is a separate organization known as the uniform rank, which
places special emphasis on the drill features of the order, and
the Pythian Sisters, all of whom meet in the elegantly fur-
nished lodge room on the upper floor of the Anderson build-
ing on the southeast corner of Broadway and Fourth streets.
Little Turtle Lodge No. 119, Improved Order of Red Men
was chartered August 14, 1889, with ninety-five charter mem-
bers, and now has a membership of about 250. A lodge was
originally organized in October, 1870, which flourished for a
while but finally surrendered its charter in May, 1875. The
present lodge, however, has continued its organization for
nearly a quarter of a century. Its meetings are held on the
upper floor of the Union block on South Broadway opposite
The Junior order is represented in Greenville by Gen. \Vm.
H. Lawton Council No. 147. Junior O. U. A. M.. which
DARKE COUNTY 533
meets on Monday night at 331 Broadway. This lodge was
chartered October 8, 1901, with 21 members and now has a
membership of about 170. This order now has ten lodges in
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Greenville Council No. 28, Daughters of America was
chartered January 9, 1904, with 25 members and has grown in
about ten years to a membership of about 115.
The Knights of the Golden Eagle have a lodge which meets
in their rooms on Broadway.
There are two fraternal insurance orders in the city : AVayne
Camp No. 4449, Modern Woodmen of America, was organ-
ized January 7, 1897, and now has 66 members including sev-
eral substantial citizens.
The Knights of the Maccabees have recently organized a
lodge under the number 417.
The United Commercial Travelers have an active organiza-
tion, made possible by the large number of traveling salesmen
who have chosen Greenville for their home.
The Elks organized a lodge about 1907, known as Tribe
No. 1139, B. P. O. E. Their wigwam is in the upper floors
of the Moore building on the northeast corner of Broadway
and Third street where meetings are held on Monday night.
The present membership is about 160.
Besides these orders there is a Grand Army Post and W.
R. C. mentioned elsewhere.
The ladies of Greenville have manifested their literary pro-
clivities by the establishment of seven clubs as follows:
The Dickens, organized in 1891.
Columbian, organized in 1892 and federated in 1895. It
has twenty active members and this year they are studying
Austria and Hungary and meet Tuesdays. President, Mrs. J.
J. Martz ; secretary, Mrs. E. F. Babb ; treasurer, Mrs. Lillian
"Sorosis" was organized in 1895, federated in 1897, with a
membership of twenty-four, and the members are studying
India the present year. They meet Thursdays. President,
Mrs. Martin Pierson ; secretary, Miss Mary Waring ; treas-
urer, Mrs. J. L. Selby.
"Altrurian" was organized in 1900, federated in 1901, with
a membership of twenty, and is now studying Ireland and
534 DARKE COUNTY
\^"ales. President, Mrs. M. W. W'esterfield ; secretary, ]\Irs.
Margaret Patty ; treasurer, Airs. Earl Martin.
"Fin de Siecle" was organized in 1900 and has twelve mem-
bers. This year they are studying South America republics,
Mexico, and are also giving some time to current topics, and
seasonable social events. President, Miss Lucille Matchett ;
secretary, Mrs. Horace Oglesby; treasurer, Aliss Edith Din-
inger. They meet Tuesdays.
"Emersonian" was organized in 1908. They meet \\'ednes-
days and have eighteen members. This club is studying
France the present year. President, Mrs. Corwin Reigle : sec-
retary, Mrs. John Matthews; treasurer. Miss Emma Kerlin.
The Up-to-Date, 1910.
These have been instrumental in promoting a love for the
better things in literature and thereby tending to raise the
ideals of the community.
As an active force for the betterment of the social, sani-
tary, and general moral condition of the community the
"Civic League'' was organized by the women of the city on
March 10, 1914, and has already grown to a membership of
about eighty. The scope of its work is indicated by the com-
mittees appointed to carry on its work, which are as follows:
Sanitation, outdoor art. children's auxiliary, streets and alleys,
industrial and rest room, charity, public buildings and recrea-
tion, membership and press. The present officers are : Presi-
dent, Mrs. J- L. Selby; first vice president, Mrs. Wm. Lynch;
second vice president, Mrs. F. H. Jobes ; third vice president,
Mrs. Minor McCool ; secretary, Mrs. H. K. Harvey ; corres-
ponding secretary, Mrs. Jas. G. Reid ; chairmen of committees :
Mesdames J. J. Martz, H. K. Schopp, G. W. Mace, E. F. Babb,
W. S. Rosser, Z. T. Dorman, J. M. Bickel and Miss A. M.
Buchwalter and Mrs. Chas. Matthews.
Already the force of this organization is being manifested
in clearing up the streets and alleys of the city and striving to
improve social conditions.
The Greenville Commercial Club was organized by the
men of the city to promote the business interests of the city,
especially by the securing of ncAV factories and industries
and advertising the advantages of Greenville as a social and
industrial center. This organization succeeded the Board of
Trade, which was organized several years ago. A. L. Baugh-
man (deceased), Charles Minnich, J. P. Duffey have been the
successive presidents. This organization has been largely in-
strumental in securing the Gem Manufacturing Company and
the Union Underwear Mills and laying out a new addition
on the east side of the city adjacent to the factory district,
thereby providing excellent factory sites and encouraging the
building of homes convenient for the employees. It has also
booked the Redpath Chautauqua for the reason of 1914 and
is endeavoring to secure a good park for the city.
Wm. E. Halley is now president; Ed Cornell, vice-presi-
dent; Guy C. Baker, secretary and Adelbert Martz, treasurer
of this club. The directors are: W. J. Irwin, W. D. Rush, G.
F. Schmermund, Burr Evans, E. A. Grubbs, J. O. Winters, E.
C. Wright, Robert Burdge and C. C. Minnich.
Executive committee — W. J. Irwin, W. D. Rush, Charles
Minnich, F. G. Schmermund and E. C. Wright.
New Industry Committee — J. H. Martz, D. E. Horn and
M. A. Maher.
Present Industry Committee — Horace Ogelsby, D. L. Gas-
kill and S. L. Brenner.
Retail Committee — Harry \'ance, Roy Mong and George
Public Improvement Committee — Dr. .\. ^^^ Rush, M. \\\
Limbert and C. C. Hall.
Civic Committee — Frank Jobes, C. J. Herr and S. M. Rust.
Membership Committee — Robert Burdge, Ed Cornell and
Guv C. Baker.
.Advertising Committee — R. R. Winters, Stanley Frizell and
John H. Mannix.
Entertainment Committee — Charles Biehaut, A. Martz, I. M.
Pierson, James Martz and J. O. AVinters.
Chautauqua Committee — Charles Minnich, C. C. McKin-
ney, John ^Martz and Guy C. Baker.
Good Roads Club.
The Good Roads Club was organized in December, 1913,
for the purpose of improving the condition of the highways of
Darke county. This is one of the most active organizations
in the county and is succeeding through the instrumentality
536 DARKE COUNTY
of press and public meetings in educating a strong sentiment
in favor of better roads. James R. ^Marker, the present state
highway commissioner, is a son of Darke county and has lent
his assistance in forwarding the local work. The present
ofiQcers are E. R. Fouts, president; Charles York, secretary,
and James Knupp, treasurer.
There are two important societies whose field of activity
comprehends the entire county, which deserve prominent
The Darke County Horse Thief Detective Association.
This society was organized as early as ]\Iarch, 1845. under
the name of the "Darke County Self Protection Association,"
for the purpose of securing the arrest, conviction and punish-
ment of horse thieves and other depredators. At that time
property was less secure in the rural districts than it is today
and the protective association proved a valuable instrument
for deterring and preventing lawless acts. This society or-
ganized with about twenty members. James Devor was the
first president ; John Wharry, secretary, and David Stamm
treasurer. Interest in the work of the society seems to have
declined and early in the "seventies" a reorganization was
eiTected with Thomas Lecklider as president, and Arthur
Baird secretary. The society now has an active member-
ship of about 280, and holds quarterly meetings in ]\Iarch,
June, September and December. The present officers are:
W. R. Stuck, president ; J. C. White, secretary ; D. L. Gaskill,
The Patrons of Husbandry.
This organization was effected at an earl}- date for the pur-
pose of promoting the social, financial and agricultural inter-
ests of the farmers of the entire county. The Greenville
Grange was organized in April, 1874. A Grange store was
soon started on Broadway, but closed after a brief struggle
for existence. The present policy of the Grange is to buy in
wholesale lots and distribute direct such articles as food
stufifs, fertilizers, binder-twine, paints, etc., and to sell grains
for its members in car-load lots.
There are now seven subordinate granges in Darke county,
and two in Preble county organized as "Pomona Grange,"
which meets bi-monthly for social and business purposes.
The present officers are:
DARKE COUNTY 537
Master — E. T. Wagner.
Overseer — Calvin Marick.
Lecturer — C. L. Jones.
Chaplain — Mrs. E. T. Wagner.
Assistant Steward — W. C. Gauby.
Lady Assistant Steward — Mrs. W. C. Gauby.
Treasurer — W. E. Thompson.
Recording secretary — Mrs. B. M. Allen.
Financial Secretary — Pearl E. Trick.
Pomona — Mrs. D. E. Hoffman.
Flora — Mrs. C. L. Jones.
Ceres — Mrs. Calvin Marick.
Gatekeeper — C. F. Bliss.
The gradual but substantial growth of Greenville is indi-
cated by the census statistics as follows :
Year 1860, population 1,650; 1870, 2,520; 1880, 3,535; 1890,
5,473 ; 1900. 5,501 ; 1910, 6,237. The population by wards in
1910 was: First, 1,341; Second, 1,798; Third, 1.766; Fourth,
1,332. The present population probably approximates 7.000.
The real property of the city was assessed in 1913 at
$5,428,480.00 and the personal property at $2,911,744.00. It is
expected that the return of chattels in 1914 will increase the
latter amount about $500,000.00.
Greenville is classified as a city of the second class under the
laws of the state and has the following officials:
Mayor — Benjamin F. Scholl.
Auditor — C. R. Jobes.
Director of Service — D. "\^^ Shively.
Director of Safety— W. D. Rush.
Superintendent of Water Works — John P. Lucas.
Street Commissioner — Smith O'Brien.
City Clerk — Karl Schmermund.
Treasurer — Frank Schreel.
Engineer — Robert H. Horn.
Chief of Police— J. L. Bascom (died June 26, 1914).
Fire Chief — James Boyer.
The board of control is composed of the mayor, director of
service, director of safety and clerk.
The patrolmen of the police department are John Lvnch,
Ernest Bell and Albert Ibaugh.
The members of the board of health are: J. E. Hunter, M.
D., president; G. E. Morningstar, D. D. S. ; Frank Payne; C. S.
538 DARKE COUNTY
Elliott, veterinary surgeon; T. H. Alonger. Health officer —
S. A. Hawes, M. D. ; clerk, Karl Schmermund.
The members of the city council are: B. F. Scholl, presi-
dent ; Wm. Fouts, Wm. Reed and D. E. Horn, members at
large ; Harry Willson, first ward ; Jacob Menke, second ward ;
Lincoln Metzcar, third ward ; Wm. Kurz, fourth ward.
During recent years the following persons have served as
mayor of the city: A. H. Meeker, R. S. Frizell. Hallec Rupe.
J. L. Bascom, M. F. Myers, E. C. Wright, L. E. Chenoweth,
A. N. Wilson, T. C. !Maher, G. F. Schmermund and E. E.
Calderwood. On account of the accidental death of Mayor
Calderwood, June 24. 1914, Mr. B. F. Scholl, the president of
the council, became acting mayor.
The Greenville Cemetery.
Strange as it may seem, there is a subtle relation between
the manner of life of a people and the manner in which they
inter their dead. The careful em.balming practiced by the
ancient Egyptians, together with the manner of interment
and the artistic character of some of their tombs, indicate that
they were a people holding certain ideas of immortality and
that they had arrived at a degree of civilization beyond any
other people of their era. Likewise the presence of a care-
fully platted, artistically planted and well kept cemetery in a
city or community in these days is taken to indicate a certain
degree of esthetic culture and local pride among the people.
In the rough pioneer days, the remains of the dead were
buried on the private grounds of the family in a little fenced
plot, which too often suffered neglect, and upon the transfer
of land was liable to be plowed up by the new owner, and
thus left to oblivion. In later years it became customary in
the rural districts to bury the bodies of the dead in the little
burial ground surrounding the local church, with the result
that these grounds were sometimes neglected or abandoned
upon the discontinuance of the church. Many of the pioneers
were buried in such places and their place of interment is un-
The earliest burial ground of the pioneers on the site of
Greenville was probably on the southeast corner of ^^^est
Third and Chestnut streets, on lots 544 and 545, now owned
and occupied by Mr. Ed Grubbs. Mrs. McKhann, the oldest
daugliter of Azor Scribner, related that she saw numerous
MeWHINNEY MKMORIAL GATEWAY, GREENVILLE CEMETERY
DARKE COUNTY 539
rough slate headstones here in earl\- days with names reputed
to be those of officers of Wayne's army, scratched thereon.
While grading West Third street and the sidewalk on Chest-
nut street at this point, and while putting a sewer in the
alley in more recent years, numerous remains were disin-
terred. This was an elevated point overlooking the prairie
and lay just outside of the southwestern bastion of old Fort
Greenville. Remains were also found on the bluff of the
creek a few rods east of the Broadway bridge, near the north-
east bastion, and on the site of the Ohio block on Broadway,
on lot 24, near the southeastern bastion of the fort remains
were found with buttons, coins and articles v^'hich seemed to
indicate that they belonged to soldiers of this period. It is
also said that Wayne had a hospital near the southeast corner
of Wayne avenue and Armstrong street on lot 763, and a
burial ground just to the northwest on lot 806. The butts of
pickets were removed when grading Wayne avenue just south
of Armstrong street about 1880, and numerous military
relics found by the workmen.
The earliest known burial plot of the pioneers proper was
on the present site of the Catholic church on lot 32 of the orig-
inal town plot, at the southeast corner of West Third and Elm
streets. It seems that Mrs. Armstrong, "the Mother of Green-
ville," and probably John Devor, who platted the town, and a
few others were buried here. This place seems to have been
used until 1816 when a burying ground was located on the
bluff of Greenville creek on the north side of East Water
street just west of the head of Ash street. Mrs. Samuel Boyd,
the wife of the earliest farmer, was the first person buried here
in 1816. The remains of Abraham Scribner, Linus Bascom,
and many other pioneers of the town were interred here, but
in less than forty vears it v\'as seen that the place was too
small to meet the local needs. Accordingly, in 1853, a "Ceme-
tery Association" was organized under the state law, and
William Collins, George W. Coover and John Tomilsnn were
elected trustees thereof. On November 29, 1853, Dr. Gabriel
Miesse, Sr., deeded to these trustees for cemetery purposes,
part of the northwest quarter of section thirty-four (34"),
township twelve (12), range two (2) east, in Darke county,
Ohio, containing eight acres of land, for $425.00, but reserving
to himself twenty-four lots thereof at two dollars per lot. This
land was immediately laid out into lots about twentv feet
square, with the necessary streets and alleys, making in all
540 DARKE COUNTY
370 lots. For many years no grade for these lots was estab-
lished, and no system laid down to govern the selection, use
and occupancy of them. Each lot owner would fill and grade
his lot to suit his fancy, causing confusion and a lack of uni-
formity in the appearance of the grounds. jMuch trouble and
confusion was occasioned by the failure to keep proper record
of the sale of lots and payments thereon. Lots were pur-
chased by persons living in various parts of the county at
prices ranging from ten to forty dollars, according to size and
location, and the cemetery thus early became a general bury-
ing place for the public.
In 1878, under the revised state law, the city and township
elected three cemetery trustees, to serve one, two and three
years respectively. The first election was held April 1, 1878,
and resulted in the choice of G. W. Moore, J. A. Schmermund
and Jahugh Compton as trustees. The board then elected
J. T. Martz secretary, he having served eight years previously
in that capacity. Seven acres of ground adjoining the original
tract on the north were immediately condemned for cemetery
purposes, and purchased for $1,050.00. Besides this, the trus-
tees purchased an adjoining lot with a commodious brick
dwelling house thereon for $1,900.00. This building was used
as a home for the superintendent until about 1910 when it
was removed across the street. The trustees also purchased
2.09 acres adjoining these grounds for $1,050.00. A strip of
five acres was purchased along the northwest side in May,
1900, of John Somers for $500.00. afTording a place for a nice
driveway and adding materially to the appearance of the
grounds. A well-kept hedge now encloses this side.
This cemetery filled rapidly and it became imperative to
employ a competent person to take cave of the grounds. Ac-
cordingly I. X. Smith, of Waynesville, Ohio, was employed
for one year from April 1, 1884, at fifty dollars per month, as
superintendent, which position he has filled most acceptably
ever since — a period of thirty years. Under his supervision
the lots have been properly graded, streets and drives im-
proved, new additions platted, trees and shrubbery planted
and trimmed so that now the place has the appearance of a
park. In recent years numerous beautiful shafts and monu-
ments have been erected at considerable cost, among the
most notable of which are those of Frank ]\Tc\\niinne\-. (''r.
Pretzinger, A. F. Koop, Daniel Henne, Edward Breaden. W'm.
DARKE COUNTY 541
Turpen, H. K. Schopp, C. M. Anderson, Henry St. Clair and
The trustees deeded to the county commissioners for the
use of the Grand Army of the Republic twenty-four lots,
which have been largely occupied by this time. A wooden
monument was built on the soldier's square which stood sev-
eral years. Finally in 1902, Mr. and Mrs. Frank McWhin-
ney decided to erect a beautiful and substantial granite shait,
in memory of the soldiers of Darke coanty, who had served
in the various wars. The material selected was a dark Barre
granite quarried in Vermont. From this a monument about
twenty-seven feet in height and weighing some sixty tons
was erected, under the supervision of ]\Ianor and Keck. The
base of this memorial is ten feet square and one piece weighs
fifteen tons. The second base is seven feet, eight inches
square ; the third base six feet, five inches square, surmounted
by four fifteen inch columns with carved capitals. Resting on
this is a carved cap six feet square surmounted by a die three
feet, nine inches square, and having the four emblems of the
military service carved thereon, viz. : the coat of arms, the
capstan, the artillery and the wreath and swords. This is sur-
mounted by a cap four feet, nine inches square upon which
stands a seven-foot effigy of a union soldier in full service uni-
form at parade rest. This figure stands an immovable sentry.
faithfully guarding the graves of departed comrades. The
face and eyes of the soldier are fastened on the gateway, as if
guarding with jealous care the coming and going of all.
The total height of the monument is twenty-seven feet. In-
scribed on the four sides of the lower die are the following:
Front side: "Erected and donated A. D. 1903, by Frank
McWhinney and wife in honor and memory of the union sol-
diers of Darke county, Ohio, living or dead, who served in the
war of 1861-1865. Also of all soldiers of Darke county. Ohio,
who served the United States in any of its wars."
"The muffled drum's sad roll has beat
The soldier's last tattoo.
No more on life's parade shall meet
The fallen, brave and true.
On fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread.
And glory guards with silent round
The bivouac of the dead."
542 DARKE COUNTY
North side : "B}' the ser\ices of the Union soldiers, all per-
sons of the United States were made free and every star re-
tained on the nation's flag."
East side: "How sleep the brave who sink to rest b}- all
their country's wishes blest."
This monument cost about seven thousand dollars and was
dedicated on Memorial day (May 30), 1903, with appropriate
ceremonies, General G. Warren Keifer, of Springfield, Ohio,
being the orator of the day. As an appropriate companion
piece, j\Ir. McWhinney had also erected a beautiful gateway
at the Main street entrance of the cemetery, under the super-
vision of Mr. Dennis Dwyer at a cost of some three thousand
dollars. This structure is in the form of a graceful Gothic
arch surmounted by a cross and spanning the roadway, with
a smaller arch surmounted by buttressed towers on either
side over the sidewalks. The main arch is thirty-seven feet
high and sixteen feet wide and the side arches twenty-five feet
high and four feet wide with a thickness of four feet. It is
constructed of Oolitic stone on a base of blue limestone and
makes an impressive approach to the cemetery, .\bout the
time of the dedication of the soldiers' monument a committee
of Jobes Post, G. A. R., waited upon Congressman Harvey C.
Garber with the request that he secure a light cannon to be
mounted on the soldiers' lot. Mr. Garber, after much elifort,
finally secured a list of eleven guns, in ]\Iarch. 1904, from the
War Department at Washington from which the committee
selected a howitzer. This gun was niade by the government
foundry at South Boston, Mass., weighs 1,465 pounds and is
designed to shoot a 24-pound shot. It was mounted in the
foreground of the monument on a neat cut stone pedestal
with attached descriptive tablet, and was dedicated with ap-
propriate services, about June 30, 1904. adding another to the
fitting memorials of the cemetery.
The last and one of the most artistic, substantial and im-
pressive structures erected on the grounds was the mausoleum
containing 468 crypts. This building is built of hand rubbed
Bedford stone on the exterior and is 64 by 106 feet. It has
four family groups and four private tombs. The interior is
finished in white Colorado yule marble and nicely equipped
with electric lights. All the doorways, windows and gratings
are made of the best quailty of bronze. It has five thousand
feet of sanitary piping and eight carloads of material were
used in its construction — it being the third largest Protestant
DARKE COUNTY 543
mausoleum in the state of Ohio. It is largely Egyptian in de-
sign with small porch at the west entrance facing the soldiers'
monument. It was dedicated with appropriate exercises, Rev.
Charles C. McKinney of the Presbyterian church delivering a
masterful dedicatory address, on Sunday, July 13, 1913. At that
time Dr. J. P. Collett, the promoter and builder, who was born
and raised in Darke county, edelivered to the cemetery board a
check for $2,340 to be invested and used as a permanent en-
dowment fund. x^Ir. Charles Alinnich was chau-man of the
Besides these structures a receiving \ ault aud shciter house
have been constructed on the grounds for the convenience oi
the public and njany other useful improvements made. Within
recent years the superintendent has kept a record of burials
and it is estimated that some three thuusand bodies have been
interred to date.
It is now realized that several acres must be purchased ad-
joining the grounds on the west and abutting on the Union