of hardships, the coaches were given an unani-
mous vote of confidence by the Alumni Asso-
ciation board of directors which met on
Halfback Tony Benson of Chester, S. C, Full-
back Ken Webb of Decatur, Ga., and Quarter-
back Bob Waters of Sylvania, Ga., produced
virtually all of the fireworks of a squad which
found seven freshmen handling varsity assign-
ments on the first two units.
The 1957 record: Tiedâ€” Lenoir-Rhyne (0-0);
Lost â€” Clemson (0-66); Appalachian (7-20);
Wofford (7-28) ; Tampa (14-39) ; Elon (14-35) ;
Citadel (0-21); East Carolina (0-6); and New-
Hall of Fame
DRESBYTERIAN College Athletic Director
Walter A. Johnson has been selected for the
Hall of Fame of the National Association of
Announcement came from NAIA Executive-
Secretary A. O. Duer who said that Johnson
will be honored, along with other nominees,
at the Hall of Fame banquet in St. Petersburg,
Fla., on December 20. He will receive a special
plaque at that time, and his name and picture
will be placed in the Hall of Fame located at
Helms Hall in Los Angeles.
Now Serving 43rd Year
Johnson, now serving his 43rd year as athletic
director at PC, was selected for this latest hon-
or because of his outstanding career as a "con-
tributor to the cause of intercollegiate
Walter Albert Johnson came to Presbyterian
College in 1915 and he has labored in its ath-
letic plant ever since that time, except for
leaves of absence to serve in World War I and
World War II. He was head football coach for
the first 25 years, one of the longest tenures
of active coaching at one institution on record.
Given Honorary Degree
Four years ago, Presbyterian College broke
a long-standing rule against citing one of its
own staff members by awarding Johnson an
honorary doctor of laws degree at commence-
ment. The trustees, in so doing, cited him for
a lifetime "dedicated to developing in our
youth the strong sinews of Christian manhood
. . . His leadership has been the means of stim-
ulating the fine esprit de corps long associated
with Presbyterian College students and alum-
ni .. . He takes the broad gauge view of athletics
as a character builder, and as its champion
through the years, he has reflected credit not
only upon this institution but upon all sports
everywhere. . ."
Other institutions share this estimate, as
Walter Johnson, l'C's Dean of Sports,
Chosen for High Honor by NAIA
pointed out by PC President Marshall W.
Brown in these words:
"The most significant thing, perhaps, about
Johnson's career is the high esteem shown him
by rival colleges, groups and individuals. I
recall in 1935, Johnson's 20th year with PC,
when the student body of the University of
South Carolina presented him with a sterling
silver service in appreciation for an influence
helpful to college sports far beyond the campus
of the institution he directly serves.
Clemson Honors Him, Too
"Five years later, on his 25th anniversary of
service, Clemson shifted its annual football
opener with Presbyterian to Clinton in order
to pay tribute to the occasion. And a voluntary
contribution taken by the Clemson student
body found every cadet on the campus donat-
ing to present Johnson with an engraved desk
set. Then more recently, several years ago,
Greenville named him honorary mayor of the
city in special ceremonies."
Where Credit Is Due
To Johnson goes most of the credit for devel-
oping Presbyterian College's outstanding ath-
letic plant and its well-rounded sports pro-
gram. He was instrumental in establishing the
first coaching school in the South at the Uni-
versity of South Carolina in 1922 and served
as football and track coach of this summer
clinic. He played a vital part in the founding
of the state intercollegiate track meet and still
serves as chairman each year. He first brought
college boxing to South Carolina. And it was
Johnson who set the pattern for night football
bv giving PC the state's first floodlighted foot-
These accomplishments will be honored on
December 20 â€” and so will some of his great
victories on the football field. But the biggest
entry beside the name of Walter A. Johnson is
the influence he has had upon hundreds of
young men in teaching them to give every
obstacle a hard, clean fight.
Down The Avenue Of Classes
Dr. James W. Davis of Clinton
has been named the "Outstanding
Citizen of South Carolina" for
1957 by the South Carolina Moose
Association. He was presented a
plaque honoring his selection at
the Moose state convention.
Mrs. Donnan '10
Miss Fronde Kennedy recently
moved from Red Springs, N. C,
to Spartanburg, S. C, where her
new address is 186 N. Fairview
Mrs. James Watts Copeland's
new Greenville, S. C, address is:
8 Douglas Drive.
The Rev. Young Perry Scruggs
recently moved from Floyd, Va.,
to Roanoke, Va., where he now
resides at 731 Murray Avenue,
Mrs. Mollie Irene Davidson (J.
Hugh) Donnan is now serving her
23rd year as a teacher in the Clin-
ton Public Schools, a tenure
stretching back to 1935. Prior to
that, she taught for seven years
at Thornwell Orphanage. Mrs.
Donnan, whose present position
is with the Academy Street Ele-
mentary School, has sent a son
and daughter to PC (Joe D. Don-
nan '39 and Mrs. Miriam Donnan
Chapman '42), and her younger
sister followed her here (Mrs.
Ethel Davidson Aull '15).
Rupert D. Mcintosh was retired
last June by the state school sys-
tem after serving a number of
years at Bath, S. C. He is now
hospitalized in Columbia with a
Dr. John S. Land recently was
honored by the St. Charles Ave-
nue Presbyterian Church of New
Orleans on his 40th anniversary
as its first and only pastor. At a
special service, the congregation
gave him a new air-conditioned
automobile and a check, the Fed-
eration of Greater New Orleans
Protestant Churches presented a
Bronze Plaque testifying to his
untiring work for that body over
the years, and the New Orleans
Ministerial Union also presented
a plaque citing his work with
William H. Youngblood serves
as assistant vice-president in the
Far Eastern District of the First
National City Bank of New York.
In this capacity, he heads the
Japan division which also in-
cludes Okinawa and Korea.
Robert Hartwell Hatton is a
longtime resident of Montgomery,
Ala., who published a number of
house publications. His address
there is 1441 Gilmer Avenue.
The Rev. Ludwig A. Beckman,
Jr., now serves as executive sec-
retary of Savannah (Ga.) Presby-
tery. He moved to his new post
last spring from his position as
stated clerk and superintendent
of home missions of Meridian
The Rev. William Gordon
"Hap" Neville has returned to the
Brazilian mission field after
spending a year on furlough in
the United States, most of the
time in Clinton. His address in
South America is: Garanhuns
The Rev. Leland N. Edmunds
is the new pastor of the North
Miami (Fla.) Presbyterian
Of National Association
Livingston Heads Tax Administrators
QTIS W. LIVINGSTON, class of 1919, is
the new president of the National
Association of Tax Administrators.
The chairman of the South Carolina Tax
Commission was elected to this position
at the 25th annual meeting of the nation-
wide organization of tax administrators
held in Poland Spring, Maine, last June.
Livingston started with the State Tax
Commission in 1922, 11 days after the pass-
age of South Carolina's income tax law.
He served in various capacities in the in-
come tax division and served for two years
as its director (1947-49), until appointed a
member of the Tax Commission in 1949. He was elected com-
mission chairman in 1952 and has served in this post since that
The PC alumnus, an active church and civic leader in Colum-
bia, is married to the former Alma M. Perry and they have two
Beckman Tagged Top' State Worker
THE award as South Carolina's "outstanding worker in state
government" for 1957 is held by PC alumnus Dill D. Beck-
man of Columbia.
A member of the class of 1930, he is chief of the South Caro-
lina Vocational Rehabilitation Service and has spent a total of
27 years in the service of the state. He was a school principal and
teacher in early life and held the post of dean of men at Spar-
tanburg Junior College.
Beckman was voted the 1957 award by fellow members of the
South Carolina State Employees Association and received a silver
cup at the association's 13th annual meeting last June. He has
been an active member of this group throughout his career,
serving as president for two years and as a director.
Church. He recently accepted a
call to go there from the Second
Church of Newport News, Va.
The Rev. Elmer D. Wood re-
cently moved to Port Allen, La.
(Box 486) from Trinity, Tex.,
where he served as pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church.
The Rev. Charles Curelon has
served for the past three years as
associate executive of the Synod
of New Jersey, Presbyterian
Church USA. He lives at 41 North
Lincoln Avenue, Washington, N.
J. Prior to taking over this posi-
tion, he spent over 22 years as
pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church of Hammonton, N. J.
Laurence E. Brown, sheriff of
Buncombe (N. C.) County who
lives in Asheville, N. C, has been
elevated from second to first
vice-president of the National
Sheriffs Association. He was
elected second vice-president of
the 3,336-member Association at
its annual convention at Galves-
ton, Tex., last June.
P. S. Bailey, PC trustee who
serves as president and treasurer
of Clinton-Lydia Cotton Mills, is
the present vice-president of the
South Carolina Textile Manufac-
turers Association. He was named
to this post at the Association's
annual meeting last June.
Charles W. Wilson has been re-
siding in Bath, S. C, for the past
year. His address there: 'V Mrs.
Sidney Ingle, Box 115.
David S. Blankenship recently
moved to Columbia, S. C, from
Jacksonville, Fla. His new ad-
dress: 827 Adger Road.
Francis Hart, Anderson, S. C,
banker and retiring vice-presi-
dent of the PC Alumni Associa-
tion, recently was installed as
president of the Anderson Cham-
ber of Commerce.
The Rev. James Lewis Russell
recently accepted a call to the
Allendale (S. C.) Presbyterian
Church. He moved to this charge
from the pulpit of the Glen
Haven Presbyterian Church near
The Rev. Bonneau H. Dickson
; Oi> po ition "i
urn committee <>f Atlanta
Presbytery. He had served as
â– r of Atlanta's Rock Springs
Presbyterian Church for 14 years
prior to taking over In.-* new |
Cecil G. Sullivan holds the
position of assistant librarian of
the New York University Com-
merce Library. He has been here
since 1949, and prior to that was
librarian at Wagner College, then
the NYU Washington Square
Library. He is married to the for-
mer Frances Barth, and they
have one daughter.
D. M. McNaull now serves as
director of athletics and head
football coach at Darlington
School in Rome, Ga. Holder of a
Master's from Peabody College,
he has been at Darlington since
1946 as director of intra-mural
athletics, tennis and baseball
coach and mathematics instructor.
Lt. Col Fred L. Ross recently
was presented a certificate of
achievement in Korea for "mer-
itorous service as commanding
officer of the 13th AAA missile
Battalion from May 26, 1955 to
Mary Baldwin Cites . . .
Potter's Role as Acting President
THE Rev. Richard Randall Potter '36 has
received the Algernon Sydney Sulli-
van award for service to Mary Baldwin
College as acting president for one year.
He carried these duties without remun-
eration from September, 1956, until Au-
gust, 1957, in addition to his busy load as
pastor of the 1,100-member First Pres-
byterian Church of Staunton. Va. Dr.
Potter was presented a medallion at the
college's 115th commencement last June.
Prior to going to the Staunton First
Church in 1952, the PC alumnus served
for a year as director of the successful
Presbyterian Negro Work Campaign, through which Southern
Presbyterian churches raised more than $2,000,000 for this pur-
pose. He has served two hitches as a chaplain and was for five
(11)46-51) pastor of the Sumter (S.C.) First Church.
Dr. Potter is married to the former Mary Katherine LeNoir.
and they have two children.
June 1, 1957." He instituted an
intensive training program to de-
velop individual proficiency and
pride. Ross continues his assign-
ment in Korea, where his wife
(former Orlena O'Dell) and
daughters hope to join him
Lt. Col. Carl W. Adams has
been stationed at Shaw Air Force
Base, S. C, for the past year. He
expects to be at this post until he
retires from regular service in
about a year. His Shaw AFB ad-
dress: 315 Palmetto Drive.
The Rev. N. G. Barron became
pastor of the Eufaula (Ala.) Pres-
byterian Church on June 1 after
spending the past several weeks
at Americus, Ga. At the spring
meeting of Southwest Georgia
Presbytery, Barron was elected
moderator shortly before he
asked the group to dismiss him
to East Alabama Presbytery.
Dr. W. McLeod Frampton, pas-
tor of the Central Presbyterian
Church of Anderson, S. C, is the
new knight commander of Kappa
Alpha Order. He was elected na-
itonal president of the social fra-
ternity at its biennial national
convention and assumed office for
a two-year term on October 1.
Dr. Frampton has continued as an
active KA since his student days
at PC, having served as a provi-
dence commander of the order
and a member of the executive
Robert Denham Hannah holds
a position with the Georgia Pow-
er Company at Columbus, Ga. He
previously was located in Albany,
Ga., with this firm.
The Rev. James Hoge Smith,
Jr., recently became associate
minister of the First Presbyte-
rian Church of St. Petersburg,
Fla. He previously was situated
in Richmond, Va.
Dr. Odell A. Matthews serves
as head of the pharmaceutical di-
vision of the Veterans Hospital in
Fayetteville, N. C. He also con-
tinues to operate the Matthews
Drug Store in hometown Ben-
nettsville, S. C. His Fayetteville
address: 509 Cape Fear Avenue.
The Rev. Hubert G. Wardlaw
last spring left the pulpit of the
In Tampa Advertising
TV M. "PETE" McCORMICK is Tampa's
"Advertising Man of the Year".
The 1940 PC graduate who serves as ad-
vertising manager for the Winn-Dixie
Tampa Inc. grocery chain was chosen for
the honor last spring by the Tampa Ad-
A veteran advertising and promotion
man, McCormick was recognized as an
originator and founder of the Florida
Products Festival which for the last two
years has been promoted on a statewide
basis under sponsorship of the Florida
Development Commission. He originated
the plan years ago and his firm "loaned" the idea to the state.
The Festival of the past year was credited with resulting in mil-
lions of extra dollars spent by consumers in the purchase of
Florida goods and services.
McCormick has served as advertising director of Winn-Dixie
Tampa since 1951. He joined the firm as assistant advertising
manager in 1946, after five years of air force service during
world War II.
A native of Clio, S. C, he is married to the former Gladys
Virginia Peele, and they have three children.
First Presbyterian Church of Or-
angeburg, S. C, to become pastor
of Atlanta's Rock Spring Pres-
byterian Church succeeding alum-
nus Bonneau Dickson (see above).
Wardlaw's wife is the former An-
nie Jackson '35 of Clinton.
George Washington Collett is
associated with the Reigel Mill
in Trion, Ga.
William A. Moore is sales serv-
ice manager of Cabin Crafts, Inc.,
in Dalton, Ga., and an active re-
ligious and civic leader. He cur-
rently serves as chairman of the
board of deacons of the First
Presbyterian Church. Moore's ad-
dress: 612 Lakemont Drive.
Col. Macon A. Hipp has been
appointed commanding officer of
the newly activated Fourth Train-
ing Regiment at the infantry basic
training center of Fort Dix, N. J.
Before taking over this job, he
was a member of the Military
Assistance Advisory Group in
Saigon, Vietnam. A combat vet-
eran of World War II, Col. Hipp
fought in the campaigns in the
China-Burma-India theater and
later served with the army occu-
pation in Europe. Among his
awards are the Legion of Merit,
the Soldier's Medal, the Bronze
Star, Combat Infantry Badge,
Purple Heart and Chinese Special
Breast Order of Yun Hui. He is
married to the former Miriam
Coile of Nashville, and they have
Capt. Edwin M. Reid currently
serves on the staff of the military
department at North Carolina
State College as an assistant pro-
fessor of military science and
Lt. Col. Walter B. Todd is now
attending a ten-month course at
the Army War College in Car-
lisle Baracks, Pa. He is one of
200 senior officers undergoing
training at the Army's highest
educational institution. Todd ar-
rived at Carlisle Barracks from
an assignment in Ankara, Turkey.
Col. Marion Clarke Mixson
serves with the Third Weapons
Reconnaissance Squadron, Navy
3835 % Fleet Postmaster, San
Lt. Col. Robert B. Murchison
presently serves as the Army ad-
viser with the 31st Division Artil-
lery National Guard in Columbus,
Miss. He was assigned to this unit
last March after returning from
Formosa, where he received spe-
cial commendation from Chinese
army officials for his work with
the Nationalist Chinese army
there. Murchison, his wife and
four daughters make their home
in Columbus at 1415 Third Ave-
Jimmy Dennaid, situated in
Casper, Wyo., recently won the
best speaker award with a talk on
segregation at the regular meet-
ing of the Toastmastcrs Club No.
1466. He's also program chairman
of the Casper Quarterback Club.
His address: 166 North Iowa.
Joe E. Eaton has been elected to
the Florida State legislature as a
representative from Dade County,
which encompasses the important
Miami area. An attorney-at-law,
he previously had served as a
circuit judge there.
William Elbert Jones joined the
University of South Carolina fac-
ulty this past September as an
instructor of accounting. He re-
ceived his master of science in
business administration from the
University in August. Prior to
enrolling in the graduate school
there, Jones operated Royal
Cleaners in Woodruff, S. C, for
Keith Fleischman is the new
assistant coach at Laurens (S.C.)
High, a position he accepted this
year after one year as a Clinton
insurance man and earlier as
head coach and principal at An-
drews, S. C. He and his wife â€”
the former Betty Spratt '42â€” and
family continue to live in Clinton.
Hampton V. Talbot operates
Talbot Studios, specializing in
portrait and commercial photog-
raphy, in Ann Arbor, Mich. He,
his wife and two children live at
201 Packard Road.
Walter L. Evans serves as the
shipping-receiving clerk for the
Celanese Corporation of America
in Charlotte, N. C. He is married
to the former Martha L. Blakely,
and they have two children. Ad-
dress: 2208 Lockhart Drive.
Jerry H. Roberts this year as-
sumed the head coaching reins at
Laurens (S.C.) High School. He
came to his new post from Whit-
mire (S.C.) High. His wife is the
former Margaret Todd '43, and
they now live at 104 Maplebrook
Edward Dunn is connected with
the Iselin-Jefferson Company.
Inc.. in Atlanta. His address: 4130
West Peachtree Street, NW.
Capt. Lloyd R. Evans is now
assigned to Headquarters, First
Armored Division at Fort Polk,
Lt. Col. William Verne Church '42 of Lenoir, N. C. (at left above),
is presented a certificate of achievement from the Military Assistance
Advisory Group on Formosa by Brig. Gen. John F. Ruggles. acting com-
mandant of Fort Benning's Infantry School. Col. Church, now chairman
of the mortar committee of the School's weapons department, was cited
for "faithful and efficient performance of military duty with MAAG
on Formosa from November, 1955, until coming to Fort Benning, Ga.,
Pitts DeLorme recently sold
his bakery business in Sumter, S.
C, and now serves as probation
officer and counselor at the Sum-
ter County Domestic Relations
Court. He is married to the for-
mer Zadah Green, and they have
three young daughters. Their ad-
dress: 466 West Hampton.
George B. Humphries has been
associated for a number of years
with the Maxwell and Halford
Drug Company of Johnston, S. C.
Hal C. Richardson, Jr., serves
as an assistant professor at the
United States Military Academy
at West Point. He teaches engi-
neering materials and automotive
engineering in the ordnance de-
partment there. Richardson re-
ceived his masters in engineering
from Purdue University in 1955,
is married to the former Louise
Sharp and they have two chil-
dren. Address: Quarters 109-A,
West Point, N. Y.
John G. McGugan has been in
France for the past five years as-
signed with the U.S. Army Con-
struction Agency in the building
of a multi-million-dollar program
of Army and Air Force installa-
tions. His wife is the former
Baroness Monique Burthe-Mique
of Paris, and they have three
children. McGugan expects to re-
turn to this country in a year or
two; meanwhile his address is:
Office of the Director, U. S. Con-
struction Agency, France, APO
230, New York.
The Rev. John Wesley Dozier
recently became pastor of the
Powhattan (Va.) Presbyterian
The Rev. J. W. Stonebraker
recently became minister of ed-
ucation and evangelism at the
First Presbyterian Church of
Jacksonville, Fla. He went there
after three years as pastor of the
Grace Presbyterian Church of
Gainesville, Fla. Stonebraker is
married to the former Dorothy
Berkeley Stevenson, and they
live with their three children at
4214 Redwood Avenue in Jack-
John Channing Carter serves as
Probation officer for the U. S.
District Court in Miami. Fla. He
is married to the former George-
Anna May Peaslee Harbeson, and
they have three children. His ad-
dress: 11265 S. W. 50th Street,
The Rev. Ralph N. Piland be-
came pastor of the Second Pres-
byterian Church of Waynesboro,
Va., last June. He previously
served the Callaway (Va.)
Herbert Lindsay, Jr., is now
connected with the J. E. Sirrine
Company of Greenville as an en-
gineer. He received his BS degree
in civil engineering from Clemson
last June after two years of study
there. Prior to entering Clemson,
Lindsay was a representative for
the Life Insurance Company of
Virginia. He and his wife â€” the
former Morn McKoy â€” and young
son live at 212 Lake Fairfield
Drive in Greenville.
Capt. Walter A. Johnson, Jr.,
recently was graduated from the
31-week officer advanced course
at The Infantry School, Fort Ben-
ning, Ga., where he was in-
structed in the duties and respon-
sibilities of a field grade officer.
The Rev. Robert H. Jordan re-
cently became pastor of the Cedar
Springs Presbyterian Church of
Knoxville, Tenn. He previously
served the Spruce Pine (N.C.)
Dennis Trouiman was sched-
uled to begin studies at the Uni-
versity of North Carolina dental
school this fall. Previously, he
was employed at the Standard
Chemical Products, Inc., in Char-
lotte, N. C, as chief technician
in the control laboratory.
Hal Williams is now connected
with the group department of the
New York Life Insurance Com-
pany, with headquarters in Bir-
mingham, Ala. His address there:
1200 20th Street South.
Bill Jolly switched coaching
jobs last summer when he moved
from Hickory Tavern (S.C.) High
to take over as head coach at
Denmark (S.C.) High.
Ralph "Buzz" Tedards moved
over to the head coaching post at
Clinton High this fall, leaving
behind him a successful record
at Honea Path, S. C.
The reins at Honea Path High,
then, were taken over by Claude
Howe, Tedards' roommate at PC
who had served as Charleston