University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 8 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 8 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Peofessoeship of Modeen European Languages.

Founded in fulfilment of the intention of Sir Robert Taylor, (for
which see the article on the " Taylor Institution,") and endowed with
a stipend of £500 a-year from the Taylor fund, but suppressed in
1869. The Professor was elected by the Curators of the Institution,
subject to the approval of Convocation, for five years at a time, after
which he might be elected again. He was obliged to be matriculated
before his admission to the office.

Professors.

1S4S Frederick Henrv Trithen (Dr. Ph.), M.A., University
1SJ4 Friedrich Max Midler, M.A., Ch. Ch.; Fellow of All Souls.



Coepus Cheisti Peofessoeship of the Latin Language

AND LlTEEATGRE.

Founded in 1854, as the Corpus Professorship of Latin Literature, by
the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College in accordance with
the intention of their Founder, Bishop Fox, and endowed with a sti-
pend of ,£600 a-year from the revenues of the College, the Professor
occupying the position of an Honorary Fellow in that Society.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the F/ni-
versity and Corpus Christi College respectively, an Official Fellowship
in that College is attached to the Professorship, and the Professor is
to receive from the College a stipend of £700 a-year, in addition to
the emoluments, amounting to £200 a-year, of an Ordinary Fellowship.
On the falling in of a bequest made by the late John Conington,
M.A., the fir*t holder of the Professorship, for the endowment of his
Chair, the above mentioned payment of £700 a-year will be reduced
b}' the amount of such bequest.

The Professor is henceforth to be elected by a Board consisting of
the Vice-Chancellor, the Regius Professor of Greek, the Camden
Professor of Ancient History the Professor of Latin in the University
of Cambridge, a member of Corpus Christi College nominated on each
occasion by the College to act on that occasion, a person nominated as



72 PROFESSORS.

a permanent Elector by the College subject to the approval of Convo-
cation, and a person similarly nominated by the Hebdomadal Council,
subject to the Bame approval.

Professor 8.

1854 John Caningtan, "M.A., Fellow of University

1870 E1>.
1878 IIi:nuv Nkttleshii', M.A., sometime Fellow of Lincoln ; Fellow of Corpus.



Chichele Peofessoeship of International Law.

This Professorship was founded by the Ordinance of the University
Commissioners of 1854 relating to All Souls College, the Professor

being designated " Chichele's Professor of International Law and
Diplomacy," and was endowed with the emoluments of five suppressed
Fellowships in the College.

The first Professor was elected in 1859.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and for All Souls College respectively, the stipend of the Professor,
who is now designated the " Chichele Professor of International Law,"
-will hereafter be ,£900 a-year, of which £200 is the emolument of a
Fellowship to be held by him in All Souls College, and £700 a pay-
ment from the revenues of the College. The Professor is to be elected
by a Board consisting of the Visitor of All Souls College, the Lord
( iiancellor of Great Britain, the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs,
the President of the Probate, Divorce, and Admiralty Division of the
High Court of Justice, and a person nominated on each occasion by
the \Yarden and Fellows of All Souls College to act as an Elector on
that occasion.

Professors.

1859 Mmmtosme Bernard, B.C.L., sometime Scholar of Trinity ; afterwards Fellow

of All Souls ; D.C.L.
1>74 Thomas Erskine Holland. M.A., B.C.L., sometime Fellow of Exeter;

Fellow of All Souls ; D.C.L.



Chichele Peofessoeship of Modern Histoey.

This Professorship was founded by the same Ordinance and with the
same endowment as the Professorship of International Law and Diplo-
macy. The first Professor was elected in 1862.

The future endowment of the Professorship is provided for to the
same extent and in the same manner as that of the Professorship of
International Law.

The Professor is to be elected by a Board consisting of the Visitor
of All Souls College, the Chancellor of the University, the Regius



WATNPLETB PROFESSORSHIP OF CHEMISTRY. 73

Professor of Modern History, the Camden Professor of Ancient History,
;u id a person nominated on each occasion by the Warden and Fellows
of All Souls College to act as an Elector on that occasion.

Professor.
1SG2 Montagu Burrows, M.A., Magdalen Hall ; Fellow of All Souls.



Waynflete Professorship of Moral and Metaphysical

Philosophy.

This was one of four Professorships directed by the Ordinance of
the University Commissioners of 1854 relating to Magdalen College
to be founded within that College in lieu of three Protectorships
mentioned in its ancient Statutes, and to be maintained with a stipend
of ,£600 a-year for each.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and for Magdalen College respectively, the Professor's stipend will
ultimately consist of the emoluments (amounting to ,£200 a-year) of a
Fellowship in the College attached to the Professorship, and of a pay-
ment of ,£600 a year from the corporate revenues of the College.

The Professor is to be elected by a Board consisting of the Chan-
cellor of the University, the Visitor and the President of Magdalen
College, the Eegius Professors of Divinity and of 'Civil Law, the
Wykeham Professor of Logic, and a person nominated on each occasion
by the Hebdomadal Council to act as an Elector on that occasion. If
the President of Magdalen College is unable to act as an Elector, the
College may appoint a person to act in his stead.

Professors.

1859 Henry Longueville Mansel, B.D., sometime Fellow of St. John's ; afterwards

Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History ; D.D.
1867 Hexry William Chaxller, M.A., Fellow of Pembroke.



Waynflete Pkofessoeship of Chemistry.

This was another of the four Professorships directed by the Ordinance
of the University Commissioners of 1854 relating to Magdalen College
to be founded within the College.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and for Magdalen College respectively, the Professor's stipend will
ultimately consist of the emoluments (amounting to ,£200 a-year) of a
Fellowship in the College attached to the Professorship, and of a payment
of d£600 a-year from the revenues of the College.

The Professor is to be elected by a Board, consisting of the Visitor
and the President of Magdalen College, the Professor of Experimental
Philosophy, the Professor of Chemistry in the University of Cam-
bridge, the President of the College of Physicians, the President of



i [ FROFESSOKS.

th.> Bojal Society, and a person nominated on eacli occasion by the
Hebdomadal Council to ad as an Elector on that occasion.

The Professor has the charge of the Chemical Laboratories at the
University Museum.

Professors.

1865 Sir Benjamin Collins Brodie, Bart, B.A., Balliol, M.A.
l^7_' William Odling, 31. A., Fellow of Worcester.



Linacre Professorship of Human and Comparative

Anatomy.

Under Ordinances of the University Commissioners of 1854 relating
to Merton College, a Professorship called the " Linacre Professorship
of Physiology" was founded, and endowed with the emoluments of four
Fellowships in that College to an amount not exceeding ,£800 a-year.

Under a Statute made for the University by the Commissioners of
1877 the designation of the Professorship was changed to that of the
" Linacre Professorship of Human and Comparative Anatomy," and
under Statutes made by the same Commissioners for Merton College a
Fellowship in that College, with, an emolument of ,£200 a-year, was
attached to the Professorship, and a further stipend of £700 a-year
directed to be -paid by the College to the Professor.

The Professor is elected by a Board consisting of the Visitor of
Merton College, the Presidents of the College of Physicians and
the College of Surgeons, the "Waynflete Professor of Physiology, a
member of Merton College appointed by the College on the occasion of
each election to act as an Elector on that occasion, the Kegius Pro-
fessor of Medicine, and a person appointed on each occasion by the
Hebdomadal Council to act as an Elector on that occasion.

The Professor has the charge of the Anatomical and Ethnological
Collections and the Anatomical Laboratories in the University
Museum.

Professors.

I860 George Polleston, D.M., Fellow of Pembroke

1^1 IIenhy Nottidge Moseley, M.A., sometime Fellow of Exeter; Fellow
of Merton.

Demonstrator of Anatomy.

(See ante page 65. )

1SG0 Charles Eobertson.



Hope Professorship of Zoology.

Founded in 1861 by the Rev. Frederick William Hope, M.A. and
Hon. D.C.L., formerly of Ch. Ch., to whose munificence the University
is also indebted for a large Entomological Collection, a library of



CORPUS CHRISTI PROFESSORSHIP OF PHILOLOGY. 75

Natural History, and a vast Collection of Engraved Portraits, and en-
dowed l>y him with a capital sum of £10,000 New £3 per cent.
Annuities. Mr. Hope died in the early part of 1862 ; and shortly
afterwards his widow, in fulfilment of his intentions, transferred to the
University a second sum of £10,000 in the same stock, and assigned
one-third of the dividends to the Professor in augmentation of his
stipend. Mrs. Hope assigned another third part of the dividends as a
stipend for the Keeper of the Hope Collection of Engravings men-
tioned at the end of the article on the Bodleian Library, and directed
the remainder to be applied in equal portions to keeping up and in-
creasing the two Hope Collections. In December, 18G4, Mrs. Hope
gave a further sum of £1666 13s. 4d. in the same Stock, to augment
the stipend of the Keeper of the Engravings, for the purpose of en-
abling him to employ an assistant and to meet expenses incidental to
his duties. Owing to a change of investment the annual income of
the combined endowments now amounts to about £800, of which the
Professor's share is eight-thirteenths, the Keeper's three-thirteenths,
and the residue is paid to the Curators of the Hope Collections.

The Founder himself nominated the first Professor ; but the elec-
tion is now vested in the Curators of the Hope Collections and the
Linacre Professor. At the time of his admission he must be at least a
Master of Arts or a Bachelor of Civil Law or Medicine. He is required
to superintend and arrange the Hope Collection of Annulose Animals,
and to take charge of the Natural History portion of the Hope Library.

The Hope Curators are the Vice-Chancellor, the two Proctors, the
Eegius Professor of Medicine, the Keeper of the Ashmolean Mu-
seum, and the Hope Professor by virtue of their respective offices, with
two non-official Curators, nominated as occasion may require by the
Curators for the time being, subject to the approval of Convocation.
The present non-official Curators are Sir Henry W. Acland, K.C.B.,
P.M., late Fellow of All Souls, Edward Chapman, M.A., Fellow of
Magdalen, and Henry N. Moseley, M.A., Fellow of Merton, Linacre
Professor of Human and Comparative Anatomy.

Professor.
1861 John Obadiah Westwood, M. A., Hon. Fellow of Magdalen.



Corpus Christi Professorship of Comparative Philologt.

This Professorship was founded by the University in 1868, and
endowed with a stipend of £600 a-year. The Statute of Foundation
named the first Professor.

Provision having been made under Statutes made by the Com-
missioners of 1877 for Corpus Christi College for the endowment of the
Professorship out of the revenues of that College, the Professorship is
henceforth to be styled the " Corpus Christi Professorship of Comparative
Philology."

The Professor is to receive from the College a stipend of £700



7G PEOFESSOBS.

a-war, io addition to tlic emoluments (,£200 a-year) of a Fellowship
in the College attached i the Professorship.

Be is t be elected by a Board consisting of the Regius Professor of
Hebrew and Greek, the Corpus Christi Professor of the Latin Lan-
guage and Literature, the Boden Professor of Sanskrit, the Pawlin-
Bonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon, a member of Corpus Christi College
nominated on each occasion by the College to act as an Elector on that
occasion, and a person nominated as a permanent Elector by the
College subject to the approval of Convocation.

Professor.

1568 Friedricu Mas Mullbb, 31. A., Fellow of All Souls, sometime Taylorian

Professor of Modern European Languages.

Deputy Professor 1 .
] v 7i'. Archibald Henry Sayce, M.A., Fellow of Queen's.

Coepus Cheisti Peofessoeship of Jueispeudence.

This Professorship was founded in 1869 by the President and Fellows
of Corpus Christi College, and endowed with a stipend of ,£600 a-year
from the revenues of the College.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877 for the Univer-
sity and Corpus Christi College respectively, a Fellowship in that
College, with an emolument of ,£'200 a-year, is annexed to the Pro-
fessorship, and the Professor also receives from the College a stipend,
if he be resident, of £700 a-year, and if not, of £300 a year.

The Professor holds office for five years from election, but is re-
eligible. The Board of Electors consists of the Pegius Professor of
Civil Law, the Chichele Professor of International Law and Diplomacy,
a member of Corpus Christi College nominated on each occasion by
the College to act as an Elector on that occasion, a person (at present
Albert Venn Dicey, B.C.L., M.A., Vinerian Professor of Common Law)
nominated as a permanent Elector by Corpus Christi College subject to
the approval of Convocation, and a person (at present William Markby,
D.C.L., Fellow of All Souls.) nominated as a permanent Elector by
the Hebdomadal Council subject to the like approval.

The Professor is required to reside within the University for twenty-
eight days at least in each academical year, during full University
Term ; and in order to complete such residence he must have passed
twenty-eight nights in Oxford. One clear week-day at least must inter-
vene between the delivery by him cf any two of his statutable lectures.

Professors.

1569 Henry .Tamos Sumner Maine, (LL.D., Trinity Hall, Cambridge"), Hon.

D.C.L. M.A., Corpus, afterwards Sir H. J. S. Maine, K.C.S.I., Master of
Trinity Hall, Cambridge.
1883 Frederick Pollock l ML A. .sometime Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge),
M. A., Fellow of Corpus ; re-elected in 1888.

1 Appointed under Decree of Convocation of February 15, 1876.



WAYNFLETE PROFESSORSHIP OF PHYSIOLOGY. 77



Slade Professorship of Fine Art.

Founded in 1869 in pursuance of the Will of Felix Slade, Esq., and
endowed by his Executors with a capital sum of .£12,000 Reduced £o
per cent. Annuities (now represented by £12,203 lis. 11*7. invested i n
mortgage and £34 3*. 10c/. Reduced Annuities, the combined income
amounting to about £400 a-year). The Professor is elected for three
years only, but may be re-elected. The election is made by a beard
of seven persons, namely, three Curators of the University Galleries,
Bodley's Librarian, the President of the Royal Academy of London,
the President of University College, London, and one other appointed
for the present by Mr. Slade's Executors.

Professors.

18T.9 John Raskin, M.A., Hon. Student of Ch. Ck.

1879 Willinm Blake Richmond, M.A., Ch. Ch.

1883 John Ruskin, M.A., re-elected

1885 Hubert Herkomer, M.A., Hon. Fellow of All Souls.



Professor of Chinese.

James Legge (LL.D. Aberdeen), M.A. Corpus, was appointed in 1870
for life or for so long as he shall think fit to retain the office. The
stipend consists of an annuity arising from a capital sum of about
£3000 raised by promoters of the study of Chinese, to which are added
the emoluments of one of the Fellowships of Corpus Christi College and
,£100 a-year paid out of the University Chest.



Professorship of Celtic.

Founded in 187G by the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, and
now by them endowed with £400 a-year ; the stipend is made up to
£000 a-year from the University Chest.

The Professor is elected by the Vice-Chancellor, the Principal of
Jesus College, the Corpus Christi Professor of Comparative Philology,
a person nominated on each occasion by Jesus College to act as an
Elector on that occasion, and a person nominated as a permanent Elector
by the Hebdomadal Council subject to the approval of Convocation.

Professor.
1877 John Rh£s, M.A., sometime Fellow of Merton ; Fellow of Jesus.

Waynflete Professorship of Physiology.

This Professorship was founded by a Statute made for the University
by the Commissioners of 1877. The Professor is elected by a board
consisting of the Visitor and the President of Magdalen College, the
Regius Professor cf Medicine, the Linacre Professor of Human and



78 rnoFEssons.

Comparative Anatomy, the Presidents of the College of Surgeons and
t!ir College of Physicians, and a person appointed on each occasion by
the Hebdomadal Council t act as an Elector on that occasion. If the
President of Magdalen < lollege is nnable to act as an Elector, the College
may appoint a person to act in his stead.

Under Statutes made by the same Commissioners for Magdalen Col-

. a Fellowship in the College, with an emolument of ,£200 a-year,

is attached to the Professorship, and the Professor receives in addition,

out of the corporate revenues of the College, the annual sum of £000.

Professor.
1SS3 John Scott Bitidon Sanderson, M. A., Fellow of Magdalen.



Oriel Professorship of the Interpretation of
Holy Scripture.

Under Statutes made by the Commissioners of 1877, for the Univer-
sity and for Oriel College respectively, it was provided that a Canonry
in Rochester Cathedral, formerly annexed to the Provostship of Oriel
College, should on a vacancy be severed therefrom, and be henceforth
permanently annexed to a Professorship in the University, to be called
the " Oriel Professorship of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture."
These provisions took effect on the death, in 1882, of Dr. Hawkins,
formerly Provost of Oriel College.

Ko person is eligible to the Professorship who is not in Priest's
Orders of the Church of England.

The Professor is elected by a board consisting of the Archbishop of
Canterbury, the Bishop of Rochester, the Vice-Chancellor, the Provost
of Oriel College, and the Regius Professor of Divinity.

The Professorship is tenable with Dean Ireland's Professorship of
the Exegesis of Holy Scripture (see ante, p. 70).

Professors.

1883 John Wordsworth, M. A., Fellow of Brasenose; Fellow of Oriel

1SS5 Thomas Kelly Cheyne, M. A., sometime Fellow of Balliol ; Fellow of Oriel.



Ford's Professorship of English History.

In 1870 the University accepted a bequest of ,£2000 in £3 per cent.
Reduced Annuities, which was contained in the "Will of the Rev. James
Ford, B.D., formerly Fellow of Trinity College and Vicar of Kavestock,
Essex. The amount of the bequest is to be allowed to accumulate
until it produces the clear annual sum of £100, which annual sum
is to be applied for the founding and endowing of a Professor, to be
called Ford's Professor of English History. The accumulation has now
reached the prescribed limit, but no Statute has yet been framed to
regulate the mode of appointment to, or the duties of, the Chair.



MERTON PROFESSORSHIP OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE, ETC. 79

Lincoln and Merton Professorship of Classical
Archaeology and Art.

This Professorship was established by the University Commissioners
under the Act of 1877, but owing to the disapproval of the Statutes
made by them for Lincoln College the Professorship was not finally con-
stituted until 1884. Merton College was associated with Lincoln in
the endowment of the Professorship under a Statute made by the
University in 1887.

The Professor is elected by a Board consisting of a person nominated
on each occasion by the Sector and Fellows of Lincoln College to act
as an Elector on that occasion, two persons respectively nominated in
like manner by Merton College and by the Hebdomadal Council, the
Regius Professor of Greek, the Corpus Professor of Latin, the Camden
Professor, and the principal Keeper of Antiquities in the British
Museum.

His duties are to lecture and give instruction on the arts and manu-
factures, monuments, coins, and inscriptions of classical antiquity, and
on Asiatic and Egyptian antiquities, or on some of those subjects.
He also has the charge of the University Collection of Casts, and of the
Arundel and Pom fret Marbles.

The emoluments of the Professorship consist of a Fellowship in
Lincoln College, and of ,£300 a year, or such other sum as shall
represent the value of one Fellowship in Merton College.

Professors.

1P85 William Mitchell Ramsay, M.A., Fellow of Exeter ; Fellow of Lincoln.
1887 Percy Gardner, M.A., sometime Fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge :
Fellow of Lincoln.

Merton Professorship of Exglish Language and
Literature.

This Professorship was founded in 1885 under a Statute made by
the University Commissioners of 1877.

The Professor is elected by a Board consisting of the Regius Pro-
fessor of Modern History, the Corpus Professor of Comparative Philo-
logy, the principal Librarian of the British Museum, Bodley's Librarian,
and a member of Merton College appointed by the College at each
election to act as an Elector on that occasion.

The duties of the Professor are to lecture and give instruction in the
history and criticism of the English Language and Literature, and on
the works of approved English authors.

The emoluments will ultimately consist of a stipend of ,£700 a year
in addition to a FelloAvship in Merton College. At present the Pro-
fessor receives a fixed sum of ,£'900 a year.

The University may at any time by Statute determine that this
Professorship shall be united with that of Anglo-Saxon, or be capable
of being held with it.

Professor.
1885 Arthur SAiirsox Napier, M. A., Exeter ; Fellow of Merton.



so



LEADERSHIPS.



Leadership of Ancient History.

By a Statute passed in 1868 a Readership of Ancient History waa
instituted for ten years from the beginning of Easter Term 18G8, and
endowed with a stipend of ^£'200 a-year payable from the revenues of
Brasenoee College under an Ordinance of the University Commissioners
of 1854. It was prolonged by subsequent Decrees of Convocation
until the end of Michaelmas Term 1883. The Leader was a
Member of Convocation, elected by a board consisting of the Vice-
Chancellor, the Principal and one of the Fellows of Brasenose, the
( lamderi Professor of Ancient History, "Whyte's Professor of Moral
Philosophy, the Chichele Professor of International Law, and the Senior
Examiner in the Classical School.

Readers.

1868 William Lambert Newman, M.A., Fellow of Balliol

1^70 William Wolfe Capes, M.A., sometime Fellow of Queen's; Fellow of
Hertford l .



Readership in Indian History.

The Eeader is nominated by the Yice-Chancellor and Proctors, the
Regius Professor of Modern History, and the Professor of Sanskrit, to
hold office (except in the case of the present Eeader, who is appointed
for life) for seven years. He is required to give lectures in Indian
History and Geography. He receives an annual stipend of ,£350 from
the University Chest, and certain fees from students.

Eeader.
1878 Sidney James Owen, M.A.2, Student of Ch. Ch.



Eeadership in Indian Law.

The Eeader is nominated by the Vice-Chancellor and Proctors, the
Professor of Comparative Philology, and the Corpus Professor of Juris-
prudence, to hold office for seven years. He is required to give lec-
tures on Indian Law, and on the Indian Systems of Land-Tenure and

1 In 18S4 Mr. Capes was appointed by the Delegates of the Common University Fund
to a Readership in Ancient History under the Statute Concerning University Readers.

2 Mr. Owen had previously held the appointment of Teacher of Indian Law and
History, having been originally appointed Teacher of Indian Law in 1801.



UNIVERSITY READERSHIPS. 81

Land-Revenue. He receives an annual stipend of ,£300 from the Uni-
versity Chest, and certain fees from students.

Reader.

1878 William Matikbt.M. A., Merton; D.C.L.; Fellow of All Souls ; Fellow of
Balliol ; re-elected in 1885.

Readership in Roman Law.

Founded in 1881 under a Statute made by the University of Oxford
Commissioners, by which it is provided that until the Regius Professor-
ship of Civil Law shall fill vacant, or until the then existing Regius



Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 8 of 24)