lic Works was requested to have the following hydrants moved
back to the new curb line occasioned by the widening of
the roadway of Eddy street: South side of Eddy street 123
feet west of Mason street, southwest corner of Eddy and Mason
Samuel Nelson, driver of Truck Xo. 8, who went out of
the city on Xovember 1 without permission, and while on
sick leave, was ordered to be deprived of salary for that day.
A check for $100 for the Widows and Orphans Aid Asso-
ciation was received from the .T. Brandenstein Investment
Company in appreciation of the work of the department at
the recent fire at California and Gough streets.
The complaint against T. Henneberry, truckman of Truck
Company No. 3, for having failed to report back for duty at
expiration of leave of absence on November 5, was dismissed,
upon the showing being made that his absence was due to
A communication from the San Francisco Woman's Club
regarding the blockading of NordhofE street was referred to
the Chief for investigation and proper action.
The Board of Public Works notified the Commission that a
large portion of the auxiliary water system for Are protec-
tion is completed and ready to be turned over to the Fire De-
W. F. Boynton. lieutenant of Engine Company No. 3 6. was
granted leave of absence for 10 days, with permission to leave
the city, owing to illness.
The Board of Fire Pension Commissioners reported that
the following members of the department had retired from
duty on pension on account of physical disability, to take ef-
fect from November 1. 1912: William A. Roebling. lieutenant
Engine Company No. 2 (retired as hoseman); John Fay. cap-
tain Engine Company Xo. 22: Matthew Brown, hoseman En-
gine Company No. 8.
The application of W. S. Hunter for transfer from hose-
man of Engine Company Xo. 14 to truckmen of Truch Company
Xo. 3 was granted.
George Lawson, captain of Engine Company Xo. C. ap-
peared to answer a charge of having failed to properly re-
spond to an alarm of fire with his company on the 7th inst.
He admitted that he had made a mistake and was admon-
ished to be more careful in future.
A complaint against Joseph Thompson, a truckman of
Truck Company No. S, accusing him of having failed to pay a
debt of $36.00 was referred to Chief Murphy for investiga-
A communication was directed to be sent to the Spring
Valley Water Company requesting that a hydrant be installed
at the southeast corner of Brazil avenue and Edinburgh
The following members having satisfactorily completed
their probationary terms were elected regular members of
the department: G. L. Trapp, hoseman Engine Company No.
29; W. J. Glennon, hoseman. Engine Company No. 28; W
E. Frerichs, truckman. Truck Company No. 8; A. B. Butter-
worth, hoseman. Engine Company No. 7: T. J. Keohane,
truckman. Truck Company No. 12; F. J. Hughes, hoseman.
Engine Company No. 41.
VARIOUS PETITIOXS PASSED OX BY SUPER\aSORS.
The Supervisors have taken the following action upon peti-
tions for permits:
Referred to Fire Committee.
Oil Storage raniâ€” McKenzie Estate Company, at northwest
corner of Bush street and Van Ness avenue.
Jointer and Saic Tat>leâ€”il. Cushner, at 674 McAllister street.
Referred to Public Health Committee.
Stableâ€” Edouard Vours, at 2340 Geary street, for one horse.
Permits Reconmiended â€” Passed to Print.
Boi/erâ€” Marin County Milk Producers, No. 15 Oak Grove
street, fifteen horsepower, for pasteurizing milk.
Storage Tanfcsâ€” Patrick A. Dolan, south side of Lombard
street, 137 feet 6 inches east of Pierce street, capacity 1500 gal-
lons; Marin County Milk Producers, No. 15 Oak Grove street,
capacity 1500 gallons; Behlow Estate Company, northwest cor-
ner of Clay and Montgomery streets, capacity 1500 gallons; J.
B. V. Laplace, east side of Polk street, 85 feet south of Turk
street, capacity 1500 gallons; J. Barbe, 1533 Pacific street, ca-
pacity 1500 gallons; Meyer Estate, north corner of Sixth and
Minna streets, capacity 1500 gallons; Greenwich Terrace House
Holding Association, southwest corner of Greenwich and Leav-
enworth streets, capacity 2000 gallons; Henry Browning, south-
west corner of Mason and Clay streets, capacity 1500 gallons;
California Milk Company, south side of Bay street, 126 feet 3
inches west of Taylor street, capacity 1500 gallons.
Stableâ€”VittOTio Noce, in rear of 371 Paris street for one
ApplicatioiLs for Permits Denied.
Laundry and Boilerâ€” S. Baba, at southwest corner of Ellis
and Bourbon streets.
Cabinet .S;i opâ€” Parquet Flooring and Manufacturing Com-
pany, at 1731 Fifteenth street.
Stable â€” Ferro Bros., on south side of Twenty-third street, 25
feet west of York street, for eight additional horses; The Soke
Transfer Company, on the southeast line of Federal street, SO
feet northeast of Second street, for thirty horses.
Permits Granted â€” Final Passage.
BoiJerâ€” Masonic Hall Association building, northwest corner
of Van Ness avenue and Oak street, for heating purposes.
Storage ranfcsâ€” Andrew Peninou, 3407 Sacramento street,
capacity 2000 gallons; Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company]
west side of Hyde street, 84 feet north of Sutter street, capacity
1500 gallons; J. R. Hodson, north side of Lily street, 286 feet
west of Franklin street, capacity 1500 gallons.
Garage â€” ^A. F. Hoch, southwest side of Eighth street, 137
feet 6 inches northwest of Mission street.
Stableâ€” B. Ramorino. in rear of 4298 Mission street, for two
horses; E. G. A. Hadeler, on west side of Redondo street, about
75 feet south of Thirty-third avenue, for two horses; WilUam
Fest and Mas Blumenfeld. at southeast corner of Post and Brod-
erick streets, for thirty-five horses; J. F. Makowski, on west
side of Twenty-sixth avenue, betwen Lincoln way and Irving
street, for four horses, for a period of six months from Novem-
ber 1, 1912.
B;astinj7â€” Williams & Finnigan, in Rhode Island street, be-
tween Nineteenth and Twentieth streets.
The Richmond Central Improvement Association has peti-
tioned the Supervisors to again take up the extension of
Twent.v-sixth avenue to the beach.
MAVOH UOM'H I^EAVES FOK WASHINGTON.
rail, SKKVK K KXAMINATIOX KOU I'OLICEMEN.
Goes t<> \atiim'.s Ca|iiUtI to Take Tai-t in Heteli Heteliy
Before Seci-etary of liiteiior.
Mayor Holpli and the other members of the i)art.v going to
Washington to take part in the fight to be made before the
Secretarj- of the Interior to retain the Hetch-Hetchy privileges
granted by former Secretary Garfield, left at ii:30 o'clock
With the Mayor went Mrs. Rolph, Supervisor Vogelsang,
Chairman of the Public Utilities Committee, and former Mayor
James D. Phelan. Many persons gathered at the ferry to see
the travelers off. At the slip, on the ferry boat and at the Oak-
land mole there was a shower of good wishes for the city's
champions. The belief was expressed that they would succeed
in winning the fight. Mayor Rolph and his companions spoke
confidently on this subject.
On their arrival in Washington Mayor Rolph and Super-
visor Vogelsang will at once go into consultation with the rej)-
resentatives and friends of the city already there, and by .Mon-
day next, when the hearing opens, all will be ready to make a
strong presentation of San Francisco's case.
NEW STKEET LIGHTS OKUEUEl) INSTALLED.
The Supervisors have instructed the Pacific Gas and Elec-
tric Company to install and remove street lamps as follows;
Install single top sas lamps at iniith .side of Winter lane SO
feet east of ilasiin street, north side of Shipley street 120 feet
west of Fourth street, two on L.ilat: street between Tweniy-
lifth and Twenty-sixth streets, one at Joice street between
California and Sacramento streets, on north side of Geary
street 103 feet west of Fillmore street, on south side of
Geary street 206 fet west of Fillmore street, at southeast cor-
ner of Geary and Steiner streets, at northwest corner of Geary
and Steiner streets, on south side of Geary street OS feet west
of Steiner street, on north side of Geary slieet 198 feet west
of Steiner street, on south side of Geary street 297 feet west
of Steiner street, on nortli side of Geary street 396 feet west
of Steiner street, on soutli side of Geary street, 495 feet west
of Steiner street, on north side of Geary street 594 feet west
of Steiner street, on south side of Geary street 693 feet west
of Steiner street, on north side of Geary street 792 feet west
of Steiner street, on southeast corner of Geary and Scott
streets, on northwest corner of Geary and Si'Ott streets, on
south side of Geary street 103 feet west of Scott street, on
north side of Geary street 206 feel west of Scott street, on
north side of Geary street 103 feel west of Divisadero street, on
south side of Geary street 206 feet west of Divisadero street,
at southeast corner of Geary and Broderick streets, at north-
west corner of Geary and Broderick streets, at southeast
corner of Geary street and Masonic avenue, on north side of
Geary street 200 feet west of Broderick street, at northeast
corner of Gearv and Baker streets, at southwest corner of Geary
and Baker streets, at north side of Geary street 103 feet west
of Baker street, at south side of Geary street 206 feet west
of Baker street, at southeast corner of Geary and Lyon
streets, at the south side of Geary street S6 feet west of Lyon
street, at north side of Geary street 172 feet west of Lyon
street. , .^ , _,
Remove single top gas lamps â€” One on south side of Geary
street 148 feet west of Fillmore street, on southwest corner
of Geary and Steiner streets, on south side of Geary street
310 feet west of Steiner street, on north side of Geary street
472 feet west of Steiner street, on south side of Geary street
633 feet west of Steiner street, on .southwest corner of Geary
and Scott streets, on north side of Geary stieet 175 feet west
of Scott street, on south side of Geary street 1S7 feet west
of Divisadero street, on southwest corner of Geary and
Broderick streets, on north side of Gearv street 151 feet west
of Broderick street, on northwest corner of Geary and Baker
streets, on north side of Geary street 122 feet west of Baker
street, on north side of Geary street 116 feet west of Lyon
Install arc lamps at corner of Rhode Island and Mariposa
streets at corner of Garden lane and Islais creek, at corner
of Cotter street and Islais creek.
STKEET 1.>IPIU)VE.>IEXTS SATISFAtn-ORILY COMPLETED.
Street work has been completed to the satisfaction and a< -
ceptance of the Roard of Public Works at the following lo-
Texas street, between Mariposa and Eighteenth streets:
Clement street, between Fifteenth and Sixteenth avenues;
Tenth avenue between Geary and Anza streets; Steuart street,
between Howard and Folsom streets, westerly one-half of Ar-
kansas street, between Seventeenth and Mariposa streets; Ar-
lington street, between Roanoke and Xatic streets; cross-
ing of Geary street and Eighteenth avenue; crossing of Twen-
tieth avenue and Geary street; Twelfth avenue, between Ful-
ton and Cabrillo streets; southerly half of the intersection of
Hami)shire and Sixteenth streets; Naples street, between Persia
and Russia avenues; Fourteenth avenue, between Geary and
iiiinij.ssioiiers to Issue .Manual Givinj; Inforiiiatiun on Which
.Ipplicant.s Who lÂ»a.ss Medical Tc-st Will He Questi<>ne<I.
.'\11 persons inleiuling to take the Civil Service examina-
tion for iiolicemen must file their applications with the Civil
Service Commissioners. City Hall, 1231 .Market street, on or
before December 7. The medical examinations will begin on
December 16. Those who successfully pass the medical ex-
amination will be later furnished with a "manual" contain-
ing provisions of the Charter, the Penal Code, the municipal
ordinances, the rules of the Police Department, etc., from
which the questions for the written examinations will be
The athletic test will begin .January 2. 1913, and will be
(Total credits, 100. Weight, 35.)
1. Ladder Work. â€” Hand over hand on ladder, up and
down seven rungs. Only one hand allowed on each rung.
Perfect mark, 10 credits.
2. Lifting .50 Pound Dumb Bell. â€” Five consecutive lifts
with each hand. Lifts to be made from lowest reach of arm
to highest reach, without aid of jerk or swing, while stand-
ing erect with feet close together. Perfect mark, 10 credits.
3. High Jump. â€” Four feet two inches, 10 credits; four
feet, eight credits; three feet eight inches, six credits; three
feet four inches, four credits. Use of springboard will not
4. Vaulting the Horse. â€” Perfect vault over horse 4 ft. 4 in.
high, without touching it with any part of body excepting the
hands, 10 credits; good vault, 7Vi credits; fair vault, 5 credits.
.5. Dipping on Parallel Bars. â€” Four dips; 2% credits each.
Dips must be made with legs straight and without assistance of
kick or swing.
6. Carrying 150 Pound Sack of Sand. â€” Sack must be lifted
from floor, placed on shoulder and carried up and down six
steps. Mark, 10 credits.
7. Running. â€” (distance about 145 yards).
Time. Credits. Time. Credits.
IS seconds 40 23 seconds 26
19 seconds 38 24 seconds 22
20 seconds 36 25 seconds 15
21 seconds 34 26 seconds 10
22 seconds 30 27 seconds 5
(Fifth-seconds will be rated proportionately.)
PETITIONS GK.^XTEI) IJV POLICE COM.MISSIOXERS.
The Police Commissioners at their meeting on November
IS. granted the following petitions of retail litiuor dealers:
Thomas B. Duffy, to remove from southwest corner Baker
and Beach streets, to 3 255 Pierce street; Daniel O. Wallace,
to purchase of David Blaine, 630 Golden Gate avenue, and
remove to southeast corner Baker and Lombard streets;
Thomas H. Stevenson, to purchase of John Quinn, 1645 .Mar-
ket street, and remove to 36 Ellis street ( basement i; Melville
Lowenfeld, to purchase of George Sisher, 3126 Fulton street,
and remove to 138 Leidesdorft street; .\lexander Palidini. to
purchase of George D. Jones, SI Jackson street, and remove
to 422 Beach street; Charles Schurman, to remove from
northwest corner Ninth and Folsom streets, to southeast cor-
ner Eighteenth and Sanchez streets.
The following miscellaneous permits also were granted:
Merritt D. Robinson, museum. 1192 Market street; Lau-
rence J. Stamper. i)awnbroker, 9 4 Fourth street; William
Keefe. second-hand dealer. 497 Pacific street; Naftaly Mosk.
second-hand dealer, 700 Market street; Tomotaro Shimizu, to
remove intelligence office from 521 to 4 1 6 Grant avenue.
APPLKWTIONS FILED FOH VAKIOIS PER.MITS.
The following ai)plications for permits will be considered
by the Board of Police Commissioners at a meeting to be
held November 2 5 at 7:30 p. m.:
Saloons (to remove) â€” Daniel R. Dewar from northwest
corner Broderick and Jefferson streets to 3206 Pierce street;
John F. En.geland, from 370 Fifth street to 369 Sixth street.
Second-hand Dealer (new) â€” Frank Bill. 329 Clement street.
Intelligence Office Keeper (to remove) â€” Pearl Morrison,
from southeast corner Third and Mission streets to 1278 .Mar-
ket street, room 227.
Billiard Parlor Keeper (to remove) â€” Constantine Samickin.
from 11 Commercial street, to 176 East street.
V jjublished every Thursday by the Board of Supervisors of the City
â€¢.nd County of San Francisco at City Hall, 1231 Market street, for the
purpose of furnishing: information concerning public municipal Im-
provements and the work of thÂ« several municipal departments.
Copies can be obtained at the various department headquarters, or
A copy will be mailed to any person who will furnish his address to
J. S. Dunnigan, Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, City Hall. 1231
Market street, San Francisco, Gal.
All matter intended for publication should be received not later
than Tuesday noon.
The Recorder Press
28 Montgomery St.
L,.\RGE t'ROWDS VISIT GOLDEX GATE PARK MUSEUJI.
Extensive Collection of Colonial and Civil War Relics Are
Pi'esented by Mrs. Thompson Bosler.
Large crowds thronged the Golden Gate Park Museum
on Sunday last. The last of the Keith pictures were the
center of attraction. The works of Rosa Bonheur and Anna
Klumpke have been gradually taking the place of the Keith
pictures, but the Curator is making arrangements for plac-
ing the Keith pictures permanently in the large art room.
A bronze tablet of Bernard D. Murphy, who settled in
San Jose in 1844, has been received from the St. Claire Club
of the Garden City. It is the work of Haig Pattigan. All oil
painting of another former Mayor of San Jose, Thomas Fal-
lon, is the gift of the Society of California Pioneers.
Two other acquisitions for the Pioneer room are a photo
of William Schuyler Moses, who came to San Francisco
in 1850, received from Mrs. William Moses, and a photo of
the execution of James P. Casey and Charles Cora by the
Vigilantes, the gift of Mrs. Mary C. Ward.
Mrs. Thompson Bosler has donated an extensive collection
of colonial and civil war relics, also curios from China. A
large painting of General U. S. Grant is the gift of William
Gwynn. Dr. F. W. Ross has given an oil painting of the
Madonna of Divine Love.
The natural science department has been enriched by Mrs.
A. O. Steele, who has turned over a large collection of rare
sea shells from Puget Sound. A number of mounted animals
and birds are the gift of Mrs. Thomas Jennings.
JAP.AXESE GOVERXMEXT EXPRESSES THAXKS.
Through Matsuzo Xagai, Consul-General of Japan in San
Francisco, the Japanese Government has expressed its thanks
for the courtesy and hospitality extended to Baron Ozawa of
the Red Cross Society of Japan, who, with his party, visited
San Francisco last April on the way to the international con-
ference of the organization at Washington. The letter follows:
Hon. James Rolph, Mayor of San Francisco. Cal.
Dear Sir: â€” When Baron Ozawa. representing the Red Cross
Society of Japan, and his party came to this city in April
last, on their way to Washington to attend the ninth inter-
national conference of that organization, you were so kind
as to extend to them many courtesies and attentions.
The party returned to Japan last June much gratified with
their trip and highly appreciative of the cordial welcome ex-
tended to them everywhere in America. They have, accord-
ingly, through the president of the Red Cross Society of
Japan, requested the Minister of Foreign Affairs of my gov-
ernment to express their hearty thanks to all who contributed
so much to their comfort and pleasure. Vour honored name
stands very prominentlj- on this list.
I beg. therefore, in compliance with the instructions of the
Minister of Foreign Affairs, to tender to you the sincere
thanks of Baron Ozawa and party.
Consul-General of Japan.
COXCERTS SCHEDULED BY MIXICIPAL BAXD.
The Municipal Band, John A. Keogh, Director, will give a
concert next Sunday afternoon, November 24, at 2 o'clock, in
Garfield Square, at Twenty-fifth and Harrison streets, at
which the following program will be rendered:
"The Star Spangled Banner"
Coronation March, frcm "The Prophet" J. Meyerbeer
Waltzâ€” "iispana" Emile Waldteufel
Overture â€” "il Guaranj " A. Carlo Gomez
selection â€” "The Fortune leller" Victor Herbert
Scene from "11 Trovatore" â€” "Miserere" G. Verdi
soloists â€” Cornel, Mr. Wm. MahooQ; Baritone, Mr. Geo. Barrett.
Gavotte â€” "Soitly. Unawares" Paul JLincke
Collection of Airs from "Boccacio" Franz von Suppe
l^atrol â€” "American" f. W. Jieacnam
Spanish Fanaango â€” "Los Novios" â€” "The Betrothed" Schwartz
1 wo-step â€” "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" Muir and Abraham
On Thanksgiving Day the band will give a concert at Du-
boce Park, Duboce avenue and Scott street. The following pro-
gram has been arranged for that occasion:
"The Star Spangled Banner"
March â€” "Wellington" w. Zehle
Overture â€” "Ciown Diamonds" D. F. E. Auber
(a) Cradle Song â€” "Jocelyn" Benjamin Gouard
^bJ Intermezzo â€” "Dew Drops" ri. Armstrong
Waltz â€” "EumDurgh" Bonnisseau
Solo lor Cornel, Prize Song from the "Mastersingers of Jsurem-
berg" (Mr. W'm. Mahood^ Richard Wagner
Finale, Third Act "Rigoletio" G. % erdi
Including the ce.ebraied quartet and storm scene.
Polonaise â€” "In Jbridal Array" Merzdorf
Medley of Airs â€” "A Nignt in New York" E. Brooks
Popular bong â€” "Moonlight Bay" Percy Wenrich
March â€” "Oh Vou Circus Day" J. Monaco
CIVIL SERVICE LIST OF ELIGIBLE VETERIXAItLAXS.
The Civil Service Commissioners have announced the fol-
lowing eligible list of veterinarians:
Rank. Percentage. Name. Address.
1 87.566 George L. Melody 233 San Jose Ave.
2 87.35 Alexander F. Nagle 5iÂ»7 Dolores St.
3 87. Joseph S. Keane 1282 Mai-ket St.
4 78.525 Frederick E. Cooimins 119 Cortland Ave.
DECLIXES TO REIXSTATE IXSPECTRESS.
The Health Board gave consideration Tuesday evening to
the requests received for the reinstatement of Mrs. Edward L.
Nolan to her position as industrial inspectress, from which she
was recently removed in order to cut down the expenses of the
department. It was decided that nothing could be done under
the present conditions of the board's finances.
The board also took up with Edward Rainey, the Mayor's
secretary, the question of having a special allowance made to
secure the five additional market inspectors declared neces-
sary because Miller & Lux lately elected to work under munici-
pal, instead of federal, inspection. Rainey was unable to hold
out hope that the additional money would be forthcoming.
The following premises were condemned: 1624-54 Ellis
street, condemned and granted 60 days to comply with orders
of Board; 1983y2-85 Howard street, condemned and granted 30
days to comply with orders of Board; 45 Moss street, condemned
and granted 30 days to comply with orders of Board; 1536 Bry-
ant street, ordered torn down and destroyed in 30 days.
The following cases were set for hearing on November 26th:
2209 Pine street, east side of Central avenue, 100 feet north of
Hayes; 205 Fourth avenue; 313 Cornwall street; 1 Anza street.
Births registered for week ended November 16, 175; deaths,
Following is a list of communicable diseases reported during
the week ended November 16: Diphtheria, 12; measles, 1
mumps, 47; whooping cough, 6; pneumonia, 12; scarlet fever, 2
smallpox, 9; tuberculosis, 14; typhoid fever, 3; chickenpox, 26
glanders (animal), 1; erysipelas, 2; rabies (animal), 1.
BRISK WEEK IX THE BVILDIXG LIXE.
During the week ended on the 15th inst. the building in-
spection bureau issued 108 permits, representing a proposed
expenditure of ?908,609.00 for improvements. One of the
permits was for a class "A" building, to cost ?465,000.00.
SCHOOL DIRECTORS TRANSACT MUCH BUSINESS.
City Attorney is Requested to Collect All AiTi-iirs in Kent for
Portion of Paul Revere School LÂ«ot.
At the last meeting of the School Directors. Mrs. Mary
Sullivan was granted two weeks extension of leave ot ab-
sence on half pay, on account of illness. Mary L. Ragan was
granted an extension of leave until the beginning of the
spring term, 1913.
The San Francisco Women's Club was granted permission
to use the Glen Park School auditorium on two afternoons
each month, subject to the usual regulations governing use of
school buildings, except that janitorial compensation is
The request of M. S. Toplitz, on behalf of former pupils
of the Adams School, for permission to use the auditorium
of the Adams School was granted. The pupils will meet in
connection with a memorial to the late Professor Herbst.
The Board of Public Works was requested to set aside
$60.00 for the preparation of plans and specifications for fire
escapes at the Verba Buena School.
Secretary Dodge reported the receipt of $4555.50 rent from
school properties and that he had deposited same with the
A resolution was adopted providing that the cornerstone
of the Franklin School be set in place with suitable exercises
on Sunday, November 24, under the auspices ot the board,
and that the South Central Improvement Association be al-
lowed to co-operate in the exercises.
The Board of Public Works was requested to arrange for
the installation of natural slate blackboards at the Girls'
The City Attorney was requested to collect all arrears in