Washington Gardner.

History of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) online

. (page 33 of 74)
Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 33 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pany, Marshall News and Evening Chornicle are also industries of Mar-
shall, as is the J. E. White Publishing Company, authors printers and
publishers.

In the winter of 1881-1882 Messrs. Edgar H. Grant and Samuel F.
Dobbins entered into a co-partnei-ship for the manufacture and installa-
tion of warm air furnaces, which was afterward called the Marshall
Furnace Company, and in the year 1889 the partnership was dissolved




^Marshall Fl'unace Company



and JMr. Grant and Wm. E. Bosley commenced the manufacture of fold-
ing bath tubs. They did a thriving business for several years and in
1909 the business was incorporated into the Peerless Fixture Company,
manufacturers of bath tubs, store and counting room fixtures, located
on the west side of South Kalamazoo avenue, and is today one of Mar-
shall's most sul)stantial industries employing on an average of forty
men. Wm. E. Bosley, president; Royal F. Grant, secretary and
treasurer.

31r. S. F. Dobibns took up the furnace business from the year 1889.
gradually increasing the same until the year 1908 and during this period
occupied a part of the Geo. A. Bullard shop and afterwards (1895) a
factory located at the .iunction of P^xchange and ]\Iarshall avenue,
which was formerly occupied by Julius Engleman and John Adams. In
June, 1908, this business was incorporated with $100,000 capitalization
and in 1910 increased to $150,000 and in January, 1912, moved into its
new hrick and steel constructed plant located on west Hanover street.



252



HISTORY OF CAI.IlOrX COIXTY



This is one of Marshall's largest and most substantial industries, oc-
cupying the finest exclusive furnace factory building in the world :ird
employing from one hundred to one hundred and forty men. Samuel F.
Dobbins, president and general manager; Clias. W. Dobbins, vice-presi-
dent and manager of sales; Claude S. Stout, secretary and publicity;
Herbert J. Ward, manager of installation ; Gage II. i5obbiiis, superin-
tendent.

The city of ^Marshall has owned for several years its electric light
and water power plant. The electric light plant cost about $50,000 and
uses 450 H. P. in its operation. It is operating 150 arc street lights, of
2000 candle power, a number of arc lights for mercantile purposes and
several thousand incandescent lights for business and residence lighting.




rilE IMoDERX W.VV OF TllKE.SlIliNG



The water power plant, which cost about $50,000, is also operated
by the water power which runs both plants, supplying over 120 fire
hydrants and furnishes its citizens with water for private consumption
at the lowest rates.

This same water power was formerly used by H. J. Perrin and
others to run their industries in Perrinville, and it was greatly im-
proved when the city of Marshall took it over for municipal purposes.

The Calhoun County Agricultur.vl Society.



Co)ttributed

The Calhoun County Agricultural Society was organized in 1858 un-
der an act of the state legislature to authorize the formation of county
and town agricultural societies for the encouragement and advancement
of agricultural, horticultural, nianufacturer.s' and mechanics' arts.



HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY .253

The charter members of the society were : S. P. Wormley, M. H.
Moulthrop, Tracy M. Southworth, Milo Soule, E. C. JMauchester, II. A.
Tillotsou, Johu Houston, C. D. Holmes, E. II. Lawrence, Bradford
Arthur and C. P. Dibble.

Annual exhibitions have been given b.y the society on the fair grounds
in ilarshall each year and eacli succicdiiig show has proven an improve-
ment and enlargement over tlir pivicdiiii;- one. In this year of 1912, the
society, after an experience of ups and downs covering a period of sixty-
four years, rates among the staunch county fair associations of the Wol-
verine state and the attendance each year is growing in volume and the
receipts increasing correspondingly.

The Calhoun Count}- Fair is among the best known in the country;
its scope being very broad, competition having been thrown open to the
world in 1908, it having been determined at that time that a fair, in
order to advance with the times, must not confine its efforts to a single
county or locality.

Not only does the soiicty conduct a veiy fine agricnltui'al exhibit
each year, but harness races of a high oi'der are given over one of the
best half-mile speedways in the United States.

The present officers of the society are : B. K. Bentley, jDresident ; R. S.
Scott, secretary; E. E. Simn\ons, treasurer.



CHAPTER XVI

MUNICIPAL AND PROFESSIONAL

Marshall as a Municipality (by Craig C. Miller) — Water System — ■
Description and Valuation of Plant — Electric Lighting and
Power Plant — Description and Valuation op Plant — Sewerage
System — Electric Railroad — Paving and Roads — Hospit.\l and
Library — The Marshall Postofpice (by William H. Arthur) —
Marshall Public Schools (by Gertrude B. Smith) — The Press
OF Marshall (by J. M. Moses) — Lawyers op JIarshall, Past and
Present (by Hon. Herbert E. Winsor).

]\Iarshall as a Municipality.

By Craig C. Miller.

The iiuuiii-ipal development of Marshall has been gradual and sus-
tained. From its hirth as an organized community by the incorporation
of the village October 28, 18;}7, to its elevation to the position of a place
among the cities of Michigan February 25, 1859, by special act of the
legislature approved February 14, 1859, its career was one of steady
progress and the position as one of tlie important centers of activity of
the state was gained in a marked degree.

The high development attained by the village and its inhabitants
at the date of the merger into a city is well shown by the progressive
tone of the inaugural address delivered by Hon. Charles P. Dibble, the
first mayor. In it he calls attention to the importance of a systematic,
efficient and economical conduct of civic affairs and lays much stress
upon the importance of proper roads and streets. He says: "It has
been said that the roads of a country and the streets of a city are accurate
tests of the degree of its civilization and that cities and towns, where
dense population and manufacturing industry make them the best mar-
kets for farming products, are enabled to extend themselves indefinitely
by roads alone, which supply the place of rivers." In this address he
also calls attention to the necessity for a proper water supply and ex-
presses himself as much impressed with the responsibility of the office
to which he has had the honor to be elected.

From the date of its incorporation as a city to the present time
Mai'shall has steadily gained in the advarjtages and public benefits
that it offers to its inhabitants, and although not a city of large popula-

254



HISTORY OF ("Al.IIorX COINTV 1^55

tiou, takes just pride iu the degree of development it has attained along
public service lines, and offers an example of municipal ownership of
public utilities that may be studied with protit by its sister cities.

Marshall at an early period was connected with the outside world
by excellent stage routes that later gave place to the more modern
railroad, and is now in the favored position of being located upon the
trunk line of the Michigan Central Railroad, and also upon a branch of
the same railroad extending from Allegan and making trunkline con-
nections at Toledo, in the state of Ohio. It is also located upon one of
the best equipped electric railroads in the state that gives its patrons
excellent service both east and west.

W.\TER System

In 1856 the village council negotiated for a water supply, either by
logs or pipes, but nothing came of the pi^oposed system.

In 185!) the matter was again urged by Mayor Dibble as has been
noted and in 1860 experimeuts were made on artesian wells. However,
nothing was accomplished until 1872 when a system of wells was estab-
lished, thirty-three in number, located iu various parts of the city, from
which water was procured for fire protection.

Nothing, however, was done towards a water supply until 1888, when
the present system was inaugurated by private capital ; a pumping sta-
tion being erected, the Avater forced into a standpipe from whence it
found its way through mains to the various parts of the city.

In August, 1894, the company failed and was placed in the hands
of a receiver. In 1898 the entire plant was acquired by the city and is
now operated in an efficient manner as a municipal plant.

The water is procured from flowing wells and is of excellent quality,
furnishing the city with an inexhaustible supply of pure water for all
purposes. ]\Iains are being extended a.s demands retiuire.

The water works system of ^Marshall, together with the electric light-
ing and power plant, is managed by three commissioners appointed by
the mayor; they are termed "The Board of Commissioners of the Electric
Lighting and Water Works Department," and have full charge of the
conduct of the same. The.y employ a superintendent who has immediate
charge of both systems to which he devotes his entire time.

The annual report of the connuissioii under date of April 8, 1912,
covering a period of one year, from April 1, 1911, to April 1, 1912, as far
as it appertains to the water works system, is worthy of study, and the
essential features of the same are here given, and will prove of interest
to all interested iu the subject.

Descru'tion and A'aluatiox op Plant, April 1, 1911.

Assets.

City treasurer— bank $2,391.14

Customers ledger 531.65

Hydrants— 104— standard two nozzle 2,496.50



256 HISTORY OF CALIIOtLX COUNTY

Machinery — 2 Worthington steam pumps, 1,000,-

000 gals, capacity in 24 hours each; 1 Deane

power pump, 1,700,000 gals, capacity in 24

hours; 1 100 h. p. Induction motor $ 7,500.00

Mains— 12 miles, ranging from 12-in. to 2 ft 32,238.18

Meters— installed, owned by city 353.70

Pumping station building, including outbuildings 10,000.00
Real estate at pumping station and lot where

.standpipe is situated 1,000.00

Sundries, ledger 61.40

Standpipe, 100 feet high by 20 feet in diameter,

capacity 31,416 cubic feet 2,839.39

Supplies, miscellaneous, ifsed in opei'ation of plant

to be sold 792.25

Supplies— office 65.61

Tools at pumping station and office 144.58

Liabilities.

Bonds $49,000.00

Capital stock- plant 9,679.14

Interest 815.00

Surplus fund 920.17



$60,414.31 $60,414.31
Cash Statement.

Cash on hand April 1, 1911 $ 2,391.14

Cash received during year from all sources 10.004.68

Cash disbursements $9,045.84

Cash on hand April 1, 1912 3,349.98



$12,395.82 $12,395.82
Rates for Water. Meter rates ranging from 10 to 20 cents per thou-
sand gallons. Rates charged to the cit.v for hydrant rental, $2.75 each per
month, or $33.00 per hydrant per year.

Statement of Pumping Operations

Water pumped K. W. H.

in gallons used Earnings

April, 1911 . . . .' 9,311,540 8,520 $ 85.20

May 15,825,833 13,340 133.40

June 15,557,500 12,725 127.25

July 18,379,442 15,125 151.25

August 15,516,135 13,210 132.10

September 15,957,500 12,000 120.00

October 12,250,000 10,500 105.00



!1,5;30


$ 95.30


10,195


101.95


8,725


87.25


9,840


98.40


9,540


95.40



HISTORY OF rALiior.x COrNTY

November ll.OliO.OOO

December 11,690,000

January, 1912 15,161.271

February 11,480,000

March 12,530,000

Total 164,719,221 133,250 $1,332.50

Electric Lighting and Power Plant

Marsliall was early in possession of a gas plant owued and operated
by private capital, furnishing gas for private and public lighting.

The establishment of an electric lighting plant was first agitated
in 1890, and later was established by a commission appointed by the
mayor, consisting of George H. Southworth, Esf(., William H. Elston
and R. B. Fletcher. This was the foundation of the present equipment.

The electric lighting, as well as the water works department, is in
charge of Philip S. Joy, as superintendent, and the present board of
commissioners consists of R. P. Grant, chairman; Collin Sinclair and
F. S. Deuel; to their efficient management, as well as to that of the
.superintendent, is due. in a great measure, the present excellent condition
of the plant, making it possible for the citizens of Marshall to enjoy
exceptionally low lighting and power rates.

The commission have within the past year replaced, on State street,
the overhead lighting system with the boulevard post lighting system.
Posts bearing five lights, the upper one of 100 Watt ilazda and the four
lower ones of 60 Watt Mazda each, have been placed at a distance of 66
feet apart on either side of the street and around the West End park,
adding greatly to the appearance of the city. besides giving abundant
. light, and is pronounced by many to be the finest system in the state.

This improvement cost about $5,000.00 to install and was entirely
paid for from the profits of the electric plant. The system will un-
doubtedly be extended to other parts of the city and gradually super-
cede the overhead lighting.

Power is also furnished to the various industries of the city at
reasonable rates.

I here (|uote from the annual report of the commission, covering a
period of one year, from April 1, 1911, to April 1, 1912, which is made
in conjunction with the water works report, as the best manner of show-
ing the present condition of the plant and the service rendered the cit.v
and citizens, and attention is called to the same as an example of what
has been and still is being accomplished along lines of economical and
affective public service.

Description and Valuation of Plant, April 1, 1911.



Arc lamps— street $ 1,323.00

Arc lamps — commercial 118.80



258 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

City treasurer — bank $ 2,942.66

Customers ledger 1,494.19

Dam and waterways 26,138.29

Line consisting of all overhead wire, approxi-
mately 46 miles of feeders and 18 miles of
are lighting circuits, poles and pole fixtures. . 16.14:5.93
Machinery and electrical apparatus, consisting of
line shaft, gear wheels, pulleys; 1 General
Electric direct connected revolving field, 250
K. W. generator; 1 Fort Wayne belted gener-
ator of 187 K. V. A. capacity, both gener-
ators 2,300 volt 60 cycles; 3-phase arranged
for synchronizing at switchboard; also two
General Electric 9 K. W. exciters and one
Fort Wayne 7 K. W. exciter, switchboards

and instruments 9,383.86

Meters '. 5,379.10

Power housebuilding 4,251.48

Real estate flowage rights 17,000.00

Supplies — office, including all fixtures 1,209.36

Supplies — including all mateiual to be used in

operation of plant and fixtures to be sold .... 2,923.73

Sundries ledger . .' 558.23

Transformers 2,973.69

Tools at power house and office 215.56

Wheel house and race, including water wheel
e((uipraent, consisting ot' two Leffel Special
50-foot wheels, 1 Sampson 45-foot wheel, 1
Sampson 50-foot wheel with curved draft
tube, all dexeloping 664 ho7'se power 10.702.52

Liabilities.

Capital stock— plant $87,983.73

Bonds 14,200.00

Interest 774.67

.$102,758.40 $102,758.40

Light and Sundries Cash Statement.

Cash on hand April 1, 1911 $ 2,942.66

Cash received during year from all sources 23,276.07

Cash disbursements $20,950.18

Ca.sh on hand April 1. 1912 5,268.55

$26,218.73 26,218.73

Cost of Operating and Maintaining Street Lamps.

19.625 K. W. Del. post lighting cost per K. W. .01465 $ 287.50

177,360 K. W. Del. street lights cost per K. W. .01465 2.598.32



HISTORY OF CALIIOrX COIXTY i>r)9

Carbous $ ^r>.^2

Globes 2:5.4:5

Repair to loops and wires 101 .cSl

Repair to line are circuit 66.08

Trimming 1 10.54

Depreciation on are lamps, $1,:323.00 — 10 per cent 1:52. :50

Depreciation on station transformers and switchboard — 10 per

cent 72.00

Depreciation on line, poles, cross arms, and fixtures — 10 jier cent 5:50.2:5

.$4,008.0:3
Summary of Percentages.

Per cent loss — total generation 1754

Average price received per K. W. total generation 0233

Average price received per K. W. commercial delivery 0407

Cost per K. W. on total generation 01602

Net cash cost per K. W. Del 0144

Net depreciation cost per K. W 0048

Total net cost per K. W 0193

Average price received per K. W. pumping station 01

Average price received ]ier K. W. producing and delivering 01465

Rates for Lighting.

Residence per K. W. H $0.05

Business and factory per K. W. II 04

Minimum rate per month 50

10 per cent discount if paid before flu- 16th of month following
reading of meters.

Price received per year for each arc light 35.00

Price received per year for each street Tungsten light 10.00-

Se\vekac!E System

Until 1899 .Marshall was without a system of sewerage. On MnwU
13th of that year a resolution was introduced into the common council
providing for the construction of an adequate system not to exceed in
cost the sum $25,000.00, and on April 3d the question of bonding the city
for that amount was submitted to the people, and was carried.

The system was constructed by contract and cost about $25,000.00:
of this y



Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 33 of 74)