University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 10 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 10 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to be deposited in the Library of the Royal Society in London, in
the Radcliffe Library, and in the Observatory itself; but from the
year 1840 they have been printed, by order of the Trustees, under the
superintendence of the Observer, in a handsome octavo volume, which
is continued annually.

Observers.

1772 Thomas Hornsby, D.D., Fellow of Corpus, Professor of Astronomy ; after-
wards Professor of Natural Philosophy

1810 Abram Robertson, D.D., Ch. Cb., Professor of Astronomy

1827 Stephen Peter Rigaud, M.A., sometime Fellow of Exeter, Professor of
Astronomy

1839 Manuel John Johnson, M.A., Magdalen Hall

1860 Robert Main, M.A., Pembroke, incorporated from Queens' College, Cam-
bridge.

1878 Edward James Stone, MA., Ch. Ch. ; Hon. Fellow (sometime Fellow) of
Queens' College, Cambridge.

Taylor Institution.

Sir Robert Taylor, an Architect of eminence in the last century,
bequeathed the residue of his property, a very considerable sum, to
" the Chancellor and Scholars of the University of Oxford and their
" successors, for the purpose of applying the interest and produce thereof
" in purchase of freehold land within, or if possible to be made within,
"the jurisdiction of the said University, for the erecting a proper
" edifice therein, and for establishing a foundation, for the teaching
" and improving the European languages in such manner as should
" from time to time be approved by the said Chancellor and Scholars
" in Convocation assembled." He died in 1788, but his bequest, being
subject to certain contingencies, did not take effect till 1835, and it
was not until 1848 that the "proper edifice" which was to be erected
could be made fully ready for use. This building, of which C. R.
Cockerell, Esq., D.C.L., was the architect, comprises a spacious Library,
several Lecture Rooms, and apartments for the residence of a Librarian.

The Institution is under the direction of nine Curators, of whom the
Vice-Chancellor, the Regius Professor of Modern History, and the
Professor of Comparative Philology, are ex officio three ; of the other
six, who must all be Members of Convocation, four are appointed for a
period of five years, and two for ten, after which they may be nominated
again.

There are four Teacherships of Modern European Languages, a
Scholarship, and an Exhibition, which are described in separate articles.
The Curators are also charged with the application of the proceeds of
a fund arising from the bequest of William Thomas Horner, Earl of



'.'2 INSTITUTIONS.

Dchester, for tlic encouragement of the study of the Polish and other
Slavonic Languages, Literature, and History. By a Statute passed in
1876, they arc authorised to apply the interest of the fund to one or
more of the following purposes, at their discretion and in such manner
and at such times as they may judge most expedient: (1) The delivery
Lectures on subjects connected with the Slavonic Languages or
Literature, 01 the History of the Slavonic Nations: (2) The bestowal
of Prizes or Exhibitions for encouraging the study of those subjects:
(31 The publishing, or assisting in the publication of, works in one or
outer of tlmsc subjects.

The Curators are also charged with the custody of a collection of
books and works of art bequeathed to the University in 1834 by the
Eev. Robert Finch, M.A., of Balliol College, and with the administra-
tion of a fund of ,£'1300 left by him for the maintenance and extensiun
of the collection.

The Library is open between the hours of eleven and five, except
during one month from Aug. 16 to Sept. 14 ; and from Christmas-Eve
to Jan. 2, when it is closed entirely. All Members of the University
have free admission to it, and resident Members are allowed to take
books out of the Library, subject to its regulations. Literary persons
not members of the University are also admissible by special permission.
The leading Newspapers and Periodicals of France, Germany, and Italy,
are taken in and lie upon the table. The Librarian is appointed by
the Curators, with a statutable stipend not exceeding ,£200 a-year. The
present Librarian is Heixeich Keebs, Ph. D. of the University of
Freiburg in Baden, Hon. M.A.

Uniyeesity Galleeies.

The University Galleries form the Central and "Western portions of
the building of which the Taylor Institution is the Eastern, and were
designed by the same Architect. Francis Eandolph, D.D., Principal
of St. Alban Hall, who died in 1796, bequeathed i?1000 towards the
erection of a suitable building for the reception of the Pomfret Statues
and other works of art ; and that sum together with accumulated in-
terest was laid out upon the building, the remainder of the cost being
defrayed from moneys belonging to the University. The Galleries were
opened in 1845. They contain specimens of ancient and modern
Sculpture, including the original models for the principal w^orks of
the eminent English artist, Sir Francis Chantrey, presented by his
widow : a large number of original drawings of M. Angelo and Eaffaele,
purchased by a subscription, towards which the second Earl of Eldon
contributed the munificent sum of ,£'4000 ; and there is one large and
lofty Gallery for Paintings. Many works of art of various kinds have
been given to the University since the Galleries were erected, and the
Arundel Marbles were removed thither from the Bodleian Library and
the Ashmolean Museum in 1888.

A studio for the use of the Slade Professor of Fine Art, with other
rooms, was added in 1886-7.

The Galleries are under the superintendence of seven Curators,



UNIVERSITY MUSEUM. 93

namely, Bodley's Librarian, so long as any works of art belonging to
the Library remain in the Galleries, and six members of Convocation
elected, two by the Hebdomadal Council, two by the Congregation of
the University, and two by the Vice-Chancellor and Proctors, each
holding office for six years and re-eligible. The Galleries are in the
charge of a resident Keeper, appointed by the Curators, with a stipend
of ,£100 a-year, and are open without fee from 12 to 4 daily, except
during a few weeks in the Long Vacation for cleaning. One room has
been assigned for the use of the Oxford School of Art in connexion
with the South Kensington Department of Science and Art.

University Museum.

This edifice, intended for the promotion of the study of Natural
Science, was erected at the charge of the University, from the de-
signs and under the directions of Messrs. Deane and Woodward of
Dublin. The first stone was solemnly laid June 20, 1855, by the Earl
of Derby, Chancellor of the University, and the building was so nearly
finished when the British Association for the Advancement of Science
met in Oxford at the end of June, 1860, that every part of it was then
used. The iron-work was supplied by Mr. Skidmore of Coventry.
The decorative Sculpture both without and within is due to the liber-
ality of individual donors : in particular Her Majesty the Queen has
been pleased to present five of the statues of eminent philosophers
which adorn the Area ; and Woolner's statue of the late Prince Consort,
which faces the entrance, was placed here by gentlemen of the City of
Oxford, who subscribed to have it erected as a memorial of the Prince.
The Museum contains Lecture-rooms, with Work-rooms and
Laboratories where these are required, for the Eegius Professor of
Medicine, and the Professors of Geometry, Natural Philosophy,
Chemistry, Mineralogy, Geology, Anatomy, Physiology, and Zoology ;
a Dissecting-room at the North-eastern angle, and along the front
upstairs a spacious Library and Eeading Room. The Chemical De-
partment, at the south-western angle of the building, was greatly
enlarged by the addition in 1878-9 of a new block of buildings,
including, besides several smaller laboratories for the use of more ad-
vanced workers, one large laboratory fitted for the accommodation of
6ixty-four students of qualitative and quantitative analysis. A build-
ing containing laboratories and a lecture-room for the use of the
Waynflete Professor of Physiology was erected in the north-eastern
portion of the grounds in 1884-5. Some temporary iron buildings
for the use of the Lin acre Professor of Human and Comparative
Anatomy and the Lecturer in Human Anatomy were added in 1886.

Various Collections illustrative of subjects studied in the Museum have
been brought together within its walls, and a large part of them is open
to the view of Students in the Area and Corridors ; a Pathological
Series in the Medical department : Models and Instruments for Experi-
mental Physics ; Minerals, including some of singular rarity given by
the late Richard Simmonds, M.D., of Christ Church ; Fossils, com-



94 INSTITUTIONS.

prising the large collection given by the late Professor Buckland, and
Mr. Pengelly's Devonian Series presented in 1860 by Miss Burdett-
Coutts; the Physiological Series moved from the Anatomy School at
Christ Church by permission of the Dean and Chapter, who, however,
under the Will of the Founder, Mathew Lee, M.D.,
physician to King George II, reserve the right to recall the loan;
logical specimens transferred from the Ashmolean Museum ; a large
collection of Shells presented by Lady and Miss Harvey; two large
collections of British Shells, one given by Sir Walter C. Trevelyan,
Bart., M.A., of University College, the other bequeathed by George
Barlee, Esq., of Exmouth, who died in 1861 ; and a large collection of
Invertebrate Animals given by the Kev. F. W. Hope, the Founder of
the Professorship of Zoology. And, to make these Collections more
useful to Students, the Trustees under Dr. BadclifFe's Will have
allowed the large scientific portion of his Library to be brought here,
and maintain it themselves in the Museum under the charge of Bad-
cliflfe's Librarian, reserving however the right to reclaim it if they
think fit.

By the liberality of the Clarendon Trustees an additional building
was added to the Museum in 1872, containing the lecture-rooms and
laboratories of the department of Experimental Philosophy. This
building contains a large lecture-theatre, a large room for the
Physical Cabinet, laboratories for each of the branches of weighing
and measuring heat, light, electricity, magnetism, and acoustics,
together with smaller rooms for the preparation of special experi-
ments. It is placed under the care of the Professor of Experimental
Philosophy. A residence for a care-taker was added by the University
in 1888.

In 1885-6 an annex was added at the north-east end of the Museum
to contain the extensive and valuable anthropological collection pre-
sented to the University by Major-General Pitt-Kivers, D.C.L.

The Museum is under the superintendence of a Delegacy con-
sisting of the Vice-Chancellor, the two Proctors, and six other persons
chosen by the Congregation of the University. None of the Professors
who teach in the Museum can be Delegates, but all of them are sum-
moned to the meetings of the Delegacy and consulted on the questions
that arise. It is in the charge of a Keeper, who is appointed by the
Delegates subject to the approval of Convocation, and who has an official
residence adjoining on the South-east, and receives a stipend of
^£80 a-year.

The Museum is open to Members of the University from 10 a.m.
till 4 p.m. Visitors are admitted, without fee, after 2 p.m. The
Library is open from 10 a.m. till 4 p.m. daily, and on Mondays and
Thursdays during Term from 7 p.m. till 9 p.m.

Keepers.

1857 John Phillips, M.A., Maerdalen, Professor of Geology ; Hon. D.C.L.

1874 Henry John Stephen Smith, M.A., Fellow of Corpus; Savilian Professor of

Geometry ; Fellow of Bull iol
1883 Edwaed Bcbnett Tyloe, Hon. D.C.L., M.A., Balliol.



THE NEW SCHOOLS. 95

University Observatory.

In March, 1873, the University resolved to have a large Eefracting
Telescope of the highest order of completeness and excellence con-
structed for the purpose of providing more ample instruction for Uni-
versity students in practical astronomy, and for original research. In
the autumn of the same year, the University also accepted from Warren
De La Eue, Hon. D.C.L. (afterwards M.A., New College), a large Re-
flecting TYlescope, together with other astronomical apparatus, specially
adapted for celestial photography, and other branches of astronomical
physics. The Observatory now contains these instruments, together
with others of smaller dimensions. The large lecture-room on the north
side of the Observatory was added in 1877-8.

The Savilian Professor of Astronomy has charge of the Observatory,
subject to the superintendence of a Board of Visitors, which consists of
the Vice-Chancellor, the Proctors, the Astronomer Eoyal, the Director
of the Cambridge University Observatory, the Eadcliffe Observer,
together with four other persons elected by the Congregation of the
University for ten years. Mr. W. E. Plummer and Mr. C. A. Jenkins,
both formerly of the Eoyal Observatory, Greenwich, are Assistant
Observers.

The New Schools.

The building in the High Street commonly called by this name
was erected in 1876-1882, from the designs of the architect, Thomas
Graham Jackson, M.A., sometime Fellow, and afterwards Honorary
Fellow, of Wadham, at a cost exceeding ^£100,000. The builder was
Mr. Albert Estcourt, of Gloucester ; most of the carving in wood and
stone was executed by Messrs. Farmer and Brindley, of London. The
building was first used for the public University Examinations in Easter
Term, 1882.

In addition to the lofty and spacious entrance-hall, forming the
principal feature of the front towards High Street, the building contains
two large writing-rooms, each capable of accommodating two hundred
candidates, and a third affording space for one hundred and twenty
candidates ; eleven smaller rooms suitable for viva voce examinations ;
private rooms for the use of Examiners ; offices for the Clerk of the
Schools ; lavatories and store-rooms ; a porter's residence ; and an ex-
tensive range of rooms in the basement.

All the University Examinations, except those involving laboratory
practice, are held here, and the building is also available at times for
Professors' lectures.

The block of buildings of which the Examination Schools form the
principal part was completed in 1888 by the addition at the north-
east corner of a building containing offices for the Delegacy of Non-
Collegiate Students and rooms for the use of the Students themselves,
and offices for the Delegacy of the Oxford and Cambridge Schools
Examination.

Mr. T. G. Jackson was the architect, and Messrs Parnell and Son of
Eugby were the builders, of this building.



96 INSTITUTIONS.



The Indian Institute.

This building, situate al the oomer of Broad Street and Holywell
Street, was erected in 1882-4 by Messrs. Symm & Co., of Oxford,
from the designs of the architect, Basil Champneys, B.A., Cambridge.
The memorial-stone was laid on May 2, 1883, by the Prince of
Wales, in the presence of the Chancellor of the University, the Secre-
tin of State for India, and many other distinguished personages, and
the building was opened at the commencement of Michaelmas Term,
L886. Sib Monies Monieb-Williams, M. A., Hon. D.C.L., Fellow

of Balliol College and Boden Professor of Sanskrit, through whose ex-
ertions chiefly the funds for the erection of the building were raised,
has been appointed Keeper and Perpetual Curator.



97



UNIVERSITY SERMONS AND PREACHERS.

Sermons are preached before the University, two on each Sunday,
in full Term ; one on Christmas Day, Good Friday, Ascension Day,
Lady Day, and the Festivals of St. Mark, of St. John Baptist, of
St. Philip and St. James. There is also a Sermon at the several
Assizes, and one in Latin, with the Litany and Holy Communion, at
the beginning of Michaelmas, Hilary, and Easter Terms.

With certain exceptions specified below, the order of preaching is as
follows.

1. The morning Sermons on Sundays in Term fall to the Dean and
Canons of Christ Church, the Heads of Colleges, the five Divinity Pro-
fessors, and the Professor of Hebrew, in the following order, which
however the preachers are at liberty to vary by exchanging turns
among themselves : —

Christ Church Trinity University

Magdalen Christ Church Exeter

New College Brasenose Christ Church

Christ Church Oriel Balliol

All Souls Regius Prof. Div. Jesus

Merton Margaret Prof. Div. Christ Church

Christ Church Regius Prof. Hebrew Pembroke

Corpus Christ Church "Worcester

Queen's "Wadham Regius Prof. Past. Theology

Christ Church Lincoln Regius Prof. Eccl. Hist.

St. John's Christ Church Prof. Exeg. Script.

2. The other Sermons fall to Graduates in the order in which they
were admitted to Regency as Masters of Arts or to the degree of Bachelor
of Civil Law.

To these two rales the exceptions are as follow : —

1. The morning Sermons on Sundays in Lent belong to the second
order above stated, not to the first ; the Bampton Lecture Sermons,
mentioned below r , are delivered in the morning ; the preachers on the
mornings of Quinquagesima Sunday and the last Sunday after Trinity
(on each of which days by a special benefaction a Sermon is preached
from one of a limited number of texts upon Humility or upon Pride),
of Whitsun Day, and of the Sunday before the Encaenia, are appointed
by the Vice-Chancellor ; the morning Sermon on Trinity Sunday is
preached by a preacher appointed by New College ; and, if any of the
festivals mentioned in the next sentence or an Assize Sermon fall on
a Sunday, the exception in that case applies to the morning Sermon.

2. The Vice-Chancellor appoints the preacher for the afternoon of
every Sunday in Lent 1 in full Term, of Whitsun Day, of Trinity Sun-
day (when by a special benefaction a Sermon is preached " upon Church
Extension over the Colonies and Dependencies of the British Empire "),

1 On one of the afternoons in Lent a Sermon, for which there is a special benefaction,
is preached upon the Jewish Interpretation of Prophecy.

G



08



SELECT rREACIIERS.



and of flu' Sunday before the Enoaenia, and for the Assizes: the Ser-
mons on Christinas Pay, Good Friday, and Ascension Day fall to the
Dean of Christ Church; the Sermon on Lady Day is preached by a
preacher nominated by New College, the Sermons on the festivals of
St. Mark and of St John Baptist by Fellows of Magdalen, and the
Sermon on the festival of St. Philip and St. James by a Fellow of
Merton.

Each person receives two months' notice of his torn; if he decline
to preach, no one but a Select Preacher can be his substitute. No
person may preach before the University without the approval of the
Yic


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 10 of 24)