of his stock. Apparently everything he touched turned to money under
his management, and his land holdings at one time comprised 2,000 acres
nearly in one body.
As a citizen he was patriotic and at the outbreak of the Civil war tried
to enlist. Sometime before during an illness he had been salivated and
his teeth came out, a condition which rendered him incapable of duty as
a soldier. His physician at Princeton, to whom he reported for examina-
tion, told him to go home and not think of enlisting because he could
not eat, let alone bite a cartridge and do other things required of a
soldier. Failing to go himself, he sent a substitute, Robert Baker, and
also provided seven mounts from his stock for the militiamen of the state.
Politically he confined his interest to casting a vote for democratic candi-
dates, while his father and brothers were all republicans, the former
originally a whig. He was a Missionary Baptist in church affairs, and
also a Knight Templar Mason.
A few years after the war Joseph Webb engaged in merchandising
at Cainsville with J. H. Burrows, and that was a successful partnership
for several years, and later was at Mount Moriah for several years. Still
later he became identified with banking, first at Lyons, Kansas, where
his son-in-law, Mr. Deupree, organized a bank. Later he joined another
son-in-law, J. W. Pulliam, at Little River, Kansas, in the organization of
a bank, and when his youngest daughter married G. W. Hanna his
assistance was extended to the latter in the establishment of a bank at
Galvia, Kansas. Mr. Deupree, Jo Slatten, Joseph Bryant and Mr. Webb
organized banks at other points in Kansas, and they were successful in-
stitutions until the panic of 1893 and the crash of small banks all over the .
West, when their "second loans" brought bankruptcy, and Joseph Webb
was a heavy loser. Joseph Webb was a man of strenuous activity all his
life. While not of large physique, he weighed 180 pounds, was stout as
a mule and could lift 900 pounds, only one man in Missouri having ever
proved his superior in this feat of strength. He was always in the lead
when work was to be done, and he could never bear to see anyone idle.
His own children were put into the harness of practical work at an early
age, and he impressed them with the value of time. If a rain drove his
workers to shelter, he always had some task ready to hand until the
weather cleared. If nothing else, there was wood to chop or stable to
Joseph Webb married his first wife in St. Charles, Missouri, but she
died in nineteen months without children. His second wife, whom he
married in 1854, died in seven months. In February, 1856, in St. Charles
County he married Elizabeth Cockrell. She became the mother of eleven
children, and the eight who grew up are mentioned : William L. ; Martha
L., wife of E. A. Deupree, of Dora, Missouri; Charles T., a farmer of
Mount Moriah; Mary C, wife of J. W. Pulliam of Lyons, Kansas; Joseph
1542 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
E., of San Diego, California; J. Richard, a farmer at Mount Moriah;
Sarah E., wife of George W. Hanna, of Kansas City ; and James A., of
The extensive business relations of Joseph Webb furnished a scene of
action already prepared for his son, William L. Webb. He obtained an
education from the country schools, but began farming when eight years
old. Plowing was about his first important service, and by the age of
fifteen he was counted as a full hand in the harvest field. His father
used him a great deal in his stock operations, and he often went to Prince-
ton for the thousands of dollars needed to pay for the stock when it was
assembled at such points as Clinkinbeard's, at Cheney's near Ridgeway,
and also at Mount Moriah where Joseph Webb put in the first scales.
Until the railroad came the shipping was done through Osceola, Iowa, and
later from Princeton. Among other experiences Mr. Webb became ac-
quainted with merchandising and spent two years of his early manhood
in running a store at Mount Moriah, and this was a practical addition
to his general education.
When Mr. William Webb married he located on one of the tenant
places of the family homestead, and the next year came to his present
farm. At the time there was a fairly good house, but it burned and was'
replaced by the present residence. Much of his 260 acres Mr. Webb
rents, but in the course of thirty years all the improvements represent
his practical work and judgment. He is a stockholder in the Bank of
Mount Moriah, to which his father stood in a similar relation. Mr. Webb
was the pioneer in using the road drag along his own highway, known as
the Coal Valley Trail. He is a democrat in state and national questions,
but supports the man who will give service on local matters. He has
served as secretary of Mount Moriah Lodge of Odd Fellows, and his
household is represented through his wife and daughter, Zoe Louise, in
the Methodist Church.
April 24, 1881, Mr. Webb married Miss Carrie Mumma, the youngest
child of John and Mary (Blount) Mumma, Her father died at Win-
chester, Indiana, and was buried at his birthplace, Middletown, Ohio.
His wife was a daughter of Ambrose Blount, who was a doctor and who
had a son, a famous dentist at Springfield, Ohio. After the death of
John Mumma his widow came to Missouri in 1869 and married George
Stewart of Mount Moriah, where she spent her last days. The other chil-
dren besides Mrs. Webb were : Charles, of St. Joseph ; Ambrose, who was
killed while a soldier in the Union army ; Eliza, who married Daniel Kent
and died in Harrison County ; John, of Kansas City ; Mary, who married
Elias M. Riley and died in Harrison County, leaving a daughter, Mrs.
Doctor Stoughton, of Ridgeway. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Webb
are mentioned briefly as follows: James Edwin, who was killed by a
horse when four and a half years old; William Earl, a farmer, who
married Grace Coffman and has two children, Joseph Paul and Freida
Elizabeth ; and Miss Zoe Louise, who graduated from the Bethany High
School and attended the University of Missouri at Columbia, and is now
teaching in the Mount Moriah schools.
Will C. Baldwin. Harrison County has profited by the stable citi-
zenship and unfaltering industry of the Baldwin family since 1857.
Practically all bearing the name have been interested in agriculture,
but their services have been extended also to business, finance, politics,
education, religion and society. Will C. Baldwin, a resident of Martins-
ville, president of the Farmers' Insurance Company, and widely known
as a farmer, is the representative of the third generation of Baldwins
in Harrison County. He was born in his present locality in Dallas
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1543
Township, October 4, 1860, and his old home is still in the family, it
having been entered from the United States Government by his father
Ezra Baldwin, the grandfather of Will C. Baldwin, entered the land
upon which Martinsville is now situated and made that his home until
he passed away in 1884. He was a New York man, born in that state
in 1800, and was there given good educational advantages, eventually
adopting the profession of law, at Detroit and in other cities of Michigan.
At one time he was a member of the Michigan Legislature, and prior
to the organization of the republican party gave his support to the whigs.
Mr. Baldwin came West to secure homes for his children from the public
domain, and what little he had to do with affairs in Harrison County
was as a farmer. Mr. Baldwin was a good business man and died leaving
a landed estate. He married Mary McClung, an Irish girl, born in
County Armagh. Ireland, who came to the United States in 1819,
when she was twenty years of age, and she passed away in 1886. Their
children were as follows: Ezra T., the father of Will C. Baldwin;
Edward, who was a resident of Texas when the Civil war came on, served
in that struggle as captain o*f a company of Texas troops in the Con-
federate service, returned successfully to his home and took up the
practice of law, and spent his latter years in Harrison County, Missouri,
where he died ; Sarah, who gave many years of her life to school teach-
ing, married George Raines, and died near Mount Ayr, Iowa; and
Alexander, who died unmarried.
Ezra T. Baldwin, father of Will C. Baldwin, was born at Birming-
ham, Michigan, March 24, 1837, and spent his boyhood in that city and
at Detroit, where his father practiced law. He was given the privileges
of a liberal education, and this assisted him greatly in after years, when
it enabled him to surpass the business qualifications of the average of
his fellowmen in Missouri. He was early able to see the future of Mis-
souri lands, and acquired a great amount of other land adjacent to his
original entry, mentioned before, becoming one of the leading farmers
of his part of Harrison County, and at his death deeding his property
to his children in common, in which form it still stands. Mr. Baldwin
was residing in this county when the great struggle between the North
and the South swept across the country, and he gave his support to the
Union, not only morally, but as a soldier. For several years of the war
he held the rank of lieutenant, and his service was principally in Mis-
souri, but although evidence has it that he was at all times a brave and
faithful soldier, in later years he would say little about his service, and
he seldom took part in the meetings or activities of the Grand Army
of the Republic. In political matters he was a republican, and was an
active man in that sphere, attending numerous conventions and state
meetings, particularly in early days. In 1872 he was elected to the office
of county treasurer of Harrison County, but with the expiration of his
four-year term his public services ceased. As a business man, Mr. Bald-
win was one of the main factors in the organization of the Bank of
Martinsville, and at the time of his death was its chief executive. Fra-
ternally, his connection was with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
assisted to organize the lodge at Martinsville, and filled its chief chair
for a long period. A man of determination and initiative, he always
had his plans ready and complete and followed them to the letter, while
he left behind him a record worthy to be studied by posterity, for his
great success was built up on nothing more than his disposition to
Mr. Baldwin was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Clark, a
daughter of Thomas Clark, who lived and died in Ohio, and who was
1544 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Baldwin passed away in 1878,
at the age of forty-two years, having been the mother of four children,
as follows : Will C, of this review ; Elmer, who is a successful farmer
and owns a property in the vicinity of Martinsville; Miss Lucile, who
is engaged in teaching public school in Harrison County; and Miss
William C. Baldwin had access to the Stanberry Normal after the
public schools, and after his graduation therefrom, in 1884, entered upon
his career as a public school teacher. This he followed for some eight
years, doing work at Martinsville and became popularly known, but
during this time did not discard the vocation of farmer, an occupation
in which he had been reared. At the time of his marriage he located at
his present home, where he has continued to reside to the present time
and to be successfully engaged in farming and stock raising, pursuits
for which he has demonstrated great adaptability.
Mr. Baldwin was married May 20, 1886, to Miss Hattie Robins, a
daughter of John Robins, an old pioneer of Linn County, Iowa, where
Mrs. Baldwin was born in 1868. There were four children in the Robins
family, namely : Mrs. Baldwin ; Will ; Libbie, the wife of Bert Pletcher ;
and Ella, the wife of L. Roberts. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have one child :
Marie, who is the wife of Will Ross, the latter the active farmer of the
Will C. Baldwin homestead.
Mr. Baldwin is a republican in politics, but has held no public office.
He is a valued and popular member of the local lodge of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, in which he is past grand. His religious con-
nection is with the Martinsville Presbyterian Church, and for several
years has served as elder. The Farmers Insurance Company of Harrison
County, of which Mr. Baldwin is president, was organized in 1897, at
which time he became a member of the board of directors. He was made
president of this institution' in 1912, and has represented it in the con-
ventions of the Farmers' Mutual Insurance Association of Missouri on
various annual occasions. He has written business for this company for
the west half of Harrison County since the time of its organization.
Robert Russell. A Holt County citizen whose enterprise is ex-
hibited in the ownership of a fine farm in Liberty Township, which repre-
sents the accumulations of his active experience, Robert Russell is a native
of Holt County, and represents one of the pioneers of this section of
He was born at Oregon, Missouri, December 9, 1858, a son of R. H.
and Mary (Crowley) Russell. He was one of a family of seven children,
and after the death of his mother, his father married Susan Bishop, and
there were three children by that union. R. H. Russell came to Missouri
from Miami County, Ohio, and founded a home in Holt County when it
was just emerging from the wilderness.
Robert Russell married Bettie Cottrell. They were married in Oregon,
where Mrs. Russell was born, a daughter of John and Matilda (Kennedy)
Cottrell. Mrs. Russell had one sister and one brother, and after her
mother's death her father was again married and had a child by the
second wife. Mr. and Mrs. Russell are the parents of two children, both
of whom were born in Holt County. Their names are Leila and Cleve.
The son married Ruth Vance, and has one child, Marcell.
After his marriage Mr. Russell began to provide a living for his family
by working for others, and some years later settled on a farm of his own
two miles east of Oregon. He cleared it up and did some improvement,
then sold at an advantage, and continued buying and selling and im-
proving land until he located on his present farm in 1901. Previously
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1545
he and his family had spent two years in California. The present Russell
farm in Liberty Township comprises 120 acres, and practically all its
improvements represent the management of Mr. Russell. Mr. Russell
has served on the school board of Holt County, and in politics is a
William Henry Winningham, M. D. Many of the men in the med-
ical profession today are devoting themselves in a large measure to the
prevention of disease as well as its cure. In this way their efficiency as
benefactors has extended much beyond the scope of the old-fashioned
practice when the doctor was related to his patients only as an individual.
One of the ablest representatives of this type of modern physician,
who has enjoyed special prestige as a physician and surgeon, is Dr. Wil-
liam H. Winningham of Trenton. Doctor Winningham for the past two
years has served as city and county physician, and is a man of broad
attainments and has given much practical service to the community
through his professional work. He comes of an old Northwest Mis-
souri family, and its members have been prominent in the professions
and in business and public affairs.
William Henry Winningham was born in Harrison County, Missouri.
His father, Isam Winningham, was born in the same county in 1844.
Grandfather John Winningham was a native of Kentucky, came to
Missouri and after a short residence in Boone County moved to Har-
rison County, where he was one of the pioneers. He entered land
from the Government about two miles northeast of the present site of
Bethany. Possessing means and exceptional enterprise, in 1849 he fitted
out a train of ox teams and made the overland journey to California.
In that state he disposed of his teams and other merchandise, and re-
turned east by sea around Cape Horn. Subsequently he ventured twice
more into the wilds of the West. On the third trip he loaded his wagons
with bacon and boots, much in demand among the mining population of
California. Arriving there he disposed of his goods at a profit, but lost
his life while returning home. His wife, whose maiden name was Melinda
Boyd, was left a widow with seven young children, and had considerable
trouble to keep them all together and give each a substantial education
and training for life. She spent her last days in Gentry County. Her
children were: Charles, Isam, Frank, Sharpe, Julia, May and Sarah.
Charles lost his life while a soldier in the Confederate army; Frank
embraced the profession of medicine and for upwards of half a century
practiced in Harrison County. Sharpe is still a substantial farmer of
Harrison County. Julia married William Buzzard and lives at Cedar
Edge, Colorado. Sarah died unmarried, and Mary married Dr. F. M.
Burgin, who for about fifty years was a physician in Harrison County.
Isam Winningham grew up in Harrison County, was a young man
when the war broke out, and at the age of seventeen enlisted for service
in the Confederate army, his and his family's sympathies having been
with the South. He fought under General Price in the important cam-
paign in Southwestern Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas and was
severely wounded at Pea Ridge, the culminating battle of that campaign.
After a few weeks he recovered and with that exception fought with his
command through all its campaigns and battles until the close of the
war. Returning home he resumed farming at the old homestead, and in
1880 moved to Albany, where he was engaged in the hardware trade until
1900. Selling out, he then continued his business enterprise, although
at a good old age, and at Edinburg operated a feed mill until his death
in 1904. His life was terminated through the explosion of a boiler in
his mill, and thus both grandfather and father of Doctor Winningham
1546 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
lost their lives while in the active work of their careers. Isam Winning-
ham was married in Benton County, Arkansas, to Nannie Neill. She was
born at Nashville, Tennessee, and her father, John Neill, moved to
Arkansas in 1851. He brought his family with him and with teams and
wagons penetrated the wilds of Northwest Arkansas and established a
pioneer home in Benton County. Benton County was then and for many
years afterwards located on the frontier, there was no railroad within a
hundred miles, and Nannie Neill was thus reared in the midst of pioneer
surroundings. Benton County was in the direct path of the important
campaign of the early Civil war which terminated in the battle of Pea
Ridge, and Nannie Neill met her future husband while he was lighting
under General Price, and they were married some time during the prog-
ress of the war. She is still living, her home at Edinburg, and has reared
four children: William Henry, May, wife of C. S. Horr. of Kansas City;
Katie, wife of David Witten ; and Amie, wife of Charles Warner.
Doctor Winningham received his early education in the country
schools and subsequently attended the Albany High School and the Stan-
berry Normal. When he was nineteen years old he taught his first term,
and had already determined upon medicine as his profession. He began
the study of medicine with Dr. G. F. Peery of Albany, and subsequently
entered Marion Sims Medical College, now the medical department of
the St. Louis University. He graduated M. D. March 23, 1893. His
initial practice was in Albany, and in 1893 he moved to Edinburg and
in 1905 established his office at Trenton. Doctor Winningham has never
been content to fall into a rut in practice, and has been a constant student
and a close observer ever since beginning practice. In 1901 he took post-
graduate work in the Chicago Polyclinic, and in 1904 did further work
in St. Louis and several times since then has absented himself from his
local business long enough to enjoy the opportunities of the larger cities
In August, 1895, Doctor Winningham married Miss Nannie Floyd
Witten, who was born in Daviess County, Missouri, a daughter of William
and Pamelia Witten. Mrs. Winningham died in 1899, and left two
daughters, Elizabeth and Helen. Elizabeth died when fourteen years
old, and Helen is now a student in the Trenton High School. Doctor Win-
ningham has membership in the Grundy County and Missouri State
Medical societies and the American Medical Association. Fraternally
he is affiliated with Trenton Lodge No. Ill, A. F. & A. M. ; Royal Arch
Chapter No. 66 at Trenton; and Godfrey de Bouillon Commandery No.
24, Knights Templars. He is also affiliated with Lodge No. 801 of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, with the Knights of the Mac-
cabees and with Edinburg Lodge No. 394, 1. 0. O. F. Doctor Winningham
has served as city and county physician for the past two years, and has
done much to safeguard public health and improve the public knowledge
and practice of sanitation in this community.
Godfrey Marti. A resident of Holt County for thirty years, Godfrey
Marti is the owner of a large and finely improved farm near Mound City.
His career has encouragement for young men who start without resources
except those contained in themselves. Mr. Marti was foreign born, came
to this country in young manhood, had no capital, and began his career
as a renter, steadily prospered and thriftily turned his surplus into more
land, until he now finds himself independent and with ample provision
for the future of himself and family.
Godfrey Marti was born in Switzerland May 15, 1864, a son of John
and Rose (Schorer) Marti. The parents were born and married in
Switzerland, and after seven children were born to them, six daughters
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1547
and one son, they all emigrated to America in 1883. They came directly
to Northwest Missouri, settling in Holt County. The father died in Holt
County in 1909, and the mother is now seventy-two years of age and
living with a daughter in Wisconsin. Both parents were members of the
German Methodist Church, and the father now rests in Mount Hope
Godfrey Marti had a limited education, and learned the English
language after coming to America. Hard work constituted the lever by
which he elevated himself into prosperity. For several months after
reaching Northwest Missouri he worked as a laborer for others, and then
for two years was a renter. With such means and credit as he could
acquire, he bought a small piece of land, and has kept adding in small
amounts until his present farm comprises 300 acres. His original pur-
chase consisted of 120 acres in section 6 of Liberty Township. It was
considered an improved farm, though the improvements were poor as
compared with those at present. The old house burned down, and Mr.
Marti has replaced it with a comfortable modern dwelling, and has also
erected a good barn.
Mr. Marti married Mary Schneider, daughter of George Schneider.
They are the parents of five children : John. Frances, Anna, Herman
and -Lester, all of whom were born on the Marti farm. Mr. Marti and
family are members of the German Methodist Church, and in politics he
is a republican, the same party with which his father affiliated.
J. E. Ward. Long known as an enterprising and successful farmer
in Holt County, J. E. Ward came to this section of Northwest Missouri
about thirty-five years ago, and has since been identified with the com-
munity about Mound City and vicinity. Mr. Ward in early life had to
struggle hard for what he got, and since coming to Northwest Missouri
has found ample reward for his industry, and is one of the men of sub-
stantial influence in Holt County.
J. E. Ward was born in Parke County, Indiana. September 21. 1848,
a son of John E. and Margaret (Mulhallen) Ward. The. parents were
married in Western Indiana, where the father was a blacksmith. Seven
children comprised the family, and three of them are now deceased.
When J. E. Ward was nine years of age the father died, and the family
was thus left without a head, and the children had to bear an important
share in the supporting activities. They had previously moved to Pervia
and from there went to Marshall County, Illinois, where the father died.
The family then moved out on the prairie thirteen miles east of Lacon,
Illinois, the county seat of Marshall County, and remained there until
1879. J. E. Ward began work there as soon as his strength permitted.