Walter B. (Walter Barlow) Stevens.

Missouri the center state, 1821-1915 (Volume 4) online

. (page 29 of 93)
Online LibraryWalter B. (Walter Barlow) StevensMissouri the center state, 1821-1915 (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 93)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ests of depositors. Mr. Allen is also one of the stockholders, a director and the
secretary of the Farmers Lumber Company of Adrian, but devotes the greater
part of his attention to the bank.

On the 26th of June, 1873, occurred the marriage of Air. Allen and Miss
Mary E. Cooper, who was born in Cooper county, Missouri, a daughter of Dr.
William H. and Nancy J. (Hutchison) Cooper, the former a native of Kentucky,
while the latter was born in Cooper county, Missouri. The father began the
practice of medicine early in life and followed that profession for twenty-five
years or more in St. Louis. Later he removed to Boonville, where both he and
his wife passed away. Mrs. Cooper died in the late '90s, while Dr. Cooper's
death occurred about 1903. He served as surgeon in Price's army during the
Civil war. He never aspired to political effice, but while in St. Louis served on
the school laoard for many years. Mrs. Allen is the eldest of their three children
and by her marriage has become the mother of three children: Edwin L.,
a motorman residing in Kansas City ; Whitman, an engineer of .\drian ; and
Mary, the wife of Major A. V. .Adams, who is in the adjutant's ofifice at Jeffer-
son City, Alissouri.

In his political views Mr. .\llen is a democrat and has served as justice of
the peace in Adrian. He is now a member of the board of education, in which
capacity he has continued for twenty-two years, and he has also been townshij)
trustee. His religious faith is that of the Christian church. Throughout the
entire period of his residence in Bates county he has so governed his life as to
win the respect and confidence of all who know him, while his business affairs
have been so directed that success has attended his efforts.



R. W. MATTESON.



R. W. Matteson is active in commercial and manufacturing circles in Cape
Girardeau, where the name of Matteson has figured prominently since 1881, at
which time his father established a plant for the manufacturing of paint pigments
in that city. The business is now carried on by R. W. Matteson, who since his
father's death has been president and general manager of the Matteson Paint
Company, which owns the largest exckisive plant in the state. He was born in
Chicago. Illinois, in 1875, a son of James A. and Elizabeth M. Matteson, the
former a native of New York and the latter of Nova Scotia. In Chicago the
father operated a plant for grinding the pigments for paint and continued in
business there until 1880, when he established an additional plant at Cape Girar-
deau, which he conducted successfully to the time of his death, which occurred
on the 1st of April, 1907.

R. W. Matteson was a little lad of about five years when the family removed
to Missouri and in the schools of Cape Girardeau he pursued his education, while



256 MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE

under his father's direction he received his business training, becoming thor-
oughly famihar with every phase of paint pigment manufacture and gaining that
broad practical experience which ultimately fully qualified him to become his
father's successor upon the latter's death. The business was incorporated in
1902 and has since been known as the Matteson Paint Company. Following his
father's demise R. W. Matteson became general manager and later president of
the company. He owns a large percentage of the stock and is carefully con-
trolling the interests of the house. The capacity of the plant has been gradually
increased, and they are now grinding a number of pigments used by the paint
manufacturers, making claim to the fact that their calcium carbonate is the
purest obtained in this country. This is the largest exclusive plant of its kind
in the state of Missouri and the corporation owns its own building and grounds
as well as the manufacturing machinery. Today the trade covers a wide territory
and the annual sales have reached a gratifying figure. Mr. Matteson also owns
and operates an extensive system of lime kilns located on the Cape, the busi-
ness being conducted under the name of the Cape Lime & Marble Company. He
thoroughly understands every phase of the trade and his energy and enterprise
have carried him into important relations.

In November, 1906, Mr. Matteson was married to Miss Maude Alexander,
who was born in Jonesboro, Illinois, and they now have two children: Robert
W'., born in 1912; and Maude Elizabeth, born in 1913. The family hold to the
faith of the Episcopal church, and Mr. Matteson gives his political allegiance
to the republican party. He belongs to the Elks lodge and has filled nearly all
of the offices in the local organization. In manner he is genial, courteous and
approachable. He is never too busy to be courteous, nor too courteous to be
busy. His is a well balanced life, in which every interest and activity receives
its due proportion of time. In the conduct of his commercial interests he con-
tributes to the prosperity of his section of the state and has gained recognition
as a leading and representative business man.



WILLIAM SAMUEL ELLIS.

I'assing away at the age of seventy-four years, William Samuel Ellis left
behind him an untarnished record, for in the \arious relations of life he had
measured up to high standards of manhood and citizenship. He was born in
Louisville, Kentucky, in 1836, and died in Kansas City, October 13, 1910. The
first sixteen years of his life were spent in the state of his nativity and he then
accompanied his parents on their removal to De Kalb county, Missouri, where
his father, John Ellis, engaged in generail farming, owning a valuable tract of
land, which he brought to a high state of cultivation. In Kentucky he had mar-
ried Fannie Payne and following their removal to ^Missouri they continued resi-
dents of De Kalb county until called to their final rest.

Through the period of his minority William S. Ellis had the usual experi-
ences of the farm lad and in early manhood carried on general farming for a
few years, but, thinking to find city life more congenial and hoping to secure
better business opportunities in connection therewith, he removed to St. Joseph,



MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE 257

Missouri, and entered the field of journalism. He was active in newspaper work
from that time until about 1910, when, on account of ill health, he retired from
business. In the meantime he had made continuous advancement in his chosen
field, progressing step by step, and had become an influential factor in journal-
istic circles. He had been living in Kansas City for two years when death called
him.

Mr. Ellis was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Priscilla Burnside, of Clay
county, Missouri, a daughter of F. W. Burnside, who removed with his family
from Louisville, Kentucky, to Clay county at a time when the latter was still a
frontier region. There he secured an extensive tract of land and was engaged
in farming throughout his remaining days. His wife bore the maiden name of
Mary Courtney. Air. and Mrs. Ellis became the parents of two children, but only
one survives, Mrs. M. G. Heim, of Kansas City. Mr. Ellis was a democrat and
always active in political affairs, giving earnest, intelligent and eft'ective support
to the party, in whose principles he believed were to be found the best elements
of good government. He was a consistent member of the Masonic and Knights
of Pythias fraternities and belonged to the Baptist church, its teachings hnding
tangible expression in his well spent life.



CHARLES DUROXI.



Charles Duroni can look back with pride upon his career, for he came to
this country practically empty-handed and is now a well-to-do agriculturist and
stock-raiser of Stone county, his farm being located near Flat creek. He was
born in Italy, January 24, 1845, ^"d is a son of Pasquale and Anne Mary
(Zerboni) Duroni. natives of Italy, in which country the father followed car-
pentering and farming. Both parents are deceased. In their family were twelve
children: Gaetano and Jovanni, both deceased; Francesco, of Marionville,
Missouri ; Theresa, Alarguerita, Clementina and Desalina, all of Italy ; Mariana.
Johanna and Catherina. deceased ; and Mary, who died in infancy.

The other member of the family, Charles Duroni, grew to manhood on his
father's farm and went to pttblic school in his home town of Caglio and Lake
Como. His educational advantages were very limited and early in life he had
to earn his livelihood. As soon as old enough he began to assist his father with
his work and also worked for two years in the machinery department of a silk
factory. He remained at home until twenty-three years of age, when his uncle,
who had already located in this country, forwarded him the money which enabled
him to cross the ocean. The uncle was a railroad contractor and after his
arrival in America Mr. Duroni was engaged in that line of work for two years.
He then turned his attention to other pursuits, but in 1873 learned the stone-
mason's trade and has followed that occupation since, with the exception of
nine years, during which time he was engaged in the grocery business at Marion-
ville, Missouri. In igoo he bought a farm of one hundred and eighty-six acres
on Flat creek in Stone county and turned his immediate and close attention to
its cultivation, so that he has now about one hundred acres in planting, while
he also raises and deals in stock, doing a considerable business along that line.



258 MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE

At the same time he has not discontinued his trade and along these various lines
of endeavor has gained financial independence.

On the 28th of January, 1875, Mr. Duroni married Isela Russell, a native of
Paris, Texas, and a daughter of John and Levina (Gore) Russell, the father a
native of Tennessee and the mother of Kentucky. The former was a large
landowner, holding title to about six hundred and fifty acres in Texas, and was
also prominent as a stockman. He and his wife had nine children : Catherine,
who married Stephen Buck, of Oklahoma; Coswell, of Cape Fair, Missouri;
Malcolm, of Marionville, this state; Douglas, of Crane, Missouri; Adeline, the
wife of Frank Duroni, of Marionville; Isela, the wife of our subject; Janet,
who married John Clarke, of Del Roy, California ;• Nellie, the wife of Link
Coleman, of Marionville; and Pleasant, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Duroni had
four children. Eugene, a farmer of Elsey, Stone county, is married and has
two children. Charles and Janet. Xina is deceased. Paul is home with his
parents. Christina is a nurse in the hospital in Marionville.

Mr. Duroni is independent in his political views, giving his support to the
candidates whom he considers best suited for the office to which they aspire.
He is a Catholic, while his wife is a member of the Christian church. Frater-
nally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, taking interest in
lodge work and having held all the chairs in the local organization. He is
respected by all who know him for the high qualities of his character and has
manv friends in Stone county.



MAX JOSEPH KOECK.

Max Joseph Koeck, president of the Cape Brewery & Ice Company at Cape
Girardeau, was born in Munich, Germany, October 2, 1876, a son of Carl and
Teresa (Kalb) Koeck, who were likewise natives of that country, where the
father was superintendent of a brewery. He died November 9, 1898. but his
widow still lives in Munich. Unto them were born seven children ; Dr. Carl,
who is a chemist of Munich ; Max Joseph ; Anna, the wife of Dr. F. Schweyer.
of Munich, who is in the employ of the German government in the department
of the interior ; Dr. H. Koeck, an attorney of Munich ; Otto, a professor in the
School of Mines at Freiberg, Saxony; Paula, who is the widow of Dr. Meyer;
and Dr. Ernest, a practicing physician of Munich.

In his native city Max Joseph Koeck spent his youthful days and attended
school until he reached the age of nineteen years. He then entered the German
rmy and served for one year and four months. Pie had pursued a part of his
college course previous to that time and after being discharged from the army
continued his studies, taking the chemist's and engineer's courses in the Royal
Bavarian Brewing Academy at Weihenstephan, Bavaria, near Munich, from
which he was graduated. He next went to England, where he spent six months
in studying the language of the people. The succeeding year was passed in
Holland' for the purpose of studying conditions of the brewing interests of that
country. He then came to America, attracted by the broader business oppor-
tunities of the new world, making his way first to Chicago, where he took a



a



MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE 259

course in the VVahl-Henius Institute of Fermentology. He spent six months in
that institution and for a year thereafter was engaged in the brewing business
in South Bend, Indiana. He then returned to the same college to pursue a
course in steam engineering and on finishing the course in the spring of 1903
went to Mexico, settling at Hermosillo, Sonora county, where he had charge of
a brewery for about two years. He then returned to Europe, but after six
months again came to the United States, establishing his home in Milan, Ohio,
where he conducted business for a time.

Mr. Koeck came to Cape Girardeau in November, 1905, and purchased a
controlling interest in the Cape Brewery & Ice Company, a business which was
founded in 1861. He was then elected president of the company and is still its
chief executive officer. He is bending his efforts to administrative direction of
the affairs of the company and tmder his control the business has enjoyed a
steady growth. He manufactures the famous Ideal beer, which is shippetl all
over southern Missouri. He originated the name Ideal and the excellence of
the product, combined with the reliable business methods of the house, has
created a large demand for this make of beer. When Mr. Koeck took charge
he enlarged and remodeled the plant, increasing it to almost double its former
size, and installed all modern machinery. This is the only brewery in south-
eastern Missouri and the business is now one of the important productive indus-
tries of the city. The plant covers two blocks and is most modern in all of its
equipment and in methods of manufacture, the most sanitary conditions being
observed. Mr. Koeck's long experience and broad college training have well
qualified him for the scientific manufacture of the beverage.

Mr. Koeck married Miss Lucile A. von Overstolz, a native of St. Louis and
a daughter of Henry and Philippina ( Espenschied) von Overstolz. The father
was born in St. Louis, where for many years he was a prominent citizen, and
there he passed away about 1889. He was at one time a bank president of
St. Louis and the mayor of the city. Since his death his widow has become the
wife of Dr. O. E. Forster, of St. Louis. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Koeck
was celebrated January i, 1906, and has been blessed with a son. Max Joseph,
born December 30, T912. Their religious faith is that of the Catholic church.
Mr. Koeck enjoys hunting and is a lover of fine horses, always keeping a
splendid specimen of the driving horse. He has met with prosperity in his
undertakings and has never regretted his determination to try his fortune in
the new world.



EUGENE C. BROTT.



Eugene C. Brott. of Kirksville, is secretary and treasurer of the American
School of Osteopathy and the prosperity of that institution is due in large measure
to his business sagacity and to his initiative. His birth occurred at Brookfield,
Missouri, October 24, 1881, and his parents were Walter E. and Nettie E.
(Scott) Brott. The father was born in New York state, of Scotch-Irish ancestry,
while the mother was a native of the same state and of Scotch parentage. The
paternal grandfather. Colonel Elijah C. Brott, came to Missouri in 1868 from



260 MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE

Knox county, Illinois, and settled near Brookfield, this state, some years later.
He passed away there on Easter Sunday, April 12, 1914, at the advanced age
of eighty-nine years. He was a colonel in the Union army, commanding the
Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served throughout the war.
Walter E. Brott was a farmer in his early life but subsequently became a mer-
chant. After conducting a store in Brookfield he went to California in 1884
and engaged in mercantile pursuits there until his return to Brookfield in 1889.
His wife passed away in California in that year. He later conducted a store
in Ouincy, Illinois, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1893.
He was for one term deputy shcriflf, serving under his father, who was sheriff.

Eugene C. Brott, the only child born to his parents, passed his boyhood and
youth under the parental roof. He attended the Brookfield high school and
received *an excellent general education. .\t the age of nineteen years he went
to work in a grocery store in Brookfield and in his youth also worked on neigh-
boring farms in the summer seasons. He later engaged in the real-estate busi-
ness in Brookfield until he went to St. Louis, where for five years he held the
important position of internal revenue collector. After this he came to Kirksville
and entered the employ of the American School of Osteopathy. His first position
was that of assistant to the late Warren Hamilton but in 191 1 he was advanced
to his present position as secretary and treasurer. He is enthusiastic in the pro-
motion of the welfare of the institution and is proving an unusually efficient
official.

On June 3, 1908, 'Mr. Brott was united in marriage to Miss Clara Fout, a na-
tive of Kirksville and a daughter of W. G. and Ada (de Reimer) Fout. Her
father, a native of Virginia, is now a resident of Kirksville and cashier of the
Citizens National Bank. Mr. and Mrs. Brott have a son, William Fout. who
was born November 19, 191 1.

■Mr. Brott is a member of the Congregational church and contributes generously
to its support. He is a republican and for five years served as chief deputy
collector of the United States internal revenue at St. Louis, discharging the
duties of that position with marked ability. He is a member of the Masonic
order and belongs to the Mystic Shrine. He also holds membership in the Elks
and his jovial nature and warm heart have gained him many friends.



COLONEL JOHN LEWIS RoBARDS.

Colonel John Lewis RoBards has for a half century been numbered among
the most prominent representatives of the Hannibal bar, but it is not alone his
professional ability that. has established him in the high position which he occupies
in public regard. He has been identified with many events which are epoch-
making features in the history of the city and of the state and as a lawyer, lec-
turer. Mason, scholar and Christian gentleman his place is an honored one.

A native of Kentucky, Mr. RoBards was born in Hustonville, Lincoln county,
on the 8th of May, 1838, his parents being Captain Archibald Sampson and
Amanda (Carpenter) RoBards, the former born in Mercer county and the latter
in Lincoln county, Kentucky. The family is distinctively American in both the




('OLOXEL .lOIIN L. RoBARDS.



MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE 263

lineal and collateral lines through several generations and representatives of the
name have participated in events which have figured prominently in epoch-
making periods in the history of the country since 1870. The progenitor of the
family on American soil was John RoBards, a native of Wales, who became a
resident of Virginia in early colonial days. He settled in Henrico county in
the tide water region of the state and became a wealthy planter and a man of
influence, retaining his residence there to the time of his death testate in 1755.
He married Sarah Hill, the line of descent coming down through their son, Wil-
liam RoBards, who was a planter of (joochland county, Virginia, where he figured
prominently in financial circles and as a citizen. He made, too, a credital:)le record
in connection with militarv and public affairs, serving as a lieutenant in the Vir-
ginia militia in i'/(>4. and a member of the committee of safety of Goochland in
1775. He was twice married, his second union being with Elizabeth Lewis, a
daughter of Joseph Lewis, Sr., and a granddaughter of William and Elizabeth
(Woodson) Lewis. The latter was a daughter of Robert Woodson, a grand-
daughter of Dr. John Woodson, colonist, who died in 1708, and a great-grand-
daughter of John Lewis, a native of Wales who, on coming to the new world, set-
tled in Henrico county, Virginia, where he remained until death called him in
1687. Thus John Lewis RoBards of this review has a distinct Welsh origin. In
the family of William RoBards were seven sons: James, John and William Jr.,
who were born of his first marriage, while the sons of the second inarriage were
Lewis, George, Jesse and Joseph, beside whom there were two daughters, Sally,
who became the wife of Captain John Jouett, and Elizabeth Lewis, who married
William Buckner. All of the sons served with credit and distinction in the war
for independence and five of the number held the rank of captain or of lieutenant,
Captain John Jouett, just mentioned, was the man who gave the Virginia as-
sembly timely notice of the approach of Tarleton and saved it from capture at
Charlottesville. The Virginia assembly in 1781 voted to present him a sword for
his gallantry, but owing to delays it was not presented until 1786. Among the
prominent members of the family was Matthew H. Jouett, the gifted artist, and
grandson of William RoBards, Sr.. and Judge Richard A. Buckner, another
grandson. Both were residents of Kentucky. William RoBards, Sr., was also
the ancestor of William RoBards, attorney general of Missouri, and John B.
Thompson, United States senator from Kentucky. He passed away testate in
Goochland county, \'irginia, in 1783.

His son. Captain George RoBards, the grandfather of Colonel RoBards, was
born August 3, 1760, and on the 31st of August of the same month was baptized
in the Church of England in Goochland county, Virginia. At the age of sixteen
he enlisted in February, 1777, for three years in Captain Hawkins' Company
of the Fourteenth Virginia Regiment of Continental Regulars under command
of Colonel Charles Lewis. He was advanced to the rank of orderly sergeant and
was almost continuously on active duty through the ensuing three years, partici-
pating in a number of the most hotly contested and memorable battles that led up
to the final victory that crowned American arms, including the engagements at
Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth and Stony Point and the never to be for-
gotten winter at Valley Forge, where American troops suffered almost untold
hardships. In 1780 Governor Thomas Jefferson commissioned him a lieutenant
in Colonel Lucas' Fourth Virginia Regiment and in August of the latter year he



264 MISSOURI, THE CENTER STATE

was promoted to a captaincy and served under General LaFayette in Virginia for
some time, or until the close of hostilities at Yorktown. He was married in 1785
to Elizabeth Barbary Sampson, daughter of Charles and Ann (Porter) Sampson,
and a granddaughter of Stephen and Mary (Woodson) Sampson. Mrs. RoBards'
maternal grandfather was Captain Thomas Porter, a son of William and Eliza-
beth (Dutoy) Porter, the latter a daughter of Sieur Pierre and Jeanne (De
Bonnette) Porter, who were French Huguenots and settled at Mannikentown,
Virginia, about 1700.

Captain Archibald Sampson RoBards, son of Captain George and Elizabeth
( Sampson) RoBards, was born in Mercer county, Kentucky, December 25,
1797, and like his ancestors, attained military distinction, being commissioned in
1825 captain of the Fifth Kentucky Regiment by Governor Desha. In May,
1843, he established his home in Hannibal, Missouri, bringing with him his family,
his slaves and the greater part of his worldly possessions. In time he came to be
recognized as one of the most prominent and public-spirited residents of the city.
In 1846 he was elected to the mayoralty and was again chosen to the office in
1854 and in other ways did much toward advancing the welfare and upbuilding
of the city. In 1849 at his own expense he fitted out a company of fifteen men,
furnishing ample vehicles, stock, provisions, etc., to make the trip to California
and iii 1850 at Sacramento, California, he freed his faithful slave. Green by
name, who it is l)elie\ed was the first slave ever emancipated in that state. En
route at Pimo village, where their camp was surrounded by hundreds of infuriated
Indians, the invincible courage and wise strategy of Captain RoBards saved his



Online LibraryWalter B. (Walter Barlow) StevensMissouri the center state, 1821-1915 (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 93)