University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 22 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 22 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to be called to the Bar, and the other is to proceed to the degree
of D.M.

There are at present twenty-two Scholarships, all of which are
tenable for four years, with the exception of the Townsend Scholar-
ships, which are tenable for eight years ; the holders, however, sharing
in the emoluments during four years only.



204



PEMBROKE.



PRINCIPALS OF BROADGATES

II ALL.

I486 William Wytham

1443 .Ttilin Atkvnson

1443 Robert Halle

ill:; William Selby

1 145 Thomas Tango, or Tonge

1 117 Robert Baberforth

L460 William Lvster

1453 Robert TopclyfF

1458 Tliomas Walton

* * * *

1503 Roger Sandford
1505 Brian llygden
1508 Sc(il>vl

1511 John Noble

* * * *

1537 John Story
1542 Thomas Yonge
1546 Robert Weston
1549 Thomas Randolph



1556 ? JameB Gervays

* * * *

1619 John Budden

1620 Tliomas Clayton

MASTERS OF PEMBROKE
COLLEGE.
1624 Thomas Clayton
1647 Henry Wightwick
1647 Henry Langley
1660 Henry Wightwick restored
1664 John Hall
1709 ( "ol well Briekenden
1711 Matthew Panting
1738 John Ratcliffe
1775 William Adams
17.^.1 William Sergrove
17% John Smith
1809 George William Hall
1843 Francis Jeune
1864 Evan Evans.



205




XIX. WORCESTER COLLEGE.



This College, established in 1283 as a School for Benedictine monks
under the name of Gloucester Hall * or College, received its charter ot
incorporation in 1714 as a foundation for a Provost, six Fellows, and
six Scholars, under the Will of Sir Thomas Cookes, Bart. It has been
further endowed by subsequent Benefactors, Mrs. Sarah Eaton, Dr. Clarke,
Dr. Finney, Lady Holford, Mr. Kay, and Mr. Barnes.

Under the Statutes of 1882 the College will consist of a Provost, nine
(or ten) Fellows, and nineteen Scholars : of the Scholarships five are
on the Foundation of Sir Thomas Cookes, for persons educated at
Bromsgrove School ; four on that of Mrs. Eaton, for sons of Clergymen
of the Church of England, or of some Church in communion therewith,
needing assistance at the University ; the remainder are open ; namely,
one on the Foundation of Dr. Finney ; five on that of Dr. Clarke ; one
on that of Mr. Barnes, of the value of xford, in 1230. On the dissolution of Littlemore nunnery, it was
•rivi-ii by Henry VIII. to George Owen, D.M., Physician to the King,
and Fellow of Merton College, who conveyed it to Sir John Williams
(afterwards Lord Williams of Thame) and Sir John Gresham. By
permission of Edward VI. they assigned it over to John Pollard and
Robert Perrot, Esqrs., in 1547, by whom it was finally transferred to
the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, and was some time after
established as an Academical Hall.



PRINCIPALS.


1567 Arthur Atye


1437 Roeer Martin




Richard Radclyffe


1439 Robert Ashe


1599


Robert Masters


1444 John Gygur


1603


Henry Masters


1450 William Shyrefe


1614


Anthony Morgan


1452 "William Ronisev


1621


Richard Parker


1468 Thomas Danet


1624


Edward Chaloner


1477 Richard Fitzjames


1625


Richard Zouch


Thomas Lynley


1661


Giles Sweit


Robert Gosbourne


1664


Thomas Lamplugh


Ralph Hamsterley


1673


Narcissus Marsh


1501 Hugh Saunders, alias Shakspeere


1679


Thomas Bouchier


1503 John Forster


1723


James Bouchier


1507 John Beverstone


1736


Robert Leyborne


1507 "William Bysse


1759


Francis Randolph


1509 Richard Walker


1797


Thomas Winstanley


1510 John Pokyswell, or Poxwell


1823


Peter Elmsley


1514 John Hoper


1825


Richard Whately


Simon Balle


1831


Edward Cardwell


1527 "Walter Buckler


1861


William Charles Salter, on whose


1530 Robert Tailer




resignation in 1882, the Hall,


1532 William Pedvll




by virtue of a Statute made


1535 Robert Huvck




by the University Commis-


1536 Richard Smyth
1539 Humphrey Bumeford




sioners in 1881, became com-




pletely united with Merton


1543 John Estwyck




College.


1547 William Marshall







215



ST. EDMUND HALL.



St. Edmund Hall is said to derive its name from St. Edmund,
Archbishop of Canterbury in the reign of Henry III.

It appears to have been purchased in the year 12G9 by the Canons
of Osney, and soon afterwards devoted by them to the purposes of Aca-
demical instruction. The earliest Principals on record are William
Boys and John de Cornubia, the latter of whom was Principal in the
year 1317. After the dissolution of religious houses, it was granted by
Henry VIII. to two citizens of Oxford, through whom it came, by
purchase, into the possession of William Denyse (sometimes written
Devenysh, or Dennyson), Provost of Queen's College. It was by him
devised, in 1557, to Queen's College, which Society procured, a.d.
1559, an Act of Congregation, confirmed by the Chancellor, which
vested in them the perpetual right of nominating the Principal.

In 1763, George Holme, D.D., sometime Fellow of Queen's College,
and Eector of Hedleigh, Hants, bequeathed the sum of ,£1000 to the
University, in trust to apply it, with accumulated interest, to the pur-
chase of the Advow T son of a Living, to which the Principal of St. Ed-
mund Hall should be presented. In 1821 the Advowson of Gatcombe
was purchased, to which the University first presented in 1844.

Members of this Hall are admitted to any of the Lectures given in
Queen's College.



PRINCIPALS.

1317 John de Cornubia

1319 Robert Luc de Cornubia

1325 JohndeBere

1351 Thorp

1381 William Hamsterley

1385 Edward Upton

1390 William Taylour

1390 Henricus Presbyter, or Circester

1399 Henry Eumworth

1408 Henry Bermingdon, or Berming-

ham
1410 Peter Gierke, alias Payne
1414 John Derley, Darley, or Derling
1434 William Bryton
1438 John Thamys, or Themys
1401 Thomas Lee, or Leigh
1478 Richard Broke
1499 Humphrey Wystow
1501 Thomas Cawse
1503 William Patynson
1505 Christopher Fallowfield
1508 John Pyttys
1520 John Cuthbertson
1528 Myles Brathwayte
1530 William Robertson
1538 Ottewell Toppyng



1540 Thomas Peyrson
1546 Ralph Rudde
1564 John Lancaster

1569 Nicholas Cooke

1570 Nicholas Pullen
1572 Philip Johnson
1576 Henry Robinson
1581 Thomas Bowsfield
1601 John Aglionby
1610 John Rawlinson
1632 Adam Airay
1658 Thomas Tully
1676 Stephen Penton

1684 Thomas Crosthwaite

1685 John Mill

1707 Thomas Pearson
1722 Henry Felton
1740 Thomas Shaw
1751 George Fothergill
1760 George Dixon
1787 William Dowson

1800 George Thompson
1824 Anthony Grayson
1843 William Thompson
1854 John Barrow

1801 John Branthwaite
1864 Edward Moore.



210



PEIVATE HALLS.

A Statute passed in 1882 (in substitution for an earlier one dating
from 1855) enacts that any Member of Convocation above the age of
twenty-eight may, under certain conditions, obtain from the \ T ice-
Chancellor, with the consent of the Hebdomadal Council, a licence to
open a suitable building as a Private Hall for the. reception of Aca-
demical students with the title of " Licensed Master," and make pro-
vision for the proper government of the students under his charge.
They are subject to all other Statutes of the University, and they
partake in its privileges, and are admissible to its degrees, in the same
way as other students.

The Private Halls now existing are —

CHABSLEY'S HALL.

"William Henry Charsley, MA., Licensed Master.



TUEBELL'S HALL.

Henry Joseph Tuerell, M.A., Licensed Master.



NON- COLLEGIATE STUDENTS. 217



STUDENTS WHO DO NOT BELONG TO ANY COLLEGE


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22 24

Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 22 of 24)