Washington Gardner.

History of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) online

. (page 17 of 74)
Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 17 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1865. This is believed to be the first public Statement of Condition to
be made by any bank in Calhoun County.

First National Bank op Battle Creek

Statement of condition October 2, 1865: —

Notes and Bills Discounted $ 17,721.16

Overdrafts 3,057.43

Banking House $8,000.00

Furniture and Fixtures 2,084.13

Expenses 841.20 10,925,33 '

Premiums 1,834.29

Remittances and other Cash Items 1,846.04

Due from National Banks 28,281.72

Due from other Banks and Bankers 23,719.53

U. S. Bonds Deposited to Secure Circulation 45,000.00

U. S. 7-30 Treasury Notes 3,950.00

Circulating Notes of other National Banks 2,145.00

Circulating Notes of State Banks 63.00

Specie 119.54

Legal tender $5,015.00

U. S. 6 per cent Notes 5,180.00

Fractional Currency 372.84

U. S. Internal Revenue Stamps 281.00 10,848.84

.$149,511.88
Contra

Capital Stock paid in $80,000.00

Circulating Notes 30,000.00

Due Other Banks 62.23



HISTORY OP CALHOUN COUNTY 109



Exchange $ 123.38

Interest 505.21

Deposits 38,821.06



.$14!),511.8S



Present Offioer.s and Directors of the Old National Bank (1912) :—
Directors: Edwin C. Nichols, President, Pres. Nichols & Shepard
Co.; Charles Austin, Vice-President; Charles E. Kolb, Pres. Union
Steam Pump Co. ; S. J. Titus, Titus & Hicks ; Lew B. Anderson, Treas.
Ad. Pump & Coinp. Co.; A. B. Williams, Attorney -at-Law ; C. C.
Beach, Treas. Nichols & Shepard Co. ; John Ileyser, Supt. Union Steam
Pump Co.; H. J. Smith, Vice-President; L. J. Karcher, Cashier.

Statement of condition at close of business, September 4, 1912:

Resources

Loans and Discounts .^^2,374,370.58

U. S. and other Bonds 1,349.457.62

Securities 20,492.47

Cash and Due from other Banks 581,627.64



$4,325,948.31
Liabilities

Capital Stock $ 200,000.00

Surplus and Profits 143,159.08

Circulating Notes 200,000.00

U. S. Government Deposits 4,037.28

Other Deposits 3,778,751.95



14,325,948.31
The First National Bank of Marshalt,

was organized August 5, 1865, with Charles T. Gorham as President.
The following is a list of the officers and directors of this bank on this,
the 7th day of October, 1912: Charles E. Gorham, President; Frank
A. Stuart, Vice-President; Charles II. Billings, Cashier: Glenn E.
Grant, Assistant Cashier. Directors: Charles E. Gorham. Samuel F.
Dobbins, Charles II. Billings, George W. Leedle. Cliarlcs H. (iaiiss,
James L. Dobbins. Frank A. Stuart.

Report of condition at the dose of business. Sci.tciiilxT 4. 1912:—

Resoui-ces

Loans and Discounts $3117,27(1.51

Overdrafts, secured and unsecured 4.fi27.17

U. S. Bonds to secure circulation ]ll(i,(l()(i.(l(»



HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

Other Bonds to secure postal savings. ..$10,000.00 . $10,000.00

Bonds, Securities, etc -408,074.44

Banking house, furniture and fixtures 13,000.00

Due from National Banks (not reserve agents) .3,050.00

Due from State and Private Banks and Bankers,

Trust Companies and Savings Banks 5,153.36

Due from approved reserve agents 86,148.26

Checks and other Cash Items 3,169.00

Notes of other National Banks 1,385.00

Fractional Paper Currency, nickels and cents.... 130.05
Lawful money resei've in bank, viz;

Specie $46,045.50

Legal Tender Notes 500.00 46,545.50

Redemption fund with U. S. Treasurer (5 per cent

of circulation) 5,000.00



$993,553.29
Liabilities

Capital Stock paid in $100,000.00

Surplus fund 25,000.00

Undivided profits, less expenses and taxes paid. . . . 43,454.27

National Bank Notes outstanding 100,000.00

Individual Deposits subject to cheek 628,301.38

Demand Certificates of Deposit 95,599.14

Postal Savings Deposits 1,198.50

$993,553.29

The Central National Bank op Battle Creek

This bank commenced business with a capital stock of $200,000.00,
on the 21st day of November, 1903. The following is a list of its present
officers and directors with the exception of Mr. L. W. Robinson, who died
August 21, 1912: Edward C. Hinman, President; Frank Wolfe, Vice-
President ; Carroll L. Post, Vice-President ; Howard B. Sherman, Vice-
President ; Frank G. Evans, Cashier ; William W. Smith, Assistant
Cashier; E. D. Albertson, Assistant Cashier; David Miller, Auditor.

Directors: C. W. Post, Chairman Postum Cereal Co., Ltd.; Edward
C. Hinman, Pres. American Steam Pump Co. ; H. B. Sherman, Pres. H.
B. Sherman Mfg. Co. : L. W. Robinson, Dry Goods ilerchant ; Carroll L.
Post, Viee-Chairman Postum Cereal Co., Ltd. ; H. P. Stewart, Attorney,
of Stewart & Sabin; Leopold Werstein, Vice-Pres. American Steam
Pump Co. ; G. L. Gilkey, Capitalist, Kalamazoo ; Frank Wolf, Vice-
President ; Prank G. Evans, Cashier.



HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY 111

Coudenst'd repoi't. SepteinhiT 4, 1912: —

Resources

Loans aud Bonds )i;:j.S81,!J!)L()6

Banking House, Furniture and Fixtures 19, 785. '25

Cash and Due from Banks 633,843.55

U. S. Treasury Account 15,000.00

$4,550,619.86
Liatiilities

Capital $ 300,000.00

Surplus and Profits 164,916.83

Circulating Notes 300,000.00

Deposits 3,785,703.03

$4,550,619.86

The City Bank of Battle Creek

This bank was organized in 1871 with a capital stock of .$50,000.00.
The original incorporators were: Richmond Kingman, Alonzo Noble,
Benjamin F. Graves, Victory P. Collier, John F. iMoulton, Nelson Eldred,
Elijah W. Pendill, Clement Wakelee, Henry J. Champion and Roldon
P. Kingman.

The following constitute its Board of Directors in 1912: F. A. All-
wardt, H. F. Bechnuiu, S. B. Cole, L. A. Dudley, Charles C. Green, N.
E. Hubbard, Frank J. Kellogg, M. :Maas, George W. Mecham and E. R.
^lorton.

Officers: Charles C. Green, President; E. R. ^lorton, Vice-President
and Cashier; F. A. Allwardt, Second Vice-President; N. E. Hubbard,
Third Vice-President; N. Y. Green, Assistant Cashier.

Condensed statement at the close of business, September 4, 1912 : —

Resources

Loans and Mortgages $1,468,963.05

Overdrafts 604.24

Real Estate, Furniture and P'ixtures 35,044.30

Items in Transit 203.69

Cash on Hand and in Banks 400,205.70

$1,905,020.98
Liabilities

Capital $ 100,000.00

Surplus, Undivided Profits 37,620.73

Deposits 1.767.400.25

$1,905.1)2(1.98



112 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

Merchants Savings Bank of Battle Creek

was incorporated March 28, 1895, with a capital stock of $50,000.00.

The first officers of the bank were : Prank Turner, President ; A. M.
Minty, Vice-President; Scott Field, Cashier. The directors were: A.
M. Minty, Frank Turner, P. Hofifniaster, I. Amberg and Scott Field.

The following is a list of the officers and directors at the present
time: A. M. Minty, President; Prank Turner, Vice-President; H. A.
Rowles, Cashier. Directors: A. M. Minty, Frank Turner, A. O. Jones,
R. P. Hoffmaster, F. H. Boos, M. Lafever, H. A. Rowles.

The last statement of the condition of the bank shows a capital stock
of $50,000.00 and a surplus of .$55,000.00, as follows :

Condensed report of condition at the close of business, September 4,
1912 :—

Resources

Loans and Mortgages $1,316,945.97

Cash on Hand and in Banks 283,162.23

Banking House, Furniture and Fixtures 27,325.00



$1,627,433.20
Lialulitics

Capital Stock $ 50,000.00

Surplus and Undivided Profits 55,823.49

Deposits 1,521,609.71

$1,627,433.20
The Commercial and Savings Bank of Albion

This bank was organized on the 30th day of September, 1893, with
a capital stock of $35,000.00. Its present, 1912, officers and directors
are as follows : Homer C. Blair, President ; W. C. Marsh, Vice-President :
Charles G. Bigelow, Cashier ; Charles S. Loud, Assistant Cashier.

Directors: Samuel Dickie, Washington Gardner, Homer C. Blair.
Edward R. Loud, L. J. Wolcott, W. C. ilarsh, Benjamin D. Brown.
Charles G. Bigelow. There is one vacancy.

The following report shows the condition of this bank on the 4th
day of September, 1912 :

Report of condition at the close of business, September 4, 1912 : —

Resources

Loans and Discounts, viz:

Commercial Department $177,078.46

Savings Department 20,350.00 $197,428.46



HISTORY OP CALHOUN COUNTY 113

Bonds, Mortgages and Securities, viz :

Commercial Department ^ 12,0l)U.0()

Savings Department 171.1'21.27 .-H83,121.27

Premium Account $ (iOO.OO

Overdrafts l,42(i.7()

Banking House 5,40().0()

Furniture and Fixtures 2,150.U0

Other Real Estate 3,210.00

Items in transit 9.216.03

Reserve

Commercial Savings
Due from banks in

reserve cities $ 9,982.05 $22,536.55

Exchanges for clearing

house 2,933.35

U. S. and National

bank currency 8,100.00 11,000.00

Gold Coin 230.00

Silver Coin 2,744.35 268.00

J^ickels and cents 498.63 27

$24,488.38 $33,804.82 58,293.20
Checks and other Cash Items 157.92

$461,003.58

Liabilities

Capital Stock paid in $ 35,000.00

Surplus Fund 16,000.00

Undivided Profits, net 5,550.61

Commercial deposits subject to check. .$143,798.51
Commercial Certificates of Deposit. . . 32,878.37

State Monies on Deposit 2,500.00

Savings Deposits (book aects.) 225,276.09 404,452.97

$461,003.58

The Albion St.vte Bank

was organized :\Iarch 29, 1895, with a capital stock of $50,000.00. Its
present officers and directors are: Eugene P. Robertson, President;
W. S. Kessler, Vice-President; Seth Hyney, Cashier; T. N. Brockway,
Assistant Cashier.

Directors: O. A. Leonard, S. Y. Hill, W. H. Rodenbach, G. W.
Schneider, George T. Bullen, D. :\r. McAuliffe, W. S. Kessler, D. A.
Garfield, Eugene P. Robertson.

Vol. 1—8



114 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

Report of condition at the close of business, September 4, 1912 : —
Resources
Loans and Discounts, viz:

Commercial Department $160,863.08

Savings Department 26,200.00

Bonds, Mortgages and Securities, viz:

Commercial Department 20,000.00

Savings Department 170,886.35

Premium Account 402.50

Overdrafts 3,795.88

Furniture and Fixtures 1,500.00

Items in transit 1,081.29

Reserve

Commercial Savings
Due from banks in reserve

cities $15,582.64 $16,597.08

Exchanges for

clearing house 3,398.'29

U. S. and National

Bank Currency 6,307.00 6,000.00

Gold Com 910.00 9,000.00

Silver coin 2,174.05

Nickels and cents 185.73

28,557.71 $31,597.08 $ 60,154.79

$444,883.89
Liabilities

Capital Stock paid in $ 50,000.00

Surplus Fund 10,000.00

Undivided Profits net 13,855.42

Dividends Unpaid 50.00

Commercial deposits subject to check $101,197.59
Commercial Certificates of Deposit . . 41,353.80
Savings Deposits (book accts.) 228,427.08 370,978.47

$444,883.89
The First State Bank op Tekonsha

This bank was established -as a private bank in 1877, by Allen &
Johnson, and incorporated as a State Bank, March 20, 1902, under the
name of First State Bank.



HISTORY OF CALIIOUX COUNTY 115

The followiug is a list of the present ofBcers and directors: E. P.
Keep, President : R. E .Waldo, Vice-President ; B. G. Doolittle, Cashier ;
F. D. Rice, Assistant Cashier.

Directors: E. P. Keep, R. E. Waldo, H. N. Randall, E. W. Randall,
Ed. Dean, James Proctor, B. G. Doolittle.

Report of the condition at the close of business, Sept. 4, 1912.

Resources

Loans and Discounts, viz :

Commercial Department $ 84,769.31

Bonds Mortgages and Securities, viz :

Commercial Department 8,806.75

Savings Department 31,839.02 ,

$125,415.08

Overdrafts 2.30

Other Real Estate 2,500.00

Due from other Banks and Bankers 1,000.00

Reserve

Commercial Savings
Due from Banks in

resei-ve cities $19,596.01 $4,000.00

Exchange for

clearing house 463.73

U. S. and National

Bank Currency 5.876.00 1.000.00

Gold Coin 270.00 1,000.00

Silver Coin 1,057.85 167.00

Nickels and cents 81.85 .96

$27,345.44 $6,167.96 $33,513.40
Checks and otlier Cash Items 138.82

$162,569.60

Liablities

Capital stock paid in $30,000.00

Surplus Fund 4,250.00

Undivided Profits, net 909.77

Commercial Deposits subject to check. .$36,969.82
Commercial Certificates of Deposit .... 52,433.03

Savings Deposit, (book accts) 20.670.74

Savings Certificates of Deposit 17.:!:i(;,24 127,409.83

$162,596.60



116 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

Athens State Bank

In January, 1911, the Farmers State Bank and the Athens State and
Savings Bank, both of the village of Athens, merged their interests,
since which time the consolidated bank has been doing business as the
Athens State Bank. At the present time, October, 1912, its capital is
$30,000.00, and surplus $6,000.00, with total assets over $160,000.00.

Officers : Frank G. Woodruff, President ; George W. Brokaw, Vice-
President; Fi-ank E. Estes, Cashier.

Directors: Abram L. Wood, John A. Stanton, Frank G. Woodruff,
George W. Brokaw, Fred A. Bower, F. E. Estes, Earle D. Albertson,
Lauren T. ]\Iorris, Frank AVolf, S. W. Lehr.



CHAPTER IX

HISTORY OF ALBION COLLEGE *

Albion College (by Delos Fall) — (I) Its Early History — (II) Its
Early History Contini-ed — (III) Early History, Third Period —
(IV) The Past Thirty-Five Years — Ideal Character of the
College — ( V) Products.

By Delos Fall

(I.)— Its Early History.

The Year Book of Albion College has kept the following or a similar
paragraph at the head of its general statement for a good many years,
an emphatic reminder to all ilethodists of a most important and far
reaching fact : "In the year 1833, certain prominent residents of the
territory of Michigan, Rev. Henry Colclazer, Rev. Elijah IT. Pilcher and
Benjamin H. Packard, I\I. D., resolved to inaugurate a movement for the
establishment of an academy of higher learning in Jliehigan."

This sentence of thirty words does not in itself seem to carry great
significance, but to the thoughtful reader, to one wlio habitually reads be-
tween the lines, there can be seen the great and enduring monument of
these three men, a monument higher and grander than could possibly
by suggested by costly marble or granite erected in sonic city of the dead.
In this monument are involved all the good inlluciiccs (■\(it( il li\- Alliiim

College through all its history of now nearly seventy years. Il tains

the fruitage of all the lives that have been educated here, all the incen-
tives for higher and more forceful living wliich have entered into the
activities of all who have in any way been connected with the institution,
founders, trustees, agents, faculty, patrons, parents, students, the
church and the state. This thought cannot be further elaborated, but
let the reader .spend a moment of reflection concerning the weighty
content of the statement.

This monument is an enduring one ; it can never lie destroyed and will
remain through all the coming years. The key to this suggestion is
found in the word "resolved:" "these men resolved to inaugurate a
movement." Back of the resolution was an inspiration. Whence the
inspiration? The answer is plain. These Christian men were inspired
of God to thus plan to supply the church with the necessary factor of
education without which it would be impotent to fulfill its great mission.

* We are gratifiefl to present a somewhat extended sketch of Albion College, the
only institution of collegiate grade in the County. The character and extent of
■work done in the past, its present condition and its possibilities in the future .iustify
space given. Prof. Delos Fall, author of the article, is well qualified to prepare it.
For more than a third of century, he has helil an important chair in the Faculty of

117



118 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

Furthermore, let no one insinuate that Albion College will ever do
anything but make persistent and constant progress to an ever increasing
sphere of influence. The college can not retrograde, it can not stand
still for the reason that in the original instance it was divinely inspired.
Resolutions were submitted by these men to the Ohio annual con-
ference, which body then had jurisdiction over this territory. The sub-
■ ject was favorably considered, and a committee was appointed to further
the project. An act of incorporation was obtained from the legislative
branch of the territorial government, dated March 23, 1835, by which
a school under the name "Spring Arbor Seminary" was located in the
village of Spring Arbor, Jackson County, on the site of an old Indian
village.




Prof. Delos P.vll

For sometime nothing further was done. No buildings were ever
erected at this place and the school was never opened; the conditions
were discouraging and some of its friends were ready to abandon the
enterprise. It should lie i-eniembered, however, that this was before
Michigan became a state, licl'div the appointment of the first state super-
intendent of public intriutii)ii and liefore there was any formal organiza-
tion of a school system. It must Ite considered that all movements having
as their end the building up of the kingdom of God on the earth proceed
slowly and especially in the time of their initial history.

In spite of a common traditicm to the contrary, Methodism has always
attached very great imi)oi-(,iii(c \n education and has ever been in the
van of progress in the fsiaiilisliimiit of schools of learning. Born in a
college, she could not do otliciwi.sc.

the Institution and he is thoroughly familiar, not only with its history, but its spirit
and ainis. He has known personally, nearly all the instructors and others of whom
he makes mention. Besides being an erudite scholar, successful teacher and writer



HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY 119

In the meantime the young and growing village of Albion,
through some of its most enterprising citizens, made a proposition for the
removal of the school to that place. This received the endorsement of
the ilichigan annual conference, which had been formed by division of
the Ohio conference, and the state legislature, in 1839, amended the
charter, giving it the corporate name of Wesleyan Seminary, making
the proposed change of location, and reconstructing the board of trustees.

In the autumn of 1S39, Rev. Loring Grant, who had been a prominent
minister in western New York, was appointed agent and entered upon
the difficult task of raising funds for the erection of a seminary building.
A system of scholarships was adopted which gave the holder four years '
tuition in the school on payment of one hundred dollars. This gave
money for the building but nothing for payment of salaries of teachers.

The corner-stone of the tirst building was laid in June 1841, which
was completed in time for the opening of the school in November, 1843.
It was a plain structure 50x100 feet and four stories high, made of brick
and stuccoed to represent stone. Rev. Charles F. Stockwell, A. M., a
graduate of iliddletown university, was appointed principal, who, with
an earnest corps of teachers, entered upon the work of instruction. Stu-
dents in large numbers flocked to the school and much educational
enthusiasm was awakened in the church. The patronage was not con-
fined to the Methodist church, but was general. During this period
several young men prepared for college who subsequently reached
places of high distinction.

It is not a difficult task to read and interpret the underlying thought
of these founders of Albion. They saw that such a school would inevit-
ably become the center and nucleus for the production of denominational
enthusiasm; here would be gathered into a focus the intiuence of the
church, and here could be gained the interest and power to render
efficient aid in extending church enterprises. It is the glory of Albion
College that it has always strongly supported missionary and evangelistic
movements.

At the same time, while it insisted that fundamental and essential
Christianity was a vital factor in higher education, and that there must
be free opportunity for Christian culture in the life of the college stu-
dent, it never could he said that the college was open to the charge of
sectarianism in any sense!

Albion was and remains earnestly and aggressively Chi-istian, but
not narrow or sectarian. Its government and spirit are religious but
it imposes no sectarian tests. It was founded by the church ; it is under
the control of the church; the majority of the board of trustees are ap-
pointed by the Detroit and ^liehigan conferences; the trustees are re-
quired to make an annual report to these conferences of the condition,
needs and work of the institution ; the conferences appoint visitors to
the college who are required to report to the appointing bodies the re-
sult of their inspection.

Albion is a school of liberal arts and not a theological school. The
Bible is studied in the Hebrew, tlie Greek and the English, but there are
no theological tests and no religious exactions beyond regular attendance

of repute, he has been a man of affairs among men. He was long a member of the
City Board of Education ; alderman in the City Council ; twelve years a member of
the State Board of Health ; four years State Superintendent of Public Instruction,



120 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUiMTY

upon chapel exercises each school day and at church on the Sabbath,
giving the students their choice of place of worship.

Albion is not a theological school, and yet every graduating class
contains a considerable number of young men who have heard the call
and have consecrated themselves to the work of the ministry. This
course on their pax't is in exact harmony with the advice of the bishops
who say that as between a full four years ' college course and a shortened
college course supplemented by one in a theological school, the former
is very much to be preferred.

In addition to those who are preparing for the regular ministry there
is maintained a students' volunteer missionary band consisting of a large
number of 3'oung men and women who are preparing themselves for
the foreign missionary work.

Thus it is true to-day, as in the past, that a very large number of
the pulpits in Slichigan are filled by men who have been trained in Al-
bion College, and thereby is demonstrated the fact that the school is




the strong right arm of the church, making its influence felt in every
charge and placing every member of the Methodist church under un-
deniable obligations to aid in giving it adequate support.

(II.) — Its Early History Continued.

A second period in the development of the school at Albion began in
18-19 when by an act of the legislature the charter was amended creating
a female college under the corporate name of "Wesleyan Seminary and
Female Collegiate Institute," and authorizing the school to confer de-
grees only upon women. This action was somewhat anomalous, and re-
versed the traditional method employed, which almost universally con-
sisted in providing for the higher education of young men, leaving the
young women out of the account. In other words, co-education, the
education of both sexes in one institution, has come into existence
thi'ough long discussion with old prejudices and theories of education.
In the present case the boys might be members of the college classes, but
they could not graduate with a degree.

a member ami Secretary of the State Board of Education; a member of the Conven-
tion that framed our present State Constitution and in that convention -was chairman
of the Committee on Education and Educational Institutions.



HISTORY OF CALIIOrX COITNTY 121

The course of study was exteuded and made inoi-e regular, requiring
work up to about the close of the sophomore year in our best colleges for
young men. The educational demands were thought to be of a higher
standard than in the female colleges in other states at that time. The
appliances for instruction were considerabl.y increased, especially in
chemistry and physics.

The institution continued under tins chai'ter for eleven years, from
1850 to 1861. During this time the degree of JI. A. S. was conferred
upon 117 young women. Let the reader pause here and interpret the
letters designating this degree. He will look in vain in the list of ali-
breviations in the unabridged dictionaries of our time. It is sujiposed,
of course, that the worthy women who received this degree can readily
translate it, "^Mistress of the Arts and Sciences." ilany of these women
became quiet prominent in public work, and some are to-day occupying
distinguished positions.

A second building of about the same dimensions as the first was
erected in 1852. This was burned to the ground in the autumn of 1853,
and was rebuilt the ne.xt year, although somewhat reduced in size.

The board of trustees of the female college might have been com-
posed of women, but it was not. Rev. A. M. Fitch was president; Ed-
ward JlcClure, first vice-president ; C. ^l. Cobb, secretary ; Joseph
French, treasurer; the other members being G. L. Foster, E. H. Pilcher,



Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 17 of 74)