has found his chief success as a stock raiser. He has an ideal farm for
cattle and hogs, with splendid natural windbreaks, an abundant supply
of water, and an equipment in buildings which it has been his pride to
keep thoroughly up to date and in line with the most advanced ideas of
farm and stock management. For a number of years he has been one
of the large feeders in that locality, and has shipped both to Chicago
and St. Joseph markets.
Politically a republican, Mr. Simpson cast his first presidential ballot
for James G. Blaine, and has never missed a presidential vote since.
He has held no office, except as a member of his home school board. On
September 27, 1893, in Worth County, Mr. Simpson married Miss Sarah
Angeline Strachan. Her father, William Strachan, a native .of Scotland,
was a veteran of the Civil war, having twice enlisted and beginning as
a private, was discharged at the end of the war as fife major. William
Strachan married Mary J. Hagans, a daughter of Mason Hagans, one
of the old settlers of Missouri. Mr. Strachan died August 28, 1893, and
his wife ten months later. Their children were : Nellie, wife of B. F.
Wall of Worth County; Mrs. Simpson; Stella J., who married Ralph
Moore of Jerome, Idaho; and Mrs. Dr. B. H. Miller of Blockton, Iowa.
While Mr. and Mrs. Simpson have no children of their own, Mr. Simpson
has a paternal pride in lys nephew, Silas T. Simpson, who has distin-
guished himself. After graduating from the State University in 1912,
owing to his splendid record in the agricultural department, was at once
assigned to a position as assistant professor of animal husbandry. At
his home farm Mr. Simpson has one of the beautiful country residences
which give character to the rural districts of Worth County, and it was
erected in 1900, and is surrounded by substantial barns and other build-
ings for stock and grain purposes. Mr. Simpson is a member of the
Cumberland Presbyterian Church, while his wife is identified with the
J. E. Gartside, M. D. The present efficient county recorder of Cald-
well County needs no introduction to the county's people. Doctor Gart-
side has lived in Caldwell County for thirty-one years, is one of the most
successful practitioners of medicine, and while there are hundreds of
people who place implicit faith in his ability as a physician, there is a
still wider range of his followers who esteem him for his ability and in-
fluence as a public leader. Doctor Gartside has for a number of years
been one of the leaders in the republican party of Caldwell County,
has acted as delegate in county, congressional, state and national con-
ventions, and was a delegate to the convention of 1908 at Chicago. He
was elected to his present office as county recorder in 1910, and has
1672 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
handled its affairs in a manner to justify the action of the people in
Doctor Gartside was born at 'Fallon, St. Clair County, Illinois,
June 22, 1860. His father, Job Gartside, who was a coal contractor en-
gaged in the development of coal mines, was a native of England, came to
America in his youth, and was in the midst of a successful business
career when called away for service in the Union army to defend the
integrity of his adopted country. He went South in Company D of
the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Infantry. His services in-
cluded duty during the siege of Vicksburg, at Champion Hill, Black
River Bridge, and his army career was terminated by ill health. He was
brought back to St. Louis and died from the results of his service as a
soldier in 1864. He was at that time in the prime of life. He left a
widow and an only son, Doctor Gartside. The mother of Doctor Gartside
was Alice D. Blackshaw, who was also born in England and is now living
in Montgomery County, Missouri.
Doctor Gartside was reared in Illinois, attended the public schools,
and was a student in the Jacksonville Business College at Jacksonville
and had as a classmate William Jennings Bryan. Doctor Gartside
graduated in medicine at the Physio-Medical College of Indianapolis in
1883, and since that year has practiced continuously with rising reputa-
tion in Caldwell County.
In 1883, the year he located for practice in this community, Doctor
Gartside married Ella F. Cadman, who was born in Mercer County,
Illinois, and educated in the public schools of Illinois and Missouri. They
are the parents of two sons and a daughter: Ralph E., who was educated
in the State University at Columbia, is now connected with the Drovers
National Bank in Kansas City; Harold H. is now getting started in
business in St. Louis; Gayle Hamilton, the daughter, was educated in
the Woman's College at Lexington, Missouri, and is now the wife of
Tinsley Brown, Jr. Doctor Gartside has membership in Lodge No. 118,
A. F. & A. M. ; in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belongs to
different medical societies, and whether as a physician or as a private
citizen is one of the most genial of men and has hosts of friends in
0. J. Adams. The achievement of such a position as 0. J. Adams has
attained in the legal circles of Caldwell County while still so young in
years is typical of American grit and the true western spirit of enterprise.
His only resource when he began active life was natural ability, but he
possessed immense will power, and has been able to make the most of
every opportunity which has arisen. Setting himself a high ideal, in a
practical, common sense way he has directed his every effort towards its
attainment, with the result that now in the strength and vigor of young
manhood he has achieved a most gratifying success in his profession and
is justly accounted one who will go far in his chosen line.
Mr. Adams was born at Macon, Missouri, August 26, 1888, and is a
son of D. E. and Louisa (Bush) Adams. His father, one of the prominent
and well-known attorneys of Hamilton, is known as one of the leaders of
the Caldwell County bar, is a graduate of the Missouri State University,
class of 1895, has been prosecuting attorney of Caldwell County for two
terms and has represented his county one term in the Legislature. He
married Louisa Bush, who was born here, a member of an old and honored
family of Caldwell County, and three children have been born to them :
0. J., of this review ; Bernard, who is an assistant instructor and student
of the Rolla School of Mines, at Rolla, Missouri ; and Leland, a student of
the public schools.
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1673
0. J. Adams grew up in Caldwell County and secured his early educa-
tion in the public and high schools, following which he decided upon a
career in the law and received a thorough preparation in the Missouri
State University, completing the course in June, 1912. This training was
largely gained through his own close study and close application, and he
successfully passed the examination of the State Board of Examiners.
He was admitted to the bar January 27, 1912, and in that year came to
Kingston, where he has since continued in the enjoyment of a constantly
increasing practice. Although Mr. Adams has been a general practitioner,
he has given much attention to abstract and title law, and in addition to
his professional duties carries on a successful abstract and title business,
proving himself as able a business man as he is a lawyer. He has not
ceased to be a student, and has at his command the large and valuable law
library of 800 volumes which was formerly the property of the late C. S.
McLaughlin, of Kingston. He is an able, well-read attorney, an eloquent
advocate, and a reliable counsellor. In his professional advice he is honor-
able and honest, consulting in every way possible the interests of his
clients, and is noted for the care and attention he devotes to every detail
of whatever business may be entrusted to him. For some time he has
been spoken of favorably for judicial position and in 1914 was a candidate
for the office of probate judge of Caldwell County, being defeated by a
Mr. Adams was married July 2, 1913, to Miss Otie M. Frazier, a lady
of excellent education and family, and daughter of the late Joseph Frazier
of Caldwell County. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are consistent members of the
Christian and Presbyterian churches, respectively. He is associated
fraternally with the Masons at Kingston and the Knights of Pythias at
Perry W. Hampton. Owner and editor of Hampton's Mercury at
Kingston, Perry W. Hampton is one of the successful newspaper men of
Northwest Missouri. To journalism he has brought talent which would
enable him to succeed in lines of business much more remunerative, and
during the last forty years has been through all the grades of service in
the fourth estate, from printer's devil to editor and proprietor. Mr.
Hampton is also one of the* foremost republicans of Northwest Missouri,
and for nineteen years held the office of postmaster at Kingston, having
been first appointed by McKinley and serving through his administration,
under Roosevelt and Taft until January 1, 1914, when relieved of office
by the present administration. Hampton's Mercury is an influential
journal in Caldwell County, and is probably as frequently quoted by the
other papers of the state for its editorial opinions as any other country
journal. Mr. Hampton was formerly engaged in the newspaper business
and founded the Mercury at Mirabile in Caldwell County, and in 1895
moved it to Kingston. The Mercury is independent republican in politics,
and follows the policy of treating all parties fairly. Its motto is "Home
first and the world afterwards."
Perry W. Hampton was born in the city of St. Joseph, Missouri,
February 1, 1856. His father was one of the pioneers of Northwest
Missouri. In the early days he was employed at St. Joseph by the
Studebakers, making wagons that were used in the overland freighting
business from the Missouri River west to Denver and Salt Lake. Later
for a time he was agent for the Studebaker Brothers at St. Joseph,
handling their line of wagons, carriages and supplies, and was a carriage
maker by trade. He later moved to Cameron, and remained one of the
highly respected men of that city until his death. He was born in Barron
County, Kentucky, of an old family of that state, and was eighty-four
1674 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
years of age at the time of his death. He located at Cameron in 1868.
His wife was of an old Virginia family, and also died at Cameron. There
were two sons and three daughters in the family.
Perry W. Hampton was two years of age when the family moved to
Cameron, was educated in the public schools there, learned the printing
trade as an office boy and all around worker, and it was as an expert in
handling type and a competent printer that he made his start toward
independent journalism. In 1884 Mr. Hampton moved to Lincoln,
Nebraska, and was engaged in business there five years, returned to
Cameron, and from there moved. to Mirabile in Caldwell County, and in
1895 established the Kingston Mercury, of which he is editor and
Mr. Hampton has always been a hard worker, knows his business
thoroughly, and his competence has been joined with a genial personality
that has brought him hosts of friends. He was married in Atchison,
Kansas, in 1886 to Sarah Taylor, daughter of A. S. Taylor of Cameron.
The Taylor family came from Missouri to New York State. Mr. Hampton
has a son, Chester, at Lincoln, Nebraska, and Paul, a schoolboy of fourteen
years of age. Mr. Hampton is affiliated with the lodge and Royal Arch
Chapter of Masonry and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
James Tait. The incumbent of the office of postmaster at Polo, Mis-
souri, since 1903, James Tait is one of the best known of Caldwell
County's old residents, and has had a long and honorable career in busi-
ness, in which he has won success through the possession of the qualities
of industry, honesty and integrity. He was born in Scotland, in 1829,
a member of a family noted for its sterling characteristics, and is a son
of James and Mary (Davis) Tait.
The parents of Mr. Tait, accompanied by their seven children, emi-
grated to the United States in 1840, and after a voyage of six weeks
on the sailing vessel Sardus, landed at New York. Subsequently they
removed to Syracuse, where they resided for three years and then went
to Waterdown, County Wentworth, Ontario, Canada. At Duart, Kent
County, the father built a mill for the manufacture of rakes, scythe
swathes and cradles. His death took place at St. Thomas, Ontario, at
the age of eighty-four years. James Tait received his education in the
schools of Ontario, and grew up with his father's milling business,
learning every detail thereof, and continuing to be connected with the
Canada mill for a long period of years. He came to Missouri in 1890,
when he located in Ray County, there building a mill at the town named
in his honor, Taitville. Later Mr. Tait came to Polo, where he also
built a mill and operated it with some success, then went to Mulhall,
Oklahoma. At the latter place he built a mill and established a busi-
ness which was conducted by his son, James Tait, Jr., but has since been
sold. In 1902, during President Roosevelt's administration, Mr. Tait
was appointed postmaster at Polo, and took charge of the duties of that
office in February of that year. Originally a fourth-class office, under
Mr. Tait's administration it has been advanced to third class, and now
has four rural delivery routes, covering a territory of twenty-seven miles
each. The present carriers are: E. L. Thomas, J. M. Clevenger, H. H.
Hauser and William F. Achenbach. Mr. Tait's record as postmaster is
an excellent one, and he has done much to improve the service. He is
careful, painstaking and accommodating, patient and' pleasant with those
who have business at the office, and is naturally very popular with his
fellow townspeople. A stalwart republican, he wields a distinct influence
in his community. A well-preserved man, both in body and mind, he con-
tinues to take an intelligent interest in all that affects the welfare of his
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1675
community, and no movement is considered complete that does not have
his name upon its list of supporters.
Mr. Tait was married at Chatham, Ontario, to Miss Mary A. Mc-
Intyre, a member of a Highland Scotch family, and four children have
been born to this union : James, Jr., of Blackwell, Oklahoma, who
holds a responsible position with a flouring mill company; Martin, of
Herrington, Kansas, a railroad man and train despatcher; Duncan M.,
connected with the State Department at Jefferson City, Missouri; and
Miss Nan Tait. .
Dr. R. L. Mount. Among the medical fraternity of Northwest Mis-
souri, Doctor Mount deserves a place of prominence on account of more
than twenty years of active practice, in which time he has devoted him-
self unselfishly and untiringly to the interests of a large patronage, both
in town and country. Doctor Mount is now located at Polo, but for a
number of years practiced at Mirabile.
Doctor Mount was born near Knoxville, Tennessee, July 21, 1867.
His father, J. Mount, was a Tennessee farmer, during the Civil war
saw active service in the Union army, and subsequently moved to North-
west Missouri and continued an active and successful career as a farmer.
He is now living at Braymer at the age of seventy-five. His wife's
maiden name was Ellen E. Thornburgh, also of an old Tennessee family,
a daughter of Samuel Thornburgh, who was of Scotch-Irish ancestry.
J. Mount and wife were the parents of three sons and five daughters.
The father in politics is a republican and a member of the Methodist
Church, and has long been affiliated with the Grand Army Post.
Doctor Mount was four years of age when the family came to
Northwest Missouri, grew up on a farm, developed his muscle by farm
labor, and after securing his education in the public schools and in the
Missouri Wesleyan College at Cameron, took up the study of medicine
with Doctor Leeper at Braymer, and in 1891 graduated with honors
from medical college. Doctor Mount practiced for eleven years at
Mirabile, among the people who had known him from childhood, and has
since enjoyed a large practice at Polo and vicinity. Doctor Mount is a
student, keeps up with the gdvances in his profession, and is easily in
the first rank of physicians and surgeons in Caldwell County.
Doctor Mount was married December 24, 1890, at Cowgill, Missouri,
to Mary Hudson, a daughter of G. Hudson, now deceased, who came
to Missouri from Indiana. Doctor Mount and wife have one son, Otto
C, who is now twenty-one years of age and a graduate of the high
school and a student in Columbia University. Doctor Mount is a
republican in politics, and both in his profession and as a citizen is one
of the popular men of Caldwell County. He has a modern home in
Polo, a nine-room residence, and also a well-equipped office.
Dr. F. H. Healy. Dr. Estelle D. Healy. In the practice of
osteopathy at Braymer, Dr. and Mrs. Healy, both of whom are graduates
of the Still School of Osteopathy at Kirksville, have enjoyed unusual
professional success, and have a large practice, both in the town and in
a large tract of country surrounding Braymer.
Dr. F. H. Healy was born at Britt, Hancock County, Iowa. His
father, E. P. Healy, who was born at Dayton, Ohio, lived for a time
at Milton, Wisconsin, and thence came to Britt, Iowa, and is one of the
prominent bankers of his state, being head of the Commercial State Bank
of Britt. E. P. Healy married Lillie E. Hoxie, and they are the
parents of two children, and the son, Walter H., lives in Duluth, Minne-
1676 HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI
sota. The father is a republican in politics, and a sterling business man
and influential citizen.
Doctor F. H. Healy grew up in his native town of Britt, was educated
in the public schools, finishing at the high school, was a student for a time
in Racine, Wisconsin, spent two years in the University of Chicago, and
was prepared for his profession by a thorough course lasting three years
in the Still School of Osteopathy at Kirksville. During his college days
Doctor Healy was noted in Missouri as a foot ball player, and played
the position of fullback on his team, and won premier honors in the
Missouri Valley Association.
Doctor Healy was married October 17, 1913, at New Hampton, Iowa,
to Estelle D. Powell. Mrs. Healy is a graduate with the class of 1914
from the Still School of Osteopathy at Kirksville, and has proved a
valuable assistant to her husband in their combined practice. Doctor
Healy is affiliated with the Masonic order, both he and his wife having
membership in the Eastern Star, and he has taken the Knight Templar
degrees in the York Rite and belongs to the Temple of the Mj^stic Shrine
at St. Joseph. He is also a member of the Theta Psi, and affiliates with
Lodge No. 464, B. P. 0. E.
Ira James. Assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Bray-
mer, Ira James has united with a capacity for commercial and financial
service a genial personality and a thorough public spirit, and having
applied his efforts to one line his concentration has placed him among
the leading young business men of Caldwell County. The position of
Mr. James in his community is further illustrated by the fact that in
1912 he was elected on the Citizens ticket mayor of his city, and since
taking office has performed his duties with an energy that has meant
much to this community in progressive improvements. Mr. James has
been identified with the First National Bank for the past eleven years,
and is one of the popular young bankers of Northwest Missouri.
Ira James was born at Dawn, in Livingston County, Missouri, April
9, 1881. His birthplace was a farm, where his father, J. J. James, is
still living. The mother's maiden name was Mary Jones, a daughter
of Robert Jones. She died in 1907. There were nine children, three
sons and six daughters. One son, J. J. James, lives in Kansas City, and
Will James is in the postal service.
Ira James was reared on a farm and a considerable part of his early
experience was the varied duties of farm life. His education came from
the country schools and from the Chillicothe Commercial College, and
before taking up his work as a banker he taught school a time. Mr.
James is careful and methodical, looks after his business at the bank
with scrupulous care and diligence, and in the last seven or eight years
has done much to build up the institution, in which he occupies an
In 1911 Mr. James married Catherine E. Herndon, daughter of
Joseph Herndon. Mr. James is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge, No.
135, and with Lodge No. 203 of the Knights of Pythias, and his wife is
a member of the Baptist Church. He has taken an active part for a
number of years in the affairs of the republican party in Caldwell
County, and is one of its spirited young leaders.
J. W. Wetzel. The rapid growth of the automobile interests of the
country in recent years has created an industry which has given a wide
field of opportunity and enterprise to many of the young men of the
present generation who have a predilection for mechanics, and J. W.
Wetzel of Braymer is one of those who has made the most of his oppor-
HISTORY OF NORTHWEST MISSOURI 1677
tunities along these lines. He is proprietor of the leading garage of the
town, and one of the best in its facilities and service in Northwest Mis-
souri. The garage occupies a substantial brick block, 50 by 60 feet,
with ample floor space and large quarters for fixtures and supplies.
The principal machine handled through Mr. Wetzel's agency is the
Buick, undoubtedly one of the best machines on the market at the present
time. The garage building was erected in 1913, and is an addition to
the business district of Braymer. Mr. Wetzel knows the automobile
business in all its details, is a natural mechanic, and having grown up
and spent all his life in this community, has made it his ambition to
serve the people with garage equipment and facilities equal to the best
found in metropolitan centers.
J. W. Wetzel was born on a farm near Braymer in Carroll County,
Missouri, a son of E. E. Wetzel. The father was a native of Germany,
came to America, and after living at Dawn a time, moved to Carroll
County, where he has been a successful and substantial farmer. E. E.
Wetzel married Rachel Baxter, who was born in Missouri. They became
the parents of six children, one son and five daughters.
J. AY. Wetzel grew up on a farm, where he developed his muscle and
got a hardy training for a broader career, was educated in the public
schools, and graduated from the Braynier public schools with the class
of 1906. He was in the hardware business for several years, and in that
line got the training which has served him so well in his present pro-
fession. Mr. Wetzel was married May 9, 1914. at Ludlow, Missouri, to
Ora Lane, who was born at Black Oak, Missouri, a daughter of Charles
Lane. Mr. Wetzel in politics is a republican.
George S. Dowell, M. D. With residence at Braymer since 1900,
Doctor Dowell has built up a substantial practice and is known as one
of the able, earnest and popular representatives of the medical pro-
fession in this section of Northwest Missouri. Partly to accommodate
his own private practice and partly as a public institution of the town,
Doctor Dowell has established a hospital at Braymer, has excellent
equipment and trained assistants, and through his individual skill and
these facilities has become one of the most successful physicians and
surgeons in Caldwell County. Doctor Dowell graduated from the
Kansas City College of Medicine in 1900, and at once began practice in
George S. Dowell was born in Livingston County, Missouri, on a farm,
March 23, 1876. His father, John H. Dowell, was a farmer and stock
man, a native of Meade County, Kentucky, and during the war between
the states served as a Confederate soldier in the splendid cavalry
organization commanded by Gen. Joe Wheeler. The father is still living,
a resident of Chillicothe, Missouri. He married Elizabeth Simpson, a
daughter of John Simpson, who came from Tennessee. She died in
Chillicothe, Missouri, in 1909, at the age of sixty-eight. She was an
active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In the family
were five sons and one daughter. The daughter is Lora Wingo of
Chillicothe, Missouri. Two of the other sons are physicians, Doctor
Robert, now living retired at Los Angeles. California, and H. S., a