University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 6 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 6 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1649 Beth Ward, MA., Wadham, sometime Fellow of Sidney Sussex College,
Cambridge, D.D.; [Resident of Trinity

1661 ( IhriBtqpher Wren, MA., Fellow of All Souls; D.C.L.

1673 Edward Bernard, B.D., Fellow of St. John's; D.D.

1691 David Gregory, M.A., Balliol, incorporated from Edinburgh; D.M.

1709 John Caswell, SLA., Wadham, Vice-Principal of Hert Hall

1712 John Keil, M.A., Balliol, incorporated from Edinburgh; D.M.

1721 James Bradley, MA., Balliol; Astronomer Iioyal, D.D., Reader in Experi-
mental Philosophy

17G3 Thomas Hornsby, M.A., Fellow of Corpus, and Reader in Experimental
Philosophy; Professor of Natural Philosophy; D.D.

1810 Abram Robertson, D.D., Ch. Ch., Professor of Geometry

1827 Stephen Peter Rigaud, M.A., sometime Fellow of Exeter, Professor of
Geometry

1839 George Henry Sacbeverell Johnson, M.A., Fellow of Queen's

1842 William Fishburn Donkin, M.A., Fellow of University

1870 Chakles Pritchaud, M.A., (M.A., and sometime Fellow, afterwards Hon.
Fellow, of St. John's College, Cambridge,) D.D., Fellow of New College.



Sedleian Professorship of Natural Philosophy.

This Professorship was founded by Sir William Sedley, of Aylesford
in Kent, Bart,, who by his Will, dated October 20, 1618, bequeathed
the sum of ,£2000 to the University, to be laid out in the purchase of
lands, for its endowment ; and his bequest took effect in 1621. The
stipend arising from this endowment now amounts to about £300 a
year, and is further augmented by an annual payment of £270 from
the revenues of Queen's College under an ordinance of the University
Commissioners of 1854.

Under Statutes made for Queen's College by the Commissioners of
1877 this augmentation is hereafter to be increased from the College
revenues by such an amount as shall raise the income of the Professor-
ship to £900 a year.



"WHYTE'S PROFESSORSHIP OF MORAL PHILOSOniY. 53

Under another Statute of the same Commissioners the Professor is
hereafter to be elected by a Board consisting of the Vice-Chancellor,
the President of the Royal Society, the Provost of Queen's College,
a person nominated on each occasion by Queen's College to act as an
Elector on that occasion, the Professor of Experimental Philosophy,
the Savilian Professor of Geometry, and a person nominated on each
occasion by the Hebdomadal Council to act as an Elector on thai
occasion. If the Provost of Queen's College is unable to act as an
Elector, the College may appoint a person to act in his stead.

Professors.

1621 Edward Lapwarfh, D.M., St. Alban Hall

1636 John Edwards, M.A., Fellow of St. John's; D.M.

1648 Joshua Crosse, 31. A., Fellow of Magdalen

1660 Thomas Willis, B.M., Ch. Ch. ; D.3I,

1(575 Thomas Mfflington, D.M., Fellow of All Souls

1704 James Favrer, B.D., Fellow of Magdalen; I3.D.

1720 Hon. Charles Bertie, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls

1741 Joseph Browne, D.D., Fellow, afterwards Provost, of Queen's

17(37 Benjamin Wheeler, M.A., Fellow of 3Iagdalen, and Professor of Poetry *

O.D., Regius Professor of Divinity
1782 Thomas Homsby, M.A., sometime Fellow of Corpus, Savilian Professor of

Astronomy and Reader in Experimental Philosophy ; D.D.
1810 George Leigh Cooke, B.D., Fellow of Corpus
1853 Bartholomew Price, M.A., Fellow of Pembroke, Hon. Fellow of Queen's.



Whyte's Proeessoeship of Moral Philosophy.

This Professorship was founded in the year 1621 by Thomas "Whyte,
D.D., Canon of Christ Church, who charged an estate in Essex, which
he then conveyed to the University, with an annual stipend of ,£100
for the Professor and with other payments. He made the Chair tenable
for five years only, or at the most for ten, and appointed the Yice-
Chancellor, the Dean of Christ Church, the Presidents of Magdalen
and St. John's, and the two Proctors, to be the electors.

In 1673 a practice began of electing one of the Proctors, usually the
Senior, to the office ; in course of time the Lectures were entirely
dropped ; and at length the Professorship was so forgotten, that it was
never mentioned in the Oxford Calendar before the year 1831, the
abuse having continued, with one exception only, till February 1829.

The Professorship was established on a new footing by a Statute
which was approved by the Queen in Council in 1858.

It is now regulated by Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877,
under which the stipend of the Professor will be ultimately raised to
,£900 a-ycar, namely, £100 from the original endowment, and the
residue, including the emoluments of a Fellowship in Corpus Christi
College attached to the Professorship, from the revenues of that
College.



54 PROFESSORS.

The Professor is elected by a Board consisting of the Vice-Chancellor,
1lir "Margaret Professor of Divinity, the Begins Professor of Modern
History, the Yinerian Professor of English Law, the Waynilcte Pro-

>ir of Mora] and Metaphysical Philosophy, a member of Corpus
(liristi College nominated on each occasion by the College to act as
BO Elector 09 that occasion, and K person nominated as a permanent
Elector by that College, subject to the approval of Convocation (at
present, Henry G. Liddell, D.D., Dean of Christ Church).

Professors.

1621 William Price, M.A., Student of Ch. C'li.
1630 Thomas Ballow, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.
1634 Edward Fulham, BLA., student of Ch. Ch.
1638 George Gisbey, BLA., Fellow of St. John's
1643 John Berkenhead. BLA- Fellow of All Souls

1648 Edward Copley, M.A., Fellow of Merton

1649 Hony Wilkinson, B.D., Principal of Magdalen Hall

ltw'4 Francis Howell, BLA., Fellow of Exeter ; afterwards Principal of Jesus

]»i."i7 William Carpender, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.

1660 Francis Palmer, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.

H>|'(4 Andrew Crispe, M.A., Fellow of Corpus

1668 Nathaniel Hodges, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.

1673 Abraham Campion, M.A., Fellow of Trinity, Senior Proctor

1708 Edward Thwaytes, M.A., Fellow of Queen's, and Eegius Professor of Greek,

not a Proctor

********

1829 William Mills, B.D., Fellow of Magdalen

1834 Renn Dickson Hampden, D.D., Principal of St. Mary Hall ; afterwards

Eegius Professor of Divinity, Bishop of Hereford
1836 William Sewell, M.A., Fellow of Exeter

1841 Charles William Stocker, D.D., sometime Fellow of St. John's

1842 George Henry Sacheverell Johnson, M.A., Fellow of Queen's, Savilian

Professor of Astronomy

1845 Henry George Liddell, M.A., Student, afterwards Dean, of Ch. Ch.

1846 John Matthias Wilson, M.A., Fellow, afterwards President, of Corpus
1851 John Matthias Wilson, B D., re-elected

1856-1858 Vacant

1858 John Matthias Wilson, B.D., re-elected

1874 John Richard Turner Eaton, M.A., sometime Fellow of Merton

1878 Thomas Hill Green, M.A., Fellow of Balliol

1882 William Wallace, M.A., Fellow of Merton



Camden Pkofessokship of Ancient Histoey.

The Professorship of Ancient History was founded in the year 1622
by William Camden, Esq., Clarencieux King at Arms, who endowed it
with an annual stipend of ,£140, charged upon the manor of Bexley in
Kent, which lie gave to the University. The stipend is at present aug-
mented to £600 out of the University Chest.



TOMLINS PROFESSORSHIP OF ANATOMY. 55

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the University
and Brasenose College respectively, the original endowment will
ultimately be augmented from the revenues of the College to £ ( J00
a- year, and the Professor will be ex officio a Professorial Fellow of that
Society.

The Professor, who has hitherto been elected by Convocation, is
hereafter to be elected by a Board consisting of the Vice-Chancellor,
the Regius Professor of Greek, the Corpus Christi Professor of the
Latin Language and Literature, the Regius Professor of Modern
History, and a person nominated on each occasion by the Principal and
Fellows of Brasenose College to act as an Elector on that occasion.

Professors.

1622 Degory "Wheal", M. A., Fellow of Exeter : Principal of Gloucester Hall

1G47 Robert Waryng, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch.

1648 Lewis du Moulin, D.M., incorporated from Leyden

1660 John Lamphire, M.A., Fellow of New College ; D.M., Prineii al of New Inn,

and of Hert, Halls
1688 Henry Dodwell, M.A., Hert Hall, incorporated from Dublin
1691 Charles Aldworth, D.C.L., Fellow of Magdalen
1720 Sedgwick Harrison, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls
1727 Richard Frewin, D.M., Student of Ch. Ch.
1761 John "Warneford, B.D., Fellow of Corpus
1773 "William Scott, B.C.L., Fellow of University ; D.C.L. ; afterwards Lord

Stowell
1785 Thomas "Warton, B.D., Fellow of Trinity ; sometime Professor of Poetry
1790 Thomas "Winstanley, M. A., Fellow of Hertford; Principal of St. Alban Hall,

D.D.
1823 Peter Elmsley, M.A., Principal of St. Alban Hall, D.D.
1825 Edward Cardwell, B.D., Fellow of Brasenose; afterwards Principal cf

St. Alban Hall, D.D.
1861 George Rawlisson, M.A., sometime Fellow of Exeter.



Tomlins Pkofessoeship of Anatomy,

A Lecture in Anatomy was founded in 1624 by Richard Tomlins,
Esq., of Westminster, who assigned it to the Eegius Professor of Medi-
cine for the time being ; and to this was annexed in 1803 the Pro-
fessorship of Anatomy founded by Dr. Aldrich. By a Statute, approved
by the Queen in Council in 1858, both were annexed to the Linacre
Professorship of Physiology.

Under a Statute made by the Commissioners of 1877, the emoluments
arising from the joint foundations are to be applied, in such manner as
the University shall from time to time determine, to the payment of
a Demonstrator or Demonstrators in Anatomy appointed by the Linacre
Professor of Human and Comparative Anatomy. See post, p. 74.



56 PROFESSORS.

Professorship of Music, with Offices of Choragus

AND I'RjECENTOR.

"William Heather, Doctor in Music, founded this Professorship in the
year lb'26, making the office annual, and vesting the appointment in
the Proctors. JIc also made provision f



Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 6 of 24)