United States. Bureau of the Census.

Manufacturing and mercantile resources and industries of the principal places in Wayne, Henry, Delaware and Randolph counties, Indiana : with a review of their manufacturing, mercantile and general business interests, advantageous location, &c, including a brief historical and statistical sketch of online

. (page 17 of 38)
Online LibraryUnited States. Bureau of the CensusManufacturing and mercantile resources and industries of the principal places in Wayne, Henry, Delaware and Randolph counties, Indiana : with a review of their manufacturing, mercantile and general business interests, advantageous location, &c, including a brief historical and statistical sketch of → online text (page 17 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a thorough practical knowledge of the drug
business and has secured the confidence of the
public in the preparation and compounding of
medicines.



Among others doing business here are the
following: M. H. Moore Sc Co, drv goods;
F. M.Jones & Co., hardware; W. P". Moore,
groceries; C. C. Hollow ell, tinware; W. H.
Swope, harness; J. Noll, shoes; St. Clair &
Bilby, drugs; Jones & Gresh, dry goods; P.
Hoshour, stoves; M. Michael, jeweler.



EAST GERMANTOWN.



"Was laid out in 1833-4, and was first
-called Georgetown but afterward changed
to present name. Among the early set-
tlers were John Buekly, Jacob Waltz and
Jacob Sowers. Benj. Conklin started the
iirst store which was in charge of John
Buckley. John Hazleton built the first
house. Jacob Sowers was the first post-
master, 1843. The first church was the



Lutheran, 1835. There is now a popula-
tion of about 400 inhabitants, with many-
business houses which in stock and gen-
eral facilities will bear favorable compari-
son with the larger towns and cities of this
section of the state. There is a good pub-
lic school building, a German and an
English Lutheran and an Evangelical
church.



J. H. WINTER,

General Merchandise.
The leading mercantile house of East Ger-
mantown and one of the oldest and most thor-
oughly reliable in this section of the county, is
that now conducted by Mr. J. H. Winter which
was original Iv established by C. Morgan who
was succeed ed by Russell & Skinner, after
which it was moved to its present location and
conducted by Wysong & Winter who formed
a partnership in 1S76, the present proprietor
assuming control in 1879, under whose effi-
cient management the business has since been
conducted. The premises occupied for busi-
ness purposes are 50x50 feet in dimensions and
the stock comprises a general and complete
assortment of foreign and American dry goods
staple and fancy groceries, clothing* boots,
shoes, hats, caps, hardware, notions, tobacco,
cigars and miscellaneous merchandise in a



great variety of forms such as usually are
found in firs't class, well conducted establish-
ments of this kind. The postoffice occupies a
portion of the room devoted to mercantile pur-
j po>es and this house is the recognized head
J quarters for trade among the residents of this
J and surrounding towns. Mr. Winter was born
J in Lanca>ter County, Pa., in 1S51. He has re-
sided in Germantown for the past 20 years.
I His mercantile career has been characterized
I by liberality, enterprise and honorable meth-
j ods of dealing and his reputation for integrity
and reliability is unquestioned in this section
where he is widely and favorably known.



Other more important firms doing business
here ate: J. S. Short', drugs; E. D. Nert", cigar
mfctr; H. M. Sourbeer, hotel; Elmer Wart'el,
cigar manufacturer.



jienry County.



While disclaiming any pretension to
assume the responsibilities or prorogations
of the historian whose office and claim is
the production of an exhaustive literary
review of the origin and incidents per-
taining to a strictly historical work upon
the county, we presume to restrict our
efforts, rather, to more specific matters as
they bear more directly upon the rise and
progress of industrial "interests. As hav-
ing a direct bearing upon subsequent
developments, we compile many useful
and interesting features of early history
for the purpose of showing the infancy
of trade, commercial and manufacturing
operations, for comparison or contrast
with these features as they exist at the
present time. By treaty negotiated at St.
Marys, in 1818, by acting Gov. Jennings,
Ge n . Lewis Cass and Judge Benj. Parks,
the territory now embraced in this and
other counties, was relinquished by the
Indians, and confirmed in 1821 . The first
settlers of which any notice is found came
to this section in 1819, and no surveys
were made until the following year. In
1821 the first entries of land are recorded.
Among the earlier settlers we mention
Joseph Morris, Samuel Julian, T. R. Stan-
ford, (first judge), Willett M. Carv, James
Harvey, Wm. Woodard, Ashel Wood-
ard, (April, 1810), Asa Heaton, Joel
Gilbert, Dempsey Reese, Seth Henshaw,
C. Wickersham, and E. Martindale.
Henry County was organized in February,
1822, and was named in honor of Patrick
Henry, of Virginia, as is the case with
all early organized counties of the state,
many changes were subsequently made,
resulting ultimately in the formation of
the following townships: Henry, Spice-
land, Prairie, Franklin, Wayne, Dudley,
Liberty, Greensboro', Harrison, Stony
Creek, Fall Creek, Jefferson and Blue
River. The principal towns are, New
Castle, Middletown, Knightstown, Lewis-



ville, Greensboro', Spiceland, Lisbon, Cor-
win, Mt. Summit, Springport, Woodville,
Ashton and Millville. Among the earlier
settlers of Henry Township were Ashel
Woodard: Andrew Shannon, Allen Shep-
herd, Geo. Hobson and Wm. Shannon.
The first cabin was erected by Mr. Wood-
ard, just north of New Castle, and Wm.
Owen, of Dudley Township, purchased
the first tract of land February 4, 1822.
The first church built in Henry County
was by the Friends Society, in 1823, in
Hopewell Township. The first school
house was built in Dudley Township, 1823,
and the first tavern was kept by Charles
Jamison. The first steam mill was erected
and^ conducted by Daniel Reynolds in
1837. The first carding machine was
erected neajr the location of the present
depot at Knightstown. The countv is
chiefly undulating and of rich alluvial
soil, and is finely provided with streams
capable of supplying water power, the
chief of which are, Blue River, Deer
Creek, Flat Rock and Stony Creeks, and
it is said that no white man was ever
murdered by Indians within the limits of
this county.

Henry County is located in Eastern
Indiana, in the midst of a fine, rolling
country, well watered and productive!
Turnpikes traverse it in all directions. It
is famous for the intelligence, education
and refinement of its citizens; for its
splendid farms, highly cultivated and
handsomely improved, and for the large
production and good quality of grain,
horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. From a
late statistical report we see that the
county is out of debt. Population, 25,-
000. Value of lands, 80,084,(180; im-
provements, 82,788,425; personal prop-
erty, 85,025,330. Its public buildings,
court house, jail, asylum and orphans'
home rank with the best in the State.



LEWISVILLE



The town of Lewisville, Franklin Town-
ship, is situated in the southern part of
Heury County on the line of the Old Na-
tional Pike and the C, St. L.& P. Ry. The
town was originally laid out by Mr. Lewis
Freeman in 1829. In October of that
year the lots were offered for sale, and
the comfort of attendants secured by an
immense log fire. Among the primative
incidents we mention that the first store
was one of general merchandize, owned
by Mr. James B. Harris. The post office
for this section was originally at what
was known as Garnett, near here, and
was kept by Garnett Hayden. He after-
wards kept the first hotel opened in this
town. The first postmaster in Lewisville



was John Widdows. The first black-
smith shop was started either by Samuel
Sackett or John Baldwin. Among the
early settlers we mention Robert Fletcher,
Robert Smith, Sr., and William Houston.
The fiirst physician was Dr. Harper. The
first church building erected was the M.
E. Church, in 1842-3. The town now
contains about 500 inhabitants, abuut
twenty business houses of every descrip-
tion; two churches, M. E. Church and
Presbyterian; one well conducted acade-
my; four physicians; flouring mill, and
one hotel.' It enjoys a good local trade
from the fine agricultural district with
which it is surrounded.



WHITE ROSE MILLS,

W. H. Lewis, Proprietor.
These mills are the largest in this section in
the magnitude of their operations. The White
Rose mills were erected in 1S56 by Ely Davis,
who controlled the business for a number of
years, when he was succeeded by E. J. Love-
land. In 1876 Mr. Loveland gave way to the
present proprietor, who had been the practical
manager and bookkeeper of the house for
6ome years prior to that time. The mill was
remodeled in 1SS2 at an expense of $4,200
and is now among the best equipped in the
6tate for the manufacture of the choicest
brands of family flour. The building is large
and substantial, 50x60 feet in dimensions and
four stories in height. It is equipped with
four run of stone, the new process has been
introduced and all the machinery throughout
the mill is of the latest and most improved
designs. A 60 horse power engine supplies
the motive power and a working force of four
hands are kept in constant employ. The flour
turned out is of the finest quality and will
bear comparison with any contemporaneous
establishment in the state. The producls are
sold in this locality, besides shipments to Balti-
more, New York and other points. Their
capacity is about 100 barrels per 24 hours.
To the building above described is attached a
large warehouse 20x120 feet in dimensions,
used for the storage of grain, etc., in which
line Mr. Lewis transacts an immense busi
ness. In 1SS2 he handled about 100,000
1 bushels of grain. His storage capacity is



50,000. Mr. Lewis is a careful and reliable
business manager and a practical miller of 14
years experience. He was born in Indiana in
1840 and has for a number of years been
identified with the commercial and business
operations of this section of the state. In 1S61
he enlisted in Company A, 36th Indiana Vol-
unteer Infantry, serving in the Army of the
Tennessee, principally under McCook and
Howard, Corps Commanders, and Nelson and
Palmer, Division Commanders, receiving an
honorable discharge in 1S64.



WILLIAM L. HOUSTON,
Postmaster.
For so many years identified with the com-
munity in which he resides, more than a
passing notice is due Mr. Houston in this
work. He is a native of Rockbridge Countv,
Va., where he was born in 1S13, removing
with his uncle, Mr. J. Poague, and his mother
to this state. In 1S25 they removed to Jennings
County and the following June removing to
Union County, near Liberty. Here Mr.
Houston served an apprenticeship under Isaac
Conwell, a well known tanner of that place.
In 1S34 ' le married and removed to this
county, where he has since resided. In 1837
he was appointed Po>master under Van
Buren's Administration and held the office for
iS consecutive years under the successive
changes ot administration. In 1S77 he was
again appointed to this office, which he still
holds, to the highest satisfaction of all con-
cerned. In politics, he has always been identi-



STATE OF INDIANA.



fied with the Republican party since its birth,
. in 1856. He adheres firmly to its principles,
having been educated in the old Whig school
of politics. He cast his first vote for William
H. Harrison, the hero of Tippecanoe. Mr.
Houston is the father of eight children, six of
•whom are still living. Highlj esteemed in
the community in which he lives and active
in the promotion of progressive interests, we
freely accord to him the notice here given.

BENJAMIN HOOL,

Manufacturer or Carriages, Wagons,
ktc, William St.

• Mr Hool's establishment is the only one of
the kind in Lewisville and exercises considera-
ble influence upon the commercial interests of
this locality, such as entitles it to liberal sup-
port and consideration in this review. Mr.
Hool is a native of Canada and was born in
1820. He has been a resident of the United
States since 183S, coming to this section of
this state in 1854. The enterprise in which he
is now engaged was opened by him in 1S77.
He was identified with the hotel and mer-
chandising business for a number of years
prior to that time. His establishment is noted
for reliable work in every department of the
business, a point which he guarantees to his
patrons. He turns out about 12 new jobs
annually and pays special attention to repair-
ing and job work, painting and trimming, etc.
Mr. Hool is a skilled and practical workman
and employs only the best of artizans, uses
none but the best material and is justly entitled
to the liberal notice here accorded in a review
of the business and manufacturing enterprises
of this part of the state.



MRS. ROBERT BARTLETT,

Dry Goods, Clothing, Notions, Boots,
Shoes, Hats and Caps, etc. •
This house, which is the leading one of the
town, was established in 1S75 by Robert Bart-
lett, but upon the death of Mr. Bartlett, in
1876, his wife assumed control of the house
and has managed it in a manner that is highly
satisfactory to the public and beneficial to both
the proprietor and her patrons. This business
occupies a salesroom 22x60 feet in dimensions
and carries a stock of goods worth at least
$10,000. Her annual trade will amount to
$25,000 and extends throughout Lewisville
and its environments. The business is to a
great extent under the management of W. M.
Bartlett, a son of the proprietress, who has
enjoyed that experience in the trade which
ensures to him a successful business career and
a comprehension of the requirements of the
various branches of trade this house controls.
Mrs. Bartlett is a native and lifelong resident
of this state and the advantages enjoyed by
this house in securing supplies from producers
and the best jobbing houses of the country
insure to It the ability to compete in prices
with any contemporaneous establishment in
the state.



BROWN & BOLLMEYER,

Drugs, Books, Stationery, etc.
This business was first established in iS62r
by Dr. Castor, and after passing successively
through the hands of C. A. Humphrey, Wil-
son & Reddick, Asa Davis, Rail & Copland
and Dr. Van Nuys, the present firm took pos-
session in December, 1S82. The trade of the
house has grown gradually since the date of
its inception. Their stock is complete in all
the departments, including also a full line of
wall paper, notions, druggists' sundries, etc.
Their storeroom is 17x60 feet in dimensions
and presents a neat and attractive appearance.
The entire room is filled to repletion with
their stock, the aggregate valuation of which
amounts to $2,800. Their annual trade com-
pares very favorably with that of any similar
establishment in this section and amounts to
$7,000. They make it a point to keep in
stock none but pure and fresh drugs and
medicines and exercise special care in the
compounding of prescriptions. D. M. Brown
was born in Indiana in 1841 ; Mr. Bollmever
in Ohio in 1857. Both are conservative "but
enterprising gentlemen, the firm enjoying, as
a consequence of those and other qualifica-
tions, the esteem of the entire community.
Mr. J. F. Bollmeyer is at present filling the
position of Treasurer of the corporation.



CALDWELL HOUSE,

Benjamin Caldwell, Proprietor.
The site occupied by the Caldwell House
has been used for hotel purposes for 50 years.
The hotel that formerly stood here" was
destroyed by fire in 1S65. In 1S69 the present
building was constructed by Jesse Sanders.
The present proprietor has had charge of the
house since 1S79, having in that year suc-
ceeded his uncle, James Caldwell, after whom
the house had been named. The building is.
50x50 feet in dimensions, two storie* in height
and contains 15 rooms. Fifty guests can be
accommodated and the rates for transient
visitors are $1.50 per day. The office, dining
room and kitchen, on the first floor, are noted
for their cleanliness and good order, and the
sleeping apartments throughout the building
are comfortably furnished. The tables are
always supplied with the best substantiate
as well as delicacies to be had in the market
here and the cooking will always satisfy even
the most fastidious, while all the comforts of a
home are extended to its patrons. Mr. Cald-
well is a native of Fayette County, this state,
and was born in 1S37. tIe > s a genial host
and is well known by traveling men.



WILSON & HOPPER,

Blacksmithing and Wagon Making,

East Main St.
The shop conducted by this firm, on East
Main St., is 30x40 feet in dimensions, and in
addition to the services of both members of '
the firm one skilled assistant is kept in con-
stant employ. They turn out about 12 new



LEWISVILLE.



99



jobs annually and their work will bear favora-
ble comparison with that turned out by
metropolitan establishments, not only in artis-
tic finish but also in a marked sense in its
durability and solidity. Their principal work,
however, is general repairing, horse shoeing
and job work, to which they give prompt and
satisfactory attention. The wood work de-
partment is in chnrge of Mr. David Firecoat,
who is a thoroughly practical and accom-
plished workman. Mr. Wilson is a native of
Virginia and was born in 1843. Mr. Hopper
is a native and lifelong resident of Lewisville
and was born in 185S. Their business is
steadily increasing and their establishment is
recognized as one of the permanent and sub-
stantial institutions of Lewisville.



WILLIAM REYNOLDS,

Livery and Feed Stable.
These stables were built in 1S81 by their
present proprietor. The building is 42x36
feet in dimensions and one and one- half
stories in height. The stables are conveni-
ently arranged, well equipped, and 15 horses
can be conveniently accommodated. He
keeps four first class roadsters, with suitable
turnouts tor livery purposes, and enjoys alto-
gether a liberal patronage. He has been
identified with livery business since 1875 and
is conversant with all its details. Mr. Rey-
nolds is a native of this state and is about 40
years of age. He is held in high esteem by
his fellow citizens and has at different times
held offices of trust under the corporation.
He is at present acting in the capacity of Con-
stable, discharging every duty to the satisfac-
tion of all concerned.

J. C. KELLER,

Drugs, Books, Stationery, etc.
The business carried on by the above named
gentleman constitutes one of the most im-
portant industries of Lewisville and is entitled
to fayorable notice in this work. The house
was established 12 years ago by Dr. Kerr. It
has been under the present management for
four years, Mr. Keller having at that time suc-
ceeded S. T. S. Williams. Mr. Keller occu-



pies a salesroom 24x52 feet in area, to 'which
is attached a side room 10x30 feet in area.
The stock carried embraces every article that
could be enumerated in connection with this
line of business. Mr. Keller has made the
drug business his life work and takes special
pains to keep his stock constantly replenished
with new and fresh supplies. In addition to
his supply of drugs and proprietary- medicines
he carries a full line of druggist's* sundries,
mixed paints, oils, school books and supplies,
stationery, cigars, tobaccos, notion*, lamps,
toilet articles, etc. Mr. Keller is a native of
Pennsylvania but has resided in this stzte
about 30 years. He has been actively en-
gaged in the drug business since 1S67.



SANDERS & CHESNUT,
Meat Market.
Mr. Jesse Sanders, the senior member of
this firm, is a native of North Carolina and
was born in tSto. He settled nere in 1S24,
when this section was a comparative wilder-
ness; is now 73 years of age and is hale and
hearty, being able to read the papers without
the aid of glasses. His aged and venerable
mother, 96 years of age, is still living in this
county, enjoying good health. Mr. Sanders
has pursued the business in which he is now
engaged to a greater or less extent for a
period of 25 years. In the meanwhile he has
been identified with other business pursuit-;,
he having built the Caldwell House. His
partner and grandson by marriage is an ern-
cient and enterprising business man, and on
him devolves much of the business of the
firm. The firm handle about 150 fat cattle
annually and dispose of small stock in pro-
portion. During the winter months they ship
large lots of poultry to the Eastern "cities.
Their trade altogether is large and satisfac-
tory, the firm enjoying, as it does, the con-
fidence and esteem of the entire commun':v.



There are also doing business here the fol-
lowing firms:

G. Hume, hardware; Smith & Son, planing
mill; T. L. Guering, general store; Coltrain
& Philips, livery; D. Fenstamaker, harness.



NEW CASTLE.



Soon after the organization of the coun-
ty this place was chosen as the county
seat, and while the assumed proprietor is
recognized as Mr. Charles Jamison as the
first settler of the town, the records show
he had less to do with it than some others.
Mr. Absalom Harvey gave twenty acres
and John Brumfield about twenty -eight
acres, A. Lewis gave fourteen acres, Allen
Shepherd ten acres, Messrs. Rue & Hole-
man, of Wayne County, gave twenty-four
acres, less five lots. The first sale of lots
occurred in July, 1822. Dwellings now
began to be erected and the settlement to
prosper. The first merchant was Isaac
Budsaul, who erected a log cabin 12x16
feet in size. It had only a dirt floor with
roof, counters and shelves constructed of
stakes, pins and clapboards. The stock,
though small, consisted of every variety
of mercantile commodity appropriate to
those early days, and the sales were chiefly
In barter, a large portion being in skins
and furs. The first M. E. Church was
organized in 1823 with Father Havens as
preacher. The first Circuit Court, met at
the house of Mr. Hobson, September 30,
1822, at which were present Associate
Judges Thos. R. Stanford and Elisha
Long. The first entry on the court docket
is, "Andrew Shannon, so far forgot him-
self as to swear two profane oaths in the
presence of the conrt, for which he is
fined 82." The total amount of taxes for
1822 were §74.50. The total vote of the
county in 1825 was 366. The contract
for building the first court house was
given May 14, 1822, to Geo. Barnard, to
be constructed of logs 20x26 feet in size,
at a cost of S247.00. The second court
house was built of brick in 1832, but not
accepted until 1836, at a cost of $4,500.
This house was destroyed by fire in 1864
and the present large and beautiful struc-
ture was completed at a cost of 8120,000,
and accepted in 1869. The present jail
is also a model of solid masonry and iron



and was built at a cost of $40,000. The
first newspaper published in New Castle
was March 31, 1836, and was called the
Henry County Sun, though it was not for
some time published with any regularity.
The first postmaster was James Budsaul,
he was also the first auditor of the
county. New Castle is situated within a
mile of the center of the county, and is
chiefly upon elevated ground. About
ninety-four acres were originally donated
to the town, and many additions have
since been made. In 1833 it contained
but 300 inhabitants, while it contains to-
day not less than 3,000. While its growth
was comparitively slow up to 1854, the
completion of the Chicago and Eastern
Railroad (now I. & St. L.) at this time
greatly facilitated its growth and business
importance, and the subsequent comple-
tion of the Muncie, New Castle and Fort
Wayne R. R., and more recently the I,
B. & W., giving it superior shipping fa-
cilities and stimulating manufacturing
enterprise. Its manufacturing enterprises
and fine business houses, as well as its
fine public buildings and palatial private
residences entitles it to rank among the
most beautiful inland cities in the state.
New Castle has seven churches; the best
of public schools, taught nine months in
the year. Two established weekly papers
are published, viz.: The Hunry County
Courier, published by W. H. Elliott, en-
joying a circulation of 3,000. The Mur-
cury, by Parker & Wickersham, six col.
quarto, also enjoys a liberal circulation.
Nine turnpikes lead from the county seat
to the utmost corners of the county. Few
cities of its size in any section will strike
the stranger more favorably as a desirable
place of business or residence than that
of New Castle. Following will be found
sketches of nearly all the principal busi-
ness houses, which will serve to r give the
reader an idea of the city's importance as
a commercial point.



CITY OF NEW CASTLE.



101



NEW CASTLE FOUNDRY AND

PUMP COMPANY,
General Foundry and Machine
Works.

Unquestionably one of the most Important
of New Castle's industrial enterprises is that
which under the de>ignating title of the New
Castle Foundry and Pump Company has re-
cently been organized in this city for the man-



Online LibraryUnited States. Bureau of the CensusManufacturing and mercantile resources and industries of the principal places in Wayne, Henry, Delaware and Randolph counties, Indiana : with a review of their manufacturing, mercantile and general business interests, advantageous location, &c, including a brief historical and statistical sketch of → online text (page 17 of 38)