W. Woodford Clayton.

History of Bergen and Passaic counties online

. (page 23 of 149)
Online LibraryW. Woodford ClaytonHistory of Bergen and Passaic counties → online text (page 23 of 149)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Hackensack and vicinity. Other liberal sums were
contributed along the entire route. (_)n Monday,
^Slarch 18, 1872, the first pa.ssenger train ran through
between Hackensack and Paterson, at 8.30 a.m., car-
rying about thirty passengers. After that trains ran
regularly.

The opening of the road was signalized by a grand
excursion to EUenville, given to the citizens of Bergen
by the president, Hon. C. A. Wortendyke. The day
was not auspicious, but suitable provision had been
made for a large number of excursionists at the hotels,
so that, notwithstanding the rain which set in, the
occasion passed off pleasantly. Many of the people
of Bergen attended with their wives and daughters.
Among the guests was the venerable centenarian,
Richard Paulison, who had witnessed the changes of
nearly a hundred years, and none of them probably
had awakened in him stranger emotions than those in
which he that day participated. He was truly the
representative of a bygone generation. Among the
other guests were A. Luther Smith, of Nyack, Sherift"
Pell, of Bergen, and A. Brownson. Of the Midland,
President Wortendyke, Vice-President Loomis, James
N. Pronk, Cornelius Vreeland, and Hon. Isaac Dem-
arest. Of Sussex County, Hon. Robert Hamilton and
Hon. Thomas Kays.

At the dinner Mr. H. 1). Winton, of the Bergen
Democrat, being called upon for a toast, oflered the
following : " Hon. C. A. Wortendyke, projector of the
New Jersey Midland Railway." This brought out
Mr. Wortendyke with a happy response. Ex-Gov-
ernor Price followed with a speech of considerable
length and animation, in which he paid a glowing
tribute to the energy and enterprise of Mr. Worten-
dyke in securing the completion of the road. He
said President Wortendyke had spent his time and
money to accomplish a result of which every one should
feel proud. James N. Pronk was then called upon.
He represented the New York and Oswego Midland,
and clasped hands with the Hon. C. A. Wortendyke,
of the New Jersey Midland. The energy of the two
had accomplished great results, and the county of
Bergen .should feel truly proud of the enterprise and
genius of her son.

The Hackexsack and New York Railroad
Company was incorporated March 14, 1850. Work
was begun on the road in the spring of 1809. It was
opened northward to Hillsdale, twenty-one miles from
New York, and the first excursion train ran over it on
Saturday, the 4th of March, 1870. The officers of the
road at that time were D. P. Patterson, president; G.
S. Demarest, vice-president; H. G. Herring, secre-
tary : and J. D. Demarest, treasurer. The extension
of the road to Grassy Point, about two miles above
Haverstraw, on the Hudson, was chartered bv the



New York Legislature in the spring of 1870, and
during the fall was put under contract to Messrs.
Ward & Lary for construction. From a report made
in January, 1872, we learn that through the untiring
exertions of Mr. J. A. Bogert, of Nanuet, $90,000 had
been subscribed, over $40,000 of which had been paid
in. Subscriptions also to the amount of $230,000 had
been secured by Mr. Patterson, the president of the
company, and of this sum $130,000 had been paid in.
At the northern terminus at Grassy Point the com-
pany received a donation of two thou.sand five hun-
dred feet of river frontage from Mr. David Munro.
The eastern terminus of this road is in the Erie depot,
at Long Dock, and it is under the same management
as the Erie.

The Northern Railroad Company of New
Jersey was chartered Feb. 9, 1854, and the road was
completed Oct. 1, 1859. In 1869 it was leased to the
Erie Railway Company. This road passes through
the eastern part of Bergen County, along the table-
land of the Palisades, many portions of which it has
been the means of redeeming from forests and con-
verting into beautiful parks and villas. Englewood,
on this road, one of the most delightful suburbs of
New York, has been entirely built up since the road
was opened.

The Jersey City and Albany Railroad was
opened to Tappan, July 30, 1873. This road passes
through Bergen County from the Midland, at Ridge-
field Park, in a direction nearly parallel with the
Northern road.

The Morris Canal. — The Morris Canal and Bank-
ing Company was incorporated Dec. 31, 1824. It was
authorized to construct a canal from the Delaware to
the Passaic. The canal was completed in 1831. On
Jan. 28, 1828, authority was given to extend the canal
to the Hudson River, at or near Jersey City. This
extension was completed in 1836. The canal and its
appurtenances, with the chartered rights of the com-
pany, were sold, under a decree of the Court of Chan-
cery, Oct. 21, 1844. By an act of the Legislature,
Feb. 9, 1849, banking privileges were taken from the
company.



CHAPTER XXII.

EARLY COURTS OF BERGEN.

Espatin. — In the vicinity of Union Hill, upon the
Hudson County line, was an ancient place called
"Espatin," where "courts of justice" were held as
early as 1657, — the earliest courts of which we have
any account in East Jersey. The Baron Van der
Capellen, a wealthy and influential Hollander, whose
interests appear to have been independent of those
of the authorities at Manhattan, bad formed a colony
on Staten Island, which was destroyed by the Indians
in 1655. Van der Capellen, through his agents resid-



90



HISTORY OF BERGKN AND PASSAIC COUNTIES, NEW JERSEY.



ingin the colony, had assumed the right to make trea-
ties with the Indians and to purcliase lands of them,
irrespective of tlie authority of the Dutch {.'overn-
ment, which declared his action in this respect unau-
thorized.' He was active La conciliating the Indians,
and settling terms of peace with them at the close of
the war of 1()55, and seems in that year to have co-
operated with the director and council through his
agent, Adrian Post, who, in October, It).').'), was "ap-
pointed to treat with the Hackensaek Indians for the
release of prisoners." ' Undoubtedly his powerful
iufluence over the Indians caused his agency to be
sought in this direction. Post was succeeded in the
agency by Van Dincklagan, who died about 1658.
While he wa.- agent he was a successful negotiatttr
with the Indians, and purchased their entire interest
in Staten Island, and probably "Espatin," in the
vicinity of the settlements of the Tappan and Hack-
ensaek Indians, where the establishment of a trading-
post and a court for the adjudication of such causes
as might arise with them and the white settlers, en-
abled him more directly to oversee the movements
of the Indians and keep them under control.

The court at Espatin seems to have been a rival
court to that at New Amsterdam, for to the former
rather than to the latter the agent of Van der Ca-
pellen required the subjection of the Indians. We
find that " in 16.57, Van der Capellen, through his
agent Van Dincklagen, concluded with the Indians
a treaty, with submission to the courts of justice at
Ilospating, near Hackensaek, on Wacrkimius Conne,'
in New Netherlands." '

This record, brief as it is, reveals the fact that the
IJaron Van der Capellen sought to establish an au-
thority on the west side of the Hudson entirely inde-
pendent of the director-general and Council at Man-
hattan. Hence it ajipcars in the records of the latter
that he received their severe censure. He was no
doubt one of those wealthy Hollanders, who desired to
establish a barony of their owti in the New World, an



Online LibraryW. Woodford ClaytonHistory of Bergen and Passaic counties → online text (page 23 of 149)