Toronto Public Libraries.

Landmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the online

. (page 23 of 89)
Online LibraryToronto Public LibrariesLandmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the → online text (page 23 of 89)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ISLAND — Showing outbuildings on edge of pond. This club house was
built in 1880, burned in 1904, and the present institution erected a year
later. Water color by J. T. Rolph, Toronto. Size 10 x 13. See 533.

742— LIGHTHOUSE AND THE LAKESIDE HOME FOR LITTLE
CHILDREN, TORONTO ISLAND, 1892— The Lighthouse, erected on Light-
house Point, 1809, is the first and only example of a stone and mortar
structure, that remains intact, of pioneer labor in York. Queenston and
Kingston stone were the materials used. The Lakeside Home for
Little Children, the summer sanitarium of the Hospital for Sick Chil-
dren. Toronto, was founded in 1882, by J. Ross Robertson, and in July of
that year the first detachment of convalescents from the mother hospital
(then on Elizabeth street) was sent over. In 1891 a new up-to-date
home was erected by Mr. Robertson, and on the 5th September formally
transferred to the trustees of the Hospital for Sick Children. Since that
time thousands of Ontario's little ones have been placed on the road to
health by their summer stay at the Lakeside Home. The main building was
destroyed by fire, April 22nd, 1915, and later rebuilt. Water color by J. T.
Rolph, Toronto. Size 9 x 11.

743— REAR VIEW OF THE RIDOUT HOMESTEAD, YORK (TO-
RONTO) — South side of Duchess street, between Ontario and Caroline
(Sherbourne) streets, 1804-58. Mr. Thomas Ridout, who came to this
country about 1788, was in 1810 appointed Surveyor-General of Upper
Canada. Water color copy by E. Wyly Grier, Toronto, from original, by
Gen. A. R. V. Crease, R.E. Size 14 x 18. See 747.

744— EASTWOOD HOUSE, TORONTO— A stone dwelling, built by
John Eastwood, opposite the present (1917) Todmorden Hotel, on the old
Mill road leading to the Don Paper Mills, and now known as Broadview
avenue. After the death of Parshall Terry, in 1808, his grist mills came
into possession of Colin Skinner and John Eastwood, brother-in-law of the
Helliwells, and in 1825, in addition to the grist mills erected by Terry,
Skinner and Eastwood started a paper mill, the only one in Upper Canada,
with the exception of that of Matthew Crooks at Flamboro'. It was
Mr. Eastwood who gave the English name of Todmorden to the village
overlooking the mills. Water color by Owen Staples. Size 12 x 14.

745— "CITY OF TORONTO— From the Northern Railway Elevator."
Lithographed by Alexander Craig, Toronto. The key which accompanies
the picture gives some of the main points in 1873. Lithograph. Size 13,
x 28.

746— TAYLOR PAPER MILL ON DON RIVER, TORONTO— The milf,
primarily a grist mill, built in 1794, is just below Todmorden, on lot 13*
township of East York. It was operated by Mr. Timothy Skinner for some
years, and then Mr. Colin Skinner, who took Mr. John Eastwood into part-
nership; they used the building as a paper mill. It is said that the
first paper in Upper Canada was made in this mill in 1826. The Flamboro'
mill also claimed the prize offered by the Provincial Government, and the
claim was compromised by a division of the money. In 1847 the property
passed into the hands of the Taylor Bros. During their time it was twice
destroyed by fire, and once during the ownership of the present owner,
Mr. Robert Davies. The walls, which were of stone, stood, however, and
a new roof and floors made the building as it was first built. Water color,
by Owen Staples, Toronto. Size 18 x 22.



120

747— RIDOUT HOMESTEAD AND GROUNDS, YORK (TORONTO),
1804-58 — Fronting on the north side of Duke street, a little east of the head
of Princess (Princes street). On the right of the property was the old
Indian burial ground, on the bank of the stream running through the valley
from Moss Park. Water color copy by E. Wyly Grier, Toronto, from
original by Gen. A. R. V. Crease, R.E. Size 13 x 18. See 743.

748— THIRD DON BRIDGE, TORONTO— Erected 1851, and covered in
twenty years later. In 1878 it was swept away, and in October of the same
year an iron bridge constructed, which was partially rebuilt and strength-
ened in 1893. In 1910 this bridge was removed about sixty feet south, and
a new one erected on its site. Water color by R. Baigent. Size 10 x 14.

749— BROWNE, JOHN OLDSWORTH, F.S.A.— Civil Engineer and
Deputy Provincial Surveyor, was born in Norwich, England, 1808, and
came to Toronto in 1849. Was engaged in pioneer railway work in this
country. In 1852 he published a fine map of the township of York, and
did a large amount of survey work in and for the City of Toronto. In 1850
he delivered a lecture on railways in the old Mechanics' Institute, Court
street, exhibiting a complete miniature locomotive made by Parks &
Brothers, iron founders. Mr. Browne was one of the best-known surveyors
in Canada West. He died in Toronto, 7th April, 1881. Photograph, colored.
Size 4x5. Head and shoulders.

750-6— City Clerks of Toronto, 1834-1917.

750— PRICE (HON.) JAMES HERVEY— City Clerk, 1834— In 1828 he
came to Canada from England, first settling in Dundas, U.C., but subse-
quently removing to Toronto, where he entered into a law partnership
with John Roaf. In 1834 he acted as City Clerk, and in 1841 was elected
by the Reformers to represent York in the United Parliament of Canada,
being returned three times. Appointed, 1848, a member of the Executive
Council of the Province of Canada, and also Commissioner of Crown
Lands. Later he returned to England, where he died in 1882, at Shirley,
Southampton. He was born in Wiltshire In 1799. Photograph, colored.
Size 3y 2 x 4. Head and shoulders. See 286.

751— DALY, CHARLES— City Clerk, 1835-64— Born in Ireland in 1808,
and received his education in Belgium and France. For a time he was
engaged in library work at the Athenaeum, London. Came to Canada
early in life. In 1835 he became City Clerk of Toronto, holding that posi-
tion until his death in 1864. Silhouette. Size 3% x 4.

752— CAR R, JOHN— City Clerk, 1865-71. Photograph, colored. Size
3^x4. Head and shoulders. See 378, 591, 3513.

753— RADCLIFFE, STEPHEN— City Clerk, 1871-6— He was born in
the township of Adelaide, Middlesex County, Ont., in 1837, and was the
son of Colonel Hon. Thomas Radcliffe, of the 27th Inniskillen Regi-
ment. Subsequently came to Toronto, and t.aertd the acr/ice of the
Corporation in 1851. In 1871 received the appointment of City Clerk,
which office he held until his death in 1876. Photograph, colored. Size
3% x 4. Head and shoulders.

754— RODDY, ROBERT— City Clerk, 1876-84— Entered the service of
the City of Toronto in 1852, and for two years prior to his appointment as
City Clerk acted as Assistant Clerk. He was born in Toronto in 1837, and
was a son of Charles Roddy, of Clones, Monaghan, Ireland. He died in
the city of his birth in 1885. Photograph, colored. Size 3^x4. Head and
shoulders.



121

755— BLEVINS, JOHN— City Clerk, 1885-1900— The fifth City Clerk
was a barrister, having been called to the bar in 1854. Twenty years later
he was elected to represent St. David's Ward, continuing to do so until
1884. He was born in 1822, and died in Toronto, January 9th, 1900. Photo-
graph, colored. Size SV 2 x 4. Head and shoulders.

756— LITTLEJOHN, WILLIAM A.— City Clerk, 1900-17— The son of
John Wilson Littlejohn, born in Plymouth, North Carolina, U.S.A., his
ancestors having immigrated to Carolina from Inverness, Scotland, in the
eighteenth century. Came to Canada when nine years of age, and for a
time lived at Oil Springs, near Sarnia, removing in 1869 to Toronto. Here
he received his education in the Public schools and at Upper Canada Col-
lege. In 1874 he entered the service of the Corporation of Toronto and has
been connected with it ever since. Photograph, colored. Size Zy 2 x 4.
Head and shoulders.

757-9— Registry Offices, County of York, 1829-1917.

757— REGISTRY OFFICE, COUNTY OF YORK, 1829-50— In 1796 a regis-
try office was established for the Home District — there was no County of
York at the time — and Mr. Thomas Ridout appointed first registrar. Dur-
ing his term of office and that of his immediate successors the records
were kept in private dwellings. Later Samuel Ridout, too, conducted affairs
of the registry office in private houses for a time, but in 1829 built at his
own expense a small brick building at 18 Newgate street, north side, now
(1917) No. 102 Adelaide street east. A law was passed in 1849 that the
registry office should no longer be kept in a private residence, but must be
maintained in a public building, and at the same time the office was estab-
lished as the county registry. The cottage in rear of the Newgate street
building was that of Henry Mulholland, caretaker. Water color by John
W. Cotton. Size 5x6.

758— REGISTRY OFFICE, COUNTY OF YORK, 1850-75— In accord-
ance with the Act of 1849, the county built this one-storey, stone, fireproof
building next and north of the present (1917) office of the Gas Company,
on the east side of Toronto street, just north of Court street. The county
and city registrarships were divided in 1859, when the office of the latter
was removed to the Royal Insurance building, southeast corner Wellington
and Yonge streets. Water color by John W. Cotton. Size 5x6.

759— REGISTRY OFFICE, COUNTY OF YORK, 1875-1917— A brick
building erected at the northeast corner of Richmond and Clare (Berti)
streets. The first registrar in this building was John Ridout, his term of
office extending from 1855-94. His successors have been J. T. Gilmour,
1894-6; James Massie, 1896-1904, and W. J. Hill, 1904 to date. Water color.
Size 5x6.

760— CANADIAN (ROYAL) INSTITUTE, TORONTO— North-west cor-
ner of Richmond and Berti (Clare) streets. In 1849 a number of gentle-
men, chiefly architects, land surveyors and civil engineers, met in the
office of Kivas Tully to consider the advisability of forming an organiza-
tion which would unite the three professions throughout the country. In
1850 a constitution was adopted, Mr. (Sir) Sandford Fleming and Mr. E. R.
Passmore being the leading organizing spirits. From 1864-76 the Cana-
dian Institute so formed met in the building shown in the picture. It was
built in 1850 by George Bilton, and first occupied by Dr. Primrose, who
was followed by Thos. Haworth, hardware merchant. In 1876 it was torn
down and a brick building erected, which was used by the institute until
1905. When the latter removed to its present (1917) home, 198 College
street, in order to make its valuable library more accessible to the Univer-
sity professors and students, the old property was sold to the Sons of
England. On April 2nd, 1914. the institute had its title formally changed
to "Royal Canadian Institute." Water color. Size 4x7.



122

761— "ZION CHAPEL, ADELAIDE ST., TORONTO— Wm., Thomas
architect. Printed in colours by Maclear & CB», King St., Toronto." Zion
Congregational church (second) stood on the north-east corner of Bay and
Adelaide streets, on the same site as the first church, burned in February,
1855; was dedicated 26th September, 1856. It had a spire (its predecessor
having had a tower) which was blown down about two o'clock on the after-
noon of the 12th April, 1865, in a terrific wind storm that swept Toronto.
The spire was not rebuilt, but replaced by the lower portion being made
into a square tower. The last service in the old church was held 3rd
Dec, 1882, and the following March the congregation moved to College
street, near Elizabeth. The Bay street building was used by a lithograph-
ing company, and as a theatre, until 1884. It was then demolished. The
site is now (1917) an office building. Lithograph In color. Size 11 x 15.
See 797, 1146.

762— RESIDENCE OF T. D. HARRIS, TORONTO— When Duke street
was fashionable — In 1832, Mr. J. S. Howard, at that time postmaster of
York (Toronto), built, as a residence for himself, a large three-storey red
brick building on the north side of Duke street, No. 28, just east of George
street. For a time part of the building was used as a post office. Mr.
Howard vacated about 1838, and Mr. M. Davidson Murray lived there until
1845. Later, Mr. T. D. Harris occupied the residence, which was one of
the best equipped of early Toronto homes. Mr. Harris was prominent in
civic matters. He was chief engineer of the fire brigade, 1838-41; carried
on the leading hardware business in Toronto, and from 1870-2, after his
retirement, filled the position of harbor master. His death took place in
January, 1873. The old residence is still standing (1917) as No. 42 Duke
street, a part of De La Salle Institute. Water color. Size 4x5.

763— BARRETT'S HOTEL, NEWTONBROOK, 1790— On the south-east
corner of lot 30, west side of Yonge street, near Thornhill. In the early
part of 1811 Royal Arch Lodge No. 16 and its chapter removed from York
to "Yonge street," selecting as a meeting place the home of Bro. Alfred
Barrett, which was used as a tavern and frequented by farmers on their
way to and from the town. It is not improbable that the anticipated
trouble with the United States had something to do with the removal of
the lodge from York; also a large proportion of the brethren lived on
Yonge street. The old tavern was altered and improved in 1840, and until
1856 the lodge room was in existence. Now (1917) the site is vacant.
Water color by John W. Cotton. Size 4x7. See 764.

764— BARRETT'S HOTEL, NEWTONBROOK, 1790— Interior of the
lodge room of .Royal Arch Lodge, No. 16. The room was in existence as
late as 1856. The benches still remained around the room, as did the
raised platforms at the stations of the Worshipful Master, Senior Warden
and Junior Warden. Water color by John W. Cotton. Size 4x6. See 763.

765— OLD HOUSE ON CROOKSHANK'S FARM, TORONTO— Mr.
Arthur Coffin lived in the cottage for over sixty years. It was built about
1820 on the west side of Crookshank's lane, now Bathurst street, at what
would now be the south-west corner of Bathurst and Herrick streets. The
Hon. George Crookshank (Cruickshank) owned property extending
from Queen street to the north of Davenport road, which remained in his
possession until 1851. Drawing in water color by J. O. Fowler, 1871. Size
6x8.

766— BAIN HOMESTEAD, SHERBOURNE ST., TORONTO— View in
1870 — This pretty roughcast residence was built in 1851 by the late James
Bain, bookseller, who died in 1908. It stood on the east side of Sherbourne
street on a plot of ground between the n.e. and s.e. corners of Sherbourne
street and the present Wilton avenue. Beech street (Wilton avenue) was
extended from Seaton to Sherbourne, according to a plan dated 1857, and
filed in the registry office. The property for this extension had been pur-



123

chased, one parcel from James Bain on 13th Oct., 1855, and the rest from
James Humphrey on 23rd Nov. of the same year. The Bain residence
was moved about 50 feet to the n.e. corner of Beech and Sherbourne, and
was occupied by Mr. Bain until 1900/ when he moved to Kew Beach. In
1878 a by-law was passed changing Crookshank street, which ran from
Yonge to George streets, and Beech street, running east from Sherbourne,
to Wilton avenue. Wilton crescent, which connected Crookshank and
Beech streets, was always known by that name. Mr. Bain sold the re-
mainder ©f his property in 1906. Three years later the house was demol-
ished and an apartment house erected on the site. During Mr. Bain's resi-
dence in the old house the garden at the south side was much admired,
for he was a master florist and an expert in horticulture. Water color.
Size 6x8.

767— NORTH-WEST CORNER YONGE AND COLLEGE STS., TO-
RONTO, 1864 — The old gates and caretaker's lodge — Under the lease in
1859, between the trustees" of the University and the Corporation of To-
ronto, College street and University avenue were protected by gates to
prevent these streets from being used as public thoroughfares. With the
agreement of 2nd March, 1889, however, the gates were removed and the
two main approaches to Queen's Park dedicated to the city as public
streets. Although not stipulated in the agreement, it is understood that
the reserved rights of the University apply on both sides of University
avenue, from Queen to Bloor streets, and on both sides of College street,
from Yonge street to a point a short distance east of Beverley street. In
the foreground of the picture is seen the "street railway track on Yonge
street, constructed in 1861. The rails on College street were put down in
1869. Water color. Size 5x6.

768— HOOPER, EDWARD, 1808-1900— Proprietor of the oldest drug
store in Toronto — Born in London, Eng., came to Canada in 1832, settling
first in Kingston and then in Toronto, where he began his business career
with Mr. Joseph Beckett, druggist, south side King street, just east of
Jordan. When Mr. Beckett retired the firm name was changed to E.
Hooper & Co. Mr. Hooper was on the Board of the Canada Permanent
Society for years, and was one of the first members of the Board of the
Confederation Life, and its vice-president until his death. Photograph,
colored. Size 4x5. Head and shoulders.

769 — HOOPER, MRS. EDWARD— She was a resident of Kingston and
then of Toronto, where in 1836 she married (as Mrs. Binley) Edward
Hooper, of the firm of J. G. Beckett & Co., druggists. Mrs. Hooper died in
Toronto, 1893. Photograph, colored. Size 4x5. Head and shoulders.

770— ST EG MANN, JOHN— Born in Germany, 1754, and came to
America in 1776 with the Hanoverian troops. About 1800 he removed to
York; commenced a survey of the town and township of York. He lost
his life in the wreck of the schooner "Speedy," which went down off
Presqu' Isle in October, 1804. The late John Stegmann, an official in the
Courts of Assize, Toronto, was a grandson. Water color. Size 4x5. Head
and shoulders.

771— GRANGER, FRANCIS HINCKS, 1829-1906— A well-known scenic
artist in Toronto. He was born in Toronto, where for several years he
was scenic artist at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, King street. He made an
excellent water color of the city's water front, 1849-50, which has been
reproduced in oils and presented to the Corporation of Toronto. During
his residence in Niagara, from 1856, Granger did many pictures of the old
town and surrounding district. Unfortunately, however, most of these
were destroyed after his death, which took place at Niagara in 1906.
Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.



124

772— VETERANS OF 1812— On the lawn of Sheriff Wm. Bofcs-
ford Jarvis' house in Rosedale, Oct. 23rd, 1861. The occasion was the
distribution of prizes of the Fifth Militia District Rifle Association, by
Gen. Williams, "Hero of Kars." Reading from left to right, the group con-
sists of: — Col. George Duggan, who at one time conducted a general store,
corner King and George streets. Served in the militia; member of the
first City Council. Died in Toronto, 1863. Rev. George Ryerson, lieutenant
in First Norfolk Regiment. Captured at Detroit under Brock; later joined
Incorporated Militia of U.C. as lieutenant; present at Stoney Creek,
Beaver Dams, Lundy's Lane, and attack on Fort Erie. Also served in
Rebellion of 1837. Died in 1882. Wm. Roe, a Toronto confectioner. Saved
from capture a considerable portion of the public funds on taking of York
by Americans, 1813, being at the time an employe in the Receiver-General's
office. Jacob Snyder. Born in New Brunswick, 1790. With Brock at De-
troit. Prominent in pressing into service teams of horses for conveying
stores, ammunition and troops to Holland Landing and other points where
it was feared Americans might attempt to land. Died 1879. Rev. Jas.
Richardson. Born in Kingston, 1791. Master of warship in attack on
Oswego. Afterwards became a bishop of the M.E. Church. Died 1875.
Joseph Dennis, son of a U.B. Loyalist; owned and commanded a vessel on
Lake Ontario in 1812. At the outbreak of the war his ship was attached
to the Provincial marine, and subsequently captured by the enemy. Dennis
was made a prisoner of war and held for fifteen months. Wm. J. Woodall
came from England in 1807, settled in Kingston in 1825, and later in York.
In Irish Dragoons for a number of years; was at Queenston Heights and
served in Rebellion of 1837. Died in 1862. James Ross. Taken prisoner
at capture of York, 1813. Afterwards settled in York Township. Removed
to Toronto in 1858, and died at Newmarket ten years later. Col. Bridge-
ford, of Richmond Hill, came to Canada as a child. Colonel of the sedent-
ary militia and captain in 3rd Incorporated Militia. Served at Lundy's
Lane, Chippawa, Fort Erie, Detroit and Little York. Took part in Rebel-
lion of 1837, and was made prisoner by Wm. Lyon Mackenzie. George
Ridout was born in 1791; second son of Hon. Thos. Ridout. At Queenston
Heights. Taken prisoner at capitulation of York, 1813. Died at Clinton,
1871. Tempera painting by Owen Staples from small photograph. Size 12 x 24.

773— LAST MEETING OF THE CITY COUNCIL (TORONTO) IN
THE OLD CITY HALL — The former municipal building was on Front
street, opposite the St. Lawrence Market. The last meeting in it was held
on July 10th, 1899— Mayor John Shaw in the chair. With key. Photo-
graph, colored. Size 13 x 20.

774-81 — High Constables and Chief Constables of Toronto, 1834-1917.

774— HI GG INS, WILLIAM— High Constable, 1834— Born in the north
of Ireland, 1794, came to Canada at an early age. He was high constable
of the town of York from about 1825, and of Toronto in 1834. Subsequently
he acted as high constable for the County of York for many years. His
death took place 24th Sept., 1871, at his home, Kingston road, near Toronto.
Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

775— KINGSMILL, GEORGE— High Constable, 1835 and 1837-46— Emi-
grated to Canada about 1830, from his birthplace, Queen's Co., Ireland.
For a number of years he was connected with the old Crown Lands De-
partment of Upper Canada, but subsequently carried on an extensive pro-
vision business, supplying many of the principal sailing vessels and
steamers trading at Toronto. Appointed high constable in 1835, being suc-
ceeded in that office by James Stitt. On the latter's resignation Kingsmill
was again appointed, holding the position from 1837-46. Retired from busi-
ness in 1847. Was born in 1808, and died at Gait, Ont, 1852. Photograph,
colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.



125

776— STITT, JAMES— High Constable, 1836— He was born in Ireland,
1804, emigrated to Canada about 1830, and was engaged for some years in
general business. Subsequent to his retirement as high constable he went
into the cartage business. About 1850 he was appointed locker in her
Majesty's Customs at Toronto, and held office until 1874. He died 23rd
November, 1891, and was buried in the Toronto Necropolis. Later his
remains were removed to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Photograph, colored.
Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

777— ALLEN, GEORGE LITTLETON— High Constable, 1847-52— Born
in Sligo, Ireland, 1811, son of Wm. Allen, for forty years recorder of the
city of Sligo. His mother was Anne Cartwright, daughter of Col. W. Cart-
wright. His father's mother was Anne French, sister of John French, of
Rosscommon, Ireland, grandfather of General Sir John French, com-
mander of the British Forces in France, 1915-16, through whom he was
also related to Edmund Burke, the Irish orator. He arrived in New York,
aged fifteen, and was employed for a time in a wholesale house in Fulton
street. Later came to Toronto. On his retirement as high constable he
became governor of the jail, retaining the position until 1872. His death
took place in 1882. Mr. Allen's son, Thomas, was for some years in the
office of Sir John A. Macdonald in Ottawa. Water color. Size 3x4.
Head and shoulders.

778— SHERWOOD, SAMUEL— Chief Constable, 1852-8— He was a son of
Judge Livius Peters Sherwood, who in 1841 was elected Speaker of the Legis-
lative Council; born in Brockville, U.C., 1819; died in 1867. He married a
daughter of Capt. Hugh Richardson, who in 1850-69 was harbor master of
Toronto. Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

779— PRINCE, CAPT. WM. STRATTON— Chief Constable, 1859-73— He
was a son of John (Col.) Prince, barrister, of Cheltenham, Eng., who emi-
grated with his family to Canada in 1833 and settled on the Park Farm,
near Sandwich. William Stratton Prince joined the army in 1837 and
went to England, where he received a commission in the 71st Regiment of
Light Infantry. He was in the Crimea, invalided home in 1854, returning
to Canada two years later. After his retirement as chief constable he



Online LibraryToronto Public LibrariesLandmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the → online text (page 23 of 89)