Washington Gardner.

History of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) online

. (page 53 of 74)
Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 53 of 74)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


paper was probably neutral or independent.

The second effort was far more successful. On October 11, 1855,
Lawrence W. Cole started the publication of The Albion Mirror. The
editor of the Mirror was a printer of experience, and probably familiar
with the cpnditions necessary for success in the field ; knew of the fail-
ure of others who had souglit to mold public opinion, or to direct
thought into new channels. Tiie editor chose neutral ground and prom-
ised to maintain a neutral policy as is evident by following statement of
the initial number: "In party politics." said Jlr. Cole, "sucli as Demo-
crat, Loco Foco, Hard Shell, Soft Shell, Hunker, Free Soil, Republican,
Know Nothing and Know Something, we shall be a looker-on. and shall
steer clear of everything which, in our .judgement, will have a tendem-y to
make the friends of either party unfriendly toward us."

The first ten years of the paper's life were stirring and eventful ones;
the war coming on, people were compelled to take sides. We do not know
how long Editor Cole was able to maintain the neutral policy, which
his initial number promised, but we are informed by one of his aged
contemporaries that when the Civil war came on, Mr. Cole's paper was
opposed to it, and that many of his editorials were regarded as disloyal.
His paper then was Democratic in politics, and ever remained so. It is
.said that feeling against the paper l)ecame very bitter, and so pronounced



436 HISTORY OF CALHOUN COUNTY

that it was believed that a conspiracy was formed in all adjoining coun-
ties to come over to Albion and wreck the office. It was, however, headed
off by the counsels of some loyal Albion Republicans.

The Mirror during its firat years was more of a literary publication
than a news sheet. Mr. Cole was an able writer, but his editorials were
more like essays than editorials. That, at least, was the case with the first
year's elfort on the paper, the whole fifty-two numbers of which we have
been privileged to examine.

The Mirror continued as a weekly publication down to some time in
the summer of 1909. It passed, vipon the death of its founder, to his son,
the late Frank F. Cole, and upon his death, it went to the founder's
grandson, Lawrence W. Cole, Jr. For more than half a century the
Mirror was published by the Cole family.

Soon after the grandson came into control of the paper, a stock com-
pany was formed, called The ]\lirror Printing Company, and that con-
cern took over the publication. In the summer of ]90f). the Wcel.bi
Mirror, which had reflected the life of Albion for more than fifty-three
years, was suspended, and the company started the publication of a daily,
which they styled the Mirror Gazcttr. The daily published its last num-
lier January 22. 1910, when its pulilication was also discontinued, and
the Mirror h;is ceased to be a paper of Albion.

A paper known as TJie Herald was the next newspaper effort, but we
have not liccii able to give the date of its founding, or who was its editor.
The office was destroyed by fire in 1867, and to take the place of the
Herald, the h'(conltr was started.

The Albion h\curder was established in May, 1868. Iiy P.issell &
Burgess, as a Republican sheet. The late B. B. Bissell was its tiist editor.
A year later, Mr. Bissell formed a co-partnership with William (i. Heed
and the firm l)ecame known as Reed & Bissell. Later, it came under the
management of Bissell & Warren.

About 1886, Vernor J. Teft, who had been publisher of the Ingham
county Nctcs, became the owner of the paper. After publishing the paper
a few years, Mr. Teft died, and jMrs. Teft became owner of the office.
Later, Newman IMiller, of Springport, bought an interest in the Recorder.
In 1903, a stock company was formed and the Recorder Press Company
was incorporated ; Walter S. and Rex B. Kennedy })ecame the managers
of the company. In 1904, the Dailti Recorder was launched and has been
a success. In 1911, Rex B. Kennedy sold liis stock to Arthur Hudnutt,
and the managers of tlie company now are W. S. Kennedy and Arthur
Hudnutt. The Recorder enjoys a liberal patronage. It circulated in con-
nection with the Kalamazoo Telegraph.

Several other newspaper efforts were started, about a dozen years ago.
A man named Green started a paper called the News, later he started a
daily which he called the Dailn L



Online LibraryWashington GardnerHistory of Calhoun county, Michigan : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principle interests (Volume 1) → online text (page 53 of 74)