schools and after graduating from the Naper high school of Kilwinning
emigrated to the United States in 1881. He found employment in the
coal mines at Midway, Pennsylvania, and in 1882 engaged in mining
at Montgomery, West Virginia. Mr. Allardice came out to Trenton in
1883, and gave his experience to the Grundy County Coal Mining Com-
pany, which made him foreman in 1889, and in 1894 he was promoted
to superintendent, a position he held until the mines were worked out.
In 1905, when the Trenton Mining Company was organized, Mr. Allar-
dice became manager of the company, and began sinking shafts for
the development of a new mine. Under his supervision the company
developed a good producing property.
December 1, 1911, Mr. Allardice resigned from the company to become
inspector of fuel for the Rock Island Railway, a position he held one
year. In 1912, having left the railroad service, he came to Trenton and
organized the Allardice & Baker Coal Company, and since 1913 has been
engaged for himself in the coal, grain and hay business.
Politically he is a democrat. An active worker in the Presbyterian
Church, he is an elder and for ten years was superintendent of the
Sunday school. His fraternal associations are with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, and the Woodmen of the AVorld. He has a
large following Of stanch friends, and enjoys a fine business. Mr.
Allardice married Miss Minnie W. Myers, daughter of Michael and
Mary Myers, of Trenton. They have two children. Minnie lives at
home, and William A. married Miss Edna French, daughter of James
A. French of Trenton.
Samuel Rice. The residence of Samuel Rice in Gentry County
dates back to the year 1842, and since that time he has continued to
make his home here, at this time living retired at Bethany. At the
period of his arrival Albany was called Athens and contained a little log
courthouse and a few straggling log cabins; John B. Hundley was the
proprietor of a small store, but there was no doctor located here then
and Bethany seems to have furnished medical attention through its
doctor, although Dr. George Fallis, on Sampson Creek, also peddled pills
and "practiced physic" in this region.
Mr. Rice came to the Northwest Missouri country from Trimble
County, Kentucky. He walked the entire distance, a boy of less than
sixteen years, and came to his uncle, Martin Fallis, near New Castle,
after a journey that could have not been made much more rapidly on
horseback, for on many days he covered forty miles. The Mississippi
River he forded at Hannibal, and all that he brought along were the
clothes upon his back. Here he was a farm aid to his uncle until the
Mexican war came on, when he enlisted at Albany in Captain Denver's
company of the Twelfth Missouri Infantry. He began his military
career at St. Louis, where his regiment rendezvoused, following which
it passed down the river to New Orleans and there shipped to Vera
Cruz. General Scott had already occupied the city, and in a few days
the army advanced toward the City of Mexico. Mr. Rice participated
1588 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
in the battles of Cerro Gordo, Chapultepec and Contreras and saw the
city capitulate. Mr. Rice remembers that General Scott had one cannon
with him "that would shoot as far as the road was cut out," and when
he ordered his cannoneer to knock two holes in the walls surrounding
the city, he did so. There was a temple standing high above the other
buildings of the city, in which an immense bell was located, and which
seemed to hold Mexican officers watching the proceedings of the Ameri-
cans. General Scott ordered his big gun trained on this temple, but
before it could be discharged "as many white flags as a cat has hairs"
were raised, and the City of Mexico belonged to the American troops.
Mr. Rice's regiment returned by water, as it had gone out, he received
his honorable discharge at New Orleans, and he came back to St. Louis
and by boat to the landing on the Missouri River. After a year passed
in Gentry County, he made a trip across the plains to the Pacific coast.
It was in 1850 that Mr. Rice started as a teamster with six yoke of
oxen and a train of twenty loads of canvased hams for the miners of
the West. The caravan was six months on the road, went up the Platte
River, through Utah north of Salt Lake and down the Humboldt River
and arrived at Sacramento, where Mr. Rice left the wagons and struck
out for himself. He worked for a time at Hangtown in the mines and
with his earnings bought mules for packing his goods and started
north. He finally landed in Shasta Valley and there resumed mining,
digging out gold enough to buy a farm or two and set himself up in
business when he returned home. He had been absent four years when
he and his partner, Samuel Bell, who died in Harrison County, Mis-
souri, a few years back, returned to this state, the journey being made
by boat to the Isthmus of Panama and then on to New York and by
rail back to St. Louis. He carried his gold in belts around his body
and in New York it 'was exchanged for coin and brought home thus.
On his return from the coast Mr. Rice bought land in Harrison
County and engaged in farming, but soon disposed of this property and
bought another tract six miles east of Albany, where he spent the rest
of his active life and reared his family. In the substantial improvement
of his farm, he hauled his lumber from St. Joseph, and his business,
aside from growing grain, was the raising of cattle and hogs.
Mr. Rice lived in peaceable possession of his farm save during the
period of the Civil war. It was known that his sympathies were with
the South and he was annoyed by the Federal authorities more or less
on this account. Finally, to escape some persecution, he moved his
family to Iowa, where the draft was served upon him from Missouri and
he appeared before a corps of doctors for examination. He declared to
them that they could force him into the army, but that they could not
force him to shoot a man and the doctors then, after a consultation,
offered to let him off for $100. He "had the money in his breeches"
and handed it to them with the declaration "that he wouldn't have to
answer for that in the day of judgment," regarding the whole procedure
in the light of a graft.
The fact that Mr. Rice had failed to secure an education hampered
him much as a citizen. He never went to school a day in his life and
passed through his career without the ability to either read or write.
He trusted to the honesty of others largely and when he married took
a wife who had an education. He married, in November, 1854, Victoria
Duncan, a daughter of Frank Duncan, one of the first settlers of Gentry
County, and also a Kentuckian. Mrs. Rice lived until 1882 and was
the mother of these children : Laura, who died here ; Frank, of Oregon ;
John, of Kansas; Rojene, wife of M. S. Anslyn, of Albany; Patience,
who married William Hill, of Gentry County; Nancy, who married P. I.
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1589
Gibony, of Roswell, New Mexico ; Julia, who married George Dunlap, of
Harrison County, Missouri; Maggie, the wife of Alvin Whitten, of
Gentry County ; and Lucy, who married J. W. Hunter, of Kansas City.
Mr. Rice was married a second time to Mrs. Boyd, and had one son,
Dan, a resident of Pratt County, Kansas.
Mr. Rice was born in Trimble County, Kentucky, August 5, 1825, a
son of Daniel Rice, a farmer who was, perhaps, a native of that county.
His people were from Virginia. Daniel Rice married Susan Fallis, and
they had ten children who grew to maturity. The parents came to
Missouri about 1848 and their children subsequently moved to various
parts of Missouri and the West. Daniel and Susan Rice are buried at
Jones Chapel, in Harrison County. Samuel Rice has been a member of
the church since 1861, and has at all times endeavored to live up to its
George Keiffer. The Keiffer family has lived in Holt County since
before the war. Hard working farmers, public-spirited citizens, and
people who have taken hold of every enterprise with a vigor charac-
teristic of the name, they have long been identified usefully and worthily
with this section of Northwest Missouri.
George Keiffer was born in Mercer County, Missouri, October 25,
1815. His parents were Martin and Jane (Mullen) Keiffer, who were
married in the State of Missouri, the mother born in Cooper County,
Missouri, and the father in Rockingham County, Virginia. There were
ten children in the family, seven of whom reached maturity. Martin
Keiffer was a farmer and brought his family to Holt County in 1857,
settling on a farm about two miles southeast of Oregon. The father
bought eighty acres there, and its chief improvement was a two-room log
house. A large part of the land was covered with a heavy growth of
timber, and the Keiffer family cleared a large field, and left some of
the timber when they sold the farm in 1865. The next purchase was a
farm near the one owned now by George Keiffer in Hickory Township.
It was all wild land, and George Keiffer put the first plow into the soil
and was the first to turn over a furrow in land that had lain virgin to
the sun and wind for centuries. That land, comprising 160 acres, was
where the Lincoln Schoolhouse now stands. It had no buildings, and
all the improvements were erected by the father and son. Previous to
that time the father had bought 120 acres now owned by the widow
Jackson, but kept it only one year. The father also owned forty acres
of timber land. That was his home until the last year of his life, and
he died in Mound City. Having come to Northwest Missouri a poor
man, though possessed of a good education, by means of his hard labor
and thorough-going habits he acquired more than a competence. He and
his wife were devout Baptists, and his moral principles are indicated
by the fact that he never entered a saloon in all his years.
George Keiffer lived at home until his marriage in 1865, and after
that farmed on his father's place for a year, and then bought a farm
from Andrew Meyers. Since then, for more than forty years, his home
has been in one locality. He originally owned 160 acres, but has since
reduced that to eighty. In 1865 Mr. Keiffer married Elizabeth Beeler,
daughter of Israel and Mary (Darhl) Beeler. Her people were early
settlers in Holt County and were natives of Indiana. Mrs. Keiffer had
eleven brothers and sisters. Mr. and Mrs. Keiffer are the parents of
ten children, one of whom died in infancy, and the others are mentioned
as follows : Anna Belle, who first married Charles Beckner and second
Robert Clopton and became the mother of seven children; Rose, who
died at the age of fourteen; Elmer, who first married Bryna Connor,
1590 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
and had three children, and for his second wife married Nell Johnson ;
Marus, who married Stella Shafer, and has four children; Lew, who
married Dollie Clark, and has three living children and two deceased;
Laura May, who married Wilson Kaufman; Guy, who lives at home;
Inez, who married L. B. Hollenbeck, and has one son; Alma, who married
Arch Patterson, and has two children. All the children were born in
Holt County, and all in Hickory Township except two.
The Keiffer farm is one of the model places in Hickory Township, and
every improvement, the buildings, the plowed fields, the fences, are all
the direct result of Mr. Keiffer 's management and labors. The land
was only a pasture when he bought it, and he has gone ahead steadily in
its improvement and at the same time has prospered as one of the pro-
gressive farmers of this section. Mrs. Keiffer is a member of the
Christian Church, and he was brought up in that faith. He has served as
school director and road supervisor, and in politics is a republican, while
his father was a democrat.
Chkistopher Canaday was born in McLean County, Illinois, on
October 26, 1847. He is a son of William and Elizabeth Canaday, whose
biography appears in this volume.
He came to Missouri with his parents .in the year 1855 ; he attended
district school about four months of each year and worked on his father's
farm the balance of the time until he reached the age of twenty-two ; he
also attended a graded school at Leon, Iowa, for nine months, thus
finishing his school work ; however, his education did not stop, but really
only began, as he had a keen and .active mind and was capable of grasp-
ing opportunity and turning it into gold.
On July 3, 1870, he was united in matrimony to Miss Angelina
Brower. She was the daughter of James B. and Elizabeth (Bailiff)
Brower and was born in Jennings County, Ohio, on July 16, 1852.
Her father, James B. Brower, who traces his lineage back to Holland,
was born in Clermont County, Ohio, September 15, 1824.
In the year 1828, Mr. Brower moved with his father's family to
Jennings County, Indiana, on September 3, 1846 ; he was united in
marriage to Miss Elizabeth Bailiff, who was born in Ohio November 14,
1828. To this union ten children were born, viz. : Benjamin R., Leonora,
Angelina, Sylvania, James L., Charles H., Millard F., Ellis M., Mary
In the year 1854, James B. Brower moved with his family to Harrison
County, Missouri, and settled on a farm, where he helped to blaze the
way for his posterity in a new country. In 1856 he engaged in the
mercantile business in Eagleville, Missouri, under the firm name of
Brower & Gilkey and also helped to lay out what are now known as the
Brower and Gilkey surveys to the Town of Eagleville. In 1859 he quit
business and moved to a farm four miles northwest of Eagleville.
In 1863 he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-fifth Regiment, Missouri
Volunteer Infantry, and was first lieutenant of said company during his
entire service, commanding the company. He was mustered out on
July 10, 1865, never having had a furlough and never being wounded or
taken captive and he had the distinction of never having applied for a
pension, something very rare, indeed, among the soldiers of our Civil
Mr. Brower, who is so well known to all of our older citizens, was
a remarkable man for the times in which he lived, and stood for
temperance and right living. As a little side light into his character
as well as that of the early history of Eagleville, the following instance
is related : Mr. Brower did teaming with cattle between Eagleville and
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1591
St. Joseph, and the merchants would give him sealed orders to have
filled by the wholesale merchants at St. Joseph, and he would then bring
the goods ordered back with him. On one occasion when loading, a
barrel of whisky was rolled out ready to load. Mr. Brower objected
to taking it, saying that his cattle would not haul whisky. They in-
sisted that he should, saying that the order said they were out and
needed it. Mr. Brower said, ' ' They may want it, but they do not need
it." That settled the matter and the whisky was left in St. Joseph.
Mr. Brower was elected and served four years as county judge, from
1872 to 1876. He was then elected to represent the county in.the State
Legislature and was reelected in 1878, serving two terms.
To Christopher and Angelina Canaday were born four children and
their names appear in regular order, together with the names of de-
scendants born to the time of this history.
John T. Canaday, born April 21, 1871, married to Miss Eva Klopen-
stein July 23, 1891, their descendants being Ray V., Lavare J., and
Harvey P. Canaday, born August 15, 1872, married to Miss Nellie
Carlton September 15, 1895, their descendants being Pauline, Marguerite,
John, George, Togo and Marvin.
Mabel Canaday, born February 5, 1878, married to Charles Baldwin
June 19, 1900. Their descendants are Winifred, Susie and Gladstone.
Myrtle Canaday, born July 25, 1879, married to Pascal J. Richardson
October 24, 1897. Their descendants are Nellie T., Phil (deceased),
Ruby A., Hugh and Helen.
Returning to the history of Christopher Canaday, he has always
been interested in farming and stock raising, even though he did business
along other lines. For seven years after his marriage he followed this
business exclusively. In 1878 he engaged in the mercantile business in
Eagleville. Missouri, with R. H. Wren, with whom he remained in part-
nership for a year, then going back to the farm for a time. In 1896 he
again went into business, this time in Blythedale, Missouri, under the
firm name of Canaday & Son. He was also one of the charter members
of the Blythedale Savings Bank, which, to a large extent he financed.
In 1910 he helped to organize the Citizens Bank of Blythedale and was
its president for two years. He is a careful business man and has
amassed a considerable fortune.
Mr. Canaday is a democrat in politics and in religious belief his faith
is allied with that of the Christian Church, of which both he and his
wife are members; he is a total abstainer from intoxicants and has
never had a chew of tobacco or a pipe in his mouth. He has witnessed
the evolution of the ox cart into the automobile and flying machine and
drives a car of the latest make ; he has seen the hut or cabin of the early
settler give way to modern homes and the land which produced timber,
brush, wild grass and weeds bearing the golden sheaf of grain.
He has always been progressive, has lived a clean and honorable life
and holds the respect of the community in which he lives. He has also
traveled considerable, having made three trips to California and is at
present planning another and a visit to the exposition.
Mr. Canaday lives at Blythedale, Missouri, is still active in mind and
body and personally attends to his business, that of loaning private
His life, with that of his father's family, is intertwined with the
early history of Harrison County and it is fitting that his record be kept
in this volume.
1592 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
Uri Hallock. Although not a native of Missouri, Uri Hallock, one
of the early farmers of the Bethany locality of Harrison County, has
passed nearly a half a century here, having attached himself to the
community in 1867. He is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, born
August 2, 1810, and a son of John Wesley and Mary (Stone) Hallock.
The grandfather of Uri Hallock was Joseph D. Hallock, a native of
Vermont, who was brought up among humble surroundings and thus
was able to acquire only a meager education. At the outbreak of the
War of 1812 he enlisted for service in the American army, and for this
was granted at the close of the war a land grant, which he laid at
Centerville, Iowa, or that vicinity. There he passed away about the
close of the Civil war, aged eighty-four years, after a life spent in
agricultural pursuits. He married Susanna Birch.
John Wesley Hallock, the father of Uri Hallock, was born at Ver-
gennes, Addison County, Vermont, and was little more than a lad when
he accompanied his parents to near Columbus, Ohio, where he grew to
manhood. He acquired a fair education and adopted the vocation of
farming as his life work. In politics he was an ardent whig and his
religious faith was that of the Methodist Church, in which he served as
an exhorter and leader. When he first went to Iowa he was engaged in
teaching singing, but in later years devoted his entire attention to his
farming interests in Jefferson County, where he died in 1852, Mrs. Hai-
lock surviving for some time. Their children were as follows : Joseph,
who was a Missouri soldier of the Eighteenth Volunteer Infantry during
the Civil war and spent his last years at Leadville, Colorado, being the
father of a son ; Emily, who married Samuel McGill, spent much of her
life in Van Buren County, Iowa, and died at Norman, Oklahoma, where
her husband owned a claim ; Uri, of this notice ; Hymen, who died as a
member of the Seventh Iowa Infantry, during the Civil war, at St
Louis; and Irene, who became the wife of Jonathan Harris, and died at
Uri Hallock was nine years of age when he accompanied his parents
to Iowa, and near Centerville he grew to manhood, his youthful en-
vironment being that of the farm and his education coming' from the
district schools. He had barely begun life on his own account when
he responded to President Lincoln's call for 75,000 volunteers to defend
the Union, and he enlisted at Centerville, Iowa, in Company D, Sixth
Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, his captain being M. M. Waldon
and his colonel, McDowell. The regiment rendezvoused at Burlington,
Iowa, and was ordered to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, subsequently
taking part in the Springfield campaign after the engagement at Wilson
Creek, and spending the following winter at Sedalia. In the spring
of 1862 the Fifteenth Army Corps went to Shiloh to assist General
Grant, and Mr. Hallock took part in the battle at that place and was
taken prisoner by the enemy. He was sent to Montgomery, Alabama,
where he was confined for a short time, as well as at Griffin and Macon,
Georgia, and in the prison at Atlanta. At Macon he remained during
the summer and was finally exchanged, being sent, with about fifteen
hundred others, to Richmond, Virginia, and walking to the flag of truce
boat bound for Annapolis, Maryland. There he was turned over to the
Federal authorities and after about a month was sent to St. Louis.
At St. Louis the former prisoners were sent each to his own com-
mand, Mr. Hallock finding his regiment at Memphis, Tennessee. The
winter of 1862-3 the command spent at Grand Junction, Tennessee, and
the next spring went to the investment of Vicksburg where General
Sherman's troops kept Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's army from going to
the relief of Vicksburg. After the fall of the city the Fifteenth Corps
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1593
fought Johnston at Jackson, Mississippi, and then went back to Vicks-
burg and up the river to Memphis and across to Chattanooga, taking
part in the battle of Missionary Ridge. There Mr. Hallock was wounded
and left the regiment. He was hit with a musket ball in the right arm
and was in the hospital there and at Nashville until he became able to
go home, when he was paroled, staying home until the spring of 1861.
At that time he rejoined his regiment, then at Chattanooga, and started
with Sherman's command on the Atlanta campaign. He only accom-
panied his regiment a few days when it was discovered that lying on
the ground had set up inflammation in his injured ribs and he was
sent back to the hospital and when he rejoined his command it was on
the Chattahoochie River, July 16th. The next day his term of enlistment
expired and he was discharged and sent back to Davenport, Iowa.
Mr. Hallock then returned to his home, recuperated from his wound,
was married, and in 1867 came to Missouri. When he came here he was
without capital and accordingly moved to an eighty-acre tract of land
which was owned by his wife, in section 12, and which formed the
nucleus for his present home. He has done all the substantial improving
necessary to make a comfortable and attractive home and has been
identified with diversified farming all his life. For a time he was a
breeder of English Shire horses, which he carried on in a small way, and
this business is still being conducted in a modest manner by his sons.
Mr. Hallock 's home farm of 250 acres is located in section 7, township
63, range 7.
In politics Mr. Hallock has identified himself with the democratic
party and has served as justice of the peace of his township two years,
his locality being ordinarily a republican stronghold by the odds of
three to one. He has been in the Christian Church ever since coming to
the county, as a member of the Bethany congregation, and while he
resided in Bethany served as elder.
Mr. Hallock was married September 16, 1866, to Mrs. Electa A.
Dale, a daughter of Shubal and Rhoda A. (Withington) Fuller, she being
born at Beekmantown, Connecticut, where she was a school teacher.
Mr. Fuller was born in Ohio, a son of Isaac Fuller, of New York. Mrs.
Hallock 's first husband was Thomas J. Dale, who died of typhoid fever
in the Union army and left the following children : Shubal A., a
farmer of Harrison County ; Victoria A., the wife of John L. Foster, of
Ridgeway, Missouri; and Sarah E., the wife of B. 0. Coleman, of
Clinton, Oklahoma. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hallock have
been as follows : Hymen J., a farmer of Harrison County, married Dora
Frencham; Barton C, engaged in farming near his brother, married
Maggie Harrison ; John W., a farmer near his father, married Rose