Toronto Public Libraries.

Landmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the online

. (page 24 of 89)
Online LibraryToronto Public LibrariesLandmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the → online text (page 24 of 89)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


became warden of the Central prison, Toronto, which position he held
until 1881. He married Charlotte, daughter of Samuel Risley, Govern-
ment inspector of steamboats on the lakes. Capt. Prince died in Toronto,
1881. His father was a member of the Legislature of Upper Canada, and
also of the United Parliament. Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head
and shoulders.

780— DRAPER, MAJOR FRANK C— Chief Constable, 1874-86— He
was educated at Upper Canada College and at Troy, N.Y. He commanded
the Upper Canada College company, attached to the Queen's Own Rifles,
of which he was a member. In 1874 Major Draper, who was a barrister by
profession, succeeded Capt. W. S. Prince as chief constable. During the
term of the former, "Orders and Regulations of the Toronto Police Force"
were published and distributed for the information and guidance of the
members of the force. Owing to ill-health Major Draper resigned. He
was a son of Chief Justice Draper, born at "The Lawn," a quaint old cot-
tage at the n.w. corner Wellington and York streets, Toronto. Died 2nd
July, 1894. Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

781— GRASETT, LT.-COL. HENRY JAMES— Chief Constable, 1886-
1916 — A son of the late Dean Grasett, Toronto; born here, June 18th, 1847,
and educated at Leamington College, England. In 1857 entered H.M.
100th Regiment (Royal Canadians), retiring as lieutenant in 1875. Gazetted
lieutenant-colonel 10th Royal Grenadiers, Toronto, 1880, and commanded
that regiment in the North-west Rebellion of 1885; present at Fish Creek,



126

Batoche, and in operations against Chief Big Bear's band. (Despatches;
medal and clasp). In Fenian Raid, 1866, served with the Queen's Own
Rifles; at Limeridge. (General service medal with one clasp). In 1886
he was appointed chief constable. Toronto, which office he still holds.
Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

782— FIRST RAILWAY SOD TURNED IN CANADA WEST— Inaugura-
tion of Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway, Oct. 15th, 1851, at Toronto.
Water color from an old print. Size 5x7. See 263, 518.

783— BURIAL OF THE DEAD FROM RIDGEWAY— Some of the
Queen's Own in Fenian Raid, 2nd June, 1866 — Corporal Mark Defries, of
No. 3 Company, and Private Christopher Alderson, of No. 7 Company, were
buried in St. James' Cemetery, Toronto, 5th June, 1866. The bodies of
Ensign Malcolm McEachern, No. 5 Company, and Private W. F. Tempest,
No. 9 Company, were, after the service at St. James', sent to the Necro-
polis. Rev. H. J. Grasett, assisted by Rev. Alexander Williams, chaplain
of the forces, officiated. The remains were escorted to the cemetery by
the Provincial Battalion of Volunteers of the 5th Military District. Col.
George T. Denison was in command. Gen. Napier and Lieut.-Col. Durie
were present. The engagement between the Fenians and the Canadians
was sharp and severe while it lasted, until finally the latter were forced
to retire, hotly pursued to the Ridge'way station by the Fenians. In the
years that have elapsed blame for the mistake in command, which for a
time caused confusion in the ranks, has never been placed. Water color
from old print. Size 5x7.

784— McCLAIN, CAPT. WILLIAM— A pioneer of the Great Lakes-
He was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, 1823, and came to Canada in
1827. When quite a lad he shipped as cook on the old schooner "Plough-
boy," Not for long did he stay, however, but went on the "Lord Nelson,"
a "big vessel" for her day. After that he sailed in the "Columbus," of Cleve-
land, and in 1844 launched out for himself in the "Jane Harper," which
he bought from John Harper, Toronto. In 1848, Capt. McClain and Capt.
Archibald Taylor bought the "Clarissa," another of the old-time "topsail
schooners," and carried stone in her from Cleveland for the building of St.
James' church. Toronto. In the mid-fifties, Capt. McClain took up farming
in Essa Township, Simcoe County. Shortly afterwards he was appointed
a magistrate, and in 1857 received a captaincy in the second battalion,
Simcoe Militia, followed by the appointment as major in the ninth Simcoe
Militia. For many years after his retirement Capt. McClain lived in To-
ronto, where he was well known in marine circles. F''s death took place
in winter of 1914. Photograph, colored. Size 4x5. Head and shoulders.

785— HAMILTON, ALEXANDER— First Secretary of the York Pioneer
Society. Born in County Cavan, Ireland, 1802, coming to Canada as an
infant, with his parents. For many years he conducted a flourishing busi-
ness as a decorator in Toronto. In 1832 he was on Newgate (Adelaide)
street, north side, nearly opposite George (Toronto st. was then known as
George, or Upper George). In 1856 his place of business was on Church
street, near the corner of Court, and later on King near George. From
1840-2 he represented St. David's Ward as Councillor. His death took place
in Toronto, 1883. Water color. Size 4x5. Head and shoulders.

786— BIRTHPLACE OF PROF. GOLDWIN SMITH— No. 15 Friar Street,
Reading, England — The building with the entrance was the residence of Dr.
Smith, father of Prof. Goldwin Smith. It is an old-fashioned, plain, red
brick dwelling, partly covered with ivy, on one of the principal streets of
Reading. It is commodious and in excellent condition, and is now (1917)
occupied by the Reading Agency of the Royal Insurance Company of Eng-
land. Mr. Smith resided in Toronto from 1871 until his death in 1910.
Photograph, colofed. Size 5x6.



127

787— UN WIN, CHARLES, O.L.S.— Born at Mansfield, Eng., in 1829.
In 1843 he came to Canada, his uncle, Charles Unwin, being at that time
a clerk in the Toronto Registry Office. Subsequent to his coming to Can-
ada, young Unwin attended Upper Canada College for several years, and
on leaving that institution, went to Weston to learn surveying with Colonel
John Stoughton Dennis. In 1877 he was appointed attorney for the city
to settle disputes between the corporation and property owners, with re-
ference to the boundary between the Marsh, a survey of which he had
made in 1872, and the broken front lots. From 1872-1905 he held the posi-
tion of assessor, and city surveyor, 1905-10. He still (1917) resides
in Toronto. Photograph, colored. Size 4x5. Three-quarter length, sitting.
See 3577.

788— KILLALY, HON. HAMILTON H.— Born in Dublin, Ireland,
January 2nd, 1800, and educated at Trinity College, being a gold medalist
of that institution. In 1829 he came to Canada, where he pursued his call-
ing of civil engineer. First lived in London and St. Catharines, Ont.; came
to Toronto in 1853. From 1841-3 he was a member of the Executive Coun-
cil and represented London, Ont., in the first Parliament of United Canada.
Was President of the Board of Public Works, 1841-6, and Assistant Com-
missioner of Public Works, 1851-8. Engineer Welland Canal and Inspector
of Railways, 1859. His death took place at Picton. Ont., March 28th, 1874.
/Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

789— KILLALY, MRS (MARTHA JANE HANDY)— Born 8th Nov.,
1808, at Bellbrook House, Abbeylix, Queen's County, Ireland. She subse-
quently married Hamilton H. Killaly (afterwards Hon. H. H. Killaly) and
came to Canada with him in 1829. Her death occurred January 9th, 1906.
Photograph, colored. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.

790— ROMAIN, CHARLES EDWARD— Of Italian descent, the son of
Pierre Romain, he was born at Point Levis, Que., in 1820. The family
subsequently removed to Toronto, and young Romain received his educa-
tion at Upper Canada College. For some time he conducted business at
Cooksville, Ont., as general merchant and grain dealer, later returning to
Toronto. He took an active interest in civic affairs, sitting in the Council
as councillor, and from 1854-5 as alderman. The Romain building, now
(1916) 83-93 King street west, was erected by him in 1857. Later, on his
removal to Guelph, he was appointed collector of inland revenue, and after-
wards inspector. His. death occurred in Guelph, Ont., in 1902. Photo-
graph, colored. Size 3% x 4. Head and shoulders.

791— GAMBLE, MRS. JOHN (ISABELLA ELIZABETH CLARKE) —
She was born at Stratford, Conn., 24th Oct., 1767, a daughter of Dr. Joseph
Clarke, who in 1776 joined the British army in New York, and at the close
of the Revolutionary War removed to New Brunswick (then a part of
Acadia). In 1783 Miss Clarke married Dr. John Gamble, who ten years
later went to Niagara as assistant surgeon in the Queen's Rangers, Mrs.
Gamble remaining with her father until 1798. In that year she joined her
husband at York, he having become surgeon of his regiment. When the
Queen's Rangers were disbanded in 1802, Dr. and Mrs. Gamble went to
Kingston. She remained there for some years after her husband's death,
and thewcame to York (Toronto), where she died, 9th March, 1859. Water
color, oval. Size 4x5.

792— CLARKSON, THOMAS, 1798-1872— A pioneer Toronto merchant.
In 1835 he emigrated to Canada from England, where he was born, near
Hull, Yorkshire, and settled in Toronto. Here he married Miss Sara Helli-
well, daughter of Thomas Helliwell, of the Don Mills. Mr. Clarkson was
engaged in the grain trade and shipping and was at one time a partner
of Thomas Brunskill. From 1852-8 he was president of the Toronto
Board of Trade. Mr. E. R. C. Clarkson, of the firm of E. R. C. Clarkson &
Sons, is a son. Photograph, colored. Size 4x6. Head and shoulders.



128

793— JOHN STREET, TORONTO, 1852— From north-west and north-
east corners of Queen street. The water color shows St. George's church,
built 1845, and "The Grange," at the head of John street, residence of W.
H. Boulton, Mayor of Toronto, 1845-6-7 and 1858. Commencing at the lane
on the east or right of picture is the cottage of William Armstrong, C.E.,
a well-known artist. Then north are the residences of James Browne,
Bank of Upper Canada; William Stanton, Commissariat Department; the
third is vacant; then James Nation, Bank of Upper Canada; James Bo veil,
surgeon; Thos. Metcalfe, bailiff. The house on the north-west corner of
Queen and John was Lord Nelson Inn, kept by Jane Dill. Water color by
General A. R. V. Crease, R.E. Size 6 x 11.

794— QUEEN STREET WEST, TORONTO, 1852— St. Patrick's Market
was built in 1836-7 on land granted by D'Arcy Boulton of "The Grange." The
occupants of houses to the west on the north side of Queen street were W.
H. Brayley, grocer; Daniel Bell, tailor; W. H. Smith, druggist; Arthur
Farrall, cabinetmaker; Wm. Siver, shoemaker; Richard Brown (colored),
shoemaker. The buildings on the south-east corner of Queen and John
streets were the stables of Beverley House, the residence of Chief Justice
J. B. Robinson. Water color by General A. R. V. Crease, R.E. Size 6 x 10.

795— JOHN FARR'S BREWERY, YORK (TORONTO), 1819— On the
south side of Queen street west, just west of Bellwoods avenue, in the
valley of the Garrison Creek, which at this point was called Gore Vale
Brook. It was a long, low, dingy-looking building of hewn logs, built about
1817 by John Farr, a widely-respected Englishman, who, after having con-
ducted the business for many years, retired, transferring his interests to
Wallis & Moss. Moss died in 1866, and in his stead John Wallis, who once
represented West Toronto in the Dominion Parliament, took into partner-
ship John Cornell. Wallis' death occurred in 1872, but his partner con-
tinued to conduct the business until his decease in 1879. The building,
which had, some time subsequent to its erection, been rebuilt of brick, was
left vacant and was demolished in 1887-8. The site is now (1917) occupied
by a row of brick stores. To the left of the picture is seen the residence
of Mr. Cornell. The Farr descendants live in Guelph. Water color.
Size 4x7.

796— SOUTH SIDE KING STREET WEST, TORONTO, 1846— Built
1842-3, and in 1843-5 the hotel in the centre of the block, known as tfhe
Waterloo buildings, was occupied by Mr. J. Stone. In 1844 it was called
Macdonald's Hotel. The buildings extended from No. 68 (now No. 77), R.
Score & Son, Limited, to No. 80 (now No. 101), F. W. Lyonde, and the
"stables" were those in rear of the hotel. At the south end of the entrance
at the west under "stables" the Royal Lyceum was erected in 1849. From
68-74 are now (1917) situated the Romain buildings proofed in 1856 by the
late Charles E. Romain. Drawing in water color. Size 4x9.

797— ZION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, 1839-55— North-east corner
Adelaide and Bay streets, Toronto — The first house north of the church
was the residence of Thomas Harding, and the next building, the fire hall,
of No. 6 Provincial Fire Engine Co. (south door), and No. 3^PBritish
America Fire Company (centre door) and station of the hose company
(north door). The church with the square tower, south-east corner Bay
and Richmond streets, was the United Presbyterian church. Drawing in
water color. Size 5x6. See 761, 1146.

798— ST. JAMES' RECTORY, TORONTO, 1825-1903— It was an old-
fashioned red brick house of two storeys, on the south side of Adelaide,
west of Jarvis street, built, it is said, for an hotel. From 1837-82 Rev.
Henry J. Grasett, who became rector of St. James' Church in 1847 and first
Dean of Toronto, 1867, resided here. In the spring of 1903 the building was



129

demolished and the new building completed on the same site in 1904. It is
still the home of the rectors of St. James', the present (1917) occupant
being Rev. Canon Plumptre. Water color. Size 5x7.

799— BANK OF MONTREAL, TORONTO, 1842-5— North-west corner
King and Bay streets. This was originally the Bank of the People, one of
the earliest financial institutions in Upper Canada. About 1840 the Bank
of Montreal purchased the charter of the sister bank, converting the latter
into one of its branches in 1842. After the institution's removal to its
present headquarters, north-east corner of Front and Yonge streets, in
1845, the old building was used as club chambers, and later as law offices.,
It was afterwards known as the Metropolitan Hotel, subsequently being
leased by the Mail Printing Co'y. The building of the Mail and Empire
is on the site. Water color. Size 5x6.

800— STANTON HOUSE, YORK (TORONTO)— Built by Robert Stan-
ton, the son of a British naval officer, and one of the pioneers of Upper
Canada. His residence, which stood on the west side of Peter street at the
head of Hospital (Richmond), wjis a substantial building of the secondary
brick period of York. For many years Mr. Stanton was King's Printer,
with office on King street, now the site of the Canada Life building. He
also edited the U.C. Gazette and U.E. Loyalist, and afterwards became
collector of customs. Up to the time of his death he occupied the Peter
street residence, which then became the home of Mr. Charles Magrath,
barrister, who married his widow. The house is now the site of a factory.
Water color. Size 5x6.

801— HOME OF SAMUEL ROGERS— On the east side of Bay street,
north of the north-east corner of King, next to the Sterling Bank. The old-
time cottage was erected 1840-1 by Samuel Rogers, who resided here until
his death. Rogers was a painter, a tradesman of the old school, and highly
respected by his fellow-citizens. The dwelling was demolished in 1876 to
make way for the Jarvis Building, 99-103 Bay street, which still (1917)
stands. Water color. Size 5x6.

802— FIRST FIRE HALL, YORK (TORONTO), 1831— West side of
Church street, between Court and Adelaide. On the north-west corner of
Court and Church is shown the British America Insurance building. Next
north is the two-storey brick fire hall of the first engine company of York,
instituted in 1826 by Mr. Carfrae, Jr., who was captain for the six
years he remained in the company. To the right of the picture is the old
Scottish Kirk of St. Andrew's, south-west corner of Church and Adelaide.
The buildings to the south have been converted into offices. Water color.
Size 5x7.

803— MERCANTILE ROW IN YORK (TORONTO), 1833— South-west
corner of King and Frederick streets. In the thirties this part of King
east was a busy thoroughfare. William Proudfoot, No. 45 King street east;
Robert McKay, No. 51, and John Sproule, No. 53, did about the best retail
trade in Toronto. The last named was also a Government contractor. On
the floor above the Proudfoot shop was Clarke Gamble's law office. Water
color by F. V. Poole. Size 6 x 10.

804— SCADDING HOMESTEAD— East side of the River Don, near
Gerrard street, Toronto. John Scadding, Sr., came to Canada in 1792 from
Wolford, the estate of Governor Simcoe, in Devonshire, Eng., where prior
to coming to Canada he had been manager. The Scadding farm originally
consisted of a lot extending from the water's edge of the bay to the present
Danforth avenue, and was bounded on the east by the present Broadview
avenue, formerly known as the Mill road, and on the western side by the
River Don. The dwelling shown in the picture was the second erected by



130

Mr. Scadding, the first having been a log house adjacent to the Kingston
road. The lean-to shown at the rear of the house was constructed from
plank and flooring taken from Castle Frank, the Simcoe summer home
en the Don. Water color. Size 4x5.

805— "GOLDEN LION"— King street east, Nos. 33-7, on site now (1917)
occupied by the King Edward Hoter and Victoria street extended. In 1846
Robert Walker, in conjunction with Thomas Hutchinson, founded the dry
goods firm of Walker & Hutchinson. In 1853 the partnership was dissolved
and Hutchinson opened a rival store several doors below, known as the
"Pantechnetheca," the Walker store being known as the "Golden Lion."
About 1859 the firm of Robert Walker & Son was formed. In 1898 the
business was closed. Water color. Size 6x7.

806— HOME OF CHIEF JUSTICE SIR WILLIAM CAMPBELL, YORK
(TORONTO), 1822-34 — A large red brick mansion on Duke street, at the
head of Frederick, erected by Sir William Campbell, after the colonial style
of architecture prevailing in York from about 1807-25. He was a Scots-
man who emigrated to Nova Scotia in 1783, and in 1811 became Chief
Justice of Upper Canada. On his death the house became the property of
Hon. James Gordon,~formerly of Amherstburg, and was his home for many
years. After his death it was occupied by various tenants, and thirty years
later was purchased by John Strathy, who resided there until his death.
It was sold to Mr. John Fensom for elevator factory purposes, and is now
the works of the Capewell Horse Nail Company. Water color. Size 6x7.

807— BLOOR'S BREWERY, YORK (TORONTO)— Established by
Joseph Bloor, 1830, in the ravine north of the first concession line, now
Bloor street, and just east of Yonge street. The brewery was reached by a
roadway running down the ravine from Bloor street at the head of Huntley
street. After being given up by its original occupant, the business was
conducted for a time as Castle Frank Brewery, under the proprietorship of
Mr. John Rose. About 1864 brewing was discontinued there, and the east
end of the building was tenanted by an old Irishman, and after him by
an old negro named Cassidy. It was torn down about 1875. Water color,
by R. Baigent, 1865. Size 9 x 13.

808— KING STREET WEST, TORONTO, 1856— North side, from Yonge
to Bay streets — Showing King street west, from the north-west corner of
Yonge, now (1917) the Grand Trunk Railway offices, to the residence of
the late William Cawthra, now the Sterling Bank, at the north-east corner
of Bay and King. The cottage, No. 11, is site of Star newspaper building.
The Davis (No. 17), and Wilson (No. 19) buildings are site of Manning
Arcade, and the Pagerit building (in which was located the English Chop
House) is present Hotel Teck. The Baker, Hickman and Lasher stores,
immediately west, are the site of the Murray-Kay building and the Canada
Life. The Chop House and Cawthra residence are the only two buildings
extant in 1917. Water color. Size 5 x 25.

809— FANCY DRESS BALL, 19TH APRIL, 1870— With key. The ball,
a brilliant gathering of Toronto's leading citizens, was held in the Music
Hall (later the Public Library building), north-east corner of Church and
Adelaide streets, in aid of the Protestant Orphans' Home. The home, then
on Sullivan street, and now on Dovercourt road, was founded in com-
memoration of Jenny Lind's visit to Toronto in 1851. About two hundred
couples were present at the ball, ninety of whom have been identified. (See
key). Financially the function was most successful. Photograph colored.
Size 14 x 20.

810— NORTH-EAST CORNER YONGE AND RICHMOND STREETS,
TORONTO, 1888 — The view shows the buildings almost to Queen street,
and along the north side of Richmond to Victoria. Those shown on Yonge



131

street, up to the Globe Hotel (now the Tremont House), were erected in
1841, and in 1890 together with property on Richmond, were torn down to
make way for the Confederation Life building. Water color. Size 5 x 10.

811— DR. STOYELL'S HOUSE, YORK (TORONTO)— On the north
side of King street, east of Ontario. Dr. Thomas Stoyell came to York
from the United States, where he had received his degree. He never prac-
tised his profession here, however. For some time an innkeeper in York,
afterwards conducting a brewery at the south-east corner of Sherbourne
and Duchess streets. At an early date he built for himself a frame dwell-
ing on the King street site, but about 1829 had the old building torn down
and on almost the exact site erected a more commodious, two-storey brick
residence. On Dr. Stoyell's death the house was occupied by a Roman
Catholic priest until its purchase by Mr. Thomas Helliwell, who made it
his residence. The Victor Inn, No. 282A King street east, is now
(1917) on the site. Water color by F. V. Poole. Size 4x5.

812— CHARLES ROBERTSON'S STORE— South side of King
street (No. 42), Toronto — Charles Robertson, who was the younger
brother of John Robertson, the Yonge street dry goods merchant, and
uncle of J. Ross Robertson, erected the King street store in 1850, and
there for many years carried on a dry goods business. On his retirement
he removed to Sharon, where he died in 1871. The building was most at-
tractive and was about the first new one from 1840-51, in the block from
Leader lane to Yonge street. It was demolished in 1894, and the site is
now (1917) No. 61, the eastern portion of Catto's dry goods establishment.
Water color. Size 4x6.

813— OLD LAW OFFICE, YORK (TORONTO)— North side of Front
street, west of Sherbourne — This two-storey brick building, with gable
roof, was the office of Hon. (Sir) John Beverley Robinson during his term
of office as Attorney-General of Upper Canada, 1818-28. The blacksmith
shop shown on the right was erected many years later. The site
is now (1917) occupied by Toronto Street Railway buildings. Water color.
Size 5x7.

814— THOMAS MERCER JONES' VILLA, YORK (TORONTO),
1833-93 — North-west corner Front and York streets. The picturesque old
residence was designed by John G. Howard for Mr. Jones, who lived here
for a time. The property afterwards passed into the hands of Captain James
McGill Strachan, son of Bishop Strachan, and was occupied as a residence
by him until about 1860, when it was purchased by John Skae, who in 1887
sold out to David Walker. It is now the site of W. R. Johnson & Co.,
Limited. Water color. Size 5x7.

815— FREELAND'S SOAP FACTORY, 1832-65— Shortly after his ar-
rival in York (Toronto), Peter Freeland erected a factory for the manu-
facture of soap, at the foot of Yonge street on the east side, on
property purchased from Judge Sherwood and Peter McDougall. Owing
to the fact that almost the whole property was land covered with water,
the soap works had to be built on cribs sunk with stone. On the death of
the first owner, in 1861, the business was carried on by Robert Freeland, a
son, until the demolition of the building in 1865 to make room for the
Great Western Railway passenger station, which is now (1917) the Grand
Trunk fruit depot. Water color. Size 5x7.

816— RESIDENCE OF HON. C. A. HAGERMAN, NORTH-EAST COR-
NER OF WELLINGTON AND SIMCOE STREETS, TORONTO— York

'House, the main building to the right of the picture, was built by Hon.
C. A. Hagerman shortly before the Rebellion of 1837, and was used as the
family residence, while the addition was Mr. Hagerman's law office. Mr.



132

Nanton, a rich West Indian, later occupied the mansion until his decease
in 1847, Mr. Hagerman moving into the next house east on Wellington
street, where he died shortly afterwards. York House subsequently came



Online LibraryToronto Public LibrariesLandmarks of Canada. What art has done for Canadian history; a guide to the J. Ross Robertson historical collection in the Public reference library, Toronto, Canada. This catalogue of the → online text (page 24 of 89)