University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 21 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 21 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


granting of Exhibitions of such amount, and for such periods, and to
such persons, being in need of support at the University and otherwise
deserving, whether members of the College or not, as the President and
Fellows, or electors appointed by them for that purpose, shall think fit.

The constitution of the Choir remains unaltered.



PRESIDENTS.
1 148 John Horley, r Bornley
1 168 William Tybard

1480 Richard Mayew
1504 John Glaymond
1516 John Hygden
1525 Laurence Stubbs
1528 Thomas Knolles
1.",:'/. Owen Oglethorpe

1552 Walter Haddon

1553 Owen Oglethorpe again
1555 Arthur Cole

1558 Thomas Coveney
laid Lawrence Humphrey
1590 Nicholas Bond
160S John Harding
1610 William Langton
1626 Accepted Frewen
1644 John Oliver



1648 John Wilkinson
1650 Thomas Goodwyn

1660 John Oliver restored

1661 Thomas Pierce
1672 Henry Clerk
1687 John Hough

1687 Samuel Parker

1688 Bonaventure Gifford
1688 John Hough restored
1701 John Rogers

1704 Thomas Bayley

1706 Joseph Harwar

1722 Edward Butler

1745 Thomas Jenner

1768 George Home

1791 Martin Joseph Routh

1855 Frederic Bulley

1885 Thomas Herbert Warren.



191




XI. THE KING'S HALL AND COLLEGE OF BBASENOSE.

Founded in 1509, by the joint benefaction of William Smith,
Bishop of Lincoln, and Sir Eichard Sutton, Knight, of Prestbury, in
Cheshire, for a Principal and twelve Fellows.

Eight Fellowships were afterwards added ; viz. two by the Will of
John Williamson, Eector of St. George's, Canterbury, in 1522 ; one by
John Elton, alias Baker, Canon of Salisbury, in 1528 ; one by William
Porter, Clerk, in 1541 ; one, in 1538, by Edward Darbie, Archdeacon
of Stow ; one, in 1538, by William Clyfton, Sub-Dean of York ; one,
in 1549, by Brian Higden, Dean of York ; one, in 1586, by Joyce
Frankland, of London, widow.

Scholarships and Exhibitions were added at different times by
various benefactors ; the chief of whom are, John Claymond, D.D",
President of Corpus Christ! College ; John Lord Mordaunt ; Alexander
Nowell, Dean of St. Paul's ; Samuel Eadcliffe, D.D., Principal of the
College ; Thomas Yate, D.D., Principal of the College ; William
Grimbaldson, M.D. ; and Sarah, Duchess Dowager of Somerset, who
founded eighteen Scholarships for persons educated at the Schools of
Manchester, Marlborough, and Hereford, and also four Scholarships
restricted to the first of the above-named Schools, all at present tenable
for tive years, unless vacated by other preferment. In failure of candi-
dates properly qualified from the Schools, these Scholarships are now
opened to general competition.

At least ,£'900 a-year is charged on the corporate revenues of the
College for the endowment of Open Scholarships of the annual value
of £'80, tenable in the first instance for two years and renewable for
a like period. Their tenure may be extended under special circum-
stances to a fifth year.

William Hulme, Esq., of Kearsley, in the county of Lancaster,
founded, in 1691, four Exhibitions, now increased to twenty under
a scheme framed by the Charity Commissioners and approved by the
Queen in Council, August 26, 1881. Twelve are called Junior Exhi-
bitions, and are awarded after a competitive examination. They are
of the annual value of ,£80, tenable in Brasenose College for four years,
and open to Candidates of not more than twenty years of age.



192



BRASENOSE.



Eight are called Senior Exhibitions, and are awarded in ordinary

s, after competitive examination, to Members of the College who

have resided for not less than six nor more than twelve Terms, and

who have been placed in the Honour List at Moderations. Their

annual value is to be ,£130, and they are tenable for four years.

In 1842, three Exhibitions, called the Colquitt Clerical Exhibi-
tions, were founded by the three Misses Colquitt, of Green Bank, in
the county of Lancaster. These Exhibitions, which are of the value
of £4:0 per annum, are intended to assist in the education for the
Ministry in the Church of England, according to its Articles and
Liturgy, of the sons of indigent or deceased Clergymen, or of such
Laymen as cannot, unaided, support the expenses of a College educa-
tion. Undergraduate Members of Brasenose, who have resided at least
one Term, are eligible, and the Exhibitions are not tenable after four
years from Matriculation.

In 1875, an Open Classical Scholarship, of the value of £100 per
annum, was founded by Mrs. Jane Robinson in memory of her brother
the Eev. John Watson, M.A., sometime Fellow of the College.



PRINCIPALS.


1710 Robert Shippen


1510 Matthew Smyth


1745 Francis Yarborough


1548 John Hawarden


1770 William Gwyn


1565 Thomas Blanchard


1770 Palph Cawley


1574 Richard Harry?


1777 Thomas Barker


1595 Alexander Xowell


1785 William Cleaver


1595 Thomas Singleton


1809 Frodsham Hodson


1614 Sanmel Badcliffe


1822 Ashhurst Turner Gilbert


1648 Thomas Yate


1842 Richard Harington


1648 Daniel Greenwood


1853 Edward Hartopp Cradock


1660 Thomas Yate restored


1886 Albert Watsox.


1681 John Meare





193




XII. COEPUS CHEISTI COLLEGE.

This College was founded in the year 1516, by Richard Fox, Bishop
of Winchester and Lord Privy Seal, for a President, three Professors
(whose lectures were to be open to the University at large), twenty
Fellows, twenty Scholars, two Chaplains, two Clerks and two Choristers.
The Clerks and Choristers were subsequently designated Exhibitioners.

When the provisions of the Statutes made by the University of
Oxford Commissioners in 1881 have been fully carried out, it will con-
sist of a President, five Professorial Fellows, five or six Official Fellows,
three Extraordinary Fellows, fourteen Ordinary Fellows, and thirty-six
Scholars. The Professorial Fellowships will be annexed respectively to
the Chairs of Latin, Jurisprudence, Moral Philosophy, Comparative
Philology, and the Eomance Languages.

The College at present consists of a President, fourteen Fellows, two
of whom are Professorial Fellows, and twenty-five Scholars. The pro-
ceeds of one Fellowship are added to the stipend of the present Professor
of Chinese.

The Scholarships are of the annual value of ,£'80, and are tenable,
under certain conditions, for four or five years from Matriculation.

Exhibitions, instituted by the President and Fellows, are competed
for from time to time by Commoners of the College.





PRESIDENTS.


1640 Robert Newlin


1517


John Claymond


1648 Edmund Staunton


1537


Robert Morwent


1660 Robert Newlin restored


1558


William Cheadsey


16S8 Thomas Turner


1559


William Bocher, or Butcher


1714 Basil Kennett


1562


Thomas Greneway


1715 John Mather


1568


William Cole


1748 Thomas Randolph


1598


John Rainolds


1783 John Cooke


1607


John Spenser


1823 Thomas Edward Bridges


1614


Thomas Anyan


1843 James Norris


1629


John Holt


1872 John Matthias Wilson


1631


Thomas Jackson


1881 Thomas Fowleu.



N



194




XIII. CHRIST CHURCH.

This Society, founded originally by Cardinal Wolsey, Cardinal of
St. Cecilia and Archbishop of York, on the site of the Priory of St.
Frideswide, was to have consisted of a Dean, Sub-Dean, one hundred
Canons, ten Public Readers, thirteen Chaplains, an Organist, twelve
Clerks, and thirteen Choristers.

This imperfect Foundation continued only from 1526 to 1529, when,
before its completion, the Cardinal having fallen into disgrace, King
Henry VIII. suspended the Foundation, which he re-established in
1532, under the name of Henry the Eighth's College, for a Dean and
twelve Canons. This was again suppressed in 1545 ; and in the year
following the Episcopal See was removed from Osney to this College,
and the Church of St. Frideswide was constituted a Cathedral, by the
name of the Cathedral Church of Christ in Oxford, for the maintenance
of a Dean, eight Canons, eight Chaplains, a Schoolmaster, an Organist,
eight Clerks, and eight Choristers ; together with one hundred Stu-
dents ; to which number one more was added in 1664, in consequence
of a Benefaction from William Thurstone, Esq.

The House is now governed by Statutes made by the University of
Oxford Commissioners, which became law in 1882.

Under these Statutes, there is a body of Students (equivalent to
Fellows) who are divided into two classes, Official and Non-Official.

There is also a body of Scholars. Of these, three are elected each
year from Westminster School, and hold their places, in the first in-
stance, for two years ; but at the end of this period their tenure may
be extended for three years more if the Governing Body shall have
declared itself satisfied with their industry and good conduct.

There are also five or six Open Scholarships offered for competition
every year, one at least for proficiency in Mathematics, one at least
for proficiency in Natural Science, and one at least for proficiency in
Modern History. These Scholars hold their places for two years ; but
at the end of this period their tenure may be extended for a second
term of two years if the Governing Body shall have declared itself
satisfied with their industry and good conduct ; and again for a further
term of one year, under similar conditions and for special reasons.



CHRIST CHURCH.



195



Besides these, two Scholars are elected each year from among Under-
graduate Members of the House who have been in residence for at least
three Terms and have the leave of the Dean to compete. These
Scholars hold their places, in the first instance, to the end of their
sixteenth Term from Matriculation, but at the end of this period,
under special circumstances, their tenure may be extended for one
year more.

All these Scholarships are of the annual value of i?80, inclusive of
all allowances.

In addition to these Scholarships the Governing Body may, if they
think fit, award to any selected candidate for the Indian Civil Service
a Scholarship tenable during residence with emoluments not exceeding
,£50 a year : such Scholarships are never to exceed six at any one
time.

There are Open Exhibitions of ,£45 a-year, together with tuition
and dinner free, tenable in the first instance for two years, at the end
of which time they may be extended by the Governing Body in the
same way and under the same conditions as the Open Scholarships ;
and also Exhibitions of less amount. Candidates before being allowed
to compete for these must satisfy the Dean that without such assistance
they cannot maintain themselves at College. There is no other limi-
tation.

Four Fell Exhibitions of £4:0 a-year, tenable for four years during
continuous residence, are filled up by competition among Commoners
of the House who have resided not less than three Terms.

The Slade Exhibition of ,£30 for one year is open to any not yet
matriculated.

The Careswell Exhibitions are filled up by examinations holden each
year at either Shrewsbury School or one of five other Schools in Salop,
and are tenable under certain conditions for ten years. The House
awards four smaller College Exhibitions among the Careswell Exhibi-
tioners if they are qualified under the conditions stated above for the
Open Exhibitions.



DEANS.

1532 John Hygden, who had also been

Dean of Cardinal Wolsey's
foundation in 1524

1533 John Oliver
1546 Richard Coxe
1553 Richard Martiall
1559 George Carew
1561 Thomas Sampson
1565 Thomas Godwyn
1567 Thomas Cowper
1570 John Piers

1576 TobyMathew
1584 William James
1594 Thomas Ravys
1605 John King
1611 William Goodwyn
1620 Richard Corbet
1629 Brian Duppa
1638 Samuel Fell



1648 Edward Reynolds

1651 John Owen

1660 Edward Reynolds again

1660 JohnMorley

1660 John Fell

1686 JohnMaesey

1689 Henry Aldrich

1711 Francis Atterbury

1713 George Smalridge

1719 Hugh Boulter

1724 William Bradshaw

1733 John Conybeare

1756 David Gregory

1767 William Markham

1777 Lewis Bagot

1783 Cyril Jackson

1809 Charles Henry Hall

1824 Samuel Smith

1831 Thomas Gaisford

1855 Henby Geoiuje Liddell.



N 2



196




XIV. TEINITY COLLEGE.



This College was originally founded and endowed by Edward the
Third, Richard the Second, and the Priors and Bishops of Durham.
As it was under the patronage of the latter, it obtained the name of
Durham College, though dedicated from the beginning to the Holy
Trinity, Our Lady, and St. Cuthbert.

Being merged with Religious Houses at the Reformation, it was
suppressed ; and Sir Thomas Pope, Knt., of Tittenhanger in Hertford-
shire, having purchased the site and buildings, began and endowed
a new Foundation, in 1554, for a President, twelve Fellows, and
twelve Scholars. The Fellowships and Scholarships (of which there
may now be sixteen) are entirely open.

There is also a Scholarship, nearly coeval with Sir Thomas Pope's
foundation, founded by Richard Blount, Esq., of the city of London,
who was connected by marriage with the Founder. The Henniker
Scholarship was founded in the year 1867, by Aldborough Henniker,
Esq., of Calcote, Somerset.

An Exhibition, called the Unton Pension, was given by Thomas
Unton, Clerk, of Drayton, in Shropshire, in 1693 ; a second, called the
Tylney Exhibition, by Frederick Tylney, Esq., of the county of Hants,
in the year 1720 ; and a third by Edward Cobden, D.D., Arch-
deacon of London, in 1784. There are other Exhibitions in the gift
of the College.

In 1873 the College received a legacy under the Will of Thomas
Millard, Esq., who directed the income to be applied so as to advance
Mathematical and General Science in the College.



PRESIDENTS.

1556 Thomas Slythurst
1559 Arthur Yeldard
1599 Ralph Kettel
1643 Hannibal Potter
1648 Robert Harris

1658 William Hawes

1659 Seth Ward

1660 Hannibal Potter restored
1664 Ralph Bathurst



1704 Thomas Svkes

1706 William Dobson

1731 George Huddesford

1776 Joseph Chapman

1808 Thomas Lee

1824 James Ingram

1850 John Wilson

1866 Samuel William Wayte

1878 John Pereival

1887 Henry George Woods.



197




XV. ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE.

This College was founded in 1555, by Sir Thomas White, Knt.,
Alderman of London. The original foundation consisted of a Presi-
dent, fifty Fellows and Scholars, one Chaplain, an Organist, six Singing
Men, eight Choristers, and two Sextons.

Under the Statutes made by the University of Oxford Commissioners
of 1877, the foundation will hereafter consist of —

1. Not less than fourteen nor more than eighteen Fellowships, of
which seven may be Official Fellowships, the rest tenable for seven
years. To these may, at future times, be added two ex officio Fellow-
ships, to be held by the Laudian Professor of Arabic and the Professor
of Mechanics and Civil Engineering.

2. Not less than twenty-eight Scholarships, of which six shall be
open, fifteen appropriated to Merchant Taylors' School, two to Coventry
School, two to Bristol School, two to Eeading School, and one to
Tunbridge School.

3. Four Senior Scholarships, also confined to former pupils of
Merchant Taylors' School.

There is also one Open Scholarship, created from the estate of William
Lambe by Statute 35 & 36 Yict. c. cliv.

In 1854, four Fellowships tenable for fourteen years were established
in this College in pursuance of the Will of Dudley Fereday, Esq., of
Ettingshall Park, Staffordshire. They are open, with certain limita-
tions and under certain conditions in respect of literary proficiency, first,
to the kindred of the Founder ; secondly, to natives of Staffordshire ; and
in case of a Founder's kin or Staffordshire candidate not satisfying the
conditions, then to any other person whatsoever.

Under the Will of the Rev. John Thomas Casberd, D.C.L., Prebendary
of Llandaff, four Scholarships were founded, each of the value of
,£80 per annum. Candidates to be Undergraduates not on any founda-
tion, of at least one year's standing in the College.



198



ST. JOHN S.



PRESIDENTS.

1555 Alexander Belsire

15.7.) William Klye

1563 William Stocke, or Stocker

1564 John Robinson
1672 Toby Mathew
ir.77 Francis Wvllis
1890 Ralph Entchenson
1605 John Buekeridge
1611 William Laud
1621 William Juxon
1633 Richard Baylie
1648 Francis Cheynell



1650 Thankful or Gracious Owen

1660 Richard Baylie restored

1667 Peter Mews, or Meaux

1673 William Levinz

16i JS William Delaune

1728 William Holmes

1748 William Derham

1757 William Walker

1757 Thomas Fry

1772 Samuel Dennis

1795 Michael Marlow

1828 Philip Wynter

1871 James Bellamy.



199




XVI. JESUS COLLEGE.

Founded by Queen Elizabeth, in 1571, on the petition of Hugh
Price, LL.D., Treasurer of St. David's, who left lands for the mainten-
ance of a Principal, eight Fellows, and eight Scholars : it was increased
by different Benefactors, so that the Society consisted of a Principal,
nineteen Fellows, and eighteen Scholars.

The College now consists of a Principal and not fewer than ten nor
more than fourteen Fellows.

In the elections to Non-official Fellowships, unless one-half of the
whole number of Fellows would have been eligible under the terms
of the following restrictions, no person is eligible unless he be a native
of Wales or Monmouthshire, or has been a Welsh Scholar of Jesus
College, or, having been at the time of his Matriculation eligible to a
Welsh Scholarship, has been for the eight Terms preceding his Degree
of Bachelor of Arts a member of the College.

There are twenty-four Foundation Scholarships, of which twelve are
open without restriction as to place of birth. There are also four
Meyricke Scholarships, and one King Charles the First's Scholarship,
and about sixteen Meyricke Exhibitions, and two King Charles the
First's Exhibitions.

The King Charles the First's Scholarship and Exhibitions are re-
stricted to Candidates born in Jersey or Guernsey or one of the islands
adjacent to them, or educated for two out of the three years last
preceding the election either at Victoria College, Jersey, or Elizabeth
College, Guernsey.

The other Scholarships and the Meyricke Scholarships and Exhibi-
tions are restricted to candidates who are either (1) natives of Wales
or Monmouthshire ; or (2) sons of parents who have been resident in
Wales or Monmouthshire for a period of not less than seven years im-
mediately preceding the day of election ; or (3) have a knowledge of
and are able to speak the Welsh language ; or (4) have been educated
for the three years last preceding the election (or last preceding their
Matriculation if already Members of the University) at a school or
schools in Wales or Monmouthshire ; if any such person be found of



200



jests.



sufficient merit, and fit to be a Scholar or Exhibitioner of the College
in the judgment of the electors. There is also an Exhibition founded
by subscription in memory of Mr. Assheton Smith, limited to natives
of Carnarvonshire ; and another founded by Mr. Thomas Phillips, for
a pupil from Llandovery School.

The Foundation Scholarships are open only to Candidates under
nineteen years of age. There is no restriction as to age for candi-
dates for the other Scholarships or for Exhibitions.

Exhibitions of variable amount and tenure, for the assistance of such
members of the College receiving instruction under the direction of
the College as the Principal and Fellows may deem to be in need of
assistance at the University, are under no farther restrictions.

The value of a Scholarship is £S0 a-year and of an Exhibition ,£50.



PRINCIPALS.

1571 David Lewes

1572 Griffith or Griffin Lloyd
1586 Francis Bevana

1602 John Williams

1613 Griffith Powell

1620 Francis Mansell

1621 Sir Enhule Thelwall
1630 Francis Mansell again
1648 Michael Roberts
1657 Francis Howell

1660 Francis Mansell restored

1661 Leoline Jenkins



1673 John Lloyd

1686 Jonathan Edwards

1712 John Wynne

1720 William Jones

1725 Eubule Thelwall

1727 Thomas Pardo

1763 Humphrey Owen

1768 Joseph Hoare

1802 David Hughes

1817 Henry Foulkes

1857 Charles Williams

1877 Hugo Daniel Harper.



201




XVII. WADHAM COLLEGE.

Founded by Nicholas Wadham, of Merifield in the county of
Somerset, Esquire, and Dorothy his wife, daughter of Sir William
Petre, to be a College of Students "ad laudem gloriam et honorem
Omnipotentis Dei, bonarum literarum incrementum, ac communem
hujus regni utilitatem."

The Society was founded in 1612, under Letters Patent granted by
King James I, and consisted originally of a Warden, fifteen Fellows,
fifteen Scholars, two Chaplains, and two Clerks. Under the present
Statutes, which were approved by the Queen in Council on May 3,
1882, there are to be not less than eight or more than ten Fellowships,
inclusive of one held by the Professor of Experimental Philosophy,
and of one for the encouragement of the study of Medicine, on the
foundation of John Wills, D.D., Warden 1788-1806.

There are eighteen Scholarships, including five on the foundation of
Humphrey Hody, D.D., Regius Professor of Greek 1698-1707, and
sometime Fellow.

The election to two of Dr. Hody's Scholarships is made after an ex-
amination in the Hebrew language and literature, and in the election
to the other three special regard is to be had to knowledge of Greek.

The Scholarships are of the value of ,£80 a-year. They are tenable
in the first instance for two years, but in the case of all Scholars whose
conduct and industry are satisfactory this term is prolonged to four
years, to which for special reasons a fifth may be added. Candidates
for Scholarships must be under nineteen years of age on the day of
election, except in the case of Dr. Hody's Scholarships for Hebrew,
for which the limit of age is twenty.

The election of Fellows takes place on the Wednesday after the
Encaenia ; the election of Scholars on the sixth of December.

From the income of Dr. Hody's fund prizes are to be given within
the College on such conditions as the Warden and Fellows may deter-
mine, for proficiency in the Greek language and literature, or in Greek
Archaeology.

There is a general Exhibition fund, formed from the funds given for



202



WADHAM.



Exhibitions by Mr. Goodridge, Mr. Pigot, Sir Benjamin Maddox,
liishop Lisle as Executor to Mr. Somerscales, ]\Ir. Warner, and Dr.
Gerard, with the residue of the income of Dr. Hody's Benefaction.

There are also two Exhibitions for Scholars of the Manchester
Grammar School, founded in 1874 by the executors of Mr. Philip
Wright of Manchester; and one for a Commoner of the College,
founded in 1877 by the will of Benjamin Parsons Symons, D.D.,
Warden 1831-71.



WARDENS.

1613 Robert Wripht

1613 John Flemmvng

1617 William Smyth

1635 Daniel Escott or Estcote

1644 JohnPvtt

1648 John Wilkins

1659 Walter Blandford

1665 Gilbert Ironside

1689 Thomas Dunster



1719 William Baker

1724 Robert Thistlethwayte

1739 Samuel Lisle

1744 George Wyndham

1777 James Gerard

1783 John Wills

1806 William Tournay

1831 Benjamin Parsons Symons

1871 John Griffiths

1881 George Earlam Thorley.



203



XVIII. PEMBEOKE COLLEGE.

This College, originally Broadgates Hall, was founded in the year
1624, by King James the First, at the costs and charges of Thomas
Tesdale, Esquire, of Glympton in Oxfordshire, and Bichard Wight-
wick, B.D., Eector of Ilsley, Berks, for a Master, ten Fellows, and ten
Scholars, or more or fewer ; and obtained its name from William
Herbert, Earl of Pembroke, who was Chancellor of the University
when it was founded.

Subsequent Benefactors were, King Charles I., Sir John Benet,
afterwards Lord Ossulstone, Sir John Phillips, Bart., Francis Wight-
wick, Esq., Mrs. Sophia Sheppard, Dame Juliana Stafford, the
Eeverend William Oades, George Townsend, Esq., the Eight Eeverend
George Morley, sometime Lord Bishop of Winchester, Francis Eous,
Esq., sometime Provost of Eton College, Edmund Boulter, Esq., Dame
Elizabeth Holford, Dr. Eatcliffe, sometime Master of the College, the
Eeverend William Phipps, M.A., sometime Scholar, and the Eeverend
Christopher Cleoburey, sometime Fellow.

A Scholarship was founded by subscription in 1861 in grateful com-
memoration of the Eeverend Thomas Frederick Henney, M.A., for
many years Vice-Gerent and Tutor of the College.

Queen Anne annexed a Canonry of Gloucester to the Mastership for
ever.

The constitution of the College by Statutes of the Commissioners
made in pursuance of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge Act,
1877, is now as follows : —

The College is to consist of a Master, of not less than ten Fellows,
and of not less than twelve Scholars.

Two of the Fellows are styled Sheppard Fellows. Of these, one is


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 24

Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 21 of 24)