Walter H Wills.

The Anglo-African who's who and biographical sketch-book online

. (page 36 of 49)
Online LibraryWalter H WillsThe Anglo-African who's who and biographical sketch-book → online text (page 36 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

level-headed, and is said to be the best judge of
diamonds in London. He takes no active in-
terest in politics, and may be shortly described
as a plain merchant prince, sound in views,
liberal in charities, and a popular host.

to Lord Milner (then Sir Alfred) at the age of
twenty, taking part in the Bloemfontein Con-
ference. He subsequently joined Lord Roberts'
staff, and hoisted the British flag at Pretoria.
The greater part of Belgravia is built upon the
Duke's land, and about the year 1935, when
many leases terminate, he will be one of the
richest men in the country. He married in
1900 Miss Cornwallis West the result of a boy
and girl betrothal.

the Royal Horse Guards in 1890. He served
through the first Matabele War as Military
Adviser to the Administrator, and was seconded
for service in the B.B.P. in May, 1895. He
took command, with rank of Lieut. -Col., of Dr.
Jameson's forces at the time of the Raid, for
his connection with which he was sentenced to
ten months' imprisonment, and allowed to re-
tire from the Army. For several years he has
been connected with the Partridge & Jarvis
group of Rhodesian Cos., of many of which
he is a Director.

YOUNG, JAMES, of Krugersdorp, Transvaal ;
formerly Acting Asst. R.M. at Johannesburg,
was appointed Asst. R.M. for the Witwaters-
rand District at Krugersdorp in 1904. j



SHAWE, C.M.G. (1902), formerly member of
the Army and Navy and Bath Clubs, was second
son of Major-Gen. H. R. Abadie, C.B., Lieut.-
Governor of Jersey, and was born in Aug.
1873. He entered the 16th Lancers as a Second
Lieut, in Mar. 1893, but resigned his com-
mission in July 1897 Subsequently he ob-
tained a commission in the African Frontier
Force (Nov. 1897), serving during the opera-
tions in Northern Nigeria from 1899-1902,
and being several times mentioned in despatches.
He became Capt. in June 1902, being specially
promoted into the Manchester Regt. for his ser-
vices in W. Africa. In 1901 he became second-
class Resident at Zaria, in Northern Nigeria, an
appointment which he held at the time of his
death, from malignant fever, at Rano, on
Feb. 11, 1904.

WISE ; only son of the Rev. E. A. Amyatt-Burney,
of Babcary Rectory, Somerton was born in 1878 ;
%vas educated at the Acad., Gosport, and served
with the I.Y. in the late S.A. War, and later
was attached to the S.A.C. He was invalided
home alter two attacks of dysentery, and in
the latter part of 1903 was appointed District
Supt. of Police for the Bassa Province. He
was killed while on active service in Northern
Nigeria in 1904.

BARTER, CHARLES, late of The Finish,
Pietermaritzburg, Natal, where he died on
June 7, 1904, was the eldest son of the Rev.
Charles Barter, of Sarsden, Oxon, was edu-
cated at Westminster, and was a Fellow of
New Coll., Oxford. He first went to the Garden
Colony on a flying visit in 1850. Two years
later, however, he settled there permanently.
In 1865 he became a member of the Natal
Legislative Council, and for years sturdily sup-
ported the movement for responsible govern-

ment in the face of considerable opposition.
In 1873 he received the command of the Natal
Carbineers, and with over a hundred men
accompanied Sir Theophilus Shepstone on his
coronation visit to the Zulu chief, Cetywayo.
Mr. Barter edited the "Natal Times" for
some years, and afterwards became Magistrate
at Inanda and at Pietermaritzburg (1880).
He was an experienced farmer, a thorough
sportsman, and died at the ripe age of 83.

at Kokstad, S.A., Oct. 28, 1902, was a
younger brother of Gen. Louis Botha, and it
was he who during the late S.A. War met Gen.
Buller, after the Transvaal forces had been
driven from Natal, with a view to negotiations
for surrender.

late of the Hampshire Regt., entered the Army
Feb. 20, 1897, and received his first step Mar.
8, 1899. He served in the Somali Field Force
in 1903-4, and was killed in action against the
dervishes in Jan. 1904.

COHEN, HARRY FREEMAN, late of Johannes-
burg, formerly lived at Newcastle-on-Tyne,
and afterwards at Cardiff, where he was in-
terested in the coal and shipping business, and
in 1888 went to S.A., proceeding in the
early days to Johannesburg where he became
Chairman and Managing Director of Freeman
Cohen's Consolidated, Chairman in Johannes-
burg of the Bantjes Deep, Geldenhuis Main
Reef, Potchefstroom Exploration, Rand Col-
lieries, and South Village Deep Cos., and a
Director of the Anglian Mining and Finance,
Durban Roodepoort Deep, Langlaagte Block
B. Deep, Roodepoort Central Deep, South
Randfontein Deep, and the Treasury Gold
Mines. Mr. Cohen's Co., the Freeman Cohen's
Consolidated, guaranteed a quarter of a million




of the Transvaal Contribution Loan. He had
an immense faith in the deep levels, and was
one of the first to acquire large blocks of these.
Although not mixing in politics he founded the
'' Rand Daily Mail," but soon abandoned
journalism. He died on Jan. 24, 1904, at the
age of 49, leaving a widow and four children.

COILLARD, M., the oldest missionary in
Rhodesia, has died during the year. The
news of his death there was received with
regret not only by those who had the privilege
of his acquaintance, but also by those who
knew him by the good deeds he wrought and
the kindly sympathy he showed to the wanderer
irrespective of creed. In M. Alfred Bertrand's
work, " The Kingdom of the Barotsi," the
author points out that he adopted therein the
rules proposed by M. Coillard " a high
authority on the matter " concerning the ortho-
graphy of the names of the various territories and
tribes found in the kingdom of ba-Rotsi. He
also speaks of his arrival at the missionary
station of Sefula, which is built on the summit
of a hillock. " It was founded by M. Coillard
in 1886, and here is the tomb of Madame Coil-
lard, the faithful and intrepid companion of
this heroic missionary." M. Coillard, he adds,
exerted a great influence over Lewanika, the
Barotsi chief, and was mainly instrumental in
putting down the " terrible ordeal by boiling
water " which those had to undergo who were
accused of casting evil spells over their fellows.

C.B., was born in 1835, and entered the Army
at the age of 20. He served in the Kafir War
of 1877-78, and took part in the operations
against the Galekas and in the attack on the
Taba ka Udoda, being twice mentioned in
despatches. He also served in the Zulu War of
]879, and received the C.B. for his services.
He became Col. of the South Wales Borderers
in 1900, and was appointed Major-Gen, in 1901.
He died on Nov. 26, 1902.

DE JONG, FRANK, who died recently at
Teneriffe, was a son of Edward de Jong, of
Manchester, who is still one of the world's
greatest flautists. The late Mr. Frank de Jong
was in his 42nd year, and although he had
only been associated with S.A. for a dozen
years or so, he had earned a world-wide reputa-
tion as a theatrical manager and lessee who
was responsible for some of the best companies

that ever visited S.A. He had been for many
years lessee of the Opera House, Cape Town.

DOOMS, AUGUSTE, first non-commissioned
officer of the Force Publique and chief of the
Bongo (Upper Congo) Station, died at M'Bale
under tragic circumstances. On May 2, 1904,
Mr. Dooms left M'Bale, whither he had gone
on a mission, in order to regain his post at
Bongo, in a canoe on the river Olongo-Lule.
On the way he was attacked by a tornado, which
forced him to take refuge on the bank, and
when he went on again it was already late.
Night began to fall as he approached the mouth
of the river Olongo-Lule. He saw some hippo-
potami and gave chase to them. He killed
one, but a second hippo grew enraged, rushed
at the canoe, overturned it, and smashed it to
pieces. Everyone in the canoe was saved with
the exception of Mr. Dooms, who did not come
to the surface again, and was drowned in spite
of the efforts of the others, who were all good
swimmers and divers.

DORFFEL, D., late of Johannesburg, where
he died in May 1904, was born in Saxony in
1857, and devoted the whole of his too short
career to scientific and technical pursuits. He
went to S.A. in 1895, and joined the staff of
Henderson's Transvaal Estates, with which
Company he remained up to his death. He
occupied a prominent position amongst local
scientists, and was on the Council of the Geolo-
gical Society.

the Senator of the Calvados, died Jan., 1904, in
Abyssinia at the age of 29. He was Knight of
the Legion of Honour, and at the early age
of twenty-seven had made several scientific
expeditions into Abyssinia, where he had ren-
dered signal services in the construction of the
Harrar railroad.

GILL, PROFESSOR JAMES, who died in the
Cape Colony in 1904, aged 71, was educated at
Christ's Hospital and at Pembroke Coll., Cam-
bridge. For many years he was engaged in
educational work, and taught on the classical
side of the Graaff Reinet, Diocesan, and South
African Colls. He retired into private life
several years ago, acquiring a large piece of
land on the mountain side at Muizenberg, in
the affairs of which he always took a keen inter-
est, whilst any movement having for its aim the



advance of education invariably found in him
a staunch supporter.

GORDON, FREDERICK, was the well-known
Chairman of the Gordon Hotels, Limited, and
Director of other important Cos. Mr.
Frederick Gordon's death removed a notable
man from commercial and financial circles,
The enterprise with which his name is most
naturally identified is the huge combine known
as the Gordon Hotels, of which he was Chairman.
Closely allied, although the undertakings are
distinct, is the Frederick Hotels, Ltd., from
the equipment of which the firm of Maple &
Co., Ltd., has drawn so much business. Mr.
Gordon, besides being a Director of Maple's,
was a great personal friend and financial asso-
ciate of the late Sir John Blundell Maple, and
together they represented the original monetary
strength behind the group of West African
mining Cos. of which the Ashanti Gold-
fields Corporation is the chief. Holborn &
Frascati, Ltd., of which Mr. Gordon was Chair-
man, was a promotion of his, quite apart from
his other hotel interests. He was on the board
of such important industrial Cos. as Bovril,
Ltd., A. & F. Pears, Ltd., and Apollinaris &
Johannis, Ltd. Recently he became a Director
of the big English steel combine of Guest, Keen
& Nettlefolds, Ltd.

GOUGH, COL. BLOOMFIELD, late of the 9th
Lancers, who was killed in a carriage accident
in July, 1904, had a notable military career.
He fought in the Afghan War of 1878-80,
taking part in Lord Roberts' famous march to
Kandahar, and in the first part of the last
S.A. War, in which the incident occurred
which resulted in his retirement from the
service. During Lord Methuen's advance, just
before the action at Graspan, he refused to go
forward on the grounds that his men and horses
were too exhausted for further duty. As a
result of his protest he was recalled to England,
was refused a court-martial, although his per-
sonal courage was never disputed, and his re-
tirement followed.

took up a commission in the Cape Colonial
Forces in 1874. He served as a Capt. in the
Gaika-Galeka War, and was the chief colonial
Staff Officer sent to King Williamstown to meet
Gen. Clark, at the commencement of the Basuto
War, through which he served in command of a
troop of Lonsdale's Horse, receiving a medal and

clasp. While in King Williamstown he was
largely instrumental in re-forming the local
veterans into what are now the Kaffrarian
Rifles. He died at Maritzburg in 1902, after a
long and painful illness, at the age of 70.

HARPER, CAPT, E. MOORE, served in the
Ashanti Expedition of 1873-74, and in the Perak
Expedition. He also took part in the Basuto,
Zulu, and Boer campaigns. While employed
in the Congo Free State from 1883 to 1888, he
received the Orders of the Congo Star and the
Leopold. He entered the service of the Niger
Company in 1886, organized the civil police,
and acted for a time as chief magistrate. He
consequently held several Consular positions in
W. Africa, and died at Plymouth, Sept. 20,

D.S.O., son of the late Gen. Broadley Harrison,
of Kynaston, Ross, Herefordshire, was born in
Sept. 1864, and entered the Army as a Lieut,
in the llth Hussars in 1885. He served in the
last Boer War, being twice mentioned in des-
patches by Sir Redvers Buller, and received
the D.S.O. for his services. He died suddenly
during a polo game at Cairo on Nov. 1, 1902.

ex-Pres. of the S.A. Republic, a summary of
whose career appears on pp. 96-100, had been
in bad health for several months, when on
July 14, 1904, he expired at his villa at Clarens,
Switzerland, death being due to senile decay,
hastened by an attack of pneumonia. For
three months the ex-Pres. had been only kept
alive by continuous massage. But at last he
felt the end coming. Five days before his
death, he took to his bed and Bible, and sur-
rounded by relatives and friends he bade them
all farewell, a Dutch pastor administering
the sacrament. Two days later he breathed
his last. He had previously made a piteous
but ineffectual appeal to the British Govt.
to be allowed to end his days in the Transvaal.
But his desire to be buried in Pretoria by the
side of his wife met with a ready acquiescence
from the Govt. It is curious that the British
Minister through whom his last appeal was
made was Sir W. Conyngham Greene (q.v.),
who received from Mr. Kriiger, under far
different circumstances, the ultimatum of the
Transvaal Govt. before the great Boer War.

LAURENT, the well-known savant and



botanist, died at sea on board the Albert-
ville from malaria. When the news of the
death became known the passengers were filled
with consternation. Mr. Fuchs, the Vice-
Governor of the Congo, and M. Sparrow, the
capt. of the Albertville, established the fact
of the death and transacted the legal formalities.

LISTER, CAPT. HON. T., D.S.O., late of the
10th Hussars, was the heir of Lord Ribblesdale,
and entered the Army in 1879, and served in
the S.A. War, taking part in the relief of Kim-
berley and actions on the march to Bloemfon-
tein, receiving the D.S.O., and the Queen's
medal with six clasps. Im 1903-4 Capt. Lister
served under Gen. Egerton in the Somali Field
Force as special service officer, and was killed
at Jidballi in Jan., 1904, in his 26th year.

LOVEJOY, CAPT., who was one of the
youngest captains in command of the Congo
steamers, died from fever early last May. He
was 28 years of age, and his death was greatly
regretted in the Belgian Colonial service.

Albany, C.C.. in 1902, aged 70, was the son of an
English settler of 1820. At the age of seventeen
the deceased gentleman fought with the
Grahamstown Volunteers in the Kafir War of
1848, and in the campaign of 1856-58 he
served as an officer in Sir Walter Currie's police,
being severely wounded. He married a dau.
of Gen. Bissett.

NELL, of the Antrim Artillery, who was killed
in 1904 in the operations against the Aga-
popo tribes at Lakoja, in Northern Nigeria, was
in his 35th year, and was the eldest son of
Daniel O'Connell O'Riordan, an eminent Q.C.
of the Irish Bar. The deceased officer was a
Gold Medallist of Trinity Coll., Dublin, and
had served for five years in Southern Nigeria
under Sir Ralph Moore before being transferred
in Oct. 1903, to perform fchities under Sir
Frederick Lugard which have brought such a
tragic close to a promising career.

PAULING, HAROLD, Assoc. M. Inst, C.E.,
late of Rondebosch, C.C., died last June
from peritonitis. The deceased gentleman
was a son of Mr. Henry Pauling, late chief
engineer of the Cape Govt. Railways, and a
cousin of Mr. Geo. Pauling, of Victoria Street,S.W.
He was born at the Cape some thirty-nine years

ago ; commenced his professional career as a
Govt. civil engineer, and then devoted his
abilities to railway construction and contract-
ing. He was practically the principal of Pauling
& Co. in S.A., and under his direction some
2,000 miles of railway have been constructed
in Cape Colony and Rhodesia. Mr. Pauling
was to have left Cape Town for the north for
the purpose of formally handing over the
line to the Rhodesian Railway Co. Few
men had more friends, or have been more
generally respected.

Corps) ; served with the Burmese Expedition
from 1885 to 1887, and was wounded in the
course of the operations. In 1897-8 he took
part in the Tirah Expedition. He was selected
for special service with the Rhodesian Field
Force in March, 1900, and took part in the
operations in Rhodesia in May, and in the
Western Transvaal from July to Nov., including
the actions at Eland's River in Aug. He also
served in the O.R.C.,and the northern part of
Cape Colony. He was mentioned in despatches
and obtained brevet of Major dated Nov. 29, 1900,
receiving the medal with three clasps. In Feb.,
1902, he resumed the position of Deputy -Asst.
Quartermaster-Gen, at the Headquarters of the
Army in India. Maj. Peach was a qualified
interpreter in Russian, and was also acquainted
with French, Hindustani, and Persian. He
wrote the history of the Burmah War for the
" Encyclopaedia Britannica," and published a
work on " Tactics: Savage Warfare." He died
in London, Dec. 17, 1902, at the age of 37.

PRINSLOO, GEN., was a native of the
O.F.S., and his name will live in S.A. history
as the only Boer General besides Cronje who
surrendered with a large force to the British.
With Comdt. Olivier he had about 5,500 mounted
men and eight guns, and in July 1901 was
in the neighbourhood of Bethlehem. Gen.
Hunter had charge of the operations against
this force, and with the aid of columns under
Gens. Rundle, Clements, Paget, MacDonald,
and Bruce Hamilton, he nursed the Boers
to the south of Bethlehem, and eventually
rounded them up in the Brandwater Basin,
where Gen. Prinsloo surrendered on July 30
xuiconditionally, but Olivier declined to be
bound by the action of his superior, and broke
away with 1,500 men -and five guns. There
had been considerable friction in the Boer
camp, and in Gen. De Wet's book, " Three



Years' War," a strong attack is made upon
Prinsloo, whose right to command the force was
disputed, because of irregularities in his election
in the field, and whose surrender was attributed
to treachery. Gen. Prinsloo was the most
important of the " hands-uppers." and his
conduct in making the surrender though
the circumstances were, in a military sense, such
as afforded him no reasonable alternative
drew down upon him the detestation of the
extreme section of his countrymen.

late of Groot Schuur, near Capt Town, came
from a stock which records some two hundred
years old state to have belonged to the yeoman
class. The first of Mr. Rhodes' ancestors who
can be traced with any certainty was a man
of some substance flourishing at the beginning
of the eighteenth century. He acquired an
estate in Bloomsbury, where he had consider-
able flocks. By the time the late Cecil Rhodes'
grandfather appeared on the scene the family
had already attained to a prosperous position.
Samuel Rhodes, great-grandfather of the great
Englishman whose death has left so serious
a void, founded two county families in the
persons of his sons Thomas and William.
William Rhodes was succeeded in his estate by
his son, the Rev. Francis William Rhodes,
Vicar of Bishop's Stortford, Herts, and Cecil
John Rhodes was born at the Vicarage on
July 5, 1853, within a couple of years of the
time when the Transvaal State was accorded
its full independence under the Sand River
Convention, and a few months after the British
Govt. decided to abandon the sovereignty of
the O.F.S. For eight years he attended the
Bishop's Stortford Grammar School, pursuing
his studies with that diligence and dogged deter-
mination which was one of his most striking
characteristics, and, in spite of some physical
weakness, taking part in field sports. He left
schoolat theendof 1869, and shortly afterwards
developed a serious lung affection, which was
responsible for Mr. Rhodes taking a long sea trip
to S.A. On Sept. 1, 1870, three years after the
discovery of the first diamond, which led to the
opening up of the Diamond Fields, in the subse-
quent exploitation of which he was destined to
play such an important part, he landed at Durban,
Natal, and joined his eldest brother Herbert,
who was a cotton-planter in the southern part
of the Colony. Here, thanks to the favourable
climatic influences, before many months had
passed he was restored to health and vigour.

Having tired of the prosaic life of cotton-
planting, the elder brother in 1871 went to
the Diamond Fields, where he engaged in
the more exciting occupation of diamond-
digging, and a few months later Cecil Rhodes
journeyed to Kimberley for the purpose of seek-
ing his fortune in the same industry. The
brothers worked a claim between them for a
time, when, in 1874, Herbert left the Diamond
Fields on a hunting and exploring expedition
in the interior, in the course of which he met
with an untimely and terrible death, near the
Shire River, through the burning of his hut
during the night.

Between the years 1873 and 1881 Mr. Rhodes
was very successful on the diamond diggings,
and it was during that period that he laid the
foundation of the great wealth he subsequently
acquired and so liberally spent for the purpose
of promoting and carrying out those schemes
of Imperial expansion which have made his
name a household word even to the most
distant parts of the Empire. But Mr. Rhodes
was more than a diamond digger. With one
eye on his work and the other on his books he
managed to complete that education which had
been begun at Bishop's Stortford, and from
1873 to 1881 he put in a portion of each year
at Oriel Coll., Oxon, where he graduated B.A.
and M.A., and where he became acquainted
with Mr. Rochfort Maguire, who subsequently
became associated with his political and com-
mercial enterprises. At the same time he
stored up that intimate knowledge of Colonial
politics and questions affecting British interests
in S.A., which in later years proved to be of
such immense practical value to him.

When he first began to take an interest in
S.A. polities Mr. Rhodes recognized the im-
portance of British expansion northwards, and
of the eventual federation of the various
Colonies and States in S.A., and he determined
to devote his powers and his energies to the
attainment of those objects. Influences were
at work, the aim of which was practically to
confine Great Britain in S.A. to Cape Colony
and Natal ; and it was in the hope of being
able to circumvent the enemies of his country,
and to secure the lion's share of Africa for the
British, that Mr. Rhodes resolved to attain such
a position as would enable him to carry out his
aims. For this not only parliamentary power
was necessary but, what was even more
important, great wealth. Fortune, in the early
days in Kimberley, had smiled somewhat
liberally upon him, and he was making money



and building up a reputation as a young man
possessed of more than ordinary foresight and
ability, when, in the latter part of 1880, he
was elected to represent the district of Barkly
West in the House of Assembly. He con-
tinued to represent Barkly West to the day
of his death, the large majority of the electors,
in spite of strenuous opposition and misrepre-
sentation at election times, loyally supporting
their distinguished member, in whom they
took more than an ordinary interest, After
the death of his brother in 1877 Mr. Rhodes
entered into partnership with Mr. C. D. Rudd
(q.v.), who, like himself, had gone out to S.A.
in search of health as well as fortune. In
addition to working hard in their diamond claims
and carrying on their business as diamond

Online LibraryWalter H WillsThe Anglo-African who's who and biographical sketch-book → online text (page 36 of 49)