Unknown.

Historical review of Chicago and Cook county and selected biography. A.N. Waterman ... ed. and author of Historical review (Volume 3) online

. (page 23 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

sales amounting to some $150,000. After selling his interest in this
company he engaged in the boiler compound business, his present occu-
pation. The company sells direct to customers, manufacturing boilers
to meet the requirements of special plants.

John Secord Belden, who was senior member of Belden & Bush,
general insurance agents and managers of the western department of

the Fire Association of Philadelphia, is a native of

*L " Warsaw, New York, born September 8, 1839, the

son of Dr. Charles W. and Frances (Cummings)

Belden. The schools of Alexander and Warsaw, in his native state,

furnished him with his education.

Mr. Belden was actively identified with the fire insurance business
of Chicago since March 1, 1865, and acted as representative, during
these forty-two years, of several of the leading companies of the Unit-
ed States and England. His connection with Henry W. Bush, under
the name of Belden & Bush, was formed January 1, 1902. Mr. Belden
was also a director and treasurer of the Rialto Company, and was on
the directorate of the Belden Manufacturing Company, manufacturers
of insulated wire.

On the 17th of December, 1868, Mr. Belden married Miss Amanda
W. Pool, and they became the parents of four children — Charles P.,



1 1 38 CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

John S., Jr., Joseph C. and Elizabeth. Joseph C. Belden married Miss
Mary C. Rew of Chicago, whose father, a well known manufacturer,
is now deceased. The daughter Elizabeth is the wife of Roy McWil-
liams, a Chicago lawyer. Mrs. John S. Belden died May 26, 1907,
Mr. Belden surviving her till July 18, 1908. She was widely known
in social and charitable circles, having for many years been a member
of the Woman's Club. In politics Mr. Belden was a Republican, and
his club membership was with the Union League.

Joseph C. Belden. president of the Belden Manufacturing Com-
pany, manufacturers of insulated wire for telephone and electrical ap-

paratus, was born in Chicago, on the nth of June,
•d / 1876, son of John S. and Amanda W. (Pool) Bel-

den. He is descended from an old and substantial
family of the Empire state, and his father was one of the oldest and
most prominent insurance men in this city, having represented leading
American and British companies in Chicago since 1865. Joseph C.
received a thorough preliminary education in the schools of this city,
going to Yale University for his collegiate courses and graduating
therefrom in 1897, with the degree of Ph. B.

After leaving college Mr. Belden entered the employ of the Kellogg
Switchboard and Manufacturing Company, with which he remained
until 1902, when he organized the company of which he has since been
president. Originally founded with a capital of $50,000, this amount
has since been increased to $200,000, and the plant at No. 194 Michi-
gan street is rapidly acquiring importance among the industries of the
city.

On June 7, 1902, Mr. Belden was united in marriage with Miss
Mary Campbell Rew. daughter of Francis Rew. a well known manu-
facturer. One child has been born to their union, Joseph C. Belden, Jr.
As to his social connections. Air. Belden is identified with the Univer-
sity and Saddle and Cycle clubs, and the Chicago Athletic Association,
as well as with the Yale Club of New York.

There are more victims to the virtue of faithfulness than the world

knows of. Despite the physical dangers in continuous work, there are

not a few rare characters whose conscience is so

keen and whose natures are so self-sacrificing, that
Logan. - . , . , , r

they first bring to a conclusion every task before

they turn aside to pleasure, and even take upon themselves burdens



CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY



1 139



for others beyond their strength to carry. Faithfulness and considera-
tion for others were the key-notes of the life which passed away in
the death of Floyd Tighman Logan, on July 26, 1906. So assiduously
did he devote himself to business that he seldom had little time for
recreation, although his honesty and strong character made him one
of the most popular of those connected with the sash and door industry
of Chicago.




Floyd T. Logan, the son of Captain Floyd Logan and Augusta
(Hayman) Logan, was born at Newport, Kentucky, February 20,
i860, and was therefore in the very prime of life when death claimed
him. His father was a well known steamboat captain along the Ohio
and Mississippi rivers, and in 1865 the family settled in St. Louis,
Missouri, where Floyd obtained a public school education and then
commenced to strike toward independent manhood. ' At the age of



n 4 o CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

eighteen he became connected with the N. O. Nelson Manufacturing
Company, plumbers' supplies, in the capacity of traveling representa-
tive. In 1884 he removed to Kansas City, in the same line, making his
home with the head of the firm and traveling throughout the South-
west.

Mr. Logan's first identification with the sash and door business was
as commercial traveler for the Western Sash and Door Company, of
Kansas City, and his previous experience upon the road was the means
of rapidly advancing his prospects in the new line. William Huttig,
the president of the company, soon gauged his value, and in 1889 pro-
moted him to the management of the Wichita (Kan.) Sash and Door
Company, the manufacturing branch of the parent concern. There he
remained until July 1, 1892, when he came to Chicago and was placed
in charge of a department with the firm of John A. Gauger & Com-
pany, in the following January being given an interest in the business
and assuming the management of the sales department. On January
1, 1906, the firm was incorporated as John A. Gauger & Company,
and Mr. Logan was elected to the position of secretary, treasurer and
general manager. His advancement was fully merited, since for sev-
eral years he had borne the greater burden of the active management
of the extensive business. During that period he came into only lim-
ited contact with the business world, but those with whom he was inti-
mately associated — his partner, his office employes and the factory
force — gave him their hearty co-operation and admiration, and at his
death had only affectionate remembrance for his faithful personal la-
bors and invariable consideration for those over whom he wielded such
firm but kind authority.

In 1886, the deceased was married to Miss Laura Hackett, daugh-
ter of Thomas Hackett, of Kansas City, Missouri, and the widow with
their only child, Floyd, survives him. The latter, who was born Sep-
tember 11, 1890, is now being educated at Racine College, Wisconsin,
and is a most promising young man who bids fair to perpetuate the
family name. The other members of the family who survive are an
aged mother, who resides at Denver, Colorado, and two sisters, Mrs.
L. G. McCormick, of that city, and Mrs. Samuel Leathe, of St. Louis,
Missouri. Although a member of the A. F. & A. M. (Normal Park
Lodge No. 797, of Englewood), the Royal Arcanum, and the new
South Shore Countrv, the Athletic, the Calumet and the Hamilton



CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY 1141

clubs, although formally connected with these fraternal and social or-
ganizations, and always welcome at their sessions and gatherings, Mr.
Logan was so strongly bound by domestic ties that he seldom spent an
evening from home. It is therefore to his household, to the home cir-
cle, to the wife for whom he so fondly and faithfully cared, that his
loss reverts the keenest and heaviest.

James Mackay, secretary of the Kellogg-Mackay-Cameron Com-
panv, manufacturers of boilers and radiators for heating and power

purposes, is a native of Montreal, Canada, born on
James the 2 ^ of November, 1856, being a son of

Mackay. Andrew and Jannette (Manson) Mackay. He was
educated in common and high schools of his native city and, instead
of going at once into business, followed the common-sense course of
entering an apprenticeship in plumbing and the manipulation of heat-
ing apparatus.

From 1870 to 1878 Mr. Mackay resided in Boston, there follow-
ing his trade, gaining both money and experience, and becoming well
grounded in every detail of the business. He then removed to Balti-
more, where he remained for four years, and whence he .was called
to assume the superintendency of the Steam Evaporator Company of
Charlotte, Michigan. The seven years — from 1882-89 — which cov-
ered his service in this capacity gave him a broader outlook in busi-
ness management and admirably fitted him to occupy a larger field
in Chicago.

In 1889 Mr. Mackay located in Chicago as salesman for the
Richardson & Boynton Company, whose principal business was the
manufacture and installation of furnaces and heating plants, and,
after a successful four years with that concern, in 1893 he identified
himself with the American Boiler Company, with which he remained
until 1898. In the latter year he became a member of the firm known
as the Kellogg-Mackay-Cameron Company, whose business is exten-
sive in bulk and broad in scope, for it not only embraces the manu-
facture of boilers and radiators, but the jobbing of heating and steam-
fitters' supplies. The branches of the company are in New York,
Minneapolis, Kansas City and Seattle, and the officers as follows :
Clarence V. Kellogg, president ; James Mackay, secretary, and W. A.
Cameron, treasurer. Mr. Mackay is also director of the Kewanee

Vol. Ill— 15.



1 142 CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

Boiler Company and of the Federal Boiler & Supply Company, being
prominent in the field which he has so long occupied.

In 1876 Mr. Mackay married Miss Christina E. Imrie, at Mon-
treal, Canada, and one child, Elizabeth Scott Mackay, has been born
to them. Mr. Mackay is - a Shriner in Masonry, a member of St.
Bernard Commandery and Medinah Temple. In religion, he is a
Presbyterian.

As a manufacturer of packing boxes and a dealer in all kinds of

lumber, Charles William Tegtmeyer is a large figure in the Chicago

field, being in the active management and develop-

„ ' ment of a business which was established by his

Tegtmeyer. ■ tt j .

father more than thirty-rive years ago. He is a

native Chicagoan, born on the 15th of December, 1866, being a son
of Christopher and Christina (Meyerding) Tegtmeyer. After re-
ceiving a public school education and a training in Bryant & Strat-
ton's Business College, at the age of fifteen he entered his father's
factory, and in succeeding years learned all the details both of the
manufacture of boxes and the office management of the business.

The business was continued by Christopher Tegtmeyer and his
three sons until the death of his father in 1886. At that time it was
incorporated as the Tegtmeyer Lumber & Box Company, with
Charles W. as secretary, and thus continued until 1893, when, on
account of the ill health of one. brother and the death of another, the
former became sole proprietor of the business, as at present. He is
not only a large manufacturer of packing boxes, but a dealer in all
kinds of lumber, lath and shingles, and no member of the trade is
more popular or has a more substantial standing. He is also a lead-
ing member of the Builders' & Traders' Exchange and other business
associations. He belongs to the Order of the Hoo Hoo and the
Royal Arcanum (Garden City Council), and is a member of the
Illinois Athletic Association. In his religious faith, he is an earnest
Lutheran, having long been a trustee of the Zion German Lutheran
church.

Mr. Tegtmeyer 's wife was known before marriage as Miss Hen-
rietta Nachtway, and by their union, which occurred in Chicago,
April 21, 1897, three children have been born to them: Mildred,
Henrietta and Charlotte. The family reside at No. 1151 Douglas
boulevard, on the west side.



' :[; Wi



ASTqr






w
















CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY 1143

Samuel Eugene Bliss, senior partner of Bliss & Laughlin, manu-
facturers of shafting, is a native of Jericho, Vermont, born on the

31st of January, 1846, son of Samuel Butler and
— ' ' Sally Clarissa (Cadwell) Bliss. After graduating

' from the academy at Underhill, that state, in 1862,
he commenced his life of industry by entering his father's shop and
engaging as a blacksmith and carriage builder until 1864. During
the succeeding four years he was employed as a clerk in a hardware
store at Burlington, Vermont, and on the 23rd of March, 1868,
arrived in Chicago.

Mr. Bliss has therefore been a resident of this city for forty
years, and is classed as one of its pioneer business men and industrial
promoters. For a period of seventeen years he was trained in all
the details of office work and the mysteries of salesmanship, both over
the counter and on the road. The result was that in 1885, when he
commenced business for himself as a dealer in machinery, he was
thoroughly prepared both to found and develop his enterprise in all
its departments. His success was quickly realized and continuously
augmented, and in February, 1891, he disposed of his lucrative busi-
ness to engage in the manufacture of shafting. In 1891 he associ-
ated himself with John L. Laughlin in that line of industry, and in-
corporated the concern in January, 1897. The manufacturing plant
is located at Harvey, Illinois, and the business office at No. 10 South
Canal street, Chicago, about one hundred men being employed alto-
gether. Mr. Bliss has been president and treasurer of the establish-
ment from the first. He is also vice-president and member of the
finance committee of the Metropolitan Trust & Savings Bank, and is
president of a mining corporation in Alaska. He has been a director
in the Illinois Manufacturers' Association for the past five years.

At Saginaw, Michigan, on the 29th of September, 1869, Mr.
Bliss was united in marriage with Miss Mary Frances Hickok, and
they now reside at No. 3636 Lake avenue. He is a member of the
Masonic fraternity, and by virtue of his patriotic ancestry is identified
with the Sons of the American Revolution. He is viceroy of the
Grand Imperial Council of the Red Cross of Constantine, and in
1908 will be in order of succession to the. office of grand sovereign
of that order. He is also president of the Illinois State Rifle Asso-



1 144 CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

ciation, and is identified with both the Hamilton Club and the Chicago
Athletic Association, having a life membership in the latter organiza-
tion.

Fred M. Gale, president of the Bristol & Gale Company, has been
a dealer in agricultural implements in Chicago for a period of nearly

,_, % , thirty-eight years, and during; most of that time has

Fred M. .

r been connected with a large and growing business.

He is a native of Barre, Vermont, born December
29, 1839, being a son of Julius C. and Almira (Drury) Gale. His
father was a farmer, and after the son had obtained an education in
the public schools of his native village he became an active agricultur-
ist himself. This training and experience eventually led him into his
present field of business and ensured his success in it. In 1862, at the
age of twenty-three, Mr. Gale enlisted in the Thirteenth Vermont In-
fantry for the nine months service, at the conclusion of which (in De-
cember, 1863) he re-enlisted in the Eighth Vermont Infantry, continu-
ing therein until the close of the war.

At the conclusion of the Rebellion Mr. Gale returned to his home
in Barre, Vermont, first engaging in farming and later in mercantile
pursuits. In 1870 he located in Chicago, as the center of the great
agricultural west, and securing a position with Emerson, Stafford &
Company at once entered a field of salesmanship with which he was
familiar. With this house, as with W. H. Banks & Company, he made
a fine record in the sale of agricultural implements, and in 1877 joined
E. S. Bristol in the establishment of an independent house, under the
firm style of E. S. Bristol & Company. In 1887 the business, which
had been developed to large proportions, was incorporated as the Bris-
tol & Gale Company, of which Mr. Gale is now president ; W. J. Bris-
tol, son of the orginal senior partner, vice president; and Fred Gale,
son of Fred M., secretary and treasurer.

In February, 1867, Fred M. Gale was married to Miss Helen A.
Putnam, daughter of Abel Putnam, of Johnson, Vermont, and they
have become the parents of three children : Fred, George B. and
Helen M. Fred, the eldest, married M ; ss Ellis Brown, of Chicago;
George B. married Miss Florence Robertson, also of this city; and
Helen M. became the wife of John C. Leonard, treasurer of the Leon-
ard Seed Company. Mr. and Mrs. Gale also adopted a daughter, Belle



CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY 1145

G. Scribner, whom they reared and educated from the age of eleven
years, and who is now the wife of Herbert E. Skinner, of this city.
Mr. Gale is quiet and domestic, but social, and his religious faith has
long been that of Unitarianism, and for many years he has been a
member of the Third Unitarian church of the west side, of which he
is still a trustee. He is a member of the George H. Thomas Post No.
5, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Menoken Club, a west side
organization. In politics he has never deviated from general Repub-
lican policies since he cast his first vote in the first year of the Civil
war; but in the administration of local matters his support is given on
the basis of personal fitness and sectional benefit.

William Andrew Birk, president of the Birk Brothers' Brewing
Company, well-known brewers and bottlers, was born in Chicago, No-
vember 11, 1 86 1, being the son of Jacob and Mag-
■p, dalena Birk. He was educated in the public schools

of his native city, his first business venture being
with a board of trade firm, with whom he remained until 1882. In
that year he became associated with the Wacker & Birk Brewing
Company, which his father had just assisted to organize, and re-
mained in this connection until August, 1891. At that time the busi-
ness of the company was sold to the English corporation known as
the Chicago Breweries, Limited, and the elder Birk, with his sons,
William A. and Edward J., purchased the Corper & Nockin plant on
Webster avenue, and incorporated the Birk Brothers' Brewing Com-
pany. In 1895 Jacob Birk retired as a director of the company and
from active business life altogether. His wife had passed away De-
cember 17, 1900.

Since the incorporation and organization of the Birk Brothers'
Brewing Company, in 1891, William A. Birk has been president and
Edward J. its secretary and treasurer. In politics, William A. is a
Democrat. He is a member of Lincoln Park Lodge No, 611, A. F.
& A. M., the Germania Maennerchor, the Chicago Athletic Associa-
tion, the South Shore Country and the Industrial clubs. In Septem-
ber, 1903, he was married at Russells, Ohio, to Miss Rosalind Brit-
ton, and the family residence is at No. 688 Fullerton avenue.



ii 4 6 CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

Edward John Birk, secretary and treasurer of Birk Brothers
Brewing Company, whose large brewing and bottling plant is on Web-

ster avenue, is a native of Chicago, born April 2,
"„ 1867. He is a son of Jacob and Lena (Woelflin)

Birk, his father having been born in Germany and
being in early manhood a harnessmaker. He came to Chicago in 1854,
prospered in trade and business, and for many years conducted a hotel
on West Lake street. In 1881 he became associated with Fred Wacker
& Son, then engaged in the malting business, and in the following year
became associated with the firm in brewing operations under the firm
name of the Wacker & Birk Brewing Company. In 1891 the business
was sold to the English corporation, the Chicago Breweries, Limited,
and Jacob Birk and his two sons, William A. and Edward J., incor-
porated the Birk Brothers' Brewing Company. Since the founding of
the company, at that time, William A. has been president and Edward
J. Birk, secretary and treasurer. The basis of the complete and ex-
tensive plant was the Corper & Nockin brewery, purchased in 1891,
and since remodeled and enlarged. The elder Birk retired from his
connection with the business in 1895. The mother of Edward J.
passed away December 17, 1900.

Edward J. Birk began business life in 1882 in connection with
a board of trade commission firm. He was thus engaged until 1889
when he spent eight months on the Pacific coast, and, returning to
Chicago, commenced to learn the brewer's trade with the Wacker &
Birk Brewing Company. In 1891, as stated, father and sons organ-
ized the Birk Brothers' Brewing Company, with which he has since
been identified in his present capacity.

On October 5, 1892, Mr. Birk married Miss Amanda Markus, and
one child has been born to them, Amanda Markus. In politics he is
a Democrat, and is a member of the Germania Maennerchor, of which
he was a director, the Illinois Athletic Association, South Shore Coun-
try, Chicago Athletic, Chicago Automobile and Steam Yacht clubs.

Charles Brockway Gibson is one of the most widely known
assayers, mining experts, chemists and medico-legal witnesses in the

west. He is a native of Massena, St. Lawrence

ct RLE n B counl y< New York ' born on the 6th of Au S ust '

1854, being a son of Otis and Chloe (Brockway)
Gibson. He spent the first eighteen years of his life on a Vermont



CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY 1147

farm, working and acquiring a common and a high school education.
Coming west he became a student in the University of Illinois at
Champaign, graduating from that institution in 1877 m DOtn tne
chemical and military courses. Prior to his entrance to the state
university he had traveled for several years in New England as a
salesman and assistant manager of a lyceum course. After his grad-
uation he spent a year with a gold, silver and lead refining company,
when he entered the drug business, which, with the study of medi-
cine, he continued for about two years. He next entered the College
of Physicians and Surgeons, and after a full course therein gradu-
ated in 1885 with the degree of M. D.

In the meantime Professor Gibson's reputation had been expand-
ing. After three years of practical work with G. A. Mariner and
C. G. Wheeler, in 1882 he had been elected to the chair of chemistry
in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, which he held until 1890,
or five years after his graduation in medicine. In 1888 he became
professor of chemistry and metallurgy in the Chicago College of
Dental Surgery, serving thus for eight years; also held the same
chair for one year in the Hahnemann Medical College and the North-
western Dental School. Since 1879, while carrying along these vari-
ous professional courses and ably performing the functions of his
professorships, he has also conducted a large private practice as an
assayer, chemist, metallurgist and mining engineer. He has done
much expert and legal work, notably in the Luetgert, Blydenberg
and other cases, in which the verdicts depended so materially upon
the results of chemical analyses. At the present time he confines
himself almost entirely to general chemical work and the examination
of mines.

Professor Gibson is a member of the American Chemical Society,
Berlin Chemische Gesellschaft and Berlin Zuchverein. Well known
in Chicago, he is also a familiar figure in the mining regions of the
United States, Canada and Mexico, his services in the last named
country being in frequent demand as an expert examiner of mining
property. For years he was popular and prominent in military cir-
cles. He served in the Vermont militia for three years, and in 1877
graduated from the University of Illinois (military course) with the
rank of captain and adjutant, and for seven years was identified



n 4 8 CHICAGO AND COOK COUNTY

with the National Guard of the state, in which he still holds a cap-
taincy, without command. Although he enlisted for the Spanish-
American war, he was not called into the service. The Professor is
also a Mason of high rank and long standing, being a member of
Blaney Lodge No. 271, A. F. and A. M. ; Lincoln Park Chapter No.
177. R. A. M. ■ Chicago Council No. 4, R. and S. M. ; Lincoln Park
Commandery No. 64. K. T., and Medinah Temple of the Mystic
Shrine, all of Chicago. Socially he is identified with the Illinois
Athletic Association and Hamilton Club. His wife was formerly
Miss Eva Catherine Clapp, to whom he was married on June 29,
1 891.

Charles Chauncey Curtiss, projector, and, at the present time,

manager of the magnificent Fine Arts building on Michigan avenue,