Science Museum (Great Britain).

Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. online

. (page 4 of 58)
Online LibraryScience Museum (Great Britain)Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. → online text (page 4 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


9-4 knots.

The original armament consisted of a 10-in. pivot gun forward, and 20
8-in. guns on the broadside ; the complement was 220 men.

Displacement, 1,775 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 1,153 tons ; length, 192 ft. ;
breadth, 36 4 ft. ; depth, 22 7 f t. ; mean draught, 16 5 ft.

74. Whole model and drawing of gun-boats " Nix " and
" Salamander." (Scale 1 : 48. ) Contributed by John
Scott Russell, F.R.S, 1868. N. 1230-1.

These two paddle-wheel gun- boats were built and engined in 1851, by
Messrs. Robinson and Russell, for the Prussian Government. During the
Orimean War they were obtained by the English Government, in exchange
for the 36-gun frigate " Thetis," and under the names " Recruit " and
" Weser " were actively engaged.

They were double-ended and could go either end foremost, while their
load draught with coals for 2,000 miles was only 7 ft.

The engines were of the oscillating condensing type, with two cylinders
48 in. diam. by 54 in. stroke, and at 33 revs, per min. indicated 754 h.p.

Steam at 15 lb. pressure was supplied by four tubular boilers, 14 ft.
long, 8 ft. wide, and 6 5 ft. high, with a total grate area of 126 sq. ft. The
weight of the engines, boilers and water was 124 tons, and the coal bunker
capacity was 160 tons.

The paddle-wheels were 17 ft. diam. and had fixed floats 7 ft. by 2 ft.
There were two masts and a sail area of 415 sq. yds. The speed was
11 6 knots.

Load displacement, 468 tons ; tonnage (b.m.), 540 tons ; gross register,
334 tons ; length on load water line, 178 ft. ; breadth, extreme, 26 ft. ;
depth at side, 10 '6 ft. ; draught, loaded, 7 ft. ; immersed midship section,
175 sq. ft.



26

75. Whole model and drawings of paddle frigate " Dantzig."
(Scale 1 : 48.) Contributed by John Scott Russell, F.R.S.,
1868. N. 1227-9.

This wooden vessel was built and engined by Messrs. Robinson and
Russell, at Millwall, about 1851, for the Prussian Navy.

Her principal feature was the arrangement, patented by Mr. Russell in
1850, by which a paddle steamer was enabled to cany a larger armament
than usual, guns being placed on the sponsons in positions usually occupied
by deck houses. The bulwarks spread out at the sponsons, thereby
increasing the deck space, on which the guns could be readily moved ; at
each sponson was a gun, two firing forward and two aft.

Tonnage (b.m.), 1,280 tons ; length on deck, 230 ft. ; breadth, extreme,
34-33 ft. ; depth in engine-room, 20 '25 ft. ; mean draught. 15 ft. ; diameter
of paddle-wheels, 24-33 ft.

76. Lithograph of H.M.S. " Agamemnon." Received 1905.

N. 2396.

This second-rate line-of -battle ship was built of wood at Woolwich, from
the designs of Mr. J. Edye, Acting Surveyor of the Navy, and was launched
in 1852. She was the first screw line- of -battle ship designed for the British
Navy, and as the flagship of Rear- Admiral Sir E. Lyons, G.C.B., took part
in the combined land and sea attack on Sebastopol. In 1857-8 she was.
employed in conjunction with the U.S. frigate " Niagara " in laying the first
Atlantic telegraph cable.

She had horizontal trunk engines, made by Messrs. John Penn and Son,,
with two cylinders 70 and 75 in. diam., by 42-in. stroke, indicating 1,839 h.p..
and driving a propeller 18 ft. diam., 3'3 ft. long, and 20 '5 ft. pitch, which,
at 60 revs, per min., gave a speed of 11 knots.

Armament : Lower deck, 36 8-in. guns, 65 cwt. ; main deck, 34 32-prs.,
56 cwt. ; upper deck, three 8-in., 95 cwt. ; upper deck, ten 18-in., 85 cwt.

The complement was 820 men.

Displacement, 3.750 tons ; burden, 3,102 tons ; length, 230 ft. ; breadth,
55 5 ft. ; depth, 24 5 ft. ; draught of water aft, 20 3 ft., forward, 17 6 ft.

77. Rigged model of H.M.S. " Himalaya." (Scale 1 : 48.)
Lent by J. Hughes, Esq., 1888. N. 1807.

This was a ship-rigged passenger and cargo steamer, built of iron at
Blackwall in 1853, for the Peninsular and Oriental Co. In 1854 she was.
purchased by the Government, fitted as a troopship, and employed in that
capacity during the Crimean War and subsequently, but is now used as a
coal hulk at Devonport.

She had six watertight bulkheads, and stowed 1,200 tons of coal. Her
complement was 213 men.

The engines, by Messrs. John Penn and Son, were on the trunk system,
with two cylinders, 84 in. diam. by 42 -in. stroke, indicating 2,500 h.p. at
55 revs, per min. These drove a single propeller 18 ft. diam. by 28 ft.
pitch, weighing 7 tons.

In 1854 she made a record passage from Gibraltar to Malta in 74' 5 hours,
at a mean speed of 13' 5 knots.

Displacement, 4,690 tons; length, 340 ft.; breadth, 46 '2 ft.; depth,
34 -3ft. ; draught, 21 -4 ft,

78. Lithograph of launch of H.M.S. "Royal Albert."
Received 1908. N. 2506.

This lithograph, by T. G. Button and W. Simpson, represents the
launching of H.M.S. " Royal Albert ?> at Woolwich Dockyard in 1854. A
number of contemporary paddle steamers, sailing vessels and river craft are
included in the picture.

The " Royal Albert " was designed by Mr. Oliver Lang and was laid
down in 1842 as a wooden built sailing line-of -battle ship ; before launching,
however, she was converted into a screw steamship. Her engines were of
the horizontal trunk type, made by Messrs. John Penn and Son (see No. 845)



27



with cylinders equivalent in diameter to 64 25 in. by 40-in. stroke ; on tria?
in November, 1854, with a steam pressure of 20 Ib. per sq. in. and at
69 revs, per min., the engines indicated 1,800 h.p., giving the vessel a speed
of 13 knots. She was fitted with a propeller 17 ft. diarn. and 19 ft. pitch.

Her large armament of 131 guns was thus distributed : Lower deck,,
ten 8-in. shell guns and 26 long 32-prs. ; middle deck, six 8-in. guns and
30 32-prs. ; main deck, 38 32-prs. ; upper deck, 20 32-prs. ; forecastle deck,.
one 68-pr.

The principal dimensions of the vessel as completed were : Length
(b.p.), 232 75 ft. ; breadth, extreme, 61 5 ft. ; depth, extreme, 66 ft. ; depth
of hold, 24 '2 ft. ; burden (b.o.m.). 3,726 tons; displacement, 5,571 tons.

79. Lithograph of " The Fleets Becalmed." Received 1910.

N. 2535.

This lithograph, by R. Carrick and T. G. Dutton, from an original by
O. "W. Brierly, represents the allied British and French Fleets in the Baltic
in 1854. In the foreground, getting up steam, are the following early types
of British warships :

" Blenheim," screw two-decker, of 56 guns, built at Deptford in 1813 a*
a 74-gun ship and converted about 1846. She was of 1,747 tons burden and
had horizontal direct-acting engines, by Messrs. Seaward and Capel, giving-
a speed of 6*5 knots. "Majestic," screw two-decker of 80 guns, built at
Pembroke in 1843-9 and converted to screw 1853. Burden, 2,590 tons :
length, 190 ft. ; breadth, 57 ft. " Princess Royal," screw two-decker of"
91 guns, built at Portsmouth in 1841-54. She had horizontal engines, by
Maudslay, Sons and Field, of 1,491 indicated h.p., giving a speed of 11 knots.
Burden, 3,130 tons; length, 217 ft.; breadth, 58 ft. "Royal George/~
screw three-decker of 120 guns, built at Chatham in 1827-53. She had
horizontal trunk engines, by John Penn and Son, giving a speed of 9 *3 knots.
Burden, 2,616 tons ; length, 205 ft. ; breadth, 54 -5 ft. " Lightning," paddle
despatch vessel of 3 guns. Burden, 296 tons.



80. Lithograph of " The Fleet at Anchor."



Received 1910.

N. 2534.

This lithograph, by T. G. Dutton, from an original by O. W. Brierly, shows
a number of typical British men-of-war which took part in the operations of
1854 against Russia in the Baltic and Black Seas. The vessels are moored
with their principal sails loosened for drying and their crews in the rigging
preparing to furl sails ; some ships' boats, employed on various duties,,
appear in the foreground. All the vessels shown were of wood construction - r
available particulars of each are given in the accompanying table :



N"ame.


Type.


Guns.


Built.


Length.


Breadth.


Bur-
den.










Feet.


Feet.


Tons.


Duke of Wel-


Screw three-decker


131


1849 52


240-5


60-1


3,771


lington














Queen


Sailing three-decker


116


1833-40


204-2


60


3,104


St. Jean d'Acre


Screw two- deckei-


101


1851-3


238


55-3


3,199


Agamemnon


Screw two -deckei-


91


1849-53


230


55-5


3,102


Prince Regent -


Screw two-decker


90


1823








;


Ajax


Screw two-decker


58


1848


176


48-5


1,760


London -


Sailing two-decker


92


1840


205-5


54-4


2,626


Imperieuse


Screw frigate


60


1850-3


212


50


2,355^


Amphion -


Screw frigate


36


1845


177


43-5


1,290


Encounter


Screw corvette


14


1845


190


33-1


953


Sidon


Paddle frigate


22


1845-6


208


37


1,330


Leopard -


Paddle frigate


12





__





1,412


Black Eagle


Paddle auxiliary -


1


1831


168


26-4


540




i





28



81. Lithographs of war-vessels (1765-1878). Received 1907.

N. 2433.

The vessels represented are :



Name.


Type.


Launched


Length.


Breadth.


Displace-
ment.








Feet.


Feet.


Tons.


Trafalgar -


Sailing two-decker,


1841


206


54-6


3,850




wood










Victoria & Albert


Wood


1855


300


40


2,470


Tictoiy


Sailing three-decker,


1765


186


52


3,800




wood










C Shah


Screw frigate, iron


1873


334-7


52


5,700


\ Huascar


Turret-ship, iron -


1866


200


35


1,100


Duke of Wel-


Screw three-decker,


1852


240-5


60


6,071


lington


wood










Royal Alfred -


Screw frigate, wood


1864


273


59


6,000


Yolage


Screw corvette, iron


1874


270


42


3,080


Warrior


Screw frigate, iron


1860


380


58


9,000


iSerapis


Screw troopship, iron


1866


370


49


6,211


Narcissus -


Screw frigate, wood


1859


228


51-2


3,548


Bellerophon


Central battery, iron


1866


300


56


7,550


Iron Duke


Central battery, iron


1871


280


54


6,010


Minotaur -


Screw frigate, iron


1867


400


59-4


10,700


Agincourt -


Screw frigate, iron


1868


400


59-4


10,600


Hercules -


Central battery, iron


1868


325


59


8,500


Captain


Turret- ship, iron -


1869


320


53


6,950


Neptune -


Turret -ship, iron -


1878


300


63


9,310


fExcellent


Sailing three-decker,


1810


190


52-3


3,994


I


wood










^ Calcutta


Sailing two-decker,


1831


196-5


51-5


2,590




wood










LVeriion -


Sailing frigate, wood


1832


176


52-7


2,388


Glatton -


Turret- ship, iron -


1872


245


54


4,910


Inconstant


Screw frigate, iron


1868


337-3


50-25


5,780



82. Drawing of H.M.S. " Marlborough."
Maudslay Collection, 1900.



(Scale 1 : 48.)
N. 2251.



The " Maiiborough " was a wooden line-of-battle ship of 131 guns,
designed by the Admiralty and laid down in 1850 at Portsmouth as a sailing
vessel, but converted for auxiliary screw propulsion in 1852 and launched
in 1855.

The engines, by Messrs. Maudslay, Sons & Field, were of the return
connecting-rod type with two cylinders 82 in. diam. by 48 in. stroke
(see No. 834). With a boiler pressure of 20 Ib. they made 57 -5 revs,
per minute and indicated about 3,000 h.p., which gave the vessel a speed
of 11 2 knots ; the slip of the screw was 21 - 8 per cent. The screw was
19 ft. diam., 25 -3 ft. pitch, and 3-5 ft. long, with two blades, and was
arranged for being lifted when not in use.

Her armament was : Lower deck, ten 8-in. guns and 26 32-prs. ; middle
deck, six 8-in. and 30 32-prs. ; main deck, 38 32-prs. ; upper deck, 20 32-prs.
and one 68-pr. Her complement was 1,100 men.

Displacement, 6,050 tons; length, 245-5 ft.; breadth, 61'2 ft.; depth,
25 8 ft. ; draught, mean, 26 3 ft.



29

83. Whole models of gun-boats " Bann " and " Brune." (Scale
1 : 48.) Contributed by John Scott Russell, F.R.S., 1862.

N. 897,

These small paddle-wheel gun-boats were built by Messrs. Russell & Co,
in 1856, as improvements on the "Nix" and "Salamander" (see No. 74) r
which were found to be too limited in accommodation. Additional room
was obtained by adopting the usual form of stern while retaining the
facilities for going in either direction. They were, however, of smaller size,
and had a load draught of only 4 ft., with coal sufficient for 800 miles.

They were constructed on the longitudinal system and with "wave-
lines." Bulkheads separated the coal bunkers on the sides from the engine
and boiler rooms, and these bulkheads were united at the top by a continuous
covering plate, so that each side of the ship was a complete box girder.

The engines were of the angular oscillating condensing type, with two-
cyliilders 40 in. diam. by 42 in. stroke, working on a single crank ; when
making 36 revs, per mm. they indicated 364 h.p.

Steam at 20 Ib. pressure was supplied by two tubular boilers, 15 ft. long,.
6-8 ft. wide, and 7 ft. high, having a total grate area of 72 sq. ft. and
1,616 sq. ft. of heating surface. The weight of the boilers was 10-15 tons
and of the water in them 24 tons.

The paddle-wheels were 13 ft. diam., and each had 14 fixed floats 6 '5 ft,
by 1 5 ft. There were also three pole masts, with fore and aft sails having
a total area of 240 sq. yds.

Load displacement, 193 tons ; tonnage (b.m.), 267 tons ; length, on load
water line, 140 ft. ; breadth, extreme, 20 ft. ; depth at side, 8 5 ft. ; draught
of water, laden, 4 ft. ; immersed midship section, 75 76 sq. ft.

84. Rigged model of H.M.S. " Racoon." (Scale 1 : 64.)
Lent by H.R.H. the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, K.G.,
1865. N. 1064.

This ship-rigged spar-decked corvette was built of wood, and launched
at Chatham in 1857, to the designs of Sir Baldwin Walker.

The engines were of 400 h.p., and drove a single screw.

The armament was : Main deck, 20 8-in. guns, weighing 60 cwt. ; upper
deck, two 68-pr. guns, weighing 95 cwt. ; ship's complement, 280 men.

Burden, 1,467 tons ; length, 200 ft. ; breadth, 40 '3 ft. ; depth, 22 -6 ft.

85. Water-colour drawing of H.M.S. "Victoria." (1859.)
Presented by C. L. Pickering, Esq., 1895. N. 2070.

This represents H.M.S. " Victoria," the last and finest line- of -battle ship
constructed of wood for the British Navy. She was a 121-gun three-decker,
launched at Portsmouth in 1859, commissioned in 1864, and discarded in 1867,
after having served as flagship in the Mediterranean.

The picture, painted by Mr. Pickering in 1860, shows a general view of the-
ship, together with an enlarged detailed view of the bow. She was built for
screw propulsion, and her engines, which were of the horizontal return-
connecting-rod type, by Maudslay, indicated 4,400 h.p. ; the boilers supplied
steam at 22 Ib. pressure, and the speed attained was 12 knots.

Her armament was : Lower deck, 32 8-in. guns ; middle deck, 32 32-prs. ;
main deck, 34 32-prs. ; upper deck, 22 32-prs., one 68-pr. ; and her comple-
ment was 1,130 men.

Length, over all, 300 ft, ; length between perpendiculars, 260 ft. ; breadth,
extreme, 60-08 ft.; breadth, moulded, 58-4 ft.; depth of hold, 26 -8 ft.;
tonnage, 4,126 tons.

86. Whole model of a proposed warship. (Scale 1 : 96.)
Contributed by Messrs. Westwood and Baillie, 1865.

N. 1076.

This design was submitted to the Admiralty in 1862 by Messrs. Westwood
and Baillie. It shows a broadside battery, supplemented by a number of fixed



30

semi-circular towers, each provided with three ports which permit a single
gun, pivoted within, being trained through a considerable angle. Direct
fore-and-aft fire is obtained through ports in the bow and stem.

Length (b.p.), 365 ft.; breadth, 60 ft.;, draught, 22 '5 ft.; displacement,
^8,000 tons ; armament, 22 guns.

87. Half block model of a corvette of the "Alabama" class.
(Scale 1 : 64.) Designed and lent by Geo. Turner, Esq.,
1864. N. 1035.

The " Alabama " was built at Messrs. Laird's yard, Birkenhead, and
launched on the loth May, 1862. She left Liverpool on the 29th May,
proceeding to the Azores, and remained at Terceira until the arrival of a vessel
from London, having on board six guns, ammunition, coals, &c. for her.
Two days after, the screw steamer "Bahama" arrived, having on board
Oapt. Raphael Semmes, of the Confederate Navy, and other officers, besides
two more guns. The transfer of the guns arid stores having been com-
pleted, the " Alabama " (now first known by that name) sailed from Terceira
on August 24th, 1862, with 26 officers and 85 men. Her escape cost the
British nation 3,000,OOOZ. in 1873.

She was a wooden-built, three-masted, barque-rigged screw steamer.
Her engines were horizontal, of 300 nominal h.p., and she stowed 350 tons
of coal. Her speed under steam was 12 to 13 knots, and under steam and sail
15 knots. The armament was six 32-prs. on the broadside, and two pivot
guns amidships, one of them being a 100-pr. Blakeley.

Register, 1,040 tons ; length, 220 ft. ; breadth, 32 ft. ; depth, 17 feet.

She was sunk in action off Cherbourg on June 19th, 1864, by the
U.S.S. " Kearsarge."

88. Whole model of the cruiser " Shenaiidoah." (Scale 1 : 48.)
Lent by John Jones, Esq., 1896. N. 2091.

This represents the composite-built, full-rigged clipper ship " Sea King,"
built at Glasgow in 1863 for the China trade. She had an auxiliary screw,
which could be lifted when the wind was favourable, and made the passage
home from Shanghai in 79 days, including five days employed in coaling.

The vessel was afterwards purchased by agents of the Confederate
States of America, who sent her to sea armed as a privateer, when she
soon became notorious as the cruiser " Shenandoah." During the American
war (1860-64) she destroyed 37 ships of the Northern States, chiefly whalers,
causing the price of sperm oil to rise from 70Z. to 120Z. per ton ; in November,
1865, she proceeded to Liverpool to surrender, and was handed over to the
United States. She carried a crew of 133 men.

Her engines were of 200 nominal h.p. ; register tonnage, 1,018 tons ;
length, 220 ft, ; breadth, 32-5 ft. ; depth, 20-5 ft.

89. Lithograph of U.S. ironclad " Dictator." Presented by
J. Ericsson, Esq., 1865. N. 705.

This early ironclad ram of the " Monitor " type was built in 1863, during
the American Civil War, at the Delamater Iron Works, U.S.A., from the
design of Mr. Ericsson. Her frames were of iron, and the wooden skin was
3-5 ft. thick. Her sides were protected by 11 in. of iron, 5 in. of which
were solid bars 5 in. by 3 in., and the rest in single 1-in. plates ; the deck
was plated with 1 5 in. of iron. A solid ram, built up of oak and iron,
projected 22 ft. beyond the bow, and there was a single turret 24 ft. inside
diam., protected by 15 in. of iron in plates 1 in. thick, the whole weighing
500 tons.

She was propelled by an Ericsson vibrating lever-engine, with two
cylinders 100 in. diam., by 48-in. stroke, indicating 5,000 h.p. The screw
was 21 '5 ft. diam., by 34 ft. pitch, and was in a single casting weighing
17-4 tons.



31

Steam was supplied by six boilers, with 56 furnaces, a grate area of
1,120 sq. ft., and a heating surface of 34,000 sq. ft. The speed attained was
~S 3 knots, while the coal consumption at full speed was 7 3 tons per hour.

The armament consisted of two smooth-bore 15-in. Ericsson guns,
throwing a spherical shot weighing 460 lb., propelled by a charge of
SQ lb. of powder.

Tonnage, 3,033 tons ; length, 320 ft. ; breadth, 50 ft. ; depth of hold,
22 ft. ; draught of water, 20 ft.

90. Whole model of H.M.8. "Helicon." (Scale 1:48.)
Received 1901. N. 2273.

This paddle steamer was built of wood at Portsmouth, in 1861-65, as a
despatch vessel, but after serving in this capacity for some years she was,
in 1885, converted into an Admiralty yacht and renamed " Enchantress."

For many years prior to the building of the " Helicon " it had been
contended that a projecting cutwater, or " plough bow," was conducive to
speed, and it was with the object of settling this question that Sir E. J. Reed
decided to experiment upon the two identical vessels, " Helicon " and
" Salamis," then under construction. He accordingly had the forebody of
*' Helicon " remodelled, by removing the overhanging head- knee and rails,
giving it fuller sections forward, and extending the cutwater 5 ft. at about
the water line till the lines shown in the model were arrived at. The lines
of " Salamis " were not altered, and both ships were fitted with engines,
made from the same patterns, by Messrs. Ravenhill, Salkeld & Co., and
having a pair of oscillating cylinders, 61 in. diam. by 54-in. stroke, driving
paddle-wheels 20 5 ft. diam. During 1865 a number of trials were made
with the two vessels, with the result that " Helicon " proved to be from 1 to
1*5 knots faster and fo pitch less than " Salamis," but her success was
generally conceded to be partly due to her additional length of water line
and increased buoyancy forward.

Both the British and French Admiralties adopted the "plough" bow in
their early ironclads, and in later French warships a prolongation of the
bow just below the water line was combined with the ram. At the time
of the trials, the engines of "Helicon" indicated 1,610 h.p., and gave her
a speed of 14 5 knots.

Displacement, 945 tons ; length (b.p.), 220 ft. ; breadth, 28 2 ft. ; draught,
mean, 10 1 ft.

A photograph of the vessel is also shown.

91. Water colour draAviug of H.M.S. " Bellerophon," by
W. Mitchell, 1873. Received 1899. N. 2197.

This iron-built armoured frigate was designed by Sir E. J. Reed in 1863
and completed for sea three years later. She was 80 ft. shorter than the
" Warrior" of 1861, and 100 ft. shorter than the "Minotaur" of 1867,
which was, however, an earlier design; as regards protection, cost, and
handiness, she was a great advance upon both of these earlier types.

She was ship-rigged and had two telescopic funnels ; the lower masts were
built of iron, while most of the smaller spars were of steel. The hull was
protected by a complete water-line belt of 6-in. armour, and there was a
central battery, with its deck 9 ft. above the water-line, protected by similar
armour and terminal bulkheads 5 in. thick ; the conning tower was armoured
with 8 -in. plates.

This vessel was one of the first built with the projecting spur ram ; she
was fitted with the Stanhope balanced rudder, while her internal construction
embodied several important departures from previous practice (see No. 659).

She was propelled by a set of horizontal direct-acting trunk engines,
constructed by Messrs. J. Penn and Son at Greenwich ; with a boiler pressure
of 26 lb. they indicated 6,048 h.p., and with a two-bladed Griffiths screw
gave a speed of 14 '2 knots. During some light- draught trials with a four-
bladed propeller, " negative slip " was obtained, the speed of the ship being
13 per cent, in excess of that deduced from the pitch of the screw. She



32

can-led 600 tons of coal and had a steaming radius of 2,000 nautical miles
at medium speed.

Her original main arnanient consisted of ten 12-ton M.L.R. guns in the
citadel and several 6 5-ton guns for fore-and-aft fire, but this was subse-
quently improved and Q.F. guns added.

Displacement, 7,550 tons ; length, 300 ft. ; breadth, 56 ft. ; draught,
26-6 ft.

92. Lithographs of war-vessels launched at Blackwall (1860-96).
Received 1907. N. 2434.

The following table gives particulars of the vessels represented :



Name.


Type.


Navy.


Date.


Length.


Breadth.


Dis-
place-
ment.










Feet.


Feet,


Tons.


Warrior -


Screw frigate, iron


British


1860


380


58


9,000


Minotaur -


Screw frigate, iron


British


1867


400


59-4


10,700


Victoria -


Screw frigate, iron


Spanish


1865


318


55-9


7,250


Konig Wilhelm


Screw frigate, iron


German


1868


355


60


9,757


King George -


Central battery,


Greek


1867


200


32-9


1,774




iron












Avni Illah


Central battery,


Turkish


1869


226-3


36


2,400




iron












Messoudiye


Central battery,


Turkish


1874


331-4


59


9,120




iron












Vasco da Grama


Central battery,


Portu-


1876


200


40


2,479




iron


guese










Blenheim


Cruiser, steel


British


1890


375


65


9,000


Benbow -


Battleship, steel -


British


1888


330


68-5


10,600


Sanspareil


Battleship, steel -


British


1889


340


70


10,470


Grafton -


Cruiser, steel


British


1892


360


60


7,350


Fuji



Online LibraryScience Museum (Great Britain)Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. → online text (page 4 of 58)