South Wales. Loyal Cambrian Lodge Freemasons. Merthyr Tydfil.

Illustrated history of the Loyal Cambrian Lodge, no. 110, of freemasons, Merthyr Tydfil. 1810 to 1914. With introductory chapters on operative and speculative masonry, the modern and ancient grand lodges, and the lodges of South Wales and Monmouthshire online

. (page 4 of 34)
Online LibrarySouth Wales. Loyal Cambrian Lodge Freemasons. Merthyr TydfilIllustrated history of the Loyal Cambrian Lodge, no. 110, of freemasons, Merthyr Tydfil. 1810 to 1914. With introductory chapters on operative and speculative masonry, the modern and ancient grand lodges, and the lodges of South Wales and Monmouthshire → online text (page 4 of 34)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lyodge from the year 1777 was acknowledged, and the Brethren were
permitted to retain the same order and rank on the Records of Grand
Ivodge as they previously held under the old warrant. When the
Beaufort Lodge lapsed in 1809, the Brethren of that I/odge joined the
Indefatigable, and the name was altered to the Indefatigable and
Beaufort Lodge, but by an oversight the new title was not registered in
Grand Lodge, with the result that the name Beaufort was eventually
dropped. The warrant of the Beaufort Lodge, granted by Henry
Somerset, Duke of Beaufort, Grand Master of the Moderns, on April
24tb, 1769, is in the possession of the Indefatigable Lodge, and occupies
an honoured position in the north-east corner of the Lodge Room. The
number of the Lodge was altered at the closing up of numbers in 1780
to No. 411 ; in 1781 to No. 412, and in 1792 to No. 333. At the Union,
under the United Grand Lodge the number allotted was 427 ; in 1832,
No. 288, and at the last closing up in 1863, No. 237, the number borne at
the present time. A Centenary Warrant was granted on January 25th,
1878, and the event was duly celebrated in that year. The Indefatigable
Lodge has thus, without question, the longest continuous record of any
Lodge in the Province, without even taking into account its existence at
Neath prior to 1800.

By the system prevaihng in the Antient or Athole Grand Lodge,
of re-issuing vacant numbers of warrants, the Glamorgan Lodge,
constituted in 1808, and Loyal Cambrian Lodge in 1810, occupied, on
account of their re-issued numbers, high positions on the Roll of their
Grand Lodge at the time of the Union. The Indefatigable Lodge was
warranted by the Modern Grand Lodge (who, in only a few instances,
re-issued vacant warrants) and stood on the Grand Lodge Register as
No. 333, a much lower number than that of the two Athole Lodges.
In conformity with the Articles of Union, the Lodges were, in 1813,



32 ANCIENT MASONRY IN SOUTH WALES.

arranged according to their position on the Registers of their respective
Grand Lodge, and not according to the date of their constitution.
Article of Union No. VIII. states ;— " The representatives of the several
lyodges shall sit under their respective Banners, according to seniority.
The first two Ivodges under each Grand Lodge to draw a lot in the first
place for priority, and to which of the two the lot No. 1 shall fall, the
other to rank as No. 2, and all the other Ivodges shall fall in alternately ;
that is, the Lodge which is No. 2 of the Fraternity whose lot it shall be
to draw No. 1 shall rank as No. 3 in the United Grand Lodge, and the
other No. 2 shall rank as No. 4, and so on alternately through all the
numbers respectively. This shall for ever after be the order and rank
of the I/odges in Grand Lodge and in Grand Processions for which a
plan and drawing shall be prepared previous to the Union. On the
renewal of any of the Lodges now dormant, they shall rank after all
Lodges existing at the Union, notwithstanding the numbers in which
they may now stand on the respective Rolls."

By this arrangement the Glamorgan Lodge, No. 33, became No. 50,
the Loyal Cambrian Lodge, No. 144, as No. 175, and the Indefatigable,
No. 333, as No. 427. The Glamorgan Lodge; in consequence of the
method adopted in allotting the numbers, retained the senior position
in the Province, the Loyal Cambrian coming second. The Indefatigable
Lodge has the distinction of being not only the oldest Lodge in the
Province, but of being one of the seventeen Lodges still existing which
contributed towards paying off the debt on Freemasons' Hall in 1779,
and the Worshipful Master is on that account entitled to wear the
Freemasons' Hall Jewel, a Jewel which is worn suspended between the
arms of the Master's Square. It was bestowed on Brethren and Lodges
who contributed £25, free of interest for a stated period, towards paying
a debt of £3,150. Eighty-two Brethren and twenty-six Lodges con-
tributed £2,700. The Lodge is first mentioned in the minutes of the
Loyal Cambrian Lodge for June 1st, 1813, when it is recorded that
that Bro. David Gwynne, W.M. of the Indefatigable Lodge, was present.



.^.



tteife



CHAPTER V.



LODGES IN SOUTH WALES AND MONMOUTH
FROM 1724 TO 1908.




JT the last chapter, references were made mainly to the
Ancient Lodges of South Wales and Monmouth. A
number of Lodges were also constituted in those Provinces
by the Modem Grand Lodge, and in order to complete the
series, and render the whole of greater interest, all the
Lodges which were formed of which there are any records
are chronologically arranged in the present chapter.

1 . The first Lodge formed was Lodge No. 34, Carmarthen, warranted
by the Modem Grand Lodge, and constituted in 1724 at the Bay's Head
and Star. Removed to the Bunch of Grapes in 1733. Re-numbered in
1740 to No. 30. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on November 29th,
1754.

2. Lodge No. 189, Haverfordwest. Warranted by the Modem
Grand Lodge and constituted on April 14th, 1741, at the Ship and Castle.
Removed to the Three Cranes in 1766. Named the Tyrian Lodge in
1770. Re-numbered in 1755 to No. 121, and in 1770 to No. 95. Erased
from the Roll of Lodges on April 23rd, 1773.

3. Lodge No. 240, Carmarthen. Warranted by Modern Grand
Lodge and constituted on October 17th, 1753, at the Three Crowns,
Nott's Square. Removed to the Red Lion, Market Street, in 1758, to
the Shakespeare Inn in 1766, and back to the Red Lion in 1772. Named
the Lodge of Perfect Friendship in 1767, and re-named Temple Lodge
in 1772. Re-numbered in 1755 to No. 167, and in 1770 to No. 132.
Erased from the Roll of Lodges on February 5th, 1777.

c



54 LODGES IN SOUTH WALES

4. CoMNTHiAN IvODGE, No. 266, Cardiff. — Warranted by the
Modem Lodge, and constituted in August, 1754, at the Red House.
Removed to the Bear Inn in 1766. Re-numbered in 1755 to No. 188,
and in 1770 to No. 148. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on April 28th,
1775.

5. Lodge No. 276, Cowbridge. Warranted by the Modern
Grand Lodge, and constituted in September, 1754, at the Bear, High
Street. Re-numbered in 1755 to No. 189, and in 1770 to No. 149. Erased
from the Roll of Lodges on April 28th, 1775.

6. Lodge No. 126, Newport, Mon. Warranted by the Ancient
Grand Lodge on June 12th, 1764. Met at the Green Dragon, Skinner
Street. Appears to have lapsed shortly after being constituted [See
page 16).

7. Lodge No. 54, Brecon. Warranted by the Ancient Grand
Lodge, and constituted on December 27th, 1764, at the 5mm 7wm, Wheat
Street. Lapsed shortly afterwards. The warrant of this Lodge was
first issued to a Lodge named St. David's, and meeting at the Bear's
Paw, London, but that Lodge purchased on December 1st, 1756, the
vacant number of Lodge Nq. 12 for 21/-, and No. 54 being thus vacant,
was re-issued to the Brecon Lodge (See page 17).

8. Lodge No. 337, Brecon. Warranted by the Modem Grand
Lodge in 1765. Met at the Bell Inn. Erased from the Roll of
Lodges in 1769.

9. Lodge No. 33, Bridgend, Glamorgan. Warranted by the
Ancient Grand Lodge on June 13th, 1765. Met at the Bear Inn,
Dimraven Place. It appears to have lapsed soon after 1774. The
number of the warrant of this Lodge was first issued to a Lodge con-
stituted at the Star and Garter, Strand, London, on March 13th, 1754,
but which appears to have lapsed in the following year. The number
was afterwards re-issued to the Bridgend Brethren, and on the formation
of the. Glamorgan Lodge in 1808 the warrant was again re-issued [See
page 17).

10. Beaufort Lodge, No. 443, Swansea. Warranted by the
Modem Grand Lodge on April 24th, 1769. Met at the Star Tavern,
Cross Street. Removed to the Mackworth Arms, Wind Street, in 1797,
and to the Lamb Inn, High Street, in 1801. Re-numbered in 1770 to
No. 378, in 1780 to No. 291, in 1781 to No. 292, and in 1792 to No.
244. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on February 10th, 1809.



AND MONMOUTHSHIRE.



35



11. Knoi,!, IvODGE, No. 506, Ne.-vth. Warranted by the Modern
Grand I,odge on September 20th, 1777. Met at the Angel Inn,
Angel Street. Removed to the Ship and Castle, The Parade, in 1784,
when the name of the Ivodge is spelt for the first time " GnoU." Became
dormant in 1790. Re-numbered in 1780 to No. 411, in 1781 to No. 412,
and in 1792 to No. 333. Revived in September, 1800, under the title
of the Indefatigable Lodge, at the Plume of Feathers, Wind Street, Swan-
sea. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 427, in 1832 to No. 288, and in 1863
to No. 237. Until the erection of the Masonic Hall in Caer Street,
the I<odge met at the following places :—

Fountain Inn, Strand ... ... ... 1805

Tiger Inn, Strand ... ... ... 1805

Mackworth Arms, Wind Street ... ... 1810

Cambrian Hotel, Burrows ... ... ... 1813

Mackworth Arms, Wind Street ... ... 1816

Fountain Inn, Strand ... ... ... 1817

Bush Inn, High Street ... ... ... 1817

Assembly Rooms, Cambrian Place ... ... 1836

Cameron Arms, High Street ... ... 1840

Bush Inn, High Street ... ... ... 1841

Cameron Arms, High Street ... ... 1846

Cambrian Coffee Tavern, Fisher Street ... 1848

Mr. Young's, Cambrian Place ... ... 1849

Assembly Rooms, Cambrian Place ... ... 1850

Mackworth Arms, Wind Street ... ... 1871

Masonic Hall, Caer Street ... ... ... 1871

Warrant of confirmation granted on May 8th, 1805, and a Centenary
Warrant on January 25th, 1878 {See page 30).

12. Mackworth Lodge, No. 496, Cowbridge, Gi,amorg.4n.
Warranted by the Modern Grand Lodge on March 20th, 1787. Erased
from the Roll of Lodges on April 18th, 1792.

13. Cambrian Lodge, No. 542, Brecon. Warranted by the
Modem Grand Lodge on August 1st, 1789. Met at the Swan Inn,
Ship Street. Re-numbered in 1792 to No. 451, and in 1814 to No.
510. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on March 5th, 1828.

14. Ancient Britons Lodge, No. 126, Caerphii,i,y, Glamorgan.
Warranted by the Ancient Grand Lodge, and constituted on December
16th, 1807. Met at Brother Thompson's in 1808, and at the Boar's



36 LODGES IN SOUTH WALES

Head in 1809. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 150. Erased from the Roll
of Ivodges on March 5th, 1828. The warrant of this I^odge was first
issued to the Newport Lodge in 1754, but that Lodge having become
extinct, the vacant number was re-issued ito the Caerphilly Brethren
[See page 19).

15. Gi,AMORGAN Lodge, No. 33, Cardiff. Warranted by the
Ancient Grand Lodge on August 20th, 1808. Constituted at the Cardiff
Arms Hotel, Bute Street, on November 4th of the same year. Named
the Glamorgan in 1811. Removed to the Freemasons' Hall, Church
Street, in 1855, to Freemasons' Hall, St. Mary Street, in 1859, to the
Freemasons' Hall, Working Street, in 1877, and to the present Masonic
Temple in September, 1895. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 50, in 1832
to No. 43, and in 1863 to No. 33. The warrant of this Lodge was issued
for the revival of the Bridgend Lodge in 1777, but it does not appear to
have been taken up until the formation of the Glamorgan Lodge in
1808 {See page 25).

16. RoYAi, Cambrian Lodge, No. 135, Newport, Mon. Warranted
by the Ancient Grand Lodge on August 11th, 1809, and constituted
on the following November 20th at the Parrot Inn, High Street. Erased
from the Roll of Lodges on December 1st, 1828. Warrant No. 135 was
first issued to a Lodge constituted at the Navy Club House, The Garrison,
Sheerness, on January 13th, 1765, but lapsed shortly afterwards, and
the vacant number was in consequence issued to the Newport Brethren
{See page 26).

17. LoYAi, Cambrian Lodge, No. 144, Merthyr Tydfii,. War-
ranted by the Ancient Grand Lodge on June 20th, and constituted at
the C.istle Inn on August 7th, 1810. Removed to the Bush Inn in
December, 1827, to the Masonic Hall, Lower High-street in September,
1881, and to the new Masonic Temple, Pontmorlais Circus, in January,
1912. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 175, in 1832 to No. 127, and in
1863 to No. 1 10. Warrant No. 144 was first issued to a Lodge constituted
in London in 1766. This Lodge removed in 1771 to the King's Head,
Howitt's Court, Strand, and again to the George, Great St. Andrew Street,
Seven Dials. It removed again in 1774, but although the removal was
confirmed, the place of meeting is not recorded. The warrant was
cancelled on June 7th, 1775, and re-issued in 1810 to the Merthyr
Brethren {See Chapter VI.).



AND MONMOUTHSHIRE. 37

18. St. David's Lodge of Perfect Friendship, No. 623, Car-
marthen. Warranted by the Modern Grand Lodge on March 1st, 1811.
Met at the King's Arms, Priory Street. Removed in 1812 to the
Ivy Bush Inn, King Street, and to the Union Hall, Quay Street, in
1814. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 631. Erased from the Roll of
Lodges in 1822.

19. Union Lodge, No. 158, Carmarthen. Warranted by the
Ancient Grand Lodge on July 9th, 1811, and constituted on the 15th of
the same month at the Old Ivy Bush Inn, King Street. Removed in 1812
to the White Lion, Green Street, to the Union Hall, Quay Street, in 1813.
Returned to the White Lion in 1814, and to the White Lion and Royal
Hotel in 1822. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 192. Erased from the
Roll of Lodges on June 3rd, 1829. Warrant No. 158 was first issued
to a Lodge constituted at the Castle, London-road, Isleworth, Middlesex,
on January 31st, 1769. Removed to the Feathers, Richmond, London,
in 1771. Became dormant after 1775. The vacant number was re-
issued in 1811 to the Carmarthen Brethren [See page 26).

20. Hwlffordd Lodge, No. 59, Haverfordwest. Warranted by
the Ancient Grand Lodge on January 23rd, 1812. The meetings were
held in a private room up to 1818, and afterwards at the Blue Boar Inn,
New Street, and New Inn, Upper Market Street. Re-numbered in 1814
to No. 81. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on March 5th, 1828.
Warrant No. 59 was first issued to a Lodge constituted at the White
Hart, Porter Street, Newport, London Market, on December 23rd, 1756,
but which lapsed in 1770. It was re-issued to the Haverfordwest
Brethren in 1812 (See page 27).

21. Hiram Lodge, No. 160, Pontypool. Warranted by the
Ancient Grand Lodge on June 13th, 1812. Met at the Red Lion Inn,
Commercial Street. Re-numbered in 1814 to No. 195. Erased from
the Roll of Lodges in 1830. Warrant No. 160 was first issued to a
Lodge constituted at the Queen of Hungary's Head, St. Benedict Street,
Norfolk, on March 22nd, 1769, and meeting afterwards at the Golden
Anchor and White Horse, Market Place, from 1787 to 1789. On September
22nd, 1791, the warrant was cancelled for irregularities, but on March
7th, 1792, the Lodge was restored to all its former privileges. In the
latter year the Brethren joined the Modern Grand Lodge, and the warrant
was cancelled on June 5th, 1793. The number of the warrant was
re-issued on June 5th, 1802, to a Lodge constituted at the Angel Inn,



38 LODGES m SOUTH WALES

Narrow Bridge Street, Peterborough, which lapsed shortly afterwards,
and the vacant number was for the third time re-issued to the Pontypool
Brethren {See page 27).

22. RoYAi, Augustus Lodge, No. 656, Monmouth. Warranted
by the United Grand Lodge on January 2nd, and constituted at the
Crown and Thistle Inn, on April 22nd, 1815. Removed to the King's
Head, Agincourt Square, in 1816. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on
December 1st, 1830.

23. Philanthropic Lodge, No. 658, Abergavenny. Warranted
by the United Grand Lodge on December 27th, 1814, and constituted
on June 12th, 1815, at the King's Head, Cross Street. Removed in 1818
to the Angel Inn. Erased from the Roll of Lodges on March 5th, 1828.
(See page 28).

24. Wei,lington Lodge, No. 707, Chepstow. Warranted by
United Grand Lodge on October 30th, 1818, and meeting at the Beaufort
Arms, Beaufort Square. Removed in 1820 to the Bell Inn. Re-
numbered in 1832 to No. 457. Erased from the Roll of Lodges in 1837.

LODGES IN THE EASTERN DIVISION OF SOUTH WALES IN

1913.

1. Glamorgan Lodge, No. 36 ; Masonic Temple, Cardiff ; con-
stituted November 4th, 1808 ; 161 subscribing members.

2. Loyal Cambrian Lodge, No. 110; Masonic Temple, Merthyr
Tydfil ; constituted August 7th, 1810 ; 135 subscribing members.

3. Indefatigable Lodge, No. 237, Masonic Temple, Swansea;
constituted September 20th, 1777 ; 200 subscribing members.

4. Cambrian Lodge, No. 364, Neath. Constituted on January
31st, 1821, at the White Hart, Duke Street ; removed to the Eagle Inn,
Wind Street, in 1826, and to the Castle Inn, The Parade, in 1832. It was
dormant from 1833 to 1843, but in 1844 it was revived at the Castle
Hotel, and in 1848 the Brethren removed to the Masonic Hall, Queen
Street ; the Lodge was re-numbered in 1832 from No. 726 to No. 472,
and in 1863 to No. 364 ; 67 subscribing members.

5. Brecknock Lodge, No. 651, Brecon. Warranted on May 14th,
and constituted at the Castle Hotel on July 28th, 1855 ; removed to the
Swan Hotel, Ship Street, in 1856, to the Town Hall in 1862, and to the
Masonic Hall, Cistle Hotel, in 1870. Meet now at Masonic Hall, Ruperra
House. Re-numbered in 1863 from No. 936 to No. 651 ; 51 subscrib-
ing members.



AND MONMOUTHSHIRE. 39

6. St. David I/)dge, No. 679, Aberdare. Warranted on May
16th and constituted at the Qusen's Hotel on June 18th, 1856; removed
to the Black Lion Hotel, Commercial Place, in 1870, and to the Masonic
Hall, Canon Street, in 1880. Re-numbered in 1863 from No. 799
to No. 679 (see St. David Lodge, No. 679) ; 80 subscribing members.

7. Afan I/)dge, No. 833, Aberavon. Warranted on September
29th, and constituted on November 8th, 1840, at the Walnut Tree
Hotel, High Street ; removed to the National Schoolroom, Church Street,
in 1862, and to the Masons' Hall, Water Street, in 1874. Re-numbered
in 1863 from No. 1135 to No. 833 ; 123 subscribing members.

8. Bute I<odge, No. 960, Cardiff. Warranted on April 13th, and
constituted on June 30th, 1863, at the Masonic Hall, Bute Dock ;
removed to the Masonic Hall, Working Street, in 1876, and to the present
Masonic Temple in September, 1895. Re-numbered in 1863 from
No. 1262 to No. 960 ; 253 subscribing members.

9. Talbot IvOdge, No. 1323, Swansea. Warranted on June 20th
and constituted on December 8th, 1870, at the Masonic Rooms,
Mackworth Hotel, Wind Street ; meets now in the Masonic Temple, Caer
Street ; 73 subscribing members.

10. Caradoc Lodge, No. 1573, Swansea. Warranted on October
8th, 1875, and constituted on February 7th, 1876, at the Masonic Hall,
Caer Street ; 166 subscribing members.

11. Merlin Lodge, No. 1578, Pontypridd. Warranted on October
23rd, 1875, and constituted on April 27th, 1876, at the New Inn Hotel,
Taff Street; removed to the Masonic Hall, Court Street, in 1887; 113
subscribing members.

12. Ogmore Lodge, No. 1752, Bridgend. Warranted on April
24th, and constituted on July 2nd, 1878, at the Wyndham Arms Hotel,
Dunraven Place ; removed to the Masonic Hall, Adare Street, in 1892 ;
95 subscribing members.

13. Windsor Lodge, No. 1754, Penarth. Warranted on April
24th, and constituted on July 15th, 1878, at the Penarth Hotel ; removed
to the Masonic Hall, Windsor Road, in 1879 ; to the Masonic Hall,
Landsdowne, Plymouth Road, in 1889, and to the Windsor "Masonic
Hall in 1894 ; 165 subscribing members.

14. Loyal Wye Lodge, No. 1807, Builth. Warranted on February
4th, and constituted on April 29th, 1879, at ths.pion Hotel, Broad Street ;
removed to the Freemasons' Hall, Market Street, in 1883 ; 35 subscribing
piembers.



46 LobGEs IN souTrt Wales

15. St. Quintin's Lodge, No. 1822, Cowbkidge. Warranted on
April 28th, and constituted on August 21st, 1879, at the Bear Hotel;
The last return to Grand Lodge was made in 1891 ; since that year
the I^odge has been dormant.

16. Tennant Lodge, No. 1992, Cardiff. Warranted on February
20th, and constituted on October 10th, 1883, at the Masonic Hall,
Working Street ; removed to the Masonic Temple in September, 1895 ;
242 subscribing members.

17. Barry Lodge, No. 2357, Barry. Warranted on April 15th,
and constituted on September 11th, 1890, at the Royal Hotel, Barry
Road ; removed to the New Masonic Temple in 1906 ; 218 subscribing
members.

18. Loyal Hay Lodge, No. 2382, Hay, Brecknockshire.
Warranted in September, and constituted on November 25th, 1890, at
the Masonic Hall, Hightown ; 49 subscribing members.

19. Duke of York Lodge, No. 2453, Cardiff. Warranted on
November 21st, 1892, and constituted at the Masonic Hall, Working
Street ; removed in 1895 to the Masonic Temple ; 88 subscribing
members.

20. LLANGArroCK Lodge, No. 2547, Cardiff. Warranted on
January 18th, and constituted on March 27th, 1895, at the Masonic
Temple ; 178 subscribing members.

21. Prince Llewellyn Lodge, No. 2570, Cardiff. Warranted
on June 25th, and constituted on January 18th, 1896, at the Masonic
Temple ; 86 subscribing members.

22. Fforest Lodge, No. 2606, Treharris. Warranted on March
27th, and constituted October 28th, 1896, at the Public Hall ; afterwards
met at the Masonic Rooms, Perrot Street ; removed to the New Temple,
May 11th, 1911 ; 80 subscribing members.

23. Loyal Commercial Lodge, No. 2720, Cardiff. Warranted on
June 4th, and constituted on September 23rd, 1898, at the Masonic
Temple; 112 subscribing members.

24. Llynfi Lodge, No. 2965, Maesteg. Warranted on April
17th, and constituted July 28th, 1903, at the Star Inn; 58 subscribing
members.

25. Dr. James Griffith Lodge, No. 3161, Swansea. Warranted
on April 3rd, and constituted July 19th, 1906, at the Masonic Temple ;
75 subscribing members.



And MoNMouTttshiRE. 41

26. Hendre Lodge, No. 3250, Cardiff. Warranted July 30th,
1907, and constituted at the Masonic Temple January 24th, 1908
(Past Masters' Lodge) ; 146 subscribing members.

27. ITHON Lodge, No. 3320, Li<andrindod Wells. Warranted
on July 4th, and constituted on September 25th, 1908, at the old
Gwalia Hotel ; 46 subscribing members.

MASONIC LODGES IN THE WESTERN DIVISION OF SOUTH
WALES IN 1913.

1. St. David's Lodge, No. 366, Milford, Pembrokeshire.
Warranted on January 31st, and constituted on November 16th, 1821,
at the Mil ford and Water ford Coffee House, Hakiil ; removed to the
Lord Nelson Hotel, Hamilton Terrace, in 1824, and to the Masonic
Hall in 1883 ; re-numbered in 1832 from No. 728 to No. 746, and in 1863
to No. 366 ; 94 subscribing members.

2. Loyal Welsh Lodge, No. 378, Pembroke Dock. Warranted
on October 1st, 1824, and constituted at a private room, Melville Town ;
removed in 1829 to the Navy Tavern, in 1833 to the Clarence Inn, in
1835 to the Victoria Hotel, in 1857 to the New Lodge Room at the
Victoria Hotel, and in 1869 to the Masonic Hall, Meyrick Street ; 134
subscribing members.

3. Cambrian Lodge, No. 464, Haverfordwest. Warranted on
September 23rd, 1839, and constituted on January 27th, 1840, at the
Mariners' Inn, Mariners' Square ; removed in 1854 to the Castle Hotel,
Castle Square, in 1856 to the Mariners' Hotel, Mariners' Square, and to
the Masonic Hall, Picton Street, in 1872 ; re-numbered in 1863 from No.
683 to No. 464 ; 77 subscribing members.

4. St. Peter's Lodge, No. 476, Carmarthen. Warranted on
April 26th, and constituted on September 14th, 1841, at the Ivy Bush
Hotel, Spilman Street ; removed in 1874 to Napier House, returned to
the Ivy Bush Hotel in 1885, and back again to Napier House in 1889 ;
in the latter year the Brethren removed finally to the Masonic Hall,
Spilman Street ; the Lodge was re-numbered in 1863 from No. 699 to
No. 476 ; 65 subscribing members.

5. Prince of Wales Lodge, No. 671, Llanelly. Warranted on
April 11th, 1856, and constituted on the 30th of the same month, at
the Thomas Arms Hotel, Thomas Street ; removed to the Masonic HaU,
Old Road, in 1874 ; re-numbered in 1863 from No. 969 to No. 671 ; 173
subscribing members.



42 LODGES IN SOUTH WALES

6. Neyj:<a.nd I,odge, No. 990, New Mii^ford. Warranted on
November 5th, 1883, and constituted on November 8th, 1864, at the
South Wales Hotel; removed to the Masonic Hall, Neyland, in 1892;
113 subscribing members.

7. Aberystwyth IvOdge, No. 1072, Aberystwyth. Warranted on
September 19th, and constituted on November 23rd, 1865, at the Belle
Vue Royal Hotel, Marine Terrace ; removed in 1884, to the Lion Royal
Hotel, and in 1891 to the Masonic Hall, Market Street ; 92 subscribing
members.

8. Tenby Lodge, No. 1177, Tenby. Warranted on June 5th,
and constituted on July 27th, 1867, at the Gate House Hotel, High Street,
removed in 1880 to the Masonic Hall, South Parade ; 41 subscribing
members.

9. Castle Martin Lodge, No, 806, Pembroke. Warranted on
January 3rd, 1848, and constituted at the Lion Hotel, Main Street ;
erased from the Roll of lyodges on September 7th, 1859.

Castle Martin Lodge, No. 1748. Warranted on April 3rd ,and
constituted on November 21st, 1878, at the Assembly Rooms, Pem-



Online LibrarySouth Wales. Loyal Cambrian Lodge Freemasons. Merthyr TydfilIllustrated history of the Loyal Cambrian Lodge, no. 110, of freemasons, Merthyr Tydfil. 1810 to 1914. With introductory chapters on operative and speculative masonry, the modern and ancient grand lodges, and the lodges of South Wales and Monmouthshire → online text (page 4 of 34)