Washington Gardner.

History of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) online

. (page 49 of 74)
Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 49 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Much might be written about the struggles through which this church
has pa.ssed. A long list of noble, self-sacrificing pastors have labored
here, with a company of zealous men and women, whose desire was al-
ways for God's church and the truth.

There is a tender spot in the hearts of multitudes of men and women
for St. Thomas church, because some event in their lives or in the lives
of their dear ones takes its rise in this parish. Scores of memories sur-
round our sanctuary and nmke it most sacred to us who enter into the
labors of our forefathers.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church

About the year 1833 a Methodist class was formed in Marshall, the
only village in Calhoun county, and a little later twelve miles west at
a settlement called Waupakisco, now Battle Creek.

Rev. Asa Phelps, father of Silas Phelps of Emmett, preached the first
sermon in Battle Creek in 1835 and organized the first class in connec-
tion with the M. E. church, consisting of seven members: Mr. and JMrs.
Samuel Gregory, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Clark, Addison Clark, Miss Altha
Spink and himself. The class book containing these names and the ad-
ditions made to them, was in the Phelps family for many years, and may
now be in existence.

They met first in a log cabin, and then in a log school house, situated
about where the little triangle is, at the intersection of Jackson and Madi-
son streets. Later they bought the present city hall site, opposite the
post office, aud the present church site on the fiat-iron between Main
and Marshall streets. In the year 1859 the trustees built a fine brick
church, with a graceful spire, upob this triangular lot, selling the former
church and lot for a ridiculously small price. This served them splendid-
ly for nearly fifty years.

On February 23, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. L. W. Robinson sent a proposi-



IIISTOKV OK CAMlolN COINTV ;{



Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 49 of 74)