the taxpayer has ten years in which to pay his assessment
on the bonds. Under the present system assessments for
street construction work must be paid in two installments.
TREASURER TO BURN WORTHLESS P.
The Supervisors at their meeting on Monday, authorized
the Treasurer to destroy a large quantity of bonds that were
cancelled more than two years ago, also unused and value-
less poll tax receipts and other documents not required as
records. The papers will be burned in the presence of repre-
sentatives of the Auditor's office and the Finance Committee of
PLAYGROUNDS CO>nnSSIOXER GRAXTED LEA^-E.
Rev. D. O. Crowley, president of the Playground Commis-
sion, has been granted leave of absence from the State for
sixty days. He left Monday on a trip to Europe.
School Directors Act Upon Usual Routine Business Brought
Before Them at Regular Weekly Meeting.
The Board of Education, at its last meeting, abridged the
leave of absence of Miss Errett and granted her permission to
return to duty at once.
Miss Xina P. Hackley and MiSs Ethel L. Williamson were
granted leaves of absence, because of illness, to the beginning
of the fall term.
The request of Hale Bros, for the privilege of exhibiting
the handiwork of the graduating class of the Polytechnic High
School was granted.
Miss M. R. Carew was appointed yard teacher at the Dud-
ley Stone School, vice Miss Lillian Koch resigned.
Miss Rose F. Lewis was granted leave of absence from the
beginning of the fall term, 1912, to the beginning of the
spring term, 1913, with privilege of returning to position at
the Fremont School.
The request of Italian Free School Society for permission
to use the Garfield School building for purpose of imparting
free tuition in the Italian language after public school hours
The action of the president in granting the Twenty-fourth
Street Improvement Club permission to use the auditorium of
the Bryant School on Wednesday evening, April 17, for the
purpose of lecture by Mr. Schussler, was approved.
The Board of Public Works was requested to furnish the
Board and Supervisors with an itemized statement of any
balances showing in the construction account of any of the
1908 bond issue schools, and requesting the Board of Public
Works to proceed to close said accounts as soon as possible.
A protest was directed to be sent to the Police Commission-
ers against the establishment of a saloon near the Washington
LET COXTRACT FOR PRIXTTNG DELIXQUEXT TAX LIST.
The contract for publishing the delinquent tax list for
1911-12 has been awarded by the Supervisors to the James
H. Barry Company at its bid price of 4 % cents a line.
An'XICIPAL JOTTIXGS OF GEX'ERAL IXTEREST.
The West End Improvement Club has requested that a
half block of land adjacent to the Longfellow School be pur-
chased for a playground site.
Complaint has been made of lack of water pressure in
the district bounded by Bradford street. Carver street, Esmer-
alda street, Rosencrantz street and Mayflower street.
The City League of Improvement Club has requested that
provision be made in the budget for the construction of con-
venience stations throughout the city.
A budget appropriation to provide for the bituminizing
of Lincoln way from Twentieth avenue to the Great Highway,
has been suggested by the Central Sunset Improvement Club.
The Police Department has asked for an appropriation for
the construction of a police station in Greenwich street, be-
tween Scott and Pierce streets, adjacent to the Exposition
Complaint has been made to the Supervisors that the
Southern Pacific Company has failed to replace the old wooden
bridge crossing Duncan street with a steel structure as prom-
The South of Army Street Improvement Association has
asked for an appropriation for the purpose of establishing
a branch of the Free Public Library on Cortland avenue for
the benefit of those living on Bemal Heights.
Bessie Armstrong has complained of inadequacy of water
supply at the Ocean Beach District, stating that additional
irrigation required by beautification campaign and private
garden prize contests will greatly diminish meagre supply.
FIRE COMAUSSIONERS ACT ON >IANY >L\TTERS.
Hoseman on "Uenuis T. Sullivan" is Dismissed From Service
for Having Been Under Inlluence of T^iquor.
The Public Works Commissioners, in a communication
read at the meeting of the Fire Commissioners last Thurs-
day, stated that they will not construct any additional cis-
terns until the fire protection system is further advanced and
they know how much money will be available for the purpose.
The letter was sent in reply to the recommendation of the
fire board that cisterns be constructed at several points in
outlying districts. The program calls for 100 cisterns, 85 of
which have been completed.
A communication was ordered to be sent to St. Francis
Orphan Asylum with a view to having fire escapes provided.
The Civil Service Commission was requested to certify one
captain and a lieutenant from the eligible list.
John Arata of 2863 Twenty-third street was appointed a
lieutenant from the civil service eligible list.
The Board of Education in reply to a request that the
spiral fire escape on the Roosevelt School be put in readiness
for use in case of emergency, stated that the building is
emptied in 70 seconds at a fire drill, whereas seven minutes
are required when the escape is used.
The advisory committee reported that the Police Commis-
sioners had been requested to issue an order making it ground
for revocation of license for a liquor dealer to sell spirituous
liquor to any member of the Fire Department in uniform.
The secretary was instructed to advertise for bids for 20,000
feet of hose.
A letter of thanks was addressed to the Spring Valley
Water Company for having connected the cistern at Forty-
seventh avenue and J street with their mains.
Chief Murphy reported that Engine Company 4 5 had gone
into service on the IGth inst. in the quarters formerly oc-
cupied by Chemical Company 12 in Forty-fifth avenue, be-
tween Hugo and Irving streets. The latter company has tem-
porarily gone out of service.
Battalion Chief Cook reported that while responding to
an alarm on the 12th inst. his horse threw a shoe through
the window of a barber shop at 603 Front street and a small
piece of glass cut P. Lena on the forehead.
Joseph Allen was changed in position from hoseman to
stoker of Engine Company 9 on recommendation of the chief.
The local inspectors of steamboats reported that after an
investigation into the grounding of the fireboat "David Scan-
nell" on the 14th ult. on Anita rock, they had reached the
conclusion that no one was to blame for the accident and
exonerated pilot John Feren.
A communication was ordered sent to the Board of Edu-
cation requesting that fire escape stairways be constructed
from the second and third floors of the Edison School build-
ing so as to afford direct access to the yard. Attention also
was called to the fact that the supporting brackets on the
ladder escape on the south wall is held in place by lag screws
in violation of the building laws.
The recommendation of the chief that fire alarm boxes be
installed at Fifth avenue and Parnassus street and Hugo
street and Arguello boulevard was approved.
Lieutenant MuUoy of Relief Company 1 was reassigned to
duty as lieutenant of Engine Company 7.
George Hartman of 676 Howard street, who stood highest
in the eligible list, was promoted to the rank of captain.
Frank J. Dillon and Albert T. Wynn were appointed hy-
drantmen from the civil service eligible list.
James Burke was temporarily appointed drayman at the
At a special meeting of the Commission held on Friday the
contract for making general repairs to the fireboat "Dennis
T. Sullivan" was awarded to the Union Iron Works.
George Moesch, a hoseman on the fireboat "Dennis T. Sulli-
van", was dismissed from the department for having been
under the influence of liquor while on duty.
John J. Tomalty, a hoseman of Engine Company 23, was
suspended 60 days for a similar offense.
1»IGE.ST OF OPIXIOXS RENDERED BY CITY ATTORNEY.
Following is a digest of opinions rendered by the Ci(^- At-
torney in reply to legal questions asked by municipal officers
To Board of Public Works.
Advising that Dover street, or Cul-de-sac, Is a private street
Advising that the storekeeper of the Corporation Store Yard
is not subject to civil service.
To Board of Police Commissioners.
One who has been conducting a retail liquor saloon within
one hundred and fifty feet of a school cannot move his place
of business to a new location which is within 150 feet of said
To Fire Commissioners.
When an officer, member or employee of the department,
meets with an accident while off duty, and Is temporarily dis-
abled thereby, he is not entitled to the payment of his salary
while so incapacitated.
To Water Kates Coniniittee, Board of Supervisors.
On October 10, 1911, section 19 of Article XI of the State
Constitution concerning rights of water companies, etc.. to the
use of the public streets without obtaining a franchise therefor,
was radically changed, and water companies do not now pos-
sess the right to extend their mains in the unoccupied portions
of the city without a franchise or permit from the Board of
The city cannot therefore now compel the water company
to extend its water pipes and service.
PUBLIC WORKS COAOnSSIONERS NOW IN CITY IL\IiIi.
The offices of the Board of Public Works have been re-
moved from the Hewes Building to the City Hall at 1231
Market street. The new telephone number is Market 505.
.\XOTHER GEARY' STREET RO.\D CONTRACT AWARDED.
The contract for railway track construction on Geary street,
between Kearny street and Fifth avenue has been awarded
by the Board of Public Works to P. H. Mahoney.
PRIV.\TE CONTR.\CTS FOR STREET I>IPRO^'E^IENTS.
Private contracts for doing the following street work have
been allowed by the Board of Public Works:
Sewering Joost avenue, between Genessee and Foerster
streets; p,avlng and curbing intersection of Falrmount and
Whitney streets; sewering Anza street, between Seventeenth
and Eighteenth avenues; sewering Forty-fifth avenue, between
Anza and Balboa streets: sewering Twenty-eighth avenue,
between Ulloa and Vicente streets; curbing and paving easterly
half of Twenty-sixth avenue, between Lincoln way and In'lng
street; grading, curbing and paving Balboa street, between
Thirtv-third and Thirty-fourth avenues; curbing and paving
Clavtbn street, between Parnassus avenue and .\shbury street.
SUTRO FOREST TO BE CLEARED OF COY'OTES.
The Health Officer and his assistants are making an effort
to clear the Sutro Forest of coyotes. Several traps were set
in the forest on Wednesday and if they fail to catch the ani-
mals it is likely that poisoned food will be spread for them.
INGLESIDE RESIDENTS ASK FOR niPRO^^JIENTS.
Th Ingleside Improvement Club has asked the Supervisors
to make provision in the next budget for improvements in
the Ingleside and Lakeview districts. For street repairs and
paving of land in front of city property $35,000 is asked to-
gether with f350 for a library station, $3500 for a fire house,
fire engine and hose cart, and $1800 to provide 30 additional
arc lights in the district.
is published every Tliursday by the Board of Supervisors of the City
and County of San Francisco at City Hall, 1231 Market street, for the
purpose of furnishing information concerning public municipal im-
provements and the work of the several municipal departments.
Copies can be obtained at the various department headquarters, or
a copy will be mailed to any person who will furnish his address to
J. S. Dunnigan, Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, City Hall, 1231
Market street. San Francisco, Cal.
All matter intended for publication should be received not later
than Tuesday noon.
The Recorder Press
28 Mongtomery St.
An alarm of fire can be transmitted by telephone by call-
ing Park 4381
Information relating to arrests, accidents, lost children,
etc., can be obtained by telephoning to Folic* Headquarters,
SALOOXMEX CnilN PERSHSSIOX TO RE>IOVE SALOOXS.
Police Commissioners at Their Regular A\'eekly Meeting Acted
Favorably Upon Several Applications.
The Police Commissioners at their meeting on the 19th
inst. granted Policemen James E. Cottle and Thomas F.
Maher fifteen days' leave of absence each, in addition to their
annual vacation, said leave to be without pay.
The appointment of James Patton as special officer for the
Leffler-Spinks Construction Company was revoked.
Vincenzo Palazzotto was refused appointment as special
policeman at Fisherman's Wharf.
The following retail liquor dealers were granted permis-
sion to remove their places of business:
Alexander Macchia, from 449 Broadway to 1030 Kea:nv
street: Frank Rossi, from 1030 Kearny street to 449 Broad-
way: Michael .Shea, from 3S Seventh street to southeast corner
Seventh and Mission streets: Gustav F. Norbeck. from north-
east Twenty-third and Alabama streets to nortliwest corner
Larkin and Turk streets: Edward W. Hanlon. to purchase
of Charles Knights, northwest comer Batter\- and Union
streets and remove to 65i Merchant street: William H. Roop.
to purchase of Bartholomew Barbieri, 824 Florida street and
remove to southwest corner Mason and Eddy streets: Michael
Lyncli. to purchase of Harr>- W. Wernse. southwest Octavia
and Golden Gate avenue and remove to soutlieast corner Fill-
more and Greenwich streets: Victor L. Coppa. to purchase
of Laurence J. Spiro. southeast corner Sixteenth and Sanchez
streets and remove to 569 Jackson street (basement).
Mrs. Rocco Bulletti and Nathan Ney were denied permis-
sion to remove their saloons, the former from 319 to 311
Broadway and the latter from the California Market to 2061
Domenico Celle was denied his application for permission
to purchase the saloon at the southwest corner of Octavia
and Filbert streets and remove to the southeast corner of
Laguna and Lombard streets.
Otto H. Heyneman was granted permission to open a detec-
tive agency at 760 Market street, Morris Stokvis to conduct
auction house at 2401i-j Howard street and John Woodward
to purchase second-hand store at 534 McAllister street and
remove to 512 McAllister street.
PAX.A>IA-PACrFIC EXPOSITIOX XOTES.
Rules and regulations for the guidance of foreign and do-
mestic participants in the Panama-Pacific International Ex-
position have been prepared by Director-in-Chief Frederick
J. V. Skiff and are being distributed by the Exposition. These
rules specify that the Exposition is to open on February 20th,
1915, and close on December 4th, 1915. They also specify that
625 acres will be devoted to the Exposition and that it will
have a frontage upon the bay at the Golden Gate of 15,000
feet. The main exhibition palaces will be open to visitors at
9 o'clock each day and will be closed at the hour of sunset,
except the Art Palace, which may be open after sunset at
stated times. All applications for sites of buildings and for
outdoor exhibits must be filed on or before June 1st, 1914.
The work of filling in 72 acres of swamp or overflow lands
on the Harbor View site for the Panama-Pacific International
Exposition is under way. The giant dredger, "John McMul-
len", owned by the San Francisco Bridge Company is pumping
mud on the flats and will continue to do so for the next three
or four months. The sand is being taken from the bay close
to the shore at Harbor View. One-half mile of piping is being
used in this important work. More than 1,000,000 cubic
yards of fill will be necessary to complete the contract. This
is the inauguration of work for the coming 1915 Exposition.
Governor Judson Harmon of Columbus. Ohio, has been
especially invited by the Ohio Society of California to come
here and select a site for Ohio's state building. "Buckeyes"
all over this state are anxious that the Governor, who is au-
thorized to come here by the Ohio State Legislature, should
do so at once.
The "Commission Extraordinary to Europe", which is com-
posed of Hon. John Hays Hammond, representative of the
President of the United States; Brigader-General Clarence R.
Edwards, representing the Army; Rear-Admiral Sidney A.
Staunton, representing the Xavy; Messrs. R. B. Hale, Vice-
President of the Exposition and William T. Sesnon, Vice-Presi-
dent of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce, will confer
with the state department officials, and also prepare for their
visit to European courts. The Commission will go direct to
London. The itinerary of the Commission has been arranged
by the state department, and calls for a visit to the capitols
of twenty-four countries in Europe. Theodore Hardee is the
Executive Officer of the Commission and Archibald C. Emery,
George L. Hutchin of the Portland Rose Festival, who is
President of the Festival Associations of the Pacific Coast, re-
ported to the delegates from the various festival organizations
that the great transcontinental railroads are going to feature
the Pacific Coast as the "Play Ground of the World and the
Show Place of America." The Committee adopted by-laws for
conducting the organization. It is planned to advertise every
festival event beginning with Pasadena's Tournament of Roses
on the first of the year and closing with the Christmas carols
in San Francisco. The middlewest and eastern papers heartily
approve the objects of the organization and are giving it a
great deal of space. The Panama-Pacific International Ex-
position of 1915 is lending its support to this splendid plan
of advertising the west.
Colvin B. Brown and J. A. Filcher will represent the
Panama-Pacific International Exposition at the special meeting
of Supervisors of the State, which is to be held at Bakers-
field from April 2 9th to May 3rd. This meeting promises to
be extremely interesting as matters pertaining to the World's
1915 Exposition are to be discussed and settled.
The Supervisors have been requested to fix rates for fur-
A recommendation has been made to the Supervisors that
Nineteenth avenue be declared a boulevard.
Richmond residents have petitioned for a new branch
library at Ninth avenue and Geary street.
CHANGES AMONG EMERGENCY HOSPITAL SURGEONS. HOLD CONFERENCE ON OCEAN BOULEVARD PROJECT.
Board of Healtli Appoints Drs. A. Skoonberg and O. Spaiild-
ing to Succpod Drs. E. McKevitt and Alfred Roncovieri.
At the meeting of the Board of Health on Tuesday last
Drs. A. Skoonberg and O. Spaulding were retired as Emer-
gency Hospital surgeons and Drs. E. McKevitt and Alfred
Roncovieri were appointed to succeed them.
Miss Minnie Andrews was appointed matron at the Relief
Home (temporary) and Miss Marie Fay as graduate nurse.
Both appointees were taken from the civil service eligible
The following premises were condemned as insanitary:
Southeast corner Fillmore street and Plxley avenue, al-
lowed 15 days to tear down; rear of 2560 and 2558 Greenwich
street, 30 days allowed to vacate and tear down; west of 2848
Greenwich street, allowed 30 days to tear down; 117 Gilbert
street and 119a-119b Gilbert street. 90 days to vacate and tear
down; 741 Chenery street, 30 days to comply with require-
The Chief of Police was requested to vacate the following
premises within fifteen days: 140 Harriet street. 259 Harriet
street, 4 80 Fifth avenue, south side St. Rose avenue, between
Collins and Woods, and 9 .Josephine street.
The following new cases were set for hearing on April 30:
617-19 Market street, 62 Converse street, 905 and 1022 Bryant
street, 210, 211, 213 and 254 Langton street.
Health Officer Broderick reported that 168 births were regis-
tered and 124 deaths recorded during the week ended April 20.
The following cases of communicable diseases were reported
during the same period: Diphtheria, 3; erysipelas, 3; measles,
40; mumps, 6; whooping cough, 5; pneumonia, 8; scarlet
fever, 7; smallpox, 3; tuberculosis, 23; typhoid, 2; interior
The arrest of the following dairymen and milk dealers for
alleged violations of the ordinance regulating the sale of
milk were reported: John Witt, Colma; E. A. Green, 271
Geneva; Frank Seamas, 763 McAllister; A. Bianchi, Good-
year; B. Dettling, 4108 Twenty-fifth street; A. S. Barron,
Harry Conklin, plumber at 229 Filbert street, was arrested
for alleged violation of the plumbing law.
CITY OF SPRINGFIELD TO H.\VE SET OF CHUIES.
The city of Springfield, Mass., is building a municipal tower,
auditorium and office building, the total cost of which will
approximate $2,000,000. It is proposed to hang a set of
chimes in the tower. Money for the chimes is being raised
by the school children of the city and by the Board of Trade.
AVILL LECTURE UNDER AUSPICES OP SCHOOL BO.\RD.
Dr. G. R. Hubbell will deliver a lecture at the Burnett
School, Newcomb avenue and Lane street, next Monday even-
ing, on the subject "The Open Air Life vs. Tuberculosis." On
Tuesday evening Carl M. Hansen will lecture at the Sutro
School, Thirteenth avenue, between Clement and California
streets, on the "Scientific Prevention of Accidents." The lec-
tures will be given under the auspices of the Board of Edu-
CONDEMNATION PROCEEDINGS TO BE DIS>USSED.
On the recommendation of City Attorney Long the Board
of Supervisors has agreed to a dismissal of condemnation
proceedings brought against property on the north side of
Golden Gate avenue, between Polk and Larkin streets, which
was at first desired by the City as a part of the Civic
Center site. This was done in justice to the property owners
who would lose their tenants if the suit w-as permitted to
stand while the city was debating whether it would need the
Representatives of .\djoining Counties Meet With Committee
on Interiirban Relations to Discuss Improvement.
Representatives of San Mateo, Monterey and Santa Cruz
counties met Tuesday afternoon with the Committee on In-
terurban Relations, Supervisor J. Emmett Hayden, chairman,
to discuss the project for the construction of a boulevard 120
miles long which shall connect San Francisco with Santa
Cruz and other southern cities, following as far as possible the
line of the ocean.
Among those present at the conference were Supervisors
Hayden, Nolan and Payot, F. A. Hihn of Santa Cruz, Super-
visor James Casey of San Mateo, Dr. John L. D. Roberts, Su-
pervisor of Monterey county; C. Gentry Redmond, secretary
of the Watsonville Chamber of Commerce, who also repre-
sented Mayor Hall of that city; George C. Pratchener, an
engineer of Santa Cruz, and A. D. Shepard, president of the
Pacific Improvement Company, who lives In Monterey. All
expressed themselves as strongly in favor of the project and
declared that the boulevard, when completed, would be known
all over the world.
Supervisor Casey stated that San Mateo county was ar-
ranging to bond itself to the limit for the construction of
such a boulevard, which will follow the coast line a distance
of sixty miles.
Dr. Roberts stated that there would be forty miles of the
boulevard in Monterey county, extending from Watsonville to
Castroville and Monterey.
Engineer Pratchener said that there is being constructed
in Santa Cruz county twenty-four miles of boulevard along
It was agreed that the visiting representatives should ar-
range for a meeting of delegates from all the interested coun-
ties with the members of the State Highway Commission, such
meeting to be held at an early date in this city, when the
proposed plan will be discussed in detail and some definite
course of procedure be determined on.
ALL SHACKS IN FIRE LFMITS MUST COME DOAVN.
Chief Building Inspector Horgan is perfecting arrange-
ments to begin a campaign against the owners of all frame
buildings within the fire limits. He will begin sending out
notices to remove the structures to the affected owners with-
in the next few days. In each instance five days' notice will
be given and at the expiration of that time, or as soon after
as possible, a force of men will be put at work tearing down
all unsightly and menacing structures.
A canvass of the affected district shows that 4 70 property