Science Museum (Great Britain).

Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. online

. (page 5 of 58)
Online LibraryScience Museum (Great Britain)Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. → online text (page 5 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Battleship, steel -


Japan-


1896


374


73


12,320






ese











93. Rigged model of Turkish frigates " Osmanea," " Azizea,"
and " Orkhanea," (Scale 1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs.
R. Napier and Sons, 1867. Plate III, No. 2. N. 1168.

These three armour-clad frigates were built of iron at Glasgow in
1864-66. The side armour is 5 25 in. and 4 in. thick.

The engines have two cylinders 92 in. diam., by 48-in. stroke, indicate
2,600 h.p., and give a speed of 12 knots ; the propeller is 20 ft. diam., and
28 '5 ft. pitch. Capacity of coal bunkers, 750 tons.

The armament originally intended was to have been 42 guns, but this
was altered and the vessels were converted into barbette ships. The ship's
complement was 600 men.

Displacement, 6,450 tons ; length, 293 ft. ; breadth, 56 ft. ; depth of
hold, 24-8 ft.; draught, 25 -6 ft.

A photograph, N. 1311, is also exhibited.

94. Whole models of proposed warships. (Scale 1 : 48.)
Lent by Geo. Turner, Esq., 1864. N. 1032-4.

These designs for three classes of warships were prepared by Mr. Turner,,
of Woolwich Dockyard. Each provides a central main battery, with sloping
sides ; while a fore-and-aft fire is given by guns at the height of the spar



33

deck, behind a transverse semi-circular shield at each end of the broadside
battery. The arrangement has to some extent been incorporated in several
war- vessels of later date.

(a) represents a vessel of the following dimensions : Length (b.p.),
444 ft. ; breadth, 66 ft. ; draught, 27 ft. ; displacement, 13,000 tons ; arma-
ment, 34 heavy guns.

(6) has a " ram " bow, and has the following dimensions : Length (b.p.),
330 ft. ; breadth, 64 ft. ; draught, 27 ft. ; displacement, 9,000 tons ; arma-
ment, 22 heavy guns.

(c) has a " ram " bow ; the dimensions are : Ljength (b.p.), 210 ft. ;
breadth, 40 ft. ; draught, 25 ft. ; displacement, 3,000 tons ; armament, eight
heavy guns. '

95. Whole model of Brazilian gunboats " Colombo " and
" Cabral." (Scale 1 : 48.) Presented by J. K. Rennie
Esq., 1893. N. 1410.

These twin-screw armoured gunboats were built of iron at Greenwich in
1866 by Messrs. J. and G. Rennie, to the order of the Brazilian Govern-
ment. They are constructed with central batteries, and can fire two guns
right ahead, two right astern, or four on the broadside.

Their speed was 10 knots, and armament four 68-pr. 95-cwt. guns. When
leaving England for Brazil their ends were housed over as far as the batteries
to fit them for the ocean voyage.

Tonnage (b.o.m.), 858 tons ; length, 160 ft. ; breadth, 34 ft. ; depth, 17 ft.

96. Rigged model of H.M.S. "Northumberland." (Scale
1 : 24.) Contributed by the Millwall Iron Works and
Shipbuilding Co., 1865. N. 1071.

This armoured first-class cruiser was built of iron at Millwall in 1865,
and completed in 1868, from designs prepared by the Admiralty. The
model, which represents the ship with three masts and 58 guns, was made
before the masting and the armament were settled ; on launching she had
five masts and 28 guns. She was re-boilered and her armament increased
in 1895, but is now a depot hulk.

The engines are represented by a separate model (see No. 845.).

Her armour is 5*5 in. thick, with 9-in. teak backing. The armament
on launching was : On the main deck, four 12-ton 9-in. M.L.R. guns and
22 9-ton 8-in. M.L.R. guns; on the upper deck, two 6 -5-ton 7-in. B.L.R.
guns. Ship's complement, 701 men.

The " Northumberland " was the first vessel in the Navy fitted with
Mr. Macfarlane Gray's steam, steering gear, which was originally invented
for the "Great Eastern." She has two sisters, the "Agincourt" and
" Minotaur " (see prints, No. 81).

Displacement, 10,780 tons; length, 400-25 ft.; breadth, 59-3 ft.; depth
of hold, 21 08 ft. ; draught, 27 25 ft.

97. Photograph of H.M.S. "Malabar." Presented by Messrs.
R. Napier and Sons, 1869. N. 1311.

This barque-rigged screw-propelled troopship was built of iron at
Glasgow in 1867 by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, from designs prepared by
the Admiralty. She was one of the five troopers built expressly for the
conveyance of soldiers between England and India. On the discontinuance
of this service she was sent to Bermuda as a receiving ship.

The engines were simple, with two cylinders 94 in. diameter by 48 in.
stroke, which indicated 4,890 h.p., and gave a speed of 13 knots. The coal
bunker capacity was 1,254 tons. The ordinary trooping capacity was
1,200 men.

Displacement, 6,211 tons; length, 360 ft.; breadth, 49 ft.; depth of
hold, 22-3 ft. ; draught of water, 20 ft.

u 6773 C



34

98. Rigged model of Halsted's first-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N.1170.

This is one of a series of models prepared for illustrating the system of
warships proposed in 1866 by the late Vice- Admiral E. P. Halsted. The
ships were designed by Mr. C. F. Henwood; the turrets and the tripod
system of masting were arranged by Capt. Cowper Coles, R.N., while the
guns were to be on Sir Joseph Whitworth's hexagonal system, mounted on
muzzle pivoting carriages designed by Capt. Heathorn, R.A., and worked
by the gear of Capts. Scott and Cunningham.

Admiral Halsted and his colleagues proposed the construction of a
limited number of types of warship, from which any special requirements
of a navy could be met, and this complete collection of models was prepared
to show the type and size of the vessels which were to be their standards.
It was considered that by the uniformity of arrangement and the repetition
of parts thus obtainable, the cost of naval armaments would be very greatly
reduced.

The leading feature of these vessels is the combination of the turret
and broadside systems of gun mounting ; there are, however, many other
peculiarities in the scheme, the details of which have been carefully worked
out, so that the designs and models give much information on the methods
of construction in favour at the period.

This model of the proposed " Dreadnought" represents the highest class
of battleship provided for. She was to be constructed with longitudinal
and transverse frames, similar to those of H.M.S. "Achilles," " Agincourt,"
&c., with inner and outer skins. The space between the two skins and at
the ends was to be divided into watertight cells, while armour and com-
posite backing were to extend the whole length of the ship, reduced, however,
in thickness at the ends. There were to be seven turrets, with 8 in. of iron
and a heavy composite backing, while the side armour of the hull was to be of
6-in. plates similarly backed. The model shows a flying deck constructed
as a girder, from which the yards were to be worked, boats stowed, &c. ; the
ship's rails are made to fall outwards when cleared for action. The vessel
is ship-rigged, with iron tripod masts, topmasts and topgallant masts fidded
abaft the lower masts, and double topsail yards. Horizontal screw engines
were to be employed, and these are arranged amidships with boiler rooms
before and abaft, which explains the great distance between the funnels.
A single screw is provided which can be lifted when not in use.

The turrets carry 14 Whitworth 9-in. guns, and on the main deck is a
battery of four 7-in. guns, and ten 4-in guns.

Tonnage (b.o.m.), 10,764 tons; length, 455 ft.; breadth, 70 ft.; depth,
28ft.; draught, 26 -5 ft.

99. Half block model of Halsted's second-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1173.

This proposed " Powerful " represents a design on Yice- Admiral
Halsted's system ; there are six turrets with two guns in each. The ship is
represented as being in a dry dock and resting on the blocks ; the starboard
side is complete, but the port side shows a longitudinal section of the vessel.

Displacement, 13,602 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 9,652 tons ; length.
438 75 ft. ; breadth, 67 5 ft. ; depth, 28 ft. ; draught, 26 6 ft.

100. Half block model of Halsted's third-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1174.

This " Dauntless " resembles the proposed " Powerful " (see No. 99),
but is smaller and has only five turrets.

Displacement, 12,100 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 8,618 tons ; length,
422-5 ft. ; breadth, 65 ft. ; depth, 28 ft. ; draught, 26 -5 ft.



35

101. Half block model of Halsted's fourth-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48). Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1175.

This " Formidable "is a smaller modification of the proposed
" Powerful " (see No. 99), and has only four turrets.

Displacement, 10,000 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 6,778 tons ; length, 390ft. ,-
breadth, 60 ft. ; depth, 26 -5 ft. ; draught, 25-5 ft.

102. Half block model of Halsted's fifth-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1176.

"This "Defence" is a still smaller modification of the proposed
" Powerful " (see No. 99), and has only three turrets.

Displacement, 9,100 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 5,906 tons ; length, 373 75
ft. ; breadth, 57 -5 ft. ; depth, 26 -5 ft. ; draught, 25-5 ft.

103. Rigged model of Halsted's sixth-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1171.

This " Active " is a corvette combining the turret and broadside con-
struction. The vessel is ship-rigged, with iron tripod lower masts, topmasts
and topgallant masts fidded abaft the masts, and double topsail yards.
She has a flying deck from which the yards, boats and anchors would be
worked, and an upper deck with two turrets each armed with two Whit-
worth 9-in. guns, whilst on the main deck would be ten Whitworth 7-in.
broadside guns.

Tonnage (b.o.m.), 4,926 tons ; length, 367 -5 ft. ; breadth, 52 -5 ft. ;
depth, 25 ft. ; draught of water, 24 5 ft.

104. Half block model of Halsted's seventh-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R, Napier and Sons, 1867.

N. 1177.

The "Vigilant" was to have two turrets with two guns in each, and a
small broadside armament.

Displacement, 7,400 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 4,615 tons ; length,
346-25 ft. ; breadth, 52-5 ft. ; depth, 25 ft. ; draught, 24-5 ft.

105. Whole model of Halsted's eighth-rate warship. (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1867.

K 1172.

This " Vedette " was to have a single turret containing two Whitworth
9-in. guns, and on her main deck ten Whitworth 5 5 in. guns ; she was to
be used as a despatch vessel.

Displacement, 5,700 tons ; tonnage (b.o.m.), 3,648 tons ; length,
332 5 ft. ; breadth, 47 ft. ; depth, 23 ft. ; draught, 22 -5 ft.

Several sections and details of the Halsted vessels are shown in the
construction models (see Nos. 656-7 and 710-1).

106. Whole model of circular floating battery. (Scale 1 : 72.)
Lent by W. Smith, Esq., 1870. N. 1319.

This arrangement was designed and patented by Mr. John Elder in 1867.
It was to have been armour-plated, divided into a great number of com-
partments, and armed with 26 guns in a lower battery and 10 in a central
one. The sharp-edged circumference was to be used as a ram, and many
other modifications were suggested, but the battery represented was to have
been of the following dimensions : Diameter, 144 ft. ; freeboard, 6 ft. ;
draught, 9 ft.

c 2



36

This proposal of Mr. Elder's is probably the first design for a circular
battery ship propelled by steam machinery. In 1874-6 the plan was
re-invented and developed by the Russian naval architect, Admiral Popoff,
in his "Popovkas" (see No. 112) ; the "Livadia" is another modification
of this design (see No. 394).

107. Photograph of Dutch turret ram " De Buffel." Presented
by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1869. N. 1311.

This armour-clad twin-screw rani was built of iron at Glasgow in 1868,
by Messrs. B. Napier and Sons. She is constructed with a double bottom,
and is plated with iron armour 6 in. thick, backed with 10 in. of teak and an
inner skin of 1-in plate ; this armour belt reaches from 2 ft. above the water
line to 3 ft. below. The main deck consists of 6-in. oak on a 1-in. plate,
while the wall round the base of the turret is composed of 8-in. plates
backed by 12-in. teak on a 1-in. inner skin. The armour and backing of the
turret are similar to that of the belt.

She is propelled by two sets of simple engines each with two cylinders
56 in. diam., by 24 in. stroke. The propellers are 7 ft. diam., 8 '5 pitch,
and with 2,000 indicated h.p. the speed is 11 -2 knots. Steam at 30 Ib.
pressure is supplied by four boilers, and the coal bunker capacity is
160 tons.

The armament is : One 11-in. 28-ton B.L.R., two 3-in. B.L.B., and six
machine guns.

Displacement, 2,260 tons; length, 206 ft.; breadth, 40'4 ft.; depth,
24 ft. ; draught, 16 2 ft.

108. Photograph of Dutch monitor " De Tyger." Presented
by Messrs. R. Napier and Sons, 1869. N. 1311.

This armour-clad twin-screw monitor was built of iron at Glasgow in
1868, by Messrs. B. Napier and Sons. She is constructed with a double
bottom, and is protected by an armoured belt 5 ft. deep ; the thickness
of the plates is 6 5 in. amidships, tapering to 5 in. at the bow and 4*5 in.
at the stern. The turret, which is 23 ft. diam., has plating 8 in. thick and
a 9 75 in. backing of teak. There are no bulwarks, but simply a falling
rail, and her freeboad of 3 ft. can be reduced to 2 ft. by filling the double
bottom.

She is propelled by two sets of engines, each with two cylinders 30 in.
diam. by 18 in. stroke. The propellers are 7 ft. diam. by 8 '5 ft. pitch;
and with 680 indicated h.p. give a speed of 8 2 knots.

The armament is : One 11-in. 28-ton B.L.B., one 3-in. B.L.B,., and four
machine guns.

Displacement, 1,450 tons ; length, 187 ft. ; breadth, 44 -5 ft. ; depth,
11 -5ft. ; draught, 9- 2 ft.

109. Rigged model of German warship, " Konig Wilhelm I."
(Scale 1 : 96.) Lent by Sir E. J. Reed, K.C.B., 1876.

N. 1408.

This iron-cased frigate, designed by Sir E. J. Beed, and built of iron
at Mill wall in 1869, was originally intended for the Ottoman Govern-
ment, but when about half finished was purchased by the Prussian
Government.

She is constructed on the longitudinal system, with a series of wrought
iron girders, spaced 7 ft. apart, running along her completely from stem to
stern. These are connected by wrought iron ribs spaced 4 ft. apart below
the water-line, but only 2 ft. apart above it. Within both frames and ribs
comes another iron skin 1 in. thick, so as literally to make a double ship,
the inner one being 4*5 ft. apart from the outer.

The armour is 8 in. thick, with a 10-in. teak backing amidships, tapering
towards the ends and below the water-line. Near the bow and stern are
armoured bulkheads, with 6 in. of armour and 18 in. of teak continued from



37

the lower deck up through the main deck, and to a height of 7 ft. above the
spar deck. On the spar deck these shields are curved and pierced with gun
ports and loopholed for musketry. Within these shields were four Krupp
B.L. 300-prs., which could be fired either fore and aft or as broadside guns.
Twenty-three similar guns completed the armament, which, however, has
since been altered.

The engines, by Messrs. Maudslay, Sons and Field, are simple with three
cylinders 95 in. diarn., by 54 in. stroke. The cut-off in the cylinders can be
varied from one-third to one- sixth of the stroke, and the valves are driven
by Sell's gear (see No'. 839).

Steam at 30 Ib. pressure is supplied by eight boilers, arranged four on
either side of the vessel, with the stokehold between them ; there are five
furnaces in each boiler, and a total of 890 sq. ft. of grate surface and
22,600 sq. ft. of heating surface. The coal bunker capacity is 700 tons.

The propeller is four-bladed, 23 ft. diarn., and 22 5 ft. pitch, which at
64 revs., with 8,350 indicated h.p., gave a speed of 14 -5 knots.

Displacement, 9,757 tons ; length, 355 ft. ; breadth, 60 ft. ; depth,
41-75 ft. ; draught, 25 -42 ft.

110. Rigged model of H.M.SS. " Arrow " and" Bonetta." (Scale
1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. J. and G. Rennie, 1893.

N. 1411.

These twin-screw gunboats, built of iron at Greenwich in 1871 by
Messrs. J. and G-. Rennie, were, with about 20 similar vessels, constructed
for river and coast service.

The engines are of 110 h.p., giving a speed of 8- 7 knots; the coal
bunkers hold 25 tons.

The armament is one 10-in. 18-ton M.L.R. gun, earned right forward in
the bow on a platform that can be lowered by gearing to obtain more
stability when at sea. The steering wheel is placed directly in rear of the

fun, as training is chiefly done by the rudder. The ship's complement is
1 officers and men.

Displacement, 254 tons; length, 85 ft.; breadth, 26 -16 ft.; draught,
6-25 ft.

111. Rigged model of H.M.S. "Neptune." (Scale 1:48.)
Contributed by Messrs. Samuda Bros., 1882. N. 1576.

This double -turret, barque-rigged armour-clad, constructed at Poplar
in 1874, was designed by Sir E. J. Reed for the Brazilian Government,
and named the "Independencia," but before completion she was purchased by
the British Government, and re-named the " Neptune." Her bottom was
sheathed with wood and coppered.

She was driven by trunk engines with two cylinders 118 in. diain., by
54 in. stroke, which, with a boiler pressure of 27 Ib., indicated 8,000 h.p. at
64 - 2 revs, per niin., and gave a speed of 14*2 knots. There were eight
boilers, contained in two watertight compartments.

The propeller was 26 ft. diam. and 23 ft. pitch. The armament was
four 12 5-in. 38-ton M.L.B., two 9-in. 12-ton M.L.R., six 6-pr. Q.F., eight
3-pr. Q.F., ten machine guns, and two torpedo tubes. The armour was
12 75 in. thick on the broadside, 11 in. and 13 in. on the turrets, and there
was a 3-in. iron protective deck.

Displacement. 9,130 tons ; length, 300 ft. ; breadth, 63 ft. ; depth,
25 -4 ft.

112. Half model of the " Admiral Popoff." (Scale 1 : 48.)
Lent by the Russian Embassy, 1876. N. 1424.

This circular, armour-plated, floating battery was built at Nicolaieff in
1875, from, the design of the Russian naval architect, Admiral Popoff. She
is constructed of iron, and has a double bottom, sheathed with wood and
coppered ; the bottom is flat, and is fitted with 12 external box girders, or



38

keels, each about 12 in. square, fixed parallel to the intended axis of the
vessel. The bottom is formed with 8 radial watertight frames, intersected
by two rings of web frames, which thus divide it into 24 compartments.
There is a single rudder, which is, however, of exceptional length.

The central part of the upper deck is occupied by a circular breast -work,
about 7 ft. high, carrying two heavy guns, mounted en barbette on fixed
slides, the guns being trained by turning the ship. Around this citadel are
deck-houses for the accommodation of the men. The armour of the vessel
and its citadel is in two layers, having a total thickness of 18 in. ; the side
armour extends from the upper deck, which is 1 * 5 ft. above load water-line,
to 4 5 ft. below the water-line, and the upper deck is protected by horizontal
armour 3 in. thick.

The vessel is propelled by eight two-stage expansion vertical engines ;
four of these each work an independent screw 10 '5 ft. diam., whilst the
other four, arranged and worked in pairs, drive the two remaining screws,
which are three-bladed and of much larger diameter, their blades reaching
below the keel level. When in shallow water these larger screws are fixed
with the upper blades vertical, in which position the screws are above the
bottom of the vessel.

The power exerted is 3,066 indicated h.p., and the speed attained
8 knots. The bunker capacity is 250 tons.

Armament : Two 12-in. 40-ton guns, two Q.F. guns on each side of the
superstructure, and six smaller guns.

Displacement, 3,553 tons ; extreme diameter, 121 ft. ; height of barbette
above load water-line, 13 25 ft. ; draught of water, 13 ft.

113. Rigged model of Mexican gunboats "Mexico" and
" Democrata." (Scale 1 : 48.) Presented by Messrs. J. and
G. Rennie, 1879. Plate III.', No. 3. N. 1513.

These three-masted, schooner-rigged, sister gunboats were built of iron
in 1875 by Messrs. J. and G. Rennie for the Mexican Government.

Their armament is two 6'5 in. 4-ton M.L.R., and two 20-prs. ; the speed
11 knots.

Displacement, 450 tons; length, 140 ft. ; breadth, 25 ft. ; draught, 11 ft,

114. Rigged model of Portuguese ironclad "Vasco da Gama."
(Scale 1 : 96.) Received 1907. Plate III, No. 4. N. 2431.

This twin-screw, iron-built and armoured battleship was constructed for
the Portuguese Government by the Thames Iron Works and Shipbuilding
Co. at JBlackwall in 1875-6, from the designs of Mr. G. C. Mackrow. She
was lengthened, re-armed and re-boilered by Messrs. Orlando at Leghorn
in 1902-3.

The model represents an unusually small example of a sea- going
armour-clad ; she was designed for the defence of Lisbon and the Tagus,
and still (1910) ranks as the only " battleship " in the Portuguese Navy.

Cellular construction was adopted throughout and external protection
was given by a complete belt of 9-10-in. side armour, which was carried
well below the water-line in the neighbourhood of the ram bow.

Her main armament consisted originally of two 10 25-in. rifled Krupp
guns in an octagonal battery amidships, and one 5 9 in. gun astern. These
have now been replaced by two 8-in. Q.F. guns, carried in barbettes
forward, and one 6-in. Q.F. gun astern.

She was propelled by two sets of two-stage expansion engines made by
Messrs. Humphrys, Tennant & Co., which developed on trial a total of
3,625 indicated h.p. and gave an average speed of 13*25 knots. By the
use of Yarrow water-tube boilers and a general improvement in the vessel's
form, the speed has now been increased to about 15 5 knots.

The original dimensions were : Displacement, 2,479 tons ; length (b.p.),
200 ft. ; breadth, 40 ft. ; draught (maximum), 19 ft. These particulars
as reconstructed are : Displacement, 2,972 tons ; length. 233 ft. ; breadth,
40 ft. ; draught (maximum), 20 ft.



39

115. Whole model of H.M.Ss. "Orion" and " Belleisle."
(Scale 1 : 48.) Contributed by Messrs. Samuda Bros.,
1882, N. 1577.

These two central-battery, armour-clad, iron ships were built at Poplar
in 1876 for the Ottoman Government, but were purchased before completion
for the British Navy. The armour belt is 12 in. and 7 in. thick, and the
plates 10 in. thick on the central battery, while there is a 3-in. iron
protective deck. *

The engines indicated 2,600 h.p., driving twin screws at a speed of
11 -9 knots.

The armament is four 12-in. 25-ton M.L.R. and six 6-pr. Q.F., with
machine guns and torpedo tubes. The complement of officers and men
is 284.

Displacement, 4,870 tons; length, 245 ft.; breadth, 52 ft.; draught,
21ft.

116. Whole model of first class torpedo boat " Lightning."
(Scale 1 : 24.) .Lent by Messrs. John I. Thornycroft & Co.,
Ltd, 1909. N. 2517.

One of the earliest of specially designed torpedo craft was a steel-built
launch constructed by Messrs. Thornycroft & Co., in 1873, for the Norwegian
Navy; similar boats for most of the other European Navies quickly
followed, but this model represents the first actual torpedo boat in the
British Navy. It was built at Chiswick in 1876, for independent harbour or
coastal service, and was known as H.M.S. " Lightning." Twelve vessels of
this class were eventually added to the British Navy.

A " plough bow " or extended cutwater (see No. 90) was a noticeable
feature of these boats as well as of the smaller class of early British torpedo
craft ; but it was discarded in subsequent designs in favour of a nearly upright
stem. The hull was of galvanised steel and well sub-divided by transverse
watertight bulkheads ; side coal bunkers gave protection to the machinery
spaces. The shell plating was 125 in. thick amidships, and slightly less at
the f orward and after ends. A cement covering was given to the upper
deck. There was a conning tower, inside which were the engine-room
telegraphs and voice tubes, and the firing gear for torpedoes ; steering
could also be effected from this position or from the deck. Two 14-in.
Whitehead torpedoes are shown amidships upon transporting carriages and
rails ; they were discharged, by means of compressed air, from a pivoted
tube mounted in the bows.

Locomotive boilers were used, and the propelling engines were of the
two-stage expansion type fitted with surface condensers. With 350 i.h.p. a
speed of 19*4 knots was made in light condition, while a speed of 18 knots
was guaranteed under service conditions.

To improve the manoeuvring qualities of this vessel she was, before
commissioning, fitted with a new form of rudder and guide-blade propeller



Online LibraryScience Museum (Great Britain)Catalogue of the naval and marine engineering collection in the ... museum .. → online text (page 5 of 58)