Hope, and at Trinity University. In 1895 he entered the office of Messrs.
Osier & Hammond, becoming a member of the firm four years later, and
of the Stock Exchange in 1901. Water color. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1105— FR EEL AND, EDWARD B.— President Toronto Stock Exchange,
1914 — Born in Toronto, 13th Nov., 1860. He received his education at Upper
Canada College. For some years he was with the Scottish Commercial In-
surance Company and the Federal Bank, later becoming accountant with
John Stark & Co. Since 1893 he has been a partner in the firm. Mr. Free-
land was selected for service in North-west Rebellion, 1885. Water color.
Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1106— TUDHOPE, H. R.— President Toronto Stock Exchange, 1917—
Born at Orillia, Ont., Aug. 3rd, 1877. Three years later removed, with his
parents, to Gravenhurst and was educated in the Public and High schools
there. In 1894 came to Toronto; entered the employ of the Ontario Acci-
dent Insurance Company, remaining there for about two years, and then
joining the staff of A. E. Ames Company; became a partner in 1898. Water
color. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1107— MACE OF THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY— Taken by Ameri-
cans at York, April 27th, 1813 — The mace, removed from the old Parliament
Buildings west of the Don, on site of part of present (1917) gas works, is
preserved in the library of the Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., and is in
much the same condition as at the time of its seizure. The head, or crown,
has been cleaned and the gilding on the shaft is fairly well preserved. From
crown to head of shaft it measures 10^4 inches; from head of shaft to end,
2 feet 11 inches, and from the lower end of the shaft to the turned and
pointed end is §y± inches, bringing the entire length to 4 feet 6^ inches. It
is similar in size to the mace used in the House at Ottawa and destroyed
when the Administrative Buildings were burned in 1916. The Ottawa mace
was, of course, much more elaborate. Water color. Size 6 x 30.
1108— PIONEER GATE HOUSE— A landmark of Parliament street,
1818-1914 — About 1795 a land grant of considerable acreage in York town-
ship, comprising township lot No. 20, ^econd concession, east side of
Yonge and north of Bloor, was made to Captain George Playter. The
pretty cottage at the entrance to the grounds, at the head of Parliament
street, was erected by Captain Playter about 1818, for his gatekeeper. In
1831 Mr. John Cayley, brother of Hon. William Cayley, purchased the pro-
perty, and in 1874 a portion of the land, about 34 acres, was bought by Mr.
M. B. Jackson, Clerk of the Crown at Osgoode Hall. The cottage, a pic-
turesque little building, was for years used as a studio by Mr. Frank
Cayley, an artist, and brother of the owner. It was demolished in 1914.
Water color. Size 10 x 14.
1109— OGDEN, LYNDHURST— Secretary Toronto Stock Exchange,
1881-1914 — Born 12th March, 1847, at Kirby, Douglas, Isle of Man; educated
at the Charterhouse, London, and Trinity College, Cambridge. He lived
in Chili and Peru from 1869 to 1876. In the latter year Mr. Ogden came
to Toronto. He was secretary of the Toronto Club for a time, and in 1881
became secretary of Toronto Stock Exchange, which position he held for
thirty-three years. Died at Toronto, 26th April, 1915. Water color. Size
3x4. Head and shoulders.
1110— MORGAN, PETER— A well-known citizen of Toronto from 1846-
60, and a prominent member of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Church
and Adelaide sts. He was born in Edinburgh in 1807, came to Canada in
1832, and was Cornet in the Queen's Light Dragoons of Montreal, retiring
with the rank of Lieutenant. In 1846 he moved to Toronto, and was, with
James McDonell and John Rose, a Government revenue inspector. Mr.
Morgan's eldest son, Charles, is in the Merchants' Bank of Canada at Mon-
treal. Water color. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1111— "THE LADY ELGIN"— The first locomotive in Ontario as it
appeared in 1881, in the Northern Railway yard at the foot of Brock street.
Toronto. Built in Portland, Me., in 1851-2, for the Ontario, Simcoe and
Huron Railroad Union Company, incorporated in 1849, became the Northern
in 1859, and in 1884 amalgamated with the Hamilton and North-Western
Railway. In 1888 the two latter, with the Northern, were merged into the
Grand Trunk system. This engine was used in the construction of the
railway and occasionally handled passenger trains, and later freight trains.
Finally it was used for shunting purposes, and was broken up in 1881. On
the left, near the fender, is John Harvie, the first passenger conductor on
the road, and, on the right, sitting on the step of the tender, W. H. Adam-
son, secretary to F. W. Cumberland, managfng director of the railway.
Carlos McColl was the driver of the first train, and Joseph Lopez was the
fireman. Water color from photograph. Size 7 x 13.
1112— VISIT OF THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES, THE DUKE AND
DUCHESS OF CORNWALL AND YORK (King George and Queen Mary),
to Canada — Royal party at Government House, Toronto. During their tour
of Canada Their Royal Highnesses spent a few days in Toronto, and while
here were the guests of his Honor Sir Oliver Mowat, the Lieut-Governor,
at old Government House, southwest corner King and Simcoe streets.
Photo taken 11th Oct., 1901. With key. Size 11 x 14.
1113— CAPREOL, FREDERICK CHASE, 1803-86— Second son of
Thomas Capreol, Hertfordshire, Eng. In 1828 he came to Canada to assist
in settling the affairs of the old North-West Fur Company, returning to
England on the conclusion of his business in 1830. Three years later, how-
ever, he returned, settling in York (Toronto), and buying a large tract of
land at the Credit, where he lived for a time. Mr. Capreol. was the pro-
jector and promoter of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway, afterwards
the Northern, and was presented with a handsome service of plate of
seventeen pieces, by the citizens of Toronto, in recognition of his services.
He afterwards received authority from the Legislature to sell his lands
at the Credit by lottery, and, with the money obtained, to erect a large
cotton factory. This idea was abandoned, however, and Mr. Capreol turned
his attention to the construction of a canal between Lakes Huron and
Ontario. Ground was broken for the canal, Sept. 17th, 1866, but the
project was never carried to completion. Mr. Capreol died in Toronto.
Water color. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1114— McMASTER, CAPTAIN WILLIAM FENTON— Born at Omagh,
County Tyrone, Ireland, Sept. 1st, 1822. Came to Canada about 1838. Was
employed in the wholesale dry goods business of his uncle (Hon.) Wm.
McMaster, and subsequently a partner, with his brother, in the firm of
A. R. McMaster & Bro., successors to the old business of Wm. McMaster.
In 1886 entered the civil service, where he remained until his death in Janu-
ary, 1907. President of the Board of Trade, 1876. He was in 1866 Captain of
the Naval Brigade. Water color from portrait in possession of his
daughter, Mrs. Hertzberg, Toronto. Size 3x4. Head and shoulders.
1115 — "THE TORONTO" — The second locomotive in Ontario and the
first passenger engine of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railroad Union
Company. Built by James Good, Toronto, in 1852-3. It hauled the first
passenger train from the shed station, south side of Front street, a few
hundred feet east of the Queen's Hotel, 16th May, 1853, with the late Wil-
liam Huckett, master mechanic of the company, as engineer for the trip,
and John Harvie as conductor. The first trip was to Machell's Corners,
now Aurora, Ont. The picture, which was made in the railway yards, foot
of Brock street, west of the bridge, shows: 1, W. H. Adamson, secretary
to F. W. Cumberland, managing director. 2, John Broughton, machinist.
3, Joseph Benson, caretaker of the yards. 4, Daniel Sheehy, an engineer.
5, James Armitage, foreman mechanical department. 6, Joshua Metzler, in
cab window. 7, James Phillips, standing on tender. 8, John Harvie. 9,
Charles Storey, conductor. 10, Thomas Peters, who ran the stationary en-
gine in the machine shop. Water color from photograph. Size 7 x 13.
1116— ARMSTRONG, WILLIAM, C.E., 1821-1 9 14^-Tinted photograph
made in 1863. Presented to J. Ross Robertson by S. H. Fleming, Ottawa.
Size 3x4." See 649.
1117— BURNING OF THE ROSSI N HOUSE, TORONTO— A well-known
hostelry — Erected in 1856-7 on the south-east corner of King and York
streets by Messrs. Marcus and Samuel Rossin; William Kaufmann, archi-
tect, and A. C. Joslin, lessee. The principal entrance faced on York street.
In November, 1862, the hotel was burned and rebuilt the following year.
The buildings to the south, on the east side of York, (1) the Club Cham-
bers, kept by Henry Beverley, and (2) the Toronto Club, were saved. The
Rossin is now (1917) the Prince George Hotel. Water color from old
print. Size 5x6.
1118— THE "GREAT EASTERN" IN CANADA, 1861— An excursion to
Quebec — When the "Great Eastern" steamship was at Quebec in the sum-
mer of 1861, excursions by rail and water were held from all parts of Can-
ada to the ancient city. The late Capt. Charles Perry, of Toronto, was in
command of the "Bowmanville," which carried an excursion party of some
hundreds to Quebec. At the conclusion of the trip the passengers presented
the captain with a handsome solid silver cup and salver, inscribed as
follows: "Presented to Captn. Chas. Perry, of the steamer 'Bowmanville'
by the passengers on the excursion trip to visit the 'Great Eastern.' as a
token of acknowledgment for his kindness and attention, July, 1861." This
once-famed steamship was launched in 1858. She was 679 feet long, 83
feet broad, 48 feet depe and 18,915 tons. Commercially she was never a
success and underwent sales periodically, the last time being purchased by
a firm of ship breakers and broken up at New Ferry, on the banks of the
Mersey, in 1890. Photograph, colored, of the testimonials, which are in
possession of Capt. Perry's daughter, Mrs. John A. Murray, of Toronto.
1119— HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, TORONTO— Interior view, 1913—
The "Church of the Holy Trinity," situated in the court formerly known
as "The Fields," now called Trinity Square, was built in 1846, and opened
and consecrated by the Right Rev. John Strachan, Bishop of Toronto. 27th
Oct., 1847. The view shows the nave and chancel. At the north-west cor-
ner of the latter is seen the organ, and above the altar a large, variegated
stained glass window, representing the four evangelists and four major
prophets. The ceiling is buttressed directly from the walls, so that no
pillars obstruct the view. Photograph, colored. Size 8 x 10.
1120— PRINCE OF WALES' LEINSTER REGIMENT— Formed 1st
July,, 1881, from the 100th or Prince of Wales' Royal Canadians, and the
109th, originally the Hon. East India Company's 3rd Bombay European In-
fantry, the former becoming the first battalion and the latter the second.
Major-General Sir Alexander Hamilton Gordon, K.C.B., was colonel-in-chief
of the new regiment in 1881, and Lieut.-Col. Richard Doyle commanded it.
Original lithograph in color by R. Simpkin. Published by George Ber-
ridge & Co., 179 and 180 Upper Thames st, London, E.C., Eng. Size 9 x 10.
• 1121— NICKINSON, JOHN— In "The Old Guard"— Mr. Nickinson was
the pioneer in theatrical management in Toronto, and was the manager of
the Royal Lyceum, Toronto, from 1853-8. He was an actor of high reputa-
tion. The picture shows him as "Havresack" in the play of "The Old
Guard." Mr. Nickinson acted the part in 1848-52 in the Olympic Theatre,
New York, and at various times between 1853-8, when manager of the
Lyceum, Toronto. Miss Charlotte Nickinson (Mrs. Daniel Morrison), his
eldest daughter, an accomplished actress, acted the part of "Melanie" in
the piece. Mr. Nickinson's death took place in Cincinnati, Ohio, 1864. "The
Old Guard" was produced at the Princess', London, in 1844, and was first
performed in America at the Chatham Theatre, 1845. Water color by John
Fraser, presented to J. Ross Robertson by Mr. Nickinson's granddaughter,
Mrs- Raynald Gamble, Toronto. Size 11 x 14. Full length, sitting. See 585.
1122— SECTION OF THE NORTH SIDE OF KING ST. EAST, TO-
RONTO, 1846 — From one door east of n.e. corner of Yonge and King to
the east side of the grounds of St. James' church at the north-east corner of
King and Church. With key. Water color from a drawing made originally for
Mr. F. C. Capreol, and which appeared in the "Illustrated London News" in
1847. Size 11 x 18.
1123— "PINEHURST," GRANGE ROAD, TORONTO— Mrs. Forster's
School, a popular ladies' seminary, 1853-66 — Situated on Grange road, just
east of "The Grange," stood for many years a commodious building known
as "Pinehurst." It was originally the residence of Mr. Clarke Gamble, who
built it in 1840. In 1850 he rented it to M. and Mme. Des Landes as a
ladies' school. Three years later they were succeeded by Mrs. Forster, an
accomplished schoolmistress and charming woman. She had been the wife
of an English army officer. From 1853-66 the school continued as a
fashionable seminary, the daughters of many prominent Canadians having
been educated there. On the retirement of Mrs. Forster in 1866, the
Bishop Strachan School for Girls occupied "Pinehurst," for a year. The
building was pulled down in the eighties to make way for the extension of
McCaul street to College street. The picture, with key, shows a number of
the pupils with Mrs. Forster and some of the teachers, in the summer of
1S64. Photograph, colored. Size 9 x 12. See 1125.
1124— FORSTER, MRS. AUGUSTA A.— Mistress of "Pinehurst," Grange
road, Toronto — In 1853 Mrs. Forster, widow of an English army officer and
a cousin of Rev. Thomas Smith Kennedy, at one time secretary of the
Toronto Church Society, succeeded M. and Mme. Des Landes at "Pine-
hurst," The seminary continued until 1866 under Mrs. Forster, an accom-
plished schoolmistress and charming woman, well liked and respected by
her pupils. In that year, owing to ill-health, she was compelled to give up
her duties, and on May 20th, 1886, died in Toronto. The picture shows
Mrs. Forster in 1863. Photograph, colored. Size 4x7. Half length. See 1139.
1125— "PINEHURST," GRANGE ROAD, TORONTO— Mrs. Forster's
school, a popular ladies' seminary, 1853-66. Photograph, colored. Size
9x12. See 1123.
1126— SIDE-LAUNCH OF S. S. "CORONA," TORONTO, 23RD MAY,
1896 — With key. Designed by A. Angstrom and built by Bertram Engine
Works Co. for the Niagara Navigation Company, Toronto, to replace the
"Cibola," which had been burned at Lewiston Dock, N.Y., 15th July, 1895.
The "Corona" is still (1917) in commission. Wash drawing. Size 12 x 30.
1127— 100TH REGIMENT— "Her Majesty's 100th Regiment (Prince of
W T ales' Royal Canadian). W. Sharpe, del. et lith. M. and N. Hanhart, lith.
impt. London: Publish'd June 1st, 1859, by E. Gambart & Co., 25 Berners
St., Oxford St., and 8 Rue de Bruxelles, Paris." — With key, indicating the
various uniforms. Raised during the Indian Mutiny by a number of offi-
cers of the Canadian volunteers for service in India. Baron de Rottenburg,
son of Gen. de Rottenburg, Administrator of Upper Canada, and Alexander
Roberts Dunn, of Toronto, son of Receiver-General Dunn, were appointed
lieutenant-colonel and major, respectively. Recruiting began in April,
1858, and at the end of May the regiment was quartered in the citadel of
Quebec, preparatory to embarkation for England. While they were sta-
tioned at Shorncliffe, Eng., the Mutiny ended and the Royal Canadians were
ordered to Gibraltar. As the 100th (Prince Regent's County of Dublin) the
regiment had done good work on the Niagara frontier, 1812-14, and in
commemoration of this, H.R.H. presented them, before leaving Shorncliffe,
with colors inscribed "Niagara." With the 109th, which originally was the
Hon. East India Company's 3rd Bombay European Infantry, the 100th
Prince of Wales' Royal Canadians became the Royal Leinster Regiment,
1st July, 1881. The 100th composed the first battalion and the second
battalion was made up of the 109th Foot. Chromo lithograpn. Size 11 x 18.
1128— MUSKOKA CLUB, 1866— With key— In 1860 three young Toronto
men in Orillia, having heard of Muskoka, resolved to investigate, going as
far as Muskoka Bay. The following summer a party of six set out to
explore the new land, and for a time camped on the present (1916) site of
Port Sandfield. For several years an island at the head of Lake Joseph
was the camping spot. In time a group of islands was purchased by five
of those who had visited Muskoka Lakes, viz., Prof. Geo. Paxton Young,
William H. Howland, Montgomery Cumning, John Campbell, and James
Bain. The largest island was called Yohocucabah, from the first two letters
of the surnames, the "h" being added to give an Indian pronunciation.
Proving rather cumbersome, the name soon became shortened to Yoho.
Subsequently the islands were purchased by Prof. Campbell, whose
hospitality was unbounded and is remembered by many who had the
privilege of being his guests. Two of the five islands were afterwards sold
by Prof. Campbell to W. B. McMurrich. Photograph, colored- Size 6x6.
1129— NEW REGISTRY OFFICE, TORONTO— Corner Albert and
Elizabeth streets — The corner-stone was laid April 14th, 1935, by his Wor-
ship Mayor Thos. L. Church, who, when he had performed the ceremony
and given an address, called upon Mr. J. Ross Robertson to say a few words
about the history of the city and county registry offices. The gentlemen
shown in the front row are: 1, W. H. Bennett; 2, The Mayor; 3, John
T. Scott; 4, J. Ross Robertson; 5, Alderman John Dunn Photograph,
colored. Size 5x7.
1130— TORONTO FROM THE ISLAND— This view was made in the
summer of 1880, near Hanlan's Point, in early days known as Gibraltar
Point. The bay, especially near the Island, presents a gala appearance
with sailing and rowing craft. To the left of picture, in background, is
seen the Northern elevators at foot of Brock street (Spadina avenue).
Towards the centre and also to the right are the tower of the old Union
Station, the spires of the Metropolitan Church, St. Michael's Cathedral and
St. James' Church. Water color from original drawing by Schell and
Hogan, for "Picturesque Canada." Size 5x7.
1131 — TORONTO, 1834 — With key — The picture was made from two
original sketches, one of which gave the city east as far as Parliament
street, the other showing the waterfront west of Parliament. It is the
first picture of Toronto which gives the Worts and Gooderham windmill.
For a more detailed key and comprehensive description, see Robertson's
Landmarks of Toronto, Vol. V., pp. 583-5. Water color. Size 12 x 30.
1132— A SECTION OF THE SOUTH SIDE OF KING ST. EAST, TO-
RONTO, 1846— From No. 38, just east of the King Edward Hotel, to No.
104. south-west corner of King and West Market streets. With key. Water
color from a drawing made originally for Mr. F. C. Capreol, and which
appeared in the "Illustrated London News" in 1847. Size 10x18.
1133— QUEEN'S OWN REGIMENTAL MACE OR BATON— Presented
on 25th May, 1863, by the ladies of. Toronto — It is fifty-eight inches long,
with a massive silver circular head, which joins the staff eight inches below
the head. The staff is of Canadian oak. The head is topped with a Vic-
torian crown, and on the plate which surrounds the crown are the words
"Presented to the 2nd Battalion Vol. Mil. of Canada, the Queen's Own
Rifles of Toronto, by the ladies, the friends and relatives of the officers of
the corps, in testimony of their warm interest in the welfare of the bat-
talion, 24th May, 1863." Just above where the staff joins the headpiece on
one side of the plate, is an oval shield with the worlds, "Queen's Own
Rifles" around a figure "2" denoting the official number of the corps, and
on the other side a maple leaf in silver and the initials "V.R." spread
thereon. Two bands of silver encircle the staff, one a few inches below
the head, and another about midway. From the centre band to within 14
inches of the staff is twined with silver cord, and the fourteen inches has
a covering of brass which reaches down to the end of the ferule. The
mace is now (1917) in the Queen's Own Armory, Toronto. Water color
from old drawing. Size 3x6. See 1134.
1134— SCENE AT PRESENTATION OF MACE TO QUEEN'S OWN
RIFLES, TORONTO— On the morning of 25th May, 1863, the Queen's birth-
day falling on Sunday, the Queen's Own paraded on the lawn on the west,
or Victoria street side of the Normal School building, St. James' Square,
when Mrs. Draper, wife of Hon. Wm. H. Draper, Chief Justice of the Court
of Common Pleas, in presence of a large concourse of citizens, presented
the battalion with a handsome silver mace for the use of the band. On
behalf of the battalion, Lieut.-Col. Durie, who was the first officer in com-
mand of the Rifles, gracefully accepted the mace, which is fittingly in-
scribed. Water color from old drawing. Size 5x6. See 1133.
1135— YORK PIONEERS' SOCIETY, 1880— Richard H. Oates was the
founder of the society, the oldest of its kind in Canada, and in 1868 fre-
quent meetings were held at his home in Isabella street, and also in the
office of Alexander Hamilton, King street, to discuss the formation of a
York Pioneers' Society. The first meeting was held, 17th April, 1869, in
the Mechanics' Institute, later the Toronto Public Library, corner Church
and Adelaide streets, Toronto, with Col. R. L. Denison, president; R. W.
Phipps, treasurer, and Alexander Hamilton, secretary. In 1891 the society
was incorporated under the name of "York Pioneer and Historical Society."
From 1870 until 1905 meetings were held in the Canadian Institute build-
ing, Richmond street, but the institute, having sold this property, and
bought 198 College street, the Pioneers also moved, and on 5th Dec, 1905,
held their first meeting in the new quarters. Photo, with key. Size 12 x 20.
See 99, 1141, 1145.
1136— CHAMPION, THOMAS, 1809-54— First rector's warden, Holy
Trinity Church, Toronto — He was born in Sheffield, Eng., and came to
Toronto in 1836, where he established the hardware firm of Champion
Bros., north-east corner Yonge and Adelaide streets. "Champions' Axes"
were noted. In 1843 Mr. Champion retired from business, and the following
year became assistant secretary of the Church Society. Edited the
"Church" newspaper, 1845-52. He was also connected with the Toronto
Leader and Patriot. The late Thomas E. Champion, Toronto, was a son.
Photograph from painting. Size 4x6. Head and shoulders.
1137— HARRIS, MRS. JAMES (FIDELIA KETCHUM), 1808-74— She
was the second daughter of Jesse Ketchum, so well known as "The Chil-
dren's Friend"; married Rev. James Harris, first pastor of Knox church,
York (Toronto), and for several years lived at the Manse on Bay street.
After the retirement of Mr. Harris, in 1844, they resided at Eglinton, Ont,
the birthplace of Mrs. Harris. Water color. Size 3x3. Head and shoulders.
1138— ST. ANDREW'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, YORK AND TO-
RONTO — South-west corner Church and Adelaide streets — It was the
second Presbyterian church in York, the first congregation of the denom-
ination, Knox, having been formed in 1820. although not receiving the name
of Knox until 1844, when some members of St. Andrew's united with it. In
1830-1 St. Andrew's was built. The tower and spire were added in 1850,
and the church demolished in 1877. This church was the predecessor of
St. Andrew's, corner King and Simcoe streets, and St. Andrew's, corner
Carlton and Jarvis streets, two congregations having been formed out of
the original one about 1875. St. Andrew's was the first Presbyterian,
church to introduce instrumental music in its service, not only in Toronto*
but in Canada. In 1852 the band of the 71st Highland Light Infantry fur-,
nished music at the morning service, and the following year a choir was
formed and a melodeon purchased. This drawing in water color by J. G.
Howard, architect, was made in 1840, ten years before the addition of tower
and spire. Size 10 x 14.
1139— FORSTER, MRS. AUGUSTA A.— Mistress of "Pinehurst,"
Grange road, Toronto. Photograph, colored. Size 4x5. Head and shoul-
ders. See 1124.
1140 — WALKER, ROBERT, 1809-85 — A prominent dry goods merchant
in Toronto — He was born in Carlisle, Eng.; came to York (Toronto) in
1828. Entered business as manager and then as partner with Thomas
Lawson, a well-known clothier, on the south side of King street east.