Fabrique street, at the extreme left. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved
by F. W. Topham. Size 5x7.
1791â€” PORTAGE DES CHATS, 1839-41â€” The portage is from the west
end of Lake Des Chenes, and avoids the Falls of Les Chats, on the Ottawa
River, at Fitzroy Harbor, Carleton County, Ont. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett.
Engraved by E. Benjamin. ~3Tze 5x7.
1792â€” PRESCOTT GATE, QUEBEC, 1839-41â€” At the head of Mountain
Hill â€” Erected by Governor Prescott in 1797. The building on the right
was the Roman Catholic Bishop's Palace. On its site was built the Old
Parliament House. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. Tingle.
Size 5x7. See 2068.
1793â€” QUEBECâ€” From the Citadel, 1839â€” In the foreground is shown
the King's Bastion, and the deep moat of masonry just outside the walls of
the Citadel. Then come the Glacis, or grassy inclines sloping down to the
Upper Town, and especially to the houses on the Cape. The Governor's
residence, or Chateau St. Louis, is distinguished by the flag flying from it,
and near by is the Bishop's Palace. Through the trees in the Governor's
garden one gets a glimpse of the obelisk of the Wolfe and Montcalm monu-
ment, and to the extreme left of the picture are shown portions of the
Roman Catholic Cathedral and Seminary buildings. In the background are
the Laurentians, running behind Beauport and St. Anne de Beaupre. The
straggling village of Beauport on the foothills to the left is plainly dis-
cernible, as are the Isle of Orleans, beyond the line of ships in the dis-
tance, and the point of St. Joseph de Levis on the other side of the ship
channel. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1794â€” BRIDGE AT BYTOWN (OTTAWA), U.C.â€” The first bridge
built across the Ottawa River, at the foot of the Chaudiere Falls, and be-
tween Ottawa and Hull, near Eddy's and Booth's mills. It was built in
1827, but was carried away in a gale the following summer, and then re-
built. Bytown became Ottawa in 1854. The drawing was made a few
weeks before the bridge fell down. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett.
Engraved by J. Smith. Size 5x7. See 1400.
1795â€” TIMBER DEPOT NEAR QUEBEC, 1839-41â€” The timber depot
shown here is in the neighborhood of Wolfe's Cove. On the left of the
picture are seen the Heights of Quebec, with the Citadel in the distance,
and on the right are the far-off Heights of Levis, with a portion of the
village. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by H. Adlard. Size 5x7.
1796â€” DAVIS' CLEARING, EASTERN TOWNSHIPS, QUE., 1839-41â€”
A picturesque spot, showing part of Lake Memphremagog in the distance.
Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1797â€” NORTH SHORE OF THE ST. LAWRENCE, 1839-41â€” View at
Longue Pointe, Hochelaga County, Que., six miles east of Montreal. On
the right is shown the Roman Catholic church, and Montreal and Mount
Royal appear in the background. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1798â€” BROCKVILLE, U.C., 1839-41â€” At the foot of the Lake of the
Thousand Islands, an expansion of the River St. Lawrence. St. Peter's
Anglican Church, built in 1818, is seen on the right. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1799â€” FIT2ROY HARBOR, 1839-41â€” View from the Shirreff residence.
Fitzroy Harbor is a village in Carleton County, Ont., ^situated on the Parry
Sound River. Mr. Robert Shirreff, the owner of the pioneer abode of the
picture, was an old army officer, lumberman and miller. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by J. T. Willmore. Size 5x7.
1800â€” MILLS AT SHERBROOKE, QUE., 1839-41â€” The town of Sher-
brooke is prettily situated at the confluence of the St. Francis and Magog
Rivers, in the Eastern Townships, and is a thriving manufacturing town,
within whose precincts are to be seen the picturesque rapids of the Magog.
The Eastern Townships were originally settled by United Empire Loyal-
ists, and from the English portion of Quebec Province. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by J. C. Armytage. Size 5x7.
1801â€” FALLS OF THE OTTAWA AT LES CHATS, 1839-41â€” Thirty
miles from Ottawa, and at the east end of the Lake of the Chats, along-
side of the village of Fitzroy Harbor. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved
by P. W. Topham. Size 5x7. See 1771, 1892.
1802â€” WOLFE'S COVE, QUEBECâ€” From near the spot at which the
ascent of the cliff was made by the advance guard of Wolfe's army in 1759.
It looks towards the west, and the point at the farther corner of the bay
is the property of Spencer Wood, the picturesque residence of the
Lieutenant-Governor of the Province of Quebec. Drawn, by W. H. Bartlett.
Engraved by J. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1803â€” PARISH CHURCH OF NOTRE DAME, MONTREAL, 1839-41â€”
View facing Notre Dame street â€” On the right is seen the Seminary of St.
Sulpice. The church is built in perpendicular Gothic style. Drawn by
W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. Carter. Size 5x7. See 1764.
1804â€” RIDEAU CANAL, BYTOWN (OTTAWA), 1839-41â€” View look-
ing north to the Ottawa River and showing the outlet of the Rideau Canal,
as seen from a higher level. When the War of 1812 came to a close the
British Government thought it unwise to leave Upper Canada connected
with Montreal and Quebec by a frontier route along the St. Lawrence only,
and so in 1826 Colonel By, of the Royal Engineers, began the work of con-
structing the Rideau Canal, which connects the fortified harbor of
Kingston with the Ottawa River, below the Chaudiere Falls. Near Mont-
real the Ottawa, in turn, flows into the St. Lawrence. This canal system
is partially formed by the Cataraqui River, which flows from Lake Rideau
to Kingston. On the right of the picture is seen Nepean Point, while
Parliament Hill is on the left. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
R. Sands. Size 5x7.
1805â€” BRIDGE AT SHERBROOKE, QUE., 1839-41â€” This bridge, which
crosses the River Magog at Sherbrooke, has since been replaced by a
modern structure. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by C. Cousen.
1806â€” TIMBER SLIDE AND BRIDGE ON OTTAWA RIVERâ€” Beside
the south section of the old bridge, near J. R. Booth's mills, Bridge street,
Ottawa. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. Sands. Size 5x7.
1807â€” CITADEL OF KINGSTONâ€” Kingston, Frontenac County, is
situated at the outlet of Lake Ontario into the St. Lawrence River. This
view is from Barriefield, and shows Fort Henry on Point Frederick to the
left, and also the Cataraqui bridge. The buildings in the centre are on
the site of the present (1917) Royal Military College. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by H. Griffiths. Size 5x7.
1808 â€” GEORGEVILLE, QUE., 1839-41 â€” A village in Stanstead County,
two miles from Knowlton and ten miles east of Lake Mempnremagog. It
is noted for its beautiful scenery. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
H. Adlard. Size 5x7.
1809 â€” QUEBEC â€” View from the Heights of Levis, west of the Grand
Trunk terminals, facing that part of the Plains of Abraham known as the
Cove Fields, just beyond the western limits of the Citadel. Both points of
Cape Diamond, on which the Citadel is built, are shown. Portions of both
the Upper and Lower Town are seen, but other parts are obscured by the
eastern promontory of Cape Diamond. The long row of houses stretching
out on the rising land above the river from the city towards the extreme
right (facing the picture) is the village of Beauport. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by J. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1810â€” COPP'S FERRY â€” Near Georgeville, Stanstead County, Quebec,
1839-41 â€” The ferry ran from the east side of Lake Memphremagog to
various points along the lake. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
J. C. Armytage. Size 5x7.
1811â€” BANKS OF THE NIAGARA RIVER, 1839-41â€” A view of the
river below the Falls, a short distance above the Whirlpool. Drawn by
W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Brandard. Size 5x7.
1812 â€” CEDAR RAPIDS, 1839-41 â€” The rapids are almost opposite the
village of Cedars, Soulanges County, Que., and their descent is considered
a very exciting experience. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. C.
Bentley. Size 5x7.
1813â€” PRESCOTT, U.C., 1839-41â€” From Ogdensburg Harborâ€” The
town of Prescott, Grenville County, is situated at the mouth of the
Oswegatchie, or Blackwater River, opposite Ogdensburg, N.Y. Drawn by
W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. C. Bentley. Size 5x7.
1814â€” QUEBEC, 1839-41â€” View from the vicinity of the present (1917)
ferry wharf adjoining the Intercolonial Railway station at Levis. Immedi-
ately opposite the group of people on the wharf, who are apparently waiting
to cross the river, is seen on the north or Quebec side the line of houses
bordering the ascent of Mountain Hill to the Upper Town. Cape Diamond,
surmounted by the Citadel, is shown toward the left (facing the picture).
Behind the largest ship and between two of its masts, the Wolfe and
Montcalm monument on the Heights of Quebec may be seen. On the east
(right of the picture) the castle of St. Louis is visible behind the mizzen-
mast of the big ship, and then in order, the spires of the English and
French cathedrals, the Bishop's Palace and the Seminary. Drawn by W.
H. Bartlett. Engraved by H. Griffiths. Size 5x7.
1815â€” MARCH TOWNSHIP, ONT.â€” A view of March Township,
on what is now called Lake Des Chenes. It is opposite Aylmer, and near
the site of the ranges of the Dominion Rifle Association. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by F. W. Topham. Size 5x7.
1816â€” MONTGOMERY COVE, 1839-41â€” Near Quebecâ€” Showing Mont-
morency Falls. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by E. Benjamin.
1817â€” INDIAN ENCAMPMENTâ€” In the forest near Georgeville, Stan-
stead County, Que., in the summer time. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. En-
graved by J. C. Bentley. Size 5x7.
1818â€” CANOE BUILDING AT PAPPER'S ISLAND, 1839-41â€” Indians
constructing their craft at what is now one of the Chaudiere Islands, near
Ottawa. The redskins built canoes for the people of the lake and river
district as well as for their own use. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved
by H. Griffiths. Size 5x7.
1819â€” MONUMENT TO MEMORY OF WOLFE AND MONTCALM, IN
GOVERNOR'S GARDEN, QUEBECâ€” The old Presbyterian Church at
Levis is shown immediately across the river from the monument, and the
Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph de Levis is seen in the distance, near
the "point of land where the south channel of the St. Lawrence separates
the south shore from the Isle of Orleans, near the extreme left of the pic-
ture. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1820â€” PICTURESQUE VIEW OF CHAUDIERE FALLS, NEAR BY-
TOWN (OTTAWA)â€” Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by F. W.
Topham. Size 5x7.
1821â€” VILLAGE AND FALLS OF LORETTEâ€” The falls seen
in this picture are those of the St. Charles River in the heart of the
village, which, after a drop of over eighty feet, have cut a passage for a
considerable distance through a tortuous and picturesque chasm. The
small church shown across the river is the Huron Chapel, the Church of
the Annunciation. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by W. Mossman.
Size 5x7. See 2047, 2055.
1822â€” CEDARS VILLAGEâ€” On the banks of the St. Lawrence, in
Soulanges County, Que., twenty-nine miles south-west of Montreal. Drawn
by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Brandard. Size 5x7.
1823â€” NELSON'S COLUMN, MONTREALâ€” The memorial, which is
at the upper end of Jacques Cartier Square, near the Chateau de Ramezay,
was erected in 1809 by subscriptions from English and French citizens of
Montreal. It is of grey, compact limestone, and has a square base, about
ten and a half feet high, supporting a Doric pillar rising to a height of
fifty feet. The whole is surmounted by a figure of Nelson in the attitude
in which he stood at the moment of receiving his death wound. His left
and only remaining arm is resting upon the stump of a broken mast,
surrounded by tackles, blocks, etc., as they appear to have fallen from the
rigging. ' On the four sides of the pedestal are panels depicting incidents
in the career of Nelson. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by E. J.
Roberts. Size 5x7.
1824â€” JUNCTION OF ST. FRANCIS AND MAGOG RIVERSâ€” The St.
Francis rises in Lake St. Francis, Wolfe County, Que.; and at Sherbrooke
is joined by the Magog, the town of Sherbrooke lying on both sides of the
latter river. The united streams, after winding through a picturesque
country, empty into the St. Lawrence at Lake St. Peter. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. "Engraved by J. Smith. Size 5x7.
1825â€” LAKE OF THE TWO MOUNTAINS, 1839-41â€” A beautiful ex-
pansion of the Ottawa River, near its mouth. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett.
Engraved by F. W. Topham. Size 5x7.
1826â€” PLAINS OF ABRAHAM, QUEBEC, 1839-41â€” View .looking
towards the west. The artist errs in calling it "The spot where General
Wolfe fell." The present monument more correctly has it, "Here died
Wolfe victorious." He fell at the head of his army a few hundred paces
nearer the city than the site of the memorial, and was carried to the rear
after receiving his fatal wound. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
R. Wallis. Size 5x7. See 2821.
1827â€” VIEW ACROSS THE BOUNDARY LINE BETWEEN CANADA
AND THE UNITED STATESâ€” Sketched from a point on Sugar Loaf
Mountain, overlooking Lake Memphremagog, Que. â€” Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by S. Bradshaw. Size 5x7.
1828â€” SQUAW'S GRAVE OF THE EARLY DAYSâ€” On Lake Deschenes,
near Aylmer. Bartlett, in his "Canadian Scenery," says that as a rule the
graves of the Indians were of a long, narrow shape, protected from attack
on the part of wild animals by an outer covering of split wood, bound
together with branches, and within this was a covering of birch bark,
beneath which was placed the body, covered with sand. Blueberry Point
is seen in the distance in the picture. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved
by J. C. Bentley. Size 5x7.
1829â€” LES MARCHES NATURELLES, OR NATURAL STEPS,
MONTMORENCY RIVERâ€” A mile above the falls. Drawn by W. H. Bart-
lett. Engraved by F. W. Tooham. Size 5x7.
1830â€” ST. JOHN'Sâ€” On the Richelieu River, 1839-41â€” St. John's,
formerly Dorchester, a quaint, French-looking little town in the Seigniory
of Longeuil, is the capital of St. John's County, Que. It was at one time
of considerable importance as a fortified post, commanding the line of
approach by the Champlain Valley. In the campaigns of 1776-7 St. John's
was one of the chief bases of supply for the troops of Burgoyne and Carle-
ton. The bridge connects the town with St. Athanase on the opposite
ishore of the river. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. Carter.
1831â€” HALLOWELL, U.C. (PICTON), 1839-41â€” The present town of
Picton, on the Bay of Quinte, in Prince Edward County, was formerly
known as Hallowell, west of the bridge. East of the bridge only was
known as Picton, after the distinguished general of that name, who lost
his life at Waterloo. Following considerable discussion as to which name
should be retained, Picton was selected and the town so incorporated about
1847. Hallowell Township was the centre of a U.E. Loyalist settlement.
Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. C. Armytage. Size 5x7.
1832â€” MONTREALâ€” From the St. Lawrence, 1839-41â€” A picturesque
river view â€” Mount Royal is shown overlooking the city in the background.
The edifice in the centre is the Church of Notre Dame. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by C. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1833â€” ST. LAWRENCE, AT MONTREAL, 1839-41â€” With key. Drawn
by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by H. Griffiths. Size 5x7.
1834â€” SCENE ON THE BAY OF QUINTE, 1839-41â€” A large inlet to
the west of Kingston, Ont, very singularly formed between Hastings
County on the mainland to the north, and the irregular peninsula of Prince
Edward to the south. The bay, which is about fifty miles in length, affords
a safe harbor from the heavy gales of Lake Ontario. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by C. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1835â€” FORT CHAMBLY, 1839-41â€” On the west side of the Richelieu
River, between the St. John's Canal and the Montfeal River. Drawn by
W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. T. Willmore. Size 5x7. See 1942-5, 1965.
1836â€” QUEENSTONâ€” On the Niagara River, five miles north of
Niagara Falls and seven above the town of Niagara. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by J. C. Armytage. Size 5x7.
1837â€” PORT HOPE, U.C., 1839-41â€” A port of entry on the north shore
of Lake Ontario. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by E. Benjamin.
1838â€” WHIRLPOOL RAPIDS, NIAGARA RIVER, 1839-41â€” At the
south extremity of the first rapids, below the old town of Clifton (now
Niagara Falls, Ont.) A reflex in the current, caused by an angle in the
river, forms what is known as the "Whirlpool." Drawn by W. H. Bartlett.
Engraved by E. Radclyffe. Size 5x7.
1839â€” BROCK'S MONUMENT, QUEENSTON .HEIGHTS, 1839-41â€”
Erected in memory of Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, who fell at Queenston
Heights, October 13th, 1812. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by
R. Wallis. Size 5x7.
1840â€” MAITLAND'S WHARF AND THE ONTARIO HOUSE,
TORONTO, U.C., 1839-41â€” It was from Maitland's Wharf, at the foot of
Church street, that the old horse boat and the first steam ferry ran to
Privat's Hotel, which stood where the eastern channel now runs through
Toronto Island. The Ontario House was at one time the principal hotel
of Toronto, and stood on the north-west corner of Market (Wellington) and
Church streets. It later became known as the Wellington Hotel. Drawn
by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by E. J. Roberts. Size 5x7.
1841 â€” ST. REGIS, 1839-41 â€” An Indian village in Huntingdon County,
six miles from Cornwall, on the St. Lawrence and St. Regis Rivers. The
Indians shown are Iroquois, who reside here on the reserve. Drawn by
W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by H. Griffiths. Size 5x7.
1842â€” RAFT IN A SQUALL ON LAKE ST. PETERâ€” The lake is a
shallow expansion of the St. Lawrence, above Three Rivers, and forms
the south-east boundary of Maskinonge County, Que. A deep channel has
been dredged through the expansion, so that it has been made navigable
for large ocean vessls. Numerous islands dot the southern portion of the
lake. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by J. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1843â€” THREE RIVERS, QUE., 1839-41â€” Looking towards the east-
Three Rivers, the capital of St. Maurice County, is situated at the mouth
of the St. Maurice River â€” where it flows into the St. Lawrence. Trois
Rivieres, as the French have it, early became an important fur trading
centre, but it was not until 1634 that a permanent settlement was founded.
Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7. See 1962, 2015.
1844â€” BURIAL PLACE OF THE VOYAGEURSâ€” View on the banks of
the Ottawa River, above Hull, showing Green Island â€” The Voyageurs,
river boatmen of frontier days, in Quebec Province, were wont to select
pretty spots on banks of rivers or shores of lakes for the burial of their
dead, marking the location with a cross. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. En-
graved by S. Bradshaw. Size 5x7.
1845â€” FISH MARKET, TORONTO, U.C., 1839-41â€” The market was in a
little bay just east of the old City Hall, on the bay shore on the south
side of Palace (Front) street, and in the forties was frequented by Indians
as well as citizens. Opposite this market was the City Hotel, formerly
the Steamboat Hotel, long known as Ulick Howard's. At the Junction of
Front and Market (Wellington) streets is seen the Coffin Block, so named
because of its striking resemblance at one end to a coffin. Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by J. C. Bentley. Size 5x7.
1846â€” KINGSTON, U.C., 1839-41â€” A view from Fort Henry, on the
mainland, above Point Frederick, or Navy Point. Drawn by W. H. Bart-
lett. Engraved by R. Brandard. Size 5x7. See 1849.
1847â€” WINTER SCENE IN AYLMER, QUE., 1839-41â€” The town of
Aylmer is not in Upper Canada, as stated on the engraving in "Canadian
Scenery," but in Wright County, Que., on Lake Deschenes, an expansion
of the Ottawa River in Wright County. The building seen to the right of
the picture is the original Holt's Hotel. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. En-
graved by J. C. Armytage. Size 5x7.
1848â€” LONG SAULT RAPIDSâ€” On the St. Lawrence River, near Corn-
wall, between the Canadian shore and Long Sault Island. The rapids, nine
miles in length, are avoided in ascending by the Cornwall Canal. Drawn
by vv. H. Bartlett. Engraved by C. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1849â€” VIEW OF KINGSTON, U.C.â€” Taken from Fort Henry, Barrie-
field, looking down the river â€” Cedars Island is shown in the centre. To
the left is Deadman's Bay, and Milton Island is in the background. Drawn
by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by R. Wallis. Size 5x7. See 1846.
1850â€” NAVY ISLAND, NIAGARA RIVER, 1839-41â€” A view from the
Canadian side above Niagara Falls, between Goat Island and the Cana-
dian shore. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by C. Cousen. Size 5x7.
1851â€” SCENE AMONG THE THOUSAND ISLANDSâ€” Drawn by W. H.
Bartlett. Engraved by R. Brandard. Size 5x7.
1852 â€” BRIDGE NEAR QUEBEC â€” The engraving is thought to represent
a bridge that formerly crossed the River Gouffre, near St. Paul's Bay,
opposite Isle Aux Coudres. The Gouffre, which rises in Charlevoix County,
Que., pursues a very circuitous course, and is difficult to ascend because
of its many rapids. Drawn by W. H. Bartlett. Engraved by F. W. Topham.
1853â€” LOOKING UP FROM THE WHARVES, QUEBECâ€” With key,
showing: 1, Houses in Little Champlain street, immediately under Duf-
ferin Terrace. 2, Building formerly occupied by Thibaudeau Bros., whole-
sale dry goods merchants, now (1917) shops and boarding houses; it faces
the old Champlain Market Place on east side. 3, Houses facing old Cham-
plain Market Place on north side; site now occupied by station of National
Transcontinental Railway. 4. Stairway leading to river boats; replaced by
pontoon and shorter stairs. 5. Dufferin Terrace. Water color from original
drawing by F. B. Schell, for "Picturesque Canada," 1880. Size 4x7.
1854â€” "BIEN COMFORTABLE" (VERY COMFORTABLE)â€” The aged
habitant appreciates to the full his solacing pipe. Copy of oil by Henri
Julien, in possession of O. S. Perrault, Montreal. Size 8x10.
1855â€” "AVEC MA PETITE FILLE" (WITH MY LITTLE GIRL) â€”
Plodding through the snow drifts on a Quebec road. Copy of oil by Henri
Julien, in possession of O. S._ Perrault, Montreal. Size 7x9.
1856â€” MONTREAL AND ST. HELEN'S ISLANDâ€” From a point in the
centre of the River St. Lawrence, Oct, 1849 â€” To the left of picture is a
distant view of the city. Water color by Gen. A. R. V. Crease, R.E.
Size 9x13. See 1864.
1857â€” "SLEDGE RACE NEAR MONTREALâ€” Published under the
patronage of the Right Hon. the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, Governor-
General of British North America. Painted by C. Krieghoff. Lith. by A.
Borum in Munic." The view is taken just below Longueuil Point, on the
winter road between Longueuil and Montreal. No. 1 is Longueuil Point;
No. 2, the City of Montreal; 3, the mountain; 4, Lord Elgin's turnout. The
artist introduced Lord Elgin, who was his patron, in other views also;
e.g., the Fall of Montmorency. Lithograph. Size 13 x 19.
1858â€” RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER ST. ANNE'S RAPIDSâ€” On the St.
Lawrence, near Montreal. The Montreal and Lachine Railway was built
in 1847 and later taken over by the Grand Trunk, which built the bridge
connecting on the left, or south side of the rive*r, the Island of Montreal
with Isle Perrot. The Rapids of St. Anne are those mentioned by Tom
Moore in his "Canadian Boat Song." This picture was not made on the
spot, but from the engineer's drawing, and is not quite correct; the two
mountains should be the same height as the one on the left; also the
bridge, the first erected at this point, is much shorter than it appears in
the view. The latter was removed about thirty years ago and replaced by
a modern steel double-track structure. Lithograph. Published by John
\veale, London, 1860. Kell Bros., Lithrs., Castle St., Holborn. Size 8x12.
1859â€” "SHOVING OF ICE UPON WHARVES IN FRONT OF MONT-
REAL â€” Kell Bros., lithrs., Castle street, Holborn. Published by John
Weale, London, 1860." No. 1 is the dome of Bonsecours Market, in centre
of building, which is situated near Jacques Cartier square. 2, Eastern end
of market. 3, The old Church of Notre Dame de Bonsecours, completed,
1675; burned, 1754, and rebuilt, 1771. 4, Buildings in rear belonging to
the church. 5, Houses in St. Paul street. Many houses of the French
period exist in this neighborhood. The street fronting the harbor is Com-
missioners street. Lithograph. Size 7x9.