of Mr. Dalzell and erected a dwelling and a log
blacksmith shop near the crossing. Then the neighborhood
of Crackaway began to show signs of a village in the near
future, for in a few months the long-looked-for postoffice came
and with it a commission for William Goldsburrough as post-
master, and the U. S. check bore the name of Dover. Then
the name of Crackaway passed into oblivion. Progress vvas
slow for a season, but in 18G2 one Wesley Adtkins, now de-
ceased, built a 10x12 storeroom near the blacksmith shop
and supplied the villagers and weary travelers with groceries
and an occasional dose of "Old Kaintuck," and in the follow-
ing spring Jacob Pyles moved from Lebanon and opened a
wagon and repair shop, in a log building, on the corner where
McDaniel & Bro.'s magniticent storeroom now stands. Pros-
perity crowned his efforts and he now lives on his farm ad-
joining town. He is the only one of the oldest settlers living
in the county. There were but few changes or improvements
made until the year 1865, when Fielding Denny bought the
Pauly farm which had passed through several hands prior to
this, and also bought a small tract on the northwest corner
of John Darrouo^h's land. This he sold out in small lots to
parties who began to build and improve the town. In 1866
Dr. Israel Kirk located here; he was the first resident physi-
cian. In the following spring John Hall built a tile factory
and cou tinned in the manufacture of that much needed article
for three or four vears. In 1866 a Mr. Chanev bought the
stock of groceries from Mr. Adtkins and moved into a more
pretentious building and increased the stock of merchandise,
but in 18G8 he sold his stock of goods and moved away. The
first church was built by the Baptist and Methodist denomina-
tions, but in a few months the former bought out the interest
of the latter. Fieldinff Dennv donated the lots for the church
and cemeterv. During: the same vear Dr. Kirk moved to
Darlington and Dr. W. A. Ware located in his place and is



60 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN

still here practicing his profe.ssioxi. In 1871 the Presbyterians
built an elegant frame structure f^jr worshiping in, and in 1873
the Reformers, or Campbellites, through the instrumentality
of Thomas McDaniel, erected quite a respectable church of a
rather more modern style than either of the other two. At
present all three of the churches are in a prosperous condition.
There have been various changes in the past few years, which
we fail to note on account of space.''

NORTHFIELD.

Northfield was laid out in the year 1834. Jesse Lane was
the proprietor. It is situated in Union Township, on the Mich-
igan road. Big Eagle crosses the Michigan road just north,
and Findly Creek on the south. It at one lime was a place
of considerable business, and at one time a piece of ground
was purchased with a view of building a court-house. But
the prospect of the county seat being located there vanished.
But Northfield lived, notwithstanding. Among the first settlers
an<l business men were as follows: Hiram McQuidy built the
first horse mill or corn cracker. Mr. A. Sanburn was the first
postmaster. First merchants were Mr. Long, Chance Cole,
Jacob Tipton. Doctors were Knowlton, McLeod, Presly and
Samuel Hardy. First blacksmith was Mr. Robinson. First
school teacher Mr. Bray. First justices of the peace was Mr.
Sanburn and Riley B. Hogshier. The first church was built
by the ]S[ethodists. A churcli called Adventists' was built
here in 1886, and dedicated in December of that year by Rev.
Covert, of Howard County. It is a very good frame building ;
co.-t $800. Xorthfield now and for the past forty-five years
had a postofFice, and is now the voting place of Union Town-
shii). Election dav several vears aoo was looked forward to
with interest, when it was understood that sundry disputes
were to be settled, and an occasional tight was no unusual sight.
Among the early families of the place were: George Shirts,
Hiram McQaidy, Mr. Sanburn, Jacob Tipton and Mr. Robin-



m sm:-'€



BOOSE COUNTY, INDIANA. 61

son. The first tavern was kept by Hiram McQuidy. The
town contains a good brick school house and M. E. Chr.rch.
Korthfield was once the home of Jonathan H. Ro^e, also that
of Jacob Tipton. The present postmaster is Plenry Nicholas.
Among the early citizens of Union Township now living
within its borders are: Mrs. Nicholas, ]Mrs. Koontz, Wash-
ington Hutton, Mr. "Alexander, Mrs. Sedgewick, Andrew
Harvey, Squire Duly, Samuel Davis, John J. Iloss and Jesse
Lane.

CLARKSTOWN.

This once thriving little town was situated on the Mich-
igan road, just north of where Little Eagle crosses the same.
It kept this name for years, when it was changed to that of
Hamilton, about the year 1838 or 1839. It was first named
after Walter Clark, who came from Ohio. It was laid out on
the land of Jacob Hoover, in or about the year 1833. The
following were its first citizens: Frederick Lowe, who built
the first house and kept public house, Elias Bishop, John
Lowe, George Lowe, the Duzans, Jacob Hoover. The first
blacksmith was Critchfield. The first doctors were W. N.
Duzan, George Selders, George W. Duzan. The first mer-
chants were Jacob Hoover, John Duzan, Oel Thayer, Zach-
ariah Owsley. Zachariah Turpin kept a grocery and some-
thing for the inner man occasionally. The first tanner was
James Sheets. The first carding machine was built by Jacob
Hoover and Moses Lyons as early as 1837, and has been kejit
up ever since ; is now ov>ned by Paul D. Liebhardt, with a
saw mill attached. Andrew Hopkins, Clinton Osburn and
Allen Brock were the saddlers and harness makers in an early
day. The town has all gone down, there are only a few dilap-
idated houses remaining that mark the site of the once flourish-
ing town of Clarkstown.



62 EARLY LIFE AND TIMES IN



FAYETTE.



Fayette is located in Whitelick, in Perry Township, and in
the southern part of it near the Hendricks County line and on
section ten. The town is well located on an elevated, well
drained piece of land. The town contains two stores, schoo.l
house and several good private residences. Fayette was laid
out on the land originally owned by Edniond Shurly and
Mr. Turner. The present merchants are Mr. ]\IcDaniel and
Shurly, F'rs. AV, E. Everts and Jourden. Drug store by
Josephus Dodson. Former merchants were Charles J. Lump-
kins and Thos. Fitch. Dr. Jorden's family kept the drug
store here. Fayette is the voting place of Perry Township,
and is the center of considerable trade^ not only of Boone
County, but that also of Hendricks County. The postoffice
is now kept by Dr. W. E. Everts, who has been here several
years and has a fine practice. The town contains some three
hundred inhabitants, of sober, industrious habits. The settle-
ment here on ^yhitelick dates back in the thirties. The town,
however, is not quite that old.

NEW BRUNSWICK.

The above town is in the southwest part of Harrison Town-
ship, and about seven miles southwest of Lebanon, in a rich,
fertile part of the county, containing several good residences.
Christian Church, brick school house, postoffice, store, doctors,
etc. Among the first merchants here were Samuel Vest &
Son, Dr. Horner, Mr. Sexton, Aaron Frazee, Colonel Letcher,



Online LibrarySamuel HardenEarly life and times in Boone County, Indiana, giving an account of the early settlement of each locality, church histories, county and township officers from the first down to 1886 ... Biographical sketches of some of the prominent men and women ... → online text (page 5 of 38)