University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 5 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 5 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1679 William Wvatt, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.; Principal of St. Mary Hall
1712 Di.eby Cotes, M.A., Fellow of All Souls ; Principal of Magdalen Hall
1746 Thomas Lisle, D.D., Fellow of Magdalen
1749 Roger Mather, M.A., Fellow of Brasenose
17(30 Thomas Nowell, M.A., Fellow of Oriel ; Principal of St. Mary Hall, D.D.,

and Regius Professor of Modern History
1776 .lames Bandinel, B.D., Fellow of Jesus
1784 William Crowe, B.C.L., Fellow of New College
1829 John Antonv Cramer, M. A., sometime Student of Ch. Ch. ; Principal of

New Inn Hall, D.D.
1842 "William Jacobson, M.A., Vice-Principal of Magdalen Hall, sometime

Fellow of Exeter ; afterwards Regius Professor of Divinity
1848 Richard Miehell, B.D., Vice-Principal of Magdalen Hall, sometime Fellow

of Lincoln and Pra?lector of Logic ; afterwards Principal of Magdalen

Hall, D.D., Principal of Hertford College
1877 Thomas Francis Dallin, M.A., sometime Fellow of Queen's
1880 William Walter Merry, M.A., Fellow, afterwards Rector, of Lincoln;

D.D.



KEEPER OF THE ARCHIVES. 43



Clebks of the Market.

Control of the Market, in order to secure fair dealing in provisions of
all kinds, was granted to the Chancellor l>y King Edward III. in 1355.
In the days when prices were fixed by authority it was the Chancellor
who fixed them in Oxford ; and whatever jurisdiction in such matters
can now be exercised by magistrates anywhere is exercised by the
Chancellor or Vice-Chancellor here. Two Clerks of the Market are
annually appointed, one by the Chancellor, the other by the Vice-
Chancellor. They must be either Principals of Halls, Masters of i^rts,
or Bachelors of Divinity, Medicine, or Law. The stipend of each
Clerk is fixed by Statute at ,£26 a year. There is also a Deputy
Clerk.



The Keeper oe the Archives.

This office was instituted in 1634. It is the Keeper's duty to take
charge of and to arrange all the muniments and papers concerning
either the Estates, Possessions, Eights, and Privileges of the Univer-
sity, or the Endowments of Professorships, and all the Eegisters and
Records of the University. He is a Delegate of Privileges ex officio.
He is elected by Convocation. The yearly stipend of the office, origin-
ally ^40, was raised in 1828 to ,£'100, but was restored to ean of St. Paul's, Bishop of Durham
1820 Frodsham Hodson, D.D., Principal of Brasenose
1822 Charles Lloyd, Student of Ch. Ch. : Bishop of Oxford
1829 Edward Burton, D.D., Student of Ch. Ch.
1836 Bonn Dickson Hampden, D.D., Principal of St. Mary Hall ; afterwards

Bishop of Hereford
1848 William Jacobson, M.A., Yiee-Prncipal of Magdalen Hall and Public

Orator, sometime Fellow of Exeter ; D.D., afterwards Bishop of

( heater
1865 Robert Payne Smith, M.A., Pembroke ; D.D. ; afterwards Dean of

Canterbury
1*71 James Bowling Mozley, B.D., sometime Fellow of Magdalen ; D.D.
1878 "William Ikcb, M.A., Fellow of Exeter ; D.D.



REGIUS PROFESSORSHIP OF MEDICINE. 47



Eegius Professorship of Civil Law.

King James I augmented the endowment of this Professorship by
annexing to the Chair, in 1617, a Lay Prebend in the Church of
Salisbury, since commuted for an annual payment ot ,£100 by the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The existing Professor at present re-
ceives an additional stipend of ,£300 a-year from the University Chest

Under Statutes made for All Souls College by the University Com-
missioners of 1877 the endowment of the Professorship is to be aug-
mented to £700 a-year from the College revenues, and a Fellowship
in the College, with an emolument of £200 a-year, is also to be attached
to the Chair.

In connexion with this Professorship a temporary Readership of
Roman Law has been established, for particulars of which see post,
p. 81.

Professors.

1546 John Story, D.C.L., Principal of Broadpates Hall

1553 William Aubrey, B.C.L., Fellow of All Souls and Principal of New Inn

Hall ; D.C.L.

1554 William Mowse, or Mosse, D.C.L.

1559 John Griffith, B.C.L., Fellow of All Souls; Principal of New Inn Hall,
D.C.L.

1566 Robert Loupher, or Lufter, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls and Principal of
New Inn Hall

1577 Griffith or Griffin Lloyd, D.C.L., Principal of Jesus

1587 Albericus Gentilis, D.C.L., incorporated from the University of Perugia

1611 John Budden, D.C.L., Principal of New Inn Hall and afterwards of Broad-
pates Hall

1620 Richard Zouch, D.C.L., Fellow of New College ; Principal of St. Alban Hall

1661 Giles Sweit, D.C.L., Principal of St. Alban Hall

1672 Thomas Bouchier, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls; Principal of St. Alban Hall

1712 James Bouchier, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls; Principal of St. Alban Hall

173(1 Henry Brooke, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls

1754 Bobert Jenner, D.C.L., Trinity

1767 Bobert Vansittart, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls

1789 Hon. Thomas Francis Wenman, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls, and Keeper of
the Archives

1796 French Laurence, D.C.L., Fellow of Corpus

1809 Joseph Phillimore, D.C.L., sometime Student of Ch. Ch.

1855 Travers Twiss, D.C.L., Fellow of University

1870 James Bkyce, B.C.L., Fellow of Oriel ; D.C.L.



PiEGius Professorship op Medicine.

King James I augmented the endowment of this Professorship by
annexing to the Chair, in 1617, the Mastership of the Hospital at
Ewelme in Oxfordshire. The endowment was further augmented by
the addition of the Toinlins Prselectorship of Anatomy, in 1624, and of



H PROFESSORS.

the Aldrichian Professorship of Anatomy, in 1803. Theso however
were separated from thr Begins Professorship by a Statute approved
by the Queen in Council in 1868, and the Aldricluan Professorship of
the Practice of Medicine, with an emolument of about ,£130 a-year,
was then annexed to the Chair. The Professor acts as an Examiner in
all examinations for Degrees in Medicine granted by the University.

Trofi won,

1546 John Warner, DJM .Warden of AH Boula

1554 Thomas Francis, D.M., ( h.Ch.: alp iu::>!- I 'rovost of Queen's

1561 Walter Bailey, B M . Felloe ofNe* Colli

1582 Anthony Aylworth, D.M., Fellow of New College

[J ■, Bartholomew Warner, D.M., St. John's

ltil2 Thomas Clayton, P.M., J Julliol ; Principal of Broadgates Hall, Master ai

Pembroke
1647 Thomas Clayton, D.M., sometime Fellow of Pembroke : Warden ofMerton
1665 James Hyde, P.M., Principal of Magdalen Hall
L681 John Luffe, D.M., St Mary Hall
1698 Thomas Boy, D.M., Fellow of St. John's
1718 Joshua Lasher, P.M., Fellow of St. John's
17l'9 William Beauvoix, D.M., sometime Fellow of Pembroke
1730 William Woodford, P.M., Fellow ofNew College
1759 John Kelly, P.M., Btudent of Ch. Ch.
1772 "William Vivian, P.M., Fellow of Corpus

1801 Sir Christopher Pegge, D.M., Ch. Ch., sometime Fellow of Oriel
1822 John Kidd, P.M., sometime Student of Ch.Ch.
l.s.l .lames Adey Oirlc, P.M., Trinity
1857 Sik Henky Wextworth Aclasd, P.M., Ch. Ch., sometime Fellow of All

Souls, K.C.B.



Eegius Peofessoeshep of Hebeew.

King Charles I augmented the endowment of this Professorship by
annexing to the Chair, in 1630, a Canonry of Christ Church.

Professors.

1540 Thomas Harding, M.A., Fellow of New College

1.548 Richard Bruern, B.P., Fellow of Lincoln ; Canon of Ch. Ch.

1509 Thomas Neale, B.P., sometime Fellow of New College

15119 Thomas Kingsmill, M.A., Fellow of Magdalen, Public Orator

1591 John Harding, M.A., Fellow of Magdalen : B.P.

1598 William Thome, M.A., Fellow of New College

l»»*t4 John Harding again, P.P. ; President of Magdalen

1610 .Richard Kilbve, P.P., Rector of Lincoln

1621 Edward 31. ,-tkirk, B.P., Student of Ch. Ch. ; P.D.

1626 John Morris, B.D., All Bonis ; P.P.

1048 Edward Pococke, B.P., Fellow of Corpus, Laudian Professor of Arabic ; P.P.

1091 Roger Altham, B.P., Student of Ch. Ch. ; P.P.

1697 Thomas Hyde, P.P., Queen's, Bodley's Librarian, and Laudian Professor of

Arabic
1703 Rosrer Altham again
1715 Robert Clavering, P.P., sometime Fellow of University : Bishop of LlandaiT,

afterwards of Peterborough



REGIUS PROFESSORSHIP OF CREEK. 49

1747 Thomas Hunt, D.D., Fellow of Hertford, Laudian and Lord Almoner's Pro-
fessor of Arabic

1774 Richard Browne, D.D., sometime Fellow of Trinity, Lord Almoner's Pro-
fessor of Arabic

1780 George Jubb, B.D., Student of Ch. Ch. ; D.D.

1787 Benjamin Blayney, B.D., sometime Fellow of Hertford: D.D.

1802 Joseph White, D.D., Fellow of Wadham, Laudian Professor of Arabic

1814 Richard Laurence, D.C.L., University; afterwards Archbishop of Cashel

1822 Alexander Nicoll, M.A., Balliol ; D.C.L.

1828 Edward Bouverie Pusey, M.A., Fellow of Oriel ; D.D.

1882 Samuel Rolles Driver, M.A., Fellow of New College; D.D.



Regius Peoeessorship of Greek.

The endowment of this Professorship received no augmentation until
the year 1865, when the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church increased
the Professor's stipend to .£500 a year.

Under Statutes made for Christ Church by the University Com-
missioners in 1877 this augmentation is maintained, and on the next
vacancy in the Professorship it is to he increased to ,£900 a-year, but
such augmentation is not to take effect unless the Professor shall be or
become a Student of Christ Church.

Professors.

1546 Nicholas Harpesfeild, B.C.L., Fellow of New College

1548 Giles Lawrence, B.C.L., Fellow of All Sonls

1553 George Etheridge, M.A., Fellow of Corpus

1559 Giles Lawrence again ; D.C.L.

1585 John Harmar, M.A., Fellow of New College ; Head Master, afterwards
Warden, of Winchester College, D.D.

1590 Henry Curie, M.A., Fellow of Merton

1597 John Perin, D.D., Fellow of St. John's; Canon of Ch. Ch.

1615 John Hales, M.A., Fellow of Merton

1G19 John Harrys, B.D., Fellow of New College ; afterwards "Warden of Win-
chester College

1022 John South, B.C.L., Fellow of New College

1G25 Henry Stringer, M.A., Fellow, afterwards Warden, of New College ; D.D.

1650 John Harmar, M.A., sometime Demy of Magdalen

1600 Joseph Crowther, D.D., Fellow of St. John's ; Principal of St. Mary Hall

1665 William Levinz, M.A., Fellow, afterwards President, of St. John's ; D.M.

1698 Humphrey Hody, D.D., sometime Fellow of Wadham

1705 Thomas Milles, B.D., Ch. Ch. ; afterwards Bishop of Watcrford and Lismore

1707 Edward Thwaytes, M.A., Fellow of Queen's ; Professor of Moral Philosophy

1712 Thomas Terry, M.A., Student, afterwards Canon, of Ch. Ch. ; D.D.

1735 John Fanshawe, D.D., Student of Ch. Ch. ; afterwards Regius Professor of
Divinity

1747 Thomas Shaw, D.D., Principal of St. Fdmund Hall

1751 Samuel Dickens, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch. ; D.D.

1763 William Sharp, D.D., Student of Ch. Ch., sometime Principal of Hertfc rd

1782 John Randolph, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch., and Professor of Poetry; after*

wards Regius Professor of Divinity, D.D.

1783 William Jackson, M.A., Student, afterwards Canon, of Ch.Ch., D.D., and

Bishop of Oxford
1811 Thomas Gaisford, M.A., Student, afterwards Dean, of Ch. Ch., D.D.
1855 BENJAMIN Jowett, SLA., Fellow, afterwards Master, of Balliol.



50 PROFESSORS.



MaEC.AKET PROFESSORSHIP OF DrVESITY.

This Professorship, the oldest existing in the University, was founded
in 1602 by Margaret, Countess of Richmond, mother of Henry VI J,
and endowed with an annual pension of twenty marks. In 1627 King
Charlee I annexed to it a Prebend in Worcester Cathedral, which was
commuted by Act of Parliament in 1840 for a Canonry of Christ
< Ihnrch. ( Originally the election was vested in the Graduates in Divinity,
and the office became vacant every two years, but was continued by
re-election for life. Now, from 1858, not only all Graduates in Divinity,
but all those Members of the Congregation of the University who are
at least in Deacon's Orders, are electors, and the election is for life.
The Professor must be either a Graduate in Divinity or a Master of
Arts of seven years' standing and in Priest's Orders.

Professors.

1497 Edmund Wylsford, D.D., Fellow, afterwards Provost, of Oriel

15(J0 John Roper, B.D., sometime Fellow of Magdalen
John Kynton, D.D., a Franciscan friar

1530 William Mortimer, D.D.

lf>4(> Hugh Weston, D.D., Rector of Lincoln

1548? Christopher Goodman, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.

1554 John .Smyth, B.D., Provost of Oriel

1561 Francis Babington, D.D., Rector of Lincoln

1502 Herbert West] haling, B.D., Canon of Ch. Ch. ; DD. ; afterwards Bishop of
Hereford

15G4 James Calfhill, B.D., Canon of Ch. Ch.

1565 Edward Cradocke, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch. : D.D.

1594 John Williams, B.D., Fellow of All Souls ; D.D., Principal of Jesus

1613 Sebastian Benefield, D.D., Fellow of Corpus

1626 Samuel Fell, D.D., Canon, Afterwards Dean, of Ch. Ch.

1638 Thomas Lawrence, D.D., Master of Balliol

1648 Francis Cheynell, B.D., President of St. John's

1652 Henry Wilkinson, D.D., Fellow of Magdalen and Canon of Ch. Ch.

1660 Thomas Barlow, D.D., Provost of Queen's, and Bodley's Librarian ; after-
wards Bishop of Lincoln

1676 John Hall, D.D., Master of Pembroke ; afterwards Bishop of Bristol

1691 Henry Maurice, D.D., sometime Fellow of Jesus

1691 Thomas Sykes, B.D., Fellow, afterwards President, of Trinity ; D.D.

17U5 John Wynne, D.D., Fellow, afterwards Principal, of Jesus ; afterwards
Bishop of St. Asaph, Bath and Wells

1715 William Delaune, D.D., President of St. John's

1728 Thomas Jenner, B.D., Fellow, afterwards President, of Magdalen ; D.D.

1768 Thomas Randolph, D.D., President of Corpus

1783 Timothy Neve, D.D., Chaplain of Merton, sometime Fellow of Corpus

1798 Septimus Collinson, D.D., Provost of Queen's

1827 Godfrey Faussett, B.D., Fellow of Magdalen; D.D.

1853 Charles Abel Heuktley, B.D., sometime Fellow of Corpus ; D.D.



SAVILIAN PEOFESSOESHIP OF GEOMETRY. 51



Savilian Pkofessoeships of Geometry and Astronomy.

In the year 1619 Sir Henry Savile, Knight, Warden of Merton
College, founded and endowed two Professorships, one in Geometry,,
and the other in Astronomy. The Professors might be chosen from any
part of Christendom, provided they were persons of good character and
repute, well skilled in mathematics, and twenty-six years of age : if
Englishmen, they were to be M.A. at the least.

Under Statutes made for New College by the Commissioners of 1877
a Fellowship in the College, with an emolument of



Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 5 of 24)