eBooksRead.com books search new books
Samuel P. (Samuel Penniman) Bates.

History of Franklin county, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc online

. (page 58 of 149)
Online LibrarySamuel P. (Samuel Penniman) BatesHistory of Franklin county, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc → online text (page 58 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
howl. This we have from one of the early settlers. ' '

In the paper from which we took the foregoing extract, Mr. Ruby gives a
list of the leading business men of the olden time. It does not pretend to be
exhaustive, but serves its purpose in perpetuating the names and memories of
the first inhabitants, one object had in view in this compilation.

Benjamin Chambers; Joseph Chambers; Snyder; Stephen Rigler,

innkeeper; John Noel, Sr., fuller; Dr. Abraham Senseny, Sr. ; Frederick
Roemer, innkeeper; Samuel Radebaugh, Sr. , merchant ; Daniel Reisher, Sr. ;
George Stech, innkeeper; Hoffman, merchant; Patrick Campbell, mer-
chant; Godfrey Greenawalt, Si'., butcher; Edward Crawford, prothonotary;
Samuel Purvines, paper-maker; Samuel Colhoun, merchant; John Shryock,
book merchant; Thomas Johns, hardware store; Jacob Heyser, Sr. , copper-
smith; Christian Wolff, saddler; Jacob Brazer, saddler; Jacob Snyder, sher-
iff; Jeremiah Snyder, innkeeper; Dr. Lane; Henry Reges. scrivener; D. Com-
fort, basket-maker; Samuel Riddle, attorney; John Riddle, teacher; James
Cooper, cabinet-maker; Samuel Blood, teacher; James Warden, shoe- maker;
John Gross, Sr., shoe-maker; Samuel Holliday, justice of the peace; Dr. John

McDowell; Dr. John Sloan; Seibert, Sr. ; William Seibert, carpenter;

Samuel Seibert, carpenter; John Seibert, merchant; Wesley Seibert; Peter
Cook, butcher; Samuel Cook, butcher; George Cook, butcher; John Shull,
rope-maker; Solomon Patterson, justice of the peace; John Welsh, sheriff;
John Campbell, innkeeper; Leven Murphy, blacksmith; John Oaks, windmill -
maker; David Oaks, judge; G. Hummelshine, laborer; — — Owens, carpen-
ter; L. Denig, Sr., druggist; L. Denig, Jr., druggist; Hugh Greenfield,
sheriff; John Greenfield, nail-maker; Jacob Wilt, blacksmith; Joseph Hous-
tim, shoe maker; J. Switzer, gunsmith; Jacob Oyster, tanner; Peter Oyster,
saddler; Peter Minnich, tanner; Christian Flack, tanner; James Findlay, tan-
ner; Owen Aston; Col. Young, farmer; Fridinger, sexton; Peter Gloss-

brenner, tailor; Alexander Scott, watch-maker; Brown, attorney;

Gibbons, Sr. , blacksmith; Charles Gibbons; Klunk, potter; Rev. B. S.

Schneck; Reade Washington, attorney; Rev. McKnight; George Albright,
miller; Thomas Lindsay, mail-carrier; - - Nitterhouse, Sr.; Philip Nitter-
house, carpenter; John Nitterhouse, carpenter; J. Mohler, farmer; Judge J.



BOROUGH OF CHAMBERSBURG. 4G3

Nill; John Dietz, book-binder; Coover, wagon-maker; Capt. James

Calhoun; Capt. John McClintick; Charles Young, watch-maker; George
Shillito, weaver; Hugh McNulty, hatter; Daniel Smith, tobacconist: George

K. Harper, printer; John Rothboust, music teacher; M. Trout, Sr. ;

Merkell, sheriff; Jacob Whitmore, merchant; John Hershberger, printer;
Jacob Spahr; Philip Berlin, wagon-maker; Jacob Dechert, hatter; David
Snyder, merchant; Jacob Spangler, blacksmith; Daniel Spangler, cashier of
the Chambersburg bank; Capt. Allison, court -crier; John Stephenson, Jr.,
tailor; John Kelly, fuller; Blecher, shoe-maker; Matthew Wilson, mer-
chant; Wilson, hardware merchant; Judge Riddle; Samuel Cooper, cabi-
net-maker; Rev. D. Denny; Rev. James Hoffman; Rev. Frederick Moeller;
Dr. Samuel Culbertson; Joseph Culbertson, innkeeper; Thomas H. Crawford,
attorney; Ludwig Heck,, carpenter; John Durborrow, carpenter; John Fa-
vorite, wagon-maker; Jacob Jarrett, carpenter; F. W. Schoepflin, printer;
Frederick Miller, tinner; Rudolph Harley, teacher; James Wright, hatter;
Thomas Wright, book-binder; William Nixon, chair-maker; Thomas McCulloh,
attorney; George Barnitz, brewer; Kirby, Sr. , teacher; Davis, sur-
veyor; H. Markline, engraver. Charles Markline, printer; Jacob Flinder,

locksmith; John King, ironmaster; Paul Hoeflich, barber; Brand, Sr. ,

blacksmith; Samuel Brand, blacksmith; Robert Peebles, innkeeper; Jacob
Soasy, jailer; George Brown, carpenter; Jacob Brown, carpenter; Martin
Brown, carpenter; John Brown, postmaster; — — Coffee, innkeeper; John

Shortz, saddletree-maker; Maneris, laborer; Jacob Hart, potter; John

Measy, shoe-maker; Barnard Wolff, saddler; John Henneberger, tailor;

Suesserott, watch-maker; Fred Schneider, hardware store ; James McFarland,
merchant; David Washabaugh, sheriff; John McClay, sheriff; Frederick
Stump, grocer; Frederick Smith, attorney; Dr. Jeremiah Senseny; William
Heyser, paper-maker; John McGeehan, merchant; Thomas Early, sheriff;
Silas Harry, bridge-builder; Thomas Plummer; Jacob Bickley, tailor; John
McClintick, hatter; George Flory, cabinet-maker; John Smith, merchant;

Henry Smith, teacher; John Noel, Sr. ; McLaughlin, teacher;

Stupel, watchman; John Sloan, printer; George Mason, innkeeper; Frederick
Hoffman, farmer; Daniel Dechert, hatter; Richard Morrow, clerk of court;
John Flanagan, prothonotary; Joseph Pritts, printer; Rev. H. L. Rice; An-
drew Colhoun, bank officer; Madeira; George Chambers, attorney; Jo-
seph Chambers, attorney; James Dunlap, attorney; Robert M. Bard, attorney;
James Riddle, attorney; Jacob Heck, merchant; Benjamin Fahnestock, drug-
gist; Benjamin Fahnestock, merchant; Henry Heckerman, shoe-maker; Col.

Marphy; Monroe; Biddle, vendue-crier; Schaffer. distiller;

Peter McGaffigan, turnpiker; John Hughes, turnpiker; Henry Tray er, brewer;

Little; Pedigrew; John Stewart, weaver; John Bert, sexton; George

Heck, tinner; Judge Thompson; Matthias Nead, phothonotary ; John Burk-
holder, blacksmith; Peter Eberly, farmer; Henry Hatnick, printer; John
Strealy, printer; Holmes Crawford, treasurer of the Saving Fund; John F.
Denny, attorney; Jasper Brady, attorney; William Gillaspy, wagon-maker;

Henry Byerly; Jacob Heagy, tanner; Faber, card-maker; George Grice,

plasterer; Pierce, carpenter; Richard Burden, farmer; Fetter, car-
penter; Warden, cotton factory where now part of the woolen-mill stands;

Jamison, tanner; Stumm, tanner; Denny Stephenson ; Jacob Grove,

blacksmith; William Grove, wagon-maker; Rev. Litchey; John Stephenson,
tailor; William Ferry, auger-maker; George S. Eyster, merchant; Dr. Sam-
uel Fahnestock.

The pooling of interests is not wholly a modern practice. Seventy years ago,



464



HISTORY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY.



as will be seen from the following pronunciarnento, the borough of Chambers -
burg was threatened with a dearth of fuel by the combination of its bucolic
neighbors. Observe that its significance is intensified by the date of its issue :

Notice.

We, the subscribers, in order to regulate the price of Are wood, have unanimously
agreed to the following resolutions:

1. We will not sell hickory wood for less than six dollars per cord; chestnut oak five
dollars and fifty cents, aud all other wood five dollars per cord.

2. If any of us after the first of August next sell any wood in the borough of Cham-
bersburg for less than the prices above mentioned, he shall forfeit and pay a fine of five
dollars, the informer to have the fine.

3. We wish to inform the town council of Chambersburg that we are not to be
detained from morning to evening, for nothing, by his honor, their wood corder, except
they wish to be more sensible of the effects of cold weather than they have been hereto-
fore.



July 4, 1817, Independence.



Christian Keefer,
Benj. Keefer,
Casper Lingel,
Robt. Anderson, Jr.
John Ebersole,
John Gilliland,
Christian Foltz,
Michael Doyle,
John Bowers,
Michael Winger,
Abraham Winger,
Peter Drushel,
Samuel Leman,
Abraham Eagle,
Peter Eagle,
Wm. Harper,
Jacob Hosleder,
Patrick Rady,



George Hoffman,
Martin Gross,
John Gross,
John Huston,
Moses Besore,
Peter Besore,
Adam Harmony,
George Harmony,
John Harmony,
John Locher,
Andrew Bard,
Frederick Roemer,
James Boyd,
Abraham Huber,
Jacob Rod,
George Beshore,
Samuel Huber,
George Keisel,



George Crider,
Wm. Bard,
Abr. Hollinger,
John Stands,
Peter Harman,
Frederick Roemer,
David Kraft,
David Kraft, Jr.,
John Kraft,
Jacob Ebersole,
John Stacher,
Frederick Karper,
Joseph Winger,
Henry Krider,
Archibald Gabby,
Robert McConnell,
Abraham Keefer,
John Brake,



John Walgamote,
Jacob Foerney,
John Eshway,
John Kessel,
Frederick Dech,
Sam. Goldsmith,
John Straley,
Jacob McFerran,
John Burkholder,
John Tholl,
Frederick Shark,
Christian Plough,
Jacob Burkholder,
John Spracher,
John Huber,
Michael Hackman,
Jacob Hollinger.



INCORPORATION.



By an act of the General Assembly of the State, dated 21st of March, 1803,
the town of Chambersburg was incorporated into a /borough. Its first election
under this act is thus recorded:

At an election held at the Court House in the Borough of Chambersburg on the Sec-
ond day of May Eighteen hundred and three, the Following Gentlemen were duly Elec-
ted. For Chief Burgess. Major John Holliday had ninety-two votes — and for the Town
Council Edward Crawford Esq. had ninety-four votes — Andrew Dunlap had ninety-four
votes — and Christian Oister had ninety-three votes — John Shryock had eighty-seven votes
— and Patrick Campbell had fifty-seven votes, whereupon the above Gentlemen were duly
elected, and Also George Strite for high Constable had seventy votes being duly Elected
given under our hands this second day of May 1803.

Adam Hailman, Peter Dinkle, Jr. — Clerks.

The above were the first town council and high constable regularly elected
under the act of incorporation. On March 7, 1840, the act was amended to
divide the borough into two wards, the North Ward and the South Ward, the
center of Queen Street being the dividing line. On the 9th of April, 1872,
the act was again amended to divide the borough into four wards — the First,
Second, Third and Fourth Wards.

A tax duplicate issued by the town council for the year 1803, based on a
population of 500, amounted to $550.97.



BANKS.



The citizens of the new borough, which was yet in its infancy, seem to
have felt the want of a secure place to deposit their surplus funds, and for the



BOROUGH OF CHAMBERSBURG. 405

convenience of transactions in business and exchange, for we find that, on the
sixth anniversary of its incorporation, the town council held a special meeting
for the purpose of supplying the want, and passed the following resolution :

Resolved, That we, the Town Counsel, of the Borough of Cham'g, for the purpose met
do hereby upon due consideration invite the establishment of an office of discount and de-
posit in the said borough, by the directors of the bank of Pennsylvania or Philadelphia,
or any other bank in the State which now has, or hereafter shall have, competent author-
ity so to do — promising said establishment as far as the influence of the corporation will
extend their aid and protection.

Enacted March 8th 1809. J. Holliday,

Samuel Dryden,
Attest: Jacob Whitmore,

Henry Reges, Jeremiah Snyder,

Clerk. Christian Grove,

Counsel.

As a result of this action of the town council we find a banking association
organized on the 4th day of September, 1809, with a capital of $250,000, of
which Edward Crawford was president, and Alex. Calhoun was cashier. Its
banking rooms were in the building on the corner of the public square, now
occupied by the Franklin County Bank. On the 13th of May, 1814, it was in-
corporated as a State bank. In 1828 a burglar succeeded in breaking into it,
but obtained nothing but some counterfeit money, which the officers of the bank
had collected together in a drawer. He was arrested the day following, and
upon trial was convicted and sentenced to the penitentiary for three years, but
was pardoned after serving one year. Finding the old building insecure, the
directors purchased the lot now occupied by the present bank, and erected the
handsome building which was long one of the ornaments of the town, until
destroyed by the rebels in 1864. On November 17, 1864, it was changed from
a State to a national bank, with the capital increased to $260, 000, and, in the
same year, they removed to their present beautiful building, having in the
meantime occupied the first floor of the Masonic Hall, on Second Street. In
March, 1875, an effort was made to rob the bank by Charles Claremont, alias
Maj. Ralph Rolland, and an accomplice named B. Johnston, alias A.. B. ^Vicks,
of Chicago. They succeeded in gaining an entrance through the private part
of the building, on pretense of business; attacked Mr. G. R. Messersmith, the
cashier, in his private office, and succeeded in securing a package of money
containing $30,000. The resistance of the cashier raised an alarm, and the
robbers fled, but only one was then captured — Rolland, who had the package
of money, at the back door of the dwelling— , and Johnston, who made his escape,
was arrested at Mercersburg the following day. They were tried, convicted and
sentenced to the penitentiary for a term of ten years each. The present officers
of the bank are W. L. Chambers, president; and John Mcllvaine, cashier.

The Franklin County Bank was established as an office of discount and de-
posit in 1865, by Col. J. C. Austin and Col. James G. Elder. Shortly after,
Scott Fletcher, Esq., was taken in as a partner, and the business of the firm
was conducted under the title of Austin, Elder & Fletcher, until March, 1870,
when they were succeeded by Hon. Chambers McKibbin and Charles H. Tay-
lor, when it was organized into a banking institution, with Mr. McKibbin as
president, and C. H. Taylor as cashier. vVm. McLellan, W. L. Chambers,
T. B. Kennedy and John Stewart were subsequently added to the firm. In
1878 this corporation suspended payment, and asked the court for a receiver to
wind up its affairs. The depositors were all paid in full.

In 1880, Jno. R. Orr purchased from the receiver the old Franklin County
banking building, and on the 1st of April, of the same year, opened a banking
house, under name of Chambersburg Deposit Bank, Jno. R. Orr & Co. being the



466 HISTORY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY.

proprietors. There have been some changes in the name of the firm at differ-
ent times. At present the proprietors of the establishment are Orr, Camp &
Co. From 1880 to the present the establishment has done business as The
Chambersburg Deposit Bank, Jno. R. Orr, the senior member of the firm,
having been connected with the institution since its establishment in 1880. Mr.
Camp entered the establishment as a clerk at the same time, and had been em-
ployed as one of its trusted clerks until May, 1886, when he became a member
of the firm.

FIRST MARKET-HOUSES.

As the population of the town increased, a market-house was deemed neces-
sary for its convenience. A long, low brick house, with a single story and
comb roof, was accordingly built. The roof was supported by brick pillars,
which left its sides and both ends partly open. Its floor was of brick, and it
was in many respects well adapted to its use. It stood in the diamond, oppo-
site the Repository Hall, and was not taken away until two or three years after
the erection of the new building on the corner of Queen and Second Streets, in
1830.

One of the old customs of a former day, which has forever passed away, was
the holding of annual fairs in the old market -house. In the early summer and
in the fall the people were accustomed to prepare various articles for ornament
and use, in endless variety, which were then offered for sale in the old building.
The town was alive with people from all sections, and huge quantities of sweet-
meats, small beer and ginger bread were consumed. Truth compels the addi-
tional remark, that a more potent beverage than small beer and mead was like-
wise in great demand. The lads and lasses enjoyed a grand gala day, whose
facilities for love-making did not pass unimproved. The taverns were filled to
their utmost capacity, and the houses of the citizens were also freely opened to
their country friends. Dancing at the taverns was the most popular pastime,
and the young people engaged in it with untiring zeal, the fiddlers of the town
meanwhile reaping a rich harvest of ' ' fips ' ' and ' ' levies ' ' for their ceaseless
services on these lively occasions. These fairs were the means of bringing the
people of the county together, enabling them to enlarge the circle of their ac-
quaintance, and spend a season of festive enjoyment with each other. That
they were a more substantial benefit to the merchants and shop-keepers of the
town, is a proposition not likely to be controverted. These annual festivities
generally embraced a period of three days, and were abandoned about fifty
years ago.'

The old market-house was a common place of resort for the boys of the
town, and many expeditions for the robbing of hen-roosts and the pillaging of
orchards, as well as for less objectionable purposes, had their inception and
the completion of their details effected in this popular trysting-place of a past
generation.

A clause of the act of incorporation of the borough of Chambersburg, dated
21st of March, 1803, provides, that "Until it shall be otherwise directed by law,
the inhabitants of said borough may hold two fairs every year hereafter, to
continue two days each, commencing on the first Thursday in June, and upon
the first Thursday in October."

PRESENT MARKET-HOUSE.

At a meeting of the town council, held on April 19, 1830, the following

resolution was unanimously passed:

Resolted, by the Town Council of the Borough of Chambersburg, that the lot at the
south-east corner of Queen and Second Streets, in said Borough, be purchased for the site



BOROUGH OF CHAMBERSBURG. 469

of a Market House and Town Hall, and that a note for six hundred and thirty three dol-
lars be given to Andrew Hemphill, the owner of said lot, payable on the first day of April
one thousand eight hundred and forty, with interest from the date — the interest to be paid
semi-annually, the Town Council having the privilege of paying any portion of the prin-
cipal at any period before it becomes due. Under the corporate seal of said Borough.

John Radebauoh,
Attest: Alexander Flack,

John Calhoun, Reade VVashinqton,

Town Clerk. James Wright.

The above named property, on which the present market- house stands, was
deeded to the burgess and town council of the borough of Chambersburg,
on the 3d day of May, 1830. by Rev. Andrew Hemphill and Ruth his wife,
for the sum of $633. The deed to be null and void and all moneys paid by
the burgess and town council to be refunded, the property to revert to the
Rev. Mr. Hemphill, if a market house was not erected before the first day of
April, 1833. The contract for the erection of the market-house was given to
Jacob Zettle and Henry Winemiller, May 11, 1830. On September 6.
Jacob Zettle threw up his portion of the contract, and Henry Winemiller
undertook the erection of the entire building, John Radebaugdi and Martin B.
Wingert being his sureties for the faithful performance of the contract.

The first meat was sold in the market-house in March, 1831, and was
hauled there on a wheelbarrow by John Tritle, Esq. , from the butcher shop
of John Reed. The steer was purchased from Jacob Heyser, then residing on
his farm, two miles south of town. When being driven to town, and within
sight of the shop, the steer became frightened and broke away from his
drivers, who succeeded in heading him only when he had run as far as the site
of the powder magazine of Brand, Speer & Co. But he was not even then
ready to be captured, and upsetting horse and rider by a toss of his horns, he
crossed the creek and made for the hills, and was finally shot in the draft
above Sulphur Springs.

This building stood as erected by Mr. Winemiller, until the year 1874, when
it was altered to its present convenient condition at a cost of $4, 000 by the
burgess and town council, consisting of the following named gentlemen; Bur-
gess, John Doebler: Councilmen, W. B. Gilmore, J. B. Miller, S. M. Worley,
J. P. Culbertson, Dr. J. L. Suesserott, J. C. Gerbig, Thos. Cook and Daniel
Harmony. As a result, there is to-day one of the most comfortable and con-
venient buildings for the purpose to be found outside of the larger cities,
bringing into the borough treasury about $1,200 per annum from stall rents
and licenses.

On the 16th day of March, 1831, the burgess and council entered into an
article of agreement, with Frederick and George J. Heisly, of Harrisburg, in
which the Messrs. Heisly ' ' agree to furnish a Town Clock in the cupola of the
Market House, the great wheels of which shall not be less than sixteen inches
in diameter, the clock to be made of the best materials, with maintaining
power, with four faces, with hour and minute hands — the conductors of the
hands to be fixed with universal joints— the whole to be made and finished in
a workmanlike manner. * * * In consideration of which the said Burgess
and Town Council agree to pay to the said Geo. and Fred. Heisly, the sum
of $375, on the day on which they shall put up the clock, and the further
sum of $375 one year thereafter — that they will pay the expenses of bringing
the clock from Harrisburg to Chambersburg, and that they will pay the ex-
pense of boarding two hands to the said Geo. and Frederick, while they shall
be engaged in putting up the said clock. "

25



470 HISTOEY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY.

WATER-WORKS.

One of the first wants felt by the town after it had assumed the dignity
of a corporate borough, was an abundant supply of good water. In 1818 a
company was formed under the title of the Chambersburg Water Company,
which erected water-works about one-half mile east of the town, the reservoir,
or cistern, being located on the site of the present residence of Samuel Myers,
Esq., and the force pump at the nearest point on the Falling Spring. The water
was conveyed from the pump to the reservoir, and from thence to town in
wooden pipes, which must very soon have proven their unfitness, for we have a list
of thirty-seven subscribers, representing fifty-six and one-half shares of stock,
agreeing to give $12. 50 for each half share subscribed by them "it being expressly
stipulated by the managers that the sums raised by this subscription shall be
applied to, and for no other purpose than to procure cast-iron pipes to convey
the water from the force pump to the cistern." " On the 21st of March, 1818,
Philip Seibert and Son agree to build the house over the reservoir, according
to the old bill of rates, from which they are to throw off eight per cent and are
to take one other share of water stock in addition to the seven shares which they
have already subscribed for, and are not to demand any money until it be
ascertained that the completion of the work shall exceed $200. " On the 30th
of January, 1819, at a meeting of the town council, it was ''Resolved, that
the corporation enter into an article of agreement with the Chambersburg Water
Company to pay them $100 per annum, payable semi-annually, from 1st of
July, 1819, in consideration of said company putting up and keeping in repair
eight fire plugs, as agreed upon ; and if any others shall be deemed necessary
that they will put them also up and keep in repair at the same proportion and
on the same terms. " The article of agreement is dated January 30, 1819,
and is signed by Patrick Campbell, burgess of the borough of Chambersburg,
and James Riddle, president of the Chambersburg Water Company. The
signatures are witnessed by M. St. Clair Clarke, and a copy of the article is
recorded in the minute book of the town council by Henry Reges, clerk. On
the 1st of September, 1820, there were fifty-five consumers. These works
lasted but a few years — the records stop at 1823 — when they were discontinued,
and the town had no regular supply of water, other than from wells and
cisterns, until 1875, when the town council of the borough erected the present
water-works, which have been a decided success from the first day they have
been operated. They were erected by H. P. M. Birkinbine, contractor, of
Philadelphia, for the sum of $55,000. The reservoir is situated on Federal
Hill, a short distance northwest of the borough, and has a capacity of
1,200,000 gallons of water. The engine and pump are at the base of the hill
on the west bank of the Conococheague Creek, opposite Heyser' s straw board
mill, and have a capacity for pumping 35, 000 gallons of water per hour. The
water can be forced through the pipe to town, by either direct pressure from
the engine and pumps, or through the reservoir, and is supplied to the con-
sumers through six and one-quarter miles of cast-iron main pipes of the best
quality. The present number of consumers is 270, and is rapidly increasing.
We take pleasure in recording the names of the burgess and town council



Online LibrarySamuel P. (Samuel Penniman) BatesHistory of Franklin county, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc → online text (page 58 of 149)
Using the text of ebook History of Franklin county, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; biographies; history of Pennsylvania, statistical and miscellaneous matter, etc by Samuel P. (Samuel Penniman) Bates active link like:
read the ebook History of Franklin county, Pennsylvania; containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, industries, etc.; portraits of early settlers and prominent men; is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014