University of Oxford.

The historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 online

. (page 9 of 24)
Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 9 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Professor shall, by his own consent, become subject to any Statutes for
the future regulation of that Professorship and the duties of the Pro-
fessor which may be made by the Commissioners, a Reader in Roman
Law shall be appointed from time to time for successive periods of
three years.

The Reader is elected by the Regius Professor of Civil Law, the
Chichele Professor of International Law and Diplomacy, the Corpus
Professor of Jurisprudence, the Chairman for the time being of the
Council of Legal Education appointed by the Inns of Court in London,
and a person nominated by the Warden and Fellows of All Souls
College, with a view to each election.

The Reader is required to lecture, and to give private instruction, on
Roman Law and the sources and history thereof. He receives an
annual stipend of ,£400 from the revenues of All Souls College.

1881 Erwin Grueber, Jur.Doct, University of Munieh ; M. A., Balliol ; re-elected

in 1S84 and 1887.

University Readerships.

A Statute made by the University Commissioners of 1877 directed
the appointment of a number (to be ultimately not less than seven) of
University Readers, whose duty it should be to lecture and give
instruction in the subject or branch of study for which they are
respectively appointed, having regard to the arrangements made or
proposed to be made by the Professors, if any, lecturing in the same
department of study.

The emoluments of these Readers are provided from a fund called
the Common University Fund, which is chiefly formed by levying,
under the authority of another Statute of the Commissioners, a per-
centage on the annual revenues of Colleges. The administration of
this fund is committed to a board, designated the Delegates of the
Common University Fund. Every appointment of a University
Reader is made by these Delegates or by persons nominated by them
for the purpose. The ordinary stipend of a Reader is ,£300 a year,
and the Readerships are generally tenable for a term not exceeding
five years. The University however has power by Statute or Decree
to make other regulations respecting these and similar matters.



The following appointments have been made: —

Faculty of Theology.

Reader fa Ecclesiastical History.

1884 Edwin Hatch, M.A., St. Mary Hall

Faculty of Law.

Reader in English Law.
1884 Thomas Raleigh, M. A., Fellow of All Souls

Faculty of Natural Science.

Header in Anthropology.

1884 Edward Burnett Tylor, M.A., Hon. D.C.L., Balliol

Lecturer in Human Anatomy.

1885 Arthur Thomson, M.A., Exeter

Faculty of Aets.

(1) Literas Humaniores.

Reader in Greeh.
1883 Ingram Bywater, M.A., Fellow of Exeter

Reader hi Latin.
1883 Robinson Ellis, M.A., Fellow of Trinity
Readers in Ancient History.

1883 William Wolfe Capes, M.A., Fellow of Hertford
1887 Henry Francis Pelham, M.A., Fellow of Exeter

Reader in Geography.
1887 Halford John Mackinder, M.A., Ch. Ch.

(2) Oriental Languages.
Reader in Rahbinical Literature.

1884 Adolf Neubauer, M.A., Exeter

(3) Modern History.

Reader in Foreign History.
1884 Charles William Boase, M. A., Fellow of Exeter

Ox the LXX Version of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Founded in 1859 by the Rev. Edward Grinfield, M.A., formerly of
Lincoln College, who then gave ,£1000 in ,£3 per cent. Consolidated
Annuities for the endowment. The endowment has since been aug-
mented by a further gift of ,£500 in 1864, and by one of £400 in
1873. The Lecturer, who must be in Holy Orders and at least a


Master of Arts, is elected by the Hebdomadal Council for two years.
He is not to be considered as a Public University Professor or Keader.


1859 Robert Gandell, M.A., Magdalen Hall ; Fellow of Hertford

1861 Edward H. Hansell, B.D., sometime Fellow of Magdalen

1863 John Day Oollis, D.D., sometime Fellow of Worcester

1865 James A. Hessey, D.C.L., sometime Fellow of St. John's

1867 James A. Hessey, again

1869 William Kav, D.D., sometime Fellow of Lincoln

1871 Wharton Booth Marriott, B.D., Exeter

1872 Edward Haves Plumptre, M.A., Brasenose
1874 John William Nutt, M.A., Fellow of All Souls
1876 John Wordsworth, M.A., Brasenose

1878 Edward Cooper Woollconibe, M.A., Fellow of Balliol

1880 Edwin Hatch, M.A., St. Mary Hall

1882 Edwin Hatch, again

1884 Henrv Deane, B.D., Fellow of St. John's

1886 Alfred Edersheim, M.A., Ch. Ch., afterwards of Exeter

1888 Alfred Edersheim, again.


In fulfilment of tbe intention of Sir Robert Taylor, and in connection
with tbe Taylor Institution, tbere are Teachers of tbe German, French,
Italian, and Spanish Languages, who are appointed by tbe Curators of
tbe Institution, subject to the approval of Convocation. Each receives
from tbe Taylor Fund an annual stipend of £ 200, augmented by a
fee of £1 payable by every one who attends a course of Lectures (except
by those who have attended two courses and paid twice), and by some
additional payment from tbe Fund, at tbe discretion of tbe Curators.


German — 1847 Wilhelm Fradersdorff.

1862 Joseph Overheck.

1863 Bobert Bertram.

1873 Albert Hamann, Hon. M.A.

1880 Arthur Anthony Macdoxell, B.A., Corpus ; M.A.

French— 1847 Jules T. T. Bue, Hon. M.A., Magdalen.

Italian — 1856 Aurelio Saffi.

1861 Vital de Tivoli, Hon. M.A.

1883 Carlo Felice Coscia, B.A. of the University of Turin; Hon.

Spanish — 1858 Rev. Lorenzo Lucena, Hon. M.A.


In order to provide necessary instruction for Undergraduates who
have been selected, after competitive examination in London, for the
Civil Service of the Crown in India, the University in 1859 appointed
a Teacher of tbe Hindustani Language, assigning him an annual
stipend of ,£150 from tbe University Chest, and allowing him to receive
certain fees from students. This Teachership was, in 1878, made a

F 2


Teachenhip of Hindustani and Persian. The Teachership of Hin-
dustani and Peraian lias since been abolished, and two new Teacher-
ships, one of each language, formed, which may, however, be held by
the same person. A Teachership of Telugu has also been instituted.
The T( nli. rs are nominated by the Yice-Chancellor and Proctors and
the Professors of Sanskrit and Comparative Philology, to hold office for
three years. Each Teacher receives an annual stipend of £ 200 from
tli^ University Chest and certain fees from students. In the event
of flu- Teachershins of Hindustani and of Persian being held by the
same person, the Teacher receives an annual stipend of ,£300. The
Teacher of Telugu is to give instruction, if needful, in Tamil.

Teachers of Hindustani.

1ST>0 Joseph Chambers, Lient.-Colonel, formerly of the Indian Army, Hon. M.A.
18S0 Robert St. John, formerly Captain 53rd Regiment, Hon. M.A., Balliol.

Teacher of Persian.
1880 John Thompson Platts, Hon. M.A., Balliol.

Teachers of Telugu.

1878 Thomas Howley, Hon. M.A., Balliol.
1884 Geokge Uglow Pope, Hon. M.A.



Bodleian Libkary.

In the year 1480 the room over the Divinity School, -which is now
the central limb of the public portion of the Bodleian Library, and
which was then just finished, became the repository of the books which
the University had acquired by gift from various benefactors, especially
from Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, who also contributed liberal] y
to the building. But before the end of the reign of Edward VI,
partly through careless management, and partly through extravagant
zeal, it had been so entirely rifled of its contents that not one volume
remained ; and in 1556 the University, hopeless of its restoration, sold
the benches and fittings, and left the walls bare. In this state it re-
mained above forty years, till in 1598 Thomas Bodley, Esq., sometime
Fellow of Merton College, resolved to restore the room to the pur-
pose for which it w T as built, and to secure it by an endowment in land ;
and he not only contributed largely in money and books himself, but
procured also similar contributions from so many of his friends and
other persons, that in November, 1602, the Library was again opened
for use with upwards of 2000 volumes.

Books were given during the next few years beyond what the room
could hold, and in 1610 the Founder, who had now been knighted by
King James I, proceeded to build an addition to it towards the East
with a Proscholium to the Divinity School below, but he died in
January, 1613, before this enlargement was quite finished. By his
will he made provision for adding a third floor round the intended
Quadrangle of the Schools, which at first was to have had two floors
only, and for connecting this (now the Picture Gallery) with his Library,
and showed that he contemplated that other extension towards the West,
the want of which was felt in less than twenty years after his death, and
which, with the Convocation House below, was begun in 1634 and
finished in about four years.

The collection has been continually increasing, by donations, some
of which have been of great extent and value, by the right to a copy of
every work published in this country, a right to which Sir Thomas
Bodley himself gave the origin in a grant which he obtained in 1610
from the Stationers' Company, and by purchases made with moneys
arising partly from the estates given by the Founder, partly from other
benefactions, and partly from the general fund of the University ; so that
now the Library comprises more than 400,000 volumes', and occupies


every ro m in the Qnadrangle of the building, except those appropriated
bo the University Archives.

The Library is under the control of a Board of Curators, consisting
of the Vice-Chancellor, the two Proctors, the five Regius Professors of
Divinity, Civil Law, Medicine, Hebrew, and Greek, and five members
of the Congregation of the University elected for ten years by that

The administration of the Library is committed to the care of a
Librarian, elected by the Curators and approved by Convocation, with
an annual stipend of ,£1000. He is assisted by two Under-Librarians,
whom he nominates himself, subject to the approval of the Curators
and of Convocation, and who receive a yearly stipend of not less than
,£300 or more than

Online LibraryUniversity of OxfordThe historical register of the University of Oxford, completed to the end of Trinity term, 1888. Part 1 → online text (page 9 of 24)