published for nearly ten years. In 1888, the "Arcanum En-
terprise" was launched and has been issued for over a quar-
ter of a century. It is a staunch Democratic sheet and is
owned and edited by C. R. Musson, an experienced newspa-
per man. It contains eight pages 13x20 inches in size and is
issued every Thursday for $1.00 per year.
The .\rcanum Times is an independent eight page paper
of standard size, and appears regularly on Thursdaj^ It was
established in 1899 and is owned and edited by Smith and
Like Arcanum, Ansonia has had a newspaper since 1880.
About that time John S. Royer, a prominent educator and
writer, founded the Ansonia Mirror. The ownership of this
paper passed to Frank H. Jobes, who continued to publish
it from September 1, 1884 to the end of 1890. It was a well
edited and newsy sheet with high ethical ideals and was very
acceptable to the people of Brown township and vicinity.
This paper was discontinued, however, in 1891, when Mr.
Jobes moved the plant to Greenville, where he established
The Transcript, following which the "Ansonia Herald" ap-
peared. This paper was published for a while by S. H. Light
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
and Son, who sold it to Collett and Allbaugh. It then ap-
peared for two or three years as "The Climax," but was fin-
ally discontinued. In 1899 the Herald was re-established by
the Lights, who continued to publish it for some ten years
when it passed to the ownership of the Herald Printing
404 DARKE COUNTt
Company, under the editorship of Hiltor R. Millett, whose
biography appears in Vol. II. This sheet contains eight
pages, size 16x22 and is published every Thursday as an
independent newspaper at $1.00 per year, giving Ansonia the
benefit of a progressive local press at a cheap price.
The eastern section of the county is ably served with news
twice a week, on Wednesday and Saturday, by the Bradford
Morning Sentinel, an independent Republican paper of eight
pages published by A. F. Little. This sheet was also found-
ed in 1880 and has proved to be a force in Bradford and vi-
cinity. It contains a large amount of local items and adver-
tisements and is well edited.
The New Madison Herald is an eight page independent
paper published every Friday by O. G. Murray. It was es-
tablished in 1894 by Smith and Davis, and was purchased in
July 1895 by C. E. Wenger, who published it for some time.
An examination of its columns reveals the fact that local
enterprise and public spirit are valuable assets in a com-
munity, doing much to build up its best interests. Several
newspaper men were of prominence, notably John Hatha-
way, for many years foreman of the composing room of the
The Hollandsburg News was established in 1907. and is
now entering on the eighth year of its history. It is a stand-
ard size eight page weekly, and is published every Thurs-
day at $1.00 per year by the Williams Company, under the
editorship of Dale C. Williams. Harrison and Irelan were
the former proprietors. This paper is served by the Western
Newspaper Union and is a remarkable illustration of what
grit and enterprise can do in a small town to promote its
Besides these papers the Union City Eagle and Times, pub-
lished just across the state line, have some circulation in the
county, and help to foster that healthy local pride which
tends to strengthen and build up a community. It is doubt-
ful if any other county in Ohio of similar population and con-
dition has as many local papers as Darke county. This indi-
cates an intelligent and progressive citizenship and augurs
well for the future of the county.
The history of the development of banks and financial in-
stitutions in the Nation, State and County is closely inter-
woven with the history of social progress. Banks are indis-
pensable to the merchant, manufacturer and farmer for the
proper transaction of their business aiTairs, and building-
associations are a great aid to the small depositor and home
builder. The presence of well established institutions of this
kind in a community is an almost infallible indication of sta-
bility and prosperity. In spite of the present unpopularity
of Wall Street and the excessive number of multi-million-
aires, people have generally come to acknowledge that money
and monetary establishments are essential to advanced civil-
ization, and a financial education is deemed desirable by those
who conduct even a small business.
Farmers' National Bank.
The scarcity of money in the early history of the State
and county has already been noted, furs and farm produce
being the local medium of exchange. Along in the "thii:ics
and "forties" loans were made and notes discounted by pri-
vate individuals, among whom John Hufnagle and H. W.
Emerson were well known. The gradual but substantial de-
velopment of the county and the steady growth of the coun-
ty seat, however, soon called for regular banking facilities
and in October, 1853, the Farmers' Bank was organized by J.
W. Frizell and J. L. Winner, with a capita! of $30,000.00.
This bank passed safely through all the financial disturb-
ances just prior to the Civil War and was organized April
3, 1863, into a national bank under the title of the Farmers'
National Bank which it bears today. The first officers of this
bank were Washington A. Weston, president, and John L.
Winner, cashier. With these gentlemen, H. A\'. Emerson,
G. W. Studabaker and J. W. Frizell were associated as direc-
tors, assuring from the beginning a strong and reliable man-
agement of the bank's affairs. Previous to this time Mr.
Winner had been successivelv engaged in the hotel, drug and
406 DARKE COUNTY
dry goods business and had served in the Ohio legislature ;
Mr. Weston likewise had an extended business experience in
Piqua, Covington and Dayton, had established the first hard-
ware store in Greenville in 1848, and had served in the state
legislature ; Mr. Emerson had been a brigadier-general of
Ohio militia, a justice of the peace, and a promiennt broker;
Mr. Frizell had been a school teacher, a lawyer and clerk of
the Court of Common Pleas, while Mr. Studabaker had been
a prosperous farmer and stock buyer.
T. S. Waring succeeded J. L. Winner as cashier in 1873,
when the latter purchased the Exchange Bank, an institution
v/hich had been established by Frank Mc^^'hinney in 1869,
and continued in business until 1880, when it was closed.
James M. Lansdowne, who had served as cashier of the Ex-
change Bank throughout its history, became cashier of the
Farmers' National Bank in the fall of 1889 and served until
his death in 1898. Geo. \\'. Sigafoos who was serving his
second term as county auditor, resigned that position and be-
came cashier January 31, 1901, and is still serving in that
capacity. Howard S. Kolp is assistant cashier ; Conrad Kipp
is president, H. Ed Hufnagle, vice-president, and D. W. Bow-
man, S. Corwin Riegel and Joseph Menke members of the
board of trustees. This bank is a member of the American and
state banking associations, and is reported in the Bankers'
Register in January, 1913. with a paid-up capital of $84,000.00
surplus and undivided profits of $140,000.00, deposits $450,-
This bank is located on the southwest corner of Broadway
and the public square in a handsome stone faced building
erected in 1882. and is doing a substantial business.
Greenville National Bank.
The Greenville National Bank is the successor of the Bank
of Greenville, which was organized by Hufnagle, Allen &
Co., February 22, 1876, with a capital stock of $200,000.00,
the stockholders being held individually liable. The first
officers were John Hufnagle, president; Judge \^'m. Allen,
vice-president, and L. L. Bell, cashier. The directors were
John Hufnagle, Judge James M. Meeker, John Devor and L.
L. Bell. ]\Iessrs. Hufnagle. IMeeker and Bell were large own-
ers of real estate in the county. Judge Allen was a promin-
ent attorney and had served the Fourth District in Cono-ress
during the thirty-sixth and thirty-seventh terms, and John
Devor was prominently connected with the Greenville Arti-
ficial Gas Company. In 1885 this bank was re-organized
under the state law as the Greenville Bank Company, and
opened up for business on August 10th, with a capital of $31,-
500 and over $100,000.00 of deposits. The officials elected at
that time were ^^m. S. Turpen, president; R. B. Jamison,
vice-president : Geo. H. Martz, cashier and F. T. Conkling,
teller. E. ^Y. Otv^'ell and John C. Clark served as directors
with Turpen, Jamison and Martz. Frank T. Conkling who
had been with the bank since its organization in 1876, was
made cashier in 1893, and served in this capacity until his
death in the summer of 1913. In the thirty-seven years of
his connection with this bank he made for himself a fine
record as a financier with a reputation extending throughout
the county. The Greenville Bank Company was made a Na-
tional bank February 10, 1904. The Bankers' Register in
January, 1913, gives it a paid-up capital of $100,000.00, sur-
plus and undivided profits $179,000.00, deposits $400,000.00,
loans and discounts, stocks, bonds and securities $580,000.00.
Adelbert Martz, who had been with the bank for over twenty
years, was made cashier to succeed F. T. Conkling. deceased,
on July 4, 1913. The other officers now are: John H. Koes-
ter, president; T. A. Lecklider. vice-president: Thcis. Leck-
lider, Jr.. assistant cashier A. T. Marker, teller.
The directors are: ^Y. A. Browne, Sr., J. H. Koester, T. A.
Lecklider. H. A. Snorf, M. A. Maher, J. C. Elliott and W. E.
Nelson. This bank has been located on the northwest corner
of Broadway and Fourth street in Greenville, since its or-
The Second National Bank.
The Second National Bank of Greenville, Ohio, was organ-
ized May 14, 1883, was granted its charter July 3, 1883, and
opened for business on July 31, of that year. The first offic-
ers were Wm. K. Kerlin. president: Robert A. ShufTIeton,
cashier; David L. Meeker, John Devor, J. H. Martin, Henry
St. Clair and Augustus F. Koop, directors. The financial
standing and business qualifications of these men insured a
success of the enterprise from the beginning. Mr. Kerlin had
been a prosperous farmer and had served two terms as county
treasurer; R. A. Shuffleton had been a successful hardware
merchant and man of business ; D. L. Meeker had been a sue-
408 DARKE COUNTY
cessful attorney, and had served two terms as probate judge;
John H. Martin had served as county clerk and had had con-
siderable business experience; Henry St. Clair had established
the first wholesale grocery in Darke county, and was laying
the foundation of the largest private fortune in the county ;
and A. T. Koop had been for several years a prosperous hard-
ware man, and was well and favorably known in the com-
munit}'. He succeeded R. A. Shuffleton as cashier and served
about ten years.
This bank has continued to do a good business since its
establishment and has a conservative reputation. It is a
member of both the American and State Bankers" Associa-
tions, and is rated in the Bankers' Register of January, 1913,
as follows : Paid-up capital, $100,000.00, surplus and undi-
vided profit $115,000.00; deposits, $300,000.00; loans and dis-
counts, stocks, bonds and securities, $390,000.00. The pres-
ent officers are Jas. A. Ries, president: D. W. Bowman, vice-
president : S. A. Hostetter, cashier : Gales I.. Helm and W.
B. Marshall, assistant cashiers ; Rolla ^^^ Culbertson, clerk.
The directors are J. A. Ries. D. W. Bowman, S. A. Hostetter,
W. B. Pickering, A. J. Landis, E. E. Ortlepp and E. Culbert-
son. This bank is located on the east side of Broadway, two
doors north of Fourth street.
The Citizens' Bank.
This is a private bank and was established January- 1, 1902,
by Westerfield Bros., well known and prosperous wholesale
merchants and Chas. Schreel, a man of considerable business
ability, all men of well known integrity and financial respon-
sibility. In its twelve years of business it has transacted
considerable business and is rated by the Bankers' Register
of 1913 as having a financial responsibility of $150,000.00.
Its present ofiicers are Enoch W. Westerfield. president:
Marion W. Westerfield, vice-president : S. O. \\'esterfield,
cashier; Wm. H. Tillman, assistant cashier. It is located in
the Westerfield building on South Broadway, opposite Mar-
The increase of the towns in the county in size and the
gradual expansion of business and financial transactions in
recent years has called for the establishment of more banks
at convenient points. In response to this demand, banks
have been established in recent vears at Versailles, New Mad-
DARKE COUNTY 409
ison, Arcanum, Ansonia, Gettysburg, Rossburg and Pitts-
burg. According to the Bankers' Register of January, 1913.
tliese banks were rated as follows :
First National Bank. Established 1891. President, R. W.
Douglas; vice-president, D. F. Douglas; cashier, C. B. Doug-
las. Paid-up capital, $30,000. Surplus and undivided profits,
$8,000. Deposits, $175,000. Loans and discounts, stocks,
bonds and securities, $150,000.
Peoples' Bank Company (State Bank). Established 1897.
Member American and State Bankers' Associations. Presi-
dent, L. C. Klipstine ; vice-president, Joseph Manier, Sr. ;
cashier, E. C. IManier, and assistant cashier, A. F. Prakel.
Paid-up capital, $40,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $10,-
000. Deposits, $175,000. Loans and discounts, stocks, bonds
and securities, $175,000.
Farmers' Banking Company (private). Established 1889.
Member of American and State Banking Associations. Pres-
ident, Richie ; vice-president, W. R. Hageman ; cashier,
J. D. King ; assistant cashier, C. Hartman. Paid-up capital,
$30,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $6,100.
Citizens' Bank Company (state bank). Established 1903.
Member State Bankers' Association. T. J. Hostetter, vice-
president and assistant cashier ; F. S. Kiser, cashier. Paid-
up capital, $25,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $5,000.
Deposits, $74,000. Loans, discounts, stocks, bonds and se-
First National Bank. Established 1908. Member of State
Bankers' Association. President, E. E. ^^ance ; vice-presi-
dent, J. W. Hufnagle; cashier, A. J. Comstock. Paid-up cap-
ital, $25,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $1,500. De-
posits, $105,000. Loans and discounts, stocks, bonds and se-
First National Bank. Established 1893. ■Member of Am-
erican and State Bankers' Associations. President, M. M.
Smith; vice-president, H. J. Niswonger ; cashier, C. C- Tay-
lor; assistant cashier, G. F. Riegle. Paid-up capital, $50,000.
Surplus and undivided profits, $30,000. Deposits, $213,000.
410 DARKE COUNTY
Cash and due from banks, $49,000. Loans and discounts,
stocks, bonds and securities, $242,000.
Farmers' National Bank. Established 1902. President,
W. J. Dull ; vice-president, Ed Ammon ; cashier, O. O. Smith ;
assistant cashier, L. L. Muller. Paid-up capital, $50,000.
Surplus and undivided profits, $24,000. Deposits, $212,000.
Cash and due from banks, $46,000. Loans and discounts,
stocks, bonds and securities, $240,000.
Citizens' National Bank. President, A. F. Myers ; cashier,
F. P. Lehman ; assistant cashier, A. W. Fair. Paid-up capi-
tal. $30,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $19,000. De-
posits, $119,000. Cash and due from banks, $50,000. Loans
and discounts, stocks, bonds, securities, $134,000.
First National Bank. Established 1909. Member of State
Bankers' Association. President, G. Reisley ; vice-president,
C. O. Niswong-er ; cashier, G. S. Dennison ; assistant cashier,
C. O. Niswonger. Paid-up capital, $25,000. Surplus and un-
divided profits, $4,000. Deposits. $60,000. Cash and due
from banks, $12,000. Loans and discounts, stocks, bonds and
Farmers" Bank (State bank). Established 1904. Member
of State Bankers' Association. President. Geo. N. Edger ;
vice-president, E. H. Black ; cashier, H. H. Davis. Paid-up
capital, $12,000. Surplus and undivided profits, $2,100. De-
posits, $60,000. Loans and discounts, stocks, bonds and se-
BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATIONS.
The Greenville Building Company.
Building and Loan Associations are corporations sprung
up among the people themselves, organized under state laws,
run by the people and fur their sole benefit with the chief
object of encouraging saving and homewinning. The first
building and loan association was organized during the big
building boom late in the "sixties." J. T. Martz and George
Martz acted as secretary of this compan}' which later dis-
DARKE COLTNTY 411
The history of The Greenville Building Company dates
back to the year 1883, when in May Messrs. William Schnaus,
Christian Knoderer, C. M. Anderson, Jno. C. Turpen, Wil-
liam H. Hart, William Thompson, L. F. Limbert, A. F. Koop,
M. G. Wilson, J. K. Riffel and B. F. Weaver signed articles
of incorporation, L. E.' Chenoweth acting as notary public,
and Jno. H. Martin, clerk of the Common Pleas Court, cer-
tifying to the latters' commission of authority.
The board of directors organized June 15, 1883, by elect-
ing Geo. W. Moore as president, L. F. Limbert, secretary
and William Schnaus, treasurer. Mr. Geo. W. Moore, who
as senator from this district, had taken a particular interest
in legislation affecting building companies, was continuously
elected president until 1900, when he was succeeded by Geo.
W. Sigafoos, and he in turn by William Thompson, who
served from 1902-03. In 1903 G. F. Schmermund was elected
president of the board of directors and still serves in that ca-
L. F. Limbert was re-elected secretary in June, 1884, and
was succeeded in September of that year by P. H. Maher. J.
B. Kolp was elected secretary in June, 1885, and served four
years, being succeeded by Geo. A. Jobes, who acted as sec-
retary for eleven consecutive years. The present secretary,
Geo. A. Katzenberger, was elected to that position in June,
The treasurer, V\^ilHam Schnaus, served two years and was
succeeded by William Thompson, who served until 1889.
C. C. Stoltz was elected treasurer in June, 1889, but resigned
in December of the same year, James L. Lansdowne being
chosen to fill the vacancy and serving until his death in Xo-
vember, 1899. The present treasurer. Dr. A. J. Marling, was
elected November 13, 1899. and continuously re-elected an-
nually since that time.
W. Y. Stubbs has acted as attorney for the association
continuously since 1888, and John Rentz has served as vice-
president since 1905.
During the past fifteen years the companv has grown very
rapidly, its assets increasing from about sixtv thousand dol-
lars to $240,000. The contingent or surplus fund for possi-
ble losses was $1,100 in 1900, and is now about $6,000. The
company has always paid 6 per cent, dividends or more, and
has had no losses on real estate for about fifteen vears, nor
has it in that time been required to take in any real est?te
412 DARKE COUNTY
under foreclosure proceedings. The company has aljout nine
hundred depositors who are well pleased with the security
of their savings and income off of their investment, and the
150 people who have secured loans from the association find
the board of directors fair and lenient in their treatment.
The association is examined annuqlly by three citizens,
and the state bureau sends official examiners to go over the
books and verify the annual statement made by the secre-
tary to the State of Ohio. Officers are under bond and di-
rectors do such service without remuneration. This asso-
ciation also issues certificates of deposit paying three per
cent, interest from date of deposit.
The present board of directors consists of G. F. Schmer-
mund, John Rentz. Dr. A. J. Marling. W. Y. Stubbs. Geo.
W. Sigafoos. Omer S. Broderick, Geo. G. J-Iildebrand. \V\\-
Ham E. Halley and Geo. A. Katzenberger, and ail have the
best interests of the cimpanv at heart.
Citizens' Loan and Savings Association.
The Citizens' Loan and Savings Association of Greenville
was organized in 1898 by Frank Conklin, J- P- DufTey, P. H.
Maher, J. C. Clark, Conrad Kipp and W. A. Browne, Sr.
Thos. Alaher was the first secretary'. This association is not
incorporated, but is managed by a board of men of large ex-
perience in business, law and finance.
Its offices were in the Roland building, corner Fourth and
Broadway, for several years, but have been located for about
a year in the new Krickenberger building. No. 112i \\'est
Fourth street. The fiscal year begins the first Saturday in
March and ends the last Saturday in February, and divi-
dends are declared on stock of record the first Tuesday in
IVIarch annually. Any amount is received on deposit at any
time and shares in the earnings from date of deposit.
This company has always paid 6 per cent, dividends which
are allowed to accumulate and share in the profits. The
following is a statement of the standing of the company at
the close of business January 31, 1914:
Cash on hand $ 145.96
Pass book loans 5,587.54
Mortgage loans (face) 149,703.03
Insurance, taxes, etc., paid 270.00
Accrued interest 3,000.00
Depositors' shares $150,668.13
Contingent fund 476.98
Undivided profits 7.561.42
When compared with the report of March 1, 1913, this
statement shows a gain of $40,000.00. At present the affairs
of the association are managed by the following well known
citizens: P. H. Maher, president; Conrad Kipp, vice-presi-
dent; O. R. Krickenberger, secretary and attorney: Adelbert
Martz, treasurer. Board of managers, W. A. Browne, St.,
Conrad Kipp, P. H. Maher, James Boyer, O. R. Ivrickenber-
ger, John B. Maher and Adelbert Martz.
The Versailles Building and Loan Company, of Versailles,
Ohio, was incorporated on the 13th day of December, A. D.
1887, with a capital stock of $300,000.00, which was afterward,
January the 2d, 1911, increased to $1,000,000.00.
The names of the incorporators were : John W. Starbuck,
Thos. Fahnestock, Wm. H. Rike, J. C. Turpen, J. G. Stierle,
Felix Manier, E. G. Frankman. J. C. Williamson and I. M.
The names of the officers at present are : Geo. H. Worch,
president ; H. A. Frankman, vice-president ; Emery Zechar,
treasurer ; A. Calderwood, secretary and attorney ; board of
directors, Geo. H. Worch, H. A. Frankman, Con. Cashman,
A. J. Reed, Nick Alexander, Leonard Marker and Joseph
Financial statement at the close of business December 31,
414 DARKE COUNTY
Cash on hand $ 11,885.31
Loans on mortgages 216,714.20
Furniture and fixtures 422.11
Insurance and taxes due 300.35
Deposits in other B. & L.'s 5,000.00
Dues on running S $ 43,104.74
Loan credits 21,295.75
Paid-up stock and dividends 128,315.41
Deposits and accrued interest 36,502.99
Reserve fund 5,018.54
Undivided profit fund 2.084.54
Unfinished loans 1,000.00
The Arcanum Building and Loan Association was incor-
porated August 22, 1885, and its authorized capital is $200,-
The officers are as follows : President, W". J. Edwards ;
treasurer, E. B. Hawley ; secretary, G. T. Reigle and attorney,
Kirk Hoffman. Its assets are about $15,000.00, and its rate
of dividend 4 per cent.
The New Madison Loan and Building Association was in-
corporated April 5, 1895, and has an authorized capital of
$200,000.00. W. R. Hagenian is president, J. D. King treas-
urer, and Cora Hartman, secretary.
Assets are about $20,000.00, and its rate of dividend 5 per
DARKE COUNTY AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY.
From what has been said about the depth, composition and
fertihty of the soil of Darke county, the abundance of small
streams, the gently rolling uplands, the beautiful valleys and
the prairies, and level expanses of alluvial formation, it might
readily be surmised that this county was early destined to be
in the forefront of all the counties of the state in the pro-
duction of agricultural products. The large area of the coun-
ty and the presence of a goodly number of farmers of German
descent also contributed materially to the same result.
Before the first half century of its history had passed such