by magic, had reached the soul of his audience, and their
hearts and his beat in unison, it seemed he heard the echo of
the distant footsteps of the great old master, and their
rounded sentences perfect diction, lofty and inspiring senti-
ment, and matchless eloquence seemed to be ringing softly in
his ears, and filled his soul with the melody of sweet music
and at such times, all the magnetism and energies of his be-
ing were put forth, and his words flowed as smoothly as the
running brook, but with the force, grandeur and sublimity of
Niagara." He was always a close and discriminating student
of political questions and in 1878 made an effort to secure the
nomination for congress. The convention met in Sidney,
Ohio, and continued in constant session for three days and
three nights, and Mr. Anderson was defeated for the nomina-
tion by one and one-quarter votes. Again on the 7th of Au-
gust, 1884, he was a candidate for nomination for congress
which resulted in his securing the nomination on the first
ballot. He was elected the following October and served in
the forty-ninth congress until 1887.
In January, 1884, Mr. Anderson was commissioned judge
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
advocate general of Ohio by Governor Hoadley, which posi-
tion he held during the term of that chief executive. During
the time of the riot in Cincinnati by virtue of his oflRce Mr.
Anderson was on duty most of the time, being second in com-
mand. In 1890 he was appointed by Governor James E. Camp-
bell, one of Ohio's commissioners at the world's fair at Chi-
cago. In 1894 he was chosen by a joint resolution of the two
branches of congress as one of the board of managers for the
national home for disabled volunteer soldiers, which office he
filled for six years with such credit as to secure a reappoint-
ment. He was a prominent member of the Masonic and other
organizations in Greenville and was an officer and the largest
stockholder in the Greenville law library. He traveled exten-
sively in European countries and was an authority not only
on Shakespeare and Napoleon, but also on Egypt. He had a
very fine private library with the contents of which he was
familiar. In fine, he had few peers in this section of the state.
Orla E. Harrison was born near Hollansburg, in 1873, grad-
uated from Greenville high school in 1892 and received the
degree of Bachelor of Science from the National Normal Uni-
versity at Lebanon. After teaching for a few years, he read
law with Judge Allread and was admitted to the bar in 1897.
He was secretary of the Darke County Agricultural Society
and was not only the youngest member of the Ohio Senate in
1901 but was the first republican elected to that office from
Darke county. Subsequently he occupied important positions
in the office of the attorney general of Ohio, and in the office
of the attorney general of the United States, and is now prac-
ticing in Columbus, Ohio.
Robert T. Anderson, Rolin F. Crider, C. L. Brumbaugh,
James Chenoweth, Albert E. Fonts, A. Alvin North, Milton
Lee Clawson, Warren C. Swisher, Volney Williams, E. L.
Bigler, Alonzo S. Thomas, O. A. Baker, Charles J. O'Connor,
Alfred C. Cassatt, Alonzo Jones, S. R. Williams, John Fox,
Charles H. Miller, Harry Simon, John W. Donovan, A. V.
Miller, Roy H. Jamison and Thos. Eubanks, either moved
elsewhere, or took up more lucrative occupations.
The foregoing sketches of attorneys who practiced here
and either died or moved away, are not to be taken as fairly
setting forth the comparative ijierits of the persons under
consideration. The brief data of some and extended notices
about others is an indication onlv of the material readily
available to the compiler at the time of preparing this
The present members of the bar of Darke county, who have
not been referred to under the bench or prosecuting attorneys
on preceding pages are Guy C. Baker, T. A. Billingsly, D. W.
Bowman, A. C. Brandon, W. D. Brumbaugh, Claude
Eliker, A. Calderwood, L. E. Chenoweth, George F. Crawford,
502 DARKE COUNTY
H. F. Dershem, W. W. Fowler, D. L. Gaskill, J. ^1. Hoel, Kirk
Hoffman, Thomas J. Hughes, George A. Katzenberger, O. R.
Krickenberger, George W. Mannix, P. B. Miller, T. C. Miller,
S. E. Mote, Marion Murphy, Geo. W. Porter, A. C. Robeson,
\\ . Y. Stubbs, Martin B. Trainor, Morgan L. Trainor, E. C.
Wright and D. W. Younker. It would be obviously difficult
to sound their respective praises without being liable to a
suspicion of partiality, or possibly in some instances of
prejudice. Not only are they all well able to speak for them-
selves, but it is probable that extended biographies of the ma-
jority will be found in Volume H of this work. Suffice it to
say that perhaps without exception they endeavor to be true
to their oath as officers of the court, and that they have quali-
fications other than the mere glib of their tongue.
The maintenance of law and order by the state is nothing
but a continual struggle against the lawlessness which vio-
lates them. As long as human nature is as it is, so long as
human passions, greed and other vices cause men to do that
which is not right or just, so long as the golden rule is not
universally applied, so long there must be law and lawyers.
It has always been custom to ridicule lawyers. Shakespeare,
in Henrv \"I, has one character to say, "The first thing we
do, let's kill all the lawyers," and Bassanio in the Merchant
of \*enice exclaims:
"In law, what plea so tainted and corrupt
But, being season'd with a gracious voice.
Obscures the show of evil?"
But after all, most lawyers are no worse than the clients
who engage them. There always will be attorneys who will
make a living by stirring up strife unnecessarrily and taking
cases that they know to be without merit, and against such
lawyers even an enlightened public opinion is powerless.
We conclude from Hamlet :
'Tn the corrupted currents of this world
Oft'ence's gilded hand may shove by justice.
And oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself
Bu3's out the law : but 'tis not so above ;
There is no shuffling, there the action lies
In his true nature ; and we ourselves compell'd,
Even to the teeth and forehead of our faults,
To sfive in evidence."
LOCAL MILITIA ORGANIZATIONS.
By Lieut. Geo. A. Katzenberger, Company AI. Third Regi-
ment, O. N. G.
That a man shall serve his country in time of war. is noble,
brave and patriotic ; but that a man shall properly prepare
himself in time of peace to serve in war is all of these things
and more. It is noble with a nobility which is real, not
ideal. It is brave with a bravery which assumes in time o:
unemotional peace many burdens, among them that of bear-
ing the lack of appreciation of those who do not consider
military preparation or training necessary.
In time of war reliance is first placed upon the regular army
and in this free republic there is such a lack of interest in
matters military and such an apprehension of the large stand-
ing armv that the United States at no time in its history has
had a large fighting force. It seems to be felt that in time
of trouble the masses would floc'.c to the front in such num-
bers and with such enthusiasm that a large standing army is
unnecessary. Repeated wars since the establishment of this
government have proven this faith to be well founded. For-
tunatelv the people in the early part of our existence as a
nation adopted the second amendment to the constitution to
the effect that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to
the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and
bear arms, shall not be infringed."
The Ohio constitution for 1802 laid emphasis upon the dan-
ger of a standing army hut nevertheless provided for a mili-
tia. The second legislature (December, 1803), organized a
militia system dividing the state into districts, each of which
should muster a military division. In 1811 to 1812 governor
Return J- Meigs, Jr., gave the strength and equipment of the
militia as follows :
Grand total 35.349
Rank and file 32,640
Firearms of all kinds 13,313
Alen without arms 19,327
504 DARKE COUNTY
About this time the second war with Great Britain took
place and ]\Iajor George Adams, of Dayton, but who now lies
buried in Martin cemetery southeast of Greenville, was in
command of the fort here, holding the rank of lieutenant col-
onel in the militia. There were adjutants general under suc-
ceeding governors but the state legislature rarely provided
more than from $1.00 to $300.00, compensation for them ?md
but little progress could be made. It seems well nigh impos-
sible to impress more than a few people with the fact that a
nation which goes to war unprepared, educates its statesmen
at more expense than its soldiers.
Notwithstanding adverse military conditions, in time the
laws of the state had so far de\eloped as to positively require
of every able-bodied man between the ages of eighteen and
forty-five, to repair to a certain place in the county, to be
named by the chief commanding officer, for the purpose of
drill, and such a clause became part of Article IX of the Ohio
constitution in 1851. and has since been retained. The place
mostly selected for the purpose of drill was the county seat
and the time generally some day in September or October.
The first brigadier general appointed for the county, and
in the coimty by the governor and authority of the general
assembly, was William Emerson, resident of Harrison town-
ship. He was a very good looking, large and portly man,
weighing 220 pounds and when dressed in his uniform had
quite a military air. But as times of peace bring no laurels
to the soldier, so General Emerson's term of commanding the
militia of the county was without particular glory. The gen-
eral with his subordinate officers generally had a gala day and
a good time at muster, as whiskey was plenty and everybody
approved its use. The rank and file did not enjoy the situa-
tion quite so much, being under drill from 10 a. m. until 3
p. m., carrying a gun, stick or corn-stalk without much rest or
shade. The drill ground was the low-lands at the south end
of town where the groimd is level and was finely sodded with
a thick, short grass, soft as a carpet. During the interval be-
tween general muster, the various companies composing a reg-
iment were required to drill one day in the year in the town-
ship of their residence. General Emerson continued to com-
mand about ten years and had about that number of general
musters at which he commanded. It may be thought by some
at the present, that the old muster day was of no import-
ance. On the contrary it was a day full of interest, felt by
DARKE COUNTY 505
almost every citizen in the cCiUnty. It would luring- together
hundreds of spectators. The manoeuvers on the field were
intended to be according to Scott's tactics.
The thirty-sixth legislative session, which met in Decem-
ber, 1837, and adjourned the following March, appointed as
major general of the tenth division, Hiram Bell. The patriot-
ism of the masses in regard to drill and mustering had greatly
cooled. General Bell held two or three annual reviews and
musters, and was succeeded in command by Gen. J.' H. Hos-
tettor. He also attempted to rally the interests of the people
in matters military but the people were apathetic. He made
one or two spasmodic efforts to keep up the customs but to
little avail. It is not to be supposed that these generals were
particularly learned in the military laws and regulations. It
may be safely assumed that some of their commands were
more amusing than instructive and that the time lost in at-
tending the musters was worth as much as the instructions
received. There are so many people who have conscientious
scruples against military service, so many who are unwilling
from other motives to serve, and so many who have faith in
an early millennium of universal peace, that there is little
wonder that people lack interest.
In May, 1846, President Polk called for 50,000 men and
war was officially declared against Mexico. Not only among
the militia companies but among the citizens generally there
were indications of a desire to take part in the contest. The
militia of Montgomery county, organized as the first brigade,
which was commanded by brigadier general, Adam Speice,
was attached to the tenth division of the Ohio militia, all
under the command of Major General Hiram Bell, of Green-
ville. A public meeting was held in the city hall in Dayton.
General Adam Speice as chairman, stated that the object of
the meeting was to give an expression of the sentiment of
the people with reference to the war and to adopt such meas-
ures as were calculated to encourage the enrollment of vcil-
unteers. At the close of the speaking the following resolu-
tions were offered and adopted :
"Resolved, That we view with satisfaction the promptness
with which our congress has drawn the sword and appealed
to the God of battles to establish what has been as earnestly
sought as it has been insolently refused — peace with ^Mexico
and peace with Texas.
"Resolved. That it becomes u? as American citizens, de-
506 DARKE COUNTY
siring the success of our arms, to cast off the shackles of
party and unite in carrying our country speedily and trium-
phantly through the war.
"Resolved. That, as it is our duty as soldiers to be always
ready, we will exert ourselves to fill up the rank of our com-
panies, and whenever the requisite number of good and true
men shall have been obtained, we will march to the seat of
war, rejoicing in the opportunity afforded of defending our
Governor Hartley on May 20th in compliance with the
president's requisition, issued general order No. 1, calling
upon division generals to muster their commands at once and
thus ascertain how many men would enlist as infantry or
rifllemen for twelve months' service, unless sooner dis-
charged. Major General Bell, at Greenville, received the
order on the 23d and immediately ordered the tenth division
to assemble by brigades at the following places :
The first brigade at Dayton. May 26th ; the second, at Troy.
May 27th; the third, at Sidney. May 28th; and the fourth, at
Greenville, May 29th.
On May 28th, a meeting was held at the city hall at Dayton
and resolutions were adopted to the effect that whatever dif-
ferences of opinion may have existed or might still exist with
reference to the causes or the necessity of war with Mexico,
now that it had actvially begun it was the duty of every citi-
zen, as well as the dictate of enlightened patriotism, to forego
those differences of opinion and to forget all other and
meaner considerations for that of the glory of our cherished
country, and approving the call for .^0,000 men to carry on the
The Da3'ton companies were included in the first regiment,
and saw service at the battle of Monterey.
It is difficult at this time to secure authentic information
concerning subsequent military organizations in this vicinity.
The part taken by the citizens of Darke county in the great
civil conflict has been fulh' treated in this and other volumes,
and this chapter endeavors to relate chiefly to the militia as
such. In the fifties, Jonathan Crainor was captain of a mili-
tary company. Harvey Mark was in command of a company
called the Greenville Guards. There was also a company of
militia composed chiefly of Germans under command of Cap-
tain Billy Schmidt, the leading druggist. Among the mem-
bers of this latter organization were Nicholas Kuntz. Fred or
DARKE COUNTY 507
Gottfried Brombacher, Peter Ashman, Nicholas Ashman,
Louis Foutz, Fred Koenig and his brother John Koenig. This
organization was known as the Greenville Jaegers. There
was also a company of soldier boys under command of Davis
Another company of militia was organized in April, 1881,
and assigned to the Third Regiment, O. X. G., as "C" Com-
pany and mustered in by Adjt. General H. A. Axline.
Edward Martin, captain.
Oscar Van Horn, iirst lieutenant.
E. H. A^oelkle, second lieutenant.
The onlv services performed while Martin was in command
was four davs' service in connection with President Garfield's
funeral at Cleveland. Ohio. Martin resigned command in
September, 1883, and was succeeded by John Golenor. Among
the members of this company were as follows :
Charles Balser, Tom Beanblossom, Pies Bell, Ellison Cole,
Ed Craig, Horace Curtis, Dan Devilbliss, James Dick, Dixon
George, Will Downey, William Dunker, Reuben Enoch, John
Fight, Charles Gerstner, Tom Gibblin, Charles Gilbert, John
Golenor, Samuel Hays, W. Halsted, A. L. Hays, Wm. Hays,
C. Hollehan, Wm. Hoisted, Jacobs Toney, Jos. Leckleider,
Michael Maher, Thomas Maher, Gyp. Matchett, Capt. Ed.
IMartin, Dr. A. F. Markwith, Wm. Mercer, Wm. R. :\Iiller,
Frank M. ^lills, Tom McCune, James Moore, Dan JMurphy,
Jno. F. Alurphy, Samuel Ray, David Ream, David Ries, John
,Ries, Pete Renschler, Charles Roland, Jr., Truman Sothron,
Ed Sothron, J. X. Smelker, X'^ewton Scribner, Dan Schach-
inger, James Smith, Mark Smith, T. X^ewton Smith, John
Slonaker, Wm. Slonaker, George Smith, Charles Smith, Jacob
Stickle, A\^m. Stone, George Swisher, John H. Swartz, Carn
Ullery, Ed \^an Horn, Oscar Van Horn, Wm. Webb, George
Witters, George Wolf and Oliver P. Wolf.
Before this company disbanded it saw service in Cincin-
nati in 1884 during the riots at the time the court house was
Matters militarj' were dormant until after the Spanish-
Companjr M, Third Regiment of Infantry, O. X. G., was
mustered into service February 25, 1901, by Major C. B.
Adams of adjutant general headquarters, Capt. Wm. E.
Ewing, assistant surgeon, as medical examiner. Muster oc-
curred at the court house, Greenville, Ohio. The company
508 DARKE COUNTY
was attached to the First Battahon under command of Alajcr
Ray M. Gilbert, with headquarters at Greenville. It is
worthy of note here that Major Gilbert was exceedingly ac-
tive in the organization of the company and gave much of his
time later to the drilling and perfecting of the organization.
Henry L. Yount, who had been a private and later second
lieutenant in Company G, at Gettysburg, was chosen cap-
tain, James J. Martz first lieutenant, William A. Browne, Jr..
second lieutenant. The first drills were held in the city hall
and in 1901 the company headquarters were moved into the
armory built for Company M. The armory is located on
AYalnut street, between Alain and Third streets. It is cen-
trally located and is ample, large and well arranged. A. A'.
A\'illiams was the first sergeant of the company and was suc-
ceeded by Arthur V. Miller on January 7, 1902. C. Fred
Lockett was the first quarter master sergeant, but was dis-
charged May 27. 1902 and promoted to adjutant to Major
Ray M. Gilbert, succeeding Wm. R. Pruner, resigned, and
served until 1908. The personnel of the company at its or-
ganization was as follows :
Orlie R. Beanblossom, Lewis Black, Carl H. Bowman,
Lynn Brown, Wm. A. Browne, Jr., Edgar A. Burtch. Orval
R. Brandon, Omer Brandon. Ernest Aukerman. \'ernon K.
Craig. David A. Dorman, subsequently corporal, sergeant,
first sergeant batallion, sergeant major and finally batallion
quartermaster and commissary with rank of second lieuten-
ant, remaining in the service until 1910. Robert Dalrymple.
Murray Eidson, Ora W. Evans, John T. Ferron subsequently
first lieutenant. Joe C. Hindsley, Orval Horlacher, Howard
B. Hoei subsequently second lieutenant, Ormel A. Kellogg.
Henry M. Kreusch. C. Fred Lockett, Benj. F. Martz. James
J. Martz subsequently captain. Ray McFarland, James L.
Morningstar. \\'ilber R. Martin. Dwight L. IMatchette com-
pany clerk. Ira A. Markwith, Arthur V. Miller subsequently
second lieutenant and captain. Ray A. McKeon. A\^alter S.
McKeon. Samuel Miller, Glen D. IMartin, Clayton E. Xoggle.
Walter W. Nusbaum, Fred W. Plessinger, Patrick H. Ryan,
J. E. Rooks, Wm. S. Rhotehamel, Ernest H. Reece. Fred X.
Rebka. Frank Sloan, Wm. C. Snyder, .\lvie D. Stocker. Fred
Smith, Leslie Shoup, Richard D. Turpen, John P. Turpen.
Walter I. Vogt. Robert D. Warner for many years a very
efificient quartermaster sergeant in the regiment and still in
D\RKE COUNTY 509
tlie service, \'olney \\'illiar,is, General J. Young and Henry
The first non-commissioned officers were :
Sergeants: Volney Williams, Ray AIcKeon, Arthur \'.
Miller, Ernest H. Reece, C. Fred Lockett; corporals: Wm. C.
Snyder, General J. Young, Fred W. Plessinger, Fred LaFever,
David A. Dorman. Vernon K. Craig ; musicians : John P.
Turpen, Wm. W. Nusbaum. Miller succeeded Williams as
first sergeant and Young succeeded Lockett as quartermaster
sergeant ; Lynn Little succeeded Nusbaum as musician.
First -camp was in July, 1901, at Toledo, Ohio. Wm.
Krause, a member of the company was killed at Bufifalo, N.
Y., and buried by Company M, at Greenville Sunday, June
30th. Company M also officially attended the funeral of
Hugh Niswonger, Henry Ficken, Edgar Burtch. William
Gaskill and Jesse Lindley, U. S. A., who died in the Philip-
September 19, 1901, Company 'M. with entire Ohio Na-
tional Guard and United States troops, attended the funeral
of President McKinley at Canton, Ohio.
Thanksgiving dance was given Thursday, November 26,
1901, at which all regimental officers were present, it being
a successful military and social afifair, and succeeded by simi-
lar events usually on Washington's birthday.
Regular encampments of State guard participated in by
Company ]\I in 1902-1903 at Newark, Ohio, which were in-
structive and pleasing.
Company ]\I, with other commands of the Third Regiment
was ordered to report to Col. H. E. Mead at Springfield, Ohio,
to assist in maintaining peace and protecting property March
9 to 11, 1904. Forty-eight men assembled for action in two
hours' time, but no trouble was experienced at the scene of
riot. June 2, 1904, Major Ray M. Gilbert resigned his commis-
sion, and at a nominating convention to fill the vacancy held
at Dayton, June 10, 1904, Capt. Henry L. Yount, commanding
officer of Company M was nominated to fill the vacancy.
Election was held June 17, 1904, at which time he was elected
major. Second lieutenant W. A. Browne resigned the com-
mission, same taking effect June 20, 1904. About this time
the company moved into the Irwin building on East Fifth
street, where it still occupies suitable quarters.
The manoeuvers in August, 1904, were in Athens county,
and the encampment in August, 1906, near Bolivar, while in
510 DARKE COUNTY
1907, the Third Regiment went to Camp Perry on the shore
of Lake Erie. In 1908 the army manoeuvers were held at
Fort Benjamin Harrison, near Indianapolis, Ind., September
1 to 10, and August 8 to 20, 1909, Captain Dershem was last
in command of Company M, at Camp Perry, Ohio. The fol-
lowing year the joint manoeuvers with the United States
army was at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Captain Katzenberger
being in command of the local company. The subsequent
encampments until 1913 and at Dayton were under command
of Captain Gilbert.
The commanding ofificers of Company ]\I were successively
Henry L. Yount, from the time of the muster into service
February 25. 1901. until his election as major in June. 1904;
James J. ]\Iartz, who had acted as first lieutenant since the
organization of the company and was elected captain on
August 9. 1904, he was succeeded by Captain Arthur V.
]\Iiller, who was elected October 7, 1904. The next com-
manding officer was Harvey F. Dershem, who had had con-
siderable experience during sixteen years as member and
later officer of the very efficient company at Gettysburg. Cap-
tain Dershem was in command for about three years from
May 27, 1907, being succeeded in April, 1910, by First Lieu-
tenant George A. Katzenberger, who had served as batallion
quartermaster and commissary in 1908, and batallion adjutant
for several years. This officer had command of the company
during the Columbus street car riots from July 28, to August
9, 1910 and after raising the company's strength from thirty-
nine to sixty-three, was elected captain September' 1st of that
year, and commissioned while on the road to Fort Benjamin
Harrison. He was succeeded the following year by Ray
M. Gilbert, who had resigned as major and now upon re-
entering the service remained in command until he was, at
his own request, retired January 1, 1914. The captain-elect is
Charles S. Slade, a man well fitted for the position. The suc-
cessive first lieutenants were: James J. Martz, 1901-04;