University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 7 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 7 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


annual sum of ,£200 from the revenues of Wadham College. The
Professor was appointed by the Vice-Chancellor alone until the year
1863 ; then by a Board of Electors.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and "Wadham College respectively, the total emoluments of the
Professorship, exclusive of fees, are ultimately to be not less than £'700
or more than £900 a-year. A non-stipendiary Fellowship in "Wadham
College is also annexed to the Chair.

The Professor is hereafter to be elected by a Board consisting of the
Vice-Chancellor, the Warden of Wadham College, the Sedleian Professor
of Natural Philosophy, the Waynflete Professor of Chemistry, and the
President of the Royal Society. If the Warden of Wadham College is
unable to act as an Elector, the College may appoint a person to act in
his stead.

The Professor has the charge of the Clarendon Laboratory.

Readers or Professors.

1740 James Bradley, D.D., Balliol, Savilian Professor of Astronomy

17G3 Thomas Hornsby, M. A., Fellow of Corpus, and Professor of Astronomy,

afterwards Professor of Natural Philosophy; D.D.
1810 Stephen Peter Rigaud, M.A., Fellow of Exeter, and Professor of Geometry,

afterwards Professor of Astronomy
1880 Robert Walker, M.A., Wadham
18G5 Robert BELLAMY Cliftoh, (M.A.,and formerly Fellow of St. John's College,

Cambridge), M.A., Hon. Fellow (afterwards Fellow) of Wadham ; Fellow

of Merton.



02 PROFESSORS.



YlNEEIAN TEOFESSOESniP OF COMMON LAW.

Charles Viner, Esq., by his Will, dated December 20, 1755, left
aboul £12,000 to the University, to establish a Professorship, and
to endow Bach Fellowships and Scholarships of the Common Law,
as the produce of Ins legacy might be thought capable of supporting.
His bequest took effect in 1758, and the Stipend of the Professorship
was then fixed at ,£200 a-year, and the Professor was to be elected by
Convocation.

Under a Statute approved by the Queen in Council in 1807, the
Professor was to be elected by a Board thereby constituted, and until
there should be a vacancy in the Professorship a Reader was to be
appointed from time to time for three years, to give instruction in Civil
Law as well as English Law. The first Eeader was appointed February
25, 1808, and the Readership was continued until December, 1881.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and All Souls College respectively, the Professor receives the
annual proceeds of the trust estate of Mr. Yiner's Foundation, after
payment of the statutory emoluments of the Scholars of that Foundation
and also the emoluments appropriated to the Professorship out of the
revenues of All Souls College. These latter are ,£200 a-year as the
emolument of a Fellowship in the College attached to the Professorship,
and, in addition, such a sum as, together with what the Professor
receives from the Vinerian Foundation, shall amount to £700 a-year.

The Professor is elected by a Board consisting of the Chancellor of
the University, the Lord Chief Justice of England, the Regius Pro-
fessor of Civil Law, the Corpus Professor of Jurisprudence, and a
person nominated on each occasion by All Souls College to act as an
Elector on that occasion.

Professors.

1758 "William Blackstone, D.C L., Fellow of All Souls ; afterwards one of the

Judges in the Court of Common Pleas
1762 Robert Chambers, B.C.L., Fellow of University; afterwards Principal of

New Inn Hall, and Chief Justice of Beneral
1777 Richard Wooddeson, D.C.L., Fellow of Magdalen
1793 James Blackstone, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls ; afterwards Principal of New

Inn Hall
1824 Philip Williams, B.C.L., sometime Fellow of New College ; D.C.L.
1843 John Robert Kenyon, D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls
1882 Albekt Yenx Dicey, MA., B.C.L., sometime Fellow of Trinity ; Fellow of

All Souls ; Fellow of Balliol.

Headers.

1868 Kenelm Edward Digby, MA., Fellow of Corpus

1874 Thomas Erskine Holland, M.A., B.C.L., sometime Fellow of Exeter;

afterwards Chichele Professor of International Law and Diplomacy ;

Fellow of All Souls: D.C.L.
1874 Sir William Reynell Anson, Bart., M.A, Fellow, afterwards Warden, of All

Souls ; B.C.L., D.C.L.



LICHFIELD TRUST FOR CLINICAL INSTRUCTION. 63



Lichfield Trust for Clinical Instruction.

A Professorship was founded for the reading of Clinical Lectures in
the Badclifle Infirmary to the Students in Medicine of the University,
by the bounty of George Henry Lee, third Earl of Lichfield of that
name, Chancellor of the University; who bequeathed for its endow-
ment some property in London, which in 1780, when his bequest took
effect, produced a capital sum exceeding .M.. Exeter.

1884 Samuel Dukinfield Darbishire, D.M , BallioL

1887 W Ai. i Kit TraaSLL Bbooks, 15. A., Ch. Ch., B.M\ Loud.

Lecturers in Surgery.
1883 Alfred Winkfield, F.P.c.s.

1887 HOBATIO PlBGY SymOVDS, F.R.C.S.



PiAWLINSONIAN PROFESSORSHIP OF ANGLO-SAXON.

Founded by Richard Rawlinson, P.C.L., of St. John's College, who
endowed it with sonic annual or fee-farm rents, payable out of certain
lands in Lancashire. He directed that the Professorship should he
tenable for five years only, that the several Colleges in the University
should enjoy it one after another, but that St. John's College should
have every fifth turn. The endowment took effect in 1795, forty years
after his death, according to his desire.

By a Statute, sanctioned by the Queen in Council in 1858, the Pro-
fessorship was made tenable for life, any Member of Convocation be-
came eligible, and the range of the Professor's lectures was no longer
confined to the language of the Anglo-Saxons, but was made to take
in also the history of that people, the old Low-German dialects, and
the antiquities of Northern Europe. The election was vested in the
Congregation of the University, and the stipend was augmented to James Ingram, M A., Fellow, afterwards President, of Trinity

1808 John Josias Conybeare, M.A., Student of Ch. Ch., afterwards Professor of

Poetry

1S12 Charles Pvson, M.A., Scholar, afterwards Fellow, of Corpus

1817 Thomas Silver. D.C.L , Fellow of St John's

1822 Charles John Ridley, M.A., Fellow of University

1827 Arthur Johnson, M.A., Fellow of "VYadham



ALDRICHIAN TROFESSORSHirS OF ANATOMY, ETC. 63

1829 Francis Pearson Walesbv, B.C.L., Fellow of Lincoln

1834 Robert Meadowe White", HD, Fellow of Magdalen

1839 Henry Bristol Wilson, 15 D., Fellow of St. John's

1844 William Edward Buckley, M.A., Fellow of JBrasenose

1849 John Earle, 31. A., Fellow of Oriel

1854-1858 Vacant

1858 Joseph Bosworth, D.TX, Ch.Ch., incorporated from Trinity College, Cambridge

187b" John Eaule, M.A., sometime Fellow of Oriel, again.



Aldkichian Professorships of Anatomy, the Practice
of Medicine, and Chemistry.

These three Professorships were founded by George Aldrich, D.M.,
sometime of Merton College, who by his Will, proved Jan. 26, 1798,
bequeathed the residue of his property for their endowment in equal
portions. This fund now amounts to .£12,794 10s. 2d.

The revenues of the Professorship of Anatomy, (which was annexed
by the founder himself to the Tomlins Prselectorship, and so to the
Regius Professorship of Medicine,) have by various enactments, and
ultimately by a Statute made by the Commissioners of 1877 concerning
the Linacre Professor of Human and Comparative Anatomy, been
made applicable to the payment of a Demonstrator or Demonstrators
in Anatomy appointed by that Professor.

The Professorship of the Practice of Medicine, which at first was
in the gift of Convocation, and was held from 1803 to 1824 by Dr.
Bourne, afterwards Clinical Professor, and from 1824 to 1857 by
Dr. Ogle, Clinical Professor, was annexed under a Statute, sanctioned
by the Queen in Council in 1858, and still operative, to the Eegius
Professorship of Medicine.

The Professorship of Chemistry was in the gift of Convocation.
The stipend was augmented by King George IY, while Prince Eegent,
by a grant of £100 from the revenues of the Crown ; which sum, since
the remission of certain stamp duties in 1855, has been paid from the
University Chest : and the whole is now, since the suppression of the
Professorship in 1866, applied to the payment of the salary of a
Demonstrator, and to the purchase of chemical apparatus or other
means towards the promotion of the study of chemistry in the
University.

Professors of Chemistry.

1803 John Kidd, D.M., Student of Ch. Ch.

1822 Charles Giles Bridle Daubeny, D.M., Fellow of Magdalen

1855 Benjamin Collins Brodie, B.A., Balliol ; afterwards Sir B. C. Brcdie, Bart.
M.A.

, Demonstrators.

187?. Thomas JTeathrote Gerald Wyndham, MA., Fellow of Merton
1873 "Walter 'William Fibhkb, 31 A , sometime Fellow of Corpus.

E



GG TROFESSORS.



rnon>soi:siiii> of Pural Economy.

Tins Professorship was founded under the will of John Sihthorp, P.M.,
Univ. rsity College, Professor of Botany 17< s 1- ( .m;, and attached by him
to the Sherardian Professorship of Botany.

Bj B Statute made by the University Commissioners of 1877 the two
Professorships have Inch separated, and under a scheme sanctioned by
the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice in 1883 the Pro-
fessor of Bnral Economy is elected by a Board consisting of the Vice-
chancellor, the Sherardian Professor of Botany, the Professor of
Geology, the Waynflete Professors of Physiology and of Chemistry,
and the Presidents of the Royal and the Linnsean Societies.

The Professor is to hold office for three years from election, at the
end of which period he may be re-elected for a second term of three
years, but no Professor is to hold the Professorship for more than six
years consecutively. He is to lecture and give instruction on the scien-
tific principles of Agriculture and Forestry, and to receive the emolu-
ment of £200 a-year assigned to the Professorship by the Founder.

Professor.
18S4 JosErn Henry Gilbert, M.A., Magdalen ; re-elected in 1887.



Professorships of Mineralogy and Geology.

Lectures in Mineralogy and Geology having been delivered before
the University by permission of the Vice- Chan cell or, King George IV,
while Prince Regent, was pleased to endow two Chairs for those sub-
jects by a grant of ,£100 a-year for each from the revenues of the
Crown, the former in 1813, the latter in 1818. The stipends, after
the remission of certain stamp duties in 1855, were paid from the
University Chest, and the University augmented them by the further
annual payment of £150 to the Professor of Mineralogy and of £300
to the Professor of Geology, subject to certain conditions, whereof
residence was one. The Professors were appointed by the Vice-
Chancellor.



Waynflete Professorship of Mineralogy.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and Magdalen College respectively, the Professor of Mineralogy
is hereafter to be styled the Waynflete Professor of Mineralogy, and
is to receive a stipend of £500 a-year, namely, £100 from the
University Chest, and the residue, including the emoluments of a
Fellowship in the College attached to the Professorship, from the
revenues of Magdalen College.



PROFESSORSHIP OF POLITICAL ECONOMY. 67

He is to be elected by a Board consisting of the Visitor and the
President of Magdalen College, the Professor of Experimental Philo-
sophy, the Waynflete Professor of Chemistry, the Professor of Mineralogy
in the University of Cambridge, the President of the Royal Society, and
a person appointed on each occasion by the Hebdomadal Council to
act as an Elector on that occasion. If the President of Magdalen College
is unable to act as an Elector, the College may appoint a person to act
in his stead.

The Professor has charge of the Mineralogical Collection belonging
to the University.

Professors.

1813 William Buckland, B.D., Fellow of Corpus; afterwards Canon of Ch. Ch ,

D.U.
1856 Meiivin Herbert Nevil Story-Maskelyne, M.A., Hon. Fellow of Wadham.



Peofessoeship of Geology.

Under a Statute made by the Commissioners of 1877 the present
stipend of y subsequent
Statutes the stipend was raised to ,£"400 a-year, and the Professorship
made tenable for life.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Uni-
versity and New College respectively, the Professorship is henceforth
to be styled the Wykeham Professorship of Logic ; a Professor-Fellow-
ship in New College is attached to the Chair ; and the stipend is fixed
at ,£900 a-year, namely, £400 from the University Chest, and £300,
with the emoluments, amounting to £200, of an Ordinary Fellowship,
from the revenues of New College. The Professor is to be elected by
a Board consisting of the Vice-Chancellor, the Sedleian Professor of
Natural Philosophy, \V byte's Professor of Moral Philosophy, a person
nominated on each occasion by the Warden and Fellows of New Col-



70 PBOFESSOBS.

lege to net a*; an Elector on thai occasion, and a person nominated as
a permanenl Elector by the Hebdomadal Council, subject to the approval
oi ( lonYocation.

Professors.

1839 Richard MichelL, B.D., Fellow of Lincoln: afterwards Public Orator, and
Principal of Magdalen Ball: Principal of Hertford College; D.I).

1849 Henry Wall, M.A., Fellow of Balliol

L873 Thou \b Fowlkk, 31. A., Fellow of Lincoln ; afterwards President of Corpus ;
D.D.



Eegius Peofessoeships of Pastokal Theology and
Ecclesiastical History.

An Act of Parliament of the year 1840, Stat. 3 & 4 Yict. c. 113,
directed that two Canonries of Christ Church when next vacant should
he annexed to two new Professorships, which Her Majesty was in-
tending to found in this University ; and in 1842 these two Chairs
were established by Letters Patent under the Great Seal, the Univer-
sity having undertaken to pay a yearly stipend of ^300 to each Pro-
fessor until he should succeed to his Canonry, The first Canonry fell
vacant in 1849, the second in 1858.

Begins Professors of Pastoral Theology.

1842 Charles Atmore Ogilvie, D.D., sometime Fellow of Balliol; afterwards

Canon of Ch. Ch.
1873 Edward King, M.A., Oriel ; D.D.
1885 Francis Paget, M.A., sometime Student of Ch. Ch. ; D.D.

Eegius Professors of Ecclesiastical History.

1842 Robert Hussey, B.D., Student of Ch. Ch.

1856 Arthur Penrhyn Stanley. M.A., sometime Fellow of University : D.D.

1864 Walter Waddington Shirley, M.A., sometime Fellow ofWadham; D.D.

1867 Henry Longueville Mansel, B.D., sometime Fellow of St. John's, and

Waynflete Professor of Moral Philosophy; D D.

1868 William Bkight, M.A., Fellow of University ; D.D.



Peofessoeship of the Exegesis of Holy Scbiptuee.

This Professorship was founded by John Ireland, D.D., of Oriel
College, Dean of Westminster, the Founder of the Scholarships which
bear his name, who bequeathed to the University the sum of



Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 7 of 24)