University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 20 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 20 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1723 Joseph Hunt
1726 Theophilus Leigh
1785 John Daw
1798 John Parsons
ISl'.t Richard .leiikyns

1854 Robert Scott

1870 Benjamin Jowktt.

are either unknown or douhtfuL



176



III. MERTON COLLEGE.

This College, originally called the House of Scholars of Morton, was
founded in the year 1264, at Maiden in Surrey, by Walter de Merton,
sometime Chancellor of England, and afterwards Bishop of Rochester.
The first body of Statutes was given by the Founder in 1264, the third
and last in 1274, in which year the House of the Scholars was removed
to Oxford.

Subsequent benefactors were — in 1380, John Wyllyott, D.D., Chan-
cellor of Exeter, who vested his Estates in the College for the main-
tenance of Portionistse, since called Post-Masters ; in 1604, John
Chamber, Fellow of Eton, Cauon of Windsor, who left moneys for the
maintenance of two Post-Masters and one Fellow, to be elected from
Foundationers of Eton ; in 1753, Henry Jackson, sometime M.A. of
this College, and afterwards Minon Canon of St. Paul's, who founded
certain Exhibitions.

Under the new Statutes made by the University of Oxford Commis-
sioners in 1881, the number of Fellowships with emolument is not to
be less than nineteen and may be raised to twenty-six. Subject to
certain reservations, these Fellowships are tenable for seven years.
Most of them are awarded upon the results of an examination, but the
College is empowered, within certain limits, to elect without examina-
tion any Professor or Public Eeader in the University ; any person of
eminence in Literature, Science, or Art, who shall undertake literary,
scientific, or educational work; and any person who has been appointed
to act as Bursar, Tutor, or Lecturer of the College.

The number of Postmasterships, or Scholarships, is eighteen, but
may be increased. Provision is made for their being assigned, in a
definite rotation, to Classics, Mathematics, and Natural Science re-
spectively. Their annual value is ^80, inclusive of rooms anel all
allowances. They are tenable for two years from the day of election,
but may be renewed for a further period of two years, if the Warden
and Fellows, after receiving a report from the Tutors, shall declare
themselves satisfied with the Postmaster's industry and good conduct.
Under special circumstances, they may be again extended for one year



MERTON.



177



longer. No person is eligible to a Postmastership who lias exceeded
the age of nineteen on the day of election.

Two of these Postmasterships, being Chambers Postmastorships, are
reserved to Candidates educated at Eton College, if any shall present
themselves " of sufficient merit for election."

There are also four Exhibitions of £60 a-year, to which persons
are eligible Avithout restriction of age. These are awarded after the
same examinations and under the same conditions as the Postmaster-
ships.

There is also an Exhibition Fund, whichMs formed for the purpose
of assisting poor students and of promoting study among the Under-
graduate Members of the College.

On the resignation of the last Principal of St. Alban Hall in 1882,
that institution (said to date from the early part of the fifteenth cen-
tury) became, by virtue of a Statute made by the University of Oxford
Commissioners in 1881, united with Merton College, in which its pro-
perty, site, and buildings are now vested.



WARDENS.
1272 Peter de Abendon, alias Lakyng
1286 Richard Warblysdon
1295 John de la More
1299 John Wanting
1328 Robert Treng
1351 William Durant
1375 John Bloxham
1387 John Wendover
1398 Edmund Beekyngham

1416 Thomas Rodborne

1417 Robert Gilbert
1421 Henry de Abendon
1438 EliasHolcot

1455 Henry Sever, or Sewer
1471 John Gygur
1483 Richard Fitzjames

1507 Thomas Harpur

1508 Richard Rawlyns
1521 Rowland Philipps
1525 John Chamber
1544 Henry Tyndall



1545 Thomas Raynolds
1559 James Gervays

1562 John Man

1569 Thomas Bickley

1585 Henrv Savile

1621 Nathaniel Brent

1(545 William Harvey

1646 Nathaniel Brent again

1651 Jonathan Goddard

1660 Edward Reynolds

1661 Sir Thomas Clayton
1693 Richard Lydall
1704 Edmund Marten
1709 John Holland

1734 Robert Wyntle

1750 John Robinson

1759 Henry Barton

1790 Scrope Berdmore

1810 Peter Vauifhan

1826 Robert Bulloek-Marsham

1881 Hoii.George Chakles Bkodt-.hk.



M



178




IV. EXETER COLLEGE.

This College was founded by Walter de Stapledon, Bishop of Exeter.
in 1316 ; and was incorporated by charter of Queen Elizabeth in 1565,
under the name of Exeter College in the University of Oxford ; and
enlarged by a second endowment given in that year by Sir William
Petre, Knight.

There are at present twelve Fellowships, including the Chaplain
Fellowship.

There are twenty-one or more Foundation Scholarships : of these,
eight (called Stapledon Scholarships) are limited to persons born or
educated in the old Diocese of Exeter, and either one or two (called King-
Charles the First's Scholarships) to persons born in any of the Channel
Islands, or educated at Victoria College, Jersey, or Elizabeth College,
Guernsey. The rest of the Scholarships are open. Four are usually
awarded for proficiency in Mathematics, and four for proficiency in
Natural Science. The College exercises the power of adding to the
number of Open Scholarships.

The Stapledon Scholarships are of the value of not less than ,£60 a
year ; the remainder of £80.

If no duly qualified candidates present themselves for the limited
Scholarships, these also may for the time be thrown open.

The election to the Open Scholarships usually takes place in Hilary
Term. Candidates for all the above-mentioned Scholarships must be
under nineteen years of age.

There is also a Scholarship founded by Mr. George Eedsull Carter of
the value of £80 a year, for which persons born in the County of Kent
who are already members of the College have a preference cssteris paribus
over other candidates. Subject to this reservation the Carter Scholar-
ship is open.

Two Scholarships, each of the value of £80 a year, have been founded
by Miss Marianne Frances Hasker, " for the advancement of sound
learning and for the encouragement of the study of Theology by persons
intending to take Holy Orders." These Scholarships are open to all
persons born British subjects who need assistance at the University.



EXETER.



179



There are various Exhibitions in the gift of the College. Of these,
two have the same limitation as King Charles the First's Scholarships,
two (How) are limited to sons of clergymen with preference for the
Founder's kin, or, in default of these, for sons of clergymen resident in
the County of Somerset or of Devon ; one (GifTord) is limited in the
first instance to Candidates educated at Ashburton School; two (Symes
and Michell) are restricted to students of Divinity who are of not less
than two terms' standing in the University ; one (Richards) to persons
already members of the College. The other Exhibitions are open.
and are awarded for proficiency in Classics and in the various subjects
of the Final Schools. The College has power to add to the number < if
Open Exhibitions.

There is no limitation of age for the Carter or Hasker Scholarships
or for the Exhibitions. Candidates for any Exhibition must be in nee I
of assistance at the University.



PERPETUAL RECTORS, the office

HAVING BEEN' ANNUAL BEFORE.



1566
1570

1578
1592
1612
1642
1649
1662
1666



John Neale
Robert Newton
Thomas Glasier
Thomas Holland
John Prideaux
George Hakewill
John Conant
Joseph Maynard
Arthur Bury



1690 William Paynter



1716 Matthew Hole

1730 John Convbeare

1733 Joseph Atwell

1737 James Edgcumbe

1750 Francis Webber

1771 Thomas Bray

1785 Thomas Stinton

1797 Henry Richards

1808 John Cole

1819 John Collier Jones

1838 Joseph Loscombe Richards

1854 'John Prideaux Lightfoot

1887 William Walrond Jackson.



ii 2



180




V. ORIEL COLLEGE.

This College was founded by Edward II. in 1326, on the suggestion
of Adam de Brome, his almoner, for a Provost and ten Fellows. The
number of Fellowships was subsequently increased to eighteen by
various benefactions. Four were founded by John Frank, Master of
the Bolls, who died A.D. 1441 ; one by John Carpenter, Bishop of
Worcester, about the year 1476 ; one by William Smyth, Bishop of
Lincoln, 1507 ; and two by Richard Dudley, Chancellor of the Church
of Salisbury, 1529. Queen Anne annexed to the Provostship a Canonry
of Rochester, which was afterwards severed from it under Statutes
made by the University Commissioners of 1877, and is now annexed
to the Oriel Professorship of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture.

Several Exhibitions and Scholarships were founded in this College
by different Benefactors : viz. six, of inconsiderable value, by Richard
Dudley, above mentioned ; three by Dr. Robinson, Bishop of London,
1718 ; four under the Will of Henry, Duke of Beaufort, 1744 ; two
under that of Mrs. Ludwell, 1761 ; one (the Rutland Exhibition), by
the Rev. Richard Twopeny, 1838 ; and two under the Will of Dr.
Ireland, Dean of Westminster, 1842.

By Statutes made by the Commissioners under the Universities Act
1877 the number of Fellows (exclusive of Professor Fellows) was
reduced to twelve. The Regius Professor of Modern History and the
Oriel Professor of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture are Professor
Fellows.

Under the same Statutes there are at least ten Scholarships and
four Exhibitions, called the Exhibitions of Adam de Brome, tenable
for four years (which may be extended for special reasons to five
years) ; the value of each of these Scholarships and Exhibitions (during
residence) being £S0 per annum. Candidates for the Exhibitions
must be deserving persons in need of support at the University ; to
a Scholarship no one is eligible who has attained the age of nineteen
years.

There are also nine Exhibitions besides those last above named, an' 1
two Bible Clerkships.



ORIEL.



181



PROVOSTS.

Adam de Brome

"William de Leverton

William de Hawkesworth

William de Daveutrie
1373 Johnde Colvntre
1386 John de Middleton

John de Maldon

John de Possell

William de Corffe

Thomas de Leintwarden
1420 Henry Kayle '
1425 Nicholas Herry
1430 John Carpenter
1443 Walter Lyhert, le Hart, or Hart
1446 JolmHalse
1449 Henry Sampson
1476 Thomas Hawkyns
1479 John Taylor
1493 Thomas Cornish
1507 Edmund Wylsford



1326
1332
1347
1349



1394
1402
1410
1415



1516 James More

1530 Thomas Ware

1538 Henry Myime

1540 William ilnynea

1550 John Smyth

1565 Roarer Marbeck

1566 John Belly

1573 Anthony Blencowe

1618 William Lewis

1621 JohnTolson

1644 John Saunders

1653 Robert Say

1691 George Royse

1708 George Carter

1727 Walter Hodges

1757 Chardin Musgrave

1768 John Clarke

1781 John Eveleigh

1814 Edward Copleston

1828 Edward Hawkins

1882 David Bixxixg Moneo.



182




VI. THE QUEEN'S COLLEGE.

Founded in 1340, 0. S., by Eobert Eglesfield, Chaplain to Philippa,
Queen of Edward III, from whom it is called the Queen's College.

Under the new Statutes (1882) the College consists of a Provost, from
fourteen to sixteen Fellows, about twenty-five Scholars (of whom four or
five, to be called Eglesfield Scholars, are, if suitable candidates present
themselves, to be natives of Cumberland or "Westmoreland), and two
Bible-Clerks.

An additional Scholarship was founded in 1866 by the Eev. Sir E. B.
Jodrell, Bart., M.A., of the College, in memory of his father.

The Hastings Exhibitions are open to candidates from the schools of
Carlisle and St. Bees in Cumberland, Appleby and Heversham in West-
moreland, Bradford, Don caster, Giggleswick, Leeds, Eichmond, Eipon,
Sedbergh, Wakefield, and York, in Yorkshire.

There are also Exhibitions in the gift of the College, (Fitzgerald)
for natives of Middlesex, (Thanet) for boys from Appleby School,
(Fox) for natives of Cumberland and Westmoreland educated at
St. Bees School, (Dixon) for natives of Whitehaven, (Wilson) for boys
from Kirkby Lonsdale and Kendal schools, besides others of smaller
value.

The Tylney Exhibitioner is nominated by the owner of Tylney Hall ;
the Thomas Exhibitions, for sons or orphans of clergymen in the Diocese
of Carlisle, and the Berry Exhibitions, for sons of clergy in the
Diocese of Manchester, are in the gift of Trustees, of whom the
Provost is one.



PROVOSTS.
1340 Richard de Eetteford

William de Muskani, or Mus-
ehampe
1350 John de Hotham
1361? Henry de Whitfelde
1377 Thomas de Carlile
1404 Roger Whelpdale, or Quelpdale
1421 Walter Bell
1426 Rowland Bires, or del Byrys



1432 Thomas de Eglesfeld
1442 William Spenser
1460 John Peyrson, or Pereson
1483 Henry Boost, or Bost
1487 Thomas Langton
1495 Christopher Bainbrigg
1508 Edward Rigge
1515 John a Pantry, or Pantre
1534 William Devenysh, Denyse, or
Dennyson



QUEENS.


1559 Hugh Hodgson


1677 Timothy Halton


1561 Thomas Francis


1704 William Lancaster


1563 Lancelot Shawe


1717 John Gibson


1565 Alan Scot


1730 Joseph Smith


1575 Bartholomew Bousfield


1756 Joseph Browne


1581 Henry Kohinson


1767 Thomas Fothergill


1599 Henry Airav


1796 Septimus Collin* m
1827 John Fox


1616 Barnabaa I 'otter


1626 Christopher Potter


1855 William Thomson


1646 Gerard Langbaine


1862 William Jackson


1658 Thomas Barlow


1878 John Riciiahd Mag bath



183



L84




VII. NEW COLLEGE.

This College was founded by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Win-
chester, and sometime Lord High Chancellor of England, under a
Charter of Eichard the Second, dated 30th June, 1379, and a Deed of
Foundation dated 26th November, 1379, for a Warden, seventy Fellows
and Scholars, ten Chaplains, three Clerks, and sixteen Choristers.

Lender Statutes made by the Oxford University Commissioners in
1881, and approved by the Queen in Council, May 3, 1882, the Fellow-
ships hereafter are to be divided into three classes, viz. Professor
Fellowships, Tutorial Fellowships, and Ordinary Fellowships.

The Professor Fellowships are to be five in number, and are to be
annexed to the Savilian Professorships of Geometry and Astronomy :
the Professorship of Logic ; a Professorship of Ancient History ; and
a Professorship of Physics ; and the holders of the last three Professor-
ships are to be called Wykeham Professors.

The Tutorial Fellowships are to be so many, not exceeding ten, in
number, as the Warden and Fellows may deem necessary.

The Ordinary Fellowships are to be not less than fourteen in number,
nor more than will make up the whole number of Fellowships to
thirty-six, including any Fellowship to which a Bursar may have been
elected.

So soon as the revenues of the College will permit, two Ordinary
Fellowships (called respectively Winchester and Open Fellowships) are
to be filled up annually by competition. One of these is to be open to
all persons who shall have been educated for at least two years in the
School of Winchester College, or have been for at least twelve Terms
members of New College ; the other is to be open to all persons who
shall have passed all the Examinations required by the University for
the Degree of B.A.

The Scholarships are divided into two Classes, respectively called
Winchester Scholarships and Open Scholarships.

The Winchester Scholarships are so many as will enable the War-
den and Fellows to elect to six such Scholarships in each year, from
the boys receiving education in the School of Winchester College ;



NEW COLLEGE.



185



no distinction being made between members of the foundation of Win-
chester College and boys not members thereof.

The Open Scholarships are to be so many as will enable the Warden
and Fellows to elect to four Open Scholarships in each year.

No Candidate is eligible to an Open Scholarship whose age on the day
of election shall exceed nineteen years.

The emoluments of a Scholarship, inclusive of rooms and all allow-
ances, if any, are to be


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20 22 23 24

Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 20 of 24)